21 Grams

8.0

1. BenA.
    May 2, 2004
    Great ensemble performance. The characters were well made. The director made sure that we cared about all the characters--not just the likable ones. Many directors neglect to do that. However I'm getting rather sick of the chopped up timeline. It's overdone. It's good when it's necessary, but this movie could have been better without it I think. It had a good premise, Great ensemble performance. The characters were well made. The director made sure that we cared about all the characters--not just the likable ones. Many directors neglect to do that. However I'm getting rather sick of the chopped up timeline. It's overdone. It's good when it's necessary, but this movie could have been better without it I think. It had a good premise, but it didn't click as much as it could have. Expand
  2. IsaacC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    Arguably the best film of 2004. Benicio Del Toro as usual acts the socks of everyone else around him. Although the story is far too conveniently artistic to ever be considered as anything resembling any kind of reality it grips you and shakes violently from start to finish. My one grievance with this film is that although the rewards for those who are patient enough to accept the Arguably the best film of 2004. Benicio Del Toro as usual acts the socks of everyone else around him. Although the story is far too conveniently artistic to ever be considered as anything resembling any kind of reality it grips you and shakes violently from start to finish. My one grievance with this film is that although the rewards for those who are patient enough to accept the initially incomprehensible first half hour on good faith are great, on second and third viewing the film becomes slow, the tension is gone and the story becomes trite. As someone who continuously re-watches my favourite films with little or no loss of enjoyment I am left with one question: Is a film worth watching if you can only see it once? Expand
  3. ShawnA.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Great acting but really depressing, I walked out of this feeling like crud, that's not the way i felt when i walked out of Boys Don't Cry or Schindler's List. So it's not just the subject matter that made me depressed, it's just the movie.
  4. JohnY.
    Nov 23, 2003
    Great performances, but the movie gets lost. The disjointed structure only exists to make the story seem more interesting than it really is. "Amores Perros" is much better. Still, Watts deserves an Oscar nod.
  5. oldboych
    Jul 13, 2006
    acting was over and the actor are too emotional. and why can the girls in this film seem very stupid? very loyal and sure with a math prof and poor ex-prisoner. In my opinion they better leave the guy in that situation.
  6. Jan 27, 2013
    21 Grams could have been an excellent movie. Every character did their part. The problem is the director didn't put the scenes in order, making it hard to be fully engaged in the story.

1. A stunning virtuoso performance by director, cast and crew. This movie knocks you out with an astonishing blend of hyper-realism, visual complexity and powerful themes.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Too-laborious meditation on life and death.
  3. It’s forceful, to be sure, but in a lurid way that suggests a telenovela that’s been baking in the sun too long.