8.2

1. Apr 29, 2015
    Do you want a resume of this film without spoilers ?
    3 Hours of shots in space
    so f*cking boring
    seriously, I like the Shining, I like A Orange Clockwork, So i can only think that Kubrick was very very very VERY drunk while making this Movie, And several critics and movie goers thought "It can't be this bad, So It must mean something !!"
  2. Apr 29, 2015
    Perhaps it takes the passage of time to gain the perspective to call some films great. Certain movies, despite being ridiculed upon their initial release, have been "re-discovered" years later and labeled as forgotten classics. It's a universal truth that art isn't always immediately recognized as such - this is why so many revered painters, authors, and composers have died in poverty andPerhaps it takes the passage of time to gain the perspective to call some films great. Certain movies, despite being ridiculed upon their initial release, have been "re-discovered" years later and labeled as forgotten classics. It's a universal truth that art isn't always immediately recognized as such - this is why so many revered painters, authors, and composers have died in poverty and relative obscurity. Filmmakers face some of the same challenges - in a business climate, courage is the number one characteristic needed by anyone with the goal of fashioning a work that is deliberately thought-provoking but lacking in mass appeal. Such idealistic intentions won't inflate any director's bank account, but they may make an enduring statement. That brings us to the subject of this review: Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Despite gaining additional adherents and growing more respected with each passing day, 2001 would likely be a failure if shown to a typical, MTV-weaned group of multiplex patrons. Watching this film demands two qualities that are sadly lacking in all but the most mature and sophisticated audiences: patience and a willingness to ponder the meaning of what's transpiring on screen. 2001 is awe inspiring, but it is most definitely not a "thrill ride." It is art, it is a statement, and it is indisputably a cinematic classic.

I was around in 1968 when 2001 was first released, but I wasn't old enough to be concerned with anything more substantive than bottles and sleep. However, in the intervening years, I have spoken to several individuals who attended premieres of the film. The level of anticipation surrounding 2001 was as high as that to accompany any cinematic event before or after. Not only had Kubrick developed the project in complete secrecy, but, with the space race in its final laps, the world was ready to inhale any whiff of science fiction. But 2001 did not satisfy everyone. In fact, the initial reaction could charitably be called mixed. While a minority of those in early audiences recognized that they had witnessed the birth of a masterpiece, many movie-goers were nonplused and confused. Several influential mainstream publications panned the film, and, while it was successful at the box office, it was not the blockbuster some had expected it to be. Yet 2001 did not die. Instead, its reputation grew, and, by the mid-'70s, it had become a Goliath.

It's questionable which element of 2001 stands out the most clearly: the pacing, the music, or the visuals. In truth, the three are inseparable. Like a skilled chef, Kubrick blended them together to form a dish of incomparable excellence. They are unique ingredients, yet, once mixed, they can no longer be reconstituted into their original forms. For most movies, this is not the case, but that's one of many areas in which 2001 is an exception. Listening to a soundtrack of this film provokes an avalanche of images in the mind's eye. Can anyone who has seen 2001 listen to the Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" and not think of the shuttle docking at the space station? And Richard Strauss' rousing, unforgettable "Also Spoke Zarathustra" has become synonymous with this picture. (In fact, "Zaruathustra" is often referred to as the "Theme from 2001".)

As is true of every Kubrick film, the meticulous attention to detail is evident. Working in close concert with co-screenwriter Arthur C. Clarke and other scientific advisors, Kubrick made sure that every aspect of the film conformed to known scientific fact. His vision is eerily accurate, and, even though we have not attained Clarke's prophesied advancements, we are on the same track. Additionally, there isn't a moment in 2001 that seems dated. The film could just as easily have been made in the '90s as in the '60s.

The Academy Award-winning special effects represent some of the most impressive model work ever committed to screen. They are at least the equal, if not superior to, George Lucas' efforts in Star Wars. Today, visual effects are all about pushing the digital envelope, but there are times when it's worth looking back to how things were done in a simpler era, when technological limitations demanded greater creativity. Douglas Trumbull's accomplishments in 2001 represent an innovative pinnacle.

2001 needs to be experienced to be appreciated. It loses something on a TV screen; even the best home video setup can't replicate what it's like to see the movie in a theater. 2001 does not build bonds between the viewers and the characters or set up a straightforward, linear storyline. Instead, it challenges the audience and inspires wonder. Proponents argue that this is Kubrick's best film; regardless of whether or not that is true, there's no doubting that this movie represents the product of a great director at the height of his powers. 32 years after its release, 2001 has lost none of the qualities that make it an acknowledged masterwork.
  3. Apr 19, 2015
    In my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating for the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remainsIn my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating for the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remains unique in content and unmatched in visual effects, making it a timeless masterpiece. Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2015
    2001: A Space Odyssey is slow, meditative, poetic and philosophical. It's artistry in its purest form. 2001 unfolds like an enchanting symphony in which each note lingers long enough for us to contemplate its significance and appreciate its allure. It feeds the soul and strikes a chord of affinity within our beings. 2001 encourages us to ask big questions about the birth of intelligence,2001: A Space Odyssey is slow, meditative, poetic and philosophical. It's artistry in its purest form. 2001 unfolds like an enchanting symphony in which each note lingers long enough for us to contemplate its significance and appreciate its allure. It feeds the soul and strikes a chord of affinity within our beings. 2001 encourages us to ask big questions about the birth of intelligence, first contact, the usefulness of tools and our place in the universe. But it doesn't always give us answers; it rather proposes we search for them in our own subconscious. People need to watch this film with an open mind; only then they'll be able to uncover the genius behind it.
    While reading a captivating book, we picture the events described in our heads. The book just draws the lines on the paper, it proposes that we fill in the colors ourselves. And each person fills the page with different colors; everyone conceives the incidents differently. Kubrick takes this idea a notch further. He gives us a page filled with colors and he entreats us to draw the lines, he's asking us to interpret the storyline as we wish. No matter how many times you view it, no matter how much you scrutinize it, the curtains of mystery never fall and the novelty never wears off. 2001 breaks new grounds outshining previous titles and remains unsurpassed today. If great artists such as Picasso, Beethoven and Shakespeare would've watched this film, I'm sure they'd smile. 2001 may lack dialogue but who cares? 'Words' are overrated. It may not win hearts but it wins over the soul. It's a gem that needs to be treasured not dug under the soil. Why? Let's just say because it deserves it.
  5. Jan 2, 2015
    The perhaps greatest movie ever conceived by humanity, masterfully directed by Stanley Kubrick, expresses beautifully what Arthur C. Clarke envisioned with his epic four book trilogy. Transcendental, pleasant, smart, interesting, thought-provoking, this is all the evolution of film making is about. With an awe-inducing soundtrack by Strauss, combined with the cold, dark atmosphere ofThe perhaps greatest movie ever conceived by humanity, masterfully directed by Stanley Kubrick, expresses beautifully what Arthur C. Clarke envisioned with his epic four book trilogy. Transcendental, pleasant, smart, interesting, thought-provoking, this is all the evolution of film making is about. With an awe-inducing soundtrack by Strauss, combined with the cold, dark atmosphere of outer space, where no one can hear you scream and where evolution and creation's secrets lie. The Monolith spreads secrets to all ears; few are bound to truly listen. "It's full of stars!" Expand
  6. Dec 28, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick's great and grand masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey, is perhaps his most hated and his most loved. People either love it (5 star ratings) or hate it (no star ratings). Debate around this film has been going on since its release in 1968. But the vast percentage of the controversy has played out over the last several years. It seems the new generation does not like this filmStanley Kubrick's great and grand masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey, is perhaps his most hated and his most loved. People either love it (5 star ratings) or hate it (no star ratings). Debate around this film has been going on since its release in 1968. But the vast percentage of the controversy has played out over the last several years. It seems the new generation does not like this film because of its slow pace and outdated visual effects (which in my opinion are some of the best in history).

But behind the swayed images, is a story of humanity, the things that we go through and much more. This is a truly genius work of art. This is one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) film that has ever been made.
  7. Dec 18, 2014
    Technically and visually good, but boring and long.
    Technically and visually good, but boring and long.
    Yeah, the visual effects are incredible considering the movie is soon to be 50 years old. The main character's acting is good, but you know what? The movie is incredibly long, and almost nothing happens at all. Some of the scenes go on and on and on and on. And on. It is supposed to be very artistic, but I found it dull and boring. It's just ok. And don't get your panties in a bunch and say I can't appreciate art, because I can, I am an artist myself, so shush. Go watch The Shining, if you have to watch Kubrick.
  8. Nov 24, 2014
    A spectacular and metaphorically masterpiece. But unfortunately slow and boring.

The first thing you notice while watching 2001: A Space Odyssey are the incredible visuals that are so incredible. This movie is from the 60s, and I'm stunned by how awesome they made the film. We see astronauts in zero-gravity, spinning space ships and a lot more that I didn't think was possible in 1968. It's an deep and meaningful movie that gives the audience a lot to think of, that's worth a lot! That in combination with a mysterious feeling and much metaphorical scenes that means a lot makes this movie really unique. Those are the most important aspects of the film that I totally love, but there are also many bad things. The worst thing is the second act, where nothing really big happens and I was just so bored. The space scenes in the second act are great but they're just to slow. It's the same with the characters, they are a bit vague and the conversations are boring. Even though the film is in my taste a bit to boring, is every scene important if you want to understand the bigger picture.

In fact, I do like this movie, but everyone knows that a boring and slow film might not work with every individual. Especially not with me. The opening scene is fantastic, but the first 20 minutes is slow, but interesting. The best best parts of the film is in the beginning and the ending, they are both spectacular and fascinating. They should have laid more focus in the middle of the movie, it's to slow there. Of course, imagine seeing this film in the 60s, a time when most people haven't seen Earth above before, it must have been extraordinary! Well it's a new generation now, and we want more action nowadays, but I bet I would have loved it in the 70s! The best aspect of the film I forgot to mention is the soundtrack, so incredible! The sad thing is that it disappeared in the second act.

2001: A Space Odyssey is overall a great film, but the boring scenes are just to much for me. I recommend everyone seeing this film twice, because there's many fundamental aspects of the film that you don't perceive the first time. The boring scenes does unfortunately lower my rating considerably.

2001: A Space Odyssey gets a 6.5/10.
  9. Nov 22, 2014
    2001 was a great film. I think it's Stanley Kubrick's best film, but I haven't seen enough of his films to be sure of it. Definitely a film everyone should see before they die.
  10. Nov 17, 2014
    This movie did not impress me in the slightest. It is not as if the music is original. This "odyssey" is horribly incoherent and boring. I guess I just don't get it, nor do I want to.
  11. Nov 16, 2014
    From one of the dumbest opening scenes to an ending that can be describe as one of the worst in history, a 2001: A Space Odyssey is nothing but a dull pretentious film that for almost it's 3 hour length, had less to offer than a blank white wall. This is the worst science fiction movie I've ever seen.
  12. Nov 12, 2014
    I personally think Kubrick use obfuscation style so people get more curious to see the movie, the visual effect are awesome but definitely not his best work,
  13. Nov 12, 2014
    Too abstract to provide anything, Stanley Kubrick's "masterpiece" is an overlong, lifeless adventure with one dimensional characters and a terribly disjointed plot (if there is any).
  14. Nov 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start with, I can definitely say that 2001 A Space Odyssey is a film with great potential and premise, deals with a big amount of important themes and achieves to remain a film of great importance.

Stanley Kubrick worked pretty hard on this film and managed to create some of the best visual effects ever made. His direction is amazing and he gives to the film an eerie atmosphere.

Some dismissed the film as boring and incomprehensible. Well If you consider 2001 boring you must definitely have really small imagination. Of course it is like a silent film but Kubrick supports the point of the film with great artistry and leaves us think and search in our mind and our hearts.

2001 A Space Odyssey is a spellbinding and absorbing adventure in secret paths that we may never find out in our lives because they are too short.

To end I can definitely say that 2001 is not only one of the best sci-fi movies ever made but also one of the best generally. It is one of the most thought provoking films (like all the sci-fi should be) and inspires our awe in every minute of it.

Of course there is an openness in the film's meaning especially in the ending shots which have an allegorical and philosophical meaning. For me 2001 is not a religious film but it's about science, discovery and mainly for evolution.

It's a film for adults and mature teenagers because it could be extremely weird and disturbing for younger audiences. But it's a must-see for every cinephile around the world.
  15. Nov 4, 2014
    The best movie that I've ever seen.

The cinematography is beautiful, HAL 9000 is the best sci-if villain that I've seen in ages, the meanings are well told, and everything about it is just.....amazing.
  16. Oct 26, 2014
    Masterpiece stanley kubrick does a great job and hall is really scary one of the best films everin hollywood and for those people who think its overrated you just are impacient this film is amazing and a must see
  17. Oct 12, 2014
    2001:A Space Odyssey manages to intrigue you every way by telling a story in a very unconventional way.With hidden messages and meanings, Stanley Kubrick's vision improved the material and gave it an artistic value.
  18. Sep 2, 2014
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part"2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part was. If the film was about 20 minutes shorter, cutting out the more boring parts of the beginning and making the Star Gate sequence shorter, it would have been a perfect experience. Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2014
    This is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, aThis is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, a piece of art. Kubrick at his best. Expand
  20. Aug 13, 2014
    Absolutely a classic of film. The rich story does not give what it is about. It symbolizes that us humans are still evolving and that in order to achieve greater things, we must overcome what we know and keep dreaming. A movie that everyone one should see.
  21. Jul 21, 2014
    Que difícil es hacer una crítica de esta película... la odio y me gusta a la vez. Una película muy compleja, buena para la época en la que se hizo, ya que si la hubieran hecho el año pasado puede que le bajara dos o tres puntos. De Kubrick hay obras mejores pero esta al fin y al cabo es una buena película.
  22. Jul 9, 2014
    This film is fantastic. Now, it is very, very slow and can be a tad dull for sure, but for the most part, it is wraps you up and refuses to let go. The imagery is immaculate and you can see Kubrick's trademark cinematography here and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to pick my jaw up from the floor at times when seeing the beautiful images he managed to construct. In addition, theThis film is fantastic. Now, it is very, very slow and can be a tad dull for sure, but for the most part, it is wraps you up and refuses to let go. The imagery is immaculate and you can see Kubrick's trademark cinematography here and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to pick my jaw up from the floor at times when seeing the beautiful images he managed to construct. In addition, the special effects are phenomenal. For 2014 they are great, let alone for 1968. Just absolutely stunning to watch. The sets are also brilliantly put together. In terms of sound, the soundtrack is phenomenal and is a great companion to the images. The acting here is solid, but that was all that was required, as there is not that much dialogue where acting is crucial, but they were competent and in the more dialogue carried sequences did well. This film is undoubtedly tough to grasp after watching it, but there is certainly more going on than meets the eye. However, what does meet the eye is the brilliant imagery and amazing "future" (past now) that Stanley Kubrick put on screen. Just truly a brilliant work of art. Expand
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    How do I begin to describe this film? It's too good for words, and it always will be! Stanley Kubrick gives us this provocative and interesting film about who we are and where we're going. It truly shows us what it is like to actually be human, and the mistakes we make.

A flawless science fiction (or science fact) film so enigmatic and chilling, its legacy still impacts our world today. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the big bang of sci-fi and will always be the greatest of the genre.
  24. Jun 11, 2014
    After watching this movie for the first time, i was mesmerized. It's a very simple movie, yet very in depth, some may say it's boring. From start to finish you will see art at it's finest. In 1991, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry
  25. May 25, 2014
    Arguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visualArguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visual effects for its time. The Story is a mind boggling adventure that leaves you dumbfounded.

Of course like many others I was young when I first watched this film now back then it was hard to even watch a 2 hour film id either fall asleep or just get bored of it. This movie though had another effect on me I was engulfed with awe and wonder id say it was the film that made me become the sci-fi junkie a am today. Stanley Kubrick's cinematography was simplistic yet masterful having long drawn out scene letting you embrace the full meaning of it was artistic.

For the people that don't like this film I call them "weak minded" this film takes quite a lot of thought to understand it and seeing how stupid most people are nowadays i can see why teenagers and young adults can't wrap their head around this film and films like it unless it has guns, explosions and hot chicks. Even now the film still leaves me wondering about the black monoliths.

Overall I give it a solid 10 This is Stanley Kubrick masterpiece and for good reason even today this film still holds its ground as the best sci-fi movie ever made and I think it will be sometime before a film will surpass it.
  26. Apr 26, 2014
    This film is surely the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinema both on a technical level and a storytelling level from the hands down the greatest filmmaker that America has ever produced. A film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Kubrick has practically destroyed the entire science fiction genre.
  27. Apr 9, 2014
    The grandaddy of sci-fi, an incomparable experience of sense and of mind. Best to approach the revelationary details of the book afterwards, allowing Kubrick's sense of style and majesty to pervade the inner mind.
  28. Apr 6, 2014
    The first time I've seen this movie, I was boored and disappointed, because I had false expectations, but after awhile I understood the idea behind it: This movie tells a story of the development of mankind and shows the beauty and infinity of space. When you watch it, then you must absorb the atmosphere.

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an experience, which makes you speechless, when you think about it!

Apart from some scenes, which are a bit too long for me, this movie is wonderful. When it came out, this technology revolutionized the filmmaking!
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    A well crafted piece of art. Incredibly unusual last act! From "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" unleash the thrills and mystery of an influential, mind blowing adventure unlike any other, from prehistoric ape-ancestry into uncharted realms of space. Personally, I loved the middle, HAL was terrifying and unpredictable villain. Not everyones type of movie. The film ends leaving more questionsA well crafted piece of art. Incredibly unusual last act! From "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" unleash the thrills and mystery of an influential, mind blowing adventure unlike any other, from prehistoric ape-ancestry into uncharted realms of space. Personally, I loved the middle, HAL was terrifying and unpredictable villain. Not everyones type of movie. The film ends leaving more questions than answers. Expand
  30. Mar 23, 2014
    Beautiful, deep and mind-blowing, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is definitely a film that needs reconsideration before blind criticism over its plot. The story is not linear and simple, but piled with lots of metaphors and symbols. The use of music is absolutely fantastic. I recommend it to everyone who loves to argue about philosophical topics and to everyone who just really like movies.

1. This is the way this ground-breaking monument was meant to be seen: in mind-boggling 70mm.
  2. Its special effects are used so seamlessly as part of an overall artistic strategy that, as critic Annette Michelson has pointed out, they don't even register as such, and thus are almost impossible to trivialize, a feat unmatched in movies.
    Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape...Alone among science-fiction movies, 2001 is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe.