7.6

1. May 15, 2012
    I was going into this move just thinking it was something to watch. But WOW this movie is hysterical. I couldn't stop laughing the entire movie. Not only is Jonah Hill as funny as I thought he would be but Channing Tatum put up some really funny moments. Not only is this a must see its a must Buy. You will not be disappointed with this movie. NOT for young kids.
  2. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "They hate me." In the director's cut of Almost Famous, we find out how much. On a high school marquee, in black caps, the message of the day reads: "William Miller is too young to drive or f***." The other students are pitiless toward the victim of this practical joke, but William manages a brief smile as he traverses the parking lot, alone, armed with a copy of Creem. Music makes him strong. During class, we see the boy's shrine, a blue portfolio covered with the names of his heroes in a graffiti-esque collage created with Bic ink. It's a work in progress, as we glimpse the starry-eyed child putting the final touches on the "n". William may love Led Zeppelin, but he's smart enough not to emulate Robert Plant. His hair is decidedly un-golden god-like. Over the hills and far away, in another high school, another generation, Schmidt, with his close-cropped bleached do, and bling, cultivates, none too successfully, the Eminem look. By embodying the machismo of the rapper, Schmidt works up the courage to approach a girl about the upcoming prom. Before the official invite is issued, though, the hottie stops him. That's because Schmidt is not Slim Shady; he's a nerd, and not even slim. Five years later, when the rookie cop and his buff partner go undercover as students, Schmidt's eventual transformation into a popular kid, retroactively, casts Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a sort of sequel to Almost Famous, because when Cameron Crowe returned to school as an investigative journalist, he was fully-formed, no longer the naive hero, the alter-ego of his bildungsroman, but actually somebody who was cool enough to infiltrate the cliques that mattered, after years of covering bands that mattered. In the Amy Heckerling film, Crowe doesn't have a stand-in; he's the omniscient student who knows Linda, the queen bee, well enough, apparently, to learn about her best friend Stacy, who ends up at an abortion clinic after a series of flings. Crowe's fictional self, while no longer a stranger to sex, due to the adult education he receives from the "Band-Aids" during a stopover in Greenville as a RS correspondent covering Stillwater, the then-screenwriter, despite being privy to an up close and personal look at the debauched lives of the rich and famous, nevertheless, still must have flinched like the rest of us, as Linda and Stacey talked graphically about sex in the cafeteria. Being 23, the scribe could only fantasize about Linda(like Brad), who in the film, emerges from the pool in a red bikini. Whose dream was that really? Because Crowe is unseen, the ethos of the film never gets addressed, like it does in 21 Jump Street, when Sgt. Dickson warns the cops about being chaste while on assignment, faintly echoing the advice given by Lester Bangs to his protege. When bridging the two films together(Almost Famous & Fast Times...), it's easy to imagine Crowe refashioning his mentor's words into something along the lines of "don't make friends with the high school girls." "Doug", the track star and theater brat, keeps a professional distance, but barely, when he comes perilously close to kissing Molly, at the moment that their prom plans get verified. She is Wendy to his Peter Pan, akin to Crowe and Ann Wilson(of Heart). As a point of reference, Schmidt fulfills his Eminem dreams of yesteryear by singing "I've Gotta CROW", rhyming like Mary Martin circa 1955. The "real Slim Shady" stands up. He's a romantic. The film's greatest irony is that Doug becomes popular by being himself, not a gangsta, even though 21 Jump Street pays homage to Donnie Brasco, none more cleverly than when the cop calls Molly on the phone, and nearly blows his cover. Whereas Joe Pistone learns that a wise guy never carries a wallet, Doug, in so many words, is told to text-message like any savvy teenager living in the digital age. Lefty Ruggiero represents the FBI agent, giving "Donnie" the credibility he needs to pervade the inner sanctum of a mafia crew. To his chagrin, Joe becomes Sonny Black's right-hand man. Similarly, Eric, a drug dealer, takes a shine to Doug(angering "Brad"), and introduces him to his supplier. Both men, in the process, lose themselves in the subculture, crossing the line from observer to participant, in which they find their humanity and attudinization melding into one. For the cop, this embarkation begins at a house party, where he gets stabbed during a melee between rival high school drug factions. The experience imprints him. In that instant, he becomes a stud. Likewise, Joe's metamorphosis into Donnie is inaugurated at a Japanese restaurant, where a waiter nearly gets pummeled to death in the bathroom, after the niceties of culture nearly blows his cover. Later, a lesson in mass vivisection pushes Joe to the brink. In Schmidt's case, it's a college application he plans on filling out. For Crowe, it could have been the moment that Linda sticks the carrot in her mouth. Expand
  3. May 1, 2012
    Relentlessly brash and grossly witty, 21 Jump Street is a pleasant surprise. It's an honest mockery of stereotype teen movie with relevant content caters for this generation of youth. While some scenes might get over-ridiculous, it never felt tedious and I admit I've never laughed that hard in the cinema. The script is bluntly creative, often bordering on absurdity but in a fresh way far from cheesy teeny clichés. It proves that clever writing doesn't have to be fancy literature, it can also be **** hilarious ****

The story goes that Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum), two rookie policemen, are being assigned as undercover agents in a high school due to emergence of a new drug called HFS (Holy **** **** These two are typical combo of a big but less intelligent jock and a smart but less confident nerd. Much have changed since their time at high school, the educational facility is now a strange zone for them both, add some intoxication substances and you have this **** of juvenile craziness.

The cast is very likeable, both Schmidt and Jenko are socially awkward in their own ways, and somehow they always end up in catastrophic situations. Ice Cube as Capt. Dickson, stereotype of angry black captain, actually make fun of his stereotype. This is a movie that knows the silliness of it all and rather than masks it with ejaculation of pretentious corny dialogues, it embraces the ludicrous premise with tons of amusing profanities. With lots of self-awareness, this movie turns into a celebration of all things childish befitting of this day and age.

The jokes are highly laugh inducing, appropriate for young kids but not too young since they spout curses as much as usual teen drama's couple bump into each other and fall in love at first sight. Funny, brazen and slightly dirty, it's a rough ride of modern comedy. 8/10
  4. Apr 28, 2012
    I really liked this movie. It was very funny and over the top with some cringy moments. The only thing that let it down in some parts was that it was slightly over juvenile and blunt .
  5. Apr 26, 2012
    21 Jump Street is hilarious. I found it very entertaining but it's not really special for me, well it's offer many good laughs. Johny Depp's cameo was pretty unpredictable, and it has pretty cool music too. Miss high school?
  6. Apr 26, 2012
    It's a movie with some fun parts but i wouldn't encourage anyone to watch it. This movie would be good for younger age groups but older people like 20+ with a good taste for movies it wouldn't be a a good movie to watch and would rather be a waste of time.
  7. Apr 24, 2012
    Loved this movie! I consider myself to be somewhat of a snob when Im expecting to watch a serious movie. However, this doesnt mean I cant enjoy something I expect to be totally ridiculous and stupid. And I got what I came for in the best way ever! Hill/Tatum were a suprisingly dynamite comedic pair. Perfect for a date night! Great mix of stupidity and over the top gags that will have you laughing the whole ride back home. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2012
    One of the greatest comedies I've seen in a while. Great acting by Jonah and Channing, great supporting cast (Ice Cube, Johnny Depp, etc.), and very true to the TV show. Well done.
  9. Apr 19, 2012
    Never did like Channing Tatum or Jonah Hill but in this movie, their not bad. Jonah Hill was actually funny and Channing Tatum was actually acting. The storyline was somewhat close to the orginial TV show and even had the orginial guys do a cameo, which was really cool. The movie did have me at time laughing and feeling for the characters for it really spoke to me. So for that I would recommend all to go catch a matinee and have some fun! Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2012
    I'm not one for comedic movies, but I have to admit this one was pretty entertaining. This is new territory for Tatum and he clearly shines in the role, and Jonah Hill is as steady as always. It's over the top, loud, outrageous, and clever. My only complaint is the beginning of the film is somewhat dry; few laughs and not much going on. The remaining 80% lives up to the hype.
  11. Apr 12, 2012
    I haven't really laughed this much at a movie in a very long, but thanks to channing tatum and johnah hill this movie actually give some hope that 2012 will be a good year for movies, best comedy move in awhile
  12. Apr 10, 2012
    I went into this not expecting too much. A remake of an 80s series that isn't very well in todays world. I was shocked to find a gem of a movie. It's neo-humor about it being a remake and performances that really deliver much needed heart to the movie, will leave you happy with the finished product. Yes, it is not Shakespeare, but what you get is a fun 90-minute action-comedy in the vein of Rush Hour or Pineapple Express. Well worth a viewing. I am sure there was a lot of unused footage, that I look forward to viewing on an extended blu-ray release. Highly recommended. Expand
  13. Apr 9, 2012
    21 Jump Street is one of the funniest films I have seen for a long time. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is one of the strangest comedy double acts Iâ
  14. Apr 9, 2012
    A fantastically funny action-comedy! 21 Jump Street is without doubt the best comedy i've saw in a while. Granted, it's ridiculously over the top, but it's immensly entertaining and wonderfully witty and the pairing of Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill has proved to be a winning combination. I myself didn't see the original but the decision to reboot the tv show and bring it to the big screen was a brilliant one! The premise is simple enough two rookie cops (Tatum & Hill) are sent back to high school, undercover charged with the task of finding a new synthetic drug and locate the supplier. Ice Cube is awesome as their captain and seems a natural in the role but the bromance between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is terrific and they have a cracking chimstry to work of each other providing endless entertainment throughout as well as some hugely hilarious moments that are funny frequently throughout, the film also has the icing on the top with a cameo appearance from one Johnny Depp from the original. All in all i throuroughly enjoyed 21 Jump Street! It was a genuinely funny film that provided awesome entertainment and plenty of LOL moments. Comedy gold, dynamite movie! Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2012
    First off: quite hilarious, with a variety of jokes. A lot of self-aware references, with a good deal of potty humor, mixed in with mistaken identity/situational sitcom jokes make some humor for everyone. The action isnt anything special, and serves more as a plot device. The emotional situations are pretty shallow. If you want a pure comedy, this will be a 10.
  16. Apr 7, 2012
    This movie was a winner. The movie 'Super Bad' was a surprisingly funny flick and if you enjoy that genre then you will really enjoy this lighthearted humor. After dealing with stress at work all week this movie really worked for me. Casting was very strong and the timing was spot on!
  17. Apr 5, 2012
    Angels: This week I became a movie God-I saw 3 movies! And, the best of the lot was 21 Jump street. It was a very good comedy, up there with 'the hangover', 'horrible bosses', 'blades of glory' and 'white chicks' though not quite as good as say 'A Fish Called Wanda'. The plot was clever, and the characterization was first-rate. I am not a Jonah Hill fan, but he was funny, and as one of the writers, he may have more talent as a comic writer than as a comic actor. And young Channing Tatum. What can I say? I have seen him in a dance movie, an action movie, a romantic comedy, and now a comedy, and he has the physical appeal (he is a dreamboat) and the acting skill to shine in each category. It was also good to see Ice Cube who has more comedic acting talent than he is credited for. I only give this movie a 9 because of the plethora (abundance) of curse words. Now, I am not a prude. Growing up in a big city, i used 'industrial' language as much as the next person. However, sometimes bad language is a substitute for funny dialog. And occasionally that is what I though here. (That is why 'A Fish Called Wanda' is so good. Funny dialog with few curse words.) Anyway, 21 Jump Street is a very funny, very enjoyable movie.( My honey, who hates cursing, nevertheless really enjoyed the movie.)
    Angels: Watch over me.
  18. Apr 4, 2012
    I had a free ticket to the movie theater that was about to expire, so I decided to use it on 21 Jump Street. That decision turned out to be a great one. I really didn't know what to expect from 21 Jump street, and it appealed to me almost instantly. I have always enjoyed those bromance comedies like I Love you, Man and Role Models, so 21 Jump Street was a movie I expected to like, but I didn't know I would love it! I was really surprised how much I enjoyed the casting, especially Channing Tatum. This was a role that he usually doesn't take on, but he ended up doing exceptionally well. This movie was hilarious and very well made. Everybody needs to see this movie at some point in their lives. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2012
    Hilarious, but overrated. "21 Jump Street" got its charisma, but some of the jokes were undeniably overused and quite boring (not to mention the overplayed trailer). To say that "21 Jump Street" is the male version of "Bridesmaid" is disagreeable.

As much as I enjoyed the simple, yet hilarious story line, I couldn't help but the characters were quite mindless and their personalities
    changed throughout the film. However, Jonah Hill was spectacularly funny. I enjoy his talented performance in a nerdy role. While Tatum's recent hard work, who appeared in many movies lately, was not bad at all. Expand
  20. Apr 3, 2012
    First off, i was impressed with this movie. I didn't think this movie would be good when i first saw the trailer. Yeah it had its funny parts (in the trailer) but i truly felt like i watched the entire movie from the theatrical trailer. I was wrong. This movie was hilarious and it had a good plot to it as well. This is very unusual once it comes to comedies nowadays. Movies like Project X are just stupid because its alllll about teen partying, whereas in 21 jump street, you have multiple plots going on at once. This movie actually made you care about the characters which almost never happens in comedies today. 21 jump street had a very good story, very good acting by Channing Tatum (who i usually don't like at all) and from Jonah Hill who i think (excluding the sitter) has really stepped up his acting since his award worthy performance in Moneyball. This movie was of course, absolutely hilarious. Ice cubes character was small but memorable because he was just plain awesome. The film gets a bit cheesy with drama and such at some points but thats about the only flaw. This is the funniest movie of the year and one of the funniest in a very long time. I'll give 21 Jump Street an 8/10 Expand
  21. Apr 3, 2012
    Maybe im just too mature, or maybe just need to lower my standars when going to the movies, because this film did not make me laguh one bit. Like it was ok but in this day and age i just need to give up the fact that Hollywood is never going to produce a memorable comedy, or movie for tht matter. Too each their own I GUESS.
  22. Apr 3, 2012
    It was an ok movie it had a few funny points but not a lot. The plot was ridiculous, and the movies was filled with stupid cliches that weren't even funny. Do not recommend.
  23. Apr 3, 2012
    Every bit as entertaining as the previews, if not more. The only reason my score is not a 10 is because I had to suffer through Channing Tatum's horrendous acting. Jonah Hill did well in this movie because it's in his wheelhouse. This has to be one of the more successful comedies i have seen. Not to mention the easter egg was hilarious!
  24. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved this movie. It was a great comedy with great character development, and plenty of dirty sex jokes. I was actually quite surprised when I saw this. With most comedies, what they show in the trailer is the only funny parts of the movie. With this, I was laughing my butt off the whole way through. My only problem was the fact that it was a very predictable movie and the ending can be guessed correctly very early in the show. Highly recommend! Expand
  25. Apr 1, 2012
    Movie was OK. I found that it drags on at times and some of the jokes are pretty cheesy. But good acting all around. One thing I thought was kind of weird was how a guy 7 years out of high school would fall in love with a high school senior... yeah... But it's still a decent movie with plenty of laughs if you're looking for a way to spend the afternoon or evening.
  26. Apr 1, 2012
    So funny! I loved this! it wasn't one of those movies where the trailer was only funny. But this movie was hilarious the entire way through. it was stupid humour and I loved it!
  27. Mar 29, 2012
    Awful. We walked out after 45 minutes - That's how long we gave it the benefit of the doubt. What a waste of time and money. Jonah Hill is funnier than that (not to call 21 Jump Street funny at all), and Channing Tatum is....I dunno, a beefcake or whatever. What the **** is with all the green (critic AND user)? Don't tell me this passes for funny. For me it passed for Are We There Yet? It even had Ice Cube! Ice Cube is a thespian of the highest caliber and should be showered with statues. There, I said it. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2012
    As soon as the movie starts it a non-stop joy -ride. As soon as you see Jonah Hill dressed like Eminem (Rapper), you will laugh you head off. As soon as you see Tatum in long hair you will laugh even harder.
  29. Mar 28, 2012
    First things first, this may be hard to believe but Channing Tatum is actually genuinely good in this film. He shows an adeptness for comedy that many would not expect. Perhaps his performance is in part due to his role, as the dumb jock of the pair, being naturally made for him. On the flip side, Jonah Hill plays the intelligent nerd of the pair, again a natural persona, and also delivers a strong script consistently packed with gags. Although the film treads the familiar path of 80's buddy movies with a plot reminiscent of Bad Boys, it does so with a strong sense of self-parody mixed in to the hilarious gross-out humour. At no point is this clearer than when the police chief revives the defunct undercover programme and comments that nobody has any original ideas anymore so all that is left to do is lazily repeat previous work, a fun poke at the films 80's TV series origin of the same name and similar plot. The films final third drags on slightly, with a few drawn out action sequences displacing the fun for marginally too long but all things considered 21 Jump Street is a good value laugh out loud comedy. In one line, Superbad meets Bad Boys. Expand
  30. Mar 27, 2012
    I must say, I was skeptical at first, but now .. wow. I'm in love. Truly amazing. Just so very heart warming, especially the friendship between the two. I mean such a funny, lovely, sweet and action packed film. The very point of it all, the reason why I liked this movie as much as I did is that it's not your every day movie. It contains parts and aspects that you can't see ahead. Really different and interesting. I suggest you find time and see this unbelievable movie. Hope you like it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The devil-may-care attitude is what makes 21 Jump Street so entertaining.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Mar 18, 2012
    Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) seem to be after the gentle irreverence of David Gordon Green's buddy flick "Pineapple Express," but without his sensitivity and attention to character the movie quickly grows monotonous.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Mar 16, 2012
    With Hill on co-scripting duties with Scott Pilgrim scribe Michael Bacall, 21 Jump Street was always going to live or die by its gags. Fortunately, it boasts that sweet-yet-dirty comedy that Hill revels in.