7.1

1. Mar 5, 2014
    There's something you need to know straight away: Syndicate has the best flame thrower ever in a videogame. In fact all the weapons are superb and it's perhaps the games greatest strength. I bought this a few years ago and unfortunately there were so many other good games released around the same time that it's taken me this long to finally finish the campaign. It's a shame because there's alot of quality in Syndicate even if it's sci-fi stylings are not quite in the top tier. However, considering that Starbreeze is a relatively small developer the game punches far above it's weight in the genre. It certainly doesn't deserve to be dismissed as 'derivative' by the press and critics. The story is anaemic but who the hell cares. Brian Cox voices the bad guy so what more do you want? If action is what you came for it's here in spades and refreshingly different from a COD title, with some nice twists via a slick interface that facilitates its 'breaching' gameplay. Breaching allows you to lock on to an enemy and hack its assets in real time for strategic advantages, and it's nuanced enough that you often feel compelled to replay certain areas with different strategies. To top it off the sound is truly phenomenal. High recommended for action fans and if there's ever a sequel sign me up. Expand
  2. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now I loved the original Syndicate and played it to death on my Amiga back in the day. I'm not one of these moaners who got their knickers all twisted cos it was rebooted as an FPS. I like the idea of evil corporations doing battle in the future. Well, not in real life, just in games and movies! So I was willing to give it a try.

The first thing that struck me about Syndicate was the world that Starbreeze have created graphics are good, the atmosphere and futuristic world seem to be well-rounded and thoughtful. Effectively, this is Deus Ex Lite. Not quite as rich as the Deus Ex world, but a different take on the dystopian Blade Runner future Earth where there are two widely segregated societies the "haves" and the "have-nots" the overworld and underworld. I like the sand pit tick awarded straight away.

As an FPS, Syndicate also ticks all of the boxes. Basic FPS controls with a gimmick of being able to hack people (cos they've got chips in their heads!) and machines to aid you along the way. Soldiers using cover to their advantage? Hack the barriers to expose them. Flying bots got shields? Hack those shields away! Reinforced glass in the way? Hack the liquid nitrogen conduits, freeze that sucker to make it brittle, and then blast your way in! This is good. It's thoughtful and makes you feel powerful. But possibly not used as extensively as it should have been.

The hacks actually distil down into three basic hacks, or "breaches", that you can always undertake in combat if you have enough juice. Backfire causes enemy weapons to, er, backfire. Suicide causes... you get the idea! And Persuade causes enemies to attack their mates before topping themselves afterwards just like in Bioshock. These are cool for a while, but ultimately become quite boring and formulaic. I often found myself waiting to use these hacks on more powerful opponents, but then you find that they have advanced firewalls so you can't use them! And then you don't use them.

The idea of morality is also not really explored. There's another parallel here with Bioshock Infinite it doesn't matter whether you choose the bird or the cage. It's the same here. You can walk around like an absolute dick and snap the neck of anyone that you come into contact with hobos and all, but it doesn't seem to mean anything. There's no bad karma coming back at ya. No enforcers to bring you in. In fact, the other Agent who you share some missions with is actually more of a complete tw*t than you could ever be! And you know you're gonna have to shoot him in the face at some point. It's one of those gaming/movie inevitabilities!

I found that the game also had some weird difficulty spikes. Some areas seemed ridiculously difficult and then I would cruise along for ages until the next overly difficult bit. And these weren't always boss battles. There's a bit with flying bots, people. A controller-throwing section. You just need to find the little hidy-hole that allows you to survive the waves. What also made the bit annoying is that you are given a rocket launcher, with ammo caches on the wall, but you always drop the f*cking thing when you're out of ammo. So you find yourself sprinting out of cover to pick up the bloody gun again so you can then sprint to the nearest wall to refill and... aaaarrrggghhh!

The voice acting is really good. Any game with actors like Brian Cox (not the astronomer my other half fancies... the old guy who was in Sharpe), Rosario Dawson and Michael Wincott is on to a good thing. However, I was sure that Michael Wincott was actually Lance Henriksen.

Some of the bosses are just plain annoying. This is another odd parallel with Deus Ex: HR is that the bosses there were as annoying as f*ck. The thing that gets me is... when you have FPSs like this where there is an element of strategy (hacks etc), then why is your character always immasculated when it comes to these boss battles in so far as you cannot use any special abilities effectively? OK, yeah, in some you can raise cover. But it becomes a straight shooter. This is what made the Deux Ex: HR and, to a lesser extent, the Alpha Protocol bosses infuriating as, if you had chosen to be a stealthy bugger, you were f*cked cos you were completely outgunned!

Overall, Syndicate is one of those 7/10 or 8/10 games that is perfect for filler between other AAA titles. There is no way on Earth I would play full retail price for it. Apparently, the multiplayer is excellent, though I am not in an online gaming mood at the moment so probably won't ever play it. Actually, I did attempt a game but got kicked off the servers almost immediately. Odd. So if you like Deus Ex: HR and you want a game that is a bit similar in tone, if not gameplay, then give Syndicate a go. It was a brave move to reboot the franchise as an FPS a move that almost worked.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    I was currently bored and have not played any games for a while when I stopped and took a look at this game at first I looked and I was like hmmm,but it was worth a try currently playing it now and its different but fun to play.In the long run for me its been very difficult but no matter will I beat it.
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    There is NOTHING wrong or broken in this game. This is a solid good quality game that's fun to play through several times to use different "perks". The haters don't like it because it did not meet their PRE-CONCEIVED notions of what they think it "should" have been and give it a 1. Certainly the quality of the reviewER should be taken into consideration. As a fair and competent observer, this is a fantastic shooter and I liked the story. You will find this a very FUN futuristic syfy fps to play if you have no preconceived notions from the original game. Expand
  5. Dec 18, 2012
    Amazing graphics, great playability and an interesting story. A very good game! Many negative reviews are unffair. The "boss" concept is a bit too much jap style, though.
  6. Nov 1, 2012
    Surprisingly fun FPS - enjoying Riddick but feeling that Darkness was a step back I was pleasantly surprised to find Syndicate being a step forward again. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as Riddick I did enjoy it, and for anyone looking for a solid single player run (and very enjoyable coop!) in an FPS with scifi setting - this could be your fix.
  7. Aug 20, 2012
    This game fulfilled my 90's cyberpunk teenage itch. Being a teenager in the 90's I was a big fan of the original Syndicate game and it's expansion, American Revolution. This was the early days of the cyberpunk genre and although many games have filled the genre well since then I've always had a soft spot for Syndicate. Although this game is a big departure from the original it still maintains a feel of the Syndicate world and is a fun, great-looking game though much too short. I feel that this game had much more potential to expand it's mechanics (Deus Ex!) and the potential for a new rebooted franchise but unfortunately due to poor advertising and constraints by EA I think this is the end for the Syndicate franchise. It's a very fun game with great graphics/environments and much attention to weapon detail. It's worth playing now that it is available at a discounted price. There isn't much replayability (no new game plus option) but the ride is very fun while it lasts! Expand
  8. Jul 14, 2012
    As far as ratings go Syndicate was surely under rated. The real star is the graphics. A setting for glowiness, I guess, would have been nice, but might have taken away from immersion. While I am not a fan of Boss fights the different arena style levels more then makes up for it. Great game.
  9. Jul 4, 2012
    Syndicate is a pretty standard corridor-shooter with a gimmick. The gimmick works well enough but in the end you are going to run down a linear path slaughtering enemies with the old shotgun just as you have thousands of times before. As far as corridor-shooters go syndicate is pretty generic. That doesnt mean that it is bad since most AAA-shooters are alright time-wasters and if you are looking for a few hours of entertainment you could do worse. + setting, environments, weapons, hacking-gimmick, music. - story, bloom-effects, bosses, endless shooting Expand
  10. May 30, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, but ended up disliking it. I liked cyperpunk/near-scifi games like DeusEx and SystemShock, and had hoped this would be more of the same. Story looked promising, the fell away. Graphics are good(ish), but not brilliant. Locations are generally misty or glaring. I guess its supposed to represent the grim neon future (a la blade runner) but just I found it really annoying. Enemies are quite intelligent and on 'normal' setting, if you hesitate too long in front of a couple of them, then they will slap you down - which is a good thing. Still, being a super agent, you can get through without undue difficulty. 'I thought Bullet Time' (or whatever its called in Syndicate) was nice, but I really liked it in Max Payne 1&2 too. Then I met the first enemy super agent. After he'd defeated me about 30 times in a row, I gave up on the game in bored frustration. Now, I generally like 'end of level bosses' - I thought Binary Domain was great - but enough is enough. Maybe I had a bad day, maybe you'll like Syndicate more than I did. Expand
  11. May 9, 2012
    Another Generic shooter added to the packed market. What is even worse is that Syndicate does not offer anythign special. It is just shoot, disable electronics, shoot. The story also suffers from creativity. Without spoling the mediocre plot, the story turns out to how you would expect it to. There isn't even any Multiplayer, except for 4 player Co-op. The reason I am giving a 7, is due to Syndicate being entertaining, and the whole cyber punk feel was quite immersive. A definite rental, not much else. Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    Unlike most of the reviews here I can honestly say it sucks having completed 95% of it. Hopefully you wont make the mistake of renting this like I did. If you buy it, ouch.

The lighting is beyond terrible. Even with a calibrated plasma the settings are always too dark or too bright depending on the level/location you are currently at, you will be constantly adjusting settings as you play.
    It is not your tv, its the game.

There is also the WTF effect where some lights and reflective surfaces are just too bright. Not LED flashlight bright but 5 feet from the sun bright. When you have trouble seeing because the lights in the room are brighter then staring into the sun its a problem. Its distracting, blinding. and very annoying but does seem to be used less further into the game. I assume it was a dev bug that gave certain places +6000% normal light power.

The graphics are subpar not bad nor good. The settings for 89% of the levels are bland and boring. Despite the fact the levels take place in different areas/locales they are basically the same. Most missions take place inside buildings that strangely besides the color of the walls all look and feel the same. The game is 90% Office buildings 10% outside in back alleys/roofs or running to your transport. Unlike other games the atmosphere of this game just isn't there. You never feel immersed in the location or even in the game universe itself. There is no mention of anything about the world the game takes place in outside of what you see the main character doing. Leaving you to wonder if anything even exists in their universe other then office buildings, security guards, and nameless scientist. The game setting is in 2069 yet you see nothing about civilization or anything else, just one mission location to the next.

Gameplay is ok. There is nothing new here or "tactical" like some suspicious reviews here some to praise. You start your mission and are lead trough each objective by your synthetic computer. While your first thought here is probably that the synthetic computer is going to be your proverbial buddy-cop providing help, comical relief, and company in the lonely world of office raiding. You are wrong, very wrong. The entire game it does nothing but expressionlessly say go here, go there, do this, do that. Its pretty much a vocal only gps. There is literally 0 story and 0 interaction with the voice in your head.

Breach is the only special ability you have and there is only 3 types of breaches in single player. You proceed room by room, clearing each set of enemies. There is no deviation by which office building you are in. Its always the same routine. You enter a room, enemies appear, take cover, use see thru wall. If its a group use Left or Right breach. If he has armor/shield use Top breach. Use slow motion to shoot everyone in the head. Hide while slow motion recharges, repeat. Works on expert.

While fps by nature is repetitive its not so damn boring. Reviews here say its new/tactical and even the game was marketed as being a new+smarter kind of fps but what do they have exactly? You can see through walls with an ability. Breaching is nothing more then another word for ability or spell or magic. Your 3 breaches are: Making a enemy shoot his friends, making a enemy blow himself+ his friends up, or normal breach which is used to remove shields and activate objects/switches and that is it. Not only is this game nothing new, its has less then the average game.

The single player story is, well there is no story. The story is given to you 15 seconds at a time from radio feeds from 1 of 2 characters during mission. In the entire game there is only 4 characters that have names/role. yes 4. 1. Your friend. 2. A girl 3. Your employer 4. ????(a spoiler). There is 3 bosses with names but they have 0 story and just kinda appear. Apart from that everyone is either a masked soldier or a unnamed scientist.

Reviews here also say the Multiplayer was good. It is if you like doing the SP campaign over and over vs a computer. It seems fun for the first 2-3 hours then you realize that's all it is.

Achievement hunters? Don't bother for 100%. Many dumb achivs including one for breaching 800+ grenades or 100% MP completion with grinds like halo commendations.

I was on last level before the ending and i reloaded to checkpoint from the pause screen and game froze during the load( one of many random freezes during loads on this game). After restarting i find my campaign file is corrupted and freezes every time I try to load it. For some reason you are not allowed multiple saves and with the chapter select you can only replay levels. which means if i wanted to see the ending or get any of the completed achivs for game finish + finish on expert I would have to start a new game. You know its a bad game when not only will I NOT reply to see the story or get the achivs but I wont even youtube the ending because I don't care about the story.
  13. Apr 5, 2012
    Syndicate is actually a pretty good game with a brutally difficult co-op mode. My only complaint (and I have the same complaint with most games) is that it just felt kind of repetitive by the end. The shooting mechanics were great and the guns felt super powerful, but the non-scaling co-op mode and repetitiveness wore on my be the end.
  14. Apr 5, 2012
    Worse FPS I have played thus far. Trying to hack while you are in the middle of a firefight? Enemies more FASTER then you can shoot? Ok I get that you are in the distant future where you are chipped for your company and being this super kickass solider for you company to take out the competition is the jist but......Yeah I'm drawing a blank too cause there are some aspects to the game that I just didn't get or was poorly explained in the "training" session of the game. The hack a wall to explode or provide cover would have been great but it was so poorly implemented that you passed right over it to even get it to work. The whole overlay thing was useless cause it was like a mix of slomo and heat vision and it added nothing to the game except using it to recover once you got the add-on. Boss fights would have been great if you could have used your surroundings to hinder or harm your enemy cause there were times I died from a special gun or ability that they had and I didn't. Cover in the game is totally useless and at times there is none or very little. Weapons were not that great ( not expecting MW3 quality) but when I place a shotgun POINT BLANK in someones face I expect a head to explode no matter the armament worn or special enchancement used. Anything good about the game....Not much, graphic wise its good looking, sound wise is alright, controls are a little floaty but nothing that takes away from the game and the levels are easy to get around in. But sad to say that none of these really set this game apart from any of the other medicore FPS's. This game is MAYBE a step above Bodycount and I rated that thing in the toliet.

Rent or Buy?- Rent ONLY IF YOU HAVE GAMEFLY!! Plus people this game will really have you scratching your head at the end too
  15. Apr 4, 2012
    What a great surprise this game it. After Fallout, Skyrim, DX:HR and Arkham City I almost forgot what a shooter was. This reminded me of Half Life a bit and why set piece shooters can be fun. PROS: The best shooting controls in a 360 game, almost fooled me into thinking I was using a mouse (but not quite). Great graphics and presentation. Ok story with some good writing. Very fun and deep multi. CONS: The controller is not remappable and the location of the sprint button (left stick click) is hideous, borderline unuseable and it makes action movie moments tough to pull off...which is a shame given the accurate shooting and excellent cover mechanics. On screen prompts for events are so small they're impossible to make out. Menus are also tough to navigate without pressing your face against the TV. Expand
  16. Apr 3, 2012
    Great concept, fun to play... But I am not the biggest FPS supporter. It had some unique qualities but the story and voice acting kept me unattached to the main character. "Terminatrix" is the term coined on the podcast referring to this title. I liked it but I sure didn't love it.
  17. Mar 18, 2012
    Ignore these starbreeze employers, its a generic, simplistic shooter with no strategy or much story to speak of, not sure why they stole the syndicate brand as people who buy this wont know of it, and the ones who do will be pissed they made it into a dumb brainless shooter, utter crap!
    I'll give it a 1, they spelled syndicate right I guess.
  18. Mar 12, 2012
    Syndicate is a very fresh take on online co-op. It does include a solid single player story campaign, but the 4-player cooperateive multiplayer is where this one shines.

This game and Binary Domain are the early sleeper hits of 2012.
  19. Mar 10, 2012
    For one thing, Syndicate can greatly impress players for what its worth of unique art, other gameplay aspects such as gun play, graphics, narrative and character progression, feels just in place as it doesn't really deliver what we've hoped for since its announcement. Coop in the other hand, is a completely different and much more fun part of the whole package, with it being a return to the original Syndicate agents. Hopefully, EA would think like 2K, in "remaking" it instead of just this lacking reboot. Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    I hated this game at first, what with the over-bright environments and strangely awkward cover system. The storyline seemed a bit thin too.

So what changed?

I started playing Co-Op with friends I made in the game... and enjoyed it immensely. I even re-did the campaign on hard mode where I nearly failed on easy after playing Co-Op on Expert. The game is actually LOADS of fun if you play
    on expert and have a good team... the heart starts pounding when you are the last man standing because you NEED your team and trying to resurrect them while being chased by hordes of enemy agents is hard but loads of fun.

So why no 10/10 - Well those bright lights still are painful but the biggest point loss is the random crashes in multiplayer. Hopefully a patch will sort that out.
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    This is an ok game. The single player mode is ok but won't light the world on fire. Multiplayer is the best way to play this game in my opinion. I would wait for it to drop to $20-30 before buying it. I'm glad a got a $20 credit for pre-ordering on Amazon. That truthfully was why I bought it at launch. It definitely took a different spin from the original. I think they should have stayed closer to their roots but what was done wasn't a train wreck. If you like Sci Fi or FPS this might interest you. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    I think that Syndicate is a good game if you like sci fiction stories similar to games like Deus Ex or movies like the Matrix, Equilibrium , or Blade Runner. I found myself really immersed in this world and the characters. The co-op mode is unique experience unmatched in the market. Unfortunately thanks to balance issues in the single player campaign and the technical difficulties in the co -op mode, these shortcomings keep Syndicate from being a great game to only a good one. Expand
  23. Mar 1, 2012
    Syndicate is a real mixed package. The single player is horribly short-lived (around 6-7 hours on the hardest difficulty), has a bland story that's not particularly well told, boring characters that are never fleshed out, very linear level design based mostly on taking out waves of enemies, and an overall uninspired and unoriginal feel that borrows heavily from other games (Deus Ex:HR and Crysis 2 especially). It's another case of brilliant concept - bad execution. in fairness the gunplay and breach mechanics wherein you hack enemy cybernetic brain chips to make them commit suicide etc are quite fun. But in regards to the breach mechanics, it's a shame that Syndicate never bothers to try and make the use of them in interesting or tactical ways and they quickly become redundant. However, the co-op multiplayer in Syndicate is actually quite brilliant. There's tons of weapon upgrading, breach upgrading and other levelling mechanics that are fun to play around with. Creating your own syndicate and recruiting other people is great fun, with leaderboards to keep up with how well your syndicate is doing in the world market. Also, the breaching mechanics are much better in the multiplayer with added abilities such as group heal to really bring the need for team work together. Unlike the single player which is really quite straight forward and easy, the co-op is actually challenging - even on normal difficulty and requires a good amount of team work to succeed in some of the tougher missions. It's such a shame that the Syndicate single player is so inept when the multiplayer does nothing but shine! They almost feel like they don't belong to the same game with the multiplayer obviously getting more time during development. Overall a very disappointing reboot of the franchise, saved from the greatest depths of the bargain bin by a very good co-op. Expand
  24. Mar 1, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. The coop really stands out. Lovely cyberpunk graphics. The "breaching" makes the game stand out and all I want to do is play more so I can level up and develop new breaching features and hard core weapons! It´s a 10!
  25. Mar 1, 2012
    smooth like a butter graphics with fun to shoot game mechanic. Even though the game is fairly short Syndicate has amazing visual worth seeing. the only weird thing is game on hard difficulty is not actually hard at all. I guess they have to tweak enemies on Hard difficulty because it doesn't make me satisfied.
  26. Feb 28, 2012
    So a reboot of a classic. And a good one. I have put in well over 30 hours now and i am enjoy myself greatly, Starbreeze has delivered once again. I could go into the whole "Why did EA make an FPS" and rate the game down, but what's the point of that? In the end i can only judge the game based on what it is. And what it is, is another solid FPS game from Starbreeze, not a run of the mill 50th iteration of an EA franchise. Graphically the game is crisp (if i bit heavy on the bloom) but you can see that the old Starbreeze engine is nearing it's end, or should in any case. Still, the game is presented at a lovely framerate and at the speed at which you play it, what presents itself visually is brilliant. A great depiction of the have and have nots in the future, with clear and distinct visual differences. Characters in particular stand out, with the main plot cast having superb modelling. Audio wise the game is also very strong. Moody ambient audio, stunning soundtrack and probably what amouns to the best sounding guns on the current gen. In terms of gameplay the single player is not the most innovative product out there, but it's a solid and fun shooter with a few tists and turns. Breaching certainly sets it apart. This fun mechanic really adds another layer of depth to the game and certainly increases replay value of the single player alone, as you try to come up with different solutions to any given scenario. But where the game really shines is the co-op campaign. Action at breakneck speed at partially VERY hard difficulty that really requires team work to succeed. Starbreeze has not been known to treat any kind of multiplayer with a lot of love in previous games, but they certainly have done that here. Initially i was worried that i could only play this with friends, but even with randoms the game is fun and deep. Unlocks, progression and upgrading your agent make sense and i often get that "oh just one more upgrade" feeling which keeps me playing. If you like shooters get it, it's worth it. If like co-op shooters (particularly with some friends) then you MUST get it. Expand
  27. Feb 28, 2012
    Great singleplayer and excellent co-op! Hands down the best FPS of the year so far.

Starbreeze har done a solid job with this reboot, the campaign is on the short side but a lot of fun and on top of that they've created a unique and amazingly fun co-op experience.
  28. Feb 28, 2012
    yes this game looks good and plays ok but lacks story, this game does nothing to pull you in and does nothing new , if you play a lot of games ,then this game wot do a lot for you, its like have sex with no claimax
  29. Feb 27, 2012
    Excellent co-op, which melds the best parts from other shooters into a cohesive whole. The combat has quite a bit of depth, and the game forces players to work together in order to succeed, so playing with random people is usually pretty fun. There is a lot of customization with augmentations, weapon and research upgrades, and a whole bunch of achievements - there is also the ability to create your own clan or syndicate. The enemies are varied, and mini-bosses require the use of your mass effect style powers to defeat, plus a whole lot of coordination with your team. The game gets drastically more difficult as you raise the difficulty setting for missions, which adds to the replay value, and gives you more of a challenge when you max out your character. As for the amount of content: It would have been nice to have a bit more maps, or at least some variations of game types (I can't help but think that the time & resources put into the campaign would have been better spent on putting more into the online part) - I was able to reach level 20 (I believe the lvl cap is 40), complete all maps multiple times, and complete 50% of all research and augmentations in less than 6 hours. There are some pretty serious bugs I have encountered where I have clipped through level geometry and gotten stuck, forcing me to quit the game session. Some matches can be quite laggy, due to the p2p co-op, and people with crap connections hosting games.

The campaign is fun but extremely short and has no real replay, so I would not recommend the game just for the single-player which pales in comparison to the online part. The longevity of the online community remains to be seen, as I imagine many will stop playing once ME3 comes out, so it may become hard to find matches in the near future - but as of release there are plenty of people playing.
  30. Feb 27, 2012
    I'm sorry, are we playing the same game here? Whilst i'm not putting money on this scooping an award, its definitely a quality shooter. The main campaign hasn't got much of a gripping story like gears of war, it hasn't got a warm central character like the master chief or the set pieces of uncharted 2 but it has got cool guns, quality tech and a fantastic multiplayer. Even using a simple revolver makes you feel like a futuristic john wayne,so imagine what a rifle that bends bullets will do, or the ability to make enemies defect your time or even a suicide app (not available on the android market). I've been playing the co op and its a co op that builds, each mission is based on the original syndicate game. go through them on normal, build your agent, then take on the tougher variations. Certainly a worthwhile purchase Expand
  31. Feb 26, 2012
    A fun, gun toting, cybernetic getting, head snapping adventure that is short but sweet. Has a less than compelling story made up for by immensely fun combat. Could have improved in the graphics and story categories. Has a fun co-op mode with a lengthy repeatability value. More in my video review: http://youtu.be/PTU6bcwvnPE
  32. Feb 25, 2012
    A co-op outing that feels more involving than most as team work is essential. Taking down the bigger enemies and playing doctor as a team makes for a tight experience. The sound and visuals are compelling if not a little rough around the edges. However, the one area where this game falls flat (at the time of writing) is the way in which is consistently crashes the console, a problem for which i know a lot of people are experiencing. This stands as mark of EA's tradition of kicking a game out of the door too early. Expand
  33. Feb 25, 2012
    The best FPS I have played ever, included BF !

Its like no orher FPS.

The Co-op is excellent.

My friend went to our lokal shop yesterday, but the game was sold out. But they will have more om monday they told him.

So my advice, get your copi before its sold out to, if you want this game.
  34. Feb 24, 2012
    Have now played and finished the single player campaign and also done a lot of co-op. can´t really say I understand those complains that some have over the storytelling in the campaign. IMO everything including the story was just great and the game in general is AWSOME.
  35. Feb 23, 2012
    A great sci-fi game with crisp graphics and AD, impressive sound and a weaponry to die for. The single player campaign is engaging, although somewhat short but the real treasure is the separate 4 player co-op. Unforgiving, thrilling and lots and lots of fun for hour upon hour. So if you haven't got it yet; get it and rip some chips!
  36. Feb 23, 2012
    This is a unique FPS with a rather new take on the genre. I love the story, where Starbreeze delivers, as usual, and the mekaniks and feel of the game is awesome. Best of all is the four-player co-op, where you can get improvements to your chip and to your weapons. The sound and feel of the weapons are so good! A must buy!
  37. Feb 23, 2012
    Got Syndicate last night and played quite a few hours and the game really "grows on you".
    Such a cool atmosphere and I'm stunned about the graphics and totally love the lens flares!
  38. Feb 22, 2012
    SYNDICATE, for me, has got to be one of the WORST, frustrating games that I have EVER played. Instructions are minimal, incremental, and sparse; environmental puzzles are some of the more obtuse of any that I have every encountered. STARBREEZE has crafted a very frenetic, FPS with emphasis on 4-player co-op, although, there is a singleplayer component as well. With others, as designed, it may be passible. The singleplayer portion was, for me, horrible in almost every facet from graphics with excessive bloom, nonintuitive puzzles, and having the game autosave when I had little ammo while heaping-on adversaries so that my reloaded savegame would drop me into a heavy firefight with little chance. While many players might consider me "lame" and shout "go back to WOW" it's also true that I will NOT play a game that imo is not fun and a complete waste of money!?! Expand
  39. Feb 22, 2012
    An amazing reboot. Having played the full campaign and all of the coop levels, I can confidently say this is a proper reboot of Syndicate in a different format from it's root (isometric squad based tactical strategy game). It's a half step between Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, lore-wise. All the syndicates from the original game and Syndicate Wars make an appearance, and even have vastly different looks for their cultures and agents.

Single player is well done. My only complaint would be that I wanted more at the end, but that could also be a sign of a good game. Blasting through it on easy mode, it's probably going to be around 4-5 hours if you ignore all the material to read, ignore propaganda tags and skip business cards. This is definitely a lore-heavy FPS, considering it's background, and it doesn't disappoint. It's stylish presentation and quick load times are a triumph in a market filled with load-heavy, clunky games. The campaign is well paced, and there's never a drag nor a moment where I'm confused why I'm doing something. The characters are well voiced and animated, and even with the silent protagonist route it's extremely immersive. Breaching is intuitive and rewards a player that makes creative use of it. Hard mode can be very easy if you're flexible with your diversion tactics and breaching capability. There's a lot of weapons to pick from that all handle differently, rather than just firing speed and damage (a refreshing turn of pace for an FPS game that's not laden with alien technology). There are some truly frantic moments in the game. The ending is the only thing I think people might have complaints about.

Coop for Syndicate raises the bar for other games. It's quick, drop in, drop out, with a very well done clan (Syndicate) system. Weapons and breaching abilities are numerous, and they can be upgraded to one's playstyle. Leveling up, competing with other teams, and competing with your friends has never been done in such a polished way. The only conceivable way to improve this mode is to just expand the limits, the maps, and implement an AI Director, like Left 4 Dead (for that random element). Even if you're more of a support person (medic, etc), the game doesn't punish you for not killing enemies. The game is funneled in such a way that playing cooperatively (healing, assisting) grants you way more points than a lone wolf would in the same situation. There aren't many games that I could really recommend on coop, since a lot tend to be the same these days. Syndicate is at the top of the recommendation pile, though. Grab some friends, and have some fun!
  40. Feb 22, 2012
    I was surprised about how great this game really is! The single player is good, and I just love the coop. If you by some reason haven't decided to get the game, check out the demo that won me over.
  41. Feb 22, 2012
    I don't know why the reviewers gave this game under an 80. I really find this game amazing, the story is pretty decent, not the best but still pretty good for today's shooters. The co-op is just like a drug, its super addictive! Been playing this since yesterday and still didn't find a flaw in this game! Yeah maybe the story is short but hey there's co-op and story on hardest difficulty is just freaking hard! Just saying don't listen to people saying ah this is like Deus Ex, that's **** Syndicate is a FPS with high shooter background and a minimum of role-playing... Deus Ex is the opposite, way more RPG and a bit of shooter. That's it! If your'e looking for a pretty good shooter, get this game! Expand
  42. Feb 22, 2012
    Single player mode is stunning while co-op paralyzes. AI´s that really needs your complete attention at any time. Really a rec. Story and gameplay really kick a--.
  43. Feb 21, 2012
    Syndicate is a good start for franchise reboot and i thoroughly enjoyed the game. Syndicate is definitely a shooter and has some puzzles/enemy encounters along the way. The feature that makes syndicate stand out from other shooters is the "breaching" mechanic. You will have to use this a lot during the game in order to survive some of the firefights. The enemy a.i. in this game is good and will flank or rush you depending on the situation. The guns and game play feel great because your character has a sense of weight to him and he isn't just a floating head. The aspect that I like most about syndicate is the environments and feel of the game. I could tell that this game has borrowed a few artistic looks from great sci-fi movies such as blade runner. The art direction in this game is incredible and really makes the world of syndicate come alive. The game also has a great cast of characters that have well done voice acting. The music is also great and really lends to the sci-fi action of the game. The co-op game mode is fun and will please fans of co-op games like left 4 dead. Anyone who is tired of recent shooters should pick this game up, it's fun, has good co-op, and is a great start for a new series of syndicate games. Expand
  44. Feb 21, 2012
    An amazing game that delivers. It's like the perfect car that I just want to drive. The smoothness, the graphics, the feel to it. It's just hardcore and so compelling. Most kids will get KOS on the multiplayer, but for us hardcore gamers this is the bible to our religion. Love it! Bladerunner 4-life!
  45. Feb 21, 2012
    While some may complain that it's just ripping off Dues Ex, Half-Life, and other series, it's really just an evolutionary step in the FPS that is inspired by, not ripping off, many great FPS of the past. The First-Person combat is much better than Dues Ex, but it keeps the same sort of suit upgrades and in-world HUD elements that make it interesting and cyber-punky. The story isn't mind-blowing, but it has great pace and sense of urgency that keeps you moving from mission to mission. There are plenty of quite place through the game similar to Half-Life 2 and very dissimilar to the latest COD games. This is a very good thing. If you're looking for a compelling story and universe set in a great shooter action game, this is the game for you. Expand
  46. Feb 21, 2012
    Syndicate is a fast-paced, methodical, futuristic shooter with enough depth and brilliant co-op gameplay to break out of the norm and be something really special. More action than story focused, subtle tweaks to the way you approach combat make for some really amazing one-off set piece water cooler moments. There's alot of depth in the co-op that the casual player might not pick up on at first, but the challenges will keep focused players busy for quite a while. The graphics are nice and very similar to the team's previous riddick games but with more variety and bloom effects. The gunplay is familiar but different enough to get you excited to find the next weapon or upgrade your favorites in multiplayer. Great animations and pretty solid physics. Sound is what you'd expect from a futuristic corporation conspiracy kind of game. Story is , well, what it sounds like. I came into syndicate not expecting much and leaving with a desire for more. It's also great that games like this are coming out in months other than just before Christmas. I recommend this game to anyone looking for a comfortable fps and if you liked deus ex, there's a ton to love here. Expand
  47. Feb 21, 2012
    I was a little hesitant picking this one up after reading some mixed reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised when I put it in. I loved the style of Deus Ex, but longed for a little more action and not quite as much sneaking around, and this game totally scratches that itch. Being able to hack into enemy's brains and make them commit suicide or take out their buddys is a riot. Haven't played online yet except for when I had the demo, but a lot of reviews say that's the best part, so I'm looking forward to it. Expand
  48. Feb 21, 2012
    do you like to be blinded? then this is the game for you
    in this game you are a walking camera,so you have headbob and other constant screen shakes
    there is blur,bloob,blinding lights etc.

and when you aim down the sights the whole screen zooms in,yeah so cool

do game developers even go to schools ?
  49. Feb 21, 2012
    Good tactical fps with a even better co-op experience! Love it

The art is better than the graphics no doubt, but at no point did it feel like it was a bad looking game. Of course it can't compare to BF3, but still stunning. If you like a FPS challenge or just want to play FPS games with friends, this is a excellent buy
  50. Feb 21, 2012
    The game is very fun to play because it isn't like the other FPS's out there. This one deliver a very cool "breaching" system so you can make the enemy work with you instead or make them commit suicide. It has the right blend of action and strategy like Xboxn74 wrote below and I think it's crucial for FPS today to have that. The Co-op works fine even though you play with random people. Even though it's hard directly, other players get the point almost instantly. Expand
  51. Feb 21, 2012
    Has the theme, features and graphic elements of the old PC games, but in a First Person Shooter approach this time: it's a good Tactical Shooter, with a nice blend of action and strategy needed to pass the stages. Visually, all things remind me very much the Syndicate original games, but vastly improved, and in a 3D world: as you play, and gain more abilities, the game gets more fun.
  52. Feb 21, 2012

1. May 13, 2012
    The game doesn't create a massive fissure in the first-person shooter genre, but the DART and breach systems do add some cool wrinkles to an otherwise straightforward experience with some of the best gun play I've had in recent memory.
    Syndicate is an excellent shooter that does a lot of things right in the gameplay department. A fun combination of excellent gunplay combined with an okay range of abilities and powers and some well put together melee moves makes the game a mixed bag that never gets too old.
  3. May 5, 2012
    Syndicate shows a lot of potential, but never seems to come out of its shell. For that, it just feels all too familiar. It delivers on a delightful atmosphere though, and the coöp mode will keep players busy for a couple of intense hours. A fine snack, but definitely not the cult classic the old Syndicate was.