Thief Xbox 360

5.3

1. Aug 14, 2014
    This game tries desperately to replicate the awesomeness of the originals, but fails. The game has excellent stealth mechanics, that much can be said. In fact, they're some of the best stealth mechanics ever. However, the game is an absolute failure at everything else. The graphics, the voice acting, the story, and when you're detected, you just end up mashing buttons. So once again, thisThis game tries desperately to replicate the awesomeness of the originals, but fails. The game has excellent stealth mechanics, that much can be said. In fact, they're some of the best stealth mechanics ever. However, the game is an absolute failure at everything else. The graphics, the voice acting, the story, and when you're detected, you just end up mashing buttons. So once again, this is a POOR excuse for a reboot. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2015
    Thief is the perfect example of video game mediocrity. The atmosphere feels dark, boring and linear. The game itself is not one of the worst but one of the most boring. The stealth mechanics and gameplay are enough to satisfy but can get clunky. This isn't the stealth game I would recommend, play the Assassin's creed and Metal Gear Solid series, but not this pile of mediocrity and boredom.
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett cons:graphics engine old,story is weak all about ERIN,where is the story related thieving?,monsters? really? it was irritating pile of ****. old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief
    now i going to be straight and simple

pros:optimized graphics!,ending,music,sounds,gameplay,garett

old-gen version have too much downgrade! there is much unreal engine 3 games out there have better grapchics on xbox360 and ps3 than thief (old-gen version)
  4. Apr 2, 2014
    oh God...i **** HATE THIS **** ''Game'' its a **** piece of **** it had some good mechanics but its a totally **** this..dont buy it..................
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    I wanted to like this game but after seeing the reviews I wasn't sure. I decided to pick it up from redbox and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. Now I won't say it's a bad game just a clunky mediocre one at best. It is a straight up stealth game so if you try to play like a cold blooded killer you will die or get caught up in the worst first person combat I've seen from a high budget game. II wanted to like this game but after seeing the reviews I wasn't sure. I decided to pick it up from redbox and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. Now I won't say it's a bad game just a clunky mediocre one at best. It is a straight up stealth game so if you try to play like a cold blooded killer you will die or get caught up in the worst first person combat I've seen from a high budget game. I couldn't finish it as I was just bored with the game. It didn't do anything new or exciting that some stealth games do. It definitely wasn't my kind of game and its sad because I do love stealth games like splinter cell and metal gear but those two games let you have a choice to play stealth while this game encourages it. The stealth in thief is actually pretty good as you have to hide in the shadows from enemies and wait. The game falls apart when you have to fight a guard one or two on one as the combat is terribly clunky and boring. It's a shame too because I wanted to like this and believe it was good but I was left with a mediocre game from a great development company (they made deus ex human revolution after all) this thief should learn to bring better weapons and and sad to say but this game deserves to stay in the shadows. Expand
  6. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. imagine dishonored, then cut its development time by six months. imagine all the hard work and polish that went into making sure that game didn't just fly off a cliff in a flaming mess just never happened. you have the thief. yep, it's pretty terrible. here's why:

-the game is a directionless mess, especially in classic mode. expect to spend a long time wandering in circles, spotting helpful strategies for entry on the way out, breezing through sections the game wants you to feel are tough, and tearing your hair out at over most mundane, simple things.
    -the game is joyless, kills its own mood and atmosphere constantly
    -menus are ugly, clunky
    -nearly all type is way too small to read
    -borrows heavily from dishonored yet expects you to forget the quality of that game
    -everyone has really weird french canadian accents, it sounds like their faces are melting when they talk. the voice acting in general is pretty awful, and the script and truly ugly character design doesn't do it any favors.
    -the controls are unresponsive. you'll see a prompt onscreen letting you know you can interact with an object by pressing a button, and then 70% of the time it will do nothing unless you press that button really fast three times.
    -garrett's grab and looting animations take a fraction of a second to center the screen and load every time you grab or loot something. this makes for a real distraction considering you do this every 5 seconds
    -voices are heard (frequently) through walls, from above floors and below floors, as if they were right in your ear, leaving you scratching your head wondering what is happening.
    -garrett talks over other people, and other NPCs will talk much louder than the NPC they are speaking to (one guy will be yelling while the other will be whispering, unintentionally)
    -easily avoidable, obvious traps will activate, you'll die instantly, but you won't see how the trap works or how you died until you play it several times and watch carefully, bearing in mind you see right away that it's a trap you should skip.
    -lockpicking has no feedback for what happens if you mess up, and you have to press the button about three times for each lockpicking move to register
    -garrett's character starts the game off by being a huge **** and getting his love interest killed, then makes sarcastic comments about her skill as a thief afterwards. this is not meant to be edgy or show his character, it's just bad writing among lots of other bad writing.
    -you steal boring collectible items to sit on them and browse through them at your den. (like we are supposed to care about browsing jewelry and would prefer not to just have $$$ for them)
    -NPC dialogue, while changing each time you die, is still too repetitive per turn (expect to hear several people humming the same tune while in the same small building), while garret's dialogue is surprisingly accommodating for several playstyles.
    - good luck finding paths that lead to different sections of the map. most of the time there'll just be a random 4''X4'' piece of wood you have to locate without direction or clues and then hold the x button on it. WTF, eidos?
    - you can't loot guards you've knocked out (seriously?)
    - there are several playstyles, apparently, but none are explained. you are just told their names on the pause screen. no manual is included with game.
    - when picking up a document such as a letter or newspaper, often with valuable clues, you have to manually pause the game and find it in your clunky inventory, rather than it just showing up onscreen for you to scan over.
    -you'll want to replay each mission, not because it was fun and you can see alternate strategies you could have taken, but because you'll be graded poorly or be told you missed items, and you'll then go online and see in the walkthrough that you did everything the wrong way and missed entire maps because the game has no direction.
    -you can't do anything to security cameras. just avoid them. super lame!
    - the game lacks fantasy elements of thief 1 and 2, just feels like the developers played **** part 3 only
    -you'll be punished (game over) for knocking any civilians out (in classic thief mode)
    -enemy alert levels above their heads are confusing, ugly, and too small.
    -enemy AI is a psychotic mess. you never know what you're going to get thanks to **** hit detection, buggy controls, and weird, unpredictable ranges of sight. nothing like setting up a plan only to have an enemy turn around and spring on you because your hand touched his ass instead of knocking him out like garrett was supposed to, but couldn't because the icon was taken away for a millisecond

need i go on? I'm going to do the right thing and sell this game AND dishonored and pick up the dishonored GOTY edition to play the DLC content. it'll be worth a lot more to me than this half-baked game.
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    For an stealth game is ok, the graphics are poor and don't have an good history, i love stealth games but i was expecting more from this game sincerily, about the bugs, there are a lot of 'em.
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After anticipating being disappointed with Thief I found the gameplay to be what it should be. From the beginning I definitely felt as though this were part of the Thief franchise. The story is admittedly thin but that did not detract from the gameplay which harkens back to the first three games. The worst aspect of the game was definitely loading going through portals between sections of the map and the lack of access to the complete map through the map system. Also the heads up map would disappear upon reload manually. The light gem was a little clunky compared to previous games but much of the functionality of the previous games was evident here. Although I do miss being able to recover arrows such as rope arrows and broadhead arrows as was possible with previous games causing more player expense and at times causing the player to run out of certain resources which previously had been recoverable. It would have also been nice to have moss arrows to combat the broken glass sections of floor to further quiet Garrett's movements. The upgrade for lock picking actually took away from the fun and suspense of lock picking and was generally clunky and it's application compared with previous titles despite looking cooler than the standard mode. The two boss battles were also anticlimactic and easy to figure out and overcome quickly. Also the new actor sounded more like Guido from Long Island rather than Garrett master Thief. After being very disappointed with Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag I can honestly say that there is more Thief in the new Thief than there is Assassin's Creed in the most recent Assassin's Creed game. In the end I give the gameplay a B+ I give the story a C- I give the overall experience 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. If you like the first three games you will enjoy the reboot and look forward to more titles hopefully with better stories and perhaps a better engine for a better open world experience. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2014
    i am enjoying this game. Never played the original. Deux Ex from Eidos is a better game. The AI is not that great at times. I have not noticed any bugs and the game plays quite nicely. The pace is varied, missons are varied. The graphics are passible but certainly add to the atmosphere of the game. This game may not be to everyones taste, those in for blast and killing stay away. it is ai am enjoying this game. Never played the original. Deux Ex from Eidos is a better game. The AI is not that great at times. I have not noticed any bugs and the game plays quite nicely. The pace is varied, missons are varied. The graphics are passible but certainly add to the atmosphere of the game. This game may not be to everyones taste, those in for blast and killing stay away. it is a good stealth game. the stealth is flawed but on hardest level is a good challenge and ultimately games should be challenging. it should score between 7 and 7.5. It deserves goid sales just that it offers something different. At reduced price this would be an absolute bargin. I recommend to buy this game. Expand
  10. Feb 28, 2014
    What Thief does right makes it worth playing... but missed opportunities and small bugs hurt the overall gaming experience.

The Good: The stealth and thievery gameplay is spot on! Lots of missions and side missions to do. The side missions is where Thief really shines, as they best embody the classic Thief playing experience. The City is dark and foreboding with many nooks and crannies to explore and loot.

The not so good: The City hub has dozens of transitions that connect one part of the City to another while other transitions lead into interiors making for one confusing jumbled mess that is very difficult to navigate. The story is not the lest bit compelling and is utterly forgettable. The obligatory horror themed level was a departure from Thief's greatest strength... breaking into a home, taking out or avoiding the guards, and cleaning the place out! One level has you running through an inferno while everything collapses around you... again stepping away from what makes Thief great... B&E, knocking out guard, cleaning out the place!

The Bad: The audio engineers did a poor job. Disembodied dialog... overlapping dialog... repeating dialog... uneven dialog volume that can make it a chore to hear what is being said.

My Verdict: Thief is a good game but held back by some serious level design and audio issues... and that's the problem... Thief should have been a great game but the developers dropped the ball. I expected better from the developer that made the reboot of Deus Ex. But as a fan of the series I was able to overlook the flaws and have some good fun and a few truly epic moments!
  11. Nov 30, 2014
    Good game overall but there are several serious design flaws making it be the great game it could have been. Start with the fact that the emphasis is clearly on stealth yet the game goes out of its way to punish you for using the stealth route. Enemies are almost superhuman in their ability to detect you once they become alerted, most challenges and goals cannot be reached withoutGood game overall but there are several serious design flaws making it be the great game it could have been. Start with the fact that the emphasis is clearly on stealth yet the game goes out of its way to punish you for using the stealth route. Enemies are almost superhuman in their ability to detect you once they become alerted, most challenges and goals cannot be reached without retrying several times because of the seemly clear desire by the devs to force you into combat. There is even one place late in the game where you are basically forced into combat even though the entire game was about stealthy. Crappy design there.

Graphics glitches are common causing you to think there is loot when there isn't. The checkpoint system is crappy because you get 1 checkpoint and 1 manual save. Because the level designs prevent you from returning to some areas (without warning I might add) you'll end up repeating entire chapters or carefully checking off lists rather than actually playing the game.

Finally there is no way to track secret areas even though there are cheevos for it. Even the strategy guide doesn't provide any info. If there is a cheevo for something then there should be a way to track it. It seems like it was an afterthought.

I've seen worse reboots. It isn't as good as Deus Ex reboot but it isn't that bad either. Just tedious way too often and some poor design decisions.
  12. Apr 7, 2014
    Not as I'd hoped for at all. While some of the stealth system may be good, it had a bad story, horrible voice acting, and out of sync or choppy cutscenes.
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    THIEF , a new thief game has been on fans minds for too long , now we have a new thief "reboot" that is multi-platform sounds good right? does it live up to the hype? , this game is a mixed bag , there is soo many things they got right but they sent out the finished product in a loosely tied bow , there is a lot of nastalgia to be found in this game with alot of the gameplay feeling a lotTHIEF , a new thief game has been on fans minds for too long , now we have a new thief "reboot" that is multi-platform sounds good right? does it live up to the hype? , this game is a mixed bag , there is soo many things they got right but they sent out the finished product in a loosely tied bow , there is a lot of nastalgia to be found in this game with alot of the gameplay feeling a lot like the previous thiefs , the atmosphere is great , the gameplay is reletivly solid , and you can definitely see the effort they tried to put in , now if you play the game on xbox 360 like i did , you'll see right off the bat that this was intended for next gen consoles , because the ported last gen versions of this game , look nothing short of bad , there are some high points , but for the most part its generally mediocre to look at , but that not really a huge problem with me , the sound track for this game seems kindof out of place , for the most part its pretty standard , but in action sequences there are flares of electronic music , which is kind of out of place in a med evil steam punk game , my opinion , all aside this game is really fun and very addictive , with many brantching paths , the main story plays for about 8-10 hours , with all side quests thrown in the game can take anywhere from 15-20 hours if you take your time to play , so its a decently lengthed game , but despite how addictive this game is , the story falls flat on its face , its mediocre at the very best , and very unsatisfying , it leaves you feeling like you couldn't really connect to the characters , and it leaves you feeling the same you you would after beating a COD champain " oh well that was ..... yup thats the game"
    it just doesnt really have a big impact , this game is good , sometimes great even but it is NOT worth the 60 dollar price tag , its worth at the most a 30 dollar tag , but all in all , this game is very difficult to review seeing as there are many highs and lows
  14. Mar 31, 2014
    I don't really know what to think of this game. The stealth is great, and so are the graphics, and well..., that's about it. I am admittedly not done, but I don't even want to carry on. It feels slow, the parkour is lame, and what, the character feels CONFLICTED about killing?! That sounds weird... oops. But seriously. I stop to check every little corner for loot, and am not rewarded.I don't really know what to think of this game. The stealth is great, and so are the graphics, and well..., that's about it. I am admittedly not done, but I don't even want to carry on. It feels slow, the parkour is lame, and what, the character feels CONFLICTED about killing?! That sounds weird... oops. But seriously. I stop to check every little corner for loot, and am not rewarded. There are parts where the stealth is just simply easy, and other parts where it feels impossible. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Feb 27, 2014
    If you’ve enjoyed past Thief games, you’ll enjoy the reboot as well. Those new to the franchise, or iffy about stealth, would be better-served renting it to give it a shot.
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Thief is a lazy slug of a game that drags itself across the planes of mediocrity and it could’ve been so much more. Quite simply, it’s brought to us by a developer that should know better.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Ignoring the story and cherrypicking the best side missions is the best way to approach it.