4.6

1. Mar 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really love this era and expected this to be a kind of realistic look at the era however it seems they've got a lot of their history wrong. I wasn't invested in any of the characters and to be honest I didn't really care if they got to be together or not. The scene where the mother dies to save Evolet was stupid and cheesy and ruined the film. The only good thing about it was the CG was pretty damn good. Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2014
    Galloping mammoths and saddles with stirrups....Need I say more? Oh, locks and keys, pulleys, steel implements....the list goes on...

At least the CGI sabretooth tiger remained in character, knew its motivation and growled with great emotion. The humans...not so much.
  3. May 1, 2014
    This film is ****ing **** What the **** is this clown of a filmmaker still doing making movies? I am speaking of course of the abomination that is Roland Emmerich.
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    A stupid movie. Most of Roland Emmerich's movie are ridiculous, but this one is far worse. It's ridiculous, dull and dumb. This film has no character development whatsoever and you honestly just don't care whether they die or live.
  5. Feb 14, 2014
    this film is not as bad as everyone is saying, not by far one of the best but it is worth at least one watch.
    the plot is not very good but when you get to the action bits they do a good job, give this film a chance
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    It has cool action set pieces and good visual effects, but the film itself lacks a good story and good acting. Overall, the film lacks and it mostly relies on visuals, which is sad...
  7. Dec 10, 2012
    I liked the tittle, the posters and the general idea of the movie but it seems that the pieces just don't fit, very disappointed with the final result but it was fun to watch.
  8. Nov 8, 2012
    10,000 B.C. is certainly Emmerich's best work and showcases some very good visual effects, especially the creation of a most daunting sabertooth tiger.
  9. Apr 5, 2012
    Horrible. It was clear that the cinematography was completely ripping of Lord of the Rings. This is such a shameful atrocious piece of trash. Who enjoys watching these type of mindless movies?
  10. Apr 4, 2012
    10,000 B.C is a grotesque and dreadful movie. This should be listed as a comedy, I laughed more at the movie's stupidity than being impressed at the action. This movie was a total waste of time and should not be seen by a human eye.
  11. Dec 16, 2011
    I actually enjoyed this film, despite being terribly historically inaccurate. Great time waster, topped with great effects and decent acting. Worth watching, in my mind anyways.
  12. Nov 26, 2011
    Its absolutely terrible. The acting ,or rather lack of it, is terrible. The action is stupid. The entire film is really just poor from start to finish and an absolute waste of time.
  13. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: So bad, it makes Ice Age look completely factual.

Roland Emmerich takes a break from apocalyptic disaster films (well, for one film; we see the release of 2012 a year after this) to direct a ho-hum disaster of an Ice Age-set film.

Thereâ
  14. Jan 15, 2011
    The first time I rented this movie I thought it would be really bad since its a Emmerich film and I thought Independence Day was an average movie,and he usually tells the same story in all his other movies. So I thought he was gonna use the same concept plot but in prehistoric version. So I rented the video with low expectation . However when I saw the film I thought it was pretty good,The first time I rented this movie I thought it would be really bad since its a Emmerich film and I thought Independence Day was an average movie,and he usually tells the same story in all his other movies. So I thought he was gonna use the same concept plot but in prehistoric version. So I rented the video with low expectation . However when I saw the film I thought it was pretty good, this movie is an amazing popcorn film its not as bland as Emmerich other films its one of his unique popcorn film. I dont really get why there have been so many reviews saying that this film is bad just because it is an inaccurate film with not much character development. Who cares if it's accurate or inaccurate One Million B.C. wasn't accurate and a majority of people liked it. The story is decent and truthfully there is no character development ,but there so many beautiful images and great action scenes that it doesn't really matter. I cant say much on the acting part because its hard to act if the dialogue makes you sound like Yoda most of the time. Other than that this movie is pretty good I recommend it. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2010
    Painfully disconnected film where you just can't get into relating to the characters or even look at it from any semblance of historical perspective. The sad thing is that it has so much potential as it has a neat premise. That's about as far as the good about this movie goes! This movies should have been lost somewhere in time!
  16. Nov 24, 2010
    I liked it. The action was immense and it had a likeable theme to it. The plot was not the most complex and it wasn't very original in terms of scope. However the acting was great and i like the characters. he ending ruined it, however
  17. Sep 11, 2010
    The best thing about this film was the special effects and cinema photography. Everything else was utterly terrible. I was very disappointed by this film as I expected it to tell an exciting story of adventure and explore the prehistoric period of time in history. However the film was very long, dull and it made me fall asleep for 10,000 years BC. I strongly advise you not to spend anyThe best thing about this film was the special effects and cinema photography. Everything else was utterly terrible. I was very disappointed by this film as I expected it to tell an exciting story of adventure and explore the prehistoric period of time in history. However the film was very long, dull and it made me fall asleep for 10,000 years BC. I strongly advise you not to spend any money in purchasing this film as it will not only be a waste of your money but it will also be a waste of your time. I really wanted to give this a good review but I have to be truthful and honest to everyone else.
    Bring back Raquel Welch!
  18. Aug 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If, in your movies, you look for an engaging plot, keen dialogue and intriguing characters then save yourself 109 never-to-be-returned minutes by avoiding this ponderous tat.
    Nutshell (spoilers): Dreadlock sporting, tribal hunter goes on quest to emancipate his beau, who has been kidnapped by arab/egyptian/aztec(?!) slave-trader types. Releases hotty from captors only for her to be recaptured within minutes (doh!). Gives further pursuit to baddies' homeland, on the way befriending a sabre tooth tiger and uniting disparate tribes under his **** banner. Final showdown sees him leading a mammoth/slave charge against some arab priests who enjoy a bit of human sacrifice, but getting his woman killed in the process (double doh!). Never mind though... she's not really dead (she was pretending or something). If you must see this movie, my recommendation is to watch it in fast forward: you'll miss out on the laughable, wooden, self-important dialogue, but miss little else and gain some of your life back into the bargain.
  19. SJT
    Apr 12, 2009
    Usually I don't review movies, but just games. However, I lately bought this movie because some friends and my father hyped me, but it was totally not worth the money, at all. I can put it in two ways, first of all I can explain how it has so many things that they definitely didn't have that time, secondly I can express how common the overall story is. The first one is simple, Usually I don't review movies, but just games. However, I lately bought this movie because some friends and my father hyped me, but it was totally not worth the money, at all. I can put it in two ways, first of all I can explain how it has so many things that they definitely didn't have that time, secondly I can express how common the overall story is. The first one is simple, piramids, clear speech through tribes, boats, metal cages, pieces of cloth like that.. headband (this is different from the animal skin also seen in the movie). Sure, it can actually be that they tried to go from a point of view where there was a civilisation before, yet the fact is that it's very unlikely, if that were the case they should've went even further back into time, if you get my point. Even if you look past that, the story of a man falling in love with a lady and wanting her back, name me a damn movie where that isn't actually a sub-plot?! Seriously, movies these days aren't often trying to stand out anymore, but just trying to tell a story like we have seen so many times before in a different setting, in this case one that mixes up time periods. I am not hating, I simply didn't enjoy it and also expected quite something more serious about that time period. It didn't deliver this expectation to me at all, so I am going to have to consider this as an extremely bad movie and award a 0, which I seriously think it deserves. Expand
  20. Laurens
    Jan 21, 2009
    The movie had okay special effects, but forget about that. The movie itself is just so unbalanced, it really should have been a documentary on National Geographic. Plus, from another view point it's really about these two "villages" fighting, and of course, d'lay (the main charactor) really likes this girl (Camille Biel) who is called by the anicent mother [Spritual The movie had okay special effects, but forget about that. The movie itself is just so unbalanced, it really should have been a documentary on National Geographic. Plus, from another view point it's really about these two "villages" fighting, and of course, d'lay (the main charactor) really likes this girl (Camille Biel) who is called by the anicent mother [Spritual Leader/healer???) the blued eyed girl who will bring "hope". But, of course, the predictable 'knights' come and take away most of the tribe's people. [sorry,i forgot their name] so than 3 men, including D'ley must travel to find their people and bring them back... however most of the knight have either murdered most of them (at their tribe) or are now slaves. So the predictable thing happens, they are transfered to this Temple City (across a very deadly desert, oh my) and finally, god forbid, D'ley kills the emper, and gets the girl, but the anicent mother dies. Yeah, no matter how close i paid attention, the movie just is boring, despite the action. BORING. SNOOZzzzzzzz. Expand
  21. Hinueras
    Dec 31, 2008
    Potentially a good movie for the under 12's otherwise insulting. Big budget low intelligence.
  22. RichardL
    Nov 16, 2008
    As a world history teacher, I realize this film is bubble gum for your brain. But to the average sixth grader, whom I teach, it's probably a visual scavenger hunt: hunter-gatherers, domesticators and cultivators, mammoths, sabre-tooths, raw meat, pyramids, boats, nomads in animal skins, villagers in cloth... I mean, come on, a realistic story about 10,000 B.C. would be as bad as As a world history teacher, I realize this film is bubble gum for your brain. But to the average sixth grader, whom I teach, it's probably a visual scavenger hunt: hunter-gatherers, domesticators and cultivators, mammoths, sabre-tooths, raw meat, pyramids, boats, nomads in animal skins, villagers in cloth... I mean, come on, a realistic story about 10,000 B.C. would be as bad as mammoth's breath. Lighten up! Expand
  23. CharlotteP
    Sep 29, 2008
    Any one who has bad things to say about this movie has missed to point completly! stop reading into things so much. just enjoy a movie dont try to find its faults. the story line was insane, but it was a fun movie that didn't need a lot of thought! very enjoyable.
  24. SallyB.
    Sep 19, 2008
    Amazing video... Amazing acting... a real classic in the mind of a normal person!
  25. KatherineP.
    Aug 28, 2008
    This is the most amazing movie I've ever seen. The special effects were very realistic!!!
  26. ThomasP.
    Aug 16, 2008
    Just horrible. Acting was horrible, writing horrible, directing was horrible. A terrible movie all the way around.
  27. AdamA.
    Aug 14, 2008
    This movie has no substance or value to it, which is the perfect thing when you're looking for a movie with no substance or value on a Saturday night.
  28. Tenfyr
    Aug 1, 2008
    Easily the worst movie I've seen. I haven't got the time or the inclination to list what's wrong with it. Some good effects which saved it from getting a 0 from me. If you have a choice between watching this and cleaning behind the fridge, choose the latter, you'd have more fun.
  29. JackC.
    Jul 27, 2008
    The worst movie I have seen in a long, long time. To be honest, aside from some incredibly bad Grade B horror flicks or Sci-Fi channel movies, it's hard to think of a movie worse than this. It's awful. Character development is completely non-existent. Dialogue is trite and horrible. Immediately from the start, when the gravelly Omar Sharif narration starts and he starts rambling The worst movie I have seen in a long, long time. To be honest, aside from some incredibly bad Grade B horror flicks or Sci-Fi channel movies, it's hard to think of a movie worse than this. It's awful. Character development is completely non-existent. Dialogue is trite and horrible. Immediately from the start, when the gravelly Omar Sharif narration starts and he starts rambling some cliched monologue about "legends" and every historical epic cliche you can imagine, you know it's going to be bad. The movie never, ever engages. It's as if it's been in progress for a few hours already when it begins.The special effects are not necessarily bad, but they are completely uninteresting. Acting is wooden. It is a shame that there are screenwriters and potential directors who are starving because Hollywood won't take a chance on them, and yet crap like this gets put out. What a piece of garbage. If I sound angry, I am. I'm angry I wasted any amount of time on this film; films this bad should not be allowed. Stay far away. Expand
  30. StuartM
    Jul 27, 2008
    Where do I start, poor acting, CG, script...avoid.
  31. MattB
    Jul 25, 2008
    First off I read the reviews for the film and they weren't too good so I avoided the film basically. Then my dad bought it on DVD, watched it and I was proven wrong. It isn't quite a blockbuster but its not Plan 9 either. I found it a good, enjoyable piece of innocent fun.
  32. TylerS.
    Jul 23, 2008
    This movie had entertainment value and an actual story to it, i felt like they took me on a journey and made me apart of it, i would sugest a rent as you may only watch it once but it is one that you should watch!
  33. AnuoopD.
    Jul 17, 2008
    This is an Apocolypto rip off. Every scene was copied from Apocylpto in a bad way. Chezzy and extremely unbelievable. Every knew it was going to have some fake parts in it like humans speaking English and so on but to the extent it went I am shocked.
  34. MarkC.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Tedious movie that is drawn out. Plot is weak and with all of the CGI involved, you would think they could have made this film better.
  35. EverythingIAm
    Jul 14, 2008
    Crap. That's the only word you need if you are considering seeing this movie. Every aspect of the movie is crap. Easily the worst movie of the year so far. People say that its fun just to look at the special effects, yeah, I guess if you're stoned this movie is pretty cool, but if you want to see cool visuals just watch Planet Earth, at least that mini-series will help regrow Crap. That's the only word you need if you are considering seeing this movie. Every aspect of the movie is crap. Easily the worst movie of the year so far. People say that its fun just to look at the special effects, yeah, I guess if you're stoned this movie is pretty cool, but if you want to see cool visuals just watch Planet Earth, at least that mini-series will help regrow some of your braincells that were lost while watching this piece of crap. Expand
  36. DonL.
    Jul 13, 2008
    I couldn't finish this piece of crap. One of the worst things I've ever seen. Your average Saturday afternoon SciFi channel made for tv movie has more depth and intelligence. Two big thumbs down.
  37. WilliamF.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Simple. Boring. Formulaic. You've seen this movie a hundred times if you've seen it once. It is a blunder; a complete swing and miss on a great premise.
  38. ConnorH.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Some of the lines were kind of funny because of how scripted/stupid they were, but I don't think the writers get enough credit for the story. What nobody ever mentions is the aspect of Fate and Prophecy in this movie. Every tribe has a completely different prophecy that happens to come true through a sequence of events. Like, the constellation scars come from the slave-driver Some of the lines were kind of funny because of how scripted/stupid they were, but I don't think the writers get enough credit for the story. What nobody ever mentions is the aspect of Fate and Prophecy in this movie. Every tribe has a completely different prophecy that happens to come true through a sequence of events. Like, the constellation scars come from the slave-driver rapist's lashings after Evolet tries to leave a trail. D'Leh doesn't earn the spear the first time, so he doesn't become a real leader until TicTic gives it to him. D'Leh can't really talk to sabertooth Tigers, but he ends up fulfilling exactly what the desert people's cave drawings predicted. When I saw this movie in theaters I was kinda emotionally weird because High School was ending, so I really got into the love element (helps that Camilla Belle is a perfect human being =D). The scene where the army came over the bank of the Nile was really cool, and the kiss scene at the end was heartwarming. I don't know...a lot of people who are calling this movie shallow really weren't considering the storyline at all, so I just thought I'd point it out. Anybody who cites random historical errors will never like this movie, because those errors will be all they'll be able to think about. I came into the theater with no expectations at all and I thought it was a great movie. Plus, I have a crush on Camilla Belle now! Expand
  39. RichardW.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Loved the special effects, especially the mastadon type animals. Scenery was awesome. Didn't care if it was "historically accurate"...who cares? Just enjoy the ride.
  40. JohnH.
    Jul 4, 2008
    It's not academy award material, but not bad DVD popcorn fare.
  41. WilliamD.
    Jul 4, 2008
    To all the future renters of this movie take notice: This movie is not a historical fact-based movie. It has been stated many times, but it seems that alot of the people who have reviewed here hadn't heard it, this movie is in no way related to any factual events. The story is completly fictional, like it's suppose to be, and therefor is in no way related to history. Ok now on To all the future renters of this movie take notice: This movie is not a historical fact-based movie. It has been stated many times, but it seems that alot of the people who have reviewed here hadn't heard it, this movie is in no way related to any factual events. The story is completly fictional, like it's suppose to be, and therefor is in no way related to history. Ok now on to the review. The main plot is not bad but not good. It is a simple love boy-girl love story. What separates this movie from the others love story is the surrounding actions and happenings(can't find the right word). The visual effects are more then amazing. Personally I watched this movie solely for the visual effects and was happy. All the creatures and the environment are almost perfectly rendered and well integrated. To summarise it all, I give 10,000BC a score of 8 out of 10 and I recommend it to anyone who wants to be amazed visualy. PS. To all the reviewers who critic the historical accuracy of this movie : Where and when has it been declared that 10,000BC was a movie based on real life events? No where. Expand
  42. Marie
    Jun 30, 2008
    I just finished watching 10,000 BC and I fear that it's going to take me a week to regrow my brain. First of all, where the heck were they?? Why were they wearing sandals in freezing weather? Where did he get the rope to make a litter with which to carry his injured leader? I didn't know that people made woven cloth in 10,000 BC. Why did the wooden manacles jingle like they were I just finished watching 10,000 BC and I fear that it's going to take me a week to regrow my brain. First of all, where the heck were they?? Why were they wearing sandals in freezing weather? Where did he get the rope to make a litter with which to carry his injured leader? I didn't know that people made woven cloth in 10,000 BC. Why did the wooden manacles jingle like they were made of metal? And where did they get corn in Egypt?? I tried. I really tried to suspend my disbelief for this movie, but it was just too much. I'd rather watch Beastmaster a dozen times than to subject myself to another 100 minutes of this badly-done, retarded crap again. Expand
  43. RebeccaH.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Scenery's not bad. Good if you like plots involving trekking through the wilderness.
  44. BrandonT.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Bad. Some of the special effects were decent and I came away thinking about the plot somewhat but the movie was extremely poor.
  45. MarcusA.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Truly one of the worst movies I've ever witnessed. Please stop directing, please. Your movies aren't movies, they are special effects. Learn how to write dialoge because your budget will slowly start to decrease.
  46. Jake
    Jun 21, 2008
    Hey, I wasn't looking for the next academy contender. I wasn't looking for the next 2001. I wasn't looking for a life-changing movie. I was looking for a good way to spend 10 bucks and an afternoon. I expected fun action and efficient writing and acting. I got one. I got beyond horrendous. writing and acting. I could forgive those if there was more action and if those Hey, I wasn't looking for the next academy contender. I wasn't looking for the next 2001. I wasn't looking for a life-changing movie. I was looking for a good way to spend 10 bucks and an afternoon. I expected fun action and efficient writing and acting. I got one. I got beyond horrendous. writing and acting. I could forgive those if there was more action and if those weren't so awful. I mean, I love the 1998 Godzilla for the love of God. I also love Independence Day, The Patriot, and enjoy The Day After Tomorrow, all movies from the man behind 10,000 B.C. They didn't have great writing or acting, but they weren't so ridiculously terrible that it looks like they were practically made for mystery science theater 3000. so, next time one of you says 'OMG guys! It's not the next Oscar contender! It's an epic love story (and it's a terrible love story seems to have been written by an autistic 8 year old whose favorite movie is Apocalypto) with good action! Therefore, you must like it!' I though it had some of the most unintentionally hysterical dialouge (DO NOT EAT ME WHEN I LET YOU FREE), horrendous plot, and equally mind-numbing acting I've seen in years. But, hey, I guess I expected the next There Will Be Blood, or possibly the next Blade Runner. Give me a fucking break. Expand
  47. JayH.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Preposterous movie, the plot is so far fetched and ridiculous. Historical accuracy is a disaster. The special effects aren't bad and it is entertaining in a rather unhealthy way. Unintentionally funny at times.
  48. Luiz
    Jun 14, 2008
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen (probably the worst). Think Plan 9 is terrible? It´s a "godfather", a "Citizen Kane" near this. The plot has no sense at all, the action scenes are RIDICULOUS... well, i´ll not even lose m time writing these anymore, you got the picture.
  49. CliffB
    Jun 13, 2008
    Just flat out bad. This decade's attempt at a Beastmaster, only much less fun. It looked good in the trailer (and often the movie really does LOOK good), but the only way I could stay seated the whole time was by dissing it ala MST 3000. There was potential in the concept but oh the horror. If you are feeling very cynical, this is a must watch movie.
  50. JimmyW.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Pretty lame, That girl was hot though.
  51. JonH.
    Jun 4, 2008
    It is sooo boring and entertaining, I honestly couldn't finish this movie, it was very, very bad and anticlimactic.
  52. ChristopherH.
    May 28, 2008
    Should be watched next in 10,000 more years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worst film I've seen ever.
  53. David
    May 26, 2008
    The fact that we know that not all of this existed in 10,000BC just adds to the lameness.
  54. JakeH.
    May 24, 2008
    This movie was great! I found it had a good plot line and the storyboard was welly written and it actually looked like it was in 10,000 B.C and the foreign language and subtitles were really cool also but I don't why people gave it a bad score the movie was pretty good.
  55. AndrewB.
    May 22, 2008
    The sweeping vistas found within the movie are good-looking but that is the only quarter I will give this terrible movie. Why do the other reviewers state that the movie is better in all other aspects besides the historical inadequacies when there is little to defend? Every line spoken was predictable and the acting poorly executed. I felt nothing for the characters at any point and The sweeping vistas found within the movie are good-looking but that is the only quarter I will give this terrible movie. Why do the other reviewers state that the movie is better in all other aspects besides the historical inadequacies when there is little to defend? Every line spoken was predictable and the acting poorly executed. I felt nothing for the characters at any point and nearly hated the movie as I watched it. For the love of God stay away from this. The fact that garbage like this is selling well is a tragedy. Expand
  56. GregoryD.
    May 22, 2008
    They spent more on the advertisements than they did on the movie script.
  57. WiliamW.
    May 11, 2008
    They walk, in this order, from Mongolia, to India, to Africa. Furthermore, the effects are horrible. Case in point, sabertooth tiger.
  58. ScottW.
    May 9, 2008
    Absolutely horrible. There are so many aspects of the movie that the creators and editors obviously overlooked. The "languages" sounded like the actors were told to speak gibberish; the CGI looks horrendous; the acting is sickening. Almost definitely the worst movie I've ever seen. I will give it this: you CAN have fun if you make fun of everything. I still wouldn't recommend it.
  59. GrahamS.
    May 7, 2008
    I found this movie to start slow but soon got going, and had some great action scenes and spic vista's. Don't expect the movie to challenge you mentally, just sit back and enjoy the on rush of action scenes and epic vista's.
  60. TomW
    May 5, 2008
    Worst movie ever made. Period.
  61. ChrisZ
    May 4, 2008
    This is pure garbage and probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Every supposed "big" moment in the movie is just stupid and there is so little shown that you can't even get what's going on. When I went with my friends to see this, they said they liked it.. but couldn't even explain what happened. It just shows you so little about the plot (if there is one) that you This is pure garbage and probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Every supposed "big" moment in the movie is just stupid and there is so little shown that you can't even get what's going on. When I went with my friends to see this, they said they liked it.. but couldn't even explain what happened. It just shows you so little about the plot (if there is one) that you just get bored and ask yourself "Why the hell did I see this movie?". Expand
  62. PearsonM.
    Apr 24, 2008
    More like 10,000 B.S.
  63. GermanB.
    Apr 24, 2008
    I feel sorry for the people whom seem to doesn't enjoy this... although forgetting the historical inaccuracies, this is such a great fantasy/epic/love story that move the audience to an adventure, it capture my attention the entire movie... it's very entertaining and recommendable if you are not looking for an Academy contender.
  64. JenniferK.
    Apr 17, 2008
    I thought this film was a bit boring but it was filmed beautifully and represented human diversity well. My son really enjoyed it, but really thought that wooly mammoths help build the pyramids. I would have liked it a little more if the story wasn't so "out there".
  65. MiguelV
    Apr 11, 2008
    After realizing the film was not simply flawed by multiple (pre)historical incongruities but was a whole blunder itself, with mammoth hunting, incipient agriculture, horse-riding and Orion-oriented pyramid building all at a time, I hoped for an appealing story that could turn the movie into what all movies ought to be: an entertaining session. But the poor-spirited plotline and dull After realizing the film was not simply flawed by multiple (pre)historical incongruities but was a whole blunder itself, with mammoth hunting, incipient agriculture, horse-riding and Orion-oriented pyramid building all at a time, I hoped for an appealing story that could turn the movie into what all movies ought to be: an entertaining session. But the poor-spirited plotline and dull dialogs quickly made that go too. Save the voice of Omar Sharif. This is not what most people will think but if we are not going to be the least faithful to what is known of human past, then what is the point of setting the action in 10000 BC? I find this important because the first contact of a young and non-specialist audience with remote past will be one full of misconceptions; in a time when our knowledge is in continuous progress Expand
  66. DaleM.
    Mar 31, 2008
    I feel sorry for all those who are too smart for this movie. Yes it has historical inaccuracies. So to do the Bible, the Iliad, the Three Musketeers, and numerous other great works. Sometimes the value of a work is from its mythic qualities rather than for its adherence to fact. It's too bad that some "smart" people seem to have no understanding of mythic value. The movie is fun and I feel sorry for all those who are too smart for this movie. Yes it has historical inaccuracies. So to do the Bible, the Iliad, the Three Musketeers, and numerous other great works. Sometimes the value of a work is from its mythic qualities rather than for its adherence to fact. It's too bad that some "smart" people seem to have no understanding of mythic value. The movie is fun and action-packed. It has a real epic feel and some genuine tension about personal versus cultural values. the movie is also rather well-made. Expand
  67. AnonymousMC
    Mar 30, 2008
    What a disappointment... I was initially quite intrigued about this film when watching the trailers, but when I'd finished watching the film, I discovered that the trailers had been made well enough to cover up everything that is wrong with 10,000 BC. Most of the acting is terrible, the story is silly, the historical setting is totally inaccurate and some of the dialog is appalling. What a disappointment... I was initially quite intrigued about this film when watching the trailers, but when I'd finished watching the film, I discovered that the trailers had been made well enough to cover up everything that is wrong with 10,000 BC. Most of the acting is terrible, the story is silly, the historical setting is totally inaccurate and some of the dialog is appalling. It's lucky that the special effects are quite decent, or it would be getting a rating much lower than 2 and a 1/2 from me. Don't waste your money on this. Watch it in a few years when it appears on TV. If you really want to... Expand
  68. PaulC.
    Mar 29, 2008
    I liked this movie better when it was called Encino Man.
  69. J.B.
    Mar 26, 2008
    Hey, common guys! so it was kinda stupid, but i had a really good time watching it. its the kind of movie where you cant be critical of things like historical accuracy and acting per se. its not that kind of movie!! and i liked how they incorporated Atlantean theories (not egyptian katie!!) of the hunter and the dogstar. this movie was 10000 times better than 300, the absolute worstHey, common guys! so it was kinda stupid, but i had a really good time watching it. its the kind of movie where you cant be critical of things like historical accuracy and acting per se. its not that kind of movie!! and i liked how they incorporated Atlantean theories (not egyptian katie!!) of the hunter and the dogstar. this movie was 10000 times better than 300, the absolute worst abomination of historical fiction. Expand
  70. CoffinS.
    Mar 26, 2008
    What the heck is wrong with these critics. Sure, there isn't much historical accuracy, but come on. It was very well made and enjoyable in all other aspects
  71. Bangell
    Mar 25, 2008
    Surprisingly good! Sure, it may not be historicallly accurate, but everything was there to make 10000bc a mini-epic. A few slip-ups, including a dodgy ending, held it back a little, but on the whole it was very enjoyable. Thrilling, powerful, intense fun. Occasional spots of humour, which inspired a chuckle from the audience, but did nothing to detract from the epic feel of the movie. Surprisingly good! Sure, it may not be historicallly accurate, but everything was there to make 10000bc a mini-epic. A few slip-ups, including a dodgy ending, held it back a little, but on the whole it was very enjoyable. Thrilling, powerful, intense fun. Occasional spots of humour, which inspired a chuckle from the audience, but did nothing to detract from the epic feel of the movie. I'd recommend going to see this movie - don't assume it will suck just because the dumb critics say so. Expand
  72. RobH.
    Mar 24, 2008
    I was expecting a more less true rendition of what happened 12k years ago, the first 30 minutes were ok, but once i saw people riding horses everything went downhill, the authors depicted in less than 2 hours what in reality happened in a span of 6 - 8 thousand years.
  73. UNReal101
    Mar 23, 2008
    7. I gave it a solid 7 b/c I went in knowing full well that everyone said it sucked (Plus, Drillbit Taylor was soldout so I settled for this). Movie is horrifically, historically inaccurate, but fantasy wise, it's alright. Just turn off the brain cells walking into this one.
  74. KeithD.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This movie was kind of fun to watch, just don't take it too seriously. It seems this would be good movie for teenage boys (they seem to like it the best, at least). Perhaps even middle-aged men. ;-) But I agree as far as movies go, it was pretty bad. But still a nice escape to the movies.
  75. AlexanderC.
    Mar 22, 2008
    Overall, I think the movie was indeed a wonderful piece that had served its purpose. As a history intuitive thinker however, FACE IT, I will agree it's very much quite inaccurate. Yet the film did a great job with the CGI, (the effects in the environment and animals looked almost real). Also, the storyline does have a good balance of a little romance, and tons of action and Overall, I think the movie was indeed a wonderful piece that had served its purpose. As a history intuitive thinker however, FACE IT, I will agree it's very much quite inaccurate. Yet the film did a great job with the CGI, (the effects in the environment and animals looked almost real). Also, the storyline does have a good balance of a little romance, and tons of action and adventure, not the killer machine slaughterhouse bulls**t I've seen in other movies. The cast with Strait, Belle, Mona Hammond, and Cliff Curtis all did a great job with the parts. But in terms of historical accuracies, not only did pyramids and pack animals were problems, but the technology was greatly innacurate. I'm quite sure that the dhals (sailboats) used in the movie and domestication of horses definitely didn't exist in 10,000 B.C. Also, look at the clothing the antagonists, wore (c'mon, color dye was already invented then - There's NO WAY). Yet Besides the historical inaccuracies that would make history teachers, professors, and scholars greatly disappointed at Hollywood, the film did a wonderful job for a fictional based story. It's worth the watch. Expand
  76. RF
    Mar 22, 2008
    Personally, i think the main characters spoke english to make it easier to follow the movie (subtitles take away from other things like the special effects.) and since the other languages were made up, how was one supposed to know there were different ones? easy, have one in english so the others sound different! All in all I think chosing english for the main tribe made the movie a lot Personally, i think the main characters spoke english to make it easier to follow the movie (subtitles take away from other things like the special effects.) and since the other languages were made up, how was one supposed to know there were different ones? easy, have one in english so the others sound different! All in all I think chosing english for the main tribe made the movie a lot more enjoyable. As for the rest of the movie.....it never claimed to be historically accurate so everyone should just settle down and take it as a fairytale ending. Expand
  77. Katie
    Mar 22, 2008
    I just hope this piece of crap won't brainwash our already ignorant teenagers about what really happened in prehistory. Some examples, some obvious, some not so obvious: -mammoths were never used as draft animals -the earliest Egyptian pyramid wasn't built until about 2600 BC -chiles and corn are native to the New World (i.e. the Americas) -the Egyptian Pharaohs were not white I just hope this piece of crap won't brainwash our already ignorant teenagers about what really happened in prehistory. Some examples, some obvious, some not so obvious: -mammoths were never used as draft animals -the earliest Egyptian pyramid wasn't built until about 2600 BC -chiles and corn are native to the New World (i.e. the Americas) -the Egyptian Pharaohs were not white And of course, after the advent of agriculture, we all lived happily ever after, never hungered or warred or even had to sh*t again. Expand
  78. Sean
    Mar 21, 2008
    OK this is a FANTASY. Do not expect historical accuracy. Do expect the most original story those bastards in Hollywood have come up with in a very long time. Go have fun. It rocks.
  79. PS
    Mar 21, 2008
    Unintentionally hilarious, but still the worst film I've seen in ages. The plot, actors, special effects, EVERYTHING was horrible.
  80. Dawn
    Mar 18, 2008
    I felt sympathetic to the old blind man that spent his days in a dark hole after I walked out of the theater of 10,000 B.C.
  81. BuzzB
    Mar 18, 2008
    You know how it's possible to enjoy a dumb movie if you make a pact with your brain to disengage most of your brain cells and sit back and enjoy the action. Well you can't do that with 10,000 BC because it's too stupid with absolutely no redeeming features whatsover. To have any chance at all of enjoying this film you would need to be mentally retarded and, even then, You know how it's possible to enjoy a dumb movie if you make a pact with your brain to disengage most of your brain cells and sit back and enjoy the action. Well you can't do that with 10,000 BC because it's too stupid with absolutely no redeeming features whatsover. To have any chance at all of enjoying this film you would need to be mentally retarded and, even then, you'd probably still want your money back. How studio people can sit around and give the green light to the production of complete dross such as this really beggars belief. Rent a copy of 2 Million Years BC with Raquel Welch instead. Expand
  82. ZeeM
    Mar 17, 2008
    Thats It..I'm not trusting these Critics anymore. I was shocked by the reviews and didn't want to go watch it anymore. But I just had the nerve to. I was worried it was gonna be terrible as It was rated. After the movie finished I was shocked, This is the last time I'm ever gonna trust critics, this movie was absolutely incredible! Like come on! It was Intense, genius, Thats It..I'm not trusting these Critics anymore. I was shocked by the reviews and didn't want to go watch it anymore. But I just had the nerve to. I was worried it was gonna be terrible as It was rated. After the movie finished I was shocked, This is the last time I'm ever gonna trust critics, this movie was absolutely incredible! Like come on! It was Intense, genius, thrilling, some parts were funny that were not supposed to be like the way people shacked and looked! Amazing Movie from start to finish, It was breath taking. There were some stupidity though. Well overall great movie, highly recommend teens from age 13-17 that take small humors and big suspense and don't take movie critics 100% serious!!! Expand
  83. TusharV.
    Mar 17, 2008
    This picture is very crazy and amazing film it is very nice and must is picture's lockecan is very very good film this film is world no 1 film and great film 1oooo BC.
  84. J.D.L.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Plenty of sweeping vistas, but far too many historical, ethnic, technological, and geographic inconsistencies and outright falsehoods, longwinded narrations, stilted, wooden performances, and unimpressive special effects. Also WAY too much use of the line combination "This Way!", "Move move move!", and "Hurry!" By the end of the film, me and my friends didn't even remember any of the Plenty of sweeping vistas, but far too many historical, ethnic, technological, and geographic inconsistencies and outright falsehoods, longwinded narrations, stilted, wooden performances, and unimpressive special effects. Also WAY too much use of the line combination "This Way!", "Move move move!", and "Hurry!" By the end of the film, me and my friends didn't even remember any of the silly made-up names of anyone, nor did we care a whit about what happened to them throughout the movie. And the fact that it takes a white guy to unite and lead a force of black and brown (how they can communicate with one another is beyond me) is a bit goofy and demeaning. If this is the best Roland Emmerich can do, he has NO business writing or directing films, especially on such large budgets. And in an age where so many Americans are ignorant or stupid or both, throwing all this pseudohistory at them is not helpful. The great pyramids weren't built until 2300 B.C., they weren't that big, and they didn't use mammoths to build them! I could go one forever with the silliness, but in the end all I can do is scratch my head and wonder WHY they did such a bad job with this. Finally, the PG-13 rating totally neutered the excitement and/or realism a movie about prehistory requires. 10,000 B.C. was a bloody, brutal age, but we hardly see any violence, and NO sex! WTFH? Expand
  85. LukeG.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Absolute genius. Emmerich very cleverly and subtly worked in many myths, legends and more modern ideas into his film. Such as the 10,000bc date thought by some to be when the sphinx at giza was built (seen in the film with the head of a lion, which some believe it originally was, later recarved by the Egyptians with the face of the pharaoh), along with perhaps the legend of Atlantis - Absolute genius. Emmerich very cleverly and subtly worked in many myths, legends and more modern ideas into his film. Such as the 10,000bc date thought by some to be when the sphinx at giza was built (seen in the film with the head of a lion, which some believe it originally was, later recarved by the Egyptians with the face of the pharaoh), along with perhaps the legend of Atlantis - "they flew across the water when the land sank". Very enjoyable film, but you really need to know about some of the more 'fringe' theories about atlantis and a 10,000bc date for the sphinx in order to understand the subtle references. Expand
  86. Sam
    Mar 15, 2008
    Before I go into this review, I want it to be pointed out that I love dumb fun. I'd give Independence Day a 10 out of 10 for fuck's sake. I can enjoy movies with bad acting and writing. But, for the love of Christ, 10,000 B.C. has such unforgivably terrible acting and writing that good action and pretty visuals can't come close to saving it. The movie is full of Before I go into this review, I want it to be pointed out that I love dumb fun. I'd give Independence Day a 10 out of 10 for fuck's sake. I can enjoy movies with bad acting and writing. But, for the love of Christ, 10,000 B.C. has such unforgivably terrible acting and writing that good action and pretty visuals can't come close to saving it. The movie is full of ridiculously awful lines (DO NOT EAT ME WHEN I LET YOU FREE), and the atrociously wooden acting doesn't help in the slightest. Were the action fantastic (not just good) and acting bad (not terrible), then I would have given the movie a 7 and maybe rented it again. I can safely say I don't really want to see it again. Expand
  87. JoseO.
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is the worst movie of the last century, I lost my money, my time and shame going to see this piece of...
  88. DavidS.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Clearly a remake of 100000 BC but tries to rectify the historical inaccuracies of the original by incorporating a bunch of modern crackpot theories while keeping it just as fun.
  89. RandyC.
    Mar 12, 2008
    I don't know what Mr. Emmerich got for directing this thing, but it should be life........YUCK.
  90. BrandonC.
    Mar 12, 2008
    I would advise that you wait for this movie to come out on DVD, so you can skip it again. This movie has literally nothing going for it. The acting is poor. the plot is full of holes bigger than George Bush's presidency. Though the CG effects are good, all the action sequences are spoiled by terrible dialouge and screenplay. If this movie was a comedy, it would be great, but because I would advise that you wait for this movie to come out on DVD, so you can skip it again. This movie has literally nothing going for it. The acting is poor. the plot is full of holes bigger than George Bush's presidency. Though the CG effects are good, all the action sequences are spoiled by terrible dialouge and screenplay. If this movie was a comedy, it would be great, but because it takes itself so seriously, it goes from laughably bad to annoying. You'll laugh, you'll cry. and you can kiss your money goodbye! Expand
  91. KyleT
    Mar 12, 2008
    You'll really need an open mind for this movie.I think that it was wonderful and the connection between the two lovers is really touching. For the battle scenes, I think they were among the best for an ancient movie. Its actually a matter of opinion, whether u think the movie is good or not.
  92. Enrique
    A big, resounding bomb!
  93. TimP.
    Mar 12, 2008
    Not the best movie for sure, but great for a fun escape movie. Would probably be more worth a rental than seeing on the big screen.
  94. YosuaP.
    Mar 11, 2008
    I can only agree with Janae, I just cannot understand why this film has received such terrible critic. I admit that the actor's acting abilities could have made it a bit more credible, but what I really enjoyed was how they managed to create a prehistoric world with semi-fictional races based on our own past, and letting them coexist with each other. I think that it was an I can only agree with Janae, I just cannot understand why this film has received such terrible critic. I admit that the actor's acting abilities could have made it a bit more credible, but what I really enjoyed was how they managed to create a prehistoric world with semi-fictional races based on our own past, and letting them coexist with each other. I think that it was an interesting glimpse into the history of mankind from a new perspective and quite worth watching, not only for hobby historians like me. Expand
  95. DaveD.
    Mar 11, 2008
    The basic plot is predictable, but the experience is enjoyable. Great special effects. I give it high marks for family friendliness. The violence is not gory. Most older grade schoolers would have no problems with it.
  96. Jude
    Mar 10, 2008
    This movie sucks. Of all the movies I've watched, this was the only movie that I walked out on. I regretted wasting my money on this.
  97. JayK.
    Mar 10, 2008
    it looks epic, it is epic. I don't know why there are so many bad reports on it. the movie takes us back to a time of early civilization whether it is 10000bc or 5000bc I don't care. just look at the movie for what it is.
  98. ChadS.
    Mar 10, 2008
    "10,000 B.C." is "Apocalypto" for bright toddlers(dummies is too harsh and insulting to the bright toddlers). Mel Gibson may have issues with the chosen people, but give the guy some credit. The Mayans didn't speak English. Neither did people who lived during the Paleolithic period. But in "10,000 B.C.", they do. And it's distracting. Especially so when another tribe speaks a "10,000 B.C." is "Apocalypto" for bright toddlers(dummies is too harsh and insulting to the bright toddlers). Mel Gibson may have issues with the chosen people, but give the guy some credit. The Mayans didn't speak English. Neither did people who lived during the Paleolithic period. But in "10,000 B.C.", they do. And it's distracting. Especially so when another tribe speaks a dissimilar language. This difference reminds me of the animated animals in Disney films. Goofy talks. Pluto talks like a dog. It makes no intellectual sense. It's all arbitrary. Just like the assignment of languages to the warring tribes. "10,000 B.C." might as well be a cartoon, a cartoon by Hanna Barbera, that is. As previously stated, this movie will entertain bright toddlers, or the bright toddler in the television-addled viewer. For pete's sake, a narrator? Really? Communicating through hieroglyphics, not expressive enough? And the half-hearted(PG-13 sanctioned) human sacrifices to the gods made me yearn for the Grand Guginol scale of decapitations in "Apocalypto". Gibson knows how to photograph a rolling head. He also knows a thing or two about keeping it real. Any historical film is capable of withstanding an anachorism, here and there, but "10,000 B.C." never comes close to establishing time and place. Although "Quest for Fire" looks the worst production of "Cirque du Soleil" you ever saw, give that film its props for inventing their own language. Rae Dawn-Chong, where are you? "10,000 B.C." needs you, not that Lindsey Lohan-lookalike. Expand
  99. 2Li
    Mar 10, 2008
    The Egyptians did exist in 10 000 B.C--but blond hair and blue eyes..I don't think so, look it up--and neither did the Sabor-tooth which had LONG been extinct--this movie is way too inaccurate--but amusing enough.
  100. JanaeM
    Mar 10, 2008
    I thought that the movie was great... the reviewers up above are all too cynical to see what an interesting movie it was. I thought the prophesy's that were included made the movie so much more dynamic, and while the special effects weren't phenomenal, I loved the plot and the journey through ancient civilization, no matter who accurate/inaccurate it was! We don't watch I thought that the movie was great... the reviewers up above are all too cynical to see what an interesting movie it was. I thought the prophesy's that were included made the movie so much more dynamic, and while the special effects weren't phenomenal, I loved the plot and the journey through ancient civilization, no matter who accurate/inaccurate it was! We don't watch these movies for a history lesson though, do we? If we did maybe I'd be super cynical like those critics, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie myself! Expand

1. Emmerich has no time for poetry or magic, even when the director and his digital wizards (here doing wildly variable work) are trying to dazzle. He’s a taskmaster and a field marshall, not a visionary. But I enjoyed 10,000 B.C. more and more, and more than just about anything Emmerich’s done before.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Conventional where it should be bold and mild where it should be wild, 10,000 BC reps a missed opportunity to present an imaginative vision of a prehistoric moment.
    "The Day After Tomorrow" was kind of stupidly fun, and 10,000 B.C. might be too, if it weren't so stupidly dull.