5.8

1. Dec 2, 2012
    Hearthfire is relatively up front about what it intends to do and how it intends to do it. Point blank and period, it's about giving the player the chance to put together a home of his or her own, customized to match individual preference. On the positive side, it does enable one to create a home that feels more your own than any other you can buy in the game. You are given options on howHearthfire is relatively up front about what it intends to do and how it intends to do it. Point blank and period, it's about giving the player the chance to put together a home of his or her own, customized to match individual preference. On the positive side, it does enable one to create a home that feels more your own than any other you can buy in the game. You are given options on how the house is to be built and what is to go inside. And, if you are so inclined, you can build your house largely without expense; it's possible to gather and make the necessary components yourself (more on that in a tick). Now, on the flip side, the negatives. First, there are a lot of glitches. Little bugs that should be squished during the next update, but it's a little unnerving that Bethesda QA let so many errors slip through. One such bug prevents expense-free construction, even if you do everything right, which is frustrating to self-sufficient game styles. But bigger than that is the mutual-exclusion construction model -- if you want this room, then you can't have these two no matter what. Frankly, for the size house you're putting together, being limited to three wings without any possible compromise seems like an artificial limit. Realistically, I can see limiting buildings to three wings and two towers. There are also precious few options beyond "do you want this or not?" You get no say in what furniture is installed or where, just whether you want to use the offerings hard-coded into the system, there are no aesthetic options, either interior or exterior. In short, there's very little flexibility. Options are the key in add-ons like this, and Hearthfire has enough to make it worth buying, but not nearly enough to make it a 10. Add in the bugs, and 7-8 is a reasonable (possibly slightly generous) score. Expand
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    Strangely Addictive.

I get that this DLC isn't action packed or doesn't really add any "adventure" to the Skyrim experience, but if you are a fan of this enormous RPG you should love this add-on too. After completing all of the quests my warrior was ready to settle down and build him a house. I love the fact I can store everything and display it in my own Armory. After all that hard
    Strangely Addictive.

After completing all of the quests my warrior was ready to settle down and build him a house. I love the fact I can store everything and display it in my own Armory. After all that hard work it's nice to see those weapons and armor you worked so hard to obtain on display for all to see.

I would give it a 10 if not for a few minor bugs. However, this add-on is affordable and a lot of fun if you are like me and have a need to organize all your loot.
  3. Sep 7, 2012
    I found this DLC to be fantastic. It just added to the atmosphere of the game which is great. Great immersion and I actually enjoyed this more than dawnguard. Heres hoping for a shivering isles like expansion.
  4. Mar 21, 2014
    Hearthfire was a wonderful, low key addition to a game where you sometimes felt the need to just get away from it all. I loved the drafting and building process and enjoyed the challenge of trying to collect enough resources to get everything done, it turned every dungeon crawl into a treasure hunt. At the end of hard day of adventuring, it was nice to come home, drop off my stuff, andHearthfire was a wonderful, low key addition to a game where you sometimes felt the need to just get away from it all. I loved the drafting and building process and enjoyed the challenge of trying to collect enough resources to get everything done, it turned every dungeon crawl into a treasure hunt. At the end of hard day of adventuring, it was nice to come home, drop off my stuff, and indulge in a fantasy where I am father and husband and handyman. I am a Father and Husband, the handyman part is the fantasy, and maybe that's why I enjoyed this expansion so much. Expand
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    This DLC is well worth £3.50 but perhaps not as good as i was expecting. With this DLC i was expecting a bit more customisation with your house. however introducing three plots of land to choose from the add on kept me interested.
  6. Jan 25, 2015
    People saying this dlc is crap can shut up it is great! Now i can have a house i customized that isn't a small closed off house people are also only reviewing the house build you can also have children who will play games with you ask you for allowance and find animals in the woods that they can keep as pets (with your permission of course) and the only things I don't like about this dlcPeople saying this dlc is crap can shut up it is great! Now i can have a house i customized that isn't a small closed off house people are also only reviewing the house build you can also have children who will play games with you ask you for allowance and find animals in the woods that they can keep as pets (with your permission of course) and the only things I don't like about this dlc is that there are only three locations to build a house and after a while your children will star repeating lines of dialogue many many times. Overall a grey dlc if you are thinking about buying it buy it. Expand

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Considering that this is a smaller piece of Skyrim DLC than Dawnguard, though, that nitpick doesn’t deter me from saying that Hearthfire is worth the price of admission. Customizing a home and populating it with kids fits perfectly into the premise of making the Skyrim world your own, and it’s certainly provided some fun add-on entertainment.
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Overall, the entire endeavor is extremely costly and a good chunk of playtime is necessary to amass enough money to trick out the small mansion after blowing thousands on the initial structure. Yet this is perhaps the true quality of Hearthfire-the ability to simply get players back into the world of Skyrim after abandoning it after exhausting the main quest or slaying through the Dawnguard expansion.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Hearthfire is a cosmetic add-on that enables you to build three houses and adopt children. Although relatively cheap (400 MSP), there is no story to speak of and the house building options are very limited. [Oct 2012]