8.5

1. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the best games of this generation of console. Top graphics, animation, artificial inteligence, story and production in general. It´s a perfect reboot for this franchise.
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing Graphics, Great Story, Great game play.....Except for the level with all the smoke/fog that was pain..I cant see them but apparently they can see me...haha
    Defiantly worth the money
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    I was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. TheI was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. The bad? The script is terrible, cheesy, cliche. REALLY cliche. They made Lara Croft out to be some fragile, terrified little dove caught in a dirty cage. Another issue: I feel like I'm watching a movie instead of playing a game. I enjoy a bit of cinematography, but not this much. When it does come to gameplay, it's a simple tapping of a couple buttons and BAM! Problem solved. The puzzles are totally unengaging. The action is pretty good, but way too easy. You master nearly every skill available, diminishing the replay value drastically. Overall it left me very disappointed. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    This is my first review so constructive criticism would be appreciated thanks. so with that out of the way I am loving this game. the story is that Lara and her crew shipwreck in the dragons triangle so they are looking for a way to escape. the cutscenes are amazing with one tiny little factor which sorta ruins them. quicktime events. I know in this day and age where quicktime events areThis is my first review so constructive criticism would be appreciated thanks. so with that out of the way I am loving this game. the story is that Lara and her crew shipwreck in the dragons triangle so they are looking for a way to escape. the cutscenes are amazing with one tiny little factor which sorta ruins them. quicktime events. I know in this day and age where quicktime events are everywhere this is expected but still. but other than that the cutscenes are great. Lara is given a personality and its a very believable personality. and gameplay is downright stupendous. there are four weapons to play with. you can run in to battle guns ablazing or be more precise with the bow. and there are amazing puzzles temples to explore each one is unique. and the graphics are beautiful. they wonderfully flesh out the surroundings and it is beautiful. i wish i could say the same for the music though but its just a bunch of generic songs that play for five seconds and i struggle to remember one. but overall this game is amazing. it is a must buy and while it does have a fewflaws they are extremely minor Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Este es si duda uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado. Me ha enganchado desde el principio. Nada más terminarlo he vuelto a empezar a jugarlo, y eso que tengo un montón de juegos pendientes. Es de los pocos juegos que puedo recomendar con los ojos cerrados a cualquiera. No se si será el GOTY del año 2013 porque todavía es pronto, pero de momento, para mí lo es, por encima del BioshockEste es si duda uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado. Me ha enganchado desde el principio. Nada más terminarlo he vuelto a empezar a jugarlo, y eso que tengo un montón de juegos pendientes. Es de los pocos juegos que puedo recomendar con los ojos cerrados a cualquiera. No se si será el GOTY del año 2013 porque todavía es pronto, pero de momento, para mí lo es, por encima del Bioshock Infinite. Para mi tiene mucho más mérito porque tradicionalmente los juegos con protagonista femenina son menos valorados, cosa que a mi me da mucha rabia. Hay juegos como este, donde la protagonista no tiene por que tirar de fuerza bruta, sino de habilidad y destreza. ¿Por que no una mujer entonces? Expand
  6. Apr 16, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed this game. The puzzles and the gameplay in general were good. I did find it samey in places, falling 1000 feet, sliding down, jump a few fences, hand glide across, done. Wasn't a big fan of the story of the characters either, but it does a nice job with Lara. Overall, I wasn't overwhelmed, because there are some nonsensical things in the story. But I enjoyed the game, 7/10.
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an amazing reboot of the franchise and I definitely enjoyed my experience playing this game. The game looks great from a graphical standpoint. Gameplay is solid. Lara Croft's character model is particularly detailed and I liked how she will react to the environment. For example, when you are near a wall or cliff side she will put her hand up against the object if you get tooTomb Raider is an amazing reboot of the franchise and I definitely enjoyed my experience playing this game. The game looks great from a graphical standpoint. Gameplay is solid. Lara Croft's character model is particularly detailed and I liked how she will react to the environment. For example, when you are near a wall or cliff side she will put her hand up against the object if you get too close or cover her face when you go near fire. It may be something that was overlooked by players but I thought it added to the player immersion. The story is fairly engaging, although the NPCs that Lara interacts with throughout the game are somewhat underdeveloped and lacking in any real depth that makes you care about them. Tomb Raider is also a very mature game, there are numerous parts in the game that truly highlight the intense struggle Lara Croft must go through to survive.

There are also numerous collectibles throughout the game that encourage you to explore the environment. Finding these collectibles also give you experience points and salvage which you can use to upgrade your skills and weapons. Upgrading skills allows Lara to climb walls faster, perform stronger melee kills and find more loot in throughout the world.

My only complaint, if I had to say something, would be the length of the game. I really would've liked to continue playing this game but I am hopeful that single player DLC may be released as I most certainly purchase it. Also, multiplayer is somewhat forgettable in comparison to other, more established, game franchise. I would've preferred the resources that were put into creating a multiplayer, be put into expanding the single player experience.
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    I am NOT a fan of reboots. But upon buying this, I played start to finish in one sitting. The storyline is great, and the gameplay feels sexy! This is how you do a reboot!
  9. Apr 15, 2013
    A survivor is born, that's the phrase of the game, and that's what you say when you finish the game. The Saga of Tomb Raider is back and stronger than ever.
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    The game Tomb Raider for the Xbox 360, will be a contender for game of the year. It is a complete reboot of the franchise, Lara Croft's character is more likeable and you actually feel for her situation. The game doesn't start off with her knowing everything, so as the game progresses so does she. By the end, she is the Lara we all know and Love!

I would recommend this game to everyone,

I would recommend this game to everyone, completely user friendly and totally worth it.
  11. Sep 15, 2013
    BLEH. This game is nothing but a Uncharted clone, all you do throughout the game is shoot people, yo know, that thing TOMB RAIDER HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT. Every Tomb Raider game before this one was all about the platforming challenges. Sure some games had more more combat than others, but in every other Tomb Raider game the platforming is the most important aspect. There is little to noBLEH. This game is nothing but a Uncharted clone, all you do throughout the game is shoot people, yo know, that thing TOMB RAIDER HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT. Every Tomb Raider game before this one was all about the platforming challenges. Sure some games had more more combat than others, but in every other Tomb Raider game the platforming is the most important aspect. There is little to no platforming in this game. Whenever there is it is incredibly bland and uninteresting. Also this game is filled to the brim with scripted events.Which may look cool the first time you play the game, but if you play through the game multiple times they get very annoying.

Graphically it looks pretty, But the character models to look rather jaggy and look like there was not as much effort put into them as the environments. Which look great. The soundtrack is nothing memorable. unlike previous titles which often had awesome soundtracks.
    The story is okay, but none of the characters, excluding Lara, have any character development and are really uninteresting.

This games biggest problem is it's length and difficulty, this game is pathetically short and pathetically easy, It took me a day to finish this game the first time I played it. Overall this game is... Decent, nothing special. Recommend it to fans of Uncharted,Tomb Raider fans, and casual gamers.
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    Wow, this game owned my life for about 2 weeks. It would have been more if I hadn't 100%'d it. Some of my all time favorite games are Resident Evil 4, Batman AA, and Uncharted 2 (though the top spots go to Fallout 3 and Half-Life 2). Tomb Raider is basically a mash up of those 3 games. You have the dark mysteries environment with crazy people (RE4), the metroidvania exploration of Batman,Wow, this game owned my life for about 2 weeks. It would have been more if I hadn't 100%'d it. Some of my all time favorite games are Resident Evil 4, Batman AA, and Uncharted 2 (though the top spots go to Fallout 3 and Half-Life 2). Tomb Raider is basically a mash up of those 3 games. You have the dark mysteries environment with crazy people (RE4), the metroidvania exploration of Batman, and a very healthy dose of Uncharted storytelling and high impact, but controllable moments. I actually LOVED the combat in this game, it is a little loose, but hits that sweet spot of controlled chaos. Constantly upgrading weapons and equipment and lots of collectibles only fueled my addiction. Easily one of my favorite games of this generation, a culminations of a lot of the best game design that has evolved in the last 5 years. Play it! Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2013
    is an awesome shooter with frenetic action, story worthy of indiana jones, charismatic characters, beautiful graphics and lots of fun, no doubt, and a q cocorrente strong for best game of the year.
  14. Apr 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played in years! Graphics are excellent. Many times I found myself stopping and just looking at the landscape. Game play is a blast. Aiming and shooting is very easy. Enemy AI is just right. My only complaint is that I wish the dlc was something other than mulitplayer.
  15. Apr 24, 2013
    I'm torn about this one. It's ticks all the right boxes, but I don't feel it's worth full price. You must play this game, but you should not pay full price., it just doesn't feel to me like it's earned that much money.
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    This game is so totally underrated that its almost a sin. I cant help but think that all the fuss about Bioshock Infinity stole attention from a lot of great games but mostly from Tomb Raider. Bioshock Infinity is a great game, no doubt. But its still just a shooter at its core and not that different from previous Bioshocks. Ok, Tomb Raider is not perfect either, but I think it deserves aThis game is so totally underrated that its almost a sin. I cant help but think that all the fuss about Bioshock Infinity stole attention from a lot of great games but mostly from Tomb Raider. Bioshock Infinity is a great game, no doubt. But its still just a shooter at its core and not that different from previous Bioshocks. Ok, Tomb Raider is not perfect either, but I think it deserves a lot more credit than it has been given. Sure, it has some same things going on as Uncharted did, but why is that so bad? Bioshock is doing basically the same thing in its own genre. Tomb Rider does thing the right way although it might not be so revolutionary.

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and it has a lot of great stuff going on. The characters are great, the visuals are stunning and the level design is incredibly detailed. The game is more mature and not just boobs with guns. Finding stuff ingame felt really good and rewarding for some reason. I never give a rats butt about finding collectibles or achievements in games and I didnt collect everything, but I had to make sure at least all the optional tombs ware raided and most relics found. The gameplay and controls are fluid and the action is awesome. Some annoying QTE-parts could have been dropped but it doesnt spoil it. Man I just hope Tomb Raider sells well. Just want the developers to get the credit they deserve for making this great game. I´m really looking forward whats coming next from them. Tomb Raider is not the greatest game ever, but its really good. Make sure to try TR if it interests you even just a little bit.
  17. Apr 26, 2013
    Na minha opinião, um dos melhores jogos de 2013 jogabilidade, enredo e otimos graficos uma das melhores experiencias que tive no meu xbox 360.
    O jogo um belo rebot da serie.
  18. Apr 28, 2013
    If you like uncharted you will love this game, I watched the e3 demo a couple of years ago and my wife got me the game for easter and I just completed it. There is def a replay value to it as will and I fully intend to go back and play it again once I get caught up on all my games. I will say that there is only a few games I go back and replay and tomb raider is that good
  19. May 1, 2013
    There is a lot to like in the latest incarnation of Tomb Raider. A more realistic take on the character, a deeper and more thoughtful story than past games, graphics that are among the best out there, and a lot of fun gameplay along the way. But despite all the good aspects, I felt I was never able to fully let rip and enjoy it in my own way.

Walk towards an enemy and Lara will

Walk towards an enemy and Lara will automatically crouch into cover. Walk into a dark cave and she'll light up a torch. Sometimes dramatic and tense in-game cut scenes merge directly in and out of gameplay and at points I wasn't actually sure if I was in control or not.

Exploring the semi-open world is encouraged to find all the hidden collectables and level up your character, but you can unlock upgrades which point out where the collectables are which gets rid of the need to actually explore anywhere. If you walk within 200 yards of one of the 'secret' tombs a pop-up will appear on screen saying "Secret Tomb Discovered" and it will show you where it is on the map (not to mention the literal huge arrows painted on to the scenery that point towards said secret tombs in most cases). To me that defeated the point of them being secret tombs, and took out the satisfaction of discovering them for myself.

All of this creates is a very linear experience where you aren't allowed to decide how to approach a situation. What if I wanted to run into a room full of bad guys guns blazing? Not allowed, because that's not how the game wants me to play it. This is made even more frustrating by the fact that so much of the game is actually a lot of fun, the story really is quite engaging and Lara's character is well defined. I just wish I could play it my way rather than having it hold my hand all the way through.
  20. May 2, 2013
    This game is GREAT! For you of those saying pick up CoD and then saying TR is "unrealistic," i would say that is fairly hypocritical. For one, CoD (with the commando pro perk) allows you to jump off buildings, no matter how HIGH AND LIVE! Still seem realistic,not to mention that your guy gets Swiss cheesed with bullets and DOESN'T DIE! And if this game still seems unrealistic, keep in mindThis game is GREAT! For you of those saying pick up CoD and then saying TR is "unrealistic," i would say that is fairly hypocritical. For one, CoD (with the commando pro perk) allows you to jump off buildings, no matter how HIGH AND LIVE! Still seem realistic,not to mention that your guy gets Swiss cheesed with bullets and DOESN'T DIE! And if this game still seems unrealistic, keep in mind you're playing a VIDEO GAME! Would you like to have CoD more realistic? Take away zombies, all perks (with the exception of the ones having to do with ammo and 'nades) take away health regain and there you have it, realistic CoD! Not to mention that your guy can sprint and jump over things like he is carrying nothing!
    I'm not hating on CoD, trust me! I love CoD! I just hate it when people underrate a great game because of it being "unrealistic" and then saying "go pick up CoD" or some other unrealistic game.

Also, i do agree with whoever said they like "Far Cry 3," that game is also a great game with AI that actually can challenge you!
  21. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lara Croft is one of the most famous and influential characters in gaming. Some would say the most famous. She's a cultural icon and a sex symbol. And the new game in the Tomb Raider franchise does her justice. A fresh start was what the series needed after 3 mediocre titles and 2 disastrous film adaptations. I can honestly say I wasn't the biggest fan of this franchise until I played this game, but because of this title Tomb Raider has gained a new fan.

Basically the new title in this influential series is a retelling of the universe, and this time Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics right rightly thought to start with the origin story. The plot follows 19 year old archeologist Lara Croft, who is on her first major Expedition on the ship S.S Endurance. During a storm the ship is wreck on an Uncharted island in the fictional "Dragons Triangle" in inhabited by vicious wild animals and a psychotic cult of pirates called "The Solarii".

It is a story driven semi-open world game. One of the main things about this game that makes it great is the fact that you can play it stealthily or as a more traditional Third Person shooter. Playing it stealthily is limited however as you don't get a silenced pistol until much later so you will be using the Bow and Arrow for the majority of the game. But I used to Bow and Arrow as my weapon of choice in the game in all playthroughs as it is the most usefully and accurate weapon in the game. You can't play the entire game stealthily, as there are occasional ambush sections where you will need to fend off waves of enemies at a time, which is one of the few negatives of the game.

Another negative is the fact that you can not choose when you wish to crouch or sneak. The game crouches and sneaks for you when you need it to and it does actually do this quite well, however I am sick of games that try to automatically do things for the player, as I wish to actually PLAY the game and control my character. I also wish this game had co-op because there is great potential for a co-op mode in this game, even if it was only a horde mode like style and I really hope they add a co-op in the next game.

Visually the game is great and the environment never seems to get bland or boring and there is always something happening in the world. The platforming in the game as been massively improved from previous titles and is similar to other Action Adventure games such as Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. There are plenty of weapons in the game however you can't gain a new weapon in the game after you have killed an enemy like most Third Person Shooters or Action Adventure games, and instead you must either unlock them be finding parts for each weapon in the game world or have them given to you be NPCs. I severely hope they fix this in the sequel as I hate games that do this.

Multiplayer is this games downfall, as it seems a bit tacked on and you can only seem to get any kills with the cross bow and only one of the 2 factions start with it in their load out. (The Solarii must unlock it) however Tomb Raider is not about multiplayer so I will not exactly hold it against the game. There are only 7 tombs in the whole game, which allot of traditional fans are upset about, however this is the origin story, and we can hope to see more tombs in it's sequel.

if you are a fan of the original games you should enjoy this game and I would highly recommend to people who wish to get into the series to start with this game. Out of the games I have played that have come out this year, this is by far the best. However, that being said I have not played Bioshock Infinite yet which looks like it would blow this out of the water.
  22. May 11, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome. The earlier titles of Tomb Raider were hard for me since I suck at jump puzzles. This game absolutely put those away. There were some inconsistencies with Lara being constantly hesitant of taking the shot at the big baddy and saving her friend. The truth is, in order to make the game longer the directors deliberately made this whole weird situation evenThis game is absolutely awesome. The earlier titles of Tomb Raider were hard for me since I suck at jump puzzles. This game absolutely put those away. There were some inconsistencies with Lara being constantly hesitant of taking the shot at the big baddy and saving her friend. The truth is, in order to make the game longer the directors deliberately made this whole weird situation even worse. However as a whole, this is definetly the best game I've played this year. Expand
  23. May 12, 2013
    To put it simply, this game is amazing. In the latest instalment of the tomb raider franchise, you play as a younger Lara Croft. Without revealing too much of the storyline, the crew of the Endurance become stranded on a Japanese island. From the minute you land on the island, you realise the sheer beauty that the developers of this game have pulled off. The Island is covered in lushTo put it simply, this game is amazing. In the latest instalment of the tomb raider franchise, you play as a younger Lara Croft. Without revealing too much of the storyline, the crew of the Endurance become stranded on a Japanese island. From the minute you land on the island, you realise the sheer beauty that the developers of this game have pulled off. The Island is covered in lush forest and mountains tower over you. In the first five minutes you experience some of the great quick-time event sequences that are scattered throughout the game.

The combat in the game is genuinely fun. The gunplay isn’t anywhere as good as say, Call of Duty but it is still enjoyable and it works. The greatest enjoyment you will get in the way of combat is the bow. It is insanely rewarding to use and there is nothing more satisfying than nailing a headshot on an enemy. You also have the option to go hunting. The bow, again, is the best choice for hunting, which is also a great addition to the game. You can hunt wolf, deer, boar, rabbit and many more animals, all giving you an XP reward once looted.

There is also the option to go exploring around each of the locations. Collecting salvage, relics, documents and GPS caches is a great addition. If you ever want a break from the constant, fast paced action you can use your survival instincts to hunt down these items. As well as the extra relics, documents etc. there are optional tombs. Optional tombs are hidden tombs that involve puzzle solving to get through and reach the treasure. The treasure highlights all the relics, GPS caches and documents in the specific area on your map and gives you a large XP reward.

XP plays a big part in the game. Once you level up, a skill point is unlocked, which can be spent at a base camp. The skills are all useful and I never found one was wasted on something I didn’t need. Collecting salvage can be used to upgrade weapons. Anything with fire seemed to be extra useful, for example this could be used to shoot explosive barrels, taking out a group of enemies in a matter of seconds. At the base camps, you have the option to travel to previous areas, which is helpful when you are trying to collect everything.

Tomb Raider also has a multiplayer but it is nowhere near as good as the single player. There are four game modes, team death match, free for all, Cry for Help which is a domination like mode and rescue which involves you stealing health packs from dead enemies. Cry for help is fun to start with but, like the rest, gets boring after playing a few hours. In the few hours of multiplayer I played, I encountered lag, bugs and lots of overpowered bows. It was fun but it felt like an unnecessary addition to an almost flawless game.

Overall this game is excellent. I had to search hard for things that had gone wrong with this game. If only the developers had removed the multiplayer and instead, spent the time extending and perfecting the single player this game would have been exceptional.
  24. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty,This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  25. May 16, 2013
    This is a great game. I've previously played a lot of tomb raiders and this is by far the best. Great graphics and cinematic game play keep you clenched to your seat. You never know what to expect with each cut scene! Movement has greatly been improved. Customizable weapons are at you disposal, so you can progress faster in the game! Beautiful cinematic views and great area locations.This is a great game. I've previously played a lot of tomb raiders and this is by far the best. Great graphics and cinematic game play keep you clenched to your seat. You never know what to expect with each cut scene! Movement has greatly been improved. Customizable weapons are at you disposal, so you can progress faster in the game! Beautiful cinematic views and great area locations. Great physics along with great orchestrated music. Complete 100% of the game and review tons of game art. Definitely will make Game of the year list of 2013! If your looking for a game that pulls you in right from the beginning, then is game is for you! Expand
  26. May 17, 2013
    Pretty awesome if you want my opinion. I played the game for 11 hours straight. I rented it from a redbox so I definitely got my moneys worth. Anyway I have never been a big tomb raider fan but this game converted me. I was pleased.
  27. May 18, 2013
    I can't believe this is the new Lara i mean she hate tombs,The story is nothing to do with tombs.The old Lara and her persona was way better,story was better king arthur,mystic tombs,This game should be called the "Lost Island" or something similar.
  28. May 29, 2013
    I have never played any Tomb Raider game before. And I decided to give this game a go. And it was amazing. I love Lara's development from a timid, fragile girl becoming a bad ass killer, merciless, survivor. The story was great, well-written, maybe a little bit cheesy sometimes. However, her friends' character development are weak. I love the gameplay a lot. It is an amazing game, andI have never played any Tomb Raider game before. And I decided to give this game a go. And it was amazing. I love Lara's development from a timid, fragile girl becoming a bad ass killer, merciless, survivor. The story was great, well-written, maybe a little bit cheesy sometimes. However, her friends' character development are weak. I love the gameplay a lot. It is an amazing game, and probably one of the best games of 2013 Expand
  29. May 29, 2013
    Tomb raider is a great game. Easily the best game of 2013 so far with bio shock coming at close 2nd. Tomb raider tells an incredible prequel story. It is is exciting, fun, sad and unexpected and a must play through for anyone who enjoys adventure games. I'm someone who is not a big fan of uncharted and I have never been a big fan of tom raider until now. It is a beautifully made game aTomb raider is a great game. Easily the best game of 2013 so far with bio shock coming at close 2nd. Tomb raider tells an incredible prequel story. It is is exciting, fun, sad and unexpected and a must play through for anyone who enjoys adventure games. I'm someone who is not a big fan of uncharted and I have never been a big fan of tom raider until now. It is a beautifully made game a lot of care and love has went into the graphics, they have changed the way Lara looks without completely reinventing her. The game a,so manages to create a very emotional story with many characters who join Lara on this journey some are likeable but some are not well fleshed out but it doesn't effect the emotion er and power in this story.gameplay is fun and easy to learn even after climbing and jumping for six hours you will still be scared while climbing but in an exciting way. Combat has been nailed in this game it follows your standard 3rd person shooting mechanic there is not a lot of fighting in this game however if there is one thing I didn't like was I found some fighting moments to be frustrating and unfair but who really cares about that. Tomb raider is an incredible game and a great competitor with uncharted and if this is how tomb raider is going to be made from now on they have a new fan. Expand
  30. May 31, 2013
    I have been a fan since the original Tomb Raider on the Playstation One. This new installment really hit the mark. The story is great, the characters are very well developed. Lara Croft is back and better than ever. Tomb Raider needed a fresh new look and Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics really outdid themselves this time.
  31. Jun 1, 2013
    this game is great!, we finally get to see how lara becomes the adventurer she is today, the story is engaging, combat is excellent, platforms are also great, puzzles are good not too hard but not too easy, i really liked this game! awesome characters, great accion, voice acting is great too, if you have not bought this game yet i recommend that you should
  32. Dec 5, 2013
    Game was just plain excellent, Firstly to talk about the little things, your free running skills have been polished wonderfully and respond pretty much exactly as you intended the majority of the time, salvaging and upgrading weapons and skills is easy and fun but engaging enough for you to want to do it. Collectibles are manageable and don't just feel like a time waste to be completedGame was just plain excellent, Firstly to talk about the little things, your free running skills have been polished wonderfully and respond pretty much exactly as you intended the majority of the time, salvaging and upgrading weapons and skills is easy and fun but engaging enough for you to want to do it. Collectibles are manageable and don't just feel like a time waste to be completed after the game is over and the enemies attack with real intent and different strategies. The shooter and combat are well honed and the finishers and deaths are brutal but engaging all the while driven by an intense and riveting storyline made immersive through heart pumping quicktime events. I loved every moment of this game. (did not touch the multiplayer cannot comment) Expand
  33. Dec 31, 2013
    The leading female and one of the most recognisable video game characters is back! That's right Lara Croft! and man is she more bad ass then ever. After the series was heading for a land slide I'm glad crystal dynamics has pick it back up into its true glory. A total redesign of Lara's character structure and personality has influences a positive attitude towards gamers and made the gameThe leading female and one of the most recognisable video game characters is back! That's right Lara Croft! and man is she more bad ass then ever. After the series was heading for a land slide I'm glad crystal dynamics has pick it back up into its true glory. A total redesign of Lara's character structure and personality has influences a positive attitude towards gamers and made the game more believable and realistic. Tomb Raider is a true adventure filled with fun combat and graphical environments that are worth $80 just to look at. Apart from the cheesy characters and story this is a near perfect reboot to the franchise that was well in need of one. When the credits begun to roll, you will feel like your money was well spent and be filled with excitement to see what comes next. Expand
  34. Jun 9, 2013
    Okay enough with the Uncharted comparisons critics, sheesh. Tomb Raider is one of the finest platformers to come out in some time and it definitely stands on it's own. You take control of a young Lara Croft who get's stranded along with her ship mates on a (supposedly) deserted island. There is a legend surrounding the history of the island, and let's just say that the story throughout theOkay enough with the Uncharted comparisons critics, sheesh. Tomb Raider is one of the finest platformers to come out in some time and it definitely stands on it's own. You take control of a young Lara Croft who get's stranded along with her ship mates on a (supposedly) deserted island. There is a legend surrounding the history of the island, and let's just say that the story throughout the game is very solid and keeps you guessing. When Lara starts out, she seems a little frail and apprehensive. However once you navigate a few caverns, collect some loot and hone your hunting skills, Lara quickly turns into the fierce killing tigress that she was always meant to be. Collecting and then upgrading weapons is fun and eventually you'll feel like a genuine bad-azz, dispatching the local thugs with ease and. Speaking of the thugs, they can seem slightly repetitive after a while, but I'm just glad Crystal Dynamics stretched the campaign out as long as they did. In a day and age where COD games routinely release with puny 4 hour campaigns, Tomb Raider is fairly lengthy.
    The console versions have great graphics, but the PC version with Tress FX enabled is truly a sight to behold. When this game ends you will be sad. It really sucks to see the ending to one of the best platformers in the genre, and Lara's tight little body will burn a place in your memory until the next Tombs need a Raidin'..
    P.S.
    Sorry if the last sentence in my review seems slightly pervy or whatever, it's my first review.
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    I have never played a tomb raider game. So i took a risk in buying this was it the right choice... YES YES YES!!! GAME PLAY is Really fun the weapon choice's are great. your first weapon is a bow then a pistol witch you can upgrade by getting scrap metal there are two other weapons to unlock but i will let you find those. Lara croft looks amazing even of console! BUT the multyplayer lacksI have never played a tomb raider game. So i took a risk in buying this was it the right choice... YES YES YES!!! GAME PLAY is Really fun the weapon choice's are great. your first weapon is a bow then a pistol witch you can upgrade by getting scrap metal there are two other weapons to unlock but i will let you find those. Lara croft looks amazing even of console! BUT the multyplayer lacks a lot. thank you Expand
  36. Jun 20, 2013
    Excellent game and graphically brilliant.
    Excellent game and graphically brilliant.
    The story is good and you get quite attached to the new Lara and her struggle to survive. There's plenty of exploring and searching for collectibles and if done this way, you'll probably rack up 18 hours before you know it. I would like to have been able to start a new game with all the weapons I collected on completetion but no such luck, you can continue your original game to carry on finding items to get you 100% completion. Really enjoyed it.
  37. Jun 23, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a really cool game where you play as an awesome and badass woman and she gets to kill all men on an island.

Great game. Ten out of Ten.
  38. Jun 30, 2013
    Wow.... So I just finished the game after putting off buying it for awhile as lets be honest some of the past few tomb raider games have been terrible. Well the bad streak is officially over. Tomb Raider is an extremely emotional adventure in how Lara Croft became who she is today. You can see her grow into her role throughout the game as she becomes more BA. The story itself isWow.... So I just finished the game after putting off buying it for awhile as lets be honest some of the past few tomb raider games have been terrible. Well the bad streak is officially over. Tomb Raider is an extremely emotional adventure in how Lara Croft became who she is today. You can see her grow into her role throughout the game as she becomes more BA. The story itself is interesting however honestly the main plot will be easy to figure out in the first few hours of game play. However the game does an amazing job of just giving you enough information and making you want to find every little detail.

One of my favorite things is when you collect the relics you can inspect them further and about 1/3 of the items have additional info attached to them. Also you upgrade your weapons as the game progresses making spending the time to explore well rewarded. I haven't played a collect-em 90s style adventure game made this well in awhile.

So far, this is my 2013 game of the year over bioshock the last of us.
  39. Jul 17, 2013
    Lol. Check it out. There are 58 people who don't like amazing games. Weird... Anyway. Awesome game through and through. Like playing a movie! Will play through again.
  40. Jul 4, 2013
    Portato a termine anche il nuovissimo Tomb Raider l'ora di Dead Space 3 e DmC Devil May Cry, sempre su XBOX 360. La nuova avventura di Lara Croft senza dubbio un lavoro encomiabile da parte di Crystal Dynamics anche se ho notato che diverse piccole cose sono state riprese da Far Cry 3. Resta tuttavia un'ottimo gioco nel suo genere, capace di tenere coinvolto il giocatore nell'evolversiPortato a termine anche il nuovissimo Tomb Raider l'ora di Dead Space 3 e DmC Devil May Cry, sempre su XBOX 360. La nuova avventura di Lara Croft senza dubbio un lavoro encomiabile da parte di Crystal Dynamics anche se ho notato che diverse piccole cose sono state riprese da Far Cry 3. Resta tuttavia un'ottimo gioco nel suo genere, capace di tenere coinvolto il giocatore nell'evolversi delle vicende seppur il tutto si muova con una certa linearità con ottime sequenze "cinematografiche". Il gameplay confrontabile a quanto visto con Uncharted, sviluppato ulteriormente da una maggiore fluidità dei movimenti e possibilità molteplici di interazione con oggetti dell'ambiente. Lo consiglio vivamente a chiunque e mi riservo di elogiarlo come uno dei migliori videogiochi usciti nel 2013! Expand
  41. Jul 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider was my childhood game, and I have mixed emotions after compleating it. These are pluses and minuses of the game:
    Pluses:
    -New, rebooted Lara - Interesting story and well sripted storyline - Upgrade system -Voice Acting Minuses: - Unused potential of survival - There are about 5 riddles to solve - Even if it is badass Lara Croft, sometimes her strenght and endurance is
    Pluses:
    -New, rebooted Lara
    - Interesting story and well sripted storyline
    - Upgrade system
    -Voice Acting
    Minuses:
    - Unused potential of survival
    - There are about 5 riddles to solve
    - Even if it is badass Lara Croft, sometimes her strenght and endurance is too much unrealistic
    - Closed, small island and only 5 6 secret tombs
    - Exploring does not give satisfacion like in Legend, or Anniversary

All in all, new Tomb Raider is well game, but it's not that exciting as previous from the series.
  42. Jul 15, 2013
    The most fun I had in a game for a while the environments look stunning and beautiful game play is some of the best I've seen in a third person shooter it is a must have.
  43. Jun 9, 2014
    Very entertaining game. Great graphics, story, dialog and suspense. Checkpoints are generous. Menus are easy to navigate and on-the-fly fighting and crashing is well crafted. Easy to navigate to your next objective thanks to some in game tools. There is significantly more violence in this game and ranks up there with the bloodiest of them which might be a turn-off to some classic players.Very entertaining game. Great graphics, story, dialog and suspense. Checkpoints are generous. Menus are easy to navigate and on-the-fly fighting and crashing is well crafted. Easy to navigate to your next objective thanks to some in game tools. There is significantly more violence in this game and ranks up there with the bloodiest of them which might be a turn-off to some classic players. Laura takes a major beating in this one, but remains humble and focused, which elicits plenty of empathy and support. Lots of extras for those side quest hunters. Overall highly recommended. Expand
  44. Jul 23, 2013
    I'm annoyed I didn't buy this game earlier. Everything about this game is top class and once you complete it you will feel like you have been through so much. Highly recommend!
  45. Jul 27, 2013
    Tomb Raider has various things going for it. Good voice acting on the part of Lara, fast paced gameplay that keeps the action going, a pseudo-crafting system that also adds a gathering mechanic, tons of collectables, strong visuals, and dynamic map environments. The one thing that was incredibly disappointing was the story! It was alright up until the point where they throw in theirTomb Raider has various things going for it. Good voice acting on the part of Lara, fast paced gameplay that keeps the action going, a pseudo-crafting system that also adds a gathering mechanic, tons of collectables, strong visuals, and dynamic map environments. The one thing that was incredibly disappointing was the story! It was alright up until the point where they throw in their "twist", which is impossible to miss when you're playing the game. After that, I couldn't take the game seriously. The combat also gets very easy towards the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the game, when by then you should have everything mostly leveled/upgraded and all the skills that are actually useful unlocked. Hearing Lara's overemphasized groaning and screams the entire game also gets really old really fast. I felt no connection to anyone besides Lara, and even then it wasn't too strong. The game does collectables really well however; each of them has a small bit of dialogue containing actual information about the object that you've found. The platforming is exceptional. I never found myself getting frustrated trying to jump a certain way or find my way around the immense map. The semi-open world experience is also done well, allowing you to fast travel around to the different areas in case you missed one of the secret Tombs or a collectable. AI is good and provides a challenge at some points if you play the game on Hard difficulty. The game is of a decent length. I never got around to checking how long it took me to beat the game but I would assume it was around 12-16 hours or so. All in all, it's a solid game that takes a hit because of it's lackluster characters and, in my opinion, downright stupid story. Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    Mediocre mass-appealing third -person action

The relaunched Tomb Raider was a bit of a disappointment for myself, but or rather since- it struggles to appeal to a great many people. The game features are a jounger lara croft who shipwrecks on a misterious island with her band of support characters. While uncovering the secrets of the inhabitants and weird happenings on the island Ms.
    Mediocre mass-appealing third -person action

The game features are a jounger lara croft who shipwrecks on a misterious island with her band of support characters. While uncovering the secrets of the inhabitants and weird happenings on the island Ms. Croft explores, puzzles, collects and fights her way through a game, that promised a more story driven and emotionally engaging experience than what Tomb Raider stood for in the past.
    The major Flaw this game suffers from is inconsistency. While the cutscenes make you feel like you are in mortal danger and have to strive for the very survival, the gameplay doesn't convey that.
    Granted, if you interpret this as the process of a character growing from a scared bookwortm into a gun tooting killing machine, it kind of makes sense, but there is not enough connection between the gameplay and the presented cinematics to actually make that part of the experience. I did not really feel threatened when minutes after covering herself crying and freezing next to a campfire Lara mows down wave after wave of grunts with extraordinary efficiency and no remorse at all.

Scond point of inconsistency directly ties in to that: the lack of difficulty. Appearantly, Ms. Croft fears death a whole lot, as shown by her coughing and sobbing extensively. But as it turns out, she can recover from a shotgun blast to the face quite easily by hiding for a few moments. Unless her wounds were inflicted in a cutscene, wich requires serious ammounts of ignoring it. You don't need food beyond the first deer you hunt, ammunition is plenty and you get autosave-restarts at every slightly harder plattforming sequence. Being crafty and survival-y isn't really required. On top af a button that shows points of interest highlighted, The Game holds your hand extensively, showing the required buttons and actions at every possible moment. New skills are introduced at a relatively slow pace, but you get plenty of time applying them in the later game, so that's not neccesarily a bad thing. What bothered me though was that some puzzles are actually solved by Lara just telling you the solution with her inside voice. I really hated that, wich makes the puzzles not even stand out between the not so enyoyable batles.

Crafting is the third point of inconsistency that ultimately made me enyoy this reboot less than its predesessors. Whule craftin weapons and enhancing them with parts you find an the corresponding ammount of parts is quite fun and rewardung I find myself not really inclined tho further Laras skills. The Reason for tha lies in some questionally design choices. You kann kill each and every human enemy once he has fallen to his knees from thes start. Our Heroine just grabs a stone and smashes the skull of the poor sap. With experience, she learns do do the same thing with her axe or guns for a higher XP award. Again, if you want to interpret that as developement into a ruthless killing machine, it's a story that can be told, but why am I, as the player responsible for the protaginist axing a Person instead of just stone-bashing him or her(there are no female enemies anyways)?

Got the game because I was told there was actual exploring and classical "Tomb Raider-ing" aside of the story, but it turns out, the optional Tombs are rather small in scale and not that hard to master.

I wouldn't recoment the reboot, since the three entries the series had before it outshine it in ervery respect. Get Anniversary, its much better, or Legend and Underworld.
  47. Jul 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, the story wasn't always focused but delivered clear character development. It was a great reboot and origin story as well as a standalone game.
  48. Oct 11, 2013
    I don't know if I've ever been more pleasantly surprised by a game. This game needs to be in the discussion for game of the year. It plays a lot like the uncharted series which are some of my favorite games. The graphics are amazing, the controls are fluid, and the atmosphere of the game is incredible. The game really makes you feel Lara's pain throughout. I can't say enough about this game.
  49. Aug 5, 2013
    It was fun, beautiful, challenging, and had a timely ending. I could not have asked for a better revamp of the Laura Croft series. It was fairly linear, but usually story games are. I would rather have a linear story over side quests. The beginning is hella scary and got my heart racing. At the end you are feeling like a boss, but not too OP. Oh, and some of the death scenes were aIt was fun, beautiful, challenging, and had a timely ending. I could not have asked for a better revamp of the Laura Croft series. It was fairly linear, but usually story games are. I would rather have a linear story over side quests. The beginning is hella scary and got my heart racing. At the end you are feeling like a boss, but not too OP. Oh, and some of the death scenes were a laugh, but understandably laughable. You'll see. Of course you're going to buy this game. Unless, you know, you're a chauvinist. Expand
  50. Aug 9, 2013
    I have previously played Tomb Raider games on PC but I didn't have much interest. After 5 mins I would quit playing it, I saw something different about this game, I bought it right out the self. It was one of the best games I've played so far, everything about it was amazing. I wish i wasn't so short though
  51. Aug 13, 2013
    By all means this is a good and enjoyable game with a decent story length 10-12 hours) and an island you can spend many hours exploring, but there are a few noticeable clucks that can't just be ignored such as a poor story with cheesy and very predictable. But gameplay is fun and flows well, the cover system is fresh and easy to use. Action is fast paced and can become overwhelming atBy all means this is a good and enjoyable game with a decent story length 10-12 hours) and an island you can spend many hours exploring, but there are a few noticeable clucks that can't just be ignored such as a poor story with cheesy and very predictable. But gameplay is fun and flows well, the cover system is fresh and easy to use. Action is fast paced and can become overwhelming at points which makes the player really feel Lara is fighting for her life. The skill level up and weapon improvement system is a little unfinished and could do with improvement. With a few clunks and weak story this game falls short of being great but is very enjoyable, action packed, good set pieces with good graphics this game warrants a sequel and I for one look forward to it. Expand
  52. Aug 17, 2013
    WOW....... Did I say WOW.... God of War meets Uncharted meets Prince of Persia. Controls are great, story is half decent, graphics are awesome, pacing is perfect..... Online is kinda of beat but other than that this game is one you should definitely play.
  53. Nov 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a surprise.

It layers down attitude, gameplay and amazing world content. I wasent expecting this game to be so good. But the problem is mostly that is its too easy. Way too easy. I read a review before i bought it and also contained a whole lot of complains considering the difficulty and AI. And i can agree too 100%. Its like laughable at some point.
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a surprise.

But the problem is mostly that is its too easy. Way too easy.

Your still a "tank" even when your playing on the hardest difficulty. I finished the game almost with only the bow and fire arrows. I managed to only use weapons 10-20% of the game. Its like the plasma cutter from Dead Space.

Even tho its lacking AI and difficulty, it got some nice environment and fun gameplay.

I recommend this game, but only if you rent it or buy a used copy.
  54. Aug 29, 2013
    This was my very first foray into a Tomb Raider game, so aside from the Angelina Jolie-led films, I really had no idea what to expect.

Tomb Raider is a true reboot, starting from what seems to be Lara Croft's first expedition to find a historic landmark that is as legendary as the Bermuda Triangle. The story unfolds in such a way that you truly start connection with Lara along with her coworkers as you unfold the mystery alongside her. You find clues strewn about levels along with GPS markers and artifacts which increase XP and allow you to upgrade your abilities and weapons.

As someone who immensely enjoyed using a bow and arrow in Skyrim, I loved the bow action here in Tomb Raider, but I also found myself switching to the other weapons as well. The caves in TR require puzzle solving, but it's nothing too complex that will be too frustrating for the average gamer, yet is still challenging enough for the veteran gamer.

The graphics are beautiful, the sounds crisp, and the gameplay rewarding and enjoyable. There is nothing that isn't engaging, and few missteps here. A flawless game, this is definitely a shining gem of 2013.
  55. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is on another level. I played the original Tomb Raider trilogy back int he PS1 days and this is a much needed reboot. Great story, great gameplay, must have!
  56. Nov 20, 2013
    this is another game that had a terrible story but thanks to the great gameplay and exploration tomb raider can be a great game of this good year of the videogames.
  57. Nov 7, 2013
    What pisses me off the most about this game, is how fast everyone forgot about it. I'm amazed at this game's impact on the gaming community and its production value. This easily tops most games in 2013 and I'd go as far as saying its a contender for video game of the year, up there with Last of Us and GTA 5. I am not a big fan of linear adventure games, and I love the fact that it doesWhat pisses me off the most about this game, is how fast everyone forgot about it. I'm amazed at this game's impact on the gaming community and its production value. This easily tops most games in 2013 and I'd go as far as saying its a contender for video game of the year, up there with Last of Us and GTA 5. I am not a big fan of linear adventure games, and I love the fact that it does give some freedom with open world mechanics, but considering I'm not a Tomb Raider fan nor a big fan of the genre this has to be one of the best games I've played in 2013.

I'm more of a completely open world RPG choose your own dialog gamer, but preference aside I did find myself coming back to this game trying to collect all the juicy items. And this game has stayed true the title, its called Tomb Raider and that is exactly what you do. The story is very well written, even though I got VERY annoyed with the rescue missions and the lack of mission variety, I still had fun. How many times do people get captured? I lost count. And while others complain that Lara is too whiny and girly unlike the other games, I love the fact that she acts like a real human being and she gets stronger as the game progresses. She's not Master Chief or Dante, she can die... and that adds tension to the game. No more indestructible badass sex symbol, there is some realism behind this title.

And ohh man the graphics, I'm not one to demand great graphics in games... hell I don't even need them. Jedi Knights of the Old Republic and Fallout 3 had horrible graphics but they are my favorite games. Still I got admit I was awe struck at the level of artistry the graphics provide in this game. Hardest things to do in games Lip sync, hair, water and light/shadows all done beautifully. My only real issue is the multi-player, why waste resources on such an out of place game mode that no one was expecting? How about co-op tomb raiding with friends where you need to work together to solve puzzles and progress to harder tombs? Like a Portal 2 type co-op puzzles but with Tomb Raider mechanics instead of portal guns and throw some baddies in the tombs for us to shoot. Bam perfect! But... no we have a Tomb Raider Call of Duty mode instead... guess its better than nothing.

Still 9.5/10 for me the -.5 was for the CoD multiplayer had that not been there it would be my rare 10/10 I've only given to such games like The Walking Dead, The Last of Us, Fallout 3, JKOTOR 1 and The Witcher 2
  58. Jun 25, 2014
    Overall is an amazing game and maybe my second favorite Tomb Raider game, what I didn't like a lot about this game it's the stage changes, some feel the same and Tomb Raider games usually have many stage changes, because usually they take you to different parts of the world, even when this is in one island, it's pretty good.

The controls are great and fun, I enjoyed the gameplay a lot.

The controls are great and fun, I enjoyed the gameplay a lot. The story is good enough but maybe the final part feels rushed, there's no face to face fight with Himiko and Mathias' button fight is dumb and too easy, it needed something better with those two.

Visually is good, I like what they did to Lara's design and her character's emotions, she feels more vulnerable at first and you can feel how the character grows up while you continue playing. I recommend it a lot.
  59. Dec 31, 2013
    I expected just another Lara Croft rehash but was blown away by this. Loved it! And this is from someone who has played Tomb Raider games from the very beginning, on the original PlayStation.
  60. Dec 9, 2013
    Extra ordinary game very very good in graphics and a killer reboot
    Underworld and other tomb raider games are nothing front of it. Overall 10/10 from me
  61. Dec 21, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a strong reboot for the franchise. It has great gameplay and story. The multiplayer is not great, but that is by far not the reason to not buy this game.
  62. Dec 23, 2013
    As far as video game reboots go, this is certainly one of the more polished and well executed ones out there, although the direction the series has gone will most likely leave people more familiar with the Tomb Raider games of the 1990s a little disappointed. The direction the series has taken is one of a cover shooter/ action adventure, with tomb raiding being relegated to an optionalAs far as video game reboots go, this is certainly one of the more polished and well executed ones out there, although the direction the series has gone will most likely leave people more familiar with the Tomb Raider games of the 1990s a little disappointed. The direction the series has taken is one of a cover shooter/ action adventure, with tomb raiding being relegated to an optional secondary activity. The main focus is instead on survival, and ultimately trying to escape from the island which Lara and a ship full of sailors and archaeologists have been marooned on. While this new gameplay is entertaining, it does tend to miss out on the charm of older Tomb Raider titles. Puzzles are very few and far between, and almost non-existent outside of the optional tombs. Instead, the developers have opted for lots and lots of collectables.

The gameplay is enjoyable, the collectables and optional tombs give something other than the main plot to focus on, and the upgradeable weapons and xp make the game pleasantly addictive. There are quicktime events, but unlike certain previous games in the Tomb Raider franchise, they're relatively unobtrusive. There are however a few gripes. In an attempt to keep players interested once the plot was finished, the game is designed in a way that prevents players from fully upgrading their weapons without grinding, and prevents easily finding all of the collectables during the course of the story. Seemingly in an attempt to urge the player to continue the story and not bother looking around until later, lighting levels are kept low throughout the course of the campaign. As somebody who doesn't care to play a single player game once the story is over, attempting to find all of the collectables in the dark before finishing the story was incredibly frustrating. As far as the story goes, there are also a few issues with Lara's character development. Mostly, it becomes a bit difficult to take the absurd level of abuse hurled at Lara seriously after a while. It makes sense to show Lara enduring physical and emotional pain, this is a prequel, it's meant to show how Lara grew into who she was in the other Tomb Raider games. That said, there's a fine line between character building and throwing enough physical trauma at a character to kill them 20 times over, and this game has the latter.

Overall however, despite its flaws, it must be said that this is a well polished, and very fun game, and certainly one worth checking out. It's not perfect, but it's a fitting reboot to an old franchise, even if it does seem to be changing what the series is about.
  63. Nov 4, 2014
    We all know Tomb Raider. It's an action adventure game, where you play as an overy sexualized British lady, and you shoot bad guys, and solve puzzles, and find relics; however, it's always been a bit cartoony. This reboot of Tomb Raider is real, and it's nitty, and it's gritty.

But is that a bad thing? It depends on what you want. For me I thought it was a good game, but with too much deviation. Here are my cons and pros:

CONS 1. There were not enough puzzling elements to the game. There were some, but they often didn't make sense, or weren't particularly enthralling. The puzzle/logic aspect to this game has been watered down a great deal in favor of action and adventure. 2. Combat, while improved in comparison to the other Tomb Raider games, is still lacking. It's hard to maneuver and turn when a million guys are attacking. You have to constantly switch back and forth between perspectives, and the dodge move Lara does isn't very good. Why does she crawl like a dog? It often moves you in the wrong direction. However, the combat isn't all bad. The auto cover is an excellent feature. And I also don't think they should scrap the idea of a combined system, where you view Lara in 3rd and 1st person modes. It's just that they need to make Lara more robust and able to dodge attacks better. Semi-assisted aiming would be good too. 3. I hate how the game automatically autosaves when you exit the campfire. What if I don't want to save it and I just want to experiment with my upgrades? 4. Tiny text. Why is the text so tiny? It's hard to see, especially when you consider the colors they chose to display information. 5. Lara is very sluggish in comparison to her former self. She's not as acrobatic and it feels more realistic...yeah, but it's not as fun. She can't leap and hop like she used to. Oh, sure, Lara is still a super human, but she needs to be more acrobatic, I feel. 6. Why does she scurry around like a dog? Why can't she just duck and skulk like a normal person (in a video game)? 7. It was very hard to see in some points of the game. The environments were too busy. It was way too dark. There was wind, and snow, and rain blowing in your face. You didn't know where to go. It made the game kind of annoying to play. There weren't huge issues with camera, but clarity was a problem. 8. Graphics are beautiful, yet somehow lacking. A lot of the environment looked dark and stiff. There was no sense of wonderement. You felt like you were always in a prison of some sort. 9. Voice acting. It's not that anyone did a bad job at voice acting, but I feel like the other Laras in Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld had better, more lively voices. 10. Button mashing! I hated it. It was so annoying to have to mash button X to open or do something. A couple times should do it. Having to press X rapidly 15 or 20 times is irritating. At most it should be 5 times. 11. So, you're in this huge rather lush world, but it's easy to get lost, and lose sight of your objectives. The "instincts" button while helpful didn't always hit the mark. In another Tomb Raider game I played she gave verbal clues, which was great, and in my opinion should be implemented into the next game in addition to the instincts tool. This would give further clarity as to what you have to do and where to go. 12. The story was so so. Nothing compelling or really emotional. I thought it lacked heart, and some of what happened was just ridiculous, and made no sense. It lacked consistency. 13. Game errors. There was a point in the game where my game just completely froze for no reason. I understand why this happens, but it should not be a thing.

PROS (There are more pros than there are cons in this game, but I'm only listing what stuck out.) 1. I like how the remodeled Lara to make her more realistic. Her boobs, while still quite large, are not as ridiculous as they once were. And she looks more like an explorer rather than a stripper. 2. I really like the open world, how you can explore, and move around. Makes you feel like you're there. The environments are large and spacious. While I noted they weren't perfect it is much an improvement over the previous games. The graphics at times can be very, very beautiful. 3. Pumping up the action was a great idea. It really pushed you along in the game. Made you feel excited. 4. Other than my comments on the puzzling elements, the style of gameplay was mixed together quite well. It was not completely linear. There were parts of the game where you only had to run and slide, or push the button at the right moments, and was used in the right amount. 5. The weapons upgrades were good fun. It gave an RPG feel to the game. ... In conclusion: Good game. Can be a bit frustrating, but worth checking out. Especially if you're a Tomb Raider fan. If you're not you still might like this.
  64. Jan 20, 2014
    Great graphics, user friendly, nice story. The QT events were pretty horrible atleast for PC but I was able to get past that. Combat system felt good since it allowed for head shots.
  65. Jan 25, 2014
    This is the first game I have not been able to put down in a long time! It is non stop action along with a great story. I put off getting this game for a while, cuz I have never been that big into the Tomb Raider games, but I am glad I gave it a chance! This is the first 10 I have ever given a game, it is a must have ! They have re done everything thing , I agree it is a mix of UnchartedThis is the first game I have not been able to put down in a long time! It is non stop action along with a great story. I put off getting this game for a while, cuz I have never been that big into the Tomb Raider games, but I am glad I gave it a chance! This is the first 10 I have ever given a game, it is a must have ! They have re done everything thing , I agree it is a mix of Uncharted and Far Cry 3 ..... Except better. If you like either of those games go get this! You will not regret it . I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  66. Jan 29, 2014
    tomb raider, the best way you can invest some money on a game, its beautiful, it has excelent gameplay controll, its full of art its awsome. you will not regret about buyin it
  67. Feb 6, 2014
    This game was FANTASTIC. It was action packed, amazing visuals, perfect controls and a great combat system. It was an amazingly immersive environment and the game took me 15 hours plus (I did spend a bit of time wandering)

Definitely a top 5 XBOX 360 game since launch.
  68. Nov 12, 2014
    This is the Tomb Raider game they always needed to make. Amazing story, amazing characters (especially Lara), and amazing gameplay.

My only main criticism of the game is the tombs themselves. Tombs should have been incredibly expansive puzzle-fests. Instead, they're very short, single-puzzle distractions. Very disappointing. Some of the scripted events are lacking, but otherwise

Some of the scripted events are lacking, but otherwise the gameplay is phenomenal. Although, I do think it focuses too much on action and too little on puzzle solving. Hopefully they'll fix that in the sequel.

It was honestly a toss-up between an "8" and a "9", but ultimately I choose "9" because I didn't feel it's action-oriented gameplay should detract from the score, even though I think Tomb Raider should have more puzzle elements than action.
  69. Mar 2, 2014
    Lara Croft is Born.

Pros: Amazing graphics. Semi open world. Great level design. Atmospheric. Great protagonist with the nice English accent. Triple A voice acting. Action packed. About 10 to 16 hrs. Cons: Story is ridiculous. Lara's friends are bland. Side tombs are uninspired. Exploring island is too scripted. Lara is like a god surviving all that chaos, she's not
    Lara Croft is Born.

Pros:
    Amazing graphics.
    Semi open world.
    Great level design.
    Atmospheric.
    Great protagonist with the nice English accent.
    Triple A voice acting.
    Action packed.
    About 10 to 16 hrs.

Cons:
    Story is ridiculous.
    Lara's friends are bland.
    Side tombs are uninspired.
    Exploring island is too scripted.
    Lara is like a god surviving all that chaos, she's not superman, make it less set pieced.
  70. May 27, 2014
    Beautiful game. Lara's a totally new character, we can feel more her, see her and her emotions. Her first kill and her first adventure in Yamatai to kill that **** of Himiko haha.
    Anyway, Tomb Raider give us a whole new experience, a journey with a new Lara. A more human Lara, a more characterized Lara, a totally new Lara.
  71. Mar 7, 2014
    As much as I love Tomb Raider, I'm afraid I won't be purchasing the newest release. For some reason, the makers have gone far, far away from what the game started out to be and have made it an 18, adding excessive violence and bad language. What's the point of that? This used to be a game I could play with my kids, with the suspense factor being paramount, particularly in the first game.As much as I love Tomb Raider, I'm afraid I won't be purchasing the newest release. For some reason, the makers have gone far, far away from what the game started out to be and have made it an 18, adding excessive violence and bad language. What's the point of that? This used to be a game I could play with my kids, with the suspense factor being paramount, particularly in the first game. Now they've turned it into a completely different format and just used the Tomb Raider name to create a survival game that has nothing to do with the original Tomb Raider.

I'm very upset! :(
  72. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is amazing I never liked the tomb raider games until this came out the clunky sloppy third person platforming IS NO MORE its smooth and feels great sometimes there is questionable landings but in my opinion I'd rather have that than have to start all over again because of a hyper sensitive platforming system.The gameplay is great also I really liked the upgrading system findThis game is amazing I never liked the tomb raider games until this came out the clunky sloppy third person platforming IS NO MORE its smooth and feels great sometimes there is questionable landings but in my opinion I'd rather have that than have to start all over again because of a hyper sensitive platforming system.The gameplay is great also I really liked the upgrading system find salvage which is the equivalent of money and use it to upgrade your weapons which are very reasonable upgrades such as quicker reload time or incendiary shotgun shells to name a few also another thing I liked was finding weapons part to reach the next level weapon for example upgrading a makeshift bow to a actual long bow and the story for this game let me tell you was amazing I'm not gonna post any spoilers but if you haven't gotten this game get it you won't regret it and a word of advice look all over the place for hidden items and raid the tombs it I'd worth while Expand
  73. May 17, 2014
    I still dont know if it's worth an 8 or 9.
    really good game, immersive with crazy storyline.
    you really get into it. you feel lara's emotions. Nothing seems fake. it's detailed and beautiful. lots of variety. even some puzzles gameplay's amazing only negative point is concerning the bow. It really feels great when executed as it's supposed to but... when you've spent all your gun
    I still dont know if it's worth an 8 or 9.
    really good game, immersive with crazy storyline.
    you really get into it. you feel lara's emotions.
    Nothing seems fake. it's detailed and beautiful.
    lots of variety. even some puzzles
    gameplay's amazing

only negative point is concerning the bow. It really feels great when executed as it's supposed to but... when you've spent all your gun ammos and start to shoot with the bow without streching it at all like it would be a pistol and that it actually shoot and hits target.. hum (almost sorry to say that but it,s true)

buy it
  74. Aug 11, 2014
    Tomb Raider has a very interesting plot with really good graphics for xbox 360. The voice actings are pretty good, and even though I don't like stealthing as much, but the stealth in tomb raider was really interesting. Awesome game, and I would recommend it to probably anybody.
  75. Sep 2, 2014
    Tomb Raider (2013) starts interestingly, it has a good story and we get CGI cutscenes. But the more it progressed i came less to like this game: lack of tombs , traps, animal fights, things what makes a great adventure that relaxing atmosphere in the past Tomb raider games ..oh! and the memorable music. The game has very nice graphics. When Lara isn't shooting human enemies it's quite niceTomb Raider (2013) starts interestingly, it has a good story and we get CGI cutscenes. But the more it progressed i came less to like this game: lack of tombs , traps, animal fights, things what makes a great adventure that relaxing atmosphere in the past Tomb raider games ..oh! and the memorable music. The game has very nice graphics. When Lara isn't shooting human enemies it's quite nice to play but there are many big action sequences and fighting against enemies, the game invests too heavily on action, which Isn't my liking. I get the feeling I've seen this many times before Expand
  76. Dec 22, 2014
    Bad things this game did:
    Not an open world like it could have been
    Horrible ending Forgettable story and characters Crafting (while good) you can't read what the hell you just did had to find tombs on your own. one location pretty much "I hate tombs" **** that line Good things: Story: all be it, not brilliant Combat was OK I suppose but it felt more like a cover shooter half
    Bad things this game did:
    Not an open world like it could have been
    Horrible ending
    Forgettable story and characters
    Crafting (while good) you can't read what the hell you just did
    had to find tombs on your own.
    one location pretty much
    "I hate tombs" **** that line

Good things:
    Story: all be it, not brilliant
    Combat was OK I suppose but it felt more like a cover shooter half the time.

biggest falt:
    NOT ****ING TOMB RAIDER!!!!!!

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.