7.3

1. Apr 2, 2013
    The idea is great. I love the game overall,but the one thing that puts it down is the controls. It's clunky and uncomfortable. Otherwise,great game! (I also love all the customization and crafting you can do.)
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    I'm not going to deny that Terraria is a great game, and I won't dispute that for some people it fully deserves a "10" rating; however that is not the rating I feel comfortable giving this game. The reason is simple: to me, Terraria is not finished based on what the game promises and what it actually achieves. I don't mean the "oh, we're updating it and brining in new content" kind ofI'm not going to deny that Terraria is a great game, and I won't dispute that for some people it fully deserves a "10" rating; however that is not the rating I feel comfortable giving this game. The reason is simple: to me, Terraria is not finished based on what the game promises and what it actually achieves. I don't mean the "oh, we're updating it and brining in new content" kind of unfinished (in fact I'm a staunch supporter of games which use this model to bring early releases to hungry fans); Terraria is unfinieshed in an abandoned kind of way. The features which are fully there are great, and there's a lot of great things to be said about the game, but unfortunately it falls short of what it could and should be. Of course, a lot of this is no fault of the developers; however I wouldn't reccomend Terraria to people unless they wanted a game to invest heavily into. If you want a game where you can build, explore or duke it out in PVP then Terraria offers all of that, however IMO none of these features are fully polished enough to warrant a high score.

That said, if the rumoured update does happen then my rating could well go up...
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    When i first heard of Terraria on the Xbox 360, i was thinking it was going to be something like a side-scrolling Minecraft, but it is much more. So many different things to do, let me name them off for you: Building houses for your people to live it, huge/awesome boss battles, so many different ores (the higher you get with more gear, the better and more difficult it gets),and so manyWhen i first heard of Terraria on the Xbox 360, i was thinking it was going to be something like a side-scrolling Minecraft, but it is much more. So many different things to do, let me name them off for you: Building houses for your people to live it, huge/awesome boss battles, so many different ores (the higher you get with more gear, the better and more difficult it gets),and so many more! I only rated it a 7 because the game didn't really get to me (i wasn't hooked like all my other friends were). But overall it's pretty impressive. (Oh, did i forget to mention, in this version there are quite some glitches to look out for, i'm mostly talking about multiplayer WARNING: This game does come with same-console multiplayer ONLY if you have an HD-TV. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    Could be better. I My friends were raving about the game and then they invited me over to try it. I did and it wasn't all that good. The controls are hard to understand, and building is almost impossible. It's pretty much a ripoff of Minecraft except with more pointless features. Hard to learn how to do anything and there are so many features, but they take forever to reach. I still can'tCould be better. I My friends were raving about the game and then they invited me over to try it. I did and it wasn't all that good. The controls are hard to understand, and building is almost impossible. It's pretty much a ripoff of Minecraft except with more pointless features. Hard to learn how to do anything and there are so many features, but they take forever to reach. I still can't get past the fact that it's in 2D. It was still fun though, just could use a lot of improvements. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Terraria is oftentimes referred to as the "2D Minecraft", and left at that. While this is true, it's also...so much more, and I feel this was why Minecraft radically changed it's game.

Graphics and Performance: Very clean 2D visuals, with virtually no slowdown, except in the most extreme of circumstances. The environments are very nice and detailed, and react to how you interact with them appropriately. The only complain I have are the animations: There's hardly any on the monsters, most of them may as well be still images.

Sound: Relaxing music is a given, but the sound effects are pretty good. All the enemies have their own sound effects, and your weapons make correct sounds, too. If you have a flaming greatsword, you can hear the flames crackling off the blade as you swing.

Control: Overall, it's okay. Jumping can be a bit annoying until you get used to it, but once you get that down, you'll be gathering materials and chopping down monsters like a pro.

Gameplay: Compared to Minecraft, the basics remain the same: Take squares to put on top of other squares in order to build things, gather materials to craft items and gear in a randomly generated world, repeat ad-nausium. That hasn't changed. What has changed is about everything else.

Terraria plays like an Action RPG more than a sandbox game. There is a wide variety of enemies to fight, treasure chests to discover containing rare items, and even giant bosses to take down for rare materials and gear! Unlike Minecraft, where combat feels like an afterthought, it was very much thought of here.

The amount of gear in the game is just insane: Jet boots, grappling hooks, machine guns, speed boosters, meteor-summoning swords...just to name a few! It always feels like there's always something new to find and explore.

It actually reminds me of an old PS2 game I liked, called Dark Cloud. You can build up your town, and as you do, you summon NPCs to live there. These NPCs can heal your wounds, sell you gear and items, or provide helpful advice. The "town building" aspect gives you a motivation to actually build things as opposed to, "build it...just 'cause you can".

Not that there's a shortage of things to build. All kinds of decorations and crazy things you can set up, it's as diverse as the gear you can craft!

There are a few problems, though. The beginning of the game can be absolutely miserable. Once you go underground, you'll find yourself being murdered by enemies you stand no chance against, struggling to survive with your most basic of equipment. You'll fall down a horrible pit, and immediately die. You may run right into the Corruption right into the beginning of the game, and, again, die.

What is the Corruption? It's bad stuff. It slowly spreads around the world, bringing with it rather powerful enemies, deep pits, and thorns to impede your progress. It is interesting how it slowly spreads throughout the world, but running into it early is a death sentence.

This is a game you need to devote a lot of time into. It's not like Minecraft, where you can suddenly start building random stuff, dig a bit, and be like, "Oh, I found Diamond" and suddenly be godlike. You need a LOT of items in order to reach that stage, and this will take a lot of trial and error. If you aren't willing, or able, to invest a lot of time in this game (It takes hours just to start getting beyond the early-level caves), this may not be for you.

If you like building things, which this game does well, it, still, may not be for you. Minecraft has with it wayyy more building options, and, of course, it's in a 3D environment. This makes it way better if all you want to do is build structures, as you both have more to work with, and more in the way of options, such as crazy electronic devices.

However, if an action-packed time sink is what you're after, Terraria is a good jack-of-all-trades. It does a lot of things, and is a master of none of them, but it's a pretty solid experience overall. So much to explore and build, you'll spend weeks, STILL finding things about your first world that you didn't even know about, yet!

Try before you buy, but it really depends on what you like more: Combat and exploration, or building and exploration.

1. Jun 3, 2013
    It may not be the best possible way to play Terraria, but taken on its own merits the Xbox version is still a triumph.
  2. May 22, 2013
    As absorbing and oddly addictive an experience as you'll find on 360. Just keep an eye on the clock - this game devours hours at a time. [Issue#98, p.81]
  3. May 20, 2013
    It's a slow starter, then, but you'll struggle to find a game this year that offers quite so much as Terraria. [Issue#135, p.122]