Doom 3 Xbox

7.4

1. Sep 27, 2013
    Rather underwhelming when compared to the first two games. Visually it was breathtaking on the Xbox when it first came out, sound and score created a nice creepy atmosphere. Gameplay feels a little dumbed down most of the time, trying too hard to supplement jump scares for the heart pounding action of the previous games.

Overall: While it was a good attempt to bring Doom to the modern

Overall:
    While it was a good attempt to bring Doom to the modern age, it sacrifices too much of what made the first games great: Fear inducing non-stop action.
  2. Jazzbo
    Jun 17, 2005
    Biggest pros: Game play, graphics, lighting, look/feel Biggest cons: campaign felt mostly SSDD from one scenario to the next, no split-screen multiplayer (for those of us that aren't online and/or like to frag friends that we can also throw Corn-Nuts at), didn't live up to th hype.
  3. NickT.
    Jun 10, 2005
    I was very impressed by this game... FOR THE FIRST HOUR! Sure, this game is mighty pretty but that doesn't make up for the fact that it is the most repetitive FPS of the last few years. The "amazing atmosphere" that critics speak of can be found, but it only lingers for a small amount of time because after an hour or so of gameplay one knows what to expect around the next corner. The I was very impressed by this game... FOR THE FIRST HOUR! Sure, this game is mighty pretty but that doesn't make up for the fact that it is the most repetitive FPS of the last few years. The "amazing atmosphere" that critics speak of can be found, but it only lingers for a small amount of time because after an hour or so of gameplay one knows what to expect around the next corner. The entire game is played throughout the same metal corridors with a few minutes of playtime in Hell. This game is fun, of course, but suffice to say that if this game had the same graphics of say... Halo or Area 51, it would not be touted as the game the critics are touting it as. I understand that this game was meant to hark back to the days of the original, old-school Doom and I appreciate that fact, but gamers craving innovation will be gravely dissappointed. I am perfectly open to mindless shooting, but it better not be presented in the same, boring, brooding hallways for more than 8 hours. Rent this, play it for a few hours, then return it. For the love of MONEY do not waste $50 on this game. Fin. Expand
  4. JeffreyN.
    May 22, 2005
    This game was o.k. I expected it to be way better. This game had o.k. graphics and weird monsters. This game was not that great. Not even close to worth buying though.
  5. TommyC.
    May 2, 2005
    Doom 3 is a special horror ever. I like very much this game because it has a good sound and good graphics. Thank You.
  6. DaneR.
    Apr 28, 2005
    When I first got the collectors addtion it was great with different modes{ Doom 1 Doom 2 and Doom 3} when i played Doom 3 it was okay but there wasnt many ways to get through the game but then i looked and found a cheat that would make me invincible so the game would be possible to beat.
  7. Alex
    Apr 26, 2005
    Well, Doom 3 isn't bad, but it isn't great. its got a ways to go before it can match up with recent big-hitters such as Halo 2 or Half-Life 2. graphics are pure eye candy, and the game is fairly scary. it starts out by getting you into a nice false sence of security (but not so much that the opening climax doesn't make sence), then escalates into an all out frag fest withWell, Doom 3 isn't bad, but it isn't great. its got a ways to go before it can match up with recent big-hitters such as Halo 2 or Half-Life 2. graphics are pure eye candy, and the game is fairly scary. it starts out by getting you into a nice false sence of security (but not so much that the opening climax doesn't make sence), then escalates into an all out frag fest with demons and zomibes. however, even through all the chaos and spookiness, Doom 3 manages to remain somewhat shallow and prepetitive. and whats the point of that annoying screen blur every time you take damage? Expand
  8. Nihilistic
    Apr 12, 2005
    Wow, I was really expecting to love this game but I have to definitely agree with the reviewers who noted that the game offers very little in the way of innovation. The gameplay is extremely linear and straight-forward and are very few opportunities offering any kind of open-endedness to the gameplay. You basically follow the track they've laid out for you the entire game, with the Wow, I was really expecting to love this game but I have to definitely agree with the reviewers who noted that the game offers very little in the way of innovation. The gameplay is extremely linear and straight-forward and are very few opportunities offering any kind of open-endedness to the gameplay. You basically follow the track they've laid out for you the entire game, with the minor exception of sometimes being able to take an air vent shortcut here and there, blecch. The gameplay tends to get repetitive very quickly and I often had to force myself to pick up the controller and play this game rather than have that enjoyable feeling where you are dying to play the game every chance you can get (which is the true sign of a great video game). The scenery gets tedious after a while as you can only see so many pipes and metal rooms and corridors before you want to kill yourself. There are very few interactive things to play with in the rooms but one of the touches I did actually enjoy was using the computers and the PDAs. I liked how your target turned into a cursor whenever you ran it over a computer screen and I also enjoyed the audio and video files you were able to pick up and use on your PDA. As for the creatures, they are definitely the best and most redeeming part of this game and had it not been for the ingenuity and creativity the designers put into the creation of these ghastly, disturbing creatures, I would have rated the game much lower. You will definitely have a few minor scares here and there as creatures are prone to jumping out of dark shadows and hidden rooms throughtout the entire game. The creature's graphics are absolutely where most of the innovation for this game went towards and my only wish is that the designers would have used that same creativity and applied it to the rest of the game rather than taking the boring route with the linear gameplay, mundane environments and lack of interactive things to do besides shooting monsters. Expand
  9. Scramjet
    Apr 10, 2005
    In one sentence: Pop goes the zombie. If you were one of those savant kids that was endlessly amused by the jack in the box, you'll get your mileage out of Doom 3. If you're still eating paste, you will too. Technically impressive, but the one note gets tiring. Cheap and evenly-spaced fun-house thrills, but without the date -- but the fanboys won't know what they're missing.
  10. fogd00d
    Apr 5, 2005
    I'll admit, the first hour of play I had a few good genuine chills -- the kind where your scalp tingles and your chest goes cold -- but after 4 hours solid, I'm glad I rented this title first. After the first few cheap scares, tip toeing waiting to trigger the next beast gets pretty old, pretty fast. Plus, if you've seen one room filled with pipes and random nameless I'll admit, the first hour of play I had a few good genuine chills -- the kind where your scalp tingles and your chest goes cold -- but after 4 hours solid, I'm glad I rented this title first. After the first few cheap scares, tip toeing waiting to trigger the next beast gets pretty old, pretty fast. Plus, if you've seen one room filled with pipes and random nameless equipment, you've seen 'em all. I was afraid that the port from the PC wouldn't be able to maintain framerate but with such perpetually limited draw distance (read: you're almost always in a dark maze) it turns out to not be a problem. This is the first ID title to let me down, having otherwise been a borderline fan-boy since Wolfenstein 3D some 15 years ago. At least I haven't lost my critical perspective? Maybe the multiplayer kicks butt, but if I can't at least get my $$$ worth out of the single-player, I don't see a buy. Plus, Halo and Splinter Cell have both set the bar pretty high for multiplayer, I can't see Doom3 bringing anything new to the table for me. Maybe if I'd upgraded my PC's video card and played this over a year ago, I might have been a little more impressed. As others have said, this feels more like a tech demo than a legitimate game. Carmack and the ID guys may still be technical geniuses, but I can't wait to see what a shop with some IMAGINATIVE genuises can do with this engine. I'm giving this an overly high 6, but only because the overall level of quality and some technical aspects are above what many higher-ranked titles have achieved. Expand
  11. Bas
    Apr 3, 2005
    Same boring PC game, but with lesser graphics, no ability the use the duct tape mod, and horrible leveldesign. Like the PC version, it's more of a techdemo then a real game.

#2 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2005
#2 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2005

1. Grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until your eyes bulge, your face turns blue, and your heart thuds against your rib cage like a charging rhino... Screw the PC version. This feels like the game Xbox was always meant to host. [Feb 2005, p.81; NOTE: 1UP's Doom 3 review is simply XBN's review republished without credit.]
  2. Doom 3 won't win prizes for originality, but for low-key storytelling combined with all-out action and immense atmosphere, it's deserving of any shooter fan's time.
  3. If there's light beyond the fringes of Doom 3 multiplayer, it's the eternal flame of id's past: the perfect emulations of "Ultimate Doom" and "Doom II."