Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox

8.6

1. MichaelB.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Frink, you will pie. Best single player FPS I've ever played, and best multiplayer on any console game, FPS or not.
  2. BatmanMonkeyman
    Jul 24, 2004
    Halo is awesome...It is still a good game...that guy that said the Health is too low in multiplayer...WHAT???? you can set your armor and health...its like the most armor in any game...and sniping isnt cheap you can dodge easily...and you cant sit in a corner and use the shotgun they can throw grenades there...u must have played for like 10mins...
  3. AlanC.
    Aug 12, 2004
    This game is probably the 1 of the best first-person shooters ever. It is by far my favorite game. I love killing the covenent army. #1 reason is the noises they make when they die. #2 the cool alien blue and purple blood. and #3 the sweet multi-player mode which allows you to create game types.
  4. ProphecyL.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Now id give it a nine because there is one level i hate it's long and it gets repetetive (library) but i cant because that is the only thing i didnt like about it o yeah and the other thing was when i beat it i thought id get to see his face but i didn't. Now for the rest the graphics storyline and personal interest they get a 10/10 for sure now for everyone who is using theNow id give it a nine because there is one level i hate it's long and it gets repetetive (library) but i cant because that is the only thing i didnt like about it o yeah and the other thing was when i beat it i thought id get to see his face but i didn't. Now for the rest the graphics storyline and personal interest they get a 10/10 for sure now for everyone who is using the excuse of the vehicals then it proves u havent played the game till the 5th level and u are jealous u can't beat it. My final point is that dont rate this game poorly if u own a ps2 and are jealous that bungie won't make it on ps2 for the rest keep gaming and halo 2 is coming out november 9th. Expand
  5. Opethian
    Aug 2, 2004
    Good game, but Metroid Prime kicks its ass...
  6. AdamL.
    Nov 29, 2005
    Wow! Good Multiplayer maps that include intrest and the 1 player is da bomb! This game is the only one I have ever been able to say it's worth every sent of the 50 bucks you pay!
  7. JeffA.
    Oct 15, 2005
    After trading and missing this masterpiece game I just bought it again. It's much better than Halo 2. Halo is the best videogame on any console ever.
  8. JoelF.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Amazing graphics, beyond anything I have ever played, the only other game thet comes colse to this unbeliviable game is halo 2. bungie done an amazing job.
  9. SPYBREAK
    Apr 6, 2005
    The best game ever made for the XBox, ever.
  10. Rambo
    Sep 13, 2005
    Best game ever, and anyone who says different its me in a dark alley with a baseball bat verse you. I mean energy sword.But seriously who needs chicks when you got Master Chief.
  11. eddieh.
    Sep 2, 2005
    Just found this site, it's real cool. Halo is my favorite game of all time. I think it's even better than the second.
  12. HectorP.
    Sep 6, 2005
    It is own of the best shooters for its time ,and it is still better than the second one.
  13. DanM.
    Feb 18, 2006
    An amazing game that will keep you playing for hours on end.
  14. MichaelA.
    Mar 12, 2006
    I just have to say that this is one of the best games I have ever played! The graphics were good. The story was awesome. The characters were really cool. There was much variety in the weapons, vehicles, and other items. And finally, the boards were very creative. For those of you who don't have an X Box, buy one now and make sure that this will one of the first games you buy for this I just have to say that this is one of the best games I have ever played! The graphics were good. The story was awesome. The characters were really cool. There was much variety in the weapons, vehicles, and other items. And finally, the boards were very creative. For those of you who don't have an X Box, buy one now and make sure that this will one of the first games you buy for this system. I didn't give this a 10 because I need to leave room for improvement. Bungie, great job! Expand
  15. OisinD.
    Apr 18, 2006
    A simply stunning game that reinvigorates the fps, there are times you feel cheated with the repeated level design but apart from that it is flawless.
  16. CiaranG.
    Jun 20, 2006
    Every aspect of this game is brilliant. Brilliant one player mode, brilliant online and offline multiplayer, brilliant music, good graphics.
  17. DavidV.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Fantastic storyline and gameplay make this a very enjoayble game to play. One of the best games I've played on X-Box.
  18. CourtneyS.
    Feb 12, 2007
    Halo is definitely the best game I've ever played. Seriously. The graphics are amazing and the story was well planned.
  19. RobertS.
    Jun 25, 2007
    If your playing a 3 vs 3 or more capture the flag game with a good strategy in your head on a good map, no game is better.
  20. JackB.
    Jul 9, 2007
    An awsome shooter with nonstop action, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
  21. sdfdsafsgdsdag
    Nov 29, 2008
    Oh? You want to know about innovation do you? How about a ground breaking regenerating health system - since a staple in modern FPS - vehicles affected by physics long before HL2 was released, a control system that STILL has to be bettered nearly 5 years later, and is now also a staple in all console FPS and I haven't even mentioned it's biggest innovation. Before Halo, console Oh? You want to know about innovation do you? How about a ground breaking regenerating health system - since a staple in modern FPS - vehicles affected by physics long before HL2 was released, a control system that STILL has to be bettered nearly 5 years later, and is now also a staple in all console FPS and I haven't even mentioned it's biggest innovation. Before Halo, console FPS had no story. Halo was to the console shooters what Half Life was to the PC ones. You say halo has no innovation? Expand
  22. PerI.
    Jan 15, 2008
    A kick-ass game which open my eyes for "smart" FPS-games.
  23. WilliamT.
    Jan 21, 2008
    A triumph. Halo is one of the best games you'll find on the XBox even to this day. While it's not very deep and the later levels feel a tad recylcled, the solid story and action make it a classic and a blast to play.
  24. PatrickP
    Dec 3, 2008
    This game is absolutely nothing short of amazing. An incredible story, insanely intelligent enemies, and huge levels. The lack of online play, and the short campaign is all that keeps this from getting a perfect 10.
  25. NateC
    Oct 25, 2008
    Oh, this rating was easy. Definitely the most memorable of the series. Sure its options pale in comparison to Halo 2 or especially 3, but damn this game is still amazing. The graphics, story, AI, gameplay, and the multi-player. That alone made for fun with 16 friends (if you had the means of doing so) that lasted for hours on end. Single-player on Legendary is almost as memorable, as Oh, this rating was easy. Definitely the most memorable of the series. Sure its options pale in comparison to Halo 2 or especially 3, but damn this game is still amazing. The graphics, story, AI, gameplay, and the multi-player. That alone made for fun with 16 friends (if you had the means of doing so) that lasted for hours on end. Single-player on Legendary is almost as memorable, as it's definitely the way to play providing you don't suck at the game. So does this game deserve the 10 I'm giving it? Absolutely. Expand
  26. MichaelF.
    Aug 23, 2008
    Sorry Anonymous (considering you're probably scared you're going to get torn apart on here), but people don't care about the originality. People care about the gameplay.. and Halo: Combat Evolved pulled this off perfectly.
  27. BrandonH.
    Oct 12, 2009
    This game is amazing. The first console shooter that I REALLY enjoyed. It was revolutionary for its time in that it brought so many things to consoles that have never been done before and did them very well. I don't understand how anyone could rate this game so low as a 2 or 0. My real rating for this game is a 9, but to offset the low scores I went ahead and put 10.
  28. ChrisS
    Oct 13, 2009
    One of the best games ever made. It single handedly made the Xbox what it is today and set standards for other First person shooters. Anyone who has voted lower than a 8 is either insane or just bias.
  29. RodericR
    Jul 11, 2009
    My memories of this amazing game will not abate. It was absolutely stunning visually, perfect and addictive multiplayer, and I thoroughly enjoyed the extensive levels and story.
  30. SanzeeBoy
    Jul 29, 2009
    This game changed the FPS genre forever. The negative user scores for this game to stem from nothing but fanboyism. The critics testify of Halo's divine legacy. You can believe 99% of Halo's fanbase, including professional critics, or the shrinking fanbase of Sony's playstation game console. Truly superb in every way possible. It doesn't take a genius to know a great This game changed the FPS genre forever. The negative user scores for this game to stem from nothing but fanboyism. The critics testify of Halo's divine legacy. You can believe 99% of Halo's fanbase, including professional critics, or the shrinking fanbase of Sony's playstation game console. Truly superb in every way possible. It doesn't take a genius to know a great game. The numbers prove it, and the gameplay proves it as well. Halo: CE has left behind a legacy which remains to this day. Expand
  31. GlenS.
    Nov 21, 2001
    BRRRRRIIIIIILLLLLIIIIIAAAAANNNNNTTTT!
  32. DanS.
    Dec 12, 2001
    The AI in this game is amazing, in no other game have I seen an enemy dive away from a grenade, or try to flank me.
  33. PatH.
    Dec 18, 2001
    Sweet. Addictive. More options in the controller settings would be nice though.
  34. SamS.
    Jan 12, 2002
    It is the best game ever. It totally outruns every other game system.
  35. BradG.
    Nov 4, 2002
    This Is The Best Game I Ever Played!!!!
  36. JonathanD.
    Dec 10, 2002
    The best game on Xbox so far. Halo shines with its amazing graphics and enemy A.I., but it has some flaws that are hard to ignore; namely, no bots in multiplayer mode (though it's great if you have four Xboxes) and only six weapons. It may not match the sheer brilliance of Perfect Dark, but this is still the second-best FPS ever. No Xbox owner should be without Halo. I can't The best game on Xbox so far. Halo shines with its amazing graphics and enemy A.I., but it has some flaws that are hard to ignore; namely, no bots in multiplayer mode (though it's great if you have four Xboxes) and only six weapons. It may not match the sheer brilliance of Perfect Dark, but this is still the second-best FPS ever. No Xbox owner should be without Halo. I can't wait for the sequel! Expand
  37. E-manA.
    Dec 6, 2002
    God this is great.
  38. ChrisS.
    May 31, 2002
    Put it this way...one of my friends suggested I trade it in for something new and I almost wept at the thought. I will never part with it...never.
  39. J.Black
    Jul 17, 2002
    One of the best games ever. Can't wait till Halo 2.
  40. AbsoluteZero
    Sep 23, 2002
    It has changed my life...
  41. GaborA.
    Nov 11, 2003
    Campaign mode is well done and exciting but falls in the same pit as many FPS before it like Golden Eye as in the enemies are not challenging just merely endless. However, just like Golden Eye this Halo is the best multiplayer experience out there. Nothing compares and if for nothing else the single player mode can be used for practice for the ingenious mulitplayer mode.
  42. TheFounder
    Nov 12, 2003
    This game has the best multiplayer and Campaign mode ever! Half life blows, and the people who dislike it, can't fathom this game, or have the skill to play it! People can acoused that the missions are repetative, but they don't look deeper. When you enter a house in saburbia you will find one thing: they are repetative. You need to realize that you won't find another game This game has the best multiplayer and Campaign mode ever! Half life blows, and the people who dislike it, can't fathom this game, or have the skill to play it! People can acoused that the missions are repetative, but they don't look deeper. When you enter a house in saburbia you will find one thing: they are repetative. You need to realize that you won't find another game thats make you think damn it! When you have five Elites, and two squads of Grunts shooting at you from every angle you'll appriciate this game. If any of you Halo-Haters have the balls, play it on Legendary. They "stupid AI" will tear you a new assh.le! Then latter in the game the Flood come into play! And as for Multiplayer, bots ruin FPS's! They are repetative drones, that take away the fun, and make the game droll. Halo, forces you to find other people, and "interact" with them. I know that the gamming comunity has problems with that sometimes too. You will never have more fun in you're life until you play a 16 person team Slayer game, with Rockets! As for the story line, it's bad ass! The implications of the Covenant, and the creation of Halo is amazing! The Flood don't look like anything I've ever seen before. Half-Lifes parasites are different, and for all you people out there: if Halo isn't original with the Floods design, the neither is Half-Life, or Doom, or any other FPS. You can attribute the designs to Aliens, and Aliens to Gigers works. What you need to look at is this: they are called the Flood, and they earn that name by overwhelming you and riping you to shreds! There is not another game that can offer gameplay that makes you feel like you're in combat! What other game has a fucking tank, or a warthog that you and you're friends can ride? Half-Life? NO! Where else can you fight enemies that will tear you to shreds, and use TACTICS! Half-Life? NO! Halo is the best game FPS wise, hands down, and without question. When Halo II comes out, nothing will stand before it! Besides Fable comes out around that time too! Half-Life II will be a small shade of grey compared to both these games! I have to reinterate: if Halo is a 10, then Halo II is 11! Expand
  43. BrianK.
    Nov 13, 2003
    BEST GAME EVER!!! it would've been better though if they would've had bots in multiplayer!! Still best game ever!!!
  44. DustinK.
    Nov 19, 2003
    I have one thing to say to anybody who gave this game anyless than a 10 eat the poo, I mean really that rating just tells me that you lack the skill that it takes to master a game like that. I want to see you take on the flood and the covenant on legendary mode and tell me its easy i guarantee that you cannot beat any one level in less than an hour. Oh yeah and anyway i think we need to I have one thing to say to anybody who gave this game anyless than a 10 eat the poo, I mean really that rating just tells me that you lack the skill that it takes to master a game like that. I want to see you take on the flood and the covenant on legendary mode and tell me its easy i guarantee that you cannot beat any one level in less than an hour. Oh yeah and anyway i think we need to get a little multiplayer going so i can eat you for lunch just to make me feel better about you pathetic rating skills. Expand
  45. NickD.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Obviously a 10. I agree I think we should get some multiplayer going. Anybody play XBC?
  46. AlexR.
    Oct 13, 2003
    This is by far the greatest first person shooter of all time, I challenge anyone to try and find a better game, just wait for the sequel, it will blow your mind!
  47. MasterChief
    Oct 14, 2003
    What is wrong with those who gave it below 10. It's either they've never played Halo before or they just gave it a random score. Perfect level designed made it superior to any other game ever made. Now I admit Starcraft RTS was superb but Microsoft has topped Blizzard with this thriller. But there is something I dont get. Even FIFA 2003 has been realeased as a "classics" game What is wrong with those who gave it below 10. It's either they've never played Halo before or they just gave it a random score. Perfect level designed made it superior to any other game ever made. Now I admit Starcraft RTS was superb but Microsoft has topped Blizzard with this thriller. But there is something I dont get. Even FIFA 2003 has been realeased as a "classics" game but Halo has not and it's still $99.99 at some places. Apart from that it was the best hundered bucks I've ever spent. I'll be playing it for years to come and not get bored of it. The only thing that will stop me from playing halo is the Cd Snapping. 8.8 overall score is an underrating. Expand
  48. BitBurn
    Nov 7, 2003
    What a ride. Beautiful graphics, wicked storyline and phenomenal multiplayer support.
  49. GeoffS.
    Dec 23, 2003
    What are you guys smoking?!?!?! Halo is one of the best games in the history of the world. The single player is amazing, but it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I don't know how many countless hours I have spent playing 2v2, 4v4 or 8v8 halo with system link. It is pure heaven. Someone name a better multiplayer console game. Go ahead and try, its impossible.
  50. Legendary
    Dec 29, 2003
    Everyone who gave this game something below the green levels is a sh..head. This game is great.
  51. SerenePhoenix
    Feb 18, 2003
    Excellent, multiplayer is fun although slightly lacking...
  52. MichaelN.
    Feb 21, 2003
    Let's just say that i thought about it at work, on the train to and from work, at home, asleep and at meal-times.....if i could remember to eat......the only thing i could think about was: "How am i going to get out to the other checkpoint?...." I made it back to the pickup (at the end of the game) with 2 seconds to spare on the clock......i let out a howl worse than anything living Let's just say that i thought about it at work, on the train to and from work, at home, asleep and at meal-times.....if i could remember to eat......the only thing i could think about was: "How am i going to get out to the other checkpoint?...." I made it back to the pickup (at the end of the game) with 2 seconds to spare on the clock......i let out a howl worse than anything living in the forests of transylvannia! I rest my case. Expand
  53. RiccardoV.
    Mar 22, 2003
    Simply beautiful!
  54. Echohammer419
    Mar 28, 2003
    Super Game! Even though some gamplay is repetitive, the addictive level of this holy grail of games won't make you think twice about how great this is. It is superpurb. Nothing like playing against 15 other friends. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do right now. Buy it! You WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED. I GUARRENTEE IT!
  55. AnthonyH.
    Apr 26, 2003
    I've half finshed this game so far. i love this game beacuse you could get the enimes car's,weopons,and grenades. this game is too easy' but cool!
  56. MikeO.
    Apr 27, 2003
    This is the closest game to perfection, there is nothing like it and I onlt hope that Halo 2 can at least match it's uniqueness.
  57. Mkus23
    Jul 31, 2003
    I would LOVE to see the 10 games that "Michael" considers to be classics for the Gamecube. None approach Halo in any arena, least of all the overhyped and overrated Metroid Prime or Zelda Windraper. Stinks to be jealous, eh?
  58. Ofurbiznaz
    Jul 31, 2003
    This come comes as close as i've ever seen to being perfect. With an original story line, impressive AI, amazing graphics, and in your face action Halo proves that it deserved the Game of the Year award and it is still the best game around. The only game that could possibly be better would be Halo 2...which is something i cant wait to be released.
  59. JonathonW.
    Aug 15, 2003
    two words, Super Sweet!
  60. PramodJ.
    Aug 25, 2003
    This game is DEFINITELY the best game ever!!!! John H., Ricky, and Jimmy are probably into ps2, which is good, but not better then XBOX!!!
  61. ElijahH.
    Oct 12, 2004
    This is by far, The best game i have EVER played! I cant wait till Halo2 comes out! only 27 days, 6 hours, 33 Minutes and 18 Seconds! Sandman
  62. MattZ.
    Jan 13, 2004
    The game got 26 100 up top... thats a rediculous score. an all around awesome game.
  63. JustinM.
    Jan 18, 2004
    Don't get me wrong I like Halo, but I just didn't find it to be that amazingly great. i liked half-life a lot better. i would give half-life a nine and lliked it a little better than halo so i give halo an 8. just not enough weapons and i also thought some of the levels got boring.
  64. RazorX.
    Oct 19, 2004
    This game is so awesome! I've still haven't gotten bored of it after, 3 years!
  65. JoshB.
    Mar 21, 2004
    This game is the best thing ever!!! Single player is bomb! System link multiplayer is better than anything!! No joke!! Playing system link Halo is better than a girlfriend!!!
  66. Bob
    Jul 14, 2004
    Good Points Blood.
  67. GalnT.
    Jul 28, 2004
    It is awesome!
  68. TobyM.
    Aug 28, 2004
    Wow this game is the best i have played in a long long time and the second halo is even better when i heard it was coming out i reserved my copy rite away.
  69. FredB.
    Oct 18, 2006
    Might just be the best game of all time and I must say I have had the game for about 6 years and I still play it. It's one of those games that if you don't have it.... get it, if you have it..... keep it.
  70. ShawnR.
    Apr 17, 2006
    Easily the most innovative and groundbreaking FPS. Every new control scheme is influenced by it and the multiplayer is enjoyable for years.
  71. FraserW.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Incredible. I was fully a hater of this game prior to owning an Xbox. Without many games i asked my friends to loan me Halo and i fell in love. After my first kill with that pistol i neve quit until this pesky part with that flood disease, still great game.
  72. Phate
    Jan 22, 2007
    The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is intriguing and has a lot of depth unlike most other games...what else can I say? Go buy a copy of Halo!
  73. Adrian
    Sep 18, 2007
    With a simple, yet engaging storyline (that is everything true science-fiction should be), interesting characters and settings, and an intense and frantic style of gameplay, Halo: Combat Evolved stands way out (and alone) among other first-person shooters.
  74. Mr.Mellowguy
    Sep 18, 2007
    Was able to master control scheme for FPS on a console, and a great backstory. It doesn't add many new features to FPS in general, but it combines all the best features extremely well.
  75. BradleyH.
    Sep 28, 2007
    Great game all around. It was definately a giant step forewars for the FPS genre and don't let anyone tell you differently.
  76. JohnE.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Halo was the reason I bought an Xbox, and it still amazes me with its originality and overall sense of environment and level design. It used the best aspects of the Xbox and was an amazing start to a series that still captivates today.
  77. AaronM
    Jun 23, 2008
    This was a great game. Not as good as the Half-Life series, but stiil very good. Then there was Halo 2 (crap), and Halo 3 couldn't fully recover. Ten years from now, we'll be saying "Remember the time when Halo was good?" 2001 - 2003 FTW!
  78. WhoKnows
    Sep 23, 2008
    Oke, don't understand me wrong now, Halo was a great shooter when it came out, but you should be realistic. Just because it was the first shooter on xbox doesn't mean it deserves a score of 100. Graphics were good for its days, but so were the graphics of DooM. Gameplay wise it could be best described as mixing Quake 3 with Call of Duty, not a bad mix but not a match made in Oke, don't understand me wrong now, Halo was a great shooter when it came out, but you should be realistic. Just because it was the first shooter on xbox doesn't mean it deserves a score of 100. Graphics were good for its days, but so were the graphics of DooM. Gameplay wise it could be best described as mixing Quake 3 with Call of Duty, not a bad mix but not a match made in heaven aether... It a good shooter, but not outstanding. Expand
  79. ErikS
    Nov 3, 2009
    8.5 Halo was one of those games that my friend owned before me and was the reason I bought an Xbox but once I really got into it I realized that once you get to flood theirs nothing to keep you going all the gameplay gets really repetitive. On the other hand multiplayer is the one reason I kept on playing (still to this day halo3 at friends) because I just loved to stick my friends with 8.5 Halo was one of those games that my friend owned before me and was the reason I bought an Xbox but once I really got into it I realized that once you get to flood theirs nothing to keep you going all the gameplay gets really repetitive. On the other hand multiplayer is the one reason I kept on playing (still to this day halo3 at friends) because I just loved to stick my friends with plasmas and talk !@#$ Expand
  80. PaulK.
    Dec 17, 2001
    Awesome detail in 1 player mode. More fun in multiplayer than should be allowed by law!!! Best game ever played.
  81. ChristopherB.
    Dec 19, 2001
    The most fun I've had in a game! The amazing story, graphics, sound, attention to detail, AI, etc. combine to make the whole MUCH greater than the sum of its parts. Halo simply puts you there.
  82. BrettB.
    Dec 27, 2001
    Amazing, one of the best games, if not the best game, ever produced to this day.
  83. JustinJ.
    Dec 14, 2002
    Damn this is the best damn game I've ever played, i dont think they'll ever make a game this good until halo 2 comes out. this game is the reason why i got xbox, without this game xbox would just be crap.
  84. FatChowmein
    Dec 17, 2002
    Awesome. With movies, games, books, I look for the entertainment that leaves a lasting impression. Remember the first time you saw the T-Rex scene on Jurassic Park, Star Wars (1977), Indiana Jones, the first 20 min of Saving Private Ryan, the "I'll be back" scene in Terminator, the first time you played Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc? Remember the first time you Awesome. With movies, games, books, I look for the entertainment that leaves a lasting impression. Remember the first time you saw the T-Rex scene on Jurassic Park, Star Wars (1977), Indiana Jones, the first 20 min of Saving Private Ryan, the "I'll be back" scene in Terminator, the first time you played Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc? Remember the first time you encountered the flood? Bloody magnificent. A must have that should be the first title bought with the first purchase of the Xbox. Now, if I could only find a cheat to unlock the tank throughout the entire game... Expand
  85. Chels
    Dec 29, 2002
    This is a above an beyond game!!!! this is why i bought the xbox console!!!! I cn't wait for the sec. one!!!!!
  86. WilleN.
    Nov 25, 2003
    This game gets more and more fun everytime you play it and when Halo 2 comes out it will kick ass. No game will never compete against Halo nothing will be better than this game and to all those people that gave it lower than 10 what the hell is wrong with people. Maybe its just that you don't have an Xbox and never did played Halo oer maybe you don't know what is a good First This game gets more and more fun everytime you play it and when Halo 2 comes out it will kick ass. No game will never compete against Halo nothing will be better than this game and to all those people that gave it lower than 10 what the hell is wrong with people. Maybe its just that you don't have an Xbox and never did played Halo oer maybe you don't know what is a good First Person Shooter. Expand
  87. LeighM.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Perfect First Game For The Xbox! A Must Have.
  88. CorT.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Made me glad I never followed thru with suicide and lived long enough to experience this game.
  89. GeorgeP.
    Dec 24, 2004
    Even the glitches are fun!
  90. Dec 30, 2010
    a near perfect shooter in its day that felt it raised the bar for FPS games unfortunitly this is the one and only good halo game in the series. the game starts as you waking up from cryo statis as the master chief a cyborg bad ass that can kick some covenent butt . the game has a great selection of guns and one of the few games where i just loved sniping in it. it felt so fluid and justa near perfect shooter in its day that felt it raised the bar for FPS games unfortunitly this is the one and only good halo game in the series. the game starts as you waking up from cryo statis as the master chief a cyborg bad ass that can kick some covenent butt . the game has a great selection of guns and one of the few games where i just loved sniping in it. it felt so fluid and just fun. it also has co op which really makes it a more enjoyable game with a friend . the story is so-so as you feel like you are in the middle of a story with out much informing you on whats been going on overal . the controls are solid and the health shield system i really liked . the real major draw back is there was no multiplayer unless you had a computer and played it on gamespy or xbox connect . if MS had set this game up for multiplayer when xbox live came out or even realsed a patch or a new halo 1.5 game with it i could almost seeing giving this game a 10. Expand
  91. Mar 6, 2011
    This game was a game changer, and one of the best FPSs in history, the tight gameplay, with graphics and sound which were phenomenal at the time, with a griping story set in a fascinating Sci-Fi world, and gameplay that never got repetitive, and some fantastic split screen multiplayer, set this game apart from every other, the only thing keeping this from a perfect 10 is the fact that it'sThis game was a game changer, and one of the best FPSs in history, the tight gameplay, with graphics and sound which were phenomenal at the time, with a griping story set in a fascinating Sci-Fi world, and gameplay that never got repetitive, and some fantastic split screen multiplayer, set this game apart from every other, the only thing keeping this from a perfect 10 is the fact that it's not as impressive today do to the new FPSs out there, that aside this still a game I HIGHLY recommend, a must buy. Expand
  92. Jul 27, 2017
    Classic! Very good history, graphics and gameplay!
    I can't understando how metacritic accepts reviews givin 0 and 1 to this game. It's a shame. Poneys detected
  93. Mar 29, 2011
    halo totally changed the way i played videogames, it was so great that me and my friends were hooked for years, and still decide to play it in split screen once in a while just to remember how it was like... of course halo 2, 3 and reach managed to keep up the legacy, but the first game was so mind blowing i can't help but considering it a turning point in hardcore gaming
  94. May 15, 2011
    Why did Bungie make Halo for the Xbox? Why was this game designed like it was. Because it is one of the best games out there today! After a decade I still can not get enough of this game. The story is amazing, and the graphics, even today I still believe they are incredibly impressive. When you are playing campaign and a song with electric guitars in it starts. You know you are playing aWhy did Bungie make Halo for the Xbox? Why was this game designed like it was. Because it is one of the best games out there today! After a decade I still can not get enough of this game. The story is amazing, and the graphics, even today I still believe they are incredibly impressive. When you are playing campaign and a song with electric guitars in it starts. You know you are playing a deep, immersive game. This series will continue to break new grounds as being one the most innovative, fun, and just plain awsome series today. Expand
  95. Jul 18, 2011
    I'm to say one thing about this game. This game was the first game I"ve ever played and because of that game I started to be interested in video games. Because of its originality,AI,story and graphics this game was number 1 in my top 10 video game list for many years until November the 15 which its place will take the anniversary edition of the game. I recommend this game to any gamer whoI'm to say one thing about this game. This game was the first game I"ve ever played and because of that game I started to be interested in video games. Because of its originality,AI,story and graphics this game was number 1 in my top 10 video game list for many years until November the 15 which its place will take the anniversary edition of the game. I recommend this game to any gamer who respects himself and he is not a playstation fanboy who even if he likes the game he will say that its bad because it is not released to his "beloved" console.As I said before I'm definitely buying the anniversary edition. Expand
  96. Oct 3, 2011
    Story: 8 Characters: 8 Graphics: 8 Setting: 8 Multiplayer: 10 Soundtrack: 10 Audio: 8 Gameplay: 10 Re-Playability Value: 8 Fun Factor: 9 Score: 8.7/10 = A
  97. Dec 9, 2011
    Halo is an amazing game that is a legend. Everything about the game is near perfect. The graphics for the time are great, the sounds are solid and playabiltity is just great too. The story of Halo is just amazing and very interesting, Halo has one of the most interesting campaigns of any FPS to date that I greatly enjoyed. The game is really amazing. The only flaws I see are that sometimesHalo is an amazing game that is a legend. Everything about the game is near perfect. The graphics for the time are great, the sounds are solid and playabiltity is just great too. The story of Halo is just amazing and very interesting, Halo has one of the most interesting campaigns of any FPS to date that I greatly enjoyed. The game is really amazing. The only flaws I see are that sometimes the objectives are not clear and this can be downright frustrating at times, the melee is very ineffective too so this was irksome but these are minor complaints. Overall, Halo is a great game that is addictive and fun to play that you will remember as a classic. Breakdown for "Halo: Combat Evolved": Presentation: 9.5, Graphics: 8.5, Sound: 9.5, Playability: 9.7, Lasting Appeal: 9.7, Verdict: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  98. Nov 8, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant in every sense of the word. This game is not only the best Halo ever made, it's easily the best shooter ever made in general (Right up there besides Half Life 2).
  99. Nov 8, 2011
    this game is pretty much the reason to own an Xbox multiplayer is fun but you cant play online but its still good when you've got some mates round the campaign is amazing it can also be played with 2 people which will give you some memories i just remember tipping the warthog over about 16 times and my mate saying how good he was at driving and that he should drive this is the perfect mixthis game is pretty much the reason to own an Xbox multiplayer is fun but you cant play online but its still good when you've got some mates round the campaign is amazing it can also be played with 2 people which will give you some memories i just remember tipping the warthog over about 16 times and my mate saying how good he was at driving and that he should drive this is the perfect mix of vehicle combat and on foot combat you can buy it on Xbox 360s games on demand feature accessible through Xbox live Expand
  100. Oct 31, 2014
    A classic and such a great game after all these years. Combat is just so fun and the AI is still better than most modern shooter, there are a lot of different enemies as well. Multiplayer is glorious.

#1 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2001

1. Xbox Nation Magazine
    Halo is quite simply the closest thing we have ever experienced to a living, breathing alternate universe. [Jan 2002, p.72]
  2. GMR Magazine
    The definitive reason to own an Xbox. [Feb 2003, p.95]
    When you finally set down the controller the first time, and eventually hunger or exhaustion do force all of us to take a break, Halo has pulled you completely into its world and started one of the best sci-fi gaming adventures of all time.