6.5

1. Feb 13, 2011
    This is an extremely fun game with a massive open world, but it definitely has its fair share of issues regarding certain things like the occasional texture pop-in and/or screen tearing that may occur (which is quite common in open-world driving games). There are some other minor problems mainly related to interface and things like finding other players during online play (filtering the map to show only my friends inexplicably showed nobody but I had 4 friends sitting right beside me at the time). Once you get together with all your friends, get ready for hours upon hours of driving around together. You can start races with any cars around you by pressing A to flash your lights which shows your challenge on every player's screen that is close to you. There can be around 50-100 cars spread all around each server's map at once, and up to eight at a time can jump into an instanced race, cop chase, or other type of challenge. The person who issued the challenge chooses any event they have unlocked (there are nearly 200 different events with more in DLC already confirmed), when it pops up it shows the proposed event in the bottom corner of your screen and you can press Back to ignore it, or A to accept their challenge. You can also start races by pressing A as you drive over their starting line. Those of you who enjoy Midnight Club should definitely check this game out. If you are familiar with Midnight Club:LA, imagine that game but with a map that is much larger and has a much greater variety of terrain including the full real-life islands of Ibiza and Hawaii. That means you'll plow through vast plains of 3-foot high weeds, get massive air off mountainsides to jump across riverbanks, and navigate tight urban streets more akin to MC:LA. However, the graphics in this game are about the same detail as those in MC:LA, which is not a compliment since that game is over three years old by now. Sometimes the graphics will stutter when the game is loading during gameplay, but this mostly seemed to happen during freedriving, and barely ever happened during the instanced races. I can say without a doubt that despite the minor graphical and disc-streaming issues this is still one of my top five favorite driving games ever to come out for the 360. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2011
    Not understanding the bad reviews for this game. This is one of the most brilliant, large world you can explore in. More fun than exploring in any RPG, plus you can level up!
    I think the dirt races are more fun than the asphalt races, but really it doesn't matter when there's SO MUCH to do besides only racing. If you have a a lot of time on your hands, this game should keep you occupied
    for months, at the least. Expand
  3. Feb 18, 2011
    Ok, first off, this game is awesome fun to play. If you like fun, this game has it. There are things wrong with it, like bad story line attempt, graphics are not the best, and driving is far from perfect, but it doesn't take away from the fun. So far, I have driven all of Ibiza, played several challenges and championships, covered over half of oahu, and still going. Hours have been lost. If you want to have fun when playing games, its great. There really is nothing else like it out there. Take a look. Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2011
    Misunderstood game. Usually I would rate a game lower than the critics but I happen to love this game. Could be because I enjoy a traffic/driving simulator over racing simulator. While most racing games has better car details, this one has a lot more road, and details of stuff that matters to me. Traffic, weather, day/night etc. Most games has an invisible wall at the edge of the road. In this game, whole Oahu and Ibiza is open. I'd hope for a better physic/collision system, but it doesn't spoil the fun. I general, no other racing games provide a realistic world with progression system like this one. Presentation and story is far from good, but in this game it doesn't matter. It's not an adventure game, it's a driving game - story doesn't mean anything. This game has a great atmosphere, and if I read the review before I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm so glad I pre-paid this game. I'll spend much more time with this game than GT5. I'll easily defend a 9. Expand
  5. Feb 14, 2011
    The best game in its category
    Great cars design, great environments, really superb !
    Very immersive and original.
    Everything is good in this game
  6. Cyc
    Feb 23, 2011
    There certainly seems to be a big split between people liking this game and hating it. I have to say I fall on the side of liking it. In fact, I would say loving it. The whole idea of an open world racing game is great, there's certainly plenty to do in it and it's easy to get lost in the whole world of the game and hours soon passing by.
    Yes, it does have certain issues. Graphics can be
    varied, at times the island comes to life in amazing detail, and at other times the graphics can look a little crude. Overall it's still very impressive. There is some noticeable pop up, and the frame rate can suffer at times, but not enough to distract you.

From what I can make out, most people who don't like the game are fans of the original, and they feel the game has not progressed enough and some of their favourite things even removed. This may be the case, I don't know. I never played the original. So if all this is new to you, then I can't see you can be anything but impressed by the sheer size of the game and what you can do.

You can spend hours just driving around the 2 islands, entering championships, challenging online players, forming clubs buying cars, houses and clothes. There is just so much to do.

If you can cope with the small issues it has, there's an amazing geme here.
  7. Jul 21, 2011
    I am writing this review after the mandatory update.Now this game is pretty cool.It's got a bazillion things to do and now that the update fixed most, but not all,of the problems it makes all the things pure enjoyment.After seeing and reading all of the major companies reviews it looks like only a few looked past the problems and reviewed this game right.Heck I even put it down to the floor cause of my disappointment.I really think this tops MC Los Angelas and burnout Paradise.I have off the charts fun even 5 months after it's release.Those other games are awesome in there own way but this is a different level.My hat is off to you,great game!9.0 Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2011
    Awesome game. Shame about online not working well but the additions since TDU 1 really make this game fun. Graphics are clean and functional without being outstanding. Game modes are ok but this is a driving game and as a driving game its awesome fun. Disc has hardly left my tray since release day.
  9. Feb 15, 2011
    This game rocks! I guess if you're not EA, you do not get fair ratings. The game has everything, and does it well. Even a Casino. which Atari could have sold as a seperate game (it comes bundled in some purchases). The graphics are beautiful, and its the only game theat blends single player and multiplayer flawlessly. As you play Single Player, you can actually see online gamers driving around. You can even challenge them to races, or just cruise with "Virtual Tourism". I played TDU1 for 5 years, still play it and TDU2 I'll be playing for 5 I'm sure. Expand
  10. Apr 12, 2011
    First of all,i have to start by saying This is one Complete package of a racing game! It really has alot of different things you can do,From Standard & Co-Op racing events,to delivering packages or people,or just cruising around for the sheer joy of it.. The detail & animation on the cars is superb,& the islands look very good considering its complete free roam & the sheer size of the game.Its nice to see weather effects in the game now too.This game would've got a perfect 10,had it not been for the state the game was in on release.From Massively twitchy handeling,to currupted saves,Changable Weather not being present when playing offline,& many smaller glitches.. The Bugs mentioned at the beginning really game braking bugs! & are unforgivable(I was really tempted to mark it down further,due to the bugs,but underneath it is a great game).Patches are all very well,but developers need to start realising that not everyone is online,& will be stuck with these massively flawed products.Its not good enough! Its about time they started taking pride in their products,& listening to their QA testers(why do they hire them at all.if they're not going to fix anything found)!? Games need to be unbroken BEFORE release,not after. Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2011
    It's a really nice game, the singleplayer, the multiplayer, all the modes.
    It has some minuses : Lifeless islands, you can't go off-road when chased by police, earning licences is not that great later in the game, voice acting is not that great, but who cares - it's fun and that's the most important thing in a game!
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    OMG why is this game rated so low? The technical issues have been patched and there's some free extra content. It's a driving RPG/sandbox. The driving mechanics aren't the best, nor is the game bug-free. But it's a complete package. Nothing here is of a high standard or has a quality feel, but at least it's not boring. If you want pure racing, look elsewhere. If you want an enjoyable experience, this is fairly good. It sure is addictive. What this game tries to do, and how well it does it, cannot be commended enough. It's such a shame that the game had so many bugs and exploits when it was first released. The achievements for this game are also pretty terrible. Sure, if you have them all, you have done absolutely everything there is to do in the game, but most of them are pretty silly and pointless. Chievos aside, TDU2 is the most complete driving RPG experience you can find. The quantity is here. The quality? That's personal preference. I think it's pretty average. However, if you consider what this game actually has done, you'll begin to see why it's one of the most underrated and underappreciated games EVER! Not only does it connect everyone playing the game seemlesly in a free-roam MMO Racing RPG environment in two beautiful islands with simply breathtaking sights all round, but the whole customisation of your cars (of which there is great variety - old and new - supercars to hot hatches and 4x4s) both performance-wise and visually, as well as customising your character, you houses and also the ability to challenge anyone on a huge variety of events and location at the flash of a headlight is just remarkable. The challenge creator gives you infinite possibilities, and the multiplayer races are not only innovative events such as having highest combined speed through cameras but also there are co-operative ones too. Don't see that anywhere else. The single player content is pretty good with again nice variety and makes use of both islands, all vehicle types and very satisfying. AI isn't a problem at all either. The driving physics are solid both off-road and on the road without assists; although you can enable them to suit your needs. You do get manual transmission, you get collectibles too. I can't see how this game could be improved other than a few finishing touches to make it less glitchy at points. It really is driving nirvana, which gives you ultimate freedom wrapped up in an MMORPG environment. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    What's with all these bad reviews? This game is my favorite driving game of the xbox by far. There are humungous maps for this, and tons of stuff to do. 10/10
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TDU2 is a fantastic game with something that no other open world racing game has to offer. That being a fully customizable life! You can customize your character's physical appearance at the plastic surgeon, as well as change your character's clothes, & what I think is the real kicker when it comes to your in-game customizable life is the ability to purchase REMARKABLE homes!! You also get to meet a decent variety of colorful characters though some are quite annoying... There is a decent variety of cars however, some cars are too sensitive and some cars don't sound right like GTR (R35) sounds like a ZR1 with a turbo, other cars tend to sound wrong as well but the R35 was the biggest mistake for me... Some of the garages are also a mission to find and I personally recommend going to YouTube to find them all.
    The graphics are awesome but do appear to be a bit cartoony at times. My biggest complaint which is solely do to my personal preference is the severe lack of JDM cars to be more specific R34 SKYLINES (MY FAVORITE CAR!!)

1. May 24, 2011
    We were really looking foreward to TDU 2. The controls of the cars and the AI are really poor. Online multiplayer is more offline than online.
  2. Apr 29, 2011
    Ultimately, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is a fun game to play that will keep you entertained for hours upon hours. Despite a few annoyances and flaws, the game has so much to do and explore that you could spend hours playing in this part of the game without any actual online multiplay.
  3. Mar 27, 2011
    I am a bit torn when it comes to Test Drive Unlimited 2. It is definitely not the worst racing game I have played, but it is marred with technical problems that really do affect the gameplay. I would be willing to overlook these issues if the storyline was either better or nonexistent, but as it stands the story is not even enjoyable in an ironic sort of corny way – it is just frustrating to not give a damn about the characters, especially your own.