4.0

1. Mar 24, 2013
    Thank god, it has some meaning for Zombie Shooters like The Walking Dead. The story wants more attention, its not like The other walking dead games. For a price of $50 it doesn't get your money's worth but it does deliver some fun and its story is kind of nice.
  2. Mar 25, 2013
    this game is stupid bugs you cant even jump on some cars you cant even sent merl to find so food or ammo wtf is this and no coop this game graphics suck big time shame on you i have no words
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    As soon as I saw the Activision logo, I knew I was in for a crapfest. This, in no way, can compete with the, in my opinion, phenomenal Walking Dead game by Telltale Games. If you honestly had to make a choice of a Walking Dead game to choose from, pick the amazing Telltale version.
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    People are expecting too much. It's not a half-baked game, and it's not Terminal Reality's fault the game turned out the way it did. They're a decent development studio, they just got a cheap project with a quick deadline. Not everybody can churn out Luigi's Mansion in a year; Terminal Reality did the best they could, and if they had two or three years, all these great ideas would havePeople are expecting too much. It's not a half-baked game, and it's not Terminal Reality's fault the game turned out the way it did. They're a decent development studio, they just got a cheap project with a quick deadline. Not everybody can churn out Luigi's Mansion in a year; Terminal Reality did the best they could, and if they had two or three years, all these great ideas would have turned into something much better than what we see. Now, if you go into the game remembering the golden age of ps2 and orginal Xbox, you'll get an entertaining blast from the past. The game's not horrendously bad, it's just dated and rushed.

Also, the game plays great on Wii U; item management on the Gamepad makes the game much easier to play.
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    It's a real shame Terminal Reality (or Activision but I mostly suspect TR for that, Activision wouldn't be that dumb) are using bots on Metacritic to "boost" their User Score.

I hope Metacritic techs are saving the IPs user agent of all these 10/10 reviews and doing a little bit of tracing, if that goes unpunished all the shoddy devs like TR will do the same to Metacritic.
  6. Mar 25, 2013
    It is a very simple game that didn't get enough play testing. There are many problems with it like the walkers becoming joggers which made me mad being the fan I am. When you get in the middle of a herd and have an endless group hug is none the less annoying. The game still has a lot of bugs which hopefully can be fixed. The driving fuel part of the game isn't even that bad because youIt is a very simple game that didn't get enough play testing. There are many problems with it like the walkers becoming joggers which made me mad being the fan I am. When you get in the middle of a herd and have an endless group hug is none the less annoying. The game still has a lot of bugs which hopefully can be fixed. The driving fuel part of the game isn't even that bad because you always break down by a place with all the supples in the world making it useless to pick highway. And the story is only about 4-6 hours at most. Expand
  7. Mar 26, 2013
    Awful game. graphics are just awful at least borderland 2 meant to have comic graphics.grass just looks like a cardboard box painted green a laid on the ground.zombies are as stupid as a drunken hobo in fact the only highlight of this game is the voice acting of Norman reedus.do not buy.
  8. Mar 25, 2013
    I know the graphics really sucks but I think the story it's great I think the could invest much more on the game. I give 7 out of 10 because the story it's great, and I don't have seen any bugs on the game except on the final mission the truck it's just bugged
  9. Apr 1, 2013
    WTF is this. This was terrible ive never seen anything more poorly excuted in my life. The only positive is the voice acting thats it. The survival aspects are gone in this. You have poor AI for zombies! Really how do mess that up i cant believe it
  10. Apr 3, 2013
    I don't understand why everyone is giving this game such a terrible review. It is definitely not the best game I've ever played, but I read the reviews and decided to try it out myself. I think the game does have some great elements, the decision making and choosing where to go next is very innovative in a zombie style game. It has times when I jumped because a zombie caught meI don't understand why everyone is giving this game such a terrible review. It is definitely not the best game I've ever played, but I read the reviews and decided to try it out myself. I think the game does have some great elements, the decision making and choosing where to go next is very innovative in a zombie style game. It has times when I jumped because a zombie caught me unexpectedly. This game reminds me of a toned down Dead Island. Is it worth your $50? No, I can say when it gets to $20 bucks or less I would recommend the game to anyone, it is worth that. This game right now is definitely a rental. You will have some good times with it. Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    The back story to Daryl and Merle... was a FAILURE. No wow factor, nothing in this game will want you to keep playing to the end. It's pretty bad when you care less about the characters as the LEADS in a game as opposed to the TV show where they are not. This game is worth a play at 10 bucks, but anything more and you're just getting ripped off.
  12. Apr 15, 2013
    Just another rushed game for a quick buck. Boring and repetitive game-play, boring story line, boring weapons. This is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Wait, I'm confused, EA didn't make this?
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    This game could have been so much more. But it wasn't. When I saw it advertised instead of being excited and interested, I just simply said 'This'll be terrible.' The game itself is broken and the A.I. is that of a wondering sheep in a field.
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    Terrible. It was a good thought for a game but thy should have spent more time with it. Honestly I hated and it was not worth 40 bucks maybe 10 or 15.
  15. Apr 28, 2013
    Is this a prototype? Meh. The AI of the zombies are stupid, Even though guns feel right, everything else doesn't. This is not a survival game this game is meant for the story? Pardon me? The Story is completely A child could of wrote it.. The developers gave the bare minimal effort to create this game, This was only made to get money off of stupid consumers. I mark this as a Scam for theIs this a prototype? Meh. The AI of the zombies are stupid, Even though guns feel right, everything else doesn't. This is not a survival game this game is meant for the story? Pardon me? The Story is completely A child could of wrote it.. The developers gave the bare minimal effort to create this game, This was only made to get money off of stupid consumers. I mark this as a Scam for the Xbox 360, This was meant for the Playstation 2. Collapse
  16. ERB
    Aug 1, 2013
    Why on earth is this game has low scores It is practically fun and awesome.I will never get It why you guys hate this.I mean this game is better than dead island.
  17. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had high hopes for me being a hardcore fan of the series, then I played it, now this game had piss poor graphics to warz standard, and a combat system with duh hit 3 times that'll do it" not much variety at all. So I expected the story and atmosphere to do something, like the telltale game, WRONG linear story, goofy walkers and no feel that the world went to Now there are cool features like going in stealthy or Rambo-ing it up with guns but it made no difference, then there was alternate routes back roads used more fuel but more scavenge opportunities but then highways had lower fuel consumption but you break down more often. This cool except you can take the highways, use less fuel then break down and scavenge for supplies in same gas station you find every time with ZERO variety.
    Then at the end SPOILERS!! you get a cliffhanger ending where Daryl and Merle drive off into the sunset YOU it is mass effect 3 bad.
    Then if you buy the dlc what happens oh some new guns and a absolute survival mode that has 1 map and random weapons spawn. There is no tactics just shoot every thing in sight and drink some soda while your at it.
    So final verdict is rental or pirate it cause it has potential bad terrible execution.
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    Nothing more then your average money grab by activation. Poorly executed and rusted, although the game still provides entertainment it's just missing a true story which could of been a masterpiece. Its a shame this happened to such a well known franchise name, looks like another missed opportunity. Would not recommended unless your looking to blow cash or your a serious WD freak.
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    The crossbow was pretty awesome, slegehammer and fire axe was great for hurry situtation, but other melee weapon was so weak. the quest was pretty good and challenging. The most moment's that i hate it was, the breakdown and some scavenged chance that ruined some of the gameplay. The game was great only for recomendation, not to be positive.
  20. Jun 27, 2013
    I like this game, it's not different from any other zombie game apart from the player being Daryl (it's deryl not daryl) but I enjoyed myself. There's not many missions to do at all, and all it consists of is you being abandoned by meryl (once you've found him), running round and collecting supplies and killing around 20 zombies a time. It gets repetitive easily but it kills time. TheI like this game, it's not different from any other zombie game apart from the player being Daryl (it's deryl not daryl) but I enjoyed myself. There's not many missions to do at all, and all it consists of is you being abandoned by meryl (once you've found him), running round and collecting supplies and killing around 20 zombies a time. It gets repetitive easily but it kills time. The gameplay is nothing different, and the story is kinda s*it. Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I didn't mind a few of the bugs, but their were very few memorable characters besides merle and dearl. plus it had the worst ending I have ever seen. it said it was a prequel but it ended with merle pulling you out a evacuation helicopter and saying the pilot was bitten, then you drive out of the evacuation zone. The End. It's a average game, a lot of bugs and glitches, and I only remember 2 of the characters besides dearl and merle. the ending is what got it a 4 out of 10 Expand
  22. Sep 30, 2013
    The Story

The Story

The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts brings you into an apocalyptic world where zombies roam the world. Throughout the game you play as Daryl Dixon, one of the main characters from the television show. In Survival Instincts, the story line gives general players and fans of The Walking Dead and insight look of how Daryl, and his brother Merle Dixon, met up with the main group and what they went through before that time occurred as well as show how Daryl achieved his ever-so famous crossbow.

The Graphics

Graphics quality in Survival Instincts somewhat lacks a dynamic punch, for example a walkers, otherwise known as a zombie, hair looks like it was made of glue or clay then molded onto the head. However, the diversity of each walkers face has it's own unique pattern of bite marks, scratches, shapes of the jaw, teeth and more, these all add to a good fright factor at the right moment of time e.g in a dark room, turning round and a walker attacks you out of no where. There are a great amount of bugs relating to graphics, such as broken fence pieces still floating midair, gates flashing black when opened, walkers floating when killed. All around missions have invisible walls, preventing you from going further away from the current map without any sort of police barricade, for example, taking away a bit of the realistic touch.

The Mechanics and sound

The AI is very sloppy, throughout gameplay I had opened a metal fence and the walkers still attacked the fence, paying no attention to me whatsoever, I then began to kill them one by one. When one walker died another took its place, as if they were lining up to die. The scavenging mechanics allow you to gather survivors and send them out to gather supplies, but the amount of survivors depends on the size of the car you currently have. That said, there are missions that allow you to find car keys to either bigger, or smaller, cars. When sending out survivors to scavenge for supplies, there is always a chance of getting them killed by walkers, depending on what item you give them to defend themselves with as each survivor has their own skill trait such as being good at using blunt weapons. There were countless sound bugs within this game, fences breaking with the sound of wood getting chopped, walkers dying with the sound of a metal fence breaking and more. The game includes a feature where the player can choose a method of travel such as highways, streets and backroads. Depending on what method you choose, one method can either consume less fuel or another method may take a road such as backroads where it consumes a lot of fuel with a high chance of breaking down. If, by chance, your car breaks down or runs out of fuel, a side mission will take place allowing you to scavenge the nearby area for fuel or car hose. The issue with the side missions is that they're very repetitive, as there are about 3-4 different areas.

The Gameplay

It felt a bit stiff trying to kill walkers, e.g using the sledgehammer was a lot quicker than normal. One thing that gives a good addition to gameplay is sneaking around, trying to sneak past walkers and stealth killing them by sneaking up from behind and executing the stealth kill action. Like any realistic movie or game, gun fire attracts walkers to your location so be sure to only use your gun in dire situations and ammo is scarce to watch out, you don't want to run out of ammo when you desperately need it. If you ever happen to get grabbed by a walker, it activates a grappling mechanic where the player must place the circle onto the walkers head, activate the attack trigger and stab them in the head. This method breaks fighting gameplay by 50% due to the fact after killing the walker that grabbed you, if there is another walker, it will grab you almost instantly after you let go of the previous walker, this allows you to kill over 15 walkers without using any ammo, losing any health and just drains the fun and realism out of the game entirely. On the last mission, near the very end the last thing you did is mount a military vehicles machine gun and kill any incoming zombies, after which it cuts to black screen and goes to the credits, without showing you how exactly Daryl and Merle met the group like the game was purposely made for.

Final Verdict

The game seems rushed, only to gain quick money. For the price of $49.99 or £31.99 makes the game a complete rip off, due to the lack of effort of the game. I feel the only reason others need to buy this game, is to play as Daryl Dixon and get to see Merle, even though he is barely in the game. A poor effort to a great series that could have become something incredible if more time was put into it.
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    This is my review for walking dead: survival instinct

SINGLE PLAYER: 4/10. good characters, but very poor storytelling and direction GRAPHICS: 3/10. outdated, awful N64 graphics with loads of glitches SOUND: 5/10. legit voice actors, but poor quality otherwise GAMEPLAY: 3/10. sub par controls, loads of glitches, and poor fighting and mechanics FUN FACTOR: 4/10. as a fan of the show,
    This is my review for walking dead: survival instinct

SINGLE PLAYER: 4/10. good characters, but very poor storytelling and direction
    GRAPHICS: 3/10. outdated, awful N64 graphics with loads of glitches
    SOUND: 5/10. legit voice actors, but poor quality otherwise
    FUN FACTOR: 4/10. as a fan of the show, i was very disappointed with this mediocre attempt at the game. good ideas, but terrible execution. man, i wish this game turned out better.
    TOTAL: 3/10
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    There are some good things about this game, but they are countered by the many things wrong with this poor excuse for a licensed video game. The graphics are textureless, the story is dull and lacking (especially for walking dead) voice acting is awful, and most of all... there is no replay values. This game could have been soooo much more.
  25. Feb 7, 2014
    AWFUL!!! Quite possibly the worst game I have played on this console generation. A cash in money grab by Activision to take advantage of fans. I love the walking dead and loved telltales version go buy that not this it's cheaper and more fun and will not make you want to kill yourself. Beware the 10/10 reviews they mostly only have that one review on their account hello Activision staff weAWFUL!!! Quite possibly the worst game I have played on this console generation. A cash in money grab by Activision to take advantage of fans. I love the walking dead and loved telltales version go buy that not this it's cheaper and more fun and will not make you want to kill yourself. Beware the 10/10 reviews they mostly only have that one review on their account hello Activision staff we are not as stupid as you like to think. Personally I would find a real zombie apocalypse a lot less distressing than playing this game.

The only reason it get's a 1 is due to the fact they released a game that sort of works all though I wish they had not and would have not had to suffer through it. You get the feeling it was rushed and no one gave a toss it was just a scam to separate you from your hard earned cash.

The good- Errr it is short so you don't suffer any longer than necessary
    The bad- A toss up between the awful combat awful look of the game.
    The ugly- How can you not program zombie A.I? Please tell me
    Verdict: 1/10 YOU FAIL IT!!
  26. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a shameless cash-in on The Walking Dead,(which is by the way one of my favorite TV shows), with awful AI, and lazy, and dull gameplay, completely useless fellow survivors, and a terrible ending which, shows how big of a bunch of cash whores is Activision, this is a really awful game. Expand
  27. Feb 8, 2014
    Why the flying f**k was this game made?! I mean seriously I was disappointed, my world with Lee and Clementine is sooooo much more interesting than this steaming pile of crap. The only thing I liked about this game is that later on you get to use THE GODDAMN CROSSBOW! Which is a show iconic weapon... I feel a bit bad for the actors who decided to stay in this ah well but at least theyWhy the flying f**k was this game made?! I mean seriously I was disappointed, my world with Lee and Clementine is sooooo much more interesting than this steaming pile of crap. The only thing I liked about this game is that later on you get to use THE GODDAMN CROSSBOW! Which is a show iconic weapon... I feel a bit bad for the actors who decided to stay in this ah well but at least they were interesting and did rather good in their part of the game. And whoever gives this a 10 I will hunt you down and do what I did to Larry.
    I'm Kenny from the walking dead and I review to save lives.
  28. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely horrible. I wish I never bought this game. Save your money. The only good part is the actors voice-overs. I got it to have a TWD weekend starting with playing the game and then watching the return of the show on Feb 9th. I played the game for one hour and couldn't stand it anymore. It's in the box on the shelf never to be seen again. Thanks for ruining a fun weekend Activision.
  29. Feb 9, 2014
    I was really getting into the L4D series and was revisiting it. I started checking around for zombie games and ran across this. I really enjoyed the title and was surprised to see the very bad reviews it is getting. Yes true, it is sort of a throwback to older games but I liked that about the game and also liked the stealth gameplay idea since you wouldn't want to draw in the attentionI was really getting into the L4D series and was revisiting it. I started checking around for zombie games and ran across this. I really enjoyed the title and was surprised to see the very bad reviews it is getting. Yes true, it is sort of a throwback to older games but I liked that about the game and also liked the stealth gameplay idea since you wouldn't want to draw in the attention of hordes of zombies. Nice change-up from a run of the mill FPS that shows they put some thought into the gameplay. Not a bad game, and it will definitely get me into Season 4 of the TV show, which I hadn't previously watched. Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2014
    why so underrated? TWD SI is not bad at all...the graphics is decent, the story is good, the voice acting is really good....but is too short, I kinda enjoyed this game...there is not multiplayer or coop and that is not good but its still a really fun game...
  31. Apr 28, 2013

1. May 28, 2013
    With the success of Telltale Games’s arcade game, there were high hopes for this full-fledged retail title. As it happens you would be best off saving your pennies for the already announced sequel to the arcade title as Survival Instinct will leave you with bitter feelings towards The Walking Dead series. Unless you are an absolute nutter for anything to do with The Walking Dead, your money will be best spent elsewhere.
  2. May 20, 2013
    It's as if the developer simply ceased to care, or ran out of time, or both. Who knows? What we do know is that Terminal Velocity has crafted something truly loathsome and undeserving of its heritage. [Issue#135, p.108]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Archaic design spoils good ideas in this shoddy squandering of one of the hottest licenses going. [June 2013, p.74]