7.3

1. Jun 9, 2016
    This lotr game is not to good, but it's in some way fun. First off, the story is so undevoloped, with characters undevoloped, and the story having no memorable moments. The combat sucks. The graphics are decent. The best way to play this is online with freind's, that's the only enjoyment about it.
  2. Jul 16, 2014
    LOTR War in the North is a solid hack and slash action rpg. it provides plenty of fan service and it has intresting characters and you can do a quest for bilbo baggins for pete's sake. but the combat and environments can get repetitive and the game is best experienced with two other friends the A.I partners can be really stupid sometimes. overall it is average at best but should be boughtLOTR War in the North is a solid hack and slash action rpg. it provides plenty of fan service and it has intresting characters and you can do a quest for bilbo baggins for pete's sake. but the combat and environments can get repetitive and the game is best experienced with two other friends the A.I partners can be really stupid sometimes. overall it is average at best but should be bought by LOTR fans who have been looing for a solid LOTR game Expand
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    Boring and no fun on your own and its okay with friends, no amazing borderlands co-op. Lord of the Rings: War in the north 5.5/10
  4. Apr 30, 2012
    War in the North is a fun title if you enjoy a good hack and slash, or Snowblind's prior works such as Champions. While nowhere as well done as Return to Arms, it certainly shows the influence. You have three character choices with actual different play styles and game opportunities, and combat is visceral and largely satisfying. The game also has a really authentic art and beautiful artWar in the North is a fun title if you enjoy a good hack and slash, or Snowblind's prior works such as Champions. While nowhere as well done as Return to Arms, it certainly shows the influence. You have three character choices with actual different play styles and game opportunities, and combat is visceral and largely satisfying. The game also has a really authentic art and beautiful art style, each piece of equipment is true to the lore set by the films and varies depending on the craftsman (be it man, elf or dwarf). The things that really water down the game (and its score) are the concessions to casual players. Treasure is everywhere and multiple players (the best way to play) can all loot the same chest. There are these 'magic shops' (is it even explained?) that serve as the main way to pawn off gear (no need to even town portal Diablo style). And because of this, the teamwork of trading items and gold doesn't even exist. A few FPS style last stand sequences with ballistas feel out of place and overall it is a little easy. However, it looks nice, plays well and is one of the better games to bear the LotR franchise. I debated giving it a 6, but it received an extra point for being a fun coop game that supports system link. Expand
  5. Feb 4, 2012
    This game isn't perfect by any means, however it is very enjoyable. The storyline is interesting, and the graphics and design are great. However, the inability to switch between character types on the fly hurts the overall experience, especially concerning side quests. The combat is also somewhat repetitive.
  6. Jan 12, 2012
    This review may be a little bit biased since I am huge fan of The Lord of the Ring's franchise. I thoght this game was above average or 'good' nothing else. While it certainly doesn't raise the bar for co-op dungeon crawlers it was better than Hunted: Demon's Forge. I think they main problem with the game is threefold. 1. The characters are boring and not interesting, thats a huge markThis review may be a little bit biased since I am huge fan of The Lord of the Ring's franchise. I thoght this game was above average or 'good' nothing else. While it certainly doesn't raise the bar for co-op dungeon crawlers it was better than Hunted: Demon's Forge. I think they main problem with the game is threefold. 1. The characters are boring and not interesting, thats a huge mark down because the LotR franchise PRIDES itself with interesting and well developed characters. 2. Repetitive. No diversity in the enemy so most level feels the same with no new tactic needed. Most Dungeon Crawlers (I say most because Dark Souls did a top notch job) seem to have critisism for having little to no variety, this game is the same. 3. The RPG elements are lacking. If this game or a possible sequel could fix those problems it probably would have critical or may be even universal acclaim. Also if I wasn't a Lotr fanatic I woulda rated the game a 5 or 6. Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2011
    I have a love/hate relationship with action-RPGs. When they're good, I love them, when they're not-so-good, there are fewer genres that I hate more. The formula for a good action-RPG isn't even that hard, to my preferences: give me plenty of progression choices, and make them interesting; make the combat fast and exciting, with ample diversity in attacks; and for christ's sakes have aI have a love/hate relationship with action-RPGs. When they're good, I love them, when they're not-so-good, there are fewer genres that I hate more. The formula for a good action-RPG isn't even that hard, to my preferences: give me plenty of progression choices, and make them interesting; make the combat fast and exciting, with ample diversity in attacks; and for christ's sakes have a somewhat passable and entertaining story. LOTR: War in the North provides none of these things in any significant way.

To be blunt, I was bored within the first 15 minutes. This game truly feels like a 10 year old, cardboard cutout, cheap-development-to-make-a-quick-buck adventure game jazzed up with modern visuals. It's as if the developers hadn't played a learned from some of the better action-RPG titles of the past decade, namely the Diablo series, which should be the standard by which all other games of this genre should weigh themselves (not be clones, mind you). Hell, even more recent lackluster offerings are far more tolerable, such as Bedlam Games' Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale, and that game was a fraction of the price of this one. The only redeeming quality of WITN is you might have a slightly more pleasant experience if you are playing with friends in a multiplayer/co-op session. But even then I hesitate to make any implication that you won't be bored in this fashion, as well. Did any of the creators stop and ask themselves basic game-design questions...such as "Hasn't this been done before, but better?"..."Can we really solely rely on the fan base of this franchise to back up this game?"...or the obvious "Is it really fun to mash a couple of buttons repeatedly and spend 5 minutes killing a measly pack of goblins, with little reward?" It's as if these groups are filled with oblivious yes-men types that just sing the praises of their own creation the whole way through, rather than being critical and trying to make the best game possible (just as some reviewers can never really bring themselves to say negative things about a game when it is necessary). Then they push out an inferior product with a huge price tag and try to ride of the coattails of the game's namesake, basically taking you for a fool. And then you'll write positive reviews about it on Metacritic trying to convince yourself that you didn't just waste your money on this game.

I should clarify more thoroughly that all of my negative ranting is hinged on one rage-inducing factor about this game: it's price. D&D: Daggerdale (I make this comparison again because I think, realistically, these two games should be considered within the same quality scale) debuted at $15, I believe, and this game debuted at $50. WITN may be a bit lengthier, but it no way justified this price. And let's not forget Skyrim was only $10 more expensive than WITN. Let that sink in.

As a single-player experience it is a complete mind-numbing chore. With friends, you can pass away a few afternoons having some fun, and it is tolerable (maybe with some beer in you, to help out). And if this game was say, $20 cheaper than its debut price, I probably wouldn't be so harsh. Wait for it to lower in price if you really must partake in this LOTR tale, because there are far better games you can be playing with those 50 dollars.
  8. Nov 22, 2011
    I think one word describes this game. Solid. It is a very solid Lord of the Rings the title. It reminds me of Dragon Age in some respects... Well Dragon Age lite. It also brings back good memories of the old Lord of the Rings Two Towers and Return of the King games I used to play on the Gamecube. The story obviously isn't as good as the actual Lord of Rings story itself but there's enoughI think one word describes this game. Solid. It is a very solid Lord of the Rings the title. It reminds me of Dragon Age in some respects... Well Dragon Age lite. It also brings back good memories of the old Lord of the Rings Two Towers and Return of the King games I used to play on the Gamecube. The story obviously isn't as good as the actual Lord of Rings story itself but there's enough of the Lord of the Rings universe that keeps the LOTR nerds satisfied and keeps the game moving. It runs on a hack n slash like system of combat with a lot of rpg elements added in. Like I said Dragon Age lite. But it's an amusing game! Nothing quite like cutting off an orc's head. It's worth the full 60 dollar price tag but it will probably be discounted soon and it will be worth it then. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2011
    this game might be the best in the series but i like the co op expierence and a well thought story but criticies the exact gameplay like dark allicance
  10. Nov 1, 2011
    Had a lot of hope for War in the North. Popped it in struggled through the first hour. Was hoping the story would would grab me and take me for a ride. Alas it did not! This game is a button mash bore fest. Please rent before you buy.
  11. Nov 1, 2011
    Not the best or the worst RPG I ever played but Lord of the rings War in the North is a pretty good game. i actually liked most of the game but there was a little bit of problems.

1. Feb 22, 2012
    I might have had less aggravation if I had a dedicated group of other players to go through the game with from beginning to end, but I wouldn't ask any of my friends to pay full price for The Lord of the Rings: War in the North. Thankfully, since War in the North was released after Dark Souls, before Skyrim, and on the same day as Uncharted 3, there's a good chance the game is already in the bargain bin for a fraction of the MSRP.
  2. Feb 15, 2012
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North is fine for a few hours of jolly good fun, but once you realise that the game has played its hand early and really has nothing else to offer then the lustre is soon lost. Poor AI, boring combat and pointless quests all add up to a disappointing game that would be better off dropped into the fires of Mordor.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    This isn't too bad for a couple of hours of button hammering with two friends. [Issue#118, p.112]