5.5

1. Sep 20, 2013
    2012 is a great disaster movie, and will keep you entertained the whole time. The CGI and effects in this movie are amazing, and everything that Emmerich shows you on the silver screen is gold.
  2. Nov 7, 2010
    Roland Emmerich is very good at making a movie that has something to do with the end of the world in 2012 according to the mayan calendar, but its not going to happen.

i'm getting ahead of myself. the visuals were great, and the acting was excellent.

Rating: 9/10
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    2012 is a great disaster movie showing all the possible endings of the world. Unlike the other crap disaster movies like Apocalypse now or something this delivers great graphics, top quality voicing and even a lot of real life aspects ( Ferrari and Bentley in the plane) and lots of famous brands ( Coco-Pop can be seen when the supermarket grows a sinkhole). This also introduces new2012 is a great disaster movie showing all the possible endings of the world. Unlike the other crap disaster movies like Apocalypse now or something this delivers great graphics, top quality voicing and even a lot of real life aspects ( Ferrari and Bentley in the plane) and lots of famous brands ( Coco-Pop can be seen when the supermarket grows a sinkhole). This also introduces new technology to us and has been great at showing that not all the end of the world movies are set in USA ( The ending takes place in China) and lots of emotional moments. If you are a fan of disaster flicks this should be watched. Expand
  4. May 1, 2011
    2012 is possibly the single most impressive CGI epic ever released in recent years. As the title obviously states, the movie is about the end of the world and it does a damn good job of portraying it. Sure, the acting and all that other stuff is bad but even if you hated Independence Day you have at least got to appreciate the CGI in this one. Its so good that I have given this movie a2012 is possibly the single most impressive CGI epic ever released in recent years. As the title obviously states, the movie is about the end of the world and it does a damn good job of portraying it. Sure, the acting and all that other stuff is bad but even if you hated Independence Day you have at least got to appreciate the CGI in this one. Its so good that I have given this movie a perfect 10 simply based on the effects. Expand
  5. Oct 3, 2011
    Actually I'll just wait for the day that supposedly the world will end, to make my criticism, then I'll have more critics where to get the facts. For now leave this brief message to remember.
  6. Oct 19, 2011
    This movie was a joy to watch. However it didn't have the best plot/story. It didn't have a proper story to it really, apart from the world ending. You get to meet some interesting characters along the way, but there's no real emotional connection with them like you do with characters in other movies. The CGI and visual effects are stunning, unlike anything I've seen before. Most of theThis movie was a joy to watch. However it didn't have the best plot/story. It didn't have a proper story to it really, apart from the world ending. You get to meet some interesting characters along the way, but there's no real emotional connection with them like you do with characters in other movies. The CGI and visual effects are stunning, unlike anything I've seen before. Most of the movie was done digitally and most of the landscapes they were on were computer generated. The ending was okay, and the action scenes were stunning. It shows the true force of mother nature at her worst and just how easy it can tear apart a single planet. Expand
  7. May 23, 2014
    This is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, second only to Zoo. It really captures the bravery of the heroes that allowed humanity to survive to this day. Okay, now I gotta get back to work. There's a lot of things in the ark that need fixing!
  8. Nov 19, 2014
    Ah yes the beautiful director from Independence Day (1996), and The Day After Tomorrow (2004) comes in with a beaiutiful face-slapping and gut wrenching heart of special effects. 2012 is one of my favorite movies of all time and the one of the best disaster films in the book. It wasn't so hard to do, Roland Emmerich is the king of destruction without a doubt. "2012" is the literal end ofAh yes the beautiful director from Independence Day (1996), and The Day After Tomorrow (2004) comes in with a beaiutiful face-slapping and gut wrenching heart of special effects. 2012 is one of my favorite movies of all time and the one of the best disaster films in the book. It wasn't so hard to do, Roland Emmerich is the king of destruction without a doubt. "2012" is the literal end of the world where a family struggles to survive as the world everywhere crumbles . Earthquakes, Volcano's , the ultimate tsunami's, land shifting here and there. Its pretty much a crumble and crunching time here and there but the movie isn't just that, its much more.

The earthquake scene in Los Angeles is the best, Lilly, the little girl was my favorite in this movie., the "escapes" John Cusack did in the Limo wasn't stupid, it was silly in a very funny entertaining way and felt like something in a dumb cartoon but in this case, if you have a crumbling city devastation fest with funny remarks, its a scene I was watching and STILL am over and over again. Roland Emmerich is awesome!

there's plenty of other stuff, but thats it for now.
  9. Oct 8, 2014
    Very good effects especially during the Los Angeles earthquake! The volcano eruption in Wyoming is amazing and very realistic. Roland Emmerich never let's me down!
  10. Sep 8, 2012
    I definitely can't say that it was the best movie I had ever seen, but it was still a great watch! I don't know what's up with the other reviewers saying that it is "total crap," but, everyone's got their opinions. Great special effects, and a good story. All the humor put into the movie made it better. Although, the acting was ok. Not terrible, but it was good. And, of course, the movieI definitely can't say that it was the best movie I had ever seen, but it was still a great watch! I don't know what's up with the other reviewers saying that it is "total crap," but, everyone's got their opinions. Great special effects, and a good story. All the humor put into the movie made it better. Although, the acting was ok. Not terrible, but it was good. And, of course, the movie is totally unrealistic. Just like any other Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie. Unless you believe in 2012... But, I don't so... Again, pretty good movie. 9/10 from me. Expand
  11. Al
    Nov 20, 2009
    Based on some of the reviews, my expectations were not high. I was very pleasantly surprised! Maybe these harsh reviewers were expecting Shakespeare. This is a fun, entertaining movie that really delivers. Could have used a little editing at the end - a bit too long. Other than that - great!
  12. JohnnyL
    Jan 2, 2010
    I think it could be perfect! Ignore critics and stupid haters, you all must see this film! It's so so so amazing! Really... and the special effects were awesome!
  13. AndyW.
    Mar 21, 2010
    I can not believe how low of a rating this movie has received. The movie was advertised as a huge super amazing special effect movie. And it was! The scenes with special effects (of grounds breaking or Yellowstone blowing) were simply stunning. Through most of those scenes I was holding my breathe and hoping the gang could make it through. And while I missed it in theatres, I can imagine I can not believe how low of a rating this movie has received. The movie was advertised as a huge super amazing special effect movie. And it was! The scenes with special effects (of grounds breaking or Yellowstone blowing) were simply stunning. Through most of those scenes I was holding my breathe and hoping the gang could make it through. And while I missed it in theatres, I can imagine those parts that must have had the entire room just silent. Even the scenes without death and destruction were good too though. There were a few chuckles and a couple awww moments. I thought everyone played their role well and personally I saw nothing wrong with the acting. Overall it was an amazing disaster movie with suspense and excitement throughout the movie. It was wonderfully done and I would easily recommend anyone check it out. Expand
  14. JesseJ
    Mar 6, 2010
    I can not believe people say this has a bad story line. It is friggin amazing, every one is hating on it because they claim it is just pure CGI and no story line, that is complete bs. This movie has an amazing story line and it is very inspiring, and at the same time it packs a massive punch with the amazing CGI scenes, John Cusak is also friggin awesome. I recommend any one to watch it, I can not believe people say this has a bad story line. It is friggin amazing, every one is hating on it because they claim it is just pure CGI and no story line, that is complete bs. This movie has an amazing story line and it is very inspiring, and at the same time it packs a massive punch with the amazing CGI scenes, John Cusak is also friggin awesome. I recommend any one to watch it, including people who hate all the "modern movies". Expand
  15. WilliamB
    Apr 1, 2010
    I don't know why people are giving this movie such a bad rating. I mean u see tidal waves and disaster written all over the psoter, and if you don't like it why did u go c it. I saw this movie and sure I don't believe the world is going to end in 2012, but I just liked the special effects and everything. GREAT MOVIE!!!!
  16. JulianA
    Jan 6, 2010
    I think this was one of the all-time best movies I ever saw. The CGI was great, the suspense had me holding my breath through the whole two hours, and the story was very moving. I don't care what the people who gave this movie 0's say--it was outstanding.
  17. daver.
    Mar 29, 2010
    Order a pizza, grab a few beers, sit back and enjoy - perfect "old school" disaster movie ramped up tenfold - superbly enjoyable.
  18. landonw
    Mar 6, 2010
    I'm Voting a 10 because it is an awesome scenes too see on BLURAY, yes the story had parts that could have better plot but its a future movie & thats not always sci-fi accurate. But way kool on bluray all the way!
  19. JeffT.
    Apr 6, 2010
    Great visual representation of the end of the world! I don't see why everyone says the movie was terrible. The special effects, acting, plotline and the humor made this movie a must-see! The only thing I didn't enjoy seeing was the Bentley jumping out of the jet. There is no way that could ever happen. But, besides that, the movie was terrific!!!!!!!
  20. AlanG
    Jun 11, 2010
    C'mon people! The average is 5.7?! Anyone who gave it below a 7 is an idiot! This movie was the bomb! One of my favorite movies of '09!!
  21. ZakirH.
    Nov 13, 2009
    Big bang graphics with emotions of one family.
  22. NabilS
    Nov 14, 2009
    With proper research.. awesome cgi, comedy, suspense, action, drama.. this movie has the works!!!
  23. DanaM
    Nov 15, 2009
    Enjoyed it thoroughly. Not sure what movie these reviewers were watchin, but we felt it was well worth our scare entertainment dollars. Go see it on the big screen!
  24. OliverH
    Nov 15, 2009
    An amazing film, truly epic in proportion. While everyone seems to get on a little too well, the sheer scope blows you away.
  25. DudleiO.
    Nov 17, 2009
    Of course the movie has some clichès, and as you move towards the end, some of the plot is quite predictable, but it's probably one of the best disaster movies ever made! The scenes are so real and so intense that I felt breathless. You could feel like that was all really happening!
  26. MoizR
    Mar 17, 2010
    Do not believe any of the 0 and 1 ratings anyone gave this move unless it is arranged as 10. The CGI effects alone are ground breaking and you can tell that the movie did not put too much emphasis on why it happens but rather how. The pace is exhilarating and if you don't care for the very slight hiccups in credibility, there is absolutely nothing to complain about. Sentimentality Do not believe any of the 0 and 1 ratings anyone gave this move unless it is arranged as 10. The CGI effects alone are ground breaking and you can tell that the movie did not put too much emphasis on why it happens but rather how. The pace is exhilarating and if you don't care for the very slight hiccups in credibility, there is absolutely nothing to complain about. Sentimentality has been done right to perfection and the acting and characters are portrayed excellently. Overall, it is 10 times the movie "armageddon" and other celebrated blockbusters are. Collapse
  27. JessL
    Apr 13, 2010
    I'm another person who doesn't understand the bad ratings! I thought this movie was amazing, and I'm not even usually a fan of disaster films, and actually haven't even liked most of Emmerich's other films! The pace was great, I didn't even notice how long it was. The effects were amazing - definitely a movie to be seen on as big a screen as possible. And I'm another person who doesn't understand the bad ratings! I thought this movie was amazing, and I'm not even usually a fan of disaster films, and actually haven't even liked most of Emmerich's other films! The pace was great, I didn't even notice how long it was. The effects were amazing - definitely a movie to be seen on as big a screen as possible. And yes, maybe it was a bit prescriptive in terms of who lives, who dies, pulling at heart strings at predictable moments and all that, but it's a blockbuster people! Enjoy! Expand
  28. MauricioL.
    Nov 13, 2009
    Wow the king of all disaster movies, best 10 bucks i ever spent, they really made one of those movies that everybody is going to talk about all year, if you did.nt like it , i know what you will ever like... so as you can see you have to see this movie and on the big screen.
  29. surajsuraj
    Nov 13, 2009
    No matter what the critics say i had best 2 hour entertainment ever. for me fun is what is important not the storytelling.
  30. ChrisA.
    Nov 13, 2009
    A truly amazing film that i would recommend to teenagers. Who love action and adventure, but it is still a good enough for an adult to enjoy.
  31. HollyC.
    Nov 16, 2009
    I loved this movie - felt as though I had been on a huge roller coaster when I left the theater. I was pleased that there was very little "2012" in it. It's classic end-of-the-world-hold onto your pants thrills!!
  32. ChrisO
    Nov 19, 2009
    Simply amazing... it's shocking how some people or critics can rate this movie low (people who only like Mario and Harry Potter I'd bet) Must see!!!
  33. LukeG
    Nov 21, 2009
    This movie was so cool. The Only bad thing about it was that there were not one, not two, but three shots where they were escaping danger somehow in the nick of time. Otherwise this movie was awesome.
  34. KevonA
    Nov 21, 2009
    From the director if Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow, you'll expect in 2012 you'll get some mass destruction of unspeakable disasters as the world would end. And that's exactly what you get. The plot could have been better but it's overshadowed by Grade 'A' special effects and brilliant acting. It's a must watch. Total Immersion and a classic From the director if Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow, you'll expect in 2012 you'll get some mass destruction of unspeakable disasters as the world would end. And that's exactly what you get. The plot could have been better but it's overshadowed by Grade 'A' special effects and brilliant acting. It's a must watch. Total Immersion and a classic disaster movie. Expand
  35. MickL
    Nov 26, 2009
    There's something to be said for a formula picture done almost to perfection. In 2012, Emmerich gives you everything you expect, but gives it to you bigger.
  36. BradG
    Nov 26, 2009
    Think Airplane or Scary Movie done with a huge budget, talented technical staff and an absolutely straight face. Reading the professional reviews, I can't help but think that most of the critics missed the joke - I was in tears for fully half of the movie.
  37. KeenanS.
    Dec 17, 2009
    Oh come on! Why are people so mixed about this film. This film is spectacular and is one helluva ride from start to finish. You mean to tell me, you'll go see New Moon and rave about it, yet hate this film? 2012 rocks and is easily one of the best action films I've ever seen, and is definitely a huge step up from the convoluted and disappointing film The Day After Tomorrow. GO Oh come on! Why are people so mixed about this film. This film is spectacular and is one helluva ride from start to finish. You mean to tell me, you'll go see New Moon and rave about it, yet hate this film? 2012 rocks and is easily one of the best action films I've ever seen, and is definitely a huge step up from the convoluted and disappointing film The Day After Tomorrow. GO AND SEE THIS FILM AND IGNORE THE HATERS! IT ROCKS! Expand
  38. EliW
    Dec 23, 2009
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. The special effects were amazing, the acting was so-so, and the story was very compelling.
  39. JasonT
    Nov 13, 2009
    So through all the suspense you know that majority of the main characters are going to make it through each hair raising cliff hanger moment (literally). You know that destruction is going to be taking down every landmark in CGI that has been done in every other doomsday movie but even considering that I think......I love this movie! It kept me rooting for the characters and there was So through all the suspense you know that majority of the main characters are going to make it through each hair raising cliff hanger moment (literally). You know that destruction is going to be taking down every landmark in CGI that has been done in every other doomsday movie but even considering that I think......I love this movie! It kept me rooting for the characters and there was some great actors that did wonderful jobs with their characters. The volcano scene was absolutely stunning. I've seen all the CGI movies greats but that was incredible! This will be the reason why I will buy a blueray dvd player for the home system. Expand
  40. LexiM
    Nov 14, 2009
    I loved this movie. One of my favorite disaster movies of all time.
  41. SylvieK
    Nov 15, 2009
    Awesome movie!!! Makes you appreciate life a little bit more. CGI's are really good, it did not feel like we were watching for 2h40 mins!
  42. ritah
    Nov 16, 2009
    I liked this movie - even though I read the reviews before I did and after I saw it I relay don't understand what not to like - this is a good movie ... ( as far as actors they all played well including John C he is very good ).
  43. CherM
    Nov 17, 2009
    Scientifically accurate, it ain't. Freaking Awesome, IT IS! Roland Emmerich takes you on a two hour tour through some of humanities greatest fears. Drowning? check. Drowning in a typhoon? check. Drowning after an earthquake hits the Washington D.C. and topples the Washington Monument and the USS JFK smushes the President (Danny Glover, FTW!)? check!!! (maybe that one is just MY Scientifically accurate, it ain't. Freaking Awesome, IT IS! Roland Emmerich takes you on a two hour tour through some of humanities greatest fears. Drowning? check. Drowning in a typhoon? check. Drowning after an earthquake hits the Washington D.C. and topples the Washington Monument and the USS JFK smushes the President (Danny Glover, FTW!)? check!!! (maybe that one is just MY nightmare) Needless to say, this is not a movie rooted in reality. It may have started in reality (as in Emmerich deciding, "Hey, let's have humans in this movie instead of a giant lizard or space aliens!") but the movie is a spectacle. It's that train crash you can't look away from. The gravity-defying cake that YOU KNOW is going to topple onto the bride at any moment. The 2008 Presidential election (I kid, I kid...) Regardless, if you like action movies...if you like AMAZING CGI/special effects...if you like REALLY BIG BOATS...Go see 2012. Ignore the impossibility of the events, and ignore all the dialog in the last hour of the movie and you will love it...and go back again, just like I am. and again. and again.... and again. Expand
  44. RyanAA
    Nov 18, 2009
    Maybe this movie science is little ridiculus,and the story line is confusing at early movie part, but it's fun..the CG is awesome, that's make difrence from other disaster movie in last decade, i imagine if this movie can be make as thrill ride..it will be totally AWESOME.
  45. OmarB
    Nov 18, 2009
    It is simply an excellent film, special effects are impressive, besides, if they wanted a film where everything is scientifically credible, expect to make a documentary fiction. For me, the best movie I've seen, with touches of laughter, excitement, love, action ... Finally, movies are not 100% accurate, A movie is for us to ENJOY OK?
  46. R.Lopez
    Nov 19, 2009
    In Stargate(1994) he took us to a whole other world, In Independence Day(1996) He Invaded the planet like no ones done before, In The Patriot(2000) He showed us the trials and tribulations of The Americans in there fight for freedom and In The Day After Tomorrow he gave us a glimpse of what Global Warming can do to our planet. It's 2009 and Roland Emmerich has created his disaster In Stargate(1994) he took us to a whole other world, In Independence Day(1996) He Invaded the planet like no ones done before, In The Patriot(2000) He showed us the trials and tribulations of The Americans in there fight for freedom and In The Day After Tomorrow he gave us a glimpse of what Global Warming can do to our planet. It's 2009 and Roland Emmerich has created his disaster film masterpiece and that film is called, 2012. 2012 is epic, exciting, smart, heartfelt, dramatic and powerful, It's one of the most potent and sweeping action drama's to hit the screens in years. I haven't been this moved or shocked by a disaster film since I saw The Poseidon Adventure(1974) and The War of the Worlds(2005). The story is centered around an academic researcher and his family as they try and out run the end of the world as predicted by the ancient Mayan calender which states the world will end on 12-21-2012(Which will never happen.) It starts out like all disaster films setting up events and scientists telling you there is nothing to worry about and wigged out people telling you that there lying and the world is coming to an end. Then you meet the hero of your story, in this case John Cusack and you get to see his troubles and find out some things about him, and then the the Earth starts to shake and the Global destruction begins and Cusack and his family are on the run from the danger that seeks to destroy them. Sounds pretty clique, huh? Well truthfully it's not, because once the Earth starts a go-in' the drama and power starts a flow-in'. It's one of the most satisfying films of the year and delivers on it's promise to shock and wow, and boy does it ever. John Cusack delivers an awesome performance as the father and hero of the story, Cusack gives off a great sense of loyalty and selflessness in this film which is rare to see him do seeing as he has never played a part quite like this. Amanda Peet is great as Cusack's ex in this film, she plays the part of the concerned ex and mother very well and gives much emotion to the role than she has done in the past. Chiwetel Ejiofor does great here as the sympathetic and tough scientific adviser to the President. He brings more power to the film and adds more to the dramatic punch the films has. Oliver Platt is nothing short of brilliant as the self-absorbed and crass as the President's Chief of Staff. He is the villain of the film and makes a rare role out of it (seeing as in all disaster films nature is the enemy.) Platt is cunning ,ruthless and smart he adds to the energy and flare of the film and by the end you'll hate his guts. But all in all the cast delivers knockout performances in this film and really raise the bar for this genre. 2012 is a film you have to go into with an open mind so you can fully comprehended the statement it is trying to make. It's one of those film that when you walk out it leaves you gasping for air and also leaves you thinking about how much we don't respect life sometimes. It's a good film, with a powerful message and a great story that resonates with the heart and soul. All in all 2012 delivers. Expand
  47. FatMan
    Nov 23, 2009
    This is awesome! I love it, I don't know why people are acting like idiots saying "It's scientifically impossible!" Course it ain'! It's a freakin movie! And a dang good one too. What about CG? Without it, all the smashing and bashing and explosions wound't be there. And people say there's too much relianse on that. HAVE THEY SEEN THE TRAILER? It's meant This is awesome! I love it, I don't know why people are acting like idiots saying "It's scientifically impossible!" Course it ain'! It's a freakin movie! And a dang good one too. What about CG? Without it, all the smashing and bashing and explosions wound't be there. And people say there's too much relianse on that. HAVE THEY SEEN THE TRAILER? It's meant to show what you can expect, and I got what I expected. 2 hours of the world coming to an end and cool effects(especially when the USS JFK topples on the White house and when the Yellowstone Caldera erupts. Watch this movie! It's awesome. Expand
  48. DanK
    Nov 26, 2009
    2012 takes the disaster movie -- once content simply to threaten the Earth with a comet, or blow up the White House -- to its natural conclusion, the literal end of the world.
  49. JR
    Nov 29, 2009
    Well me and my son went to watch the movie tonight ! And we absolutely loved it! Adventure,action,a little comedy, and great special effects! The story telling was not hard to follow,unlike some others that loose you in the middle of the movie! Sure noone knows when the world is gna end! But it's good to make believe and watch something so terrific, but dn't listen to all the Well me and my son went to watch the movie tonight ! And we absolutely loved it! Adventure,action,a little comedy, and great special effects! The story telling was not hard to follow,unlike some others that loose you in the middle of the movie! Sure noone knows when the world is gna end! But it's good to make believe and watch something so terrific, but dn't listen to all the critics, Go watch it yourself! tell you something i would of loved to save my on the past movies ive watched over the last few weeks! My money today was well worth it!!! Great job well done to everyone involved in this movie! !!!!! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Eye-popping special effects ensure that this movie will be a smash hit, and while it's entertaining for most of its excessive running time, the cheesy script fails to live up to the grandeur of the physical production.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The visual effects are pretty sensational, delivering the cutting-edge CGI goods auds want and expect. It will be hard to watch "Earthquake'' ever again after this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Wilson
    The two-hour-and-40-minute 2012 is overstuffed with special-effects, but the Curtis clan's mad dash out of town is the closest the movie gets to actually being fun.