5.9

1. Jan 17, 2014
    8.5! The graphics are spectacular. Although the gameplay mechanics have been deemed repetitive, it's super fun! what game isn't repetitive in some degree? This game comes with a decent variety of enemies, and is incredibly satisfying to combo your way through them all (Batman anyone? You know what I mean). The multiplayer is subtle in how addicting the customization of your gladiator is, so you won't find nerds with diamond plated weapons *cough* call of duty crap. The story is challenging and feels like you're in a movie or tv series. I think people were just a little too harsh on this game, for a launch title, hats off to it. Expand
  2. Jan 18, 2014
    First off I dont understand why this go suck low ratings...... I played and beat this game and the only complaint I have is it is too short!!! The graphics are amazing and the story is good.(very to the point) If you are looking for a challenging hack and slash game then this one is it!! Please play the game before you review because it is obvious half these people dont even have the game.
  3. Jan 22, 2014
    Not sure why everyone was ripping on this game so much. Glad to see the user reviews are relatively positive (with the odd person claiming all of us giving it good ratings are MSFT employees, so they have to give it a 0 rating...). Yes the mechanics are simple and yes it wasn't quite long enough for my liking, but I loved the game and loved playing through it. So much so that I actually started playing through again. Perfecting the combat on higher difficulties and fighting 6 or more guys at a time that are all coming at you is a blast. Not sure why the critics hated on it so much. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a sublime game. Tech + history + gameplay.
    The game necesary for a Xbox gamers.
    Repetitive? maybe, but, this game is action in every moments, a history is a second film of gladiator easily.
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    Got this game a little late, but just finished it. The game is very enjoyable, but once you complete the story there really is not much appeal to keep playing after that. The multiplayer is very basic, and most of the time you can't even match up with someone. The story mode was a great play through. It has a good story to it, but the gameplay does get extremely repetitive. I played on the second highest difficulty (the hardest difficulty is unlocked after you beat the game) and there was just no real challenge. The game takes no skill, and is just a button smash type of game. This game can also be completed in about 6 hours and that was another downfall in my opinion. Overall, for one of the first games out for the Xbox One it was an OK game. It could have been a lot better, but it is worth a play. Expand
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    I liked the graphics, fighting, history, other than what we have seen game so comparisons are generated nonsense criticized but not enjoying the game, I want to see another game over Rome!
  7. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity. Recommended to all who have an xbox one.
  8. Mar 11, 2014
    For a Next Gen launch game the Crytek engine is gorgeous. The Story is entertaining and keeps you hooked. The Combat can be a tad repetitive, think Batman in the Arkham series.
    The Single player campaign is short. But get a friend co-op on the multiplayer and have a blast
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    I always thought this was a good launch game. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay, while simple, is solid and fun (just my opinion). There are quick-time finishers to every kill/combat scenario so if that's not your thing, keep on walking. Personally, l enjoy the finisher animations as well as the facial expressions on the enemy characters as they express pain (kinda dark I guess but tech wise, impressive). The combat, while simple, still has enough variation (timing, button combos, etc) and depth to keep your attention through the story and a well written campaign that scratches the surface of the corruption that eventually caused Rome's downfall.

There is a light RPG-ish system that allows you to unlock abilities and executions and you'll unlock most on the first play through. It has a co-op multiplayer component (2 players) where you fight in the coliseum and keep the crowd entertained. I always enjoyed fighting alongside someone and keeping the crowd cheering through some crazy scenarios. Understand that, when I rate this, I rate it as an adult with a life, not a "hardcore gamer". I have maybe an hour a day to play games and for me, this game is perfect. This is a casual game, it's easy to pick up and play, you can play offline or online, it looks great and has enough depth and variation in the combat to keep things interesting.
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    espero q a Critek de continuidade a este game, pois ele tem muito potencial e acho q a Critek agora tem q mostrar q ela sabe fazer qualquer tipo de game com gráficos perfeitos como de RYSE!
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    Ryse is fun, it looks great and plays the same. I only use my XBone for exclusives and this is a must buy. Gore galore and Kinect that seems to work well for a change. Bravo!
  12. Jul 4, 2014
    Let me start out this review by saying this: Ryse Son of Rome is the best looking game I have ever seen. Crytek is known for having amazing graphics with their engine known as CryEngine, but this game takes it to the next level entirely. But do the phenomenal graphics and spectacle make this a great, awesome game? The answer: more or less. In my eyes, Ryse wasn't made to have true next-gen gameplay or design. It was made to blow you away with the graphics, and show how powerful the Xbox One is. That being said, Crytek didn't try extremely hard on the gameplay. Ryse's combat is a basic hack and slash formula. It keeps you entertained...starting out, that is. As you move on in the campaign, you start to realize that you are going through the same motions over and over again. What makes it worse is that the combat doesn't go on to have depth, which basically means the 2nd level is about the same as the last level. However, it does have a fun aspect to it. There are upgrades, and while they help you slightly, they aren't that big of a deal. The multiplayer of this game was more than great, though. It isn't exactly competitive. I would compare it to the cooperative modes in Halo, like Firefight (excluding gameplay of course). The combat does differ slightly in multiplayer, too. I most likely won't play the multiplayer for till the end of the year, but it will keep me entertained for a few months. Ryse never blew me away with the combat or story. What did blow me away, though, was the constant amazement out of the graphics and the extremely fun multiplayer. Expand
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is rated unbelievably inaccurately by people who are paid off by other companies to make other games look better. Ryse: Son of Rome is THE Masterpiece of 2013, and ushers in the next generation of games that we all want so much.
  14. Mar 25, 2014
    A pretty amazing looking game with gorgeous lighting and visuals. The story in Ryse is also pretty stellar. The gameplay is good, but it can get repetitive after a while, and that's the only drawback to the experience. However, playing this game has made me very optimistic about the future of the future of the Xbox One, because from the looks of things, the sky is the limit when it comes to amazing graphics. Expand
  15. Mar 27, 2014
    The reviews for this game... I don't get it. The graphics, the graphics for such a little box. The Xbox One is the little engine that COULD. My lord, I was enamored when I first fired up my Xbox Won and witnessed splendid visuals that immersed me into the world of Ryse. The beautifully rendered shield, the foliage, the waterfalls, it was too much. I wept a little, because for months and months, people said to me how I got the worst system that's overpriced, that's too gimmicky, that's "bad". I couldn't take it, it built me up, I had thick skin from the endless battles I faced online in various forums. Now today, I feel like victory came my way with Ryse. I watched for hours as I dismembered enemies in stunning HD blood spilling realistically across the battlefield. It was a sight to behold. Later that night, I beat the game and was finally thrilled to have a game that would reign supreme on the internet, ammo if you will for those stupid playstanleys. Finally I looked online and saw an article saying the game was only 900P.
    WHAT!!?? THAT'S **** STUPID!! 900P?!?!? I hate that **** 1/10.
  16. May 26, 2014
    I originally didn't buy this game due to the bad reviews, but perhaps you should take them with a grain of salt. Because it is a really good game to play. Lots of the negative reviews say this game is repetitive. It definitely is, but in a good way and I can't get enough of it. The executions are probably the best bits.

The graphics are good, but the story is short although Gladiator
    mode makes up for it. Expand
  17. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is an amazing game with great graphics game play and cultural references. only bad thing would be is that i was expecting a skyrim like world and mechanics with quests and open world traversing
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    It is surprisingly a great game regardless of most of reviews out there. Incredible movie-like graphics that come with a decent story.

Gameplay is unfortunately a bit linear but the entire package surprises.

I would give it a 10/10 but I believe it's a bit pricey for only about 10 hours of gameplay.
  19. May 15, 2014
    The games short but super fun and and brutal. Not sure why all the reviewers are being so harsh. The game currently has more playtime than any of my other single player games do.
  20. Apr 28, 2014
    First let me just say I love ancient Rome. Ok that aside I was so stoked when this game was announced and shown. I went and I bought it, I was not disappointed. It was beautiful, fast fluid (somewhat repetitive) combat, excellent story, excellent acting, and of course ancient Rome. The history was off, and some things happen that never did (which being a history buff would normally drive me crazy), but I looked past it and saw it more as another story in Roman mythology. The game is not flawless though. It does have repetitive combat and executions also but I still enjoy cutting some's leg off and giving me a break from somewhat overwhelming enemies at times. The multiplayer is there and you can see the hard work that went into it, but after a little bit it became kind of lack luster, but I do appreciate the fact that it is there. All and all, it was almost a perfect game for me and I hope others enjoy it as much as I did. Expand
  21. May 12, 2014
    to start off what everyone already know this game looks amazing easily the best looking game ive seen from either console and the voice acting was spot on. I've been really wanting a good rome game that was total war and ryse really satisfied what i was looking for. Now i gave this game a 10/10 because apparently this thread is you like it you give it a decnt score (6-10) if you dont like it you give it a 0 or a 1 and thats just not fair as this game doesnt deserve that hate overall myself id give it a 7.5

ok so back to the review besides visuals and dialog while not a ground breaker ryse is a decent start which could be a fantastic series should the dev wish it. Now everyone bashes the combat for being repetitive and easy and yes it largely is, but it is still no less fun just as people enjoy killing zombies in dead rising so i enjoy killing in ryse. The executions are brutal and fun i wish however that you had more control over which one you did as i largely saw the same one repeated. Also the timed key pressings could use a little more complexity. The story was a decent one it certainly kept me entertained and wanting to keep going especially at the ending missions. The missions themselves also were done well they weren't repetitive and toke you though some diverse environments. My complaint about the story was that it felt rushed the last 2-3 missions while it doesn't have to have the 30 hour length of a RPG Ryse's story could've definitely used an extra few missions to flesh out its story and give it a little more depth. Lastly multiplay the co-op matchs in the arena is alot of fun to do and the kinnect voice commands were nice and responsive when needed.

if rumors are true and a squeal to this game is in the works it has the potential to be a huge hit. if CryTek can simply take what they did with this game add more complex combat such as combos and more diverse executions while expanding the story they'd have a winner. As it stands they have a good decent start of the new console era
  22. May 13, 2014
    Graphics do not make a game great but Ryse son of Rome was just a beautiful game to play. The campaign was an enjoyable story to follow and not to difficult to play and was a nice change of pace from the typical first person shooter i usually play. Personally i loved the so called "Multiplayer" as well which is really just a co-op mode where you get to slaughter hordes of barbarians. My only bad point about this game is that the game doesn't have a lot to do. I really enjoyed this game and i played it until i unlocked all achievements defiantly recommend to anyone who is tired of buying games with little to no single player mode and the graphics are just something else! Expand
  23. Jun 27, 2014
    Stunning graphics just an amazing game have had a lot of fun with this game and giving it a score that it definitely deserves can be a bit repetitive at times but overall a solid game.
  24. Jul 7, 2014
    I must say this game gets an unfair amount of bad reviews. To be short, the one flaw with this game is the shallow combat system.

Best on legendary difficulty.
    Awesome graphics. Fun combat system to master. Epic storyline.

Incredible story of revenge that follows our hero through his campaigns across britania all the way back to the corrupt streets of rome.
  25. Aug 22, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a VERY underrated game. Let me start of by saying that Ryse is totally undeserving of anything below a 60% score. I picked this game up a day after I got my xbox one at launch last November and I loved it. The graphics - Beautiful. The storyline - good, but could use some work. The replayability - Mmm okay I guess but not the best in this aspect, it's occasionally a bit repetitive but good fun never the less. The online play is good fun to have a crack at with a friend.

Again, totally undeserving of the
  26. Sep 4, 2014
    It's a nice game. A good story mode, a good arena mode. Sadly, the game kinda gets a bit too flooded with the DLC Money and stuff, still, it's a fun game here and there.
  27. Sep 14, 2014
    As with any game purchase, you should exercise common sense before purchasing. If you would like a hack and slash game with the spectacle of Call of Duty set in ancient Rome, this is a solid pick up.

The game pretty. There's no real argument from anyone there. Some character models are not as detailed as others (see: Boudica), and many will repeat throughout the game, but nothing in
    this game particularly offends the eyes. The spectacle of it all is impressive, and there are no noticeable framerate dips that I experienced.

The story is your typical revenge tale. There's a neat twist that I probably should have seen coming, but none the less, it was pretty cool. The narrative is pretty well acted so long that you can appreciate the fact that none of it is really historically accurate, and the Romans speak with British accents. I'd say the overall story of the game is on par, if not a tick better, than a God of War game. Nothing mind blowing, but pretty solid popcorn entertainment.

The gameplay isn't impressive. If you're looking for a deep combat system, you won't find it here. To be honest, it was kind of numbing, but inoffensive overall. The battles play out somewhere between a beat 'em up and a stripped down Arkham combat system, but offer enough challenge at as you progress that you don't get bored, but the story keeps flowing.

Overall, I played this game as a sort of "palate cleanser" between The Last of Us and Destiny. It proved to be a pretty relaxed 6 hour playthrough, and though short, it was enjoyable. Definitely not a game I'd recommend dropping $60 on, but if you're looking for a decent rental or preowned game to return to Gamestop before the 7 day return period is up, you could definitely do worse.
  28. Jan 22, 2014
    Ryse: son of Rome is a game which gave me mixed feelings about it.I am enjoying my time with Ryse but I feel like there is something missing from the experience somewhere.the graphics are very impressive and so is the voice acting and story,but the game feels a little bit lost when it comes to what it wants to be for example there is rpg elements,shooter,and action as well.in no way is this game a bad experience,nor is it a blockbuster tittle either,with a little more love and improvements in the next Ryse tittle, I think this series could be great and lead to a contender for goty. Expand
  29. Aug 30, 2014
    Beautiful graphics. Redundant gameplay. Pay for DLC. Still kind of fun. I love the Roman Era. That's why I bought this game. If they make a ryse 2, I hope they will make it less repetitive.
  30. Mar 12, 2014
    Game is way too short and should not be $60 purchase.. The graphics are some of the best on console but that doesn't justify the poor excuse of a short game.. I'm aware that this is launch game and what not, but that is still no excuse. The game feels like a demo Any video game that is short like this doesn't deserve a high score. This game also has some of the most boring gameplay ever, it's fun at first but get repetitive very quickly. Expand
  31. Oct 7, 2014
    Like the sorority girl you wish you hadn't started a conversation with at that party, Ryse: Son of Rome is both beautiful and utterly lacking depth or vision.

First, the positive: Ryse: Son of Rome is the most beautiful game I've yet played in the 'Next Gen'. The architecture of Rome is presented gloriously. I spent many a minute studying a statue or intricate pattern on the marble
    inlay of a grand hall. The textures are incredibly high fidelity, and do not lose any of their luster when examined closely. The lighting engine is glorious, with motes of dust suspended in shafts of sunlight and sparks whipping through the air above a fire. Truly a spectacle to behold, especially in the more chaotic battle scenes, where mighty catapults fling flaming boulders into the splintering decks of triremes charging towards a shore wreathed in battle and blood.

Unfortunately, graphical fidelity is where my praise for the title ends. There is little to be done in the game that hasn't been well trod by developers with a superior footing. The combat is a standard hack and slash/QTE execution affair, and you will have seen all of those within the first 30 minutes. The story is overly reliant on well worn tropes (be prepared to avenge the death of family members you won't remember the names of a full minute after they're butchered) and the whole affair is bogged down in the mire that is the repetitive nature of the tasks you are presented with.

Curiously, the game chooses to use ACTUAL historical figures in the presentation of the story. I say curiously, as anyone with a passing knowledge of Roman History will find the references to Oswald, Nero, Boudica et al at odds with the time periods in which they existed and the nature of their ACTUAL character/demeanor/motivations. Hard to feel like a hero (or even an antihero) in the narrative when you have a hand in Rome's interactions with Boudica (to cite but a single example of the required cognitive dissonance to get anything from the story).

On the whole, Ryse is a game that bears a rental, assuming you've an interested in sheer spectacle, but otherwise fails to maintain anything resembling engagement when taken as a whole. There is also a cooperative multiplayer arena mode, but I found myself so disinterested in the title 3/4's the way through, that I didn't even bother to give it a look.
  32. Jun 18, 2014
    Ryse truly wasn't anything special (except those graphics are top!) but I feel like it didn't warrant all of it's criticism it does deserve a lot of it, yet in the end I thought it was decent. I thought it had a really good story, short, but good. The gameplay, while incredible repetitive and gets stale often, can be pretty fun in bursts. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun, mostly with friends, but it is pretty fun, Overall Ryse was a decent experience for me (maybe inflated cause I only paid 12 bucks for it) it can be fun but not wrth full price by any means. Expand
  33. Oct 1, 2014
    This is an enjoyable, whlie it lasts action game that looks beautiful graphics wise but becomes too repetitive as the game progresses. It's good for what it is: A fun action game that'll keep you entertained for about 5-6 hours. In that lies one of the biggest problems in that it's far too short. It can easily be beaten in a weekend or less if you push yourself. The game isn't that hard either. While it's fun and the executions are a blast to see once or twice, things get far too repetitive after awhile. You see the same executions over and over and, even though you can buy new ones, they are random so you can end up seeing the same ones over and over. I enjoyed it for what it is, and I knew going into it that it was going to be short. It fulfilled my expectations for it and I enjoyed it for what it was. However, this game is nowhere near a console seller and I would definitely not recommend picking this up for more than 20 bucks. The amount of content just can't warrant anymore than that in my book. Expand
  34. Feb 2, 2014
    Excellent title launch for Xbox ONE with great graphics and story, but lack gameplay. The game show how powerful the microsoft console can be in the future.
  35. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse has a lot of potential to be a top tier experience, but the superficial core combat and story ripped right off gladiator leaves much to be desired. I had a lot of fun in the first few hours, but the game just kept going downhill after that. It just became a chore to finish. About 75% I didnt even care what happened next, thats how downhill it went. Its disappointing, cuz ryse has a lot going for it with its setting and amazing graphics and environment. The game just becomes way too repetitive without the addiction of new moves later in the game. Expand
  36. Jul 25, 2014
    The game is beautiful, involving and epic. It entertains you and this is what usually we look in a game. The gameplay is repetitive like all games hack & slash.
  37. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ryse is a visually stunning game that really turns up the graphics benchmark with the use of CryEngine. The game play mechanics tend to be enjoyable for a short period of time and the story line takes on a twist that I wasn't fully expecting.

Games made with the CryEngine do not need a review explaining that the graphics are good, this is to be expected with CryEngine so we'll continue with the original advertisement of this game.

When I first heard about Ryse I watched a trailer that showed someone playing the game with the Kinect and they were fighting. Swinging their arms like they had a sword, raising their arm like they had a shield, kicking the enemy away from them and finally hurling their sword. This was an excellent promotion that caught my attention. I thought to myself "Finally, someone is going to use the Kinect the way it needs to be used!"
    I was sadly disappointed to find the only Kinect features this game actually has in it are with voice commands which are rather useless.

With the Kinect features out of the question this game should be able to deliver spectacular fights and it almost seemed as if the developers had done so when you go through a kill animation and have to press certain buttons and see the spectacular method of killing your enemy.
    Although, after a few times of doing so you quickly realize that it's the same thing over and over. Killing an enemy without one of these sequences feels meaningless and killing them with one of those sequences becomes too repetitive.

Then they add a feature where you can press a button and everything around you slows down and you can start owning everyone around you. This feature seems neat as well but after a few uses you once again discover it's rinse and repeat all over again.

The story line to the game is almost good. The best part of the story line is when you discover you're Damocles. The way the game builds up the story behind Damocles makes it feel as if this warrior is so awesome that his presence would be enough to kill your enemy. Then you discover that you are Damocles in the manner that you were brought back for vengeance and at first it feels as if your character will be transformed somehow, maybe faster, or stronger with new kill animations or anew weapon.
    But this is not true. The only new thing that happens is your character places a mask over his face a few times.

After the campaign is over you're left with the arena which doesn't have very many options and isn't all that difficult to complete. Every game I've ever played that involved an arena or Colosseum have never gotten it wrong, until now. The developers did add several things to the arena that I haven't seen in previous games but these objects are generally not needed to win and therefore don't necessarily add to the game play.

Overall. Ryse is nothing close to what was shown in the early trailers. The graphics are very good which is expected from the CryEngine. Game play mechanics are too repetitive. The use of the Kinect is useless and should have been excluded entirely. The story line takes a very interesting twist and doesn't build on the character afterwards. The arena has things inside it that I haven't seen before giving the arena potential for unique combat, but ultimately isn't needed and isn't very challenging.
  38. Sep 29, 2014
    A hollow title with nothing but looks and money behind it. The graphics are some of the best both technically and artistically, but the 8 levels do not bring much variety or imagination. The controls are solid most of the time, but sometimes might feel a little unresponsive.

The gameplay is utter rubbish. It could be fun to try and see some of the executions but grows more than stale
    after a few minutes. Playing the co-op multiplayer can be more fun since you have to coordinate sometimes with your partner but is shallow as hell and that doesn't help at all.

Since the story is ok and the production values are up high, one could enjoy a playthrough, but every person, no matter what kind of gamer he/she is will find it repetitive as hell. I found it pretty shallow and the one or two extra gameplay actions do not do much to compensate. The upgrade system is **** The powerup system is also **** Also its duration is about 6 hours. You can see the half-realised ideas from the previous state of the game (Kinect-only) such as the shooting or the legion thing.

This game is the epitomy of mediocrity. It just doesn't have enough content or ideas to fill half a game.
  39. Feb 8, 2014
    Ryse son of Rome is A fun fighter, if your looking for something easy. The graphics are good, but have a grainy look to them, i think there hiding clarity with it.
  40. May 22, 2014
    This game is more style then substance. The graphics and facial animations in this game are top notch. The combat starts out fun and interesting, but quickly gets repetitive within a few hours. The game starts out strong, but I found myself rushing through the later levels to get the campaign over with. Thankfully for me the story was rather short, only took about 5-6 hours to beat the game without looking for every collectible. I could see a sequel that fixes this games problems showing quite a bit of promise. Expand
  41. Mar 20, 2014
    It's pretty obvious that this game was supposed to be more of a tech-demo than a real game. In fact, I'd say that even as a tech demo it looks pretty darn sorrow. Heck that was an understatement. The gameplay of course is what matters, right? Well here it's been thrown out the window, along with the visuals, the aesthetics, the feel and the immersion. I love the Roman era, but this has done nothing but cover it with crap. FYI Crytek, never, ever use quick-time events, ever! I got a refund the next day. Expand
  42. May 2, 2014
    Ryse of Rome presents a great launch title, the chronology of the story is interesting although not entirely original, whilst the plot itself isn't amazing it does present plenty of 'this is sparta'/'I am a freaking badass' moments.

The sword play and executions are very cool and keep you entertained through what is mechanically a quite repetitive control set, and the sparse
    opportunities to take control of your legion whilst again simple are very satisfying.

The game is short, however I think this works in it's favour, if this game were 20 hours long it would become dreadfully stale but for a 6-7 hours rompfest it keeps you thoroughly entertained. I feel the reviews suffer from peoples expectations for ryse son of rome and I like many was expecting something with a bit more depth, however the graphics and obvious attention to detail in creating excellently modeled swordplay have left me with an experience to remember.
  43. Oct 10, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome, is a uninspiring button mashing game, that shins so bright it give me the chills. The best graphical looking game to date easily goes to Ryse however, it fails to conquer the opening scene.
    Bordon soon sets in and I felt like saying "been there done that". Characters felt cheesy and life less however it runs excellent without a bug or glitch. It may not be the best in
    at batch however xboxone fans can still find a fun time here. Worth a rent. Expand
  44. Jan 26, 2014
    Very bland game that depends on it's graphics to entertain instead of the gameplay. Played it on launch night with friends. Was bored of it in 5 minutes. A pretty standard launch title.
  45. Apr 11, 2014
    For a start the graphics are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so smooth, consistent and realistic. The controls are very responsive and smooth. The storyline is actually very well done, a few twists and turns which keep you guessing and very good overall really. There is a co-operative multiplayer mode laced with different arenas, and modes fun for a little while. The combat however simple was extremely satisfying and gruesome, ever fitting with the brutal element which resides in the heart of rome itself. Expand
  46. Jan 3, 2014
    Ryse certainly does look amazing, Very amazing job well done by Crytek on the graphics but how is the gameplay you may ask? Well it is okay, Fun for the first 2 hours but once you know what you're doing with attacking, chaining combos, blocking and executing enemies. It does become repetitive and tedious to play whenever you're playing story or arena mode.

If you want to play it, Either
    wait for it to become cheap or borrow it from a friend. It is not worth paying full for this game Expand
  47. Sep 4, 2014
    This game is highly and unfairly underrated. I don't know if it was the hate for the Xbox One that spread over and caused some people to be harsh on Ryse, but whatever it was all I know is that Ryse is a lot better than some of the reviews would lead you to believe.

I should say that I don't actually own an Xbox One, but I was able to play through the game on weekends at a friend's
    house. I don't think the game actually deserves a 10, but there are far too many fanboys giving it scores like '1', which is just absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not going to say the combat is amazing because it is not very deep and somewhat repetitive, but it does look very cool and can be pretty satisfying and fun. Gameplay in general is decently good, not amazing.

Story-wise I found this game to be great. The narrative kept me interested the whole way through. It feels like a high budget movie in many ways.

The sound is excellent and the graphics are jaw dropping. Pretty much unrivaled by any other console game.

All in all I would give this game an 8. All of its attributes combine into a pretty enjoyable whole.
  48. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the best looking game I have ever see, it makes you think about the potential of the xbox one when you see graphics like this. I cannot understand why people are buying a ps4 with games like this and Forza on the xbox one. They may not be classics but they show great potential. Please people if you haven't picked a console yet, buy an xbox one, you will not be disappointed.
  49. Jun 30, 2014
    Brilliant visuals and some epic moments do not make-up for its repetitive gameplay and overall presentation. As some critics have pointed out, this game feels more like a presentation of the visual capabilities of the One.
  50. May 21, 2014
    Not horrible, not great and defiantly not excellent. Ryse is mildly entertaining for 3-5 hours before repetition takes its course. There just is not enough game content to merit a 60 dollar sticker price. I recommend playing Ryse at your buddies house during intermission of the hockey game and nothing more.
  51. Feb 17, 2014
    Gostei bastante desse jogo. Ele tem os gráficos muito bons e uma boa história, pena que é curta demais. Porém, o jogo em si não tem falhas ou erros, como a maioria, e peca apenas por ser pequeno. Mas isso não diminui o jogo, que é excelente.
  52. Dec 21, 2013
    People need to start giving fairly realistic reviews. There are very few if any games worthy of anything less than a 3. But every game is littered with 0's, 1's and 2's.

So, to start with the good points; Graphically appealing, which compliments well with the gory nature of the game from slitting throats to dismemberment.

QTE's are very well placed, however over-used is an
    understatement.

An okay time filler waiting for other game updates, or downloads if you own this as a digital copy like I do.

Now, I will probably use up the character count in listing the bad points, so will go for the most crucial.

Gameplay in a nutshell is; "Stab-Stab-Stab-Bash-Bash-Bash-Exectute-Counter" and repeat.

The combat while effective and smooth flowing, it gets stale after the first two missions.

The story, for whatever story there is, isn't at all gripping, quite frankly on Mission 3 of 8 I have no idea what is actually going on.

Over use of QTE's on EVERY enemy execution is overkill. However the variation of the QTE's is a good addition.

Now to me, a good game can stand on Singleplayer alone. Ryse cannot do that. So I hope that Multiplayer can redeem this however it seems unlikely.

To give it anything less than a 4 is absurd. But giving it more than 8 is because people don't want to admit they wasted their money.

Fairly say this game is a 6 or 7 out of 10. And I would not recommend purchasing it at full price, rather wait until it is at least half, yes half, of it's RRP. While the game has nothing to show for it's immense gameplay it does make up for with visual appeal. Showing just a small amount of Next-Gen capability. And hopefully leaving a good sign of things to come from future releases.
  53. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun Game Overall , The Campaign Was A Bit Short , Finished It In Less Then 10 Hours , Witch Is A Bit Dissapointing , But Still Lots Of Fun To Be Had And Lots Of Collectibles To Collect , The Multiplayer Is Fun But Once Again Limited , The Season Pass Adds Survival Mode Witch Is Fun Too , But The Game Is Just Missing Something , The Graphics Do Look Stunning And Can Be Compared To PS4
  54. Dec 27, 2013
    Yes graphics and combat system are ok, but the remaining isn't very good, in fact, the game does not last very much and is quite repetitive in content. I suppose that six is the correct mark for it.
  55. Dec 31, 2013
    gameplay wise nothing outstanding, was ok for a few hours but did not motivate me to play it through.
    graphically quite outstanding though but for me graphic is less important than gameplay
  56. Jan 2, 2014
    This is a Monotonous game you have block alot and it only works a 3rd of the time, i couldn't beat the last boss on easy and fully upgraded, I believe this game is for zombie players, sword games should not be made to use the same series of attacks over and over in the game, i rate this game a 4, if you use the same series of attacks it doesn't do any good because block dose not work half the time, and there were a couple of times in the game i wasn't sure what to do or where to go, so thoughtless for a game designer. Expand
  57. Jan 16, 2014
    Beautiful but ultimately disappointing. The game looks and sounds like you're watching a movie and the motion capture and voice acting are top-notch. The slow motion battle sequences leave you with your jaw on the floor and the scenery is breathtaking. However, that's where this game stops being good. The combat and gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive and far too easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. The linear storyline allows for virtually zero exploration. The cookie-cutter enemies consist of about 8 different models, only four of which require a different strategy than mashing the x button.

The historical inaccuracies are what did it in for me. I can understand taking creative liberties for a game like this, but as a big fan of ancient history, I found myself being more focused on the complete disregard for historical context than the actual gameplay. Damocles was a Greek character mentioned only in Roman history one time by Cicero. King Oswald wasn't even alive until around 600 AD, centuries after the Western Roman Empire fell. Boudica never invaded Rome, and never would have done so RIDING AN ELEPHANT, AN ANIMAL SHE NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN SEEN BEFORE. They refer to the cities in Britannia as "York" and "Dover", which would have been called Eboracum and Dubris at this time in history. Nero had no sons, only a daughter that died in childhood. I could go on, but you get the point. If you want the most beautiful hack and slash game made to date, then this is your game. If you want a repetitive game with more or less total disregard for the timeframe in which it exists, then this is also your game.
  58. Jan 21, 2014
    So i bought the game this month.Besides the negative reviews i have seen.Every game that is average rated i give a chance.Since i am into this kind of setting i was craving for a new game set in this world.I loved the game Shadows of Rome and i liked the movie Gladiator ,300 and the TV show Spartacus.Most players complained about t combat . What made me think maybe the game was to easy on default settings.So i set the game on the most difficult setting available at the moment.And see i was right the game now felt like Demon/Dark Souls,Ninja Gaidens little brother. Except you have to fight 4-6 opponents at once. Although the repertoire is limited every move has its purpose.So the fun about combat here is studying the enemy, and judge ,react to their attacks.By no later than the legacy difficult its clear. That you stand no chance by mashing or spam attacks.You have to time your attack and know when to break the shield all that in a combo to stop the enemy attacking .All while keeping an eye on all the other enemy's If you spam or mash you wont be able to block or evade incoming attacks from behind. Later in the game when you have to fight 4 types of enemy's at once. That is wen your brain has to work in overdrive.One enemy must be keep t in a combo.the other must be guard braked before you can attack .the other must be blocked two times then evade or perfect guard at the end to hit him. the other must be perfect guarded or evaded two times then attack after hes done .All that while looking out for regular attacks to block. double block red attacks to perfect guard or evade.or simultaneous attacks to evade.In some situations even command your troops at the same time.Since in the higher difficulties you get the most honor points and XP you almost will rely on health regenerating finishers.Yes you will not be able to fail the finishers since the system is lenient to your inputs.the problem is that the enemy's will cut huge chunks of health out of you when hit.So you are forced to to input the finishers correctly or you don't get enough bonus to survive.Also critical for surviving is to spent all the points you get to your perks.So after all that said Ryse has addictive and fun challenging combat paired with a little exploration for collectibles and group formation combat.Even thou the game was short i found myself want to play more.Since i recently unlocked the legendary difficult and i haven't filled all my perks and missed some collectibles .Yes there are micro transactions in the game but if you play on hard or grind you will get enough points to almost fill your perks completely in one play trough.Besides some technical issues.
    Its a fun ,challenging and beautiful looking game.An the tragic loss ,revenge plot fits perfectly in the games setting.Music is epic orchestrated fitting. The voice acting is very professional and one reason more for me to replay the game since i haven't played the game in English yet. (i am German)Like in movies it feels different and new when its in a different language.The game creators are located in Germany so i was sure the German voice acting is going to be solid. i recommend a rent or a price drop buy .Since its a bit expensive for such a sort game.But it has some replay ability.
  59. Jan 21, 2014
    One of the best looking games Ive play, characters and there animations are gorgeous but even that cannot redeem the repetitive game play...
    Its just a button masher nothing more go to one play and button mash next place and so forth until you beat the game
  60. Apr 28, 2014
    Ryse Is beautiful, The cryengine is amazing and crytech really outdid themselves. From the dusty colosseum to the lush forest, this game looks superb. The gameplay, as you've probably heard, is a bit repetitive, but not nearly as much as everyone would lead you to suspect. The action is cool and there's plenty of blood and gore. Just because the action is repetitive doesn't mean there isn't a challenge. The campaign is beautiful and the story is interesting, I especially like how they didn't try to make an over the top story. The multiplayer is where the game becomes worth a score of 8. It's in depth and is very challenging. The arena is constantly changing and new barbarians are swarming you every minute. Even with the same combos and executions, there is no lack of action or difficulty. Also, many people complained that the slow-motion executions lose their fun halfway through the game, but that's not the case, and even if you do get bored of the executions, they are completely optional. This game needs to be in every xbox one owners library. Ryse shows exactly why the next gen is so great, and proves that the next gen was worth the investment. This game just gets me excited for what's to come. Go out and get this game, you won't regret it. Defend Rome and conquer your enemies with the best looking xbox one game released to date. Expand
  61. Apr 23, 2014
    I literally can't wait to get home everyday and play Ryse. I just can't get it off my mind. It has Unbelievanly addictive multiplayer, stunning graphics, and visuals. And dont even get me started on the campaign. It is the next thing since the last of us that actually touched my heart. With an amazing plot, and voice acting.
  62. Feb 15, 2014
    I am a huge fan of Rome games, so this game was my reason to buy a Xbox one. There are positives and negatives, so I'll make this short. It is beautiful in all aspects, only once in a while are there rendering or texture problems, but not enough to stick in your brain for long. The camera is horrid, I see more butt cheeks than I can see a field of view, and God forbid you get near a corner or smaller area...you see nothing but what's in straight in front of you while you get combo'd to death by flurry of strikes. The combat style is very cool, but it does get old, it becomes a norm to get the same 5 or so executions and then turns into kinda blah with a few surprises here and there. Sometimes the controls become lagging and so things will happen late, or you'll be hit/interrupted and THEN your command goes off, normally leading to even more damage. Deff needs to be updated at least 1 more time, but all in all, it's a Rome game with awesome graphics just the play style gets old. Would recommend renting this not buying, seeing as you can beat the game in around 20-30 hours (I did on the 3rd difficulty) and the multiplayer is just a grind fest with even MORE rinse and repeat to it. Expand
  63. Feb 9, 2014
    Graphics are amazing. Probably the best of all the next-gen games so far (across all the platforms). Story is good, not great. Action is a lot of fun. Could use more variety in terms of enemies. Some leaps in story logic. Needs multiple playthroughs to fully build your character.
  64. Mar 9, 2014
    Good story, great graphics. Ok multiplayer. Worth the $40 digital sale price MS "experimented" with. I heard Crytek is working on a sequel so I hope with more development time they can take Ryse off its linear rails and make it more open world with more variety of enemies!
  65. Feb 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game looks great. I liked it in the story, but Spoiler: I do not like that in the story added gods, what they affect, fly, etc. I think that they're special and I do not need them enough in God of War.
    The game turned a little arcade. The game should be more mature, bloody, ie more real. A good example is the series Spartacus.
    Games such a plan and themes of ancient Rome made ​​extremely small.
    It would be desirable to have more variety of enemies, and not crowd cloned dummy.
    In general, I advise developers listen to the opinions of those who have written reviews and to continue to refine these aspects of the game.
    And since everything is cool, I liked it!
    I look forward to the continuation of the game.
  66. Feb 22, 2014
    If you want an absolutely gorgeous hack-and-slash third person game, then this is for you. Crytek have indisputably made one of the most beautiful games available on console. The campaign is awesome, though at times repetitive, it delivers a consistently entertaining storyline and gameplay.
    The online multiplayer within the arena is where most of the fun is to be had. You battle around
    many different maps within the area with friends, with the legendary cooperative executions. It is an addictive experience, and if you enjoy roman/classical games or films, like 300, gladiator, or simply like the button-mashing experience that all hack-and-slash games offer, then this game will likely interest you. Expand
  67. Mar 25, 2014
    This game is decent if you like simple action games that pose no real difficulty. The story is rather generic and uninteresting. The only really good thing to say about this game is the graphics and some of the fighting that takes place in the cut scenes are terrific. The actual fighting is insanely repetitive and boring however. If you have to pay for this game, its not worth it. Borrow it or rent it and its decent. Expand
  68. Feb 22, 2014
    This is a great game however the game play's pretty repetitive, takes only 5 hours to beat, and there's basically no replay value. The graphics are amazing though (shows the potential of next gen consoles graphics) and I loved the slow motion "300" kills. The story was pretty sic and the ending hallway part was completely bad ass!
  69. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game fully expecting it to be a let down in terms of gameplay and story. What I did not expect was that these were the two aspects of the game which I really found to be quite fun. The graphics are stunning in general and numerous times in the game, I would simply gaze at the environment and the light reflecting off of your characters armour. The gameplay, admittedly, does get rather tedious when you are playing for hours and hours on end. But when have a life outside of playing video games, you will almost certainly have a blast of a time slicing and dicing the 'barbarian' hordes for an hour at a time. The story is not at all overcomplicated or award worthy, but it will leave you satisfied and is a fun mix of 300/Saving Private Ryan/Gladiator. Multiplayer is fairly enjoyable, but it quickly becomes repetitive and simply serves as a way of showing off your fancy moves to your co-op friend.

One review in particular, by CVG's Nick Cowen, I particularly disagreed with. At no point did this game say that it was historically accurate (as far as you can use that term in regards to ancient history) in its portrayal of the sack of Rome under Boudica (atop an elephant). The story is simply fun and it draws upon some historical events as an inspiration. If anyone should be offended by this portrayal of ancient history, then that would be me as I am studying History and Archaeology at university. If Nick took so much offense as to Crytek's portrayal of the Ancient Roman period in Ryse, would he have the same misgivings about the critically acclaimed God of War series for not following Greek mythology to the letter?
  70. Feb 24, 2014
    The graphics are very good and the game play is quite solid but it is repetitive. After playing through I did not have the urge to play though it again on the hardest difficulty. They also reused quite a bit of the same character models and it feel like there were 4 people that all looked the same. The lack of variety of character models kind of made the fighting boring and repetitive because you already know how that specific character model is going to fight. The story was ok and interesting to me. At full retail of $60 it feels quite lack luster overall, I would wait for a discount in price. Expand
  71. Jun 20, 2014
    Spectacular visuals are the only reason many will buy this game but once they play it will be so much more if you have a xbox one this game is a must buy. This is by far the best xbox one game i have played thus far.
  72. Feb 27, 2014
    A great and beatiful game. Really next-gen. Very good to play. Very nice scenarios. Very good action. The campain is a little bit short, but no so short as some people are saying. Multiplayer mode is not so good. It's cool, but get tired quickly. Worth the money. Very pleasant.
  73. Jun 11, 2014
    It's a wonderful game! Beautiful battles, amazing graphics and very good cinematics...The only negative is the controls which is in the game's gameplay so it isn't Microsoft's mistake...
  74. May 5, 2014
    This is more like a playable graphics demo. the graphics are amazing, but the gameplay is terrible. the hitboxes, blocky controls and choppy combat make this game extremely frustrating.
  75. Mar 16, 2014
    Ryse was a very disappointing game for me. At 60$ all you're getting is a very short, very boring story with quite possibly the most boring combat (basically the whole game) I have ever experienced. The ONLY thing this game sis worthy of is flashing it's awesome visuals. If this game were a girl, it would be a REALLY hot girl that has a TERRIBLE personality and is waiting for marriage to have sex while you've been dating for 3 years. All flash, no show. Worth 5$ or less. Expand
  76. Mar 18, 2014
    This game deserve 7 but because of all haters I give him 2 extra point.
    Graphics are awesome, best I've never seen.
    Gameplay is not that simple, so it is a good point even if it needs more actions or weapons or situation.
    The story is quite good and you want to know more about.
    And the multi players keeps me during maybe 30H.

So don't listen haters this game is good!
  77. Mar 11, 2014
    Ryse is definitely unfairly judged. It doesnt have much depth, the game is short, and the multiplayer is well... Forgettable.
    So why is it underrated? Because it is a blast. The whole game is an action packed adventure through dark jungles and crumbling cities. The story is lacking depth, but it is a fun tale with surprisingly good acting.
    It is criticized for the use of QTEs, but they
    are optional, and being able to see some awesome executions is often worth it.
    Is it a must buy? No. But there are many worse ways to spend a weekend
  78. Mar 15, 2014
    YAWN........ This is the best most beautiful looking TURD that I have ever seen. BORING. The same over and over and over and over again....... YAWN. Lazy developers giving you the moist tedious repetitive game that has ever been produced.
  79. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    t's a game you'd rather not pay 60 bucks for or 1 dollar for either. It's a pretty tech demo with no actual gameplay.
  80. Mar 20, 2014
    This was my first "Next Gen" game and initially I was blown away by it, but after time I became numb to that and then it became very repetitive. The multi player let me play the game for a few more hours, fun but boring and unchallenging after a while.
  81. Mar 20, 2014
    Absolutely misleading graphs. Perfect elements contrast with serrated negligible in some detail. Storyline cliche.

Where is the difficulty of this game that I find?
  82. Apr 20, 2014
    I planned on getting the Xone when Titan fall came out, and I picked up Ryse for the heck of it. I played it over the weekend and it is a lot of fun. I was worried it was too short for a 60$ game, but I will play it through again at least a few more times. It looks great, the story is good, and the combat is fun. I love the arkham games, and this is kind of like those. I love both systems so far, not a fanboy of either, I would pick this up for sure, now that the price has gone down. Expand
  83. Oct 12, 2014
    Ryse is fast, fun, and beautiful. It's an exceptional feat given it was a launch title from a third party developer. It absolutely deserves your attention and is a fantastic game. The sound and art design are unmatched. The story is elements also draw you in. The game deserves higher scores and stronger sales.
  84. Oct 7, 2014
    People have been extremely unfair with this game. Maybe it is not the best game ever, but it is good enough & the graphics & the atmosphere are outstanding
  85. Jun 2, 2014
    Fantastic graphics engine but feel more like a E3 Reveal game and that's what it is. The storyline is ok at times but really does not deliver the promise of an in-depth gaming experience. I really wanted to like this game, I really did. But I just couldn't...
  86. Jun 4, 2014
    Its repetitive. Its repetitive. Graphics are good. Graphics are good. Atmosphere is great. Atmosphere is great. Combat is fun for two hours.Combat is fun for two hours. 60 bucks it too much. 60 bucks is too much.
    Very good rent. Very good rent.
  87. Jun 16, 2014
    This game is stunningly beautiful, feels amazing, and is full of spectacle. Plus, the story is awesome. Still, the gameplay lacks depth and the game isn't worth $60 for a decent multiplayer and 6 hour campaign. Also, there are only like three or four different enemy models. It becomes very repetitive. Despite all these things, this game is will blow you away with its graphics and the way it feels, plays, and pulls you along with its story. I'd recommend it for an awesome Roman flair added to a unique version of sword gameplay that has become to feel familiar in other games. Expand
  88. Jun 22, 2014
    Good game and especially good value if you can get hold of it around £30.

Game looks visually awesome, so much detail in the environments and the in game characters, especially in the cut scenes. The game is a standard hack and slash, one button for sword, one for shield and so on. Have to use different combos against different enemies and in most cases timing is essential. I never get
    bored of the executions. Enemies attack similar to Assassins Creed games but much more unforgiving.

Story and setting is very fresh and well told, each level in a new environment so you are never really in the same place twice. Some nice little features in the game play which take advantage of using Roman soldiers (Like calling for a volley of arrows or advancing forward as a unit while under fire from enemy archers).

On the other end of it, the enemies are a bit repetitive with not much variation between them (Some are obviously harder than others) shame really because it would be a bit more engrossing if there was some change between them on some of the levels. I liked the idea of using your experience to purchase new executions and other additions to your character but it leaves much more to be desired and could of been much deeper.

The Multiplayer coop area of the game is quite fun to play but you couldn't really have the game without focusing on the Single player section. I think for those who like hack and slash the game is worth buying.
  89. Jul 22, 2014
    Great game, the only mediocre thing is fighting mechanics - it's a bit repetitive and boss fights are annoying because of that. But everything else is really good, sometimes stunning visuals and amazing story will hold your attention until the end credits. Game is not perfectly polished and sometimes runs not so smoothly as it should be. Final of the game is awesome, reminds me of Oldboy)))) Overall, Son of Rome is superb X1 exclusive and very very strong start up title. Expand
  90. Sep 23, 2014
    Good and intresting story. Fun gameplay (God Of War alike) and about the quicktime event, you dont have to do them, I rather beat them to death. Multiplayer that last for hours adn hours! Great graphics and animation. I want a Ryse 2!!
  91. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is not worth buying. While visually stunning that appears all they were going for. User controls are VERY slow in responding and the moves you can do for a "kill" seem random. On "Legendary" level it just gets ridiculous. You get killed by 3 hits in full armor, yet you have to hit a Barbarian wearing nothing but cloth 10 times at least to kill him. And the views in battle are terrible. The screen shifts and all of a sudden an enemy shows up to kill you that you didn't even know was there. There is no open roaming and the direction you have to go is usually unclear. They say it took 7 years to make this game?? WTF? They should have just made it a CGF movie instead. Don't waste your time. Expand
  92. Sep 21, 2014
    2/10 because it is not worth the price tag. This game should be free to Xbox One owners, or at the very most cost $10, because you will not get anymore than 5 hours into this game without being bored. It looks fantastic, the acting is great, but it is so repetitive you lose interest within 5 hours.
  93. Oct 22, 2014
    I don't get all these bad reviews, Ryse is The Best next gen game so far, more fun than God of War: Ascension and more movie like then Beyond Two Souls.

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.