True Crime: Streets of LA Xbox

7.8

1. JamesH.
    Dec 30, 2003
    The one thing that really amazed me about this game was the scale to which the developers mapped Los Angeles. The playing area encompasses 240 square miles and this must have entailed an immense amount of effort and time to achieve. Its a shame then that this environment is left largely unused and there is no motivation to expore it (no hidden packages like Vice City). The parts of the The one thing that really amazed me about this game was the scale to which the developers mapped Los Angeles. The playing area encompasses 240 square miles and this must have entailed an immense amount of effort and time to achieve. Its a shame then that this environment is left largely unused and there is no motivation to expore it (no hidden packages like Vice City). The parts of the game that take place in this enourmous environment are largely limited to intervention in street crimes and car chases. The latter of which is pretty good fun for the first dozen or so times (shooting out the perps gas tank in slo-mo to make the car flip over is pretty cool) but eventually becomes a little dull. The rest of the game takes the form of mini missions which involve either sneaking around a building to reach an objective or shooting lots of bad guys using Max Payne style bullet time dives. This too is pretty good fun but after a while this too becomes a little tedious. There are also several fight sequences where your character is called upon to fight a boss (or series of bosses). These fights can be tricky and luckily these missions can usually be skipped in order to progress the game. All these game elements can be improved by a kind of RPG style 'levelling up system' and some of these upgrades are helpful for getting you through some of the tougher parts of the game. Ultimately this game dissapoints on two levels. Firstly that whilst all the game types are enjoyable enough (for a little while anyway) there is no real overall feeling of coherence between them, nor is the enourmous game world truly used as at least half the plot takes part in confined locations. Secondly and perhaps most importantly the game is too short. It took me about 8-10 hours to complete it and there really is no motivation to continue playing once done.... Expand
  2. ArmandilloD.
    Sep 7, 2005
    This game is just BORING... the city is very boring... missions are boring etc... Wannebe gta, but fails badly ALMOST everything sucks in this game.
  3. Adam
    Mar 16, 2004
    Firstly I finished this game in 3 nights, and 1 night was spent trying to get my status from bad cop back to good cop, it was just crap they spouted about having an option of being either of these as you cannot complete the game fully without being good. The game crashed relentlessly, my hand brake would lock on occasionally. There are very few different crimes to assist in which gets Firstly I finished this game in 3 nights, and 1 night was spent trying to get my status from bad cop back to good cop, it was just crap they spouted about having an option of being either of these as you cannot complete the game fully without being good. The game crashed relentlessly, my hand brake would lock on occasionally. There are very few different crimes to assist in which gets very tedious. Coupled with a bizarre nonsensical storyline and no repeat gameplay, this was and remains my biggest disappointment in an Xbox title and I've owned a few stinkers. The game was far too easy, I finished the last portion of the game without stopping or saving. LA is mundane to drive around in, most of the map is pointless some of my time was spent repeatedly failing at getting across town in time for a needless mission. Do the right thing, avoid it, or trade yours in after a week like I did. Collapse
  4. K.F.
    Apr 22, 2004
    Very poor.

#23 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2003

1. But undeniably, Luxoflux have delivered BIG on their biggest undertaking to date, and have thus elevated True Crime: Streets of LA to sequel-worthy status.
  2. Edge Magazine
    As a place, Los Angeles simply isn't as much fun as Liberty or Vice. Too much of this silicon LA exists simply because the designers wanted to show that it could be done rather than because it serves any gameplay purpose. [Christmas 2003, p.107]
  3. The hand-to-hand combat is, despite a handful of unlockable combos, pure button-mashing chaos. There's a clever fight in which you shove your opponent into a fiery stove, but that's the only strategic scrap.