Spider-Man 2 Xbox

8.3

1. Kev
    Aug 22, 2004
    Great websling system, but poor game overall.
  2. NemacH.
    Jul 1, 2004
    Gaming Age is about the most non-credible 'reviewer' out there. With its repetitive sidequests, sub-par NPC (as well as main character) voices, hit-and-miss boss battles, short story length and ho-hum Spidey fight-skills, where the upgrades come in handy more for variety than necessity, Gaming Age gives this one a 91 and gives Ninja Gaiden a 47? Stupid. And an indoor Spider-Man Gaming Age is about the most non-credible 'reviewer' out there. With its repetitive sidequests, sub-par NPC (as well as main character) voices, hit-and-miss boss battles, short story length and ho-hum Spidey fight-skills, where the upgrades come in handy more for variety than necessity, Gaming Age gives this one a 91 and gives Ninja Gaiden a 47? Stupid. And an indoor Spider-Man 2 still has camera issues!!! Expand
  3. MetalicCornFlakes
    Jul 9, 2004
    This was a pretty good game.
  4. DunitFunit
    Jul 3, 2004
    Wat a great game (sarcastically).
  5. mhzmaster
    Jul 1, 2004
    Gr8 combat a little repetitve, but really fun.
  6. GunitBunit
    Jul 1, 2004
    Wow what can i say about this game other than exploring the whole city of manhattan is like a jungle and is far superior than gta and should be bought.
  7. B.Rhoades
    Jul 1, 2004
    Loved it without reservation.
  8. DonalN.
    Jul 1, 2004
    So I have been playing Spiderman for a couple of days now and I must say it is a really great game. The normal swinging, though frustrating at first becomes great fun when you get used to it, especially after a few upgrades. The main missions are challenging but don't get so difficult that you wont complete them on the second or third attempt which keeps the game moving along nicely, So I have been playing Spiderman for a couple of days now and I must say it is a really great game. The normal swinging, though frustrating at first becomes great fun when you get used to it, especially after a few upgrades. The main missions are challenging but don't get so difficult that you wont complete them on the second or third attempt which keeps the game moving along nicely, there is nothing worse than getting stuck on a single section of a game for long periods of time (Ninja Gaiden). The sub missions in the game don't work out so well, like "True Crime: Streets of LA" they become repetitive after a little while and the voice acting is dodgy at best but I think it is in the environment that this game truly excels and then falls short. The city is BIG! Bigger than any that came before it, perhaps with the exception of "True Crime" but that was more suburban sprawl than metropolis like Manhattan. There is a lot to see and do with plenty of secrets to find and races to test the reflexes. About 150 skyscrapers have 'somewhat' been accurately reproduced and it is a great place to spin around in. However a couple of things become plainly obvious from playing in this digital New York, many if not all of the games designers do not know or have never been to this city. The New York in Spiderman 2 is stagnant and unexciting, each neighborhood looks exactly the same and from street level it could be any city in the world. Sure it has the Empire State Building and the Chrysler building and the general layout of the city appears correct but there are so many incredible omissions that it seems obvious that the environment was designed from a couple of skyline photo's and a city map. Some of the notable New York landmarks that are missing include: All of the Trump Buildings, the mansions on the upper East, the brownstones on the upper West, Union Square, Chelsea Piers, South Street Seaport, Herald Square, The Time Warner Center, The Plaza Hotel, The Citigroup Center, 60 Wall Street, Met Life Tower, Solow Building, The Waldorf Astoria, New York Life Building, The Ansonia, The FDR, The Brooklyn Bridge, The Manhattan Bridge, Staten Island Ferry Terminal, Washington Square Park, All Recognizable Avenues from Park to Columbus, Macy's and central park zoo to name just a few. For those of you who think this is an accurate representation of New York, really it isn't much of the city looks nothing like this. In fact the fictional city in "Mafia" feels more like New York that the one here. In many ways I can see where the designers had to compromise, vast stretches of the city are relatively low-rise and in places like the East Village and Chelsea it is hard to find buildings over six stories. Spidey would have had some serious difficulty swinging from downtown to uptown without scraping his knees of the asphalt. Manhattan itself would have been far to large to fully scale even at the great speeds Spidey racks up swinging from building to building it would still probably take a good 20 minutes to get from Battery Park to Harlem. I do think the city seems very barren without the different neighborhoods having their defining characteristics. I would have been nice to see cafe's and outdoor restaurants in the Village, tourists and trinket shops in Midtown, warehouses converted to bar and clubs in Chelsea, the magical landscaping of Central Park and the suits and stockbrokers of downtown. Every part of New York has a different look and feel that is noticeably absent in this game. Still it is a very worthy attempt and a playable addictive game to boot. Roll on Spiderman 3. Expand
  9. Daz
    Jul 4, 2004
    Recommended. This is a breath of fresh air to my gaming world. The way you swing through New Yorks is excellent, the way you can doi side missions (like GTA) is also very good, and the story is interesing so far (i've played for about 3 hours so far). As i said at the beginning - recommended.
  10. RobK.
    Jul 5, 2004
    Just a great game!!!
  11. Spiderguydafan
    Jul 7, 2004
    Yes this game rocks, but its like 10 times harder than the hardest level on SM 1. the new tricks (webbing four people at once, etc.) really help. freestyle rocks.
  12. JayG.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Feels like Treyarch spent ages crafting incredible play mechanics in an amazingly detailed and fun city scattered with interesting secrets and truly impressive challenges, and then realized that they had three hours to create the story missions and events of the game before their deadline. Alot of fluff and laziness in that area, but honestly, buy it none-the-less.
  13. JMAN51
    Jul 8, 2004
    Your rushed through the game really fast, too fast in my opinion. Could use more random street crimes and other little tweaks that would have gotten a 9 from me.
  14. JeffA.
    Aug 30, 2004
    Boring game. The graphics look better in the first Spiderman game. Side missions are boring and repetative. In one side mission you have to save a little girls balloon and this side mission repeats! Wow is that exciting! This game is a rental at best.
  15. J.Hill
    Sep 1, 2004
    When you put this up against other comic-based games, there isn't a score high enough for it. They have hit such a clear home run with capturing the feel of being Spidey that we are still waiting to see where that ball will land. Now, that is not at all to say this is a perfect game. There are more than a few glitches and bugs, but only one has interferred with my game play (a cut When you put this up against other comic-based games, there isn't a score high enough for it. They have hit such a clear home run with capturing the feel of being Spidey that we are still waiting to see where that ball will land. Now, that is not at all to say this is a perfect game. There are more than a few glitches and bugs, but only one has interferred with my game play (a cut scene did not play so I had NO idea what I was supposed to be doing, had to reload to get my bearings). The graphics are also pretty rough at times, particularly character models look several years old. But, the gameplay is so great that it MORE than makes up for any short comings. I will agree with others that the canned missions are pretty repetative. But, the "random" crimes are just SO cool. I wish the entire game had been based around them. It is SOOO immersive to be doing something like looking for a secret token or something and to hear "HELP! Someone help!!!" and to immediately stop everything and dive off the side of the building to go help the citizen. Again, I don't think they could have done a better job at capturing the feel of being Spiderman. For those complaining about the balloons, first it is not obligatory and second, I would suggest reading a bit. You know *reading*?? That is Spiderman to a T. Anyway, if you are looking for the next best game, this is not it. However, if you are looking for a solid action/adventure in a great environment, this is a great title. And, if you are even a passing Spiderman fan, you HAVE to play this. You will not get closer to feeling like...wait...did I hear someone yell "Help!"...gotta go... Expand
  16. Hollysue
    Jul 20, 2005
    This game rocks.
  17. FatW.
    Jun 17, 2004
    Ya!!!!!
  18. JohnD.
    Jun 22, 2004
    Sweet game!!! The graphics rock, and I love that you can go into a bigger area.
  19. SPIDERSENSE
    Jul 29, 2004
    All the stuff you wanna know from a guy who played this game 12 hours straight. no food, no bathroom, no air. just spiderman 2 and xbox. hmmm. well o.k....i am not gonna brag and brag about it like all the magazine sites do. i am gona give it to you straight and clean. this is addictive and fun. when you first start off, there is a slight learning curve on web slinging and it is quite funAll the stuff you wanna know from a guy who played this game 12 hours straight. no food, no bathroom, no air. just spiderman 2 and xbox. hmmm. well o.k....i am not gonna brag and brag about it like all the magazine sites do. i am gona give it to you straight and clean. this is addictive and fun. when you first start off, there is a slight learning curve on web slinging and it is quite fun to experiment. you get better and get new moves in a store, which makes you a "better" spiderman, so it is rewarding and entertaining to be a "better spiderman" the free-roaming, GTA style is where the bread and butter is. i even feel upset when i have to enter a boss battle or some pre-destined mission because it is simply more fun to be a free spiderman. but what you do as a free-spiderman might get boring after a while. i wasnt bored through 12 hours straight so thats something!...but i feel like eventually it will run its course. graphics are good, not great. i turned the music off completely because its garbage. the sound effects arent so bad. hearing the wind rush through your ears is cool when you swing from high altitudes. there are tons of cheesy emelents to this game, like idiotic boss fights and black-cat nonsense (super heroine/thief/love interest). mysterio sucks ass, well...most of the main missions are terrible. but the little helpy helper missions and pizza delivery and exploration and taking photos are fun and cool. this game is not a pefect 10, but the free-roaming stuff is legendary and most fun i had playing a game in a long time. a serious buy, not a rental...even though there are some cheesy things in this game up the wazoo...it somehow survives as one of xbox's very very best. nice swingings. Expand
  20. D.
    Jul 29, 2004
    This game was pretty kool but it could use a few inprovements.
  21. JayB.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Wow its Spidey Crimes Streets of Manhatten how #$%ing lame. Oh yeah no guns its for kids. plz gets a 5 for being a spidey game.
  22. CalvinD.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Two words: the swinging! It's all about the swinging. Took a while to get used to (but was fun to experiment) but after a while I felt like I was in the movie. It was so much fun swinging around that I kept on doing it after I finished the main storyline, just for the thrill. I could do it for hours. Oh, and the fighting's cool too: combining your spidey reflexes (aka bullet Two words: the swinging! It's all about the swinging. Took a while to get used to (but was fun to experiment) but after a while I felt like I was in the movie. It was so much fun swinging around that I kept on doing it after I finished the main storyline, just for the thrill. I could do it for hours. Oh, and the fighting's cool too: combining your spidey reflexes (aka bullet time), your webs and aerial attacks rocks. The game has flaws, but it's so cool the flaws can be overlooked. Expand
    Jul 12, 2004
    Web-slinging and acrobatic moves are just about as cool as it gets, but the fighting engine is a little weak and it can get incredably hard at times. At least rent it to try web-slinging around ny (with no load times yay!) and if you're a spidey fan, buy it.
  24. KevinF.
    Jul 13, 2004
    Would be better if the missions were more variegated and you still had the ability to throw tires and barrels a la Spidey 1.
  25. Sep 11, 2014
    Spider-Man 2 is a classic that will be remembered as one of the best games on the XBOX, and with good reason. The open world is beautiful, and swinging around in New York cannot (and has not) even come CLOSE to being replicated. The story isn't a movie tie-in, and is all the better for it. The boss fights are great, and there are different random crimes as well. However, while the combatSpider-Man 2 is a classic that will be remembered as one of the best games on the XBOX, and with good reason. The open world is beautiful, and swinging around in New York cannot (and has not) even come CLOSE to being replicated. The story isn't a movie tie-in, and is all the better for it. The boss fights are great, and there are different random crimes as well. However, while the combat is good, the game is SO BORING after it's completed, as the crimes are repetitive and lazy. But don't let that put you off. Play the game in small sessions; then you realise how great the game is. Expand

1. What I think is the most significant about the game is that it takes the movie's story, but it doesn't deviate from the gameplay that makes Spider-Man so fun. And this time it's very open ended.
  2. What Spiderman 2 boils down to is a lot of "Hell yeah!" excellence with just a little "Aw, damnit" thrown in for good measure. It's still an excellent game, and it's a superb example of how a movie license should be treated, but in the end, it probably won't crack any top 5 lists.
    Between the massive boss encounters and hours of swinging around Manhattan, you're in for at least a week of play.