6.5

1. CrazyIvan
    Oct 1, 2003
    EA's nhl just keeps getting worse... It fells like the players are skating in the air... The graphics looks like on N64 (Yes it's true) and the controlls are so sloppy... was looking forward to this release but now i'll never look at EA's Nhl again... ESPN Hockey does so much better in EVERY aspect of the game.
  2. TuomasK.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Very poor. I don't even know why EA has pushed this game in the market, so unfinished. DON'T BUY THIS!!! Waste of time and money. Get ENH (Espn Nhl Hockey)
  3. BryanP.
    Sep 19, 2003
    you guys need to get a life
  4. BradleyC.
    Sep 22, 2003
    I bought this game... and is was TOO fast even if the speed was 0, so annoying.
  5. BillD.
    Sep 28, 2003
    I agree this game is bad.The control is awlful.The graphics are 5 yrs old.And I can't beleive that EA is still handy us this crap.Year after year I've been a tried and true EA gamer, and have given them the benefit of the doubt ,but give us break EA ! The fans are disappointed! This game sucks!
  6. KyleM.
    Feb 10, 2004
    The greatest f...ing hockey game of all time. Can't get any better than dynesty mode. Best game ever.
  7. CodyH.
    Mar 16, 2004
    -Sh.t passing -Stupid AI ( spinning tops? ) -Horrible online play -Rigged like crazy (no matter how "good" you are) -Half assed control of players Plus, its the only game that has ever consistently made me want to throw my controller through the screen during every game. If you know even the slightest bit about hockey, you'll hate this game. Garbage.
  8. MikeQ.
    May 1, 2004
    The controls take some getting used to, but once you master checking and deking with the right thumbstick, you'll never again be able to play any other hockey game.
  9. SpinelesenhaeurMax
    Nov 6, 2003
    Bad control....hard to play...it should have arcade mode....i prefer nhl 2k3.
  10. BigHoser
    Sep 17, 2003
    is this game even out yet?????? how can you rate it? i'm confused, BUT I KNOW IT'S GONNA KICK ASS!
  11. ShelbyC.
    Sep 17, 2003
    Tuomas must work for ESPN NHL Hockey. I am sure he hasn't even seen EA's game. This game rocks.
  12. JarridR.
    Sep 19, 2003
    The Dynasty Mode kicks butt, The on ice sounds kill ESPN, the comentary sounds better then ESPN. The custom team creation into the NHL and Dynaty is awesome. The game is just more fun...and that's the whole point to a game, right?
  13. Joe
    Sep 22, 2003
    Managed to try a copy and again, it's fun. But I prefer the realism and nuances of the ESPN games. I've played NHL for years and every year, it's one-timers, moving the goalie across the goal, goalies gloving everything and cartoonish checks. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of fun. But I get more out of ESPN. I have to worry about positioning and neutral zone Managed to try a copy and again, it's fun. But I prefer the realism and nuances of the ESPN games. I've played NHL for years and every year, it's one-timers, moving the goalie across the goal, goalies gloving everything and cartoonish checks. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of fun. But I get more out of ESPN. I have to worry about positioning and neutral zone play as opposed to going out and trying to take someone's head off. And the checking is more responsive on ESPN. I don't know, there's more depth and challenge on ESPN's game, and more to enjoy as time goes on. ESPN though is not perfect. It's unnaturally hard at times and the goalies won't push the puck up ice. Expand
  14. EdJ.
    Sep 22, 2003
    This game is very very very good and things.
  15. RavenX301
    Sep 22, 2003
    I totally agree with Tuomas on this one, that, this game sucks. That's it, it just plain sucks. EA has'nt made a decent hockey game sense N64's NHl 1998. And now they just seem to be sticking with the same old graphics that has been seen sense the 1998 N64 title. A waste of money and time to play this one. Do your self a favour and maybe look around for other title's I totally agree with Tuomas on this one, that, this game sucks. That's it, it just plain sucks. EA has'nt made a decent hockey game sense N64's NHl 1998. And now they just seem to be sticking with the same old graphics that has been seen sense the 1998 N64 title. A waste of money and time to play this one. Do your self a favour and maybe look around for other title's or wait for the Micorosoft one to come out, Cause this title blow's. Now, I am not going to lie, I really wanted last year's title of this game for Xbox, but once I got it, it was Sooooo boring and just plain OLD. of course I may have never thought that if i did'nt have HITZ 2002-2003, But I tell ya, I never want to see this junk again, because if a Midway Un-simulation hockey game can beat some thing that is supposed to be what is carrying hockey in the game world, Then I am very disappoint, I pray that EA well pack it up and let ESPN deal with the simulation of hockey. Expand
  16. RichardM.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Really disappointed with this year's offering. X Box version just plain sucks Players are missing....rosters arer not updateable online. You are forced into using certain button configurations..even when you customize the control options!! Overall Gameplay Sucks who cares if it has a wicked dynasty mode if the gameplay is no good...not buying this title after my rental goes back..I Really disappointed with this year's offering. X Box version just plain sucks Players are missing....rosters arer not updateable online. You are forced into using certain button configurations..even when you customize the control options!! Overall Gameplay Sucks who cares if it has a wicked dynasty mode if the gameplay is no good...not buying this title after my rental goes back..I think I'll hang on to ESPN this year and hope that EA get's their heads' out of their own asses by next season. I have owned every single EA hockey title since Sega Master System. this wil be the 1st one I'm not buying. WHAT HAPPENED EA????? Collapse
  17. Uter
    Sep 28, 2003
    Both NHL Hitz and ESPN are better games. Although NHLs not horrible, it's the worst choice you could make when picking up a hockey title this year.
  18. Wingsfan
    Jul 14, 2004
    I think this is EA's best game yet, Realistic Skating, new Dynasty mode, and improved graphics, however it has its bad things, such as signing free agents easily by just making offers, takes the other teams out of the competition, thus I give it an 810.
  19. AlecM.
    Nov 21, 2003
    This game kicks ass. It has so many different modes of play to enjoy. And on top you getto build on your EA sports bio.
  20. Sam
    Dec 23, 2003
    I haven't been impressed with EA's Hockey titles since atleast '98 or '99. If you want a GREAT game grab ESPN 2K4, it is the ultimate Hockey game for XBOX!
  21. MarioG.
    Sep 14, 2003
    The best hockey game in the world.
  22. V.V.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Kewl.
  23. GorgeB.
    Sep 17, 2003
    This game is superb. Truly crushes the competition in gameplay, presentation, and depth. This is the true hockey experience, don't be fooled. BUY THIS GAME!
  24. BillL.
    Sep 17, 2003
    Anyone that says this game sucks does not know hockey, this is the real deal! its amazing! vast improvments on the previous years game... blows ESPN Hockey away in so many areas.
  25. ChaninderB.
    Sep 26, 2003
    It's amazing...
  26. Jul 30, 2014
    The most fun arcade hockey game ever created. Ahead of its time in terms of commentary and features in dynasty mode. Controlling the ticket prices, salary caps, staff and contracts was present in this game and led the way with the improvements for future games. The soundtrack was also killer and the game was presented in a way that was easy on the eye. Of course the game has not agedThe most fun arcade hockey game ever created. Ahead of its time in terms of commentary and features in dynasty mode. Controlling the ticket prices, salary caps, staff and contracts was present in this game and led the way with the improvements for future games. The soundtrack was also killer and the game was presented in a way that was easy on the eye. Of course the game has not aged particularly well, but this game is still fun to go back to and take on a friend. Expand

1. Pound for pound, it's gritty play - and experience points - propel NHL 2004 to a hard-fought win [over "ESPN NHL Hockey"]. [Oct/Nov 2003, p.97]
  2. Given how far this franchise has come, however, I've no doubt that the team behind NHL will keep this series out in front of the curve from now on. [Oct 2003, p.138]
  3. Everything that has been revamped makes me look forward to next year's version and see if they can bring it all together.