State of Decay Xbox 360

7.2

1. Jun 13, 2013
    If anything sums this game up in one sentence it's this: This is a much more difficult GTA clone with zombies in it. You'll spend an enormous amount of time going through everything there is to go through in this game but don't get too side-tracked and expect to take on more than a few zombies at a time. This game is very unforgiving and one wrong move can lead to your character gettingIf anything sums this game up in one sentence it's this: This is a much more difficult GTA clone with zombies in it. You'll spend an enormous amount of time going through everything there is to go through in this game but don't get too side-tracked and expect to take on more than a few zombies at a time. This game is very unforgiving and one wrong move can lead to your character getting killed pretty easily. This is not a bad thing but while other sandbox games encourage exploration of the world, this game is almost the opposite. It wants you to only go out of your home for the bare essentials and come back, basically trying to make it a realistic zombie apocalypse simulator. Two things keep this game from being elite and that are the graphics and the numerous glitches and bugs. First off, the graphics in this game are horrible. PS2 quality graphics at best, and even that's being fairly generous. The bugs on the other hand actually can be game breaking, especially when zombies can morph through walls to eat you. The collision detection in this game is horrendous. Sometimes you'll hit a zombie with your melee weapon and it won't register and others it will while watching the zombies get stuck on every fence they come to can get a little boring after awhile. It feels like the game needed a few extra months of bug testing before they put it out to the mass market. All that aside, this is one of the best games on the 360 right now and, for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong here. The main factor is the sheer amount of gameplay that is involved with this game. You can play this game for days and not even scratch the surface of everything going on with it. The bugs will need to be dealt with in a patch in the future as there are far too many of them in the game as it stands now. But it's not enough of an issue to keep me from recommending it to anyone with a 360. Expand
  2. Dec 17, 2013
    Welcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise thatWelcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise that can revival AAA games. For all Zombie and open world gamers you would be missing out if you hadn't already got your fixture on this game. State of Decay is a excellent Game with ground braking machines and a half hearted story that shouldn't be missed no madder the short comings. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    State of Decay is a fun game because there is nothing quite like it. No other game has successfully achieved surviving in an apocalypse as State of Decay. The gameplay is fun, but the story is mediocre.
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and IThis game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and I had hike back to my base with just a baseball bat and a few snacks. It's things like that, which make this game. If you can look over its obvious flaws like the frame rate issue, the glitches and the occasional face palm moment, you'll find a game which really can be admired and loved. At it's core it feels like an old school game. If you're a fan of casual games which go easy on you, this probably wont be for you. This is a game us zombie fans and survival fans have all been waiting for and although it isn't perfect, it's an incredibly good, deep and well thought out game. I can tell this is something I'll be playing for months to come. Expand
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    This is an excellent game for being bound to the confines of 2GB on XBLA. I will say that if you do not like to:

1. Manage resources 2. Play as a community and not as an individual 3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what 4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships Then you will NOT like this game as its more about those things than it is about combat.

1. Manage resources
    2. Play as a community and not as an individual
    3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what
    4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships

The driving is decent, the combat is fun, shooting is a bit funky but serviceable (its loud and loud is BAD), graphics are decent and the voice acting is well done with a good storyline. Also your choices have real impact. Additionally its a living, breathing persistent world that will continue on without you, so if you log off and are away for a while you will see that either things got a bit better or could have gotten a LOT worse.

The game is large and you could blaze through the story in probably 10 to 12 hours or take your time like I am and I am maybe 1/2 way through with 17 hours logged in.

I am anxiously awaiting the future Class 4 game which is said to be coop or MMO version with the same game mechanics, which are well done and very fun to work with.
  6. Jun 6, 2013
    This is by far the best zombie game ever created. Not only is it open world sandbox it also mixes rpg, resource and community management, and it all works fantastically. This has to be Xbox arcade game of the year. It's ambitious and lives up to it promises of being a realistically fun zombie game that you would be brain dead to not buy this! It's only $20 btw soo worth it!!
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    Another zombie game? Really? Yep. This one, from aptly-named dev Undead Labs, promised to be a different kind of zombie game. Yeah, it's going to be chock full of everybody's favorite brain-obsessed creepies, but lots of games have that. Case in point, the perennial winner of zombie memories, Left 4 Dead. So is this Microsoft Arcade-only (and pricey to boot) release anything special? Is itAnother zombie game? Really? Yep. This one, from aptly-named dev Undead Labs, promised to be a different kind of zombie game. Yeah, it's going to be chock full of everybody's favorite brain-obsessed creepies, but lots of games have that. Case in point, the perennial winner of zombie memories, Left 4 Dead. So is this Microsoft Arcade-only (and pricey to boot) release anything special? Is it worth 1700 Microsoft points? Yes and yes. Let's look at State of Decay, the new breed of zombie apocalypse. First of all, this is not like the vast majority of zombie games: it is an open world, you-get-one-shot, game that requires you to, brace yourselves here, think about what you're doing. You cannot blunder into situations and expect to reliably get out of it. Everything you do, just like in reality, makes noise. Noise attracts zombies. So you need to plan ahead, recon your intended area of operations, and keep your eyes open for uninvited guests. The world is varied, well-made, and the entire thing is part of your game. It's not a lot of set dressing buildings like in Fallout 3: every building can be entered, every building can be searched. You are in a constant need, and thus constant search for supplies of varying descriptions. From weapons and ammo to building and medical supplies, food, and a whole host of inventory items, you need it all to survive and thrive. Every building has the potential to house something valuable, and most buildings contain several searchable containers. (This feeds back into the previous gameplay mechanic genius: you can search slowly and methodically, which takes time, or search quickly, which makes an incredible racket and draws zombies.) The entire map, which is huge, is built for you to explore. The AI is plenty clever, with a very good predator/prey algorithm implementation; zombies are both solo and pack hunters, and react predictably to given simuli. The AI is also smart enough to be stupid, a mark of the well-built AI: it will fall for decoys and tricks, not see through them and cheat because the game knows everything (hey, Need for Speed...lookin' at you). Missions are randomly created and, although a little limited in the number of types, still keeps the game from getting stale. Combat is neither overly complex nor too simplified, and breaks down into melee and firearm, with melee divided into weight classes and weapon types. And, much like Ubisoft's I Am Alive, you must concern yourself with not only health but stamina; overexert yourself and you may find yourself completely winded, surrounded by zombies, unable to fight or flee. But best of all, it's up to you to fortify and improve your base of operations, decide when and where to move, and set up safe houses. You're not stuck with what the game gives you; it's up to you to choose everything. You're given a menu of options for things to build at your base, all of which require a given amount of various supplies. As long as you can cover the cost, you can have what you want, but it's up to you to choose, and choose wisely. Moreso than any game in easy memory, State of Decay puts you in a world that's unbelievably open and gives you so much freedom that if you can see it, you can get there. With all this glowing praise, are there downsides? Yes, there are. Most seriously, the game's interface is somewhat unpolished. It's based on the common journal-as-user-interface frame (with a pleasant Tropico 4 graphical motif), but the player's understanding of the tools and options is left more to trial and error than anything else. Instructions are available, to a degree, but are not very complete and cannot be recalled at will; miss it the first time, and it's gone. On the heels of that is a lack in firearms controls; aiming is arduous, without any sort of aim assist, and against rapidly bobbing and weaving zombies, lining up a shot is downright frustrating. Controls are fixed, so you cannot customize your controller. Vehicle physics are a little too floaty, and the vehicles themselves are severely lacking in durability (probably to avoid balancing problems). You'll receive warnings that fellow survivors may be in trouble, but no solid indication of where they are, leaving you feeling a little helpless from time to time. You cannot recruit other survivors as backup, which means you're usually on solo. This wouldn't be so bad, except that any time any character dies, that's it; it's character permadeath every time. This is a pain as you can spend hours tuning up your "primary" character only to have him chewed up and lost because of bad luck or some unfortunate timing. (Some gamers may enjoy this, as it does add a major sense of urgency!) Some have complained about graphics quality, but it's really not bad at all. So, all told, State of Decay is an excellent game with a few teething troubles. Despite its high cost on XBLA marketplace, it's well worth it for would be World War Z'ers. A solid 8 to State of Decay. Go and enjoy. Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2014
    State of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack ofState of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack of supplies with a horde of zombies right behind you, with your friends desperately trying to save you. This is the game all zombie games will be compared to. Expand
  9. Apr 25, 2014
    This review is designed to help the undecided decide.. I wrote it designed to point out the key parts for those interested....

78 critic score is TOTAL CRAP! Anyone who has played this game for even 1 hour can feel the potential... --it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC

--it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC "Breakdown"..funny how the day after I purchased it, the d@mn DLC goes on "spring-sale" clearance. But I used all my luck years ago...
    ---sound--superb. Funny sayings are cleverly placed into new characters who show up..
    --OPEN WORLD- this is the ultimate prototype for "open World freedom"!! You can travel in a car to the boonies on on the faaar side of no mans land and STILL be able to go inside houses for chance loot able stuff..
    --The Game--you find two kinds of loot.. Backpacks which you return to you're base and get you're stockpile of that resource increased. Like medicine,food,ammo,fuel etc,,((you're people slowly dwindle you're resources daily and mainly you use them to build new buildings that unlock newer features..that's a big part of what's addicting....
    --There's many different buildings that can be used for you're base of operations and you can relocate you're whole clan easy enough..
    ----key feature worth noting--""call for runners"" say ya don't wanna carry the backpack all the way home,,,hit a button and for a few pennies runners come and get it..but with 2 small prices/risks..-1- you don't get the morale points and experience of delivering it...and 2nd and more importantly- there's a chance the guy going to get it (ON-FOOT) can be ambushed and if you don't go physically save him - there's a 50/50 chance he will DIE! And you have no control who the runner is..it could be you're favorite hero..every player in game is playable and every single person is unique and different...
    --also,,the runners going to get the backpack for you actually leave the home base and jog all the way there,,pick up backpack and jog a lil slower now all the way back.. The further the run is the higher the risk..
    --you encounter them here & there if you're really micro managing everything.. Ya get into the flow of this game and will have 20'things all going at same time...

---guys,, play this cheap game before you PERMANENTLY move on to Xbox1..
    --it takes the shooting zombies we love from shooters,,and the beating them down and beheadeding and lambing them from dead island type games we love,,,and the base building of. Tower defense games we love...all while we get attached to the survivors..--

--also--HEROES--when you're on a roll doing good and everyone is happy(not always) heroes show up and need and escort,,if you cane sort them= they will join you and they might be a former swat team sniper!!!or a emergency room dr??or a engineer or auto mechanic??these "heroes" become the leaders and most valuable of you're whole village...if you by chance find say a CHEF,,you can access the menu for feast and special meals that pack amazing results and boost.. It's fulfilling when you score an engineer who can build stuff..

----it's obvious the minds behind this designed a game they too wanted to really play..

The scores for this game are reasons why the scoring is broken and one must "READ THE REVIEWS",NOT JUST THE SCORES.. I WOULD REALISTIC SCORE THIS A *** 9 ***
  10. Jun 10, 2013
    It is very good and fun game. But maybe not for everyone, because it does some thing differently than other games. I found it good and interesting. Some may not like these innovations. For example the world is living in the real time. So if you turn off the game and come back later the stuff will happen meanwhile (buildings will be finished, research will progress, resources will be used,It is very good and fun game. But maybe not for everyone, because it does some thing differently than other games. I found it good and interesting. Some may not like these innovations. For example the world is living in the real time. So if you turn off the game and come back later the stuff will happen meanwhile (buildings will be finished, research will progress, resources will be used, cars will be fixed if you have a workshop, most of the NPC will rest, new missions will be available, etc. Some feel like the game is punishing you for not playing. But I like the idea of a word that lives with or without me).
    It is also using the permadeath design kind of like a Ironman mode in the Xcom. You have a whole community of survivors, you can get a new members. You can switch between them. So if the character dies, it is not a game over, but you loose him permanently. And must switch to different character. because the characters get tired off and injured, you must switch from time to time even if they dont die.
    This element is not so punishing as in the Xcom. It is not so easy to loose completelly so dont be worry. Imho it really ads to the survival element of the game.
    Then there is a base building, so you must gather resources and outposts to keep your home area safe.
    And lastly there is actually not just a random generated content (missions with rescue, etc) but lots of unique missions and event, that happens only once and keep you encountering new stuff for many many hours.
    Also the random missions are time sensitive. So if someone is in trouble and you dont save him, he may die (or not but it is a risk) so often you must decide what to do and what to risk. It is little bit like the Dead Rising, but so punishing.

The only problem is obvious low budget, so the game is not as polished as AAA titles there are framedrops, zombies with half of the body in the walls or floor, or NPC behaving in strange way (running away over half of the map for no reason, etc). And some strange bugs (I was able to fix all by reloading the game) But the patch is coming so this should not be a issue for a long time.
  11. Mar 2, 2015
    Its certainly well put together for an xbox arcade game. Sure its not as polished as a big budget monster but there is loads of potential and heaps to do. If you are happy to accept the odd glitch and not so dazzling graphics it makes up for it with far more originality than yet another generic title from the pond scum developers such as EA and ubis**t.

Possibly the few criticisms would

Possibly the few criticisms would hinge upon a little greater explanation of how to actually build up your base and keep the residents happy. I was stuck for ages with my residents being unhappy and angry and not a clue what to do about it. Additionally you also cannot simply execute the troublesome people with a swift gunshot or swing of an axe to resolve the issues which I suppose is a refreshing change from the grand theft auto style of doing things, albeit a little frustrating at times.
  12. Jun 6, 2013
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me!
    I was expecting a WarZ style of fail, but this game is alot of fun and well worth the money.
    The only issues I have with the game is the clipping of teammates and zombies and some FPS dips. Still, a few technical issues hasn't stopped me from having a blast with State Of Decay! With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me!

With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could have a Top notch sereis on our hands!

Go buy this ASAP, very fun!
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    State of art for "Zombie Survival" game genre. I was looking for a game such as State of Decay from the creation of DayZ mod for Arma II.
    It's like a GTA game but with zombie, resource management, companions and base building. The only under tone thing is the story, a bit cheap and not very deep... but it's ok for a game such great, at the cost of only1600 MP.
    One of my favorite game of
    One of my favorite game of all time.

Thanks Undead Labs

Edit: reduced score to 8/10 for the last campaign mission and the ending... very useless bad ending. I hope better. The game is good but the last 2-3 missions and the ending are something terrible.
  14. Aug 30, 2014
    THE BEST ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME EVER!!!! From perma death, to scavenging, base building, to survivor recruitment, this game has it all. This game is about stealth and survival and not being a zombie killing badd-ass. Full of tension, thrills and strategy you can put in tons of ours into this game.
  15. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing
  16. Nov 14, 2014
    Great game. I bought this hoping I'd get a good 10 hours of gaming out of it. I think I've played through the main story line 6 or 7 times now ... probably 100+ hours now.
    I think I was hooked the on the first playthru the first time I started getting cocky - moved to my first new homestead, had a community of 9 people, had 2 characters rocking some decent fighting stats - and died horribly. Wow. Stayed out looting too long, ran out of stamina and snacks, flipped my car, got zerg'd, and watched the biters tear me in half and munch on my parts. Yes, my best character was GONE.
    PLAY THIS GAME!
  17. Aug 21, 2013
    I can't say that any of the features of this game are better or more intense or the next big thing the game is just basically AN AMAZING FREAKING ZOMBIE GAME. And it's open world. So you just can't go wrong.
  18. Jun 18, 2013
    A fascinating game that strikes solid on expectations. It's an interesting blend of more typical zombie games with a sandbox, turf management mechanic as seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can get very involved in the game very fast, and lose a lot of time to it constantly doing side-quests and exploring without the game ever getting dull. All this from an indie game is fantastic,A fascinating game that strikes solid on expectations. It's an interesting blend of more typical zombie games with a sandbox, turf management mechanic as seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can get very involved in the game very fast, and lose a lot of time to it constantly doing side-quests and exploring without the game ever getting dull. All this from an indie game is fantastic, and with the promise of changes and different successes/mistakes made in every playthru, there is a lot of potential for replay value. Expand
  19. Jul 6, 2014
    One of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have differentOne of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have different stats/traits. It definitely suffers from some problems such as frame rate drops and textures not loading properly, and the story wasn't particularly the best - however the situations i would find myself in more than made up for this and in a sense each player will make their own story depending on what happens to the group of survivors/base they develop Expand
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    This is a very ambitious zombie apocalypse game. You have a large open world (for an XBLA game, at least) to explore. Scavenging for supplies, finding other survivors and upgrading your home base with storage, training areas, etc. are the main draws of this game. Melee combat is made intense with stamina, as attacking or running for too long will develop fatigue, slowing you down andThis is a very ambitious zombie apocalypse game. You have a large open world (for an XBLA game, at least) to explore. Scavenging for supplies, finding other survivors and upgrading your home base with storage, training areas, etc. are the main draws of this game. Melee combat is made intense with stamina, as attacking or running for too long will develop fatigue, slowing you down and leaving you vulnerable. Using guns is risky too as it not only consumes ammo (which isn't too plentiful) but it makes noise, which attracts zombies.Permanent death also adds intensity to the game, because once a survivor is dead, they're dead. With all of these interesting caveats, there are a few problems, mainly mediocre visuals and some weird glitches. But those don't detract from the point of the game: surviving the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  21. Jun 16, 2013
    State of Decay is an open world 3rd person action adventure that takes place in a zombie apocalyptic world. For me this was a very surprising and enjoyable success. I enjoyed the game play the most. Being able to adventure the open world map with little limitations is what I loved. You can venture on foot or jump into an available vehicle to drive. The night and day element and the varietyState of Decay is an open world 3rd person action adventure that takes place in a zombie apocalyptic world. For me this was a very surprising and enjoyable success. I enjoyed the game play the most. Being able to adventure the open world map with little limitations is what I loved. You can venture on foot or jump into an available vehicle to drive. The night and day element and the variety of different types of zombies help set the mood. There's a lot more to get excited about here. The developers added some RPG elements in game too. Being able the upgrade your home base (and can move it) and also acquire outposts around the map. Searching for supplies throughout the world is also important to being able to upgrade you things. Also, you can save and invite into your group other survivors as well which will benefit you as you can send these NPC's on runs for supplies while you take care of other business. Also, to mention that helping other groups can help yourself by adding helpful tools like calling for backup from military support or having a vehicle dropped of at your location. It's also important to mention some of the cool game play features the developer has added like opening vehicle door while driving to take down wondering zombie hordes or smashing through glass windows of houses to make your getaway from attacking zombies. For once I enjoyed all the melee fighting as I found myself using a bat over a gun most of the time. Story is nothing to get excited about but if its game play you love the most with little restrictions than State Of Decay is your game. There are some technical issues like frame rate issues and other character collision issues but as we speak the developer is committed saying they are always improving the game (first patch has already been released). Not sure if they will be able to fix everything but with that aside I still recommend buying this for the price. Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    With the amount of content in this open-world, survival (emphasis on survival) game, $20 is the deal of the century. There are some framerate issues, to be sure, but the game itself is unbelievably compelling and I can't put it down. Very, very impressed.

In addition to the exploration and zombie fighting, there's an interesting fort/companion management mode that really serves to invest the player in keeping the fort safe and the companions alive. The huge open world is full of interesting places to check out and loot, and the Assassin Creed-like survey points help you scope out the best places.

With Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and now State of Decay, 2013 has seemingly been the year of the arcade game so far. I see this as a great thing as each of those games have impressed me, especially at what they are each priced at.

State of Decay is a great game that really deserves the attention it's getting. A very solid 9 score for me.
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    This is probably one of my favorite Xbox Arcade games in a while... It has a few hiccups and it does take away from the experience here and there, but not enough to bore you. There are a few screen tears and ugly texture pop ins, and some of the environments are just blah. But other than that combat is surprisingly fun and much like Dead Island's combat. I love that you can get overwhelmedThis is probably one of my favorite Xbox Arcade games in a while... It has a few hiccups and it does take away from the experience here and there, but not enough to bore you. There are a few screen tears and ugly texture pop ins, and some of the environments are just blah. But other than that combat is surprisingly fun and much like Dead Island's combat. I love that you can get overwhelmed by just a few zombies it really adds an increased fear of death and losing all the loot you just picked up in a house nearby. I also found myself caring about the characters, not like I did in Telltales The Walking Dead, I felt if I lost one I would struggle to scavenge and to not have a buddy help me kill zombies onslaughts. This game packs so much content in for an Arcade game it could probably be sold on a disc for $20-30. It's something new and different, a fresh take on zombies. The story could be better, but its a zombie game and I didn't expect that much from the plot in the first place. The bottom line, get it and I am sure you will enjoy it for a while. Expand
  24. Jun 8, 2013
    If you're one of the unfortunate gamers who won't have a PS3 in time to play The Last of Us in the coming weeks, this is a more than adequate (albeit entirely different) substitute. Many reviews state that this game is the best deal in the history of XBLA, and I concur. For $20 you get a game that mixes the joys of open world exploration in a post-apocalyptic city with the strategy of anIf you're one of the unfortunate gamers who won't have a PS3 in time to play The Last of Us in the coming weeks, this is a more than adequate (albeit entirely different) substitute. Many reviews state that this game is the best deal in the history of XBLA, and I concur. For $20 you get a game that mixes the joys of open world exploration in a post-apocalyptic city with the strategy of an RPG and the over-whelming terror of zombies.

Every structure you find in the game is explorable and often contains supplies you'll need to survive the zombie apocalypse. Combat is simple, but fun. Items break down over time forcing you to decide whether to fight or run for your life.

In fact, my only gripe with this game is that the game penalizes you for not playing all the time. By that I mean, every 24 hours your resources that you've gathered will slowly be depleted and the morale of your stronghold will drop as well. Basically, if you put this game down for a stretch of time, you essentially lose progress. It's a rather frustrating mechanic that makes me wonder if this is what the future holds for Xbox One... but that's a controversial topic for another time and place.

For now, suffice it to say that it's shortcomings (of which there are a few) are easily over-looked with it's $20 price tag and hours of zombie-killing fun.
  25. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game. I'd go so far as to say best zombie game out there. If The Walking Dead franchise is going to have a game they need to take a leaf out of State of Decay's book. Make that TONS of leaves.

Bug-wise, I've only experienced a few very minor ones after hours of play; collision detection is a little wonky sometimes and companions have a nasty habit of blocking doors (and they don't often move when pushed). Aside for those it's been pretty flawless so far and not a single game breaking bug experienced by me. I HIGHLY recommend this game for any zombie/Walking Dead fan.
  26. Jun 7, 2013
    What a lovely surprise this game is. Ok, the graphics and the story are not so lovely, but everything else is.
    With a huge map and a fun gameplay mixing stealth, exploration, combat and survival this game definitely got my attention... and it is just 20 dollars. State of Decay has more content and is more authentic than many triple A games. Its not just another zombie game that is for sure. Buy it!
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    A fun zombie game that relies on scavenging for supplies to keep your people alive. Although it suffers from minor bugs that have since been squashed the game retains the most important factor in a zombie apocalypse game; survival and for a twenty dollar price tag this is a definite buy.

28. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is nothing but pure FUN. And thats what games should be ALL ABOUT. This type of game people have been waiting for, for a very long time. And we got it, and its perfect. Sure it has its bugs and not the prettiest game (to some, i think its fine) but nothing that can't be fixed through an already coming patch by undead labs. This game has been going through the charts and ULThis game is nothing but pure FUN. And thats what games should be ALL ABOUT. This type of game people have been waiting for, for a very long time. And we got it, and its perfect. Sure it has its bugs and not the prettiest game (to some, i think its fine) but nothing that can't be fixed through an already coming patch by undead labs. This game has been going through the charts and UL deserves it. This game is just another acheivment in the gaming industry, that its not all about big budget shooters, but about pure fun. Thats what makes this game, is its actually FUN. Expand
  29. Jun 8, 2013
    I really had high hopes for this game, and I love that it is really freaking hard becaus that is what survival is all about! survive! The enviroment are neat and it feels like you just poped out of a dream into a nightmare
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game impressed me! You can pick any survivor and go out of home base, searching for supplies. You have to be very careful. Make sure to always bring weapons [firearms and a side weapon] and medicine when leaving home base if you wish to survive. You have the ability to bring fellow survivors too. If the character you are playing dies, then you cannot play as that character anymore. Therefore, be careful. One part of the game that is annoying is when zombie hordes come frequently. Another annoying thing is when survivors often end up lost. Can't I ever get a break? I like rescuing survivors. Expand
  31. Jun 11, 2013
    There's been a lot of complaints about this game having "game breaking" glitches and graphical problems. That's a load of bull. Yes there are a lot of glitches and graphical problems, but they are all minor compared to everything else. The game is fully playable and is extremely fun. Obviously there could have been more to the game; online capabilities, co-op, more strategic options toThere's been a lot of complaints about this game having "game breaking" glitches and graphical problems. That's a load of bull. Yes there are a lot of glitches and graphical problems, but they are all minor compared to everything else. The game is fully playable and is extremely fun. Obviously there could have been more to the game; online capabilities, co-op, more strategic options to fortifying defenses, more items and control over them, being able to actually make your home base instead of choosing from the 6 (I think that's all) that are available, etc... But regardless of the minor setbacks it's still an amazing game. I am not a fan of the newer generation of "fast zombies", I feel that style to be very boring and unfitting to the whole concept of zombies. And needless to say there is just a never ending supply of fast zombies, but at least the constant threat of being overrun or alerting a zombie horde is present. While playing you will very rarely find yourself with no place that you need to be, but it won't last for long. The sidequests are constant and can sometimes be overwhelming if you're out gathering supplies. And a lot of people have a problem with the perma death if you die. The game's whole focus is survival and the difficulty of surviving during a zombie outbreak. Perma death fits perfectly with that concept. Expand
  32. Jul 11, 2013
    One of the best downloadable games I've played. It is really realistic, not to DayZ standards, but still great. Wish it had coop though, would make it a lot better
  33. Jun 6, 2013
    While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics...While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics... and in a nutshell it is the gameplay that is the star here. From what I understand the game is almost like a beta for a planned MMO zombie game... if this is true then the game developer is off to a good start and on the right track.

I will not go into the gameplay mechanics that make the game so good as others have already made some great comments on this already. But if you like zombies, RPG's, and survival horror then this is the game for you!
  34. Jun 8, 2013
    AMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head campingAMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head camping on top of a water tower chuckling to himself (day z). 10/10 best game I have played in a long time. Expand
  35. Nov 6, 2013
    Great arcade game. This game has a lot of potential, just needs to be polished and some multiplayer features. I also wouldn't mind the DLC to make the world bigger.
  36. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay provides an awesome zombie survival experience that almost any player can enjoy. First off, before providing all of the great reasons I love this game, I am going to note the few cons that made me give this game a 9. The biggest con is lack of a fast travel system. I know the game focuses on providing a sense of reality during a zombie apocalypse, but at least being able toState of Decay provides an awesome zombie survival experience that almost any player can enjoy. First off, before providing all of the great reasons I love this game, I am going to note the few cons that made me give this game a 9. The biggest con is lack of a fast travel system. I know the game focuses on providing a sense of reality during a zombie apocalypse, but at least being able to travel to your home while you aren't under siege might be nice. Another is no multiplayer, no explanation needed.

This game brings so many aspects of zombie survival into it I can't mention them all. Scavenging is a must carrying rucksacks while avoiding zeds is definitely a memorable experience. The weapon system is nice and the skills to boost your character are helpful.

While many may believe the perma-death ruins the game, I believe it heightens your sense of security so you don't sprint into a horde just to spawn at Home quicker. You are more aware, alert with this system and play stealthily, swiftly, and safely.

Overall, this game is worth your 20 dollars. It could easily be a stand alone game and still get an easy 8 from me. I look forward to more from UndeadLabs, and more updates to SoD.
  37. Aug 15, 2013
    For a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For anFor a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For an arcade release I couldn't have expected much more. Expand
  38. Jun 5, 2013
    This game was a blast, it was more another persons try on dead rising or a Day z for people who don't like to watch paint dry. For the price you are getting a great deal.
  39. Jun 6, 2013
    So I was really excited for this game, and it really didn't disapoint. I give this game a 8 because of the outstanding idea. The gameplay, story, and things you can do would be 10/10. Even the graphics are not too bad considering it's a live game. The main problem I have with State of Decay is the bugs. Seriously... the bugs RUIN this game from being near perfect. Hopefully they willSo I was really excited for this game, and it really didn't disapoint. I give this game a 8 because of the outstanding idea. The gameplay, story, and things you can do would be 10/10. Even the graphics are not too bad considering it's a live game. The main problem I have with State of Decay is the bugs. Seriously... the bugs RUIN this game from being near perfect. Hopefully they will eventually fix it, because it could easily be the best arcade game of the year. Expand
  40. Aug 5, 2013
    My review of State of Decay

SINGLE PLAYER: 8/10. good story, holds up pretty well GRAPHICS: 7/10. nothing special. a lot of pop in, and poor draw distance. also, zombies glitch through walls :/ SOUND: 7/10. serviceable, but not outstanding. decent voice acting GAMEPLAY: 7.5/10. fun but simple fighting and navigation, but poor vehicle handling. there is also a whole assortment of
    My review of State of Decay

SINGLE PLAYER: 8/10. good story, holds up pretty well
    SOUND: 7/10. serviceable, but not outstanding. decent voice acting
    GAMEPLAY: 7.5/10. fun but simple fighting and navigation, but poor vehicle handling. there is also a whole assortment of glitches
    FUN FACTOR: 8/10. it is fun, but needs patches and fixes
    TOTAL: 8/10
  41. Oct 28, 2013
    Its good, its original, there's not that much else that needs to be said, Sandbox RPG Zombie-Apocalypse sums it up. I would definitely recommend it, and I plan to go for a second play through.
  42. Jan 7, 2015
    This was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with theThis was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with the undead. Most individual zombies are straightforward enough to deal with (apart from some of the "freak" ones), but if you're negligent enough to be ganged up on by more than three or four at once without any of your allies in tow then you run a real risk of being a goner. And when one of your most developed characters gets their torso ripped clean off the rest of their body and they're gone for good, it's a real kick-to-the-stomach feeling. The fact that there's the potential for this to happen at any time means you never feel safe in this game, you're always on edge.

In addition, everything I wanted to do, whether it be move my group to a larger home base, or expand the facilities therein, something always seemed to happen to make that goal just out of arm's reach. You're not really playing State of Decay, you really are just survivng through it. Possibly the closest any game has ever come to making you feel how you probably would do if zombies really did take over. It's not the most polished game, a relatively low-budget offering, it's a little rough around the edges technically, but such deficiencies are easy to forgive when you consider the wider picture and the unique experience the game does offer. Even the story is somewhat involving. It's the best Grand Theft Auto game I've played.
  43. Jun 6, 2013
    Now, as Deadly Premonitions is the eccentric but fantastic survival horror, State of Decay is the oddity of the zombie genre, encapsulating many of the best features from the likes of early Resident Evils to DayZ and also introducing a few innovative elements. Whilst it's unpolished and has a few significant defects, there's a certain fun to the overall flow of gameplay, transcending anyNow, as Deadly Premonitions is the eccentric but fantastic survival horror, State of Decay is the oddity of the zombie genre, encapsulating many of the best features from the likes of early Resident Evils to DayZ and also introducing a few innovative elements. Whilst it's unpolished and has a few significant defects, there's a certain fun to the overall flow of gameplay, transcending any setbacks from low framerates and cumbersome combat.

The take on a post-apocalyptic world and a community within it, which you lead from a multitude of characters through 'influence', is a brilliantly fresh aspect to merely survival, it's construction from the ruins of the civilization clearly experienced: progression as is the direction this game takes. You're not only acquire resources for yourself and each decision isn't without consequence there's a bigger picture, as is the case of a societal collapse.

You must scout, accumulate resources, choose a base, improve defenses, establish facilities, search for survivors, improve weaponry, amass influence and maintain influence all factors to add a layer of depth to an otherwise straightforward survival game already enjoyable.

Go and lead through the apocalypse, not simply wander as a vagrant survivor.
  44. Jul 20, 2013
    Now SoD definitely deserves a spot among games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island. This $20 title is absolutely brilliant. It runs fairly fast, and I had little to no bugs during my playthrough. The graphics are great, the OST fits all situations, and the gameplay...ohhhh that gameplay. You know a zombie game is great when you can even feel the struggle of your character's survival. Can'tNow SoD definitely deserves a spot among games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island. This $20 title is absolutely brilliant. It runs fairly fast, and I had little to no bugs during my playthrough. The graphics are great, the OST fits all situations, and the gameplay...ohhhh that gameplay. You know a zombie game is great when you can even feel the struggle of your character's survival. Can't wait to see a sequel. Expand
  45. Nov 1, 2013
    A very well-executed take on the open-world zombie apocalypse trend. It is, by far, one of the best ones we've gotten yet. The character animations are smooth, the world design is believable and varies every inch, there's a lot to explore and do. The combat is smooth and fun, and you can upgrade your home base to do many things such as allow overtime weapon and vehicle repairs.

That's

That's right, this game has cars, that you can drive in the open world, not many games of this type have done it let-alone done it correctly. There is no main playable character, as you change survivors often in order to prevent over-tiring any of them in particular. You can scavage equipment and save them in your base so other survivors may use them when you begin to play them, you can maintain the mood of of your base crew and upgrade your fortress in order to keep zombies away.
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    This game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use andThis game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use and equipment? Yes, but I'm also alluding to the element of real survival. The game play in this small arcade title is one of the most unique I have seen in the zombie franchise. You have to build a fortress, and keep it secure. You have to collect food, medical supplies and ammo for your 'community' to survive; and that's just topping the iceberg. With this game you can literally go in any house and scavenge or find something random.

For example I was in town on a supply run for the base when I came across a house and I heard gun shots inside. Two of my other survivors who I had saved were also on a supply run but were getting trapped. When I entered the house they were dead. Now if I had gone back before and saved them they would of trusted me more and I would gain more influence around the base camp.
    So as you can see.. this is just one small example of the choices and decisions you have to make in this zombie 'survival' game.
  47. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a very good game... I kinda think it is a well done mimic of DayZ but it is done very well and i'm glad I got the game.... It gets updated and for 20 dollars... But it has its problems but the quality is very good I recommend it.
  48. Jun 6, 2013
    9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out after dark unprepared and if you wouldn't take on 10 zombies alone in real life you probably shouldn't in this game either, you will die and death is permanent. Expand
  49. Jun 6, 2013
    This game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game thatThis game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game that would have been at more at home on the PS2, but I was undeniably hooked once I had worked my way through the tutorial missions at the beginning. I haven't really had time to explore the resource management aspect of the game yet (you can strike out from a base of operations, recruiting survivors and scavenging for resources), but there's a definite thrill gained from sneaking into shops or gas stations, looking for medicine, food or fuel to keep your community going. The game seems quite buggy at present, with zombies (or 'zeds', in the games parlance) just popping in randomly sometimes, or glitching through walls. Also, a quick glance at both user and professional reviews will repeatedly mention the camera; it's not great, and can prove annoying when trying to sneak about, especially when hiding in the undergrowth. But it's fiendishly addictive, and I'm now writing this review at 1am after a solid four hours of play, when I had only intended to pop the game on for half an hour or so. Fans of GTA, The Walking Dead and, of course, DayZ will definitely want to check this out, and I can't wait to see what future updates bring. If they enabled online multiplayer/co-op, this game would just explode. Check out the demo, see what you think, and don't be afraid to persevere for a rewarding experience. Expand
  50. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a goodThe game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a good zombie survival game for those with some free time on their hands. Expand
  51. Jun 30, 2014
    Fiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to makeFiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to make tough decisions, look after your 'camp' and also rewards you for putting in time and effort. I played a good 18 hours of the game, and I still want to play more. The game is very original (especially with its real-time gameplay), and addictive. Just make sure you take breaks from this game, don't turn into a zombie yourself!
    This is an absolute must for zombie fans! Go eat them brains!
  52. Oct 10, 2013
    Anyone who complains about this game not being good because it is too punishing should get their head checked. Permadeath and real time continuation (even with game off) makes for a tense gameplay indeed. Usually in such games, you can leave a mission forever, in SoD, there is a reasonable timeframe (there needs to be or you wouldn't be able to stop playing it or everyone would die). IfAnyone who complains about this game not being good because it is too punishing should get their head checked. Permadeath and real time continuation (even with game off) makes for a tense gameplay indeed. Usually in such games, you can leave a mission forever, in SoD, there is a reasonable timeframe (there needs to be or you wouldn't be able to stop playing it or everyone would die). If you do leave a mission too long, thinking main quest lines will always be there, do not be fooled.
    The best feature of SoD is the societal mechanics and group formation of your survival pack. You can establish outposts, set up traps in them, scavange supplies. If you're weighed down you can call in a runner, who runs across the map in real time to search and take all the supplies there. Certain characters respond better to others in different quests, and each are affected by fatigue, hunger and sickness. This can be avoided in building a workshop and using materials to construct extra bedding, or a watch-tower etc.
    I will talk more about the negative features of the game, solely because there's enough positive already.
    The game is at times buggy, and it seems interesting that everyone advises against you using a car, as it can alert zombies, even though in a car you can plow through hordes and hordes before the car becomes unusable.
    I won't go into graphics, with the exception of saying they are good. Regardless of what people say, graphics dont really matter that much.
    The inclusion of "special" zombies is an irritation, as it seems like they were simply thrown in for some extra difficulty, with little or no regard for the fact that they don't fit in at all. If most zombies can go down in a headshot, why create a fat one who takes 5+headshots? It removes the sense of believability.
    The game world itself is wonderful to explore, each house is unique and searchable, and the potential always draws you in. However, with the amount of missions on your screen at any one time, you never really get the chance to do some proper exploration.
    The game is also very emotionally distant. If someone (your best friend) dies, nothing happens bar a little notification on your screen. You will not become emotionally attached to characters or situation- it is certainly not trying to be TellTale Games: The Walking Dead.
    Lastly, the system to swap between characters is excellent, however you cannot trade weapons between them, so you will have some characters without weapons who can only get them by going into where they would need weapons. If you don't have enough influence to buy weapons from the community, you wont have enough to bring someone with you to help you find a weapon. I do not believe getting a playable member to accompany you should cost influence.
    In summary, despite its few flaws, and the potential negative impacts of permadeath and real-time, as well as rediculously punishing auto-saves (dont bother screwing up something and trying to reload to before it happened) SoD is at its heart a fantastic open world infection game, with solid core mechanics
  53. Jun 5, 2013
    big, scary and awesome; it's reminds me of walking dead season 1. the game has its flaws, but nothing that ruins it. scavenge, build bases, make friends and enemies and beat zombies to pulp. i also love that death is permanent (but you can play as any ally from your base).

you need to try this game.
  54. Jun 6, 2013
    Great game, Good fun with plenty to do. It keeps you entertained while the time fly's by.

Biggest dissapointment is the fact it has no CO-OP or multiplayer.

1600 MP is not bad really.
  55. Jun 12, 2013
    IF you love zombies or survival games GET THIS NOW!! the game is very realistic to the zombie mythos. the story is not the best. There are a lot of glitches like zombies clipping through walls and windows. that also happens with your partner. there is so much to explore like a couple farmhouses small homes gas stations and a city hall. the guns is the game seem underpowered every time iIF you love zombies or survival games GET THIS NOW!! the game is very realistic to the zombie mythos. the story is not the best. There are a lot of glitches like zombies clipping through walls and windows. that also happens with your partner. there is so much to explore like a couple farmhouses small homes gas stations and a city hall. the guns is the game seem underpowered every time i shot even the gun models looked weak. and there are melee weapons too with nails sticking out one end. To baseball bats ammo is scarce across the world for real! the zombies are very dangerous in a group of 1 or 2 you can take them on. But if you encounter a horde on foot your DEAD! And once that character is dead there dead forever. Expand
  56. Nov 15, 2013
    Fantastic. From the sneaking house to house for supplies, to offing straggler zombies in your way, plowing them over in cars, and managing and economizing your home base, this game is great. Perma-death makes your decisions very important, and intensifies the game play. New survivors are always spawning, but the stats you earn from using characters is where you can grow attached to oneFantastic. From the sneaking house to house for supplies, to offing straggler zombies in your way, plowing them over in cars, and managing and economizing your home base, this game is great. Perma-death makes your decisions very important, and intensifies the game play. New survivors are always spawning, but the stats you earn from using characters is where you can grow attached to one moreso than others.

With State of Decay's success, I'm really looking forward to future installments.
  57. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the great XBLA games,gameplay is really good.
    Pretty good open world game,but co-op should be there.
    Anyway,if score is needed it gets 8/10: MUST HAVE FOR ZOMBIE FANS!
  58. Jul 15, 2013
    a pretty good game good thing than when you die you re spawn as a new survivor and can get your stuff back and do not have to restrat the story its a perty good game
  59. Sep 23, 2013
    Hell yeah! ladies and gentlemen the RPG zombie game we want. this game feels so polished and feels like it has alot of potential alot of other rpg zombie games could not achieve, and with the PC release coming soon, forget this on the xbox and you thought that was good! imagine mod support and... increased graphics! XBLA game of the year!!! buy plz.
  60. Nov 21, 2013
    An incredibly well thought out game for an excellent price from an indie developer constantly in touch with their fan base. Undead Labs vision of an apocalyptic zombie filled open world brings in aspects of several great open world titles and throws in much of their own unique twist.

An absolute must buy.
  61. Jun 7, 2013
    Very impressed by this game. It has some "jank" but it makes up for that in spades with an engaging world, fun gameplay, and creative ideas. The mortality concept keeps me on the edge of my seat and makes the game actually scary at times. This is the zombie game I've been waiting for all these years. I cannot wait to see what these guys do next.
  62. Jun 5, 2013
    Having been disappointed by games like War Z, Dead Island, and Dead Rising this one finally hits the mark that zombie games should be aiming for. State of Decay is a combination of a LOT of genres including survival, action, RPG, strategy, and simulation. While it doesn't exactly nail each of these genres in the gameplay it comes pretty damn close.

SoD is a game that is not based about

SoD is a game that is not based about a singular character in a linear storyline but rather a community of characters in a dynamic sandbox environment. Yes, there are missions and quests but they seem to be optional and the player can play at their own pace (with some exceptions). That being said, the difficult does ramp up as you progress further in the storyline. This sort of gameplay is a unique and refreshing take on zombies and you'll be pressured to avoid combat rather then shoot your way through it. This game does feature permanent death so making mistakes can easily and quickly kill off your favorite character causing you to play as another team member.

Characters in the game are mostly semi-randomly generated with the exceptions being storyline or plot characters and, for me, they are the core of the game. While they could use a bit more visual variety (mostly with the heads) they all have unique traits, skills, and abilities that make them valuable to your community. Furthermore, you have an outpost that you call home and can use resources to build additions, upgrade, and perform unique functions with it giving you distinct advantages. These choices matter and are hard; do you build a garden for food or a workshop to repair vehicles? With the pressure this game provides it is difficult to make these difficult decisions.

Downsides of the game is that there are technical hurdles that I hope the developer will fix and the game does tend to become increasingly difficult making it difficult to survive. Some performance lag does occur when driving or when multiple enemies are on the screen at one time. I also find night time terrifying and wish there was an option to just sleep through it. It is also somewhat difficult to trade items and equipment as you must drop everything in storage, switch characters, and then pick it up. Lastly, there is no multiplayer (though the developers have hinted at wanting to do a co-op DLC). I feel that most of these issues can be addressed and resolved through patches, difficulty sliders, and a few game options.

Anyways, SoD is looking to be a huge XBOX Live Arcade hit and is one sale for $18-20 or 1600 MS points. If you've been waiting for that "real" zombie survival simulator then give it a shot.
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    Best zombie survival game ever! I love the combination of resource-management, building your base and go for raids! The game has a very immersive atmosphere and you will never know what comes next. So be prepared
  64. Jun 21, 2013
    Finally a zombie game that focuses on survival. The story is not a highlight at all and there are a lot of bugs but you need to enjoy this game for the little things. From having to go on runs for supplies which don't respawn by the way) to having to debate weather your safe at your home or if going to save someone is worth the risk to even having to put down your infected survivors ThisFinally a zombie game that focuses on survival. The story is not a highlight at all and there are a lot of bugs but you need to enjoy this game for the little things. From having to go on runs for supplies which don't respawn by the way) to having to debate weather your safe at your home or if going to save someone is worth the risk to even having to put down your infected survivors This game will be overlooked by a lot of people but it truly is a SURVIVAL horror game Expand
  65. Jul 12, 2013
    The ultimate zombie apocalypse experience. It has everything you want in a zombie survival game scavenging, finding survivors, resource management, open-world, driving, and of course zombie killing. The combat is deep, the RPG system is solid, the stealth system adds a good mix the game is more about simulation than for story (Not a bad story, just you can clearly tell the developersThe ultimate zombie apocalypse experience. It has everything you want in a zombie survival game scavenging, finding survivors, resource management, open-world, driving, and of course zombie killing. The combat is deep, the RPG system is solid, the stealth system adds a good mix the game is more about simulation than for story (Not a bad story, just you can clearly tell the developers intended this to be about the experience and not the story) but this game gets a 9 instead of a 10 because it is one of the buggiest games I've ever played. (Though it gets a 10 on the fun factor) Most importantly, this is ONLY an Arcade game and not a full retail game. Honestly, I would have dished out a full 60 for this game (especially with so many poor quality 60 dollars games that's been coming out as of late) Expand
  66. Sep 10, 2016
    I love this game, had for ages, but i feel like more could of been added, why not coop or multiplayer? Other than that it is one of the best arcades that should never be forgotten
  67. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is great. Way too many games nowadays trade million dollar art budgets for actual game depth and complexity. This game is a step in the right direction. The mechanics are relatively fun and addictive, although not really perfect. You get a host of characters who can all grow and get a random selection of several different skills to level up. There is a selection of enemiesThis game is great. Way too many games nowadays trade million dollar art budgets for actual game depth and complexity. This game is a step in the right direction. The mechanics are relatively fun and addictive, although not really perfect. You get a host of characters who can all grow and get a random selection of several different skills to level up. There is a selection of enemies and hordes but only a couple are really dangerous. There is a large selection of weapons, but many are similar to one another and there aren't really weapons with bonuses or anything. Some downsides of the game: The theme is decay and eventual loss of all resources, but there are idiosyncratic ways to draw out resources like double harvesting caches (scav call then self scav) and not searching the last object in a house (causes house to revert to completely unsearched after a while). The enemies and quests can get redundant (especially the community member morale quests) and the enemies who are dangerous are just obnoxiously so, as in once you get hit you can easily get chain hit to death with little recourse. So fighting mechanics exist but are not especially complex, and gun/bomb use is not that complex or interesting either. So mostly it is a strategy game. Expand
  68. Jun 5, 2013
    Very cool game, unique. Between fetching supplies and trying to keep everybody alive I'm loving it. Some flaws like screen tearing. Somehow the quests don't feel repetitive.

Best arcade game since Scott Pilgrim for me.
  69. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is amazing, original and much better than last of us, because you have more freedom in it. Is worth it to get an xbox just to play this piece of art
  70. Jun 8, 2013
    Proof that a good game doesnt need to be headed by a multibillion dollar company. Yes, I'm giving this game a 9. To sum it up this game is basically DayZs little brother mixed with a little GTA and AC. The primary focus is to maintain your base of survivors and scavenge towns for supplies. There is a mixture of melee and ranged combat with the standard "zombies rules" (headshots kill,Proof that a good game doesnt need to be headed by a multibillion dollar company. Yes, I'm giving this game a 9. To sum it up this game is basically DayZs little brother mixed with a little GTA and AC. The primary focus is to maintain your base of survivors and scavenge towns for supplies. There is a mixture of melee and ranged combat with the standard "zombies rules" (headshots kill, guns/cars/breaking windows/making noise searching through supplies make noise that attracts zombies). This game provides a real sense of survival that zombie games as of late have been lacking. Sure, it has its bugs. So did Skyrim. And I have yet to come across a bug that has hindered my gameplay experience of a $20 downloadable title. Also, a patch has already been in the works to fix most of the major issues. Someone did something right with State of Decay, because its the fastest selling DLC on XBLA and the 2nd selling game behind Minecraft. Try it, its great Expand
  71. Jun 6, 2013
    In two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teethIn two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teeth it was incredibly satisfying. If you're a fan of zombie games, or even someone looking for something unique, you must absolutely at least give this a try. Expand
  72. Jun 8, 2013
    Perfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & aPerfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & a real badass. It's late night during the zombie apocalypse & I'm cruising in what looks like a sweet 67 chevelle ss or something similar. My car is slightly on fire but nowhere near exploding & I was being cautious avoiding zombies as to not further damage My sweet muscle car that I was planning on parking so My workshop could do some repairs overnight. Low & behold I'm going down a dark road & the frickin road runs out & I crash into a deep ravine upon which My car explodes & Marcus, the main zombie slayer of My crew, dies instantly. I was in utter shock. Once it wore off I realized how amazingly cool this game truly is for providing Me such a powerful moment in gaming history!!! Totally unique, never felt anything quite like it. I could of course just have continued without him, but therein lies the genius of State of Decay. I WANTED to start a new game, I wanted to take all My knowledge gained & apply it again in a fresh play through & make sure My main man Marcus didnt make such a painfully tragic mid-game death, & so I went back to menu & pressed "start new game" & was never happier to be replaying it all over again for a better result. Now about 8hrs in I'm further than I was before & Marcus is alive & kicking major ass!!! This game isn't technically flawless, but it has so much under the hood you can easily forgive a few scratches in the paint!!!

Please support Undead Labs!!!! This game MUST be added onto & made into the superb MMO it is meant to be!!!! Fair warning: atmosphere & emotion drive this game, if you are a boring person who finds no pleasure in danger, fear of death, & constant conflict in gaming then go back to your linear & predictable big-name franchises & let the game hold your hand til your dead. This is a balls-to-the-wall survival-horror rpg that plays like a run-down GTA. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! You may want to play some more CoD or Gears until you're 90, but I'm supporting FRESH IDEAS & the companies that TAKE RISKS to offer bold new gameplay!!!
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    As a cheap arcade title, this game is worth every penny. It is a step in the right direction for that perfect open world zombie survival game that we have all been waiting for. If Undead Labs continues on doing what they originally implied, then this game is the starting point to a zombie survival MMO called "Class 4" for PC and Xbox 360. The element of survival is always there. Never goAs a cheap arcade title, this game is worth every penny. It is a step in the right direction for that perfect open world zombie survival game that we have all been waiting for. If Undead Labs continues on doing what they originally implied, then this game is the starting point to a zombie survival MMO called "Class 4" for PC and Xbox 360. The element of survival is always there. Never go out alone in concentrated areas or you will never make it. The depth of this game is unprecedented when it comes to weapons, skills, base creation, etc. I give this game a 10 simply because it is a steal for the price. But it does have a few minor issues such as frame rate and lag when entering new areas. Also the combat is a bit lackluster. But this stuff is very easy to overlook once you start getting in to it. Expand
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    I decided to pick up state of decay on the day of released, and man, was I surprised at how fun it was. I really enjoy the game mechanics and I had been looking for an open world zombie game like this for a while. Sure, the game has its fair share of graphical mishaps and bugs, but they are very easy to work past and enjoy the game. For an arcade title, there is easily 10-20 hours ofI decided to pick up state of decay on the day of released, and man, was I surprised at how fun it was. I really enjoy the game mechanics and I had been looking for an open world zombie game like this for a while. Sure, the game has its fair share of graphical mishaps and bugs, but they are very easy to work past and enjoy the game. For an arcade title, there is easily 10-20 hours of quality playtime, possibly a lot more if you enjoy scavenging and helping your group of survivors survive..

The developers have been starting to release title updates which improve the graphical bugs and annoyances a lot. Also, they have said they plan to implement co-op into this game which would add even more re-playabilty. So, if you're into zombie games and enjoy open worlds, SoD is a must buy.
  75. Jun 5, 2013
    good game way better then WarZ even better then dayZ but of course it is coz dayz is a mod anyways this game kicks ass
  76. Jun 9, 2013
    I give it a 9, completed the game after over 20 hours and im still playing it! I would give it 10 but so many bugs and fps issues but they aren't ruining the great gameplay and athmosphere.
  77. Jul 14, 2013
    I got the South African version of the game yesterday after a long wait and it's absolutely worthe every microsoft point in the price. One of the best zombie games yet, competing with the full retail likes of dead rising, dead island and left for dead! Love the game structure, and regular patches fixing all the major and finar flaws which caused bad review scores. Get this game NOW!
  78. Jul 25, 2013
    Without a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot ofWithout a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot of content are not going to be let down by State of Decay there is a plethora of weapons of all kinds, vehicles, and survivors to mingle with. However this game does come with a few bugs, but if you can see past them this game really does become enjoyable. You can play as just about anybody that you befriend. Speaking of people the game introduces you to life-like people, with their own struggles and emotions, one time I really started to like one of my survivors and while playing as her she was brutally killed in combat- it really hit me like nothing else really has. This just goes to show you how diverse and in-depth the game really goes....

It doesn't stop there new features are going to be introduced to the game including Sandbox Mode, Multiplayer, and a port to PC.
  79. Jun 16, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It has several technical issues with frame rate etc. but they don't interfere with the gameplay. The amount of content and depth makes buying this for 20$ a no brainer.
  80. Jun 6, 2013
    A "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects allA "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects all come together to create an experience that is taxing on the nerves, intellect, and reflexes in an absolutely delightful way. This is the closest you will ever want to get to a real zombie apocalypse. Expand
  81. Aug 20, 2013
    There are too many zombie games and movies, but this is the best survival-zombie game I've played. It is too small and short, and I would have like to see more aggressive zombies in terms of mounting assaults on my base. Hopeful the devs make another, and if they do, I would like more model diversity, especially with the more advanced zombie types. Overall this is well worth the askingThere are too many zombie games and movies, but this is the best survival-zombie game I've played. It is too small and short, and I would have like to see more aggressive zombies in terms of mounting assaults on my base. Hopeful the devs make another, and if they do, I would like more model diversity, especially with the more advanced zombie types. Overall this is well worth the asking price, if you like the idea of a small-scope, GTA-like survival game. Expand
  82. Jun 11, 2013
    State of Decay has shocked me. I was first skeptical about this game and was wondering whether the £14 price tag was really worth it, well let me tell you. You're in for a ride.

Free Roam, 3RD person, zombie apocalyptic atmosphere and all round brilliant game play mechanics make this game the perfect zombie game we have all been waiting for. Granted it is not perfect with the many bugs and various glitches but for £14 you are getting what you pay for and more. I would go as far to say that this game could have become a full retail game with a rescale of the map and a bit more content but at its standard at the moment, an arcade game going for £14 is perfect and just what consumers are looking for.

Of course, this game would have got a solid 10 from myself if it was not for the one thing every consumer has been begging for, they have emailed, posted on forums and petitioned for something you would think every zombie apocalyptic game would have... Co-Op. It is not there and needs to be, it is such a perfect game to incorporate co-op and is a real shame that was not released at launch, but we can all hold our breaths for a post-release update that will hopefully come our way that includes that game mode we are all waiting for.

That's it really, a great team of developers who are quick and responsive with a Title Update 1 coming just a couple of weeks after release. It is a perfect game at an even more perfect price.
  83. Jun 15, 2013
    -Graphics- 7/10. The graphics aren't the worst, but they aren't up to par with other Xbox 360 games. Still, the world is vast and beautiful (for a zombie apocalypse, that is), and nothing really looks the same. A lot of diversity with buildings.

-Performance- 7/10. This game has a lot of bugs and frame rate drops, especially while driving in a vehicle. Zombies are seen through walls and doors, and sometimes they are stuck, along with the playable characters. It isn't too distracting, though. Small bugs that really don't kill the game play.

-Game Play- 10/10. This is where it REALLY shines. You have an open world full of zombies, and there are a ton of things you are able to do. You have to scavenge for supplies to help your group of survive, and you always have missions to do, where you can kill zombies, rescue survivors, scavenge for something that your group wants, etc. But this is what really makes the game.

-Sound- 9/10. The sound is great. The zombies sound realistic, and they sound scary when you are trying to sneak around in a house, scavenging and what not. The Screamers really get you, when they let out a piercing scream when they see you. The sound is great for the game.

-Conclusion- Multiplayer really should be added, because it would really make this game a 9 or a 10. But I give it a solid 8/10. The bugs can get annoying at times, but aren't game breaking, and the graphics are definitely not up to par with current Xbox 360 games, but other than that, the game really shines, and is well worth the $20 for it.
  84. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt in my mind the best zombie game I've ever played. The game feels nice, looks nice, and plays nice. Definitely one for the zombie killer in all of us. I strongly recommend it.
  85. Jun 9, 2013
    State of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio andState of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio and fighting and wits to make things easier for you if you get your wits up you search things fast. You also have a base with survivors that you need to take care of. You do this by going on supply runs which is my favorite part about this game exploring for supplies it captures the feel of a zombie apocalypse perfectly. It feels like zombieland more than anything. For example i was out in the forest when i came along a road and saw a supermarket across the street which had medicine and food i ran towards it when a horde spotted me i ran into the super market to be greeted with more i killed some grabbed the supplies ran outside found a truck and hightailed my ass out of there. Moments like these is what makes the game fun. But this game has some glitches and bugs holding it back a little once these get patched though its a 10 out of 10 game for me but even now i suggest you go and buy it its great Expand
  86. Jan 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It`s like GTA with zombies, you get explore and infiltrate homes full of zombies to get supplies to survive, as well as rescue hostages alongside missions. Expand
  87. Jun 21, 2013
    First off, State of Decay has problems. There are numerous clipping issues, graphical problems, mechanical issues, etc (some of which has been fixed in the patch). Many people are claiming the game is "hard", I would say State of Decay has a high learning curve. There are so many things the player needs to balance, such as: supplies for the home and character, leveling up characters,First off, State of Decay has problems. There are numerous clipping issues, graphical problems, mechanical issues, etc (some of which has been fixed in the patch). Many people are claiming the game is "hard", I would say State of Decay has a high learning curve. There are so many things the player needs to balance, such as: supplies for the home and character, leveling up characters, morale, missions, and other details. State of Decay is challenging in a fun, but occasionally frustrating way. S.O.D. is a open world survival game that has zombies in it that requires the gamer to do more then then shoot and smash zombies. S.O.D. is a downloadable title and has a lot of value in the price tag, while the main storyline is a bit short, the game in its entirety is quite long. Expand
  88. Jun 15, 2013
    The IGN review is pretty accurate for this title. I wish it would have been a full budget title, but maybe there will be a sequel. Great fun, but with a few of the pitfalls of all sandbox games.
  89. Jun 5, 2013
    This is the zombie game I've been waiting for. It delivers on all the promises UndeadLabs made. Its successfully combines everything from the iconic zombie games of the past.
  90. Jun 9, 2013
    Some annoying flaws keep this game from being a sublime "true" horror-survival game. That said, its still one of the best zombie games. What it does attempt is great, and where it falters can be mostly fixed with a patch or three.
    The combat is functional, but not particularly fun. The zombies start off kind of laughable, but soon their ability to 'hear' you can draw waves of them to your current location. Some run, some jump for your neck. Its not so easy to get away. Two zombies is not such a chore, but a 'special' zombie or 4 regular ones (or more) and maybe discretion is the better part of valor.
    I disliked the rushed pace the missions were given to me, barking on the radio about them frequently and unlocking sometimes 5 at a time. Some missions have a shelf-life, but you don't know which ones will expire.

+positives
    The base building is pretty well done, many options and dealing with morale and moods
    Scavenging is fun and often needed
    Tons of items to hoard
    Many weapons, ranged and melee. They can break but there is a way to repair them.
    Its got a learning curve, and sometimes its hard, thats a good thing sometimes.

-negatives
    The lack of a wingman really hurts(or even a small team), you have to do nearly all the misisons alone.
    Radio girl wants you to do all the missions, NOW
    Some of the team building issues 'anger management' come up a bit too frequently
    Cars are fairly finite, but quite OP. Way better than grenades.
    Decent graphics, but zombies clip through walls, half-vanish through front porch, such oddities.
  91. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is what I've always wanted for a zombie game. With nice survival elements and good combat. It makes use of a neat system where zombies are attracted by sound (Guns, Cars, Looting, Melee combat etc). Aside from the FPS drops and screen tearing this game is a solid zombie survival game. You are given the choice to be the player who builds up the home area and acquires moreThis game is what I've always wanted for a zombie game. With nice survival elements and good combat. It makes use of a neat system where zombies are attracted by sound (Guns, Cars, Looting, Melee combat etc). Aside from the FPS drops and screen tearing this game is a solid zombie survival game. You are given the choice to be the player who builds up the home area and acquires more survivors to build a colony or you can be the lone wolf all your choice. Cars are good but I find myself to be running or sneaking around. If you enjoy zombie games L4D, DayZ, (It takes certain aspects of these games and very nicely makes this game) Then State of Decay is for you. At a price of 1600 msp its worth it, there is always the free trial if you are unsure. Expand
  92. Jul 12, 2013
    This is the only true Survival Horror game I have ever played. State of Decay would be an easy 10/10 if the few glitches were not present. At the price of $20, the value is incredible.
  93. Jun 18, 2013
    Best twenty dollar game ever. Finally a zombie game that's more about survival then talking to people. Very good rpg elements and home base strategy. It has broke arcade download records. Ten million since release is amazing.
  94. Jun 22, 2013
    First of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetchFirst of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetch quests, there is so much you can do even little things like barricading a window with a hammer, board and nails made me smile because stuff like this is so often over looked. You can play as different characters who all have specific skills and you always have to be on guard when a character dies they are dead for good. It really makes your choices impactful. If you have character X all buffed up with killer stats and you get over run by a horde and that character dies it can reallly effect your game. Some might think this is unfair or what not but I feel it makes the game all that more realistic. For being an XBLA game you are getting more content then most triple A $60 games out there these days.. No 4 hour snooze fest like Metal Gear Rising or Halo 4's short campaign. For the price of the game it is seriously worth its weight in GOLD. The game isn't perfect though as it has some minor clipping issues and the voice acting (ie how their mouths move when speaking) isn't the greatest but that aside I would recommend this game to ANYONE who even has a remote interest in zombies. Its refreshing to finally play a DECENT zombie survival title. In closing the last thing I can tell you is if you buy this DO NOT use your credit card information over XBL. I've had my identity stolen 3 times now because of this. Expand
  95. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take aThis game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take a break, after 1 hour, I feel like Ive been away for hours. Get this! Expand
  96. Jun 6, 2013
    With so-so graphics and the occassional frame rate or glitch State of Decay is still a whole lot of fun and intense zombie-killing action! HUGE open world with lots to see and do. Scary, intense and stress-inducing. Clocked almost 15 hours and barely scratched the beginning. Must buy if you are into the whole End of the World Zombie stuff.
  97. Jun 10, 2013
    Saw it on Xbox Arcade and downloaded the trial version. After playing for about 30 min I began to understand the vastness of the environment, possibilities, gameplay-elements and decided to buy it. I can't stop playing, there is always something else to do, someone to save, supplies to be gathered etc, this may sound like its repetitive, but you get in a lot of unique unpredictableSaw it on Xbox Arcade and downloaded the trial version. After playing for about 30 min I began to understand the vastness of the environment, possibilities, gameplay-elements and decided to buy it. I can't stop playing, there is always something else to do, someone to save, supplies to be gathered etc, this may sound like its repetitive, but you get in a lot of unique unpredictable situations. Besides, I hate repetition in games since I get bored easily.
    On the technical side it's not triple A, but this game has something you rarely see in todays 'micro-wave-meal-esque' triple A titles:
    - Complex game-mechanics with tons of possibilities which you have to figure out yourself step by step;
    - Unpredictable situations or turn of events that suddenlu cab cost you your life (or your fellow survivors);
    - Decisions you have to make of which you are not sure how they turn out, making you plan every move.
    If you weigh all options, plan right, build your base correct and make sure your stockpile is high then the game isn't unforgivingly hard, however, there is no trial and error: dead is dead. It is in perfect balance though.
    The sheer possibilities and complex mechanism behind it make me easily forget about the mediocre technical side. This is a sleeper hit and could be GOTY for me. Never heard of Undead Labs before, but they certainly got my attention.
  98. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed everything the game was day z and war z That be and is not, because the only problem in the game for me and the game is not coop, why was this game and perfect upon history. excellent advise playing game Expand
  99. Jun 16, 2013
    9/10 because there is no co-op and because of technical issues. But aside from that, it's a great game, and the kind of zombie survival we have been waiting on
  100. Jun 17, 2013
    A very good game that has had little publicity in France but sells a lot.
    We all hope so a co-op mode.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]