5.2

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Oh god how pathetic when developers and marketing people have to give positive reviews for games just to try and boost their sales.

Anyone who rates this game a 7,8,9 or 10 out of 10 are just not being realistic.

I was looking forward to this game and was hugely disappointed. Its uninspired, buggy, nowhere next gen, little own last gen and with 10 years past since the last title the
    game has not made any improvements and instead have destroyed a good game.

DO NOT WASTE your money.
  2. Feb 28, 2014
    If you are a long time fan of the series this reboot will not disappoint. It will if you long for the original, but keep in mind rebooting is what the Zelda series generally does with each installment. This feels like garret in an alternate thief reality and I really dig the approach. Having reflected on other reviews I admit my bias: I was going to love this game no matter what. It basically started the stealth approach in gaming and it has chosen to keep its pacing despite over ten years of gaming trends and changes in gaming culture. I admire that. This game requires full immersion, it wants you to go slow and take your time. That's what thriving is: being patient slow and cautious.

As much as I love the game and am happy with the style and the story it does suffer. I dislike the cinematic elements preferring the old games' picture frame storytelling better. The cinematics force a dramatic tone where the writing takes a hit here and there...no biggie. Also the camera in these sequences is choppy. A technical faux pas. Enemy ai isn't always great and NPC dialogue volume is wonky, and sometimes it echoes. Still not bad enough to break the game. New tools are cool, new ideas for thriving like cutting out paintings are nice.

Story Missions aren't horrible at all. Other reviewers are praising the open world missions and condemning the story's. Some of them are pretty white knuckled!

Don't dislike this game on the merits of what other games do or have done. Like this game on its own see what it offers and you will find a game that requires silence, darkness, patience, timing; if you like low calorie games with lots of flash and sugar you should search elsewhere. Thief is substance.

The city layout is cramped not because the level designers dropped the ball but because that is what The City is. Get lost in it. Know its paths. Know its routes and its history.

One thing I miss from the old games is reading letters on paper not on the drop down pause screen.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! A masterful creation! Expand
  5. Feb 28, 2014
    Ok people trust me here this is a very good game. I never played the first two but played and loved deadly shadows. Unfortunately the reviewers have been way to harsh on this game. I hope this franchise hasn't been ruined by this as we all know how much it costs now to make a game. If you like proper stealth with a cracking atmosphere put this on your list. As this last generation comes to an end I've noticed reviewers getting harsher and harsher with their critique of games. Just look at the start of the generation with fable 2 getting 89 on metacritic and it was an average game at best!!! So it just shows you dont be influenced too much by reviewers. Try this for yourself if you like stealth. Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    After playing 1/2 an hour of this game I put it back in the box and generally decided I didn't like the game. But, after watching some soccer on the TV, I was really thinking about putting the game back in and having another play. When I put it back in I saw a completely different light to this game, a stealth game that can quickly turn from a slow pace, to a quick rush of excitement. Square Enix did there best with this game, and especially since there will be some hardcore fan who are simply not satisfied with this game. Expand
  7. Feb 26, 2014
    I wanted to like this game but after seeing the reviews I wasn't sure. I decided to pick it up from redbox and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. Now I won't say it's a bad game just a clunky mediocre one at best. It is a straight up stealth game so if you try to play like a cold blooded killer you will die or get caught up in the worst first person combat I've seen from a high budget game. I couldn't finish it as I was just bored with the game. It didn't do anything new or exciting that some stealth games do. It definitely wasn't my kind of game and its sad because I do love stealth games like splinter cell and metal gear but those two games let you have a choice to play stealth while this game encourages it. The stealth in thief is actually pretty good as you have to hide in the shadows from enemies and wait. The game falls apart when you have to fight a guard one or two on one as the combat is terribly clunky and boring. It's a shame too because I wanted to like this and believe it was good but I was left with a mediocre game from a great development company (they made deus ex human revolution after all) this thief should learn to bring better weapons and and sad to say but this game deserves to stay in the shadows. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2014
    Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.

- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
    - Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
    - Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
    - AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
    - Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
    - Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
    - Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
    - Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
    - Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
    - Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.

More words:
    - Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
    - You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
    - Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
    - There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
    - Forced takedown sequences
    - Forced escape sequences
    - Thirdperson climbing sequences
    - Occasional QTE before load screens/level loads
  9. Mar 7, 2014
    Disappointing.. The combat is clunky and in a "realistic stealth game," unlike this one, it doesn't take five thousand hits to kill someone. The detection is buggy. You know, even the first person is lame, I get that this guy steals stuff, but I don't want to see his hands sticking out all the time. Most of the stuff you'll loot is unimportant and this just feels compulsive. Makes me think of the looting from Dead Island; which I absolutely hated. Story? Uh, yeah, no. Voice acting/cutscene animation? You guessed it.. no. This is an utter failure. Abysmal. I suppose I'll give it a one because now I'm thinking about how I'd give Dead Island a zero. Expand
  10. Apr 13, 2014
    What appears to be a perfectly serviceable reboot of a once excellent game series is let down by occasionally horrendous game design. I can recommend Thief for the most hardcore of stealth fans, but only those who can overlook the fact that their success is usually down to bad A.I rather than player skill. If you were a fan of the original and are looking for an equally good stealth experience then, like Adam Sessler says, go play Dishonored. Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2014
    now i going to be straight and simple pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett cons:graphics engine old,story is weak all about ERIN,where is the story related thieving?,monsters? really? it was irritating pile of ****. old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief (old-gen version) Expand
  12. Mar 4, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own. I LOVE the atmosphere in this game.

I have come to love the sound design in this game. Playing with headphones you realize all of the amazing little touches and how accurate the positional sound is. As far as the voice acting is concerned, it is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

Those giving this game 0/10 and scores like that are complete douchebags and honestly have no business reviewing games. They are hatemongers who simply love bashing and tearing things down. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is all too common in our society. I have NEVER given a game a score that low, because the truth is, no game has ever deserved such a score. Such scores indicate a game that is completely broken and without redeeming qualities. Thief may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it plays well, looks great and offers a lot of fun for those that enjoy these kind of stealth games. I would personally give the game an 8.9.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably. It's one of the best pure stealth games in years. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I believe it is likely that you will too.
  13. Feb 25, 2014
    For an stealth game is ok, the graphics are poor and don't have an good history, i love stealth games but i was expecting more from this game sincerily, about the bugs, there are a lot of 'em.
  14. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. imagine dishonored, then cut its development time by six months. imagine all the hard work and polish that went into making sure that game didn't just fly off a cliff in a flaming mess just never happened. you have the thief. yep, it's pretty terrible. here's why:

-the game is a directionless mess, especially in classic mode. expect to spend a long time wandering in circles, spotting helpful strategies for entry on the way out, breezing through sections the game wants you to feel are tough, and tearing your hair out at over most mundane, simple things.
    -the game is joyless, kills its own mood and atmosphere constantly
    -menus are ugly, clunky
    -nearly all type is way too small to read
    -borrows heavily from dishonored yet expects you to forget the quality of that game
    -everyone has really weird french canadian accents, it sounds like their faces are melting when they talk. the voice acting in general is pretty awful, and the script and truly ugly character design doesn't do it any favors.
    -the controls are unresponsive. you'll see a prompt onscreen letting you know you can interact with an object by pressing a button, and then 70% of the time it will do nothing unless you press that button really fast three times.
    -garrett's grab and looting animations take a fraction of a second to center the screen and load every time you grab or loot something. this makes for a real distraction considering you do this every 5 seconds
    -voices are heard (frequently) through walls, from above floors and below floors, as if they were right in your ear, leaving you scratching your head wondering what is happening.
    -garrett talks over other people, and other NPCs will talk much louder than the NPC they are speaking to (one guy will be yelling while the other will be whispering, unintentionally)
    -easily avoidable, obvious traps will activate, you'll die instantly, but you won't see how the trap works or how you died until you play it several times and watch carefully, bearing in mind you see right away that it's a trap you should skip.
    -lockpicking has no feedback for what happens if you mess up, and you have to press the button about three times for each lockpicking move to register
    -garrett's character starts the game off by being a huge **** and getting his love interest killed, then makes sarcastic comments about her skill as a thief afterwards. this is not meant to be edgy or show his character, it's just bad writing among lots of other bad writing.
    -you steal boring collectible items to sit on them and browse through them at your den. (like we are supposed to care about browsing jewelry and would prefer not to just have $$$ for them)
    -NPC dialogue, while changing each time you die, is still too repetitive per turn (expect to hear several people humming the same tune while in the same small building), while garret's dialogue is surprisingly accommodating for several playstyles.
    - good luck finding paths that lead to different sections of the map. most of the time there'll just be a random 4''X4'' piece of wood you have to locate without direction or clues and then hold the x button on it. WTF, eidos?
    - you can't loot guards you've knocked out (seriously?)
    - there are several playstyles, apparently, but none are explained. you are just told their names on the pause screen. no manual is included with game.
    - when picking up a document such as a letter or newspaper, often with valuable clues, you have to manually pause the game and find it in your clunky inventory, rather than it just showing up onscreen for you to scan over.
    -you'll want to replay each mission, not because it was fun and you can see alternate strategies you could have taken, but because you'll be graded poorly or be told you missed items, and you'll then go online and see in the walkthrough that you did everything the wrong way and missed entire maps because the game has no direction.
    -you can't do anything to security cameras. just avoid them. super lame!
    - the game lacks fantasy elements of thief 1 and 2, just feels like the developers played **** part 3 only
    -you'll be punished (game over) for knocking any civilians out (in classic thief mode)
    -enemy alert levels above their heads are confusing, ugly, and too small.
    -enemy AI is a psychotic mess. you never know what you're going to get thanks to **** hit detection, buggy controls, and weird, unpredictable ranges of sight. nothing like setting up a plan only to have an enemy turn around and spring on you because your hand touched his ass instead of knocking him out like garrett was supposed to, but couldn't because the icon was taken away for a millisecond

need i go on? I'm going to do the right thing and sell this game AND dishonored and pick up the dishonored GOTY edition to play the DLC content. it'll be worth a lot more to me than this half-baked game.
  15. Apr 2, 2014
    oh God...i **** HATE THIS **** ''Game'' its a **** piece of **** it had some good mechanics but its a totally **** this..dont buy it..................
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    The game play is amazing, the story line is very eye catching with the different situations it puts you in, but the only thing i don't like is the weapons, although i am just now learning about the alien creature things on the island, but come on, no maces, daggers, or swords of your own? arrows, bombs, and a blunt object can only do so much, yes you can upgrade your equipment and weapons, but make more weapons though. And to be honest, I'm a bit creapped out scared of going into that building knowing that someTHING is in there probably waiting for me. But overall i thing its worth the 60$. Expand
  17. May 21, 2014
    this game had potential, i liked the gameplay and graphics and was interested in the story.. but since for some reason i encountered a glitch where i cant go past the first mission, is severely disappointing. i'm a offline gamer so i cant patch this up. tried everything, keeps on putting me back to the start. POOR performance Edios Montreal, i really liked Deus Ex HR, hence my name. worst glitch i've ever countered. Expand
  18. Jun 2, 2014
    Ow. This game made me re think my devotion to the thief series. Complete disappointment. The acting is stale, the cutscenes are so dry and non exciting that it just makes the game a snooze. in fact, during a loading screen i fell asleep as to how boring the game felt. Lets dive more into this

Combat- If you like to run in guns blazing, honestly... not a big problem here. There were
    times where i was made and had to fight my way out. After the brawl i walked away unharmed. Really makes it easy to not even use the stealth mechanic in a THIEF GAME.

Stealth- the only good thing in this game. Enough said.

Story- yawn. I couldnt even immerse myself if i tried, and i did. But it didnt work.

Short review yes but i got my point across.
    If you really want it, wait for a price drop.

Final verdict- 3 out of 10
  19. Aug 14, 2014
    This game tries desperately to replicate the awesomeness of the originals, but fails. The game has excellent stealth mechanics, that much can be said. In fact, they're some of the best stealth mechanics ever. However, the game is an absolute failure at everything else. The graphics, the voice acting, the story, and when you're detected, you just end up mashing buttons. So once again, this is a POOR excuse for a reboot. Expand
  20. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After anticipating being disappointed with Thief I found the gameplay to be what it should be. From the beginning I definitely felt as though this were part of the Thief franchise. The story is admittedly thin but that did not detract from the gameplay which harkens back to the first three games. The worst aspect of the game was definitely loading going through portals between sections of the map and the lack of access to the complete map through the map system. Also the heads up map would disappear upon reload manually. The light gem was a little clunky compared to previous games but much of the functionality of the previous games was evident here. Although I do miss being able to recover arrows such as rope arrows and broadhead arrows as was possible with previous games causing more player expense and at times causing the player to run out of certain resources which previously had been recoverable. It would have also been nice to have moss arrows to combat the broken glass sections of floor to further quiet Garrett's movements. The upgrade for lock picking actually took away from the fun and suspense of lock picking and was generally clunky and it's application compared with previous titles despite looking cooler than the standard mode. The two boss battles were also anticlimactic and easy to figure out and overcome quickly. Also the new actor sounded more like Guido from Long Island rather than Garrett master Thief. After being very disappointed with Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag I can honestly say that there is more Thief in the new Thief than there is Assassin's Creed in the most recent Assassin's Creed game. In the end I give the gameplay a B+ I give the story a C- I give the overall experience 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. If you like the first three games you will enjoy the reboot and look forward to more titles hopefully with better stories and perhaps a better engine for a better open world experience. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2014
    i am enjoying this game. Never played the original. Deux Ex from Eidos is a better game. The AI is not that great at times. I have not noticed any bugs and the game plays quite nicely. The pace is varied, missons are varied. The graphics are passible but certainly add to the atmosphere of the game. This game may not be to everyones taste, those in for blast and killing stay away. it is a good stealth game. the stealth is flawed but on hardest level is a good challenge and ultimately games should be challenging. it should score between 7 and 7.5. It deserves goid sales just that it offers something different. At reduced price this would be an absolute bargin. I recommend to buy this game. Expand
  22. Feb 28, 2014
    What Thief does right makes it worth playing... but missed opportunities and small bugs hurt the overall gaming experience.

The Good: The stealth and thievery gameplay is spot on! Lots of missions and side missions to do. The side missions is where Thief really shines, as they best embody the classic Thief playing experience. The City is dark and foreboding with many nooks and crannies
    to explore and loot.

The not so good: The City hub has dozens of transitions that connect one part of the City to another while other transitions lead into interiors making for one confusing jumbled mess that is very difficult to navigate. The story is not the lest bit compelling and is utterly forgettable. The obligatory horror themed level was a departure from Thief's greatest strength... breaking into a home, taking out or avoiding the guards, and cleaning the place out! One level has you running through an inferno while everything collapses around you... again stepping away from what makes Thief great... B&E, knocking out guard, cleaning out the place!

The Bad: The audio engineers did a poor job. Disembodied dialog... overlapping dialog... repeating dialog... uneven dialog volume that can make it a chore to hear what is being said.

My Verdict: Thief is a good game but held back by some serious level design and audio issues... and that's the problem... Thief should have been a great game but the developers dropped the ball. I expected better from the developer that made the reboot of Deus Ex. But as a fan of the series I was able to overlook the flaws and have some good fun and a few truly epic moments!
  23. Apr 7, 2014
    Not as I'd hoped for at all. While some of the stealth system may be good, it had a bad story, horrible voice acting, and out of sync or choppy cutscenes.
  24. Mar 8, 2014
    THIEF , a new thief game has been on fans minds for too long , now we have a new thief "reboot" that is multi-platform sounds good right? does it live up to the hype? , this game is a mixed bag , there is soo many things they got right but they sent out the finished product in a loosely tied bow , there is a lot of nastalgia to be found in this game with alot of the gameplay feeling a lot like the previous thiefs , the atmosphere is great , the gameplay is reletivly solid , and you can definitely see the effort they tried to put in , now if you play the game on xbox 360 like i did , you'll see right off the bat that this was intended for next gen consoles , because the ported last gen versions of this game , look nothing short of bad , there are some high points , but for the most part its generally mediocre to look at , but that not really a huge problem with me , the sound track for this game seems kindof out of place , for the most part its pretty standard , but in action sequences there are flares of electronic music , which is kind of out of place in a med evil steam punk game , my opinion , all aside this game is really fun and very addictive , with many brantching paths , the main story plays for about 8-10 hours , with all side quests thrown in the game can take anywhere from 15-20 hours if you take your time to play , so its a decently lengthed game , but despite how addictive this game is , the story falls flat on its face , its mediocre at the very best , and very unsatisfying , it leaves you feeling like you couldn't really connect to the characters , and it leaves you feeling the same you you would after beating a COD champain " oh well that was ..... yup thats the game"
    it just doesnt really have a big impact , this game is good , sometimes great even but it is NOT worth the 60 dollar price tag , its worth at the most a 30 dollar tag , but all in all , this game is very difficult to review seeing as there are many highs and lows
  25. May 7, 2014
    I've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me to play his copy).
    While it sounds ridiculous, but in Thief 2014, you *don't* even need to steal, at all... The game will anyway reward you at the end of each mission, so why bother? Nice, isn't it?
    The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok,
    now forget them! Since Thief 2014 is a reboot, you will encounter *nothing* from the old ones. I mean Eidos Montreal has *totally* destroyed and erased everything that made Thief series so unique: Keepers, Pagans, Hammerites, Mechanists, Kurshoks, burricks, and hell - even zombies! Everything!
    The plot. Definitely the worst I ever met in video games. Just abominable! You still have some doubts? Ok then. Just try to watch the *bossfight* with Thief Taker General on YouTube and see for yourself. Yeah, *bossfights* in a *stealth* game.
    The audio. It's just disgusting. All NPCs have just two phrases, and several NPCs have even just *one* phrase. And you know what? These NPCs will repeat their "repertoire" till the kingdom come, with just *one* second interval. Sound propagation works so erroneously, so it was a real pain for me to understand where the sound came from.
    The protagonist. His new voice, by Romano Orzari, sounds so dull and boring! Instead, the old Garrett's voice, by Stephen Russell, was just brilliant! So if you still love Stephen Russell's voice as Garrett in Thief 1&2&3, you will absolutely be disappointed by Romano Orzari's voice in Thief 2014.

Bottom line: it's a tasteless hack, so make yourself a favour and save your money for something really useful.
  26. Mar 6, 2014
    Awesome in every way. Mixing stuff form all 3 previous games. The mechanics are awesome and the medieval chaotic city with its complex twists and turns might be annoying but its quite realistic for the setting. The story itself is not as bad as they make it out to be, in parts amusing and funny in parts emotional, the thief taker general character for instance is a real blast, nicely acted. Garrets actor sound a lot like Russell so no problem there either. Nice addition to the thief legacy. worth the 10 year wait, just hope we might get a sequel to the reboot sooner this time. Expand
  27. Mar 9, 2014
    Thief is a very fun game, especially to those who enjoyed the previous versions. Very detailed graphics, it plays very smoothly, especially considering it's a stealth game (they don't usually play very smoothly), along with all the controls and interactions. One detail about it that most people love about it is it stays true to the original Thief games. I rated it an 8. I look forward to future games created by Square Enix. Expand
  28. Mar 31, 2014
    I don't really know what to think of this game. The stealth is great, and so are the graphics, and well..., that's about it. I am admittedly not done, but I don't even want to carry on. It feels slow, the parkour is lame, and what, the character feels CONFLICTED about killing?! That sounds weird... oops. But seriously. I stop to check every little corner for loot, and am not rewarded. There are parts where the stealth is just simply easy, and other parts where it feels impossible. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Feb 27, 2014
    If you’ve enjoyed past Thief games, you’ll enjoy the reboot as well. Those new to the franchise, or iffy about stealth, would be better-served renting it to give it a shot.
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Thief is a lazy slug of a game that drags itself across the planes of mediocrity and it could’ve been so much more. Quite simply, it’s brought to us by a developer that should know better.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Ignoring the story and cherrypicking the best side missions is the best way to approach it.