Killer Instinct Xbox One

6.2

1. Nov 22, 2013
    FINALLY! My favorite game of all time has come back! This game is the reason why I bought my xbox one! I used to play this game on my Nintendo until now! This game brings me back to the days when fighting games Were fun! I bought the full game and I haven't looked back since in fact I play this game more than any game that I bought on Xbox 1! Easy to pick up but hard to master just likeFINALLY! My favorite game of all time has come back! This game is the reason why I bought my xbox one! I used to play this game on my Nintendo until now! This game brings me back to the days when fighting games Were fun! I bought the full game and I haven't looked back since in fact I play this game more than any game that I bought on Xbox 1! Easy to pick up but hard to master just like the original! And must buy Xbox 1 game! The only people say something bad about this game or Playstation fanboys trolling because its not on their system! Buy it buy it buy it And I'll meet you online! ULTRA COOMMBOOO! Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    People tend to mix up their fighters and not understanding the underlying concepts in a fighting game(truthfully there are some I'm still trying to grasp myself), the truth of the matter is fighting games are more akin to RTS than any other gaming genre things like spacing, resource management, frame data, hit/hurt boxes, move properties all come into effect during the match.The pricingPeople tend to mix up their fighters and not understanding the underlying concepts in a fighting game(truthfully there are some I'm still trying to grasp myself), the truth of the matter is fighting games are more akin to RTS than any other gaming genre things like spacing, resource management, frame data, hit/hurt boxes, move properties all come into effect during the match.The pricing model of Killer Instinct is also similar to an RTS, being free to download with a single character(I believe there are plans to rotate this character to diversify the experience),buying individual characters if you already know what you want with no further expense, the combo breaker pack being $20 US includes all of the season 1 cast of 8 characters(6 at launch),for the true killer instinct fans there's th $40US Ultra pack including all of the cast,classic costume,ports of the original Killer Instinct Arcade game with its set of achievements(versions 1.4 and 1.5).Similar to RTS games like LoL and Dota, the base of KI will be used as a platform to expand the current roster.As for gameplay mechanics, the game has a solid neutral game and footsies,extensive data available for those willing to put in lab time, uses Rollback netcode similar to Skullgirls giving it a smooth online playing experience,controls are tight but accessible to those new to fighting games, while running at a solid 60fps allowing this game to have 1 frame links called manuals(more advanced than the usual method of attack) which are extremely difficult to break on reaction. It encourages players to make it a battle of wits rather than a battle of dexterity, while there is still skill needed it encourages players by rewarding them when they get a good read(the combo breaker/counter breaker/shadow breaker/shadow counter mechanics) and doesn't penalize newcomers to fighting games.If you have a Xbox One at launch I would recommend picking up this game with the price($20US) and the size(approx 3GB),this revival of an old Rare IP stays true to its roots while building a strong foundation.My only gripes are the limited roster at launch however with a full roster I could see this game easily being a 9.5 and it's one of the best games available in the store at launch, if anything download for free and form an opinion of it yourself. In conclusion, the future looks bright for Killer Instinct,with its intuitive combat design, in-depth training mode and buttery smooth online play,it only needs fleshing out the roster and additional single player, I heavily suggest you pick up this title. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    I'm digging the combat not too scrub friendly, but not too hard at entry level.Good connections (heard it uses rollback gg),nothing game breaking at launch,small roster right now. One thing i noticed dynamic music (really cranks up when you're in danger,between rounds),rounds similar to Injustice or rather Injustice has one similar to this game.I'd pick it up from the MS store.
  5. Dec 11, 2014
    This game was the reason I bought an XboxONE last year. I have been a fan of killer instinct since the first game, which i played on SNES. I have fond memories of that little black cartridge, me making up nonsense lyrics for Orchid's theme, and me smashing buttons and managing an ultra combo with cinder (how the hell did i do that?). I got KI2 on N64 and for a goo, what, 15 years? I waitedThis game was the reason I bought an XboxONE last year. I have been a fan of killer instinct since the first game, which i played on SNES. I have fond memories of that little black cartridge, me making up nonsense lyrics for Orchid's theme, and me smashing buttons and managing an ultra combo with cinder (how the hell did i do that?). I got KI2 on N64 and for a goo, what, 15 years? I waited for a sequel. When KI was announced for XB1, I flipped. Then I played the game and was immediately transported back to KI1.

I honestly don't understand the hatred this game receives. I really don't.

I read reviews complaining the game is nothing like the original, and then in the same breath, that the game copies the fighting mechanic from the first game. One reviewer on this site wrote: "The gameplay is straight out of 1997--nothing new here." But in the previous sentence, s/he says that the game is nothing like the originals.

What?

I hate dubstep. I am ashamed whenever I hear it. But Killer Instinct's soundtrack makes me change my mind. Each of the new tracks I hear has some piece of the original songs. What's even more impressive: I believe no one from the original series worked on this new kI, and yet they still managed to capture that sound that the original games had. That shows you how much time and energy the developers actually put into playing the original games (or at least researching).

The characters I will agree do not look as flashy and sexy as, say, the new ones in MKX. However, I think they look way better than the characters in SF4. I'm sorry, at least Jago doesn't look like this thighs are bigger than his head. Can anyone honestly say that they like the SF4 character models better than KI's? Seriously?

The combo system in this game is SO addictive. I've fought against a guy who did a triple/230 hit ultra combo against me. Then I discover that that is incredibly difficult to do--it takes a bit of practice. It's so fun to watch/play against someone who really knows what theyre doing in this game. I think the combos look energetic, fun, dynamic, and aggressive. Again, the sound! The sound effects in this game are top notch. Ultra combo hits make their own music! Navigating the menus echoes the KI1 theme! WTF this game is freaking cool.

C-C-C-COUNTER BREAKER. ULTRA! all of that mess is back, and better, in my opinion.

The pricing model that the game works on is what I enjoy. Many game companies nowadays are releasing incomplete games (Destiny, for example, which I love, mind you), and then charging for DLC not months after the incomplete game is released. I've never played such an honest and friendly game. I really feel like the developers listen to fans and aren't trying to gouge them for money every chance they get. Sure, there are microtransactions, but they do have to make money somehow on the game. They release an incomplete game, and instead of forcing me to pay 60 bucks for it, they say: here, pay 5 bucks per character, or 20 bucks per season, and we'll keep you updated on when new seasons and characters and game modes come out. How friendly is that? I love it.

The new season changes and improvements tell me that the developers are truly devoted to fans. Kan-ra is so freaking cool. Cinder is back. Riptor. TJ combo. And they are adding new females (ARIA, one of the few female bosses in fighting games I can think of).

The UI is sick. I love it. I disagree with the people who think it looks blocky. Check out the small details on Fulgore's costume design. Each color has a different emblem (xbox, double helix, rareware).

I honestly feel like there are people who just don't want to like this game, and then they come up with excuses as to why it's bad. Seriously, some people think this is on the same level of bad as RISE OF THE ROBOTS? are you kidding me? go home with that mess.

do you know what this game would look like if it were *actually* bad?

It would crash every fight (I don't think I've EVER gotten disconnected from a fight in this game; compare that to SCV which drops me if my connection goes below a 3). Battles would lag so much you'd get intimate with Orchid real fast. The game would be broken in deep ways: combos wouldn't connect because of balancing issues; one character could beat the rest because with relative ease since he has a move that was OP. The soundtrack could have NOTHING to do with the original KI games. The storyline wouldn't even mention ultratech. Do you see where I'm going here? Do we now know what is truly a bad game? Class dismissed.

Seriously, for everyone who hopped up here and gave the game a ZERO (*facepalm*, seriously, again, a zero? that's reserved for games that don't even boot up properly), why don't you carefully remove your head from your rear end and go play it again.
  6. Feb 11, 2015
    So much fun! and the fighting mechanics is incredible! I prefer this game and it's season DLC over MK9. So glad they never gave up on this game and keep supporting it.
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    While six characters seems short on content it actually proved beneficial. All characters are unique with their own playstyle and since there are so few it's easy to learn to play as and against them all making fights all the more intense. Worth it for any fighter fan.
  8. Feb 21, 2014
    I would normally not even bother writing a review for a game let alone giving a game a 10. This game though is amazing.
    The game is friendly to newer players who might not be great at fighting games. They are able to jump right in and have a great time. This game has the best training that I have ever seen in a fighting game. It teaches you basics so that you can play any fighting game not just this one.

The combat system is really great! There is something for everyone! Mind games, combos, combo breakers, bluffs etc!
    This game has it all! ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Mar 24, 2014
    one word review, amazing, plus you get the classic version of the KI when u buy the Ultra edition. I can not put this game down. Takes me back to the 90's all over again.
  10. Feb 8, 2014
    Excellent game with get up and go capabilities! Top of the line fighter! What i really thought was a cool feature ,is by this game being on the hard drive i can watch tv, on commercials snap tv , and pkay a couple rounds of killer instinct. Totally sweet. All the characters are cool, no filler all killer
  11. Feb 13, 2014
    This is how you continue a game. I played the originals and loved them! But this, this is a work of art:

Graphically this game is amazing, all the particle effects look awesome and don't distract enough to keep you focused on those combos with the high resolution stages and at a locked 60FPS that's just to marvel at. The speed of combat when compared to the originals, makes the

The speed of combat when compared to the originals, makes the originals look like playing a chess game without the clock. I though KI was fast originally, but this games has caused me the inability to play the original, simply because the speed comparison is so radical!

The re-imagining of the characters are beautifully done, Spinal now looks like an undead nightmare and not some generic skeleton (Not that I'm complaining as the tech at the time of the original wouldn't allow for an amazingly detailed character).

The online, the ping is amazing! There is that occasion of a lagging match, but 90% of the time it is just so seemingly lag free I forget I'm playing online!

I only have one complain and that's the lack of story mode, but which KI had a story mode? This is a game I am looking forward to seeing develop! The Speed, The Graphics, The Pure Sheer Awesomeness that is: "KILLER INSTINCT!"
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    This game has amazing netcode, there's no lag at all. It's very responsive, addictive, and matches are very exciting. I've been playing for hours and my thumbs are sore.

I play with the D-Pad, because the fight stick is super expensive, I'm not getting it, lol. You can pull most of the combos with the pad anyways
  13. May 26, 2014
    This game was awesome! The announcer Ranging from DOUBLE to ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! makes you feel like you accomplished something. Also the characters have great new designs, Graphics are great, a bit hard to figure out at first but then you get the hang of the combos. This game is worth the money
  14. Oct 20, 2014
    Killer Instinct is EXACTLY how Modern Fighters should feel! I won't lie: I bought an Xbox One exclusively for this game. As a diehard Nintendo fanboy, I've grown up with Jago, Orchid, Glacius and rest. But, those games didn't age too well. Choppy animations, Cookie Cutter characters (everyone throws fireballs, has a Dragon Uppercut, ect ect), and lack of replay value.

KI 3 (as I'll call

KI 3 (as I'll call the X1 version) takes the game mechanics and refines them to perfection. Attacks, Specials, Combos, and Combo Breakers make up the essentials of the fights. Shadow meters build and allow for super charged attacks with various benefits. There is a Rock, Paper, Scissor system under the hood that makes the game a giant mind game against your opponent. Do you go for a manual combo (harder to pull off but harder to break)? Or a quick and easy less damaging combo? What about a few fireballs at a distance to dram them in, then get them with an Shadow Opener?

Game Modes are: Arcade (with 3 endings per character), VS (online and off), Training Dojo (Boot Camp), Practice, and Survival.

Items can be unlocked for character customization to add flair.

All this for $20. This is an INSANE deal for fighting fans. Next Gen graphics, gameplay, and characters that all have different play styles.

A Must Buy for any X1 owner
  15. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AMAZING!!!!! C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!Gorgeous graphics, solid 60 fps, very well refurbished characters I hope very much for arcade mode and Fulgore and Spinal. Besides simply FANTASTIC Expand
  16. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely incredible. One of the best fighting games to be released in the last 10 years. The core fighting engine is solid and addicting and the game will only get better over time.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a very competent fighter. First off give it a try (it's free to play-one character) and try the Dojo mode FIRST. After completing some of the challenges you will start to feel like a serious badass, with some combo skills to boot. DON'T BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS FROM PLAYSTATION FANS THAT NEVER PLAYED IT. Every Xbox One owner will own this game in whole or part, and it's a greatThis is a very competent fighter. First off give it a try (it's free to play-one character) and try the Dojo mode FIRST. After completing some of the challenges you will start to feel like a serious badass, with some combo skills to boot. DON'T BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS FROM PLAYSTATION FANS THAT NEVER PLAYED IT. Every Xbox One owner will own this game in whole or part, and it's a great way to spend a few minutes here and there. Easy to pick up (after learning the basics) but rewarding to master. I tried this game pre release at an xbox event and was beaten down terribly, but now that I've had a chance to spend time with it I have really enjoyed my time with it.The audience is going to be huge and support will be around forever due to the free to play model. Stop reading this and download it! Expand
  18. Jun 14, 2015
    Best game ever! FINALLY! My favorite ip of all time has come back! I play this game more than any fighting before! This game is the reason why I bought my xbox one!
  19. Nov 22, 2013
    The game shows promise to be tournament material. The pro's will embrace it because it's game mechanics are suitable for pro play, advanced play and also casuals will have at their disposal a complete tutorial (in fact one of the best tutorials in FG history) to dive deeper into KI's mechanics. The combo system is more flexible than ever, and the gameplay is fast and eye-catching.The game shows promise to be tournament material. The pro's will embrace it because it's game mechanics are suitable for pro play, advanced play and also casuals will have at their disposal a complete tutorial (in fact one of the best tutorials in FG history) to dive deeper into KI's mechanics. The combo system is more flexible than ever, and the gameplay is fast and eye-catching.

Players who played the original games back in 1995, will have their hands full because there's plenty of throwbacks and fan service for them (Shall them purchase the Ultra version for 40$) Unlockable classic music, costumes,(! and the original emulated Killer Instinct 1! as a stand alone download).

The game's business model will have it in constant expansion, with the inclusion of story mode later this year with season 2 (circa the end of May-July) adding eight more characters (both classic and new) and fatalities, stage knockoffs, and probably online play for emulated 1994's Killer Instinct.

Pros:
    The free version rotates it's free character so you will eventually try them all. The free version also has all game modes available.
    If you are not into unlockables and classic stuff, the 20$ edition is almost a steal. 8 characters, tutorial mode, all game modes
    Fast, vibrant gameplay for casuals, advanced, and pro's. Adictive, you will stack dozens of matches and you'll come back for more.

Cons:
    Limited roster at launch
    Graphics are OK, many eye candy visual effects but not really next-gen material. May improve in the future.
    Limited game modes (they will be added later)
    40$ version is a bit expensive for the amount of content it provides ATM.
  20. Nov 22, 2013
    Most important, this game runs at 60fps!!! Great fluid gameplay, and a nice tournament style of play. For me I LOVED the original, so this gave me my fix. Looking forward to getting TJ Combo, or Spinal in the future. How fired up is "COUNTER-BREAKER!!!"
  21. Nov 23, 2013
    Best netcode in a fighting game so far meaning great online play. Beautifully animated smooth 60fps. Impressive particle effects/rain etc. Dynamic music reacts to what is happening on screen. Dynamic lighting.

The combo system is brilliant instead of mvc3 where you are stuck hoping your opponent drops their combo it is a continuous battle between you testing both mind games and reactions do you go for the more easily breakable autodouble that is easy damage or go for the manual combo that is hard to break but requires tighter timing do you go light attack for easier to pull off or heavy for more damage do you cash out your combo now or keep going for even more damage do you not continue your combo as you anticipate their combo breaker and instead do a counter breaker it's just genius and is going to be so hype in competitions! =)

All characters are very unique and at the moment seem viable. Each has their own instinct power that does a unique thing for each character as well such as life steal traps armor etc.

You can still move between rounds which adds another element to the game and doesn't automatically cause issues with balance for zoning champs.
    So much in this game is done right yes there may be only 6 characters right now but more are on their way and each of those characters is amazing.

This game takes everything that is good about mvc3 hype and combos and streetfighter footsies and adds new stuff on top of it.

An amazing dojo training system that teachers new players fundamentals. I've tried to get into fighting games in the past and really struggled this has really helped me understand so much, not just in this game but in all fighting games.

It's free to try out the whole game with Jago so there is no excuse give it a try now and don't miss out on the best fighting game I've ever played.

Cheers for reading.
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    It has almost been 20 years since the first Killer Instinct was released. The wait is finally over. A new Killer Instinct game is finally here. Killer Instinct at it's core, is all about the gameplay. I am happy to say the attention Double Helix paid to this game is admirable. The music composed by Mick Gordon is amazing and plays a tribute to the past while clashing with a modern sound.It has almost been 20 years since the first Killer Instinct was released. The wait is finally over. A new Killer Instinct game is finally here. Killer Instinct at it's core, is all about the gameplay. I am happy to say the attention Double Helix paid to this game is admirable. The music composed by Mick Gordon is amazing and plays a tribute to the past while clashing with a modern sound. Below I listed the good points and bad points along with my overall verdict of the game.

The Good:
    -It is fun!
    -Gameplay filled with nostalgia, twisted mind games, and rewards
    -Music is awesome
    -KI teaches and tailors how to play fighting games for the new or advanced player
    -Customization for characters & Original KI Skins (Coming Soon!)
    -Original Announcer is back(Awesome Victories sound awesome)
    -The game will grow with time (Characters, Story Mode, No Mercies, Humiliations)
    -Ultraaaaaa and CCCombo Breakers are back!!
    -Game Records your matches and allows playing frame by frame or in slow motion
    -Entire game for free w/Jago, $20 for game and all characters, $40 for game, characters, accessories, original KI Skins, and the original KI game for XONE.
    -In Game Unlockables (Not Free-to-Play)

The Bad:
    -Waiting for the story mode, characters(Spinal Fulfore, but they are coming!!!), original KI skins, no mercies, humiliations and season 2

The Verdict: If you are a fan of Killer Instinct, you will love this game. This game was made from longtime fans of KI who are paying a wonderful respectable tribute to the original team of Rare who developed the original KI. Double Helix cares about the fans, respects KI, and is very involved with the KI community. The Original creator of KI, Ken Lobb was heavily involved and trust me, it shows. My first game was KI for the SNES, and this game warrants my buy for an Xone. But dont take my word, for it play it. Killer Instinct is no rip off, it is an entire beast in its own level. Play it, it's better than reading reviews online. Enjoy.
  23. Nov 23, 2013
    I'm not generally a fighting game player so take my review for what it's worth but seeing as I played KI as a kid I was pretty excited to play it again. The lack of a single player story mode of some sort was disappointing but the ranked multiplayer and character customizations more than make up for it in my opinion. I've already lost many hours on this game and I don't plan on slowingI'm not generally a fighting game player so take my review for what it's worth but seeing as I played KI as a kid I was pretty excited to play it again. The lack of a single player story mode of some sort was disappointing but the ranked multiplayer and character customizations more than make up for it in my opinion. I've already lost many hours on this game and I don't plan on slowing down. Plus 2000 gamerscore to earn between New KI and Classic KI with more achievements to come with next "season's" new characters. Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    There's not a lot here- 6 characters w/2 more on the way, no arcade ladder, only 2 online options- but what is here is extremely solid. If you're casual and just want to mash buttons against your friends you can, if you want to be competitive there's a commendable amount of depth, the netcode is damn near perfect, and the training options cater to everyone from casuals to the mostThere's not a lot here- 6 characters w/2 more on the way, no arcade ladder, only 2 online options- but what is here is extremely solid. If you're casual and just want to mash buttons against your friends you can, if you want to be competitive there's a commendable amount of depth, the netcode is damn near perfect, and the training options cater to everyone from casuals to the most hardcore. The ability to see hitboxes and frame data not only in dojo, but during replays is spectacular.
    If you are turned off by the lack of content it may be best to hold out for a few months, but as a free download ($20 for the full roster) it's hard not to recommend this game to any Xbox One owner. Overall a very solid experience.
  25. Dec 12, 2013
    I was a huge fan of the OG KI when i was younger so i wanted to avoid being biased. That being said, holy crap is the game awesome. Okay lets get all the obvious complaints out of the way. Yes it's true it lacks content. Yes it's true the character roster is a bit small. And Yes it's true that no story mode its a bit disappointing, but all that was a given. We all expected that whenI was a huge fan of the OG KI when i was younger so i wanted to avoid being biased. That being said, holy crap is the game awesome. Okay lets get all the obvious complaints out of the way. Yes it's true it lacks content. Yes it's true the character roster is a bit small. And Yes it's true that no story mode its a bit disappointing, but all that was a given. We all expected that when we learned that KI was being released less then a year into production. Now lets get to why this game is in fact amazing. It looks beautiful. Between the crazy particle effects and the consistent 60fps it's one of the best, if not the best looking fighters out there. Character design is always a matter of opinion and i personally think they did pretty good and modernizing the character models, and giving us multiple skins and colors to customize to your own preferences makes it even better. Something that is so important in modern online fighters and online games in general is the net code. I haven't seen anyone talking about it but this game's net code probably the most superior net code of any fighting game on a console ever. In terms of a connection quality of about 2000 mile distance KI pretty much blows everything else out of the water. Now in a fighter like KI what we really care about is the combat. How good is it? Well at first when i was learning all the different mechanics of the game and getting into the meta I was a little overwhelmed. I almost thought that KI was over designed. But, as I learned more about the game and got more proficient at it I learned that everything had its place in the game and was an important part of the game. Everything from the combo breakers to the counter breakers to the shadow counters all feel relevant and important and you'll find yourself needing to use each of them. We all know and love KI for its ridiculously over the top combos and the new KI is no different. what Microsoft did so well though was making a combat system that even when you're getting beat down by a long combo you still have to pay attention and still have things you can do so its not a one sided show. all in all KI is a great game that Microsoft is treating as a platform for future content. As long as it's being supported they'll keep adding to it and i personally can't wait to see what they come up with. Expand
  26. Nov 24, 2013
    A 6.1 user score is laughable, this is the best and most fun Ive had with a fighting game in...well ever. KI IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER. Graphics, Gameplay, Presentation and Price are all amazing. Cant wait for the Classic Costumes in the Ultra Pack!
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    I'm from Brazil and I would like to say to Double Helix Games: THANK YOU GUYS! The best fighting game I ever Played! I'm 31 years old and I'm in love with new KI. Really, it's imposible a game like that receive 9.0 less scores... This game is awesome!!! Thank You Guys, really, I'm very excited and very happy! Great JOB!!! I'm already big fan of yours!
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    Amazing game! It's user friendly and incredibly deep for a fighting game. Graphics are phenomenal and videos online don't do it justice. Definite must play!
  29. Nov 23, 2013
    Really loving this game, great fighting game and can't wait for Spinal and Fulgore to come out and season two as well. Pick this up you haven't already!
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    As a package this is a bare-bones fighter, with few characters and levels to choose from. This content-deficit is mitigated somewhat by the fact that this game comes with the Killer Instinct Arcade Classic as a free bonus.

As a fighting game it is a very technically competent title and combat is very fun. Consider it a game with solid foundations, but the content is presently a work in progress. Come back in a year from now and you will find a great fighting classic. For now it serves as a great distraction.
  31. Nov 22, 2013
    Killer Instinct has been away for far too long. I enjoyed the Arcade, SNES and N64 versions of the game and I was concerned about Double Helix working this version of the game. Thankfully, they had access to Ken Lobb, who was one of the original programmers with Rare when the Killer Instinct games were created. The game is one of the flashiest I have ever seen and while it's not nearlyKiller Instinct has been away for far too long. I enjoyed the Arcade, SNES and N64 versions of the game and I was concerned about Double Helix working this version of the game. Thankfully, they had access to Ken Lobb, who was one of the original programmers with Rare when the Killer Instinct games were created. The game is one of the flashiest I have ever seen and while it's not nearly on par with the Street Fighter series, it is still a lot of fun to play and nearly as much fun to watch. Every blow and combo is vicious and very dramatic, not only visually but also audibly. The sound during the match is intense and adds to the excitement, but the music is a mixed bag (some will like it, but it's more likely many will not). The combo system feels familiar to anyone who has played the originals, but it is also a bit cheap in some regards since a successful blow to your opponent opens them up to more damaging combos. The upside to this is the now famous "C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!" heard in nearly every video you have ever seen of the game. With this in mind, there is a bit more depth to the franchise which is a very welcome change and makes the game seem less dated that it would have been otherwise. The only real downside to this game seems to be the lack of content. Free to Play means 1 fighter Jago. A $20 purchase will net 6 characters. More fighters will be released incrementally, but it has to be said Microsoft...you REALLY need to release a complete game and NOT relay on DLC to clean up! All in all though, this is a very entertaining fighter that is sure to see some rounds at the next EVO. Expand
  32. Nov 22, 2013
    Amazing, and more content coming in Jan 2014 and March 2014 aswell as being constantly updated the gameplay is brilliant and so deep with the mindgames. Love it.
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    The game is a little light on content, but rest assured there is loads more to come... and with this price point, who can complain? Double Helix have done extremely well to haul this fighter out of the 90's abyss and have delivered a truly kick-ass product. Supreme audio and visual work, flawless netcode makes this game the killer app to own an Xbox One for. Ultraaaaa Combo!
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    Solid fighting game. Due to the lack of fighting games during both consoles initial releases, Killer Instinct is a no-brainer for Xbox One owners who enjoy games of this genre. It's most like Street Fighter 4 if I had to make a comparison. It definitely brings it's own flair and style however. Very fun unleashing massive combos. The Ultra Edition is a good value considering you get twoSolid fighting game. Due to the lack of fighting games during both consoles initial releases, Killer Instinct is a no-brainer for Xbox One owners who enjoy games of this genre. It's most like Street Fighter 4 if I had to make a comparison. It definitely brings it's own flair and style however. Very fun unleashing massive combos. The Ultra Edition is a good value considering you get two arcade versions of the original Killer Instinct that are standalone. Expand
  35. kad
    Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic next-gen fighting game! 60fps, beautiful effects and amazing attention to detail in every animation! The mechanics are great too, amazing combos and great tournament format. 10/10
  36. Mar 12, 2014
    Fantastic fighting game, I´ve been playing for a lot of hours and still addicted to it. I don't give it a 10 because it has a lot of glitches, some minors, others not so much, including loosing all the tiles and statics.
    If you want a good fighting game and link combos this is for you.
  37. Jan 24, 2014
    This is the first fighting game I've ever played and I hugely enjoy it, the action is intense and complex making it engaging you want to play just one more match all the time to try something out, despite only 8 characters in season 1 each one is incredibly different to another in the way they play and in appearance, it also takes time to master each character properly and focus on usingThis is the first fighting game I've ever played and I hugely enjoy it, the action is intense and complex making it engaging you want to play just one more match all the time to try something out, despite only 8 characters in season 1 each one is incredibly different to another in the way they play and in appearance, it also takes time to master each character properly and focus on using them to the best of their abilities. Graphics are beautiful with particle effects showing the stage when special moves are performed with well modelled and animated characters all running at an unflinching 60 fps. At the time of writing this the game has not many game modes with only 1 Vs. 1 matches and a survival mode with ranked and unranked multiplayer however arcade modes and a campaign has been confirmed to be added in March free of charge in addition to a steady stream of updates and balancing. My only issue is that I wish all the content was available from launch and there was more customisation for the characters, but for next gen graphics and gameplay for only $20 it is very well priced. Expand
  38. Feb 4, 2015
  39. Nov 22, 2013
    The combat is deep. The mind games are intense. The potential for this game when all the pieces come together may make this one the one to watch out for.
  40. Nov 24, 2013
    The new Killer Instinct is a fantastic new addition to great series that had been dead for almost two decades. The core spirit of the series was maintained but the the fighting mechanics got a much needed revamp to keep up with modern fighting games.

The game's mechanics are superbly designed to be accessible yet still retain great depth by focusing on mind-games instead of complex inputs or long lists of combos to remember. Every aspect of the fighting mechanics has a variant or twist to ensure there is always multiple valid options the player can make, and the game heavily rewards remaining active and participating in the fight.

The game is set-up more as a long-term platform for future content and game mode addons, as such the game is currently a bit lacking in content compared to other recent fighting games. What content is in the game however is of the utmost quality, with great attention to details and fantastic audio all around.

So long as KI keeps getting new characters, stages and game modes it'll be well on it's way to becoming one of the top fighting games out there.
  41. Dec 7, 2013
    Lets just say that after years of waiting, I got the fighting game that I've been waiting for. I love Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, heck, even BlazBlue, but none of those games have the intensity that Killer Instinct has. People are going to complain about lack of characters/modes, but those are most likely people trying to put the game down (Sony Fanboys) or gamers that can't play theLets just say that after years of waiting, I got the fighting game that I've been waiting for. I love Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, heck, even BlazBlue, but none of those games have the intensity that Killer Instinct has. People are going to complain about lack of characters/modes, but those are most likely people trying to put the game down (Sony Fanboys) or gamers that can't play the game because it's only on Xbox One. Let me tell you this game is worth every penny. At any rate, it does get a little tiresome playing against the same two characters online (Jago and Sabrewulf) online since they are the games easier characters to master...just like how Ryu and Ken from the Street Fighter games (play exactly the same in a sense). I, myself, love using Glacius because not only is he unique, but he can attack you anywhere on the screen...but he's also very vulnerable for being so range heavy. So you have to give and take. Anyway, don't listen to the bashers. This game rocks on every level. UULLLLTRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  42. Nov 26, 2013
    This game is a blast. I LOVE killer instinct and was a skeptic about this version. It plays so well and the character balance is darn near perfect. The DOJO mode is the best tutorial/dojo mode on a fighter yet. Great explanations and teaches you how to play fighters. The graphics are gorgeous as well as the character models. The effects are great the shadow moves look stunning.
    The
    The first character is free, and you can pay for the complete package that includes six characters now, and two more later. The price is half of a full retail release and some missing extras shows why it is not a full fledge $60 title. You have a superb Vs mode, surivival, dojo, but missing any kind of story element. My only complaint is I want more because it plays so well. I would have gladly paid another 30 dollars for more content, it is that good. For what you get it is worth it though, and very fun.
  43. Nov 26, 2013
    The fighting gameplay mechanics is very deep. Love the mind games. The game looks better in person than in the videos. Online is solid, no lags so far. Spinal and Fulgore are coming. Double Helix plan to expand the game by adding features which is awesome. The tutorial mode is very interesting as it teaches the main fighting mechanics of not just Killer Instinct, but fighting gamesThe fighting gameplay mechanics is very deep. Love the mind games. The game looks better in person than in the videos. Online is solid, no lags so far. Spinal and Fulgore are coming. Double Helix plan to expand the game by adding features which is awesome. The tutorial mode is very interesting as it teaches the main fighting mechanics of not just Killer Instinct, but fighting games overall. Characters come with different colors and you can customize their attire. Original Killer Instinct Skins are coming as well as more characters(TJ Combo, Cinder, Riptor), No Mercies, Humiliations, and new modes. Can't stop playing this game. The original KI announcer is back and this game is honestly a great tribute to the original Rare team. Ken Lobb, the creator of KI was heavily involved. Who would have thought Double Helix could actually pull it off. This game will be a great welcome to fighting tournaments. Super cool how it records your matches and allows you to go back and play it frame by frame or in slow motion to see your mistakes. The music composed by Mick Gordon clashes with a modern yet familiar sound. Hope a cd soundtrack is released or at least released digitally in itunes. All in all, if you are a fan of Killer Instinct this game may surpass your expectations. Can't recommend it enough. Expand
  44. Nov 27, 2013
    I got a blister......Killer Instinct is legit.

I got a blister......Killer Instinct is legit.

Double Helix had 10 months to develop a beloved fighting game classic that has not seen the day of light since the mid 90's. The pressure was on, but oh man did they deliver. The gameplay is fun, twisted, and deep. The music by Mick Gordon fits perfectly. The stages are awesome. The old KI announcer is back. No glitches or bugs online. Lots of customization and color variation for characters. KI teaches you how to play and get better. The game also records your matches. More characters and content to come. Can't stop playing this game.
  45. Nov 24, 2013
    Killer Instinct is back and better than ever. Polished visuals, excellent fighting mechanics, superb framerate, etc. Double Helix has made their first fighting game and it'd seem like they'd been doing this for years given how good it is. If you buy the more expensive version you'll even receive the original Killer Instinct, but I believe this one's actually better.
  46. Nov 24, 2013
    What You Need To Know: Free download with Jago and all modes Modes: Versus, Survival, Practice, Dojo, Online Exhibition, Online Ranked, Online Host/ Invite $20 gets you all modes, 6 launch characters+2 being released later and story mode releasing later $40 gets you all mentioned above+classic KI, classic skins, and early access to Spinal and Fulgore TONS of unlockables in both $20 and $40What You Need To Know: Free download with Jago and all modes Modes: Versus, Survival, Practice, Dojo, Online Exhibition, Online Ranked, Online Host/ Invite $20 gets you all modes, 6 launch characters+2 being released later and story mode releasing later $40 gets you all mentioned above+classic KI, classic skins, and early access to Spinal and Fulgore TONS of unlockables in both $20 and $40 versions (character colors, character accessories etc.)

Now, once you put some time into the game it is FUN. My suggestion is to find the character that resonates with you and learn them inside and out. The gameplay is addictive and theres always a 2-way interaction between players with the combos, combo breakers and counter breakers. The cast also has alot of personality which will only get better when Spinal and Fulgore release.

Yes the single player content seems a little thin but story mode is coming soon and if this game gets the support it deserves, which Im sure it will, another 'season' of content will be released (8 more characters, more modes etc.)

The graphics look great, nothing earth-shattering but it does look nice especially Sabrewulf's model in my opinion. The music/ sound design is the best Ive heard in a fighter, hits sound heavy and impact hard, the music has great variation and is intense. Turn the volume UP when you play this game!

This is the most aggressive, fun and addicting fighting game Ive played. If youre skeptical spend some time with the demo, I especially recommend the Dojo to learn the game. Have fun! Collapse
  47. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those rare games that appear once in 10 years. A game that is so much fun to play that you need to have it, no matter how much it will cost. Games that are fun to play are usually horribly unbalanced affairs when played competitively. However, Killer Instinct somehow manages to combine both the fun and balance in a game that is truly easy to learn but hard to master. LosingThis is one of those rare games that appear once in 10 years. A game that is so much fun to play that you need to have it, no matter how much it will cost. Games that are fun to play are usually horribly unbalanced affairs when played competitively. However, Killer Instinct somehow manages to combine both the fun and balance in a game that is truly easy to learn but hard to master. Losing a match rarely feels unfair, and most of time you have only yourself to blame. Lastly, the smooth and almost completely lag free netcode of Killer Instinct is a revelation, something that makes other fighting games with not so smooth online experience look amateurish. Expand
  48. Apr 11, 2015
    I picked up the Season 1 Combo Breaker physical media and with all the improvements released through updates, I give this game a 10. So much has improved. The visuals look vibrant. The gameplay speed is intense. The volume of characters available is a major improvement. There is a 19 GB patch after or during installation. The complete edition is out and gives you everything. I usedI picked up the Season 1 Combo Breaker physical media and with all the improvements released through updates, I give this game a 10. So much has improved. The visuals look vibrant. The gameplay speed is intense. The volume of characters available is a major improvement. There is a 19 GB patch after or during installation. The complete edition is out and gives you everything. I used to play the arcade version years ago. So I'm probably looking at adding the season 2 to my list now. There are many products so it's still confusing which to buy. Expand
  49. Nov 25, 2013
    The fast pace combat and the beautiful visuals make this game a must have. Its like the classic Killer instinct from the arcades that you would play back the day. Just the number of combos you can do by button smashing is amazing, just imagine how big the combos can be if you practiced. Also people don't need worry about button smashing, that's what C-C-C-Combo breakers are for after all.The fast pace combat and the beautiful visuals make this game a must have. Its like the classic Killer instinct from the arcades that you would play back the day. Just the number of combos you can do by button smashing is amazing, just imagine how big the combos can be if you practiced. Also people don't need worry about button smashing, that's what C-C-C-Combo breakers are for after all. The only problem with the game is that there is currently only 6 characters and 2 more that come in later as dlc. This game has a lot of potential and should receive support so that the fighting genre live strong. 9/10 Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    Best game ever, you start with only one character and I love microtransactions, gets me off, makes me feel all hot and gooey....Nowadays its rare that rarely puts out good games anymore, but this game is great at manipulating people into microtransation... MMM my favorite with a side of bacon... I wanna put killer instinct as the hall of fame game
  51. Nov 28, 2013
    I've never been great at fighting games as they always seemed too complex for me to get into and I'd always get my butt handed to me. But with Killer Instinct, it's dojo mode gives me a chance to learn and get better. Out of all the other games I've gotten for my Xbox One I've played and had the most fun with this fighter. People keep complaining about this game, and almost all of themI've never been great at fighting games as they always seemed too complex for me to get into and I'd always get my butt handed to me. But with Killer Instinct, it's dojo mode gives me a chance to learn and get better. Out of all the other games I've gotten for my Xbox One I've played and had the most fun with this fighter. People keep complaining about this game, and almost all of them have the same gripe with it. Lack of characters, looks like street fighter, bla bla bla. I walked in with zero expectations and came away with a truly fun and challenging experience! It's easy to get into after a few hours, but very hard to master which suites me just fine. Don't believe the critics who are hatting this game! Almost all of them have admitted to not even having picked up the controller to try it yet. Every person I know who complained about this game in life and on the internet changed their tune when they played it and walk away praising it. Double Helix did an amazing job and I can't wait for the rest of the package when it's released early next year.
    TRY IT! IT'S FREE!
  52. Dec 12, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I'm a humongous fan of the original KI. I spent countless hours on the arcade, on the snes version and then again on arcade emulators on PC. When they (FINALLY) announced a new KI I was extremely happy but also extremely concerned that it would just not live up to the name, even if it was developed by Rare (who, by now,are a completely different set ofLet me start by saying that I'm a humongous fan of the original KI. I spent countless hours on the arcade, on the snes version and then again on arcade emulators on PC. When they (FINALLY) announced a new KI I was extremely happy but also extremely concerned that it would just not live up to the name, even if it was developed by Rare (who, by now,are a completely different set of individuals), let alone a different developer entirely. Honestly I was almost more excited about the fact that this would include the original KI over the new one.

Well, after playing it for about 2 weeks I can say that I love it. Gameplay is superb. Very, very accessible and easy to learn and get into for newcomers and also deep enough to keep you engaged and always keep trying to get a longer combo or make it harder to break, include shadow moves, instinct cancels, etc. After a quick run of about half the Dojo mode you will know enough to be pulling combos, breakers, ultras and have a lot of fun. With the 2nd half of the Dojo mode you will learn a lot of advanced techniques and very juicy knowledge on how fighters, in general, work.

The main criticism of the game is content and that is definitely a valid concern. The game has 6 characters right now with 2 more on the way to wrap up "season 1." That is certainly a low number. Now, to counter the lack of content, the game is being sold at TWENTY dollars, which I think a lot of people are completely missing. That's FORTY dollars less than the standard price. That, to me, is a ridiculous steal. Even more so, you can get the game completely free. Not a demo, trial, timed thing. You get 1 character and all modes, including unlimited online play. That's also huge. There will be thousands of people who will forever play this game free and Microsoft/Double Helix will never see a dime.

There's also the 40 dollars dollars edition, which includes more alternate costumes (completely cosmetic, therefore inconsequential to gameplay) and the delicious original KI. That's still cheaper than a full game and you're getting 2. Ok, maybe one and a half. Then, who knows when, they plan on releasing a "season 2" with 8 more characters (with their respective arenas, alt costumes, I'm assuming) for 20 dollars. So THEN you will have a full game and would have paid a full 60 dollar price, if you went with the original KI, or only 40 if you got all characters. That sounds pretty good to me.

So, for what it is right now, with the price that it is, I'll give it a 9 because I'm very happy with the gameplay (and, again, that price!). It feels addicting. Everytime you lose, you hate it but you love it and it has that "just one more match" feel to it. I don't really mind the lack of characters (who really masters more than 2-3 characters on any fighter?) but the lack of an arcade mode is heavily felt and pretty baffling, I might add.

Damn, I wanted to keep this review short but just talking about KI makes me want to to keep going. There are things that will immediately make fans of the original game smile and feel nostalgic about. For me it was things like the music. The main theme, the character select music, Orchid's level jumps from new music to the classic one, the announcer with the legendary COMBO BREAKER and ULTRA COMBO, who contrary to popular belief is not the same guy but you will have the option to put the original guy on. I imagine I'll also feel butterflies when the classic costumes are released. So, yeah, this will be a completely different experience for people who played the original versus people who are meeting KI for the first time. This was obviously written by a fan.

Worthy follow up to KI after 19 years? Yes.
  53. Dec 24, 2013
    This game is possibly one of the best fighters I've played in a long time. Even though the characters were limited I managed to put in well over 30+ hours fighting against friends and learning combos in the dojo mode without wanting to stop playing.
    Its fast pace and non-stop action will keep you playing for hours without you knowing you've been playing for hours.
  54. May 15, 2014
    Unless you aren't into the disappointingly minimal and unoriginal -- even after DLC has been purchased, and there is a lot -- overall atmosphere in comparison to many other greater fighters, don't let its minor flaws negate the experience; Killer Instinct revives everything that made its 90s predecessors classics and refines it marvelously, it's especially done well thanks to some strikingUnless you aren't into the disappointingly minimal and unoriginal -- even after DLC has been purchased, and there is a lot -- overall atmosphere in comparison to many other greater fighters, don't let its minor flaws negate the experience; Killer Instinct revives everything that made its 90s predecessors classics and refines it marvelously, it's especially done well thanks to some striking visuals and casual and competitive friendly controls. Expand
  55. Nov 26, 2013
    Killer Instinct is back and seriously better than it ever was. This game makes the old games look and feel terrible! I love what Double Helix has done with this and the only reason why it does not get a 10 from me is because it is basically a quarter of the game. That is saying a lot for just a baby KI game. The fighting is just so fluid, fun, and in depth. The graphics are trulyKiller Instinct is back and seriously better than it ever was. This game makes the old games look and feel terrible! I love what Double Helix has done with this and the only reason why it does not get a 10 from me is because it is basically a quarter of the game. That is saying a lot for just a baby KI game. The fighting is just so fluid, fun, and in depth. The graphics are truly awesome, even putting MK9 in its place. I look forward to Fulgore and Spinal, along with another Season next year. I'm sure it will be 10 worthy in my book. Great to see one of my childhood favorites come back to life. Expand
  56. Nov 28, 2013
    This is a fair review for Killer Instinct. Granted this is my first review on this game, there are too many people bashing or saying how good this game is without any information to back it up. You can take my review for what it's worth in your eyes.

Killer Instinct makes it's triumphant return after 17 years of non-FGC/FGC members asking for its return. The game (at launch) current comes with three separate ways to enjoy it:

The Free-Rotational Model (FREE):
    This model gives you one character at launch. At the time of this review, Jago is the first rotational character. The idea is that so all the online matches aren't just filled with Jagos at launch, Double Helix plans to switch up the free character to use in local and online play. In addition, all the other modes are also available to use for that character.

The Combo Pack ($20):
    This model comes with the 6 characters Double Helix planned at launch (Jago, Sabrewulf, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira, & Orchid).

The Ultra Pack ($40):
    This model comes with the 6 characters already said, classic costumes from previous iterations of Killer Instinct, and the original Killer Instinct arcade edition emulated on the Xbox One (online currently a work in progress).

Now this game will be featuring post content with either purchase of the Combo or Ultra pack. That post content will be Spinal (coming in January) and Fulgore (coming in March), in addition with Fulgore's release is Double Helix's story mode that most review sites and other reviewers here have given DH issues for. Double Helix will continue to update the game correcting any issues that may pop up. They have every intention on making this the best damn fighting game in this next gen era.

The following features are available to EVERY playable model:

Training Mode:
    While all fighting games have this mode in them, it shouldn't be a surprise. However, this mode also features hit boxes of each fighter who enters the mode. Meaning you can see the hit boxes of every character, their respective moves, as well as the dummy that's taking the damage. This is the first time I've seen this done in a fighting game.

Dojo Mode:
    Essentially, this teaches not just about Killer Instinct, but about fighting games as whole.

Survival:
    An endless match system that takes the place (for now) of the highly requested story mode. You will continuously fight any of the available characters until you choose to stop or lose.

Multiplayer:
    You fight another person from anywhere in the world. Exhibition allows you to fight with a person in you Xbox One party. Ranked pairs you up with anyone within the mode itself, regardless of rank (at least for now). The netcode is very good in this you don't suffer from lag as often as what you would in say Street Fighter IV.

Now the following feature should continue to be in fighting games from here on, in my opinion. This game also features a replay mode, where you can see the most recent match you played as well as previous matches as well. You are able to see the inputs of your character as well as your opponents inputs. Now what differentiates it from competitors, is the fact that you can pull up hit boxes during the match and see them for each character so you'll know why you got your endokouken didn't hit your opponent's shadow move. In addition, you can watch the entire match frame-by-frame. To my knowledge, no other game offers this and to the casuals/elite who play the game and need to know why they lost during the match, this is an invaluable asset.

Here's my personal opinion. If you have an Xbox One, you have no reason to download this and play the free model. You have access to everything that the other models offer, but just one rotational character. The amount of characters is a little discouraging to most (just see the YouTube comments of any review), understand that Double Helix has every intention of including more on the way. They are not backing down from this game by any means and want to continue making content for us to play it. The fact that they're being extremely transparent with us, with the streams on Microsoft Studio's Twitch channel, and they are listening to the fans of this game as well as hardcore fans as well. They do take our opinion into consideration with each update.

Personal opinion aside, this is not a perfect game, but it is not a terrible game either. There are current bugs with this game that really shouldn't have been with launch but DH intends on patching/updating until they are fixed. Lack of content isn't cool to most, but think about it like this.

This is the worst the game is going to be, at this point in time. As time continues to go on, more content will be added, more characters (original and past) are planning to be made, and updates will continue to happen to make this game unlike any fighter already out on the market.

To me, this is an 7.5/8.

Remember, this is my first review. Take it however you want too.
  57. Jan 7, 2015
    There was always huge potential that this was going to be a disaster. For Killer Instinct's triumphant return after the best part of two decades, Microsoft decided to farm the license out to Double Helix Games, a studio responsible for such recent classics as Silent Hill Homecoming and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It also seems as though they weren't given much time to work on it, asThere was always huge potential that this was going to be a disaster. For Killer Instinct's triumphant return after the best part of two decades, Microsoft decided to farm the license out to Double Helix Games, a studio responsible for such recent classics as Silent Hill Homecoming and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It also seems as though they weren't given much time to work on it, as clearly it was expected that it would be an Xbox One launch game, so I'm sure a lot of people were expecting a rush-job to be on the cards.

Luckily, somehow, the developers have confounded expectations and produced a game more than worthy of the name. Ken Lobb, one of the designers of the original Killer Instinct arcade game, was brought in to oversee production, and they hired a few guys who had previous experience of fighting game development, and it paid off. The new KI feels true to the original vision, very faithful in gameplay terms to the classics but with the responsiveness you would expect of a 2013 title. Everything feels correct, right down to the music. The OTT combo system still takes centre stage but things have been made a lot more interesting by some of the gameplay systems, such as "counter breakers" (which enable you to counter a combo breaker and carry on the combo), as well as the presence of a meter which indicates how long you can keep a combo going before it will end, which means you can plan when to use things like shadow moves (which delay the meter's rise) and instinct mode (which resets it completely) to keep the combo going as long as possible. One star of the show in particular is the excellent Dojo mode, which teaches you first how to play fighting games, and then how to play Killer Instinct. In education terms, it's the best mode of its kind in any fighting game, without exception.

Chief quibble aimed at the game by professional reviews is, of course, the lack of content, with only six characters and a paucity of modes at launch. While this is a fair criticism, it's much better to have a lack of content in the game's initial state than for the game mechanics to be substandard. The foundations are there and they're rock solid, and more content is coming in time - two more characters and an arcade/story mode by the end of March 2014 and then another "season" of content (likely another 8+ characters) due towards the end of 2014. Ideally everything would have been available from day one, of course, as now there's a high probability of balancing issues, but the fact that there is a new KI game at all, and that it's this good... I can let it slide.
  58. Nov 27, 2014
    The Game is absolutely AMAZING. One of THE best fighting game soundtracks ever made (by 1 Mick Gordon), Killer Instinct is a great revamp of KI 2 more then classic KI. Easy to pick up and play, the only people who give it 1s and 2s are those who don't go into training dojo for 15 minutes. You can LITERALLY learn all basic moves and combos in 15 minutes. Auto-Doubles are a very easy wayThe Game is absolutely AMAZING. One of THE best fighting game soundtracks ever made (by 1 Mick Gordon), Killer Instinct is a great revamp of KI 2 more then classic KI. Easy to pick up and play, the only people who give it 1s and 2s are those who don't go into training dojo for 15 minutes. You can LITERALLY learn all basic moves and combos in 15 minutes. Auto-Doubles are a very easy way to combo the way YOU like, and it's all mind games w/ combo or counter breakers. This game has a very low learning curve, but once you delve above rank 13 or so, you get to manuals, which is where the "experts" will start to shine. But if you're a regular online warrior you can easily get in on the game that is pretty much Xbox One's best Exclusive.

Yes, it's 40 dollars for both season's combo breaker packs. If you are a true fan or like costumes or just want to support KI in general, pick up both Ultra which is 80. Especially now for Season 1 that you don't have to wait for characters. Or mix and match however you want. Season 3 is confirmed so base your money on that.

Control 10/10 - Dojo mode is a breeze
    Soundtrack 10/10 - Godlike
    Graphics 8/10 - Some classic costumes leave questioning, but other then that it's a beauty
    Story -3/10 but it Doesn't matter it's a FIGHTING GAME. Ultratech = BAD

FIGHT ON
  59. Jun 27, 2015
    unlike the people that gave this game a bad score because it isn't what most fighting games are shame on you because unlike most fighting games Killer instinct for the Xbox one actually requires you to know how to play a fighting game because it your main source of damage comes from you combos not just button mashing and if you don't have the right amount of skill you can learn how to playunlike the people that gave this game a bad score because it isn't what most fighting games are shame on you because unlike most fighting games Killer instinct for the Xbox one actually requires you to know how to play a fighting game because it your main source of damage comes from you combos not just button mashing and if you don't have the right amount of skill you can learn how to play with the tutorial levels within the dojo section of the game and this helped me out alot to because I was hopeless at this game at first but then I learnt the controls and combos from the tutorial and I find it realy easy to play now so that why I have given the game it's rating. Expand
  60. May 29, 2016
    To get the most out of Killer Instinct you are going to have to purchase Seasons 2 & 3, or one of the other bundles out there. If not you're going to be left with a smaller roster of characters and other content. Given all of that is it even worth buying vanilla Killer Instinct? Personally I say yes.

There's a great combat system in place. The game has some great tutorials in place to help you get into the swing of things. It also helps that the fights are complimented by bright, colorful, and flashy graphics. The characters themselves all have their own distinguishing features to make them all worth checking out.

Now obviously there's multiplayer, great proving grounds for your skills, but how is it's single-player offerings? Basically just a bunch of matches against the AI where you pick a character and see a cutscene at the end. The game gives you some decent incentive to keep going back thanks to unlockables and multiple endings, but it doesn't change the fact that these are just bot matches that likely won't hold your attention long. This is no Mortal Kombat style story mode.

While perhaps a bit too bare bones for some, vanilla Killer Instinct still offers plenty of reasons to give it a shot. The gameplay is enjoyable enough to even pull you away from the likes of Mortal Kombat from time to time. There's also a way to play it for free to see if the game is for you or not. Going free-to-play does limit the roster to only one, regularly rotating character, but you can experience the game without paying a single-cent.

The way you buy the more complete versions of it are disappointing. However just the basic game can keep you entertained for quite a while before you feel the need to spring for those other seasons. Overall it's a pretty great fighter, with fairly crappy purchasing system. Still, it's worth it for hardcore fighting game fans even if they don't buy anything more than the base game.
  61. Sep 8, 2015
    Well the graphics are one of my favorite improvements and characters look badass well the bummer is that you have to pay for the rest of the roster but when you do buy them it'll be totally worth and then you're up and kickin ass and let's be honest for a moment who else int hyped for season 3
  62. Dec 21, 2015
    De longe, o melhor jogo de luta da nova geração. Sem muita enrolação, Killer Instinct é direto. A história do jogo peca bastante, mas não deixa de ser boa. Os gráficos considero o melhor da nova geração em game de luta, superando até mesmo MKX (vamos ver se Naruto Storm 4 supera, hehe). A jogabilidade é perfeita, nada difícil de se acostumar, um pouco de treino e você pega o jeito. O gameDe longe, o melhor jogo de luta da nova geração. Sem muita enrolação, Killer Instinct é direto. A história do jogo peca bastante, mas não deixa de ser boa. Os gráficos considero o melhor da nova geração em game de luta, superando até mesmo MKX (vamos ver se Naruto Storm 4 supera, hehe). A jogabilidade é perfeita, nada difícil de se acostumar, um pouco de treino e você pega o jeito. O game roda a 90FPS, o que torna ele extremamente fluído, principalmente no online. A trilha sonora tem seu pequeno ponto fraco, mas é muito boa. O modo online é extremamente competitivo, e não deixa nada a desejar, com uma conexão quase impecável. O jogo conta com combos excessivos e monstruosos, além de contar com os famosos Combo Breaker. Killer Instinct traz de volta a simplicidade e a diversão dos antigos jogos de luta. [O JOGO POSSUI SUA VERSÃO GRATUITA, CADA SEMANA É LIBERADO UM PERSONAGEM ALEATÓRIO PARA TESTE. ATUALMENTE, O JOGO POSSUI DUAS TEMPORADAS, NO SEU MODO PADRÃO E ULTRA. NA VERSÃO ULTRA, SE RECEBE O KILLER INSTINCT CLASSIC, DE SNES, VÁRIOS TRAJES CLÁSSICOS, PERSONALIZAÇÕES, ETC.]

História: 7/10
    Gráficos: 9/10
    Jogabilidade: 10/10
    Desempenho: 10/10
    Trilha sonora: 9/10
  63. Jun 29, 2016
    Graficos muy buenos, pero pues prefiero el killer instinct viejo y tal vez por eso de alguna forma no me agrado del todo este titulo pues ha cambiafo significativamente el juego. lo positivo es que es gratis y poco a poco van desbloqueando personajes.
  64. Sep 24, 2016
    Good game, but you have to buy characters, btw, the game is excelent, you have must fun alone or with your friends! I'd like so much! A good title to the library on XONE!

1. Oct 9, 2014
    Flashy, brutal and deeper than you'd expect. Killer Instinct is back baby.
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Even though the demo is pretty disappointing, the full Killer Instinct proves to be a really nice addiction to the fighting genre. Most of the characters come directly from the first Killer Instinct-game, but this time they look really gorgeous on the new Xbox One. The fighting system of Killer Instinct is a very layered one, which will keep you busy for loads of hours although a campaign mode is definitely missed.
  3. Hyper Magazine