Destiny Xbox One

5.5

1. Sep 9, 2014
    As far as mechanics are concerned, Destiny is a very solid title. The problem is what those mechanics are used towards.

The game world feels lifeless. Missions and zones feel highly repetitive. The story doesn't do a very good job of getting you hooked in.

In short, the gameplay does feel quite solid, and its a title people can enjoy. People just need to have lower expectations.
  2. Oct 27, 2014
    Terrible, plain TERRIBLE what they're doing by finishing DLC prior to launch and then selling it for half the game's original price even though it should of been included day 1 since its quite obvious the story was cut up, the doors to these areas were locked away but already on the disc/original game. This is a pathetic money grab attempt by Bungie and Activision and I hope every smartTerrible, plain TERRIBLE what they're doing by finishing DLC prior to launch and then selling it for half the game's original price even though it should of been included day 1 since its quite obvious the story was cut up, the doors to these areas were locked away but already on the disc/original game. This is a pathetic money grab attempt by Bungie and Activision and I hope every smart gamer out there can see this and start reversing this trend by not buying season passes/dlc's especially prior to launch. Terrible generic cut content lame game, boring as hell after a few weeks doing the same things. The story is a joke, you dont know wtf is going on unless you get online and look it up yourself! They lie on the back of the box "rich cinematic story telling", they dont tell you the story is chopped up in parts where for each little part you have to buy a $20 DLC expansion. Let these type of companies die off people, its for the best of gaming. Stop supporting companies like EA, Activision, Bungie, anybody you see pulling these kind of moves. Turn gaming back into something fun and affordable with healthy profits for these companies and not profiteering! Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is fun.
    It is not 10/10 as many people stated here, and it is not 0/10 like the others told it.
    It is just a fun space adventure if you have time to kill. Or in another words it is a game which wants to be something like halo with mixed mmo elements.

The biggest problem with the game is that mmo element. I bought a shooter and not an mmo. In a mmo I would be okay with the fact that group of enemies will respawn in a minute, but not here. I landed on the moon, and I cleared out a bunker full of aliens. I nearly did not even left the building, and the aliens respawned and started to fire at them. This just kills the feeling what you have accomplished so far.

The other negative thing is the story. There was a cinematic intro for 5 minutes. From that I managed to be informed, that there is some kind of a planet (or a moon, egg or ball?) which for some reason decided to help the human race and gave them advanced technology. But why Bungie?? And how????
    After that, something bad happened (the darkness came. lol) and it caused a by apocalypse on the earth. And what is that Darkness?
    You control a character which was dead for countless years, but he is OK with that, and never asks anything to catch up while he was sleeping.
    I played 7 hours so far from the game but I never get any answers.

The gameplay is narrowed down in the following scheme: Go from the open world to the point A. In the point A go for point B and kill countless monsters. After you arrived to point B release your robot, until he hacks something kill dozens of monsters.

I only said negative things, but it is still fun for me. The games has as I said before that epic space adventure mood. You can realy believe the fact that you are the good guy cleaning the trash from the galaxy.

I say if you have money to spend buy it. But I believe that through september - december there will be enough games which are more worthier than this. I will play this to the end, but certainly I will never touch it again after that.
  4. Sep 14, 2014
    Biggest disappointement ever. It was supposed to be a great game, with a lot of content, lot of things to do, lots of planets to explore... It just look like a f**king demo! Do NOT put 50$ in that, it is not worth it at all. There are only 3 goods points, the gameplay is fine, the graphics are nice and the musics pretty good. That's it, it is not a MMO, main quest can only be done with 2Biggest disappointement ever. It was supposed to be a great game, with a lot of content, lot of things to do, lots of planets to explore... It just look like a f**king demo! Do NOT put 50$ in that, it is not worth it at all. There are only 3 goods points, the gameplay is fine, the graphics are nice and the musics pretty good. That's it, it is not a MMO, main quest can only be done with 2 other players and the socail aspect sucks, it is not an adventure game either (forget everything you heard about Mass Effect, because it's not), it is just a boring FPS, far from Halo or Borderlands. What a waste. Expand
  5. Sep 9, 2014
    I rated this game a 7 earlier. However, after spending a few more hours with it with a full party of friends i would have to rate it around an 8. The PVE is absolutely a blast to play with friends, especially on the hard modes.

The PVP is fun, but it does need some tweaks and it could have really benefited from 60 fps.
  6. Sep 9, 2014
    I played for about six hours. Massive disappointment. Expected so much more from Bungie. Gameplay-wise, it's alright, nothing new but still entertaining enough. After a while, fighting gets terribly repetitive. Bosses are basically beefed-up versions of enemies you'd normally fight, but there are a couple of exceptions. Playing story missions on hard mode is pretty intense. But, beware -I played for about six hours. Massive disappointment. Expected so much more from Bungie. Gameplay-wise, it's alright, nothing new but still entertaining enough. After a while, fighting gets terribly repetitive. Bosses are basically beefed-up versions of enemies you'd normally fight, but there are a couple of exceptions. Playing story missions on hard mode is pretty intense. But, beware - sometimes the servers will D/C you and you'll have to restart from a checkpoint - which is pretty infuriating when you're on harder difficulty.

But the story, universe and lore is trash. Complete trash. The game's story tries so hard to be epic and mysterious, but it's not. There is no sense of character with anybody you ever see. Six hours in, I remember seeing maybe three or four actual cutscenes, all being five minutes or shorter. The first borderlands had a more compelling story.

if you want borderlands minus the fun and with better graphics, this is game for you

5/10 wait till sale
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    Bungie, like Naughty Dog, SCE Santa Monica, etc ..., has become another video game developer "sacred cow", they can do no wrong.

The game graphics, music and weapons controls are really good, but that's it There are so many things wrong with this game.. Missions are repetitive, basically 3 types of mission: - Go to point A and kill everybody in your way. - Go to point A, kill

Missions are repetitive, basically 3 types of mission:
    - Go to point A and kill everybody in your way.
    - Go to point A, kill everybody in your way and kill a mini boss at the end
    - Go to point A, kill everybody in your way, deploy the ghost, and protect the ghost for few minutes.

Loading times are ridiculous long, and UI is really bad.

Enemies are lame, and the AI is one of the worst I ever see in years. Basically the enemies hide behind obstacles or run to you until they hit an invisible wall.

8. Sep 12, 2014
    As an update to my previous review, I need to say that the game did get a little better after unlocking some more areas, but not enough improves to keep the game going. The main storyline can be completed in a single day (I completed it in a marathon session of about 8 hours) and the worlds you can explore become very uninteresting after exploring them the first few times More problemAs an update to my previous review, I need to say that the game did get a little better after unlocking some more areas, but not enough improves to keep the game going. The main storyline can be completed in a single day (I completed it in a marathon session of about 8 hours) and the worlds you can explore become very uninteresting after exploring them the first few times More problem arise with your weapons. While you gain access to a unique setup for your weapons, most of them look absolutely identical, down to the sites, which seem to ALWAYS look the same, unless you purchase additional iron sights (though those only exist on uncommon+ grade weapons).I do, however, appreciate the variety in weapon TYPES, with scout rifles, burst fire AR's, fully automatics, shotguns, snipers, superpowereful "fusion" weapons, RPG's and handcannon styled revolvers. Now, with this variety you would think that the models would look better, but you'd be wrong. Nearly every gun of the same type looks the same, which becomes a problem if you don't closely monitor your inventory when dismantling (selling) weapons. Another thing I genuinely like is your armor variety. Each and every armor piece changes how you look, excluding your facial features, which, much like GTA Online, become locked after creation, though unlike GTA Online, the more damage you take in your armor, the more worn it becomes so you can show other players how many firefights you've been in. Now multiplayer, while fun, isn't going to hold anyones attention for very long, ala Bioshock 2. You get 4 basic game modes (Domination, TDM, Free-for-all and 3v3) and a total of 6 maps. Though, perhaps the worst part of multiplayer isn't the lack of variety, but poor mAtchmaking. You cannot play with friends, nor chat with your team whatsoever unless you are in a party before matchmaking, and if you are matched with enemy players a few levels above you, e prepared to get steamrolled by superior weapons. All in all, Destiny is a game that couldn't live up to it's immensive hype (though really, what could?) and leaves players wanting for much, much more than what the finished product provides. Hopefully Bungie provides supplemental free DC to keep the game alive before games like GTA Online and The MAster Chief Collection come to next gen consoles, or I can't see Destiny lasting much longer. Expand
  9. Sep 9, 2014
    INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: Level 7, five hours with the game.

For those who say Destiny is a long-term game, fine. But something has to grab you within your first few hours that doesn't make you want to put it down. The only memorable part of Destiny so far, in five hours, has been Marty's flawless music. Everything else, story, gunplay, vehicles, movement, special abilities; none of
    INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: Level 7, five hours with the game.

Everything else, story, gunplay, vehicles, movement, special abilities; none of this presents any kind of "wow" factor, and doesn't do anything to rise above titles that have done it before.

After an initial impression of "meh" at the beta, I am giving the full version another shot at proving it is something more than a glorified Borderlands.

So far, it has not done so.
  10. Sep 9, 2014
    Destiny is yet another game that was hyped for months yet fell flat on launch day.

The lack of story is quite a disappointment considering how much Bungie is praised for Halo's deep tale. Okay, so a story is usually pretty bland in a MMO, that's understandable. I'd rather have a bland story than a nearly nonexistent one, however. Nothing very interesting has happened so far (I'm about 6 hours in with a level 7 Titan). What exactly is our Traveler tasked with? Who or what is our stereotypical big bad boss? Are we supposed to be saving the universe or simply scrounge around for loot to make our Traveler look badass in his/her new gear?

Gameplay is so repetitive that it's boring. Essentially every game has repetitive gameplay, of course, but nothing beats Destiny's wash, rinse, repeat method. As stated earlier, I'm ~6 hours into the game and all I've done is land on the moon for a new mission in the same spawn point, walk the same way, visit a different building (this was legitimately a shocker for me by mission 3), fight the same 3-4 enemy types, latch my Ghost onto some type of machine, protect said Ghost against a wave of enemies, kill a laughably stupid boss, and...that's it. Mission over. My reward? Another mission with the same objective...but this time the enemies are a level higher!

The voice acting is atrocious. I don't need to elaborate any more on this. The background music is okay; it sort of reminds me of borderline strip club dubstep which is kind of weird. As far as other sounds and music are concerned, everything is fairly standard.

Visuals is the area in which Destiny shines. The environments are absolutely gorgeous. Character customization was very well done. I also haven't noticed any armor clipping issues which I have to applaud.

Enjoyment is something I think you'll get out of Destiny only if you have friends to play with. Both PvE and PvP leave you with a bad taste in your mouth if you don't have at least one other person to play with-- but ideally, your firearm team should include 2 other people for the best results. For those of us who prefer to play alone...well, don't expect to run in guns blazing. It's just not doable unless you're playing co-op.

Overall opinion: You simply can't take a generic FPS and call it a MMO if you're not willing to add in elements that make MMOs enjoyable, and unfortunately, that's exactly what Bungie is trying to do. Every successful MMO has a variety of sidequests, some with heart-wrenching back-stories and wonderfully crafted characters who tell said stories. I still plan on finishing this game/reaching the max level in the hopes that endgame content will make up for what was delivered to us on day one. Hopefully I won't feel like I wasted my time after it's all said and done.
  11. Sep 9, 2014
    A failed attempt at something new.

Terrible AI, boring fetch quests and the same guns we have seen a thousand times in various shooters. Sure the environments are beautiful. Conceptually and visually Destiny is a stunning effort at originality. Unfortunately, someone forgot to remind developers that games are about what we do, not what we see. And what we do in Destiny is grind away
    A failed attempt at something new.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to remind developers that games are about what we do, not what we see. And what we do in Destiny is grind away on the same boring fetch quests time and again. Its like Borderlands, but without the quirks or uniqueness that make that game enjoyable.

Overall, a nice concept with an utterly failed execution.
  12. Sep 15, 2014
    this is my THIRD review of the game, i had given it a 8 but now im dropping that to a 5/10. here is why

i have this very minute finished the game and i can assure you its a huge let down, i had to actually YouTube the ending to make sure it was the same thing as i just witnessed, its the same concept as every other. You get on your sparrow ride through, get to a gate deploy ghost, he does his business, fight some enemies, go through a gate, kill some more goblin robots, then you are presented with fighting 3 of the boss's (all seperately) with the yellow writing (you will know what i mean if youve played it) and they are the EXACT same as the boss's from the previous level and i think they are also EASIER to kill, once youve done that the mission ending timer counts down, you go back to the tower and speak to the speaker, he does a little speech , THATS IT, not even any end credits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is the EXACT same as every other boring level.

the only thing i like about the game is the visuals and the levelling up but thats all pointless now, unless you fancy doing the same boring stuff in crucible over and over again.

You might see a trend here with the game - "repetitive" - awful!! - oh and certainly no replay value!

the second worst ending ive ever seen in a video game behind sniperghost warrior on 360. 4/10
  13. Sep 9, 2014
    When I first began playing the game I felt frustrated by the lack of open world chat but then I realized it added to the feeling of isolation and despair of awakening in the ruins of the old world to start my journey into the behemoth world of Destiny. I began my quest solo and ended up running into some players while completing a public event which led to me gaining a solid group ofWhen I first began playing the game I felt frustrated by the lack of open world chat but then I realized it added to the feeling of isolation and despair of awakening in the ruins of the old world to start my journey into the behemoth world of Destiny. I began my quest solo and ended up running into some players while completing a public event which led to me gaining a solid group of people to quest and PvP with which made the experience alot more enjoyable! Having a blast 9/10 for me Expand
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    The most disappointed I have ever felt towards a media release in my entire life. Firstly, the game suffers from an identity crisis. It results in being mediocre in every category. It's a bland shooter, shallow loot game, and boring pseudo-mmo. The story lacks the emotional depth and compelling nature of Halo and lacks the customization and humor of borderlands. It's the most "meh"The most disappointed I have ever felt towards a media release in my entire life. Firstly, the game suffers from an identity crisis. It results in being mediocre in every category. It's a bland shooter, shallow loot game, and boring pseudo-mmo. The story lacks the emotional depth and compelling nature of Halo and lacks the customization and humor of borderlands. It's the most "meh" game ever. I give it a 0 just for the broken promises and failure to even partially live up to any expectation I have. Expand
  15. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is just not fun or enjoyable just mediocre. Whenever I play it I wish I was playing a game that was simply more fun and better created. The story is garbage, sorry. This is because the narrative is vague and you literally have no reason to do the things you do. The game is sluggish and leveling up is unnecessarily drawn out. Game is lifeless playing alone and just a little moreThis game is just not fun or enjoyable just mediocre. Whenever I play it I wish I was playing a game that was simply more fun and better created. The story is garbage, sorry. This is because the narrative is vague and you literally have no reason to do the things you do. The game is sluggish and leveling up is unnecessarily drawn out. Game is lifeless playing alone and just a little more fun when you have people in your fireteam. All that happened was Activision and Sony spent a ton of money on a game that could not hold on to the unwarranted amount of hype for this game (likely caused by the enormous marketing budget). Ultimately, Destiny is not good now and will never be a good game, just a mediocre one. The online community will certainly not last long, better luck next time on a sequel... Expand
  16. Sep 9, 2014
    The game starts off with missions which, if you participated in the beta, you would have played already, and will seem a bit dull. Reading negative reviews, I'm not sure how far they have progressed in the game, and also not sure what they expected from an MMO.

Some of the levels have already provided a good challenge, and I am currently waiting for friends to get their copies to make it more enjoyable (what game isn't more fun with friends).

The way the game was made means Bungie can easily add lots of content in the future.

Not sure what some people were expecting but instead of reading bad reviews from people with nothing else better to do, I'd recommend taking time to go watch gameplay videos, and wait for actual reviews to be released.
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    If you like repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again then you'll love this game. It has to be one of the most boring and repetitive games I've ever played. I don't often bother putting reviews but I am so disappointed with this game I felt I had to. There is literally no story what so ever, its not immersive, the voice acting is terrible, all the guns are exactly theIf you like repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again then you'll love this game. It has to be one of the most boring and repetitive games I've ever played. I don't often bother putting reviews but I am so disappointed with this game I felt I had to. There is literally no story what so ever, its not immersive, the voice acting is terrible, all the guns are exactly the same, enemy AI is terrible, I've barely been playing it and I'm already half way through the game. If you played the Alpha or the Beta don't bother buying it, you've already played most of the game. Expand
  18. Sep 9, 2014
    Destiny arrived this morning and I have been playing it for around 7 hours, ergo this is only really a first impressions review. This is coming from a fan of CoD, Halo (Die-hard fan), Battlefield, Boarderlands, and Titanfall, as well as Forza.

For me, the only aspect in which Destiny dissapoints is the actual gunplay. The gunplay feels like a remake gone-wrong of Halo. Honestly, I sometimes felt that if they were gonna rip of their Halo franchise, they should have copied the lot. The shooting is not as snappy, or accuracy-based as Halo is, and that tells me that this game won't ever be competitive. They really should have left the gunplay as it was, because Halo stuck that balance perfectly.

However, this game is more than just shooting. I can't help but feel that all these guys giving it a 0 either haven't given this game a chance, or haven't played it at all. The whole ambience and feel of the world is real and ingaging. The graphic style is awesome, and render/draw distances even more impressive than Dead Rising 3, (and resolution is at full HD 1080p). The soundtrack, though not quite Martin O'Donnell's best work, is atmospheric and iconic.

The most fun to be had is on Patrols, Strikes, and Raids with friends. (No, we didn't complete the raid D: ). The game is certainly a social experiece, and if you don't have a group of 3 or so friends to play with, you won't experience all that Destiny has to offer, and I'd reccomend sticking with CoD or BF or Titanfall. The level design for the open-world is very good. I mean VERY good. The skyboxes are incredible (similar to Titanfall's), and the levels never leave you without action for too long. Character Customization is cool and very extensive, but doesn't persuade me to try to unlock more gear to swag myself up like I was hoping.

Although the crucible is, in some ways, Destiny's achilles heel, due to the frankly bland gunplay, It certainly adds to the experience. I hear complaints that you can't start in the crucible until level 5? Trust me, you probably won't want to. I recommend getting though the first few campaign missions and do a strike with some friends before getting into the crucible. Fundamentally though, The crucible itself lacks identity. Its customization is very extensive (same guardian as co-op), which is fun and interesting, especially for casuals, but compromises competitive play. Crucible is, despite it's relative lack of revolutionary ideas, is great fun and is a greater challenge than that found in co-op. You can rely on the crucible to hold your interest for a few hours until your friends come online.

Lastly, the framerate is very steady for me, never dropping at all. The controller is perfect for this game, which in some ways actually redeems it. Having played the game on my PS4 aswell, I can tell you that X1 is the place to play Destiny. Movement is fluid, responsive and natural, unlike the clunky nature of the PS4 controller, plus there is no spec difference between the versions. Matchmaking (where applicable) is rapid and finds great, no-lag games most of the time, with matches being close almost every time as well.

The Verdict! Destiny is not perfect. Neither is is the best game of the year, nor Bungie's best game. But, with the debatable exception on crucible and gunplay, the game is fun an unique in its own right. This isn't the Holy Grail of fps games, no game ever will be, but this game has impressed me. Its scale is massive. This game is fun, and is worth the price tag. I certainly do not regret my purchase, and would recommend this to any FPS fan, looking mainly for a co-op/singleplayer experience.
  19. Sep 10, 2014
    People who give this a high review are just falling for the hype. Campaign was awful it feels so thrown together and forced. It is super repetitive and boring.The dialog and music choices are so farcical that I had a hard time not laughing at how bad it was. Why on Earth would you add motion blur and bloom to a game like this? Special abilities and all the weapons make should not have beenPeople who give this a high review are just falling for the hype. Campaign was awful it feels so thrown together and forced. It is super repetitive and boring.The dialog and music choices are so farcical that I had a hard time not laughing at how bad it was. Why on Earth would you add motion blur and bloom to a game like this? Special abilities and all the weapons make should not have been added to crucible. The abilities especially make it super unbalanced. Don't claim "arena style" and then put in a class based shooter. It doesn't feel like free roam it is kind of just here is the start now walk to the end. The maps feel so linear with clear paths you are forced to walk. Also I feel like it isn't even a real MMO sure you can do the Raids and help people out, but they might as well be bots as far as bungie is concerned no real communication with the other players that means no trading, no real interactions...I guess you can dance....You have that ability... I have loved bungie since the days of Marathon, but today I am just glad they are no longer making halo.... Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    While many others are comparing Destiny to the likes of halo and Borderlands, I say that they're wrong in that respect. Destiny definitely has its own feel and fluidity, BUT, that's a bout it. It feels dull and generic in a weird kind of way which is followed by repetition of levels that are practically identical, differing only in colours and a few blocks. Bungie have done well making theWhile many others are comparing Destiny to the likes of halo and Borderlands, I say that they're wrong in that respect. Destiny definitely has its own feel and fluidity, BUT, that's a bout it. It feels dull and generic in a weird kind of way which is followed by repetition of levels that are practically identical, differing only in colours and a few blocks. Bungie have done well making the game play properly but not necessarily in a fun way...

I hope that others find enjoyment in Destiny, I do not wish it to fail it's just not the type of game that suits me. I truly do hope it succeeds as Bungie are a solid company, just don't fall down the path of exclusivity and other BS.
  21. Sep 9, 2014
    Essentially a Borderlands rip-off minus all the things that make Borderlands unique, like its art and humor, whether you liked them or not. Boring grinding, tiny maps, limited features and customization. This is a marketing campaign, not a game.
  22. Sep 9, 2014
    Destiny just simply isn't fun. The game play is boring and repetitive, the graphics are not that good either. Does not live up to the hype and definitely won't see a sequel
  23. Sep 10, 2014
    This game has all the bells and whistles a AAA title should have, but completely lacking in soul. It's a hollow shell, emotionless, and worst of all boring. How did Bungie get this so wrong? Where is the heart?
  24. Sep 9, 2014
    The IP and the lore was interesting but always felt like it fell short in every aspect. It tries so hard to try and make you feel like a hero that it loses it's finesse and just becomes uninteresting.

Graphically it looks less than stellar. It's definitely not going to win awards for best looking, and it's art style does not make up for this. Low resolution textures, low render resolution, and low framerate all ruin the feel of the game, no matter how much post processing the developers tried to pump into the title.

Gameplay and missions get boring and repetitive after a short amount of time with the game. Go to x place and kill y thing(s). Interact with something every so often, kill a boss by removing hitpoints. It doesn't get more bland than this.

The game did not live up to the hype. Subpar execution of a terrific idea on paper. Hopefully the developers will update this game back to where it should be, but I'm not optimistic. Very big disappointment.
  25. Sep 9, 2014
    The hype for this game definitely was of such proportions. The game doesn't stand a chance to live up to it. The missions are a disaster. They are all similar for example.
  26. Sep 9, 2014
    You might as well just play Borderlands 2. This game is a waste of $60.00. It's a combination of Borderlands and Halo, but without any of the fun. Little to no interesting story or characters. The character customization leaves a lot to be desired. The only saving grave of this game is Peter Dinklage and the graphics. Otherwise, it's just another mediocre shooter that feels like it'sYou might as well just play Borderlands 2. This game is a waste of $60.00. It's a combination of Borderlands and Halo, but without any of the fun. Little to no interesting story or characters. The character customization leaves a lot to be desired. The only saving grave of this game is Peter Dinklage and the graphics. Otherwise, it's just another mediocre shooter that feels like it's trying to be Halo, but with horribly repetitive quests/missions that makes the game bland and uninteresting. Re-visit the same locations over and over in "Old Russia" and fight the same types of enemies. Sense of character progression is missing and nearly existent, despite the skill tree. It's missing all of the charm and fun that games like Borderlands 2 deliver on and feels like another generic shooter that's trying to be an MMO (eg. Defiance). With the limitations on voice chat, it leaves you feeling as if you are playing alone or with A.I. and without that MMO "feel" or interesting story to speak of, it ends up feeling like you're playing some fancy Free-To-Play shooter like Warframe. Expand
  27. Sep 9, 2014
    This game has a lot of repetition.There is little to no uniqueness in this game.Everybody looks and feels the same which is ironic because the game states become legend
  28. Jan 27, 2015
    I originally gave this game a really good review but now it's "aww crap we forgot to complete the game... Oh! i know lets make some DLC for it for the rest of the game!"
  29. Sep 10, 2014
    30 years of gaming under my belt.

I see a lot of early reviews by big sites pulling punches, they shouldn't. Destiny is about as much fun as taking a nun to a strip club. This game is THE MOST linear, unimaginative game I've ever played. It lacks cohesion, any sense of depth or identity and takes repetition to a whole new level. It is an ugly pig with lipstick. I've seen
    30 years of gaming under my belt.

I see a lot of early reviews by big sites pulling punches, they shouldn't.

Destiny is about as much fun as taking a nun to a strip club.

I've seen better A.I. on my PS2, hell my smart phone...

For those of us who don't have 29 million friends, or the time to try to to pursue them if we did, this is about as much fun as a finding a toenail in your soup.

Sadly, this game yet another colossal waste of money. I'll just tell myself I went to dinner with the wife and kids and spend my gaming time replaying titles that hit every mark this gamed missed. Shouldn't be hard to find one in my library as this seems to have missed them ALL.

I give it a 1 out of pity for the underpaid coder.
  30. Sep 9, 2014
    Terrible. Go to X, kill Y, repeat; all the missions are identical. This is the most repetitive game I have ever played. All the guns feel the same, the maps are bland and you can't talk to anyone else. That is right, no communication whatsoever unless you are in a private chat with your friends. What was Bungie thinking? Lastly, you are forced to play Bungies matchmaking because there areTerrible. Go to X, kill Y, repeat; all the missions are identical. This is the most repetitive game I have ever played. All the guns feel the same, the maps are bland and you can't talk to anyone else. That is right, no communication whatsoever unless you are in a private chat with your friends. What was Bungie thinking? Lastly, you are forced to play Bungies matchmaking because there are no private games whatsoever. Burn it with fire and stay away. Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2014
    There is no way in which I can do this game justice from day 1.

There is no way in which I can do this game justice from day 1.

A few hours in, I’m becoming increasingly aware that I’m only skating on a very large surface. Exploring The Tower, Destiny’s safe, trading area, the magnitude of what’s really going on here is starting to dawn upon me. The number of weapon variants is already ballooning. As is quantity of armour options available for the next few levels, several of which are already sneaking in buffs, either in isolation or in conjunction with other gear. And then there's my first skill-tree, which, although unlocking gradually, is making my mind race forward with thoughts of how I’m going to use it sympathetically with the gear I pick up, once I’ve actually worked out how I want to play.

I can't wait to play more and see where this leads me.....
  32. Sep 9, 2014
    I feel physically ill after playing this game. It's so derivative and cynically designed. It feels like a bad F2P MMO trying to pretend that it's a cinematic shooter. It is more or less polished, but completely dull, forgettable and downright BORING to play, I will be returning this game, I have played better F2P games.
  33. Sep 9, 2014
    I laugh at the negative reviews on here, because its all trolling. We at a point with video gaming where the range of innovation is becoming thin. The truth is, Destiny is a mind-blowing game. I love the graphics, the natural game-play, and the story line makes you want to invest in it (unlike Watchdogs.) What makes Destiny more impressive is that it is an FPS-MMO-RPG... all in one. ThisI laugh at the negative reviews on here, because its all trolling. We at a point with video gaming where the range of innovation is becoming thin. The truth is, Destiny is a mind-blowing game. I love the graphics, the natural game-play, and the story line makes you want to invest in it (unlike Watchdogs.) What makes Destiny more impressive is that it is an FPS-MMO-RPG... all in one. This is clearly the best game of the year and I look forward to playing it more and more. Expand
  34. Sep 12, 2014
    OK. I gave Destiny a 0 because of disconnects every 5 minutes.
    But, now that's over. So props to you bungie. I have to say Destiny is now worth a fully fledged 2.
  35. Sep 10, 2014
    What a disappointment !
    I bought the game the day it came out without having played the Beta ...
    I trusted the reviews on the net and I strongly regret it!
    The game is still the same, we get bored quickly
  36. Sep 9, 2014
    It seems a poor man's Borderlands 2, without the loot fun and the RPGish elements. Friends who got the game also spoke of disappointment, though the multiplayer has got some nice aspects to it.
  37. Sep 9, 2014
    Game is equally bad on both the XBone and PS4. Huge disappointment. The biggest multi-player game of the year goes bust on day one. Fail...

Why did I even bother getting a PS4?
  38. Sep 9, 2014
    Wash rinse repeat !! This review will be like the game....the game is polished in the shooting controls and the fluid movement, then a robot enemy comes out in droves to stop forward movement, after an hour you finally can go get your "cough" loot, then fight a boss that is lame (like a sphere) the AI is really bad. You move on to the next section......the game is polished in theWash rinse repeat !! This review will be like the game....the game is polished in the shooting controls and the fluid movement, then a robot enemy comes out in droves to stop forward movement, after an hour you finally can go get your "cough" loot, then fight a boss that is lame (like a sphere) the AI is really bad. You move on to the next section......the game is polished in the shooting controls and the fluid movement, then a robot enemy comes out in droves to stop forward movement, after an hour you finally can go get your "cough" loot, then fight a boss that is lame (like a sphere) the AI is really bad. Expand
  39. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is certified BUNS. Cant play Multiplayer from the start and forces you to play the same boring mission objective over and over and over again. I rather have burned 60$
  40. Sep 9, 2014
    Incredible game so far, was playing last night with my friends and had an amazing time. Don't listen to the other reviews because to me they don't even seem like they've actually played the game or gotten past the first mission.
  41. Oct 14, 2014
    I have had a lot of time to go into depth on this and play everything it has to offer. Now I will give the good, the bad and my overview. . . .

Good- - Good basis around team play - Beautiful graphics and visual landscapes - Character customization (Even if it's basic) - Easy leveling system - Easy social interactions - Slightest MMO feel. - Mix of different game modes/ events to

Good-
    - Good basis around team play
    - Beautiful graphics and visual landscapes
    - Character customization (Even if it's basic)
    - Easy leveling system
    - Easy social interactions
    - Slightest MMO feel.
    - Mix of different game modes/ events to play.

Bad-
    - Only 3 to a fireteam (In game Party)
    - Horrible story-line
    - Repetitive game-play
    - Loot drop is shocking, zero reward for a lot of effort.
    - Leveling is too slow past 20.

Overview-
    - This game, what to say about this game. It's one that I think I like then there are moments I really dislike it, so I have come to terms with the main reason this game isn't at the top of the win list. The Loot Drop, with all the games of today this is by far the worst loot drop based game I have EVER played. You can battle and shoot it out for an hour and at the end get a useless set of gloves and a light orb that takes a million of to get something good (Sarcastic), so at the end you feel robbed and underpaid. . . . For example, while in the crucible, myself and my friend where at the top of the leader board, just running a muck and managed to not only get the most points/ kills but win it even though, the rest of our team where in a negative. At the end we got nothing at all, where the rest got a mix of gloves, boots, helmets and light. After that there was no motive to play, because why should I work the hardest and get paid the least? So all in all amazing looking shooter and a lot of fun while playing, but the loot system has just destroyed it in my opinion. 5/10
  42. Dec 10, 2014
    With the new Expansion I can't support this game.. 20 bucks just to retain content that I had from the start. I now can't do the Weekly strikes because they're part of the expansions. The game is poorly written as it is and really isn't challenging at all. The way they increase challenges is 3 simple mechanics, adding more bad guys, giving them more health/damage or adding shields on toWith the new Expansion I can't support this game.. 20 bucks just to retain content that I had from the start. I now can't do the Weekly strikes because they're part of the expansions. The game is poorly written as it is and really isn't challenging at all. The way they increase challenges is 3 simple mechanics, adding more bad guys, giving them more health/damage or adding shields on to them.. that's it. Not to mention you get less content and pay the same on Xbox.. Expand
  43. Dec 12, 2014
    $15 per DLC that was already on the disc when I bought it? Check. Same price but less DLC features than Playstation? Check. Crappy Dev who wants to patch the Raid every time someone beats it so that current strategies no longer work? Double Check. Take your ball and go home, Bungie, you'll never get another dime from me.
  44. Sep 30, 2014
    An excellent shooter with a half-assed RPG element and minimalist story that devolves into a grind fest so fast that you will wonder at what point you were supposed to have any true fun or a unique experience.
    After watching 5 legendary engrams turn into blues or currency, I came to realize this game was more designed to frustrate than reward. Unless of course you happen to be on of the very few lucky people who get top tier loot for going 2-21 in the basically mandatory Crucible (mandatory if you want loot from any other faction than the default one, which you will need if you want to actually get useful equipment).
    With other good examples of Shooter/RPG games out there, it saddens me to see that this is the best that Bungie could come up with. Its even worse when you think about how they boasted about spending $500 mil. on the game. With the thin content, I'm curious as to where that money went.
  45. Dec 9, 2014
    The games can be repetative at times, but I have over 350 hours in it now and its more about the social aspect and playing with friends. They are improving the game a little each update so it will only get better. I only took a point away because of the disparity between the content in ps4 and xone. I paid the same for the game and dlc and you screw me for choosing to play on xone. I haveThe games can be repetative at times, but I have over 350 hours in it now and its more about the social aspect and playing with friends. They are improving the game a little each update so it will only get better. I only took a point away because of the disparity between the content in ps4 and xone. I paid the same for the game and dlc and you screw me for choosing to play on xone. I have both systems but have the game on one because of the social environmental of xbox live. Expand
  46. Oct 4, 2014
    There is so much missed potential to this game. There are great points, yet the bad are nearly out weighing the good.

The Good: -The graphics are amazing. So much detail in the worlds you'll find yourself stopping for a moment just to see the details the team put into it. -A variety of aliens to fight. 4 different factions. The Fallen, Hive, Vex, and Cabal. All different in look and

The Good:
    -A variety of aliens to fight. 4 different factions. The Fallen, Hive, Vex, and Cabal. All different in look and even have different combat styles. Cabals have soldiers with jet packs and the Hive have wizards that cast poison fields, just to name a few.
    -The combat is great. Jumping around the field, finding cover, and using your abilities. With a team of 3 it can get crazy on the higher level content.

The Bad:
    -The campaign. You'll have no idea what is going on. The campaign feels like it has been ripped out for later content and we are given a jumbled up mess.
    -The loot system is terrible. Top the chart in the crucible? Yea, that legendary and exotic gear is going to the worst or random player. Loot drops are not exciting unless its an engram.
    -The guns are bland. They all look mostly the same until you get exotic gear. And why can't we use alien weapons? That would of made the combat even better!
    -The mission types are as follows: Waves of enemies. Scan a location. Kill enemies for pick ups. Yea...even in the campaign.

There's some good to this game, but for now, wait for the expansions to come and see if anything is fixed are better content is added.
  47. Oct 11, 2014
    Destiny is not a bad game, but its not amazing either. What it does it does well but it all just feels half hearted. Theres some enjoyment to be had here. Proceed with caution.
  48. Jan 11, 2015
    Though I knew Destiny was going to focus heavily on the MMO aspects, single-player gamer reviews convinced me that it was so much more than that. I feel lied to. The story line aspects that I expected from the creators of Halo simply aren't there. The quests are tedious and lack completely in creativity and the single player content simply isn't fun. I am a complete sci-fi lover, and I hadThough I knew Destiny was going to focus heavily on the MMO aspects, single-player gamer reviews convinced me that it was so much more than that. I feel lied to. The story line aspects that I expected from the creators of Halo simply aren't there. The quests are tedious and lack completely in creativity and the single player content simply isn't fun. I am a complete sci-fi lover, and I had exceptional enthusiasm and high hopes for this game. Unfortunately, I have found myself disappointed in every way. I regret my purchase. If you want to sign-on with a couple buddies, and do the same sort of shoot and kill quests over and over, this will be perfect for you. If you want an enriching and well thought out sci-fi single player environment, don't waste your money. Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2014
    Probably one of the best shoot em up games on the x'bone. Graphics and audio are great. Multiplayer is good and works - more than you can say for drive club, master chief collection, etc! There is very little story to capture you imagination, but I find I keep going back to it for a blast and it's still as fun as day one.
  50. Dec 4, 2014
    I was pretty darned excited about this game.

First game i bought for Xbox One and i'm a bit disappointed. FPS Mechanics (7/10): Really like the feel of the game. Feels reminiscent of the Halo series naturally. It does feel a bit out of touch considering it's a sci-fi shooter and there are a ton of other games out there with way better feeling. Even Ryse feels more naturally feeling
    I was pretty darned excited about this game.

First game i bought for Xbox One and i'm a bit disappointed.

FPS Mechanics (7/10): Really like the feel of the game. Feels reminiscent of the Halo series naturally. It does feel a bit out of touch considering it's a sci-fi shooter and there are a ton of other games out there with way better feeling. Even Ryse feels more naturally feeling than this game.

Story (4/10): When i first got through the initial cut scenes i thought this is going to be awesome. Awesome idea for a story, but then after i started getting into the game i had no background of why am i going here? What are we getting out of this? How does this advance the story? Why does this make me involved? All of these questions when unanswered for the most part.

Gameplay & Missions (3/10): All of these from the very beginning started running together. After so long, i said, "One more mission where i find what the ghost is looking for and then just hold off the enemies and i'm done!" Well, the next 3 missions were exactly the same.... find some tech ghost was looking for, deploy it and then defend... seriously?? Just sad because this game had so much potential.

Overall (5/10): Beautiful scenery, mostly fluid mechanics ruined by depth of gameplay and story.
  51. Nov 15, 2014
    This game is definitely not for everyone. I really liked it up till around level 28 when it started feeling like a chore to upgrade gear. The story, or lack of one, was kind of lame but I got to shoot stuff so it didn't bother me much. Pretty fun with friends although I am really bad at the multiplayer a.k.a. the crucible. I'd recommend it for people who like co-op games like borderlands,This game is definitely not for everyone. I really liked it up till around level 28 when it started feeling like a chore to upgrade gear. The story, or lack of one, was kind of lame but I got to shoot stuff so it didn't bother me much. Pretty fun with friends although I am really bad at the multiplayer a.k.a. the crucible. I'd recommend it for people who like co-op games like borderlands, dead island, etc. Expand
  52. Nov 1, 2014
    Great game-play. Unfinished short story. Borderlands meets Halo meets WoW. 60 hours into this game and still wanting much more. Playing story missions with friends is awesome. Destiny has so much potential as a franchise, I cant wait for updates and DLC. There are plenty of downfalls though, the game only seems like its about 20% finished. In total i'd say there's about 22 story missions,Great game-play. Unfinished short story. Borderlands meets Halo meets WoW. 60 hours into this game and still wanting much more. Playing story missions with friends is awesome. Destiny has so much potential as a franchise, I cant wait for updates and DLC. There are plenty of downfalls though, the game only seems like its about 20% finished. In total i'd say there's about 22 story missions, 6 strikes, 1 Raid, and only 4 patrol-able planets, which can all be completed within 20 hrs. IMO Bungie should have doubled activities, planets, bounties, weapons, patrol mission's, collectible items, upgrade items, etc.... Expand
  53. Nov 24, 2014
    Destiny is a tricky one. Tricky in the sense that it has potential to be truly one of the greatest games of all time. I understand it's a game with a sort of catch that it'll upgrade itself over the years, and that I can appreciate. It was fun, clean and solid - a true blast to play with your friends. However, when your friends aren't online, this game falls by the wayside. Unfortunately,Destiny is a tricky one. Tricky in the sense that it has potential to be truly one of the greatest games of all time. I understand it's a game with a sort of catch that it'll upgrade itself over the years, and that I can appreciate. It was fun, clean and solid - a true blast to play with your friends. However, when your friends aren't online, this game falls by the wayside. Unfortunately, it's another example of a game with too much hype that did not deliver to it's full potential on release day. This game will improve over time however, with it easily bumping it from a 7 to a 9 out of ten. At present, it is worth the buy, just don't buy the hype. Expand
  54. Feb 20, 2015
    This game is boring, repetitive, half of what it was hyped to be, and depends heavily on customer-generated 3rd party aps just to function, i.e., DestinyLFG. You have to use an external website, just to communicate, find, and build a team to tackle the raids, high-level, 6 player missions which drop the best rewards. Imagine that, the game is so unfinished, that the users have to fill inThis game is boring, repetitive, half of what it was hyped to be, and depends heavily on customer-generated 3rd party aps just to function, i.e., DestinyLFG. You have to use an external website, just to communicate, find, and build a team to tackle the raids, high-level, 6 player missions which drop the best rewards. Imagine that, the game is so unfinished, that the users have to fill in the broken pieces. On top of that, the user generated content is much more polished and enriching than the half-ass*d, rushed storyline that is in the game. It is clear this game fell apart during the design process, as shown by the departure of the lead writer. Alpha version testers attest to how the storyline was chopped up and klugged back together, to make a nonsensical narrative.

The community "support" by bungie is laughable, as they keep making beginner mistakes. Their quick to patch player exploits, but can't even solve bugs that have been around since the beta i.e., the heave ammo bug, which has been around since launch in September 2013, that is HALF A YEAR.... SERIOUSLY?

The pvp is a joke and wildly unbalanced. Player super powers allow a single player to effectively push an "i win" button and wipe out a whole team. Shotguns have totally unrealistic ranges, and all this is after 6 months of "polish". What crap. There's a reason this game is widely disrespected and the players have left in droves.
  55. Dec 5, 2014
    I have been playing this game in the evenings after my wife and kids go to bed. I tried some of the other recent releases but they just don't seem to be any where near as immersive or entertaining for me.

If you like shooter games I can not see giving this game below a 6. I give it a 9 with potential for a 10. For me this game gets better as I play it. I played my first Nightfall Strike two nights ago and it was an amazing experience. It was so good I now have to rate Destiny is one of the top 2 or 3 games I have played. (Mass Effect are the others)

I typically don't write reviews or letters to editors but after seeing zeros... I felt compelled to praise the people who crafted it. Thank you, Bungie. (note, I am a bit ticked you are giving an extra strike to the PS4... but I get over it.)
  56. Jul 18, 2015
    I could sit here and write a lengthy review with pros and cons but I won't. What I really want to talk about is how much time I have put into the game and the amazing experience I have had with my friends.

This game by yourself is not going to be nearly as fun compared to when you are doing anything with your friends or even random online players. The game has small flaws, mostly PvP balance and lack of end game content. Not to an extreme (End Game wise) but there could be more to offer post 20 like Sparrow races, gambling, etc. I mostly would just like to see side activities as the 2 just listed to do with friends that isn't combat scenario's. Mini games, parkour challenges, really anything. Just something more to the game other than Raids, PoE, Strikes and PvP.

I really do give this game a 10. Why? Not because it's perfect but this game has turned into one of the best Co-Op experiences I have ever had in the past several years. Probably the best since the 1st Borderlands. I have put so much time and had so much fun with my friends that I can't not give it a 10. The game itself may not be perfect but all the wonderful experiences I have had is rare with games now a days. No other game this year has made me and my friends do nothing but enjoy our time. Wether it was the first VoG run, bouncing the ball at the Tower or just being idiots in general. I have had an amazing time.

I simply love the game because it has been a super fun experience, with loads of hours and craziness. Many challenging moments, many epic PvP kills and tons of those "moments" you won't forget. That is what to me, defines an MMO. Something unforgettable with friends and random people online that turn into an awesome night of gaming.

I still play today and probably will for a long time. Thanks for reading.

Cheers!
  57. Jan 3, 2015
    Total ripoff. The game was released in a broken state. 100% hype, 0% innovation, 100% boring gameplay and story. Bungie promised patches, but instead they started working on addons and a sequel.
  58. Nov 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People are too harsh on this game it's actually quite amazing! Seems people are getting way to hard to please these days. Multiplayer is extremely fun!!! Expand
  59. Nov 12, 2014
    I have been playing this game for the last month and though enjoying it it gets repetitive after a while. Was to believe that the world itself world be larger and more packed with missions etcetera. After completing it i was like "was that it" and that says it all. The different character roles doesn't vary to much which is a minus, and the story is laughable. But gameplay wise it does theI have been playing this game for the last month and though enjoying it it gets repetitive after a while. Was to believe that the world itself world be larger and more packed with missions etcetera. After completing it i was like "was that it" and that says it all. The different character roles doesn't vary to much which is a minus, and the story is laughable. But gameplay wise it does the trick but i expect much more for Destiny 2. Expand
  60. Mar 30, 2015
    In a nutshell: bland, repetitive, lacking content, overhyped. Destiny was a huge disappointment, I returned my copy after a week. The campaign is pathetic. You spawn in the exact same location every time and see the same scenery over and over. The game promised exploration of huge worlds and didn't even slightly deliver. The level design is hilariously lazy. The character customization isIn a nutshell: bland, repetitive, lacking content, overhyped. Destiny was a huge disappointment, I returned my copy after a week. The campaign is pathetic. You spawn in the exact same location every time and see the same scenery over and over. The game promised exploration of huge worlds and didn't even slightly deliver. The level design is hilariously lazy. The character customization is pointless, the multiplayer is nothing new, and the game's content in general is completely lacking. The main hub is a big empty space where you can't talk or trade with anyone. Grinding is the main objective of the game, and the frustration of this is compounded by the random loot drops. If you perform the best in a raid, you are no more likely to get the best rewards than someone who did the worst in the raid. Expand
  61. Jan 19, 2015
    I don't understand how anyone can rate this above a 6. The only thing good about it is the graphics and mechanics. It's a zero story grind fest. Worse than that, they think we're idiots (and some of you are). At this point it's BEYOND DISPUTE that they took a 60 dollar game and chopped it up into pieces so they could sell those pieces for more money. BEYOND DISPUTE. Anyone claimingI don't understand how anyone can rate this above a 6. The only thing good about it is the graphics and mechanics. It's a zero story grind fest. Worse than that, they think we're idiots (and some of you are). At this point it's BEYOND DISPUTE that they took a 60 dollar game and chopped it up into pieces so they could sell those pieces for more money. BEYOND DISPUTE. Anyone claiming otherwise is a moron, or working for Activision. Expand
  62. Sep 25, 2014
    Just a giant let down of a game. No story line whats so ever to speak of. A total of 5 cut scenes in the whole game, where the traveler reminds you at one point "That they could tell you the history of what happened but they wont" So instead your dropped into this world where nothing is explained head from point to point deploy your companion and defend him from a horde or minions. Wash,Just a giant let down of a game. No story line whats so ever to speak of. A total of 5 cut scenes in the whole game, where the traveler reminds you at one point "That they could tell you the history of what happened but they wont" So instead your dropped into this world where nothing is explained head from point to point deploy your companion and defend him from a horde or minions. Wash, rinse, and repeat. The levels become mind numbing. This game would be a 0 out of 0 but the graphics, sound, and multi-player somewhat redeem the game but not enough to justify playing it. There are just so many odd design choices in this game like adding the grimmoire online where you can look up external material that is not actually added in the game. Not to mention that the last boss is just 3 previous bosses combined together. The whole game just screams lazy, disappointing, and grind fest. Expand
  63. Oct 30, 2014
    Destiny certainly has its flaws, but those same flaws are ultimately just a part of the experience. The story is lacking (which sucks for those who like story-driven games) and the grinding can get very frustrating, but otherwise this is a game I would highly recommend, especially for people who are just looking to have fun with their friends, gunning across the ruined worlds of the Solar System.
  64. Nov 25, 2014
    First off the game is addicting and fun. There is plenty of grind to be had in this game and the journey to level 30 is fun. The raid content is quite fun but frustrating because of horrible reward system. Here is why its not a 10 for me, there is basically no story at all! its very amateurish boring story i have ever played in a game EVER! There is a huge lack of social communication inFirst off the game is addicting and fun. There is plenty of grind to be had in this game and the journey to level 30 is fun. The raid content is quite fun but frustrating because of horrible reward system. Here is why its not a 10 for me, there is basically no story at all! its very amateurish boring story i have ever played in a game EVER! There is a huge lack of social communication in this game and the reason behind that is unknown... I don't see why the developers decided to do that... Overall its worth the 60 dollars but the content is extremely grind fest material and if your not into that this game is NOT FOR YOU! Expand
  65. Jan 6, 2015
    This game has been abused by reviewers. Before I say why I love destiny, I want to point out something: This isn't an mmo. It may sell itself as an mmo, but it isn't. The multiplayer isn't massive nor is the content. This Game was designed by shooter developers, and should judged so. If you approach it as a shooter, you realize why people like playing destiny despite its supposed storyThis game has been abused by reviewers. Before I say why I love destiny, I want to point out something: This isn't an mmo. It may sell itself as an mmo, but it isn't. The multiplayer isn't massive nor is the content. This Game was designed by shooter developers, and should judged so. If you approach it as a shooter, you realize why people like playing destiny despite its supposed story flaws. It was made for gameplay, and uses the story to move things along to level 20 and nothing more, just as it was intended. As a shooter this game is great in every way, from gunplay to multiplayer, to openworld and enemy design. The content in scale of a shooter is huge. This is why the game has been abused by reviewers like gamespot and ign. They think it is an memo and place to much weight on that, not paying attention to the fact that this game isn't at all an mmo, but a co op shooter that focuses on good game play in an open world, similar to skyrim without co op. Don't say halo or cod is an mmo, nor say destiny is. As a shooter, this game is perfect. Expand
  66. Nov 4, 2014
    A fresh take on shooters and MMO games that is enjoyable to see in a world of unoriginal content. I do have a few issues with it, however.

The story is very short. They built an amazing backdrop and universe and then tacked on story as an afterthought, almost. They're releasing more story in the expansion which costs more, and that is more than a little off-putting. The PvP can feel

The PvP can feel a little unbalanced and lacks the depth I'd hope to see from any type of MMO game.

Limits on weekly points earned, kind of like a pay-to-win mobile game. This can seriously limit leveling.

Glitches in fireteam voice chat and loading. Server drops often. No matchmaking for high level strikes and raids.

All that being said, I've put hours and hours into this game and I find it greatly enjoyable. Worth a buy, but let Bungie know you expect more out of them in the future as far as story and content.
  67. Nov 5, 2014
    This game is a fun venture into a FPS MMO. Many of the negative reviews cite repetitiveness and doing the same things over and over, but they must not have played an MMO before. That is what they are. This game is basically designed for two purposes. Raiding and PvP. The rest of the game is built to prepare you for the real challenges of fighting others or clearing the raid on HARD.This game is a fun venture into a FPS MMO. Many of the negative reviews cite repetitiveness and doing the same things over and over, but they must not have played an MMO before. That is what they are. This game is basically designed for two purposes. Raiding and PvP. The rest of the game is built to prepare you for the real challenges of fighting others or clearing the raid on HARD. With another raid coming out in fairly short time after the first, it really feels like Bungie has invested in listening to feedback and helping to improve the game. This was a step out for them to go with, and I'm really happy with the result. Expand
  68. Nov 11, 2014
    For fans of Halo, Shooters, Teamwork, Sci-Fi.

Destiny has pretty much been the only thing I've been playing since it's release 2 months ago. It's a shooter that has some RPG and MMO elements. I've broken my review into lists of things I love and hated. Loved: The Raid. - This 6 person, teamwork-oriented mission is one of the most single exhilarating and rewarding things I have
    For fans of Halo, Shooters, Teamwork, Sci-Fi.

Loved:

The Raid. - This 6 person, teamwork-oriented mission is one of the most single exhilarating and rewarding things I have participated in on any console. It was difficult and required a great deal of communication between teammates. I've done it many times since and even though it doesn't change it's still a lot of fun.

Story - The story is actually quite interesting... but the delivery is... located in the next section.

Gameplay - It plays like a typical FPS. The enemies can be tough, the higher tiered weapons are interesting, the character skill trees are diverse and fun to customize.

Hated:

Story Delivery - The story is very poorly delivered and explained. As you complete lesser objectives you unlock "Grimoire" cards which provide a backstory to the universe, however in order to read them you need to go to the Bungie website or download the App.

Grinding - When upgrading your gear to higher levels missions you find yourself needing more materials. It will require you to travel around a planet looking for them. It's not fun, it's a chore. Luckily the Xbox One snap feature allows you to watch Amazon (Netflix?) while you do it. Also being with a group of friends makes it faster and less like a chore but more like hanging out.

All in all I enjoy the game a great deal. It has some issues but nothing is game breaking or infuriating. If I didn't mention it, it's because it never really effects my experienece. I wish more people would give this game, or any game, legit reviews instead of either 0's or 10's. This is certainly neither of the two.
  69. Nov 15, 2014
    It's…not that great. not worth a 0 but not worth the buy. It's eight hours of repetivity with next gen graphics to barely hold it up. You could argue you can do strikes to get more hours in it is still you just doing missions you've already done on harder levels. The level cap is 30. You are not going to have much fun, and it's worth about 20$. Don't buy this game, really. Don't.
  70. Nov 16, 2014
    Okay so i've come back to playing Destiny after a 4 week break. Initially when I first played this game I was loving how it all played. During these initial hours of play, I felt it's quite good. What happens though, after a week or so, the repetition starts to creep in. The "grind" to level up is repetitive.

The positives are the Big Boss sections. Fighting them is excellent when you

The positives are the Big Boss sections. Fighting them is excellent when you first battle them out. You'll love seeing the Sci Fi landscape for the first time too. I also love the way the weapons sound, and the hovering ability feels good too.

As for the negatives. I found I took too long to earn the monetary amounts needed to buy the larger weapons to compete online in PvP. I was only averaging 2 Crucible coins per match. So out of a total of 150 coins needed, I was taking far too long to reach the strongest weapons. I found I was bored with the Crucible coins and the time it took to earn them.

For whatever reason, it feels like there's a "grind" element to most of this game. The interest for me dropped off after a couple of weeks. I can't imagine I'll be sticking around for the expansions to finally be released. When they finally do, the online community may well have moved onto other games.

If you only have a limited budget then this game may be better off bought second hand on the cheap and then re-sold or traded again. Otherwise, this game was best experienced when it first came out.
  71. Nov 16, 2014
    Destiny is amazing as long as you have good taste for a well made game. The guns are balanced, the graphics are Beautiful, and there is unbelievable player diversity! Now don't get me wrong, Destiny is like any other game, it has flaws. I think we can all agree that its story line is abysmal. Other than that I would definitely recommend getting this game! I find it really satisfying toDestiny is amazing as long as you have good taste for a well made game. The guns are balanced, the graphics are Beautiful, and there is unbelievable player diversity! Now don't get me wrong, Destiny is like any other game, it has flaws. I think we can all agree that its story line is abysmal. Other than that I would definitely recommend getting this game! I find it really satisfying to show off my weapons to all my friends who are jealous that they can't get on my level. I HIGHLY recommend keeping this game for the new DLC even if you don't like it. The DLC is going to further explain the story line and keep you engaged. You might be wondering why I did't give this game a 10 if it is as good as I say. It's because Bungie can't explain the disappointing story line that is happening NOW prior to release date. My final rating would be an 8/10 (Above average). Expand
  72. May 7, 2015
    After playing a lot of hours I can say this about Destiny. Terrible AI, boring and repetitive side quests (4 types), no customizing of weapons and armor (changing perks), no open world, tiny maps, the story is really short, a lttle bit confused and absolutely garbage, no background informations, no conversations with NPCs, still contains many bugs and network problems. Only one point forAfter playing a lot of hours I can say this about Destiny. Terrible AI, boring and repetitive side quests (4 types), no customizing of weapons and armor (changing perks), no open world, tiny maps, the story is really short, a lttle bit confused and absolutely garbage, no background informations, no conversations with NPCs, still contains many bugs and network problems. Only one point for the nice graphics. Expand
  73. Nov 26, 2014
    Incredible game. Very clan based hence the negative reviews. If you give this game time you will be gifted with the best game on the next gen. The raids are the best and most enjoyable 1st person experience available on the next gen consoles.
  74. Dec 5, 2014
    (Let me say from the start I was only able to play half of the game because of my slow internet speed the crucible was for the most part unplayable because of the dreaded Bee Error code) Long before I got my first exotic, when I would look at the nightfall and wonder what it would be.. like to do it. Before I attempted the raid or got enough strange coins to buy anything from Xur. Destiny(Let me say from the start I was only able to play half of the game because of my slow internet speed the crucible was for the most part unplayable because of the dreaded Bee Error code) Long before I got my first exotic, when I would look at the nightfall and wonder what it would be.. like to do it. Before I attempted the raid or got enough strange coins to buy anything from Xur. Destiny was a marvel of a game that when I first experienced it a sense of wonder; the lack of information about the story as I played just made me more hungry I thought eventually everything will be explained. Eventually I'll be lvl 26 and can do the raid, eventually I'll be able to experience Destiny, but I then realized watching the end cut scene my hopes of a story that would wrap the whole experience up never happened. I got to lvl 26 I did the raid, which in my opinion was the best part of the entire game, I did the heroic got coins bought exotics, did the nightfall. Week after week I repeated the same process, with no added content even the events were just re-skins of existing armor and had no purpose besides saying you did it. (Thats before Bungie decided to give the Iron Banner armor +30 light even though that didn't help me because trying to play the crucible even after numerous updates was pretty painful experience, in my opinion the reason they added + 30 light armor for iron banner is to nudge people that are still on the fence about the DLC to get it if they hadn't gotten Lvl 30 as of yet through the Venus Raid) Playing the same strikes, doing the same bounties day after day became tiresome. I managed to get a Lvl 29 Titan, Lvl 28 Hunter and a Lvl 26 Warlock I never managed to do hard mode raid nor reach lvl 30. To other people they can put 400 hours into Destiny and never get bored for me I can't do it, I got my money's worth and I am content to stop playing Destiny, and have no interest in DLC. If you like grinding that is most of Destiny's replay-ability so be warned before buying, but if you don't mind doing the same thing over and over then Destiny could be a game for you. Expand
  75. Nov 30, 2014
    To play Destiny is to step into a world of gaming which can quickly become an addiction. The shooting mechanics and gun play on offer are second to none. The visuals and artwork are unparalleled. Repetition does let the game down and there is no getting away from that, but I can't think of the last game, if any, I spent 382 hours logged into. To that effect, whether this game is for you orTo play Destiny is to step into a world of gaming which can quickly become an addiction. The shooting mechanics and gun play on offer are second to none. The visuals and artwork are unparalleled. Repetition does let the game down and there is no getting away from that, but I can't think of the last game, if any, I spent 382 hours logged into. To that effect, whether this game is for you or not, it comes down to individual taste. Any gamer worth their salt should try this game at least once, there is also no better reason than this to buy a current-gent console. Destiny is for me, so far, the defining (and only) decent gaming experience on the new platforms and demands you spend time working at progress. Finally it is worth noting the first few times running the Vault of Glass raid could be some of the best gaming you'll get done in years, and Destiny is equal amounts frustrating and wonderful. To my mind that's what any great game should be. Expand
  76. Dec 28, 2014
    The game storyline was poorly written, and the content becomes quickly boring and hollow. There are so many bugs that occur while executing a raid that it makes it pointless to begin with.
  77. Jan 5, 2015
    An absolutely terrible repatative boring limiting peice of rubbish, but this time coming from BUNGIE! This game suprised most fans, as Bungie had created arguably the best game series of all time (Halo), and then to come with this rubbish, was astonishing. The game works in levels, which isn't always a bad thing, if the levels are not all the same, and frequently spiced up a bit. HoweverAn absolutely terrible repatative boring limiting peice of rubbish, but this time coming from BUNGIE! This game suprised most fans, as Bungie had created arguably the best game series of all time (Halo), and then to come with this rubbish, was astonishing. The game works in levels, which isn't always a bad thing, if the levels are not all the same, and frequently spiced up a bit. However Destiny is not, it's a repetative, kill all enemies then participate with a horde mode (basically you stand there, killing waves of enemies as your ghost repares something), and Bungie, withought fail does this for every single level! Let's talk about the non existant story, which the thing (voiced by Bill Nighy) refuses to tell you, none of the enemy factions have stories, as they did in Halo. The only reason I didn't give this game a 0, is because the visuals, and the soundtrack are some of the best I've ever seen/heard. Save £40 don't buy it! Expand
  78. Jan 5, 2015
    What a disappointment from the lads at bungie. I don't know if there has been the changing of the guard in terms of new staff, or if they were just a one hit (franchise wise) wonder.
    They spent millions of dollars creating a extremely unbalanced, and un-enjoyable game. Yes it is addictive, but you do not enjoy playing it.
    In terms of multi-player, crucible (normal player vs player)
    In terms of multi-player, crucible (normal player vs player) matches are extremely unbalanced. It feels like weapons and armour classes were created by spoiled brats, who just put in whatever they felt like. There is no balance at all. For many of the new players, they will be constantly at a disadvantage until they level up to 28 (ish). The problem is that takes a very very very long time. ANd you need to play a lot of game hours to get enough legendary items and mayble one exotic to be able to compete with the higher level players. This would be fine if there was a more balanced multiplayer versions.
    So players must spend an enormous time doing missions to get better equipment/items. The problem is the missions are extremely repetitive, and all in all very boring.
    All they need to do is fix the multiplayer. Balance out all the weapons and armour. So that it's a completely level playing field. They can have the option for unbalanced games (like the Iron Banner) as well, which would be a good compromise.

Until they fix it, if you want to waste your life, and play an unfair game that only rewards kids who have enough time to dedicate their whole lives to the game, the it's for you. If not, don't waste your money.
  79. Jan 6, 2015
    Beautiful scenery, near perfect gameplay mechanics, awesome PvP, intuitive multiplayer cooperation both on grand and small scales AND your sidekick is voiced by Peter Dinklage?? I could rave about this game for days. Sure some of the stuff you spend hours to get is cosmetic! Sure some of the missions seem minorly repetitive! Cmon' guys! If you didn't care about obtaining useless fictionalBeautiful scenery, near perfect gameplay mechanics, awesome PvP, intuitive multiplayer cooperation both on grand and small scales AND your sidekick is voiced by Peter Dinklage?? I could rave about this game for days. Sure some of the stuff you spend hours to get is cosmetic! Sure some of the missions seem minorly repetitive! Cmon' guys! If you didn't care about obtaining useless fictional objects then you would be outside flying real planes and fighting real enemies. This is a VIDEOGAME. And by god it's a damn entertaining one. So unrustle your jimmies and let the beautiful sounds of Dinklage's voice run through your veins. Yes that's it. Don't you feel better? Expand
  80. Jan 9, 2015
    Great game, is a FPS combined with a MMO. works great until you realize that most MMO have about 20 to 30 times more content and areas to explore. The game progression is based off of grinding and the only way to keep it enjoyable is to play with friends. There is also a lack off different weapons. For being a half a billion title this game should have take more risk in its game designGreat game, is a FPS combined with a MMO. works great until you realize that most MMO have about 20 to 30 times more content and areas to explore. The game progression is based off of grinding and the only way to keep it enjoyable is to play with friends. There is also a lack off different weapons. For being a half a billion title this game should have take more risk in its game design instead of playing every single element safe. Expand
  81. Jan 11, 2015
    Gameplay is uncreative and boring. The story is incomplete and sloppy. The character has no background or connection to the player. Regular disconnection to server. Constant loading screens. No in game matchmaking or communication. The only good thing about this game is the art and environment, which unfortunately not enough to make this game worthy.
  82. Mar 9, 2015
    Greetings fellow Guardians!! What are all of you thinking when playing destiny??? Bungie claims to have worked 5-6 years on this game. A game that is suppose to be an mmorpg. Now let's take a look at what those 5-6 years have brought us. When you venture into the realm that destiny Has to offer; Your immediately captivated by the marvelous display of the landscape and even more so as youGreetings fellow Guardians!! What are all of you thinking when playing destiny??? Bungie claims to have worked 5-6 years on this game. A game that is suppose to be an mmorpg. Now let's take a look at what those 5-6 years have brought us. When you venture into the realm that destiny Has to offer; Your immediately captivated by the marvelous display of the landscape and even more so as you gain progress in story. One Main issue dawns upon the players when they realize there's no chat box to commuicate. The only way to socialize it to add gaurdians to your fireteam(1-6 players at a time). You can see why this Is an issue since the main component in all mmorpgs is the ability to socialize with other players.

Furthermore, there is an extreme lack of story. All role playing games come with a major focus on Lore. Remember when you were young and all you lived to play for were those cutscenes? All you get from destinys story is a few cutscenes with still a major lack of story depth. Bungies response is....oh wait there is none. Bungie continues with the "expansion pack" called Dark Below. Witch does nothing to help the Storyline of this supposedly "Epic" game. Don't get me wrong the game is fun but it comes to end all to quick. You can only do the four same strikes a few times before it just seems repetitive. The loot system is another let down. Its all random based witch evidently makes destiny just more grinding based to get the best Weapons and armor. Bungie is obviously holding back to profit from destiny in the long term.

In Addition, where are all the planets and Galaxy's were going to be traveling to? Destiny as is does not allow us even to explore our suns entire solar system.less when it comes to the planets. We only get access to Earth, the moon, Venus, and Mars. With one medium sized area for each planet. this game has been more of a let down above all. Don't get me started on the tower..not having raid matchmaking is mind boggling. There's no excuse. Yeah its "hard and needs strategy". Thats why a guardian soloed crotas end raid with no guns. Players can manage with a team of strangers. Time has proven so. How did Bungie go from Halos Magnificent story to Destinys major lack of one? There's hardly anything to do beside grinding. Why not add a Sparrow Race Playlist? And a Ship Race Playlist? Why not add to the story to create more things to do in destiny like side quests in addition to the bounties all ready available.

where's the Character Build Up? Every class is practically the same with minor tweaks. levels don't seem to hav much of a purpose besides being able to equip better armor; however, theres hardly anything about the armor that makes your character unique. Take final fantasy for example the range of weapons and armor are so vast no one character looks the same. When you actually play Destiny you keep thinking its going to get better but eventually you find out it never does. You reach level twenty without even knowing who the travelers are or what it is we are fighting against besides there name. even more so when the story mode is completed. This game needs to take tips from fallout and mass effect. Now Bungie is talking about the next "Expansion pack" House Of Wolves. Seriously?? Expansion pack? Compare them to Final Fantasy Expansion packs and they don't even come close. Bungie needs to rename these expansion picks "Add-ons". Bungie releasing the game in portions through DLC is not going to make this game last as long as halo.
  83. Jul 31, 2015
    Destiny - disappointment all the way :-( Graphics are awesome and gun aim, response - great, however the story is really weak. Locations are limited to few landing spaces. Weird combo of demons, aliens and witches are making this entire combo unbelievable and impossible to immerse into proposed world. Lifeless, lack of character and no satisfying achievements makes this game a "destiny forDestiny - disappointment all the way :-( Graphics are awesome and gun aim, response - great, however the story is really weak. Locations are limited to few landing spaces. Weird combo of demons, aliens and witches are making this entire combo unbelievable and impossible to immerse into proposed world. Lifeless, lack of character and no satisfying achievements makes this game a "destiny for boredom". Expand
  84. May 20, 2015
    i personally found this game SO BAD. SOO BADDDDDDDDDDDD. WHY IN THE WORLD(LITERALLY MAKES ME SCREAM) WOULD YOU MAKE SOMEONE GO THROUGH CAMPAIGN BEFORE MULTIPLAYER BUT WAIT, WAIT. THE SAME COMPETITIVE ANNOYNG BORING CAMPAIGN WHERE EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SCAN A COMPUTER AND THEN FIGHT OFF THE WAVES. I JUST WANTED TO FIND A BUTTON TO MAKE THESE WORDS BIGGER BECAUSE I CANT STRESS HOW MAD THISi personally found this game SO BAD. SOO BADDDDDDDDDDDD. WHY IN THE WORLD(LITERALLY MAKES ME SCREAM) WOULD YOU MAKE SOMEONE GO THROUGH CAMPAIGN BEFORE MULTIPLAYER BUT WAIT, WAIT. THE SAME COMPETITIVE ANNOYNG BORING CAMPAIGN WHERE EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SCAN A COMPUTER AND THEN FIGHT OFF THE WAVES. I JUST WANTED TO FIND A BUTTON TO MAKE THESE WORDS BIGGER BECAUSE I CANT STRESS HOW MAD THIS MAKES ME. are you KIDDING ME!?!? please be kidding me because THIS SUCKS. I WANT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER. I COULD UNDERSTAND IF YOURE CAMPIAIGN HAD A CENTIMETER OF CREATIVITY but forcing me to go through the WORST CAMPAIGN KNOWN TO MAN?? Expand
  85. Oct 22, 2015
    Ahh...Destiny, the game that attempts to be everything, for everyone. When you take each element of the game by itself, the shooting, the collectibles, the daily grind with little show for it, and most of all the horrendous story, you get a game that comes short on every front.

However, Destiny is the best at one thing, and that is being the best game for our time, the game we deserve the most, as it was a overblown overhyped product designed by committee, and should stand side by side with the soulless Prius as champions of this boring, passionless age.
  86. Mar 24, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bungie were adamant from the beginning that this game was not like an mmorpg and they were right. Bungie has a randomised loot system and no way to grind or farm for better gear instead you get to spend hundreds of hours replaying the same mind numbing strikes over and over hoping that you get a new weapon with the perks you want but that never really happens. Bungie to their credit have fixed some of the major flaws within the game despite taking over a year to actually address some issues present since launch. They were relatively quick to fix legendary engrams giving players materials or rares of course this is relative to the time it took them to fix shotguns in the multiplayer. Bungie keep claiming that they're releasing new content when really its the same strike just on a different section of a map or going the opposite way from another strike. The taken were the only really new enemies that were not just a reskin as they do have their own unique abilities no matter how spammable and annoying they are. The loot system in destiny is its major problem and has been since launch. Bungie have nerfed or removed every location where people could grind for engrams to try and force people to play the game fully unfortunately playing the game fully is no less tedious than sitting in front of the loot cave and holding down the trigger for hours. The strikes feel bland and unexciting by the second play through the only bearable strikes are ones where the boss isn't a massive bullet sponge who can just take sniper shot after sniper shot from your full fire team and that can be done fairly quickly. Unfortunately these strikes are few and far between and all have been left behind with the release of the taken king. Bungie have claimed to have a system in place that the game is less likely to give you an exotic you already have from an engram when you decrypt it but when you've gotten the same exotic 3/4 times you really begin to doubt that this is the case. The "story" of destiny I've always felt was extremely poor from the voice acting being beyond terrible to the mindless killing of enemies for no real reason. The year one version of the game with no DLC has possibly the worst story of any AAA title ever to be released, even calling it a story is a stretch. The reason for killing everything that moves in the game is to stop the darkness but the darkness is never explained. At the end of the game you have an extremely underwhelming fight against a giant floating black "heart" where all you do is kill the statues it brought to life and this somehow kills it? The taken king does a better job of actually forming some coherent story that is actually a story rather than your murderous adventure across the solar system where you watch your white orb shoot lasers at electronics until you kill the correct amount of enemies for the game to proceed. The game always tells you to protect the ghost but all the enemies completely ignore it and charge you until you've killed a sufficient amount, whether it takes you 2 minutes to kill the enemies or 20 the game wont progress because somehow the hacking speed of the ghost is directly related to how swiftly you can murder aliens. I would like to see a timer rather than just having to kill a certain amount of enemies or at the very least for the ghost to say "I'm in you just need to clear the area and we can proceed". I can appreciate them not having the ghost be the target while it hacks as this could make some nightfall strikes unnecessarily difficult to do solo but the ghost could say something to the effect of protect yourself while I hack instead of cover me.

The multiplayer has always been a part of destiny I never really enjoyed at first I thought it was okay but then as people got to higher levels and got better drops the shotguns with absurdly long ranges began to appear and ran rampant through the multiplayer for over a year. I personally don't like the use of the supers in multiplayer as it feels too easy for some one to come around a corner and panic super but considering everyone has access to the supers I'm not too bothered by them. I feel as though destiny would benefit from some form of skill based searching as there are far too many games where you either completely destroy the other team or you get destroyed and neither instance is fun.
  87. Sep 27, 2014
    Absolutely terrible game. Amazing graphics, truly awesome soundtrack, but all wasted. There is absolutely no story told in game. No one tells us what really is going on and why. The game feels like a huge grind for loot and exp but even that is repetitive and gets boring quickly. I felt like an idiot wasting time by grinding to max level. The reason why this game is so moronic, is probablyAbsolutely terrible game. Amazing graphics, truly awesome soundtrack, but all wasted. There is absolutely no story told in game. No one tells us what really is going on and why. The game feels like a huge grind for loot and exp but even that is repetitive and gets boring quickly. I felt like an idiot wasting time by grinding to max level. The reason why this game is so moronic, is probably that developers are planning on milking the genre by moving the actual content to the expansion packs. Expand
  88. Sep 13, 2014
    Destiny is yet another game this year that fell victim to being overhyped. It may glorify the fact it received 180 award and nominations pre release but this means absolutely nothing. The game itself is not a bad game, but it is a forgettable one which will probably only be remembered as the first average game from an otherwise master developer Bungie. The positives are that the game looksDestiny is yet another game this year that fell victim to being overhyped. It may glorify the fact it received 180 award and nominations pre release but this means absolutely nothing. The game itself is not a bad game, but it is a forgettable one which will probably only be remembered as the first average game from an otherwise master developer Bungie. The positives are that the game looks gorgeous and the design is incredible, the gameplay is solid for the most part and the guns good. The cons however are numerous. The story is boring and feels tacked on. The multiplayer element never feels that great, honestly the most multiplayer I got was seeing a player run past me on the same map. There is no real encouragement to work together other than in the firefight modes. The map size is also far smaller than you would expect and being told to 'turn around' is annoying. Frustratingly I was kicked out of the servers multiple times which is something I do hope Bungie addresses soon. All in all Destiny is an average to good game with potential that is never met. If bungie makes a sequel I hope they do a way better job. Expand
  89. Oct 6, 2014
    Well, another let down from the wonderful world of video games and the PAID critics who hype it up.

Clunky action, enormous visual impairing weapons...really, it's Halo repackaged, nothing else. Not the 'revolutionary' game, 'exciting, stunning' game all these paid shills for the video game industry claim it to be. To repeat...wow, it's so bad I totally forgot the name of the

To repeat...wow, it's so bad I totally forgot the name of the game...oh Destiny....Destiny = Halo. So thnk Halo and you've got Destiny...and that is BEYOND sad.

Story is so disjointed and hard to follow...I'm at level 6 and still don't understand what the F is up.

Basically, ONE huge map...oh sorry wait...think Halo roofied World of Warcraft at a Frat party and was drunk itself so no good came of that messy, hazy night.

It's so bad, I can't stop talking about how bad it is...in fact, like how Trey Parker and Matt Stoen poised the age old question, 'Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?' yeah so 'Why do the tired old dinosaurs get to keep on churning out such frivolous crap?'. I mean the industry is SO bad now, they have to pay these critics triple what they use to get just to keep a straight face.

Oh yeah and seriously, don't buy this game.
  90. Sep 13, 2014
    So after playing Destiny for about 10 hours straight and making it to lvl ten I've gotta say so far i'm a bit underwhelmed. It's fun and plays well but there is not enough interaction with other people. It's like mmo light. Sometimes you run into people in the world but never is there a compelling reason to group "nor is there an easy way to do so" and with no chat options to at least haveSo after playing Destiny for about 10 hours straight and making it to lvl ten I've gotta say so far i'm a bit underwhelmed. It's fun and plays well but there is not enough interaction with other people. It's like mmo light. Sometimes you run into people in the world but never is there a compelling reason to group "nor is there an easy way to do so" and with no chat options to at least have some kind of in game community I can see myself getting really bored really fast once i hit max lvl.

I find myself having the most fun during the very few missions so far that actually forces you to group with others. But the story mode is pretty boring alone. They really REALLY need to have some kind of in game chat AND an ingame group finder for ALL missions even if it's restricted to just the town there has to be something or they might as well have made this a single player game. The thing that really irks me is this game has so much **** potential but they flubbed it where it counts.
  91. Sep 29, 2014
    I would first like to say that I have bought everything that Bungie has put out for consoles. I started with Halo and the last title I bought before Destiny was Halo: Reach. I am not a "hater" of all things Bungie. I played the Destiny beta for Xbox One, and decided it was worth dropping money on. LIttle did I know the connection issues and lackluster story would sour my view of the gameI would first like to say that I have bought everything that Bungie has put out for consoles. I started with Halo and the last title I bought before Destiny was Halo: Reach. I am not a "hater" of all things Bungie. I played the Destiny beta for Xbox One, and decided it was worth dropping money on. LIttle did I know the connection issues and lackluster story would sour my view of the game so drastically. I have also played World of Warcraft, League of legends, and other MMOs. I really enjoy when there is some reward for defeating a huge difficult boss. I enjoyed the constant gun fights in Borderlands, and the rewards for beating difficult bosses. Do you see where I am going with this? I played until I reached level 22, and decided I would not waste any more time. I had already wasted significant time trying to score loot for light to upgrade my character. After playing raids for three days trying to score legendary engrams, I decided enough was enough. I contacted Amazon and returned the game for a full refund. Now, I have a problem with Bungie. Their arrogance in addressing the connectivity issue was ridiculous. I have taken countless courses on connectivity and networking, and understand that connections to servers are tedious to maintain. What I dont like is when our concerns are downplayed as "our problem." I could not stay connected to the game for more than ten minutes at a time for the first week. I tried to suffer through in hopes that this was a system wide issue of the game coming out and the servers having issues maintaining the load. Instead, I realized that my sister who bought the game for Playstation 4 had no such problems. She had minor connectivity issues but they were resolved very quickly. So, I began looking into this and discovered that Bungie had most likely devoted most of their time to the Playstation network framework and not Xbox live. The Xbox and their oppressive nature must have gotten someone's panties in a wad over at Bungie so they decided to give Xbox users the big middle finger. Good luck with your endeavors, Bungie. As for me, I won't buy another Bungie game ever again. Expand
  92. Sep 23, 2014
    Nothing special. 0 thru 5 ok. you hit level 10 you think this game might be something. by 15 it starts to get old. you hit 20 the game is over.the rest is repetitive. why am I collecting high power weapons the game is over. and that was all in 2 days. multiplayer is same as halo.
  93. Sep 27, 2014
    This game is the biggest disappointment that I can remember, I cannot believe spending 89.- on something like this, enough that I will never buy a game from Activision or Bungie on day 1 without checking review scores first.
    The campaign was a forgettable, boring experience. There is no story, no caracters and no lore. You just shoot random aliens, protect your ghost for a few minutes while shooting aliens, then the next mission begins with the same thing.
    The fighting itself was enjoyable, but it felt pointless, like a very polished browser game with no meat to the bone. There is no charm to this game and it felt like not even the developers gave love to this game, judged on how this game feels.
    I like the idea of a mmo shooter with loot to collect and progression, and this part of the game works quite well, but the abysmal campaign really destroys it for me. If the campaign was something completely different, it could have been a very good game. Now its just one forgettable shooter more.
  94. Sep 15, 2014
    Quick version: Basically if you haven't purchased this game, don't worry about it. Play Halo and you'd have played the Destiny multiplayer. Looking for a sci-fi universe filled with great detail and characters you can relate to and grow to love, play a game like Mass Effect. Want to gain crazy loot, play Borderlands. Want to play an MMO, play WoW. Otherwise, if you're looking for theseQuick version: Basically if you haven't purchased this game, don't worry about it. Play Halo and you'd have played the Destiny multiplayer. Looking for a sci-fi universe filled with great detail and characters you can relate to and grow to love, play a game like Mass Effect. Want to gain crazy loot, play Borderlands. Want to play an MMO, play WoW. Otherwise, if you're looking for these elements in Destiny, you WILL BE LET DOWN

Long version: Destiny definitely did not live up to the hype. For starters, I don't think there is anyone who truly knows what is going on in the game, unless they have gone and researched it- which should not be the case. I learned nothing more about the Destiny universe than I already knew going into the game. The story mode was (to me) worse than Titanfall which some would say didnt have one at all. The whole "Go here and do this and return" aspect of missions grew old and after a while my sole reason of playing was to level up and find rare armor and play in the Crucible (pvp matches). I was let down into thinking I would relive the glory of a sci-fi game like Mass Effect which entrenched you in a universe where you grew to love characters and could lose yourself in its story... Destiny failed miserably to do that.
    When it comes to multiplayer it shines, because Destiny is meant to be played with friends. The hordes of enemies need to be precisely chopped down and the best way is with friends whom you can communicate with. PVP matches however get repetitive, mostly because everyone is balanced. If I knew I could be killed by a level 5 when I am a 24, I wouldnt have made the effort to improve. Sure abilities can be improved but your armor and weapons dont have the same effect as they do in the story mode, which is a real let down.

I'll end it here. Basically if you haven't purchased this game, don't worry about it. Play Halo and you'd have played the Destiny multiplayer. Looking for a sci-fi universe filled with great detail and characters you can relate to and grow to love, play a game like Mass Effect. Want to gain crazy loot, play Borderlands. Want to play an MMO, play WoW. Otherwise, if you're looking for these elements in Destiny, you WILL BE LET DOWN
  95. Sep 26, 2014
    Not enough content, bad loot system, and awful communication in the game. Story is awful!!!!

I wish this game was better and actually had people think it through before launch.
  96. Sep 16, 2014
    The Great: Incredibly beautiful maps, a very compelling leveling and upgrading system. Some of the best graphics I've seen so far for the Xbox One(but I have to wonder if they were scaled down to allow for a last-gen release as well). Easy to join up with other players for strike (co-op) missions and a good variety of multiplayer. The lore is also pretty interesting, though you have toThe Great: Incredibly beautiful maps, a very compelling leveling and upgrading system. Some of the best graphics I've seen so far for the Xbox One(but I have to wonder if they were scaled down to allow for a last-gen release as well). Easy to join up with other players for strike (co-op) missions and a good variety of multiplayer. The lore is also pretty interesting, though you have to dig for it outside of the game(why Bungie?). All around very fun gameplay with solid FPS mechanics. About a dozen hours in and I'm still having a lot of fun although there is definitely a Grind aspect to this. Public events appearing out of nowhere are very exciting and fun to experience as strangers in the map come together to beat down an enemy.

The Okay: A bland soundtrack that sounds like they hired someone and told him to sound like Marty O'Donnell(The composer for the Halo series), and the composer just fell flat. Some of the music is nice, but over all not really worthy of the first chapter of the series. The first playthrough of the game was shockingly easy for a veteran FPS gamer like me, but they do give you the ability to up the difficulty. The enemy AI could have been more compelling, rather than just "walk around, peak out of cover for 2 seconds before shooting". Yeah its an over simplification but essentially the enemies don't use much in the way of tactics to provide a good challenge, rather they rely on becoming bullet sponges with hire difficulty, bosses especially. The addition of vehicles is nice(and it is fun to run around in your personally little speeder bike) but there is a sense they held back heavily on including much in the way of vehicles(which begs the question, as always, why are wars of the future fought with small arms, oh well its fun I guess). Same with the guns, of which there's a good amount but it could have stood for more variety.

The Really Bad: The wonderfully expansive lore is over shadowed by a terribly shallow story. Two dimensional NPCs that aren't given much of an opportunity to express themselves and become interesting characters. Peter Dinklage, who I love as an actor, gives such a stale performance I have to wonder if he was given ANY direction. Missions that are as uninspired as the story telling(or lack thereof), with objectively almost always being "guard this area while waves of enemies come in".

Conclusion: Definitely worth it, I truly hope Bungie and Activation make vast improvements to the next game in the series. It makes me sad to think how much money they spent on marketing and spreading the hype for this game when those resources could have gone to making a rock solid game. It's a very fun, well polished shooter without question, but there's a lot things that took me out of the moment so I will never call this game a masterpiece, and will approach future titles in this franchise with skepticism. People who give it a 0 or a 10 are not being honest, as it does some things really great, and some things really poorly.

Bottom Line: Quite fun, but don't expect it to live up to the hype. Not by a long shot.
  97. Sep 27, 2014
    I went stupid and pre ordered a game again, you should never pre order any game no metter which it is. This one lacks so much in contant only because they plan on releasing the rest in their DLC which we will have to pay alot for again.

As for next gen, how? It is a compy of Warframe, this game brings nothing we havent seen before, those douchebags sure know how to advertise.
  98. Sep 23, 2014
    SAVE YOUR MONEY.... Wow.. Let me start by saying XBOX owes Bungie alot and lets face it Bungie owes Microsoft everything.. I watched a video (55 Mins) from Bungie and they stated they were would of went out of business if Microsoft didn't save them.. The whole time at Microsoft Bungie cried and said they wanted to be independent (which they couldn't because they already failed on their ownSAVE YOUR MONEY.... Wow.. Let me start by saying XBOX owes Bungie alot and lets face it Bungie owes Microsoft everything.. I watched a video (55 Mins) from Bungie and they stated they were would of went out of business if Microsoft didn't save them.. The whole time at Microsoft Bungie cried and said they wanted to be independent (which they couldn't because they already failed on their own and MS save them) and make creative games and not Halo... so what did they do they made Destiny a halo clone... A very repetitive Halo clone... This game is not worth $60 you are 2 games away from bankruptcy and I for one can't wait to see it happen... You had a great thing at Microsoft and you blew it for greed... You said it was to be creative... Is destiny creative? No freaking way... Expand
  99. Sep 17, 2014
    It's fun. It's polished. I've never bought a game for the story line, so the thin background is not an issue for me. This is a shooter with a great system for leveling and advancing, and it reminds me a little of Guild Wars 2 with the personal loot stream and public events. Also I don't like having a quest hub, and turning in your quests - so Bungie got that part right, too. The PvEIt's fun. It's polished. I've never bought a game for the story line, so the thin background is not an issue for me. This is a shooter with a great system for leveling and advancing, and it reminds me a little of Guild Wars 2 with the personal loot stream and public events. Also I don't like having a quest hub, and turning in your quests - so Bungie got that part right, too. The PvE portion is great partly because the enemies are smart. PvP is also a blast because the guardians are pretty balanced. I played the beta and the released version addressed all the things that annoyed me - like broken party chat - and I'm delighted with the launch. Expand
  100. Sep 23, 2014
    I like this game. I like the fact you can have a single player campaign and also try out multiplayer when you want to. I also like that there will be more DLC available.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Nov 8, 2014
    It's a slick, mechanically sound, and lavishly produced shooter that uses beauty to try and mask the potentially great but uninspired gameplay inside. [Issue#117, p.62]
  2. Oct 21, 2014
    Destiny feels like the key elements of an FPS and an MMO gently resting shoulder to shoulder, instead of being fused together in a truly creative way. It plays and looks great, and offers many, many hours of entertainment to anyone okay with repeating the same tasks, but it isn’t exactly the game-changing science fiction epic we felt it was aspiring to.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 16, 2014
    An ambitious if repetitive combination of shooter and loot based ARPG. A boost in loot drop frequency could definitely boost the fun/score. [Issue#254, p.47]