5.8

1. Jul 31, 2014
    I'd like to start this review making a point that one would think is obvious. '27 Dresses' is a rom-com. It is the most typical rom-com you will find. Anyone who gave this a bad reviews obviously doesn't like rom-coms. It is filled to the brim with cliches and I imagine that most people can predict the entire plot of the film within the first twenty minutes. Despite this, I likeI'd like to start this review making a point that one would think is obvious. '27 Dresses' is a rom-com. It is the most typical rom-com you will find. Anyone who gave this a bad reviews obviously doesn't like rom-coms. It is filled to the brim with cliches and I imagine that most people can predict the entire plot of the film within the first twenty minutes. Despite this, I like romantic comedies. They are brainless, fun and pass the time. As they go, this is the perfect rom-com; it was well written, has an adorable ending and has two or three particularly funny gags. I'm not saying this film is amazing, because it's not; there are plenty of moments where there are no good jokes and it could easily be funnier with a better script. What I'm saying is that if a person likes chick-flicks/ rom-coms, they will almost certainly enjoy this film. Expand
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Katherine Heigl is great in this movie. It is a total chick flick with a dash of comedy. It's pretty light and fun and always good to watch with your gal pals. It is unique and different to any other chick flick I have seen, (which nowadays seems to be a challenge, they all mimic each other.) Liked it.
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    This is not a bad movie. However, it's not the best either. Chalk full of cliches, old-time metaphors, and the feeling that this sort of movie has been filmed before; it's not all bad. There is laugh to be heard here and there. It was disapointing.
  4. Zal
    Jan 11, 2012
    It was OK. I didn't like it much but I can't bring myself to hate it. I will say this: There is nothing new in this movie. Well, except for the fact that this is the first movie I've seen where James Marsden gets the girl in the end. That was it.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    Katherine Heigl gives a very impressive and funny performance, but sadly it is a romantic comedy and they usually fall for the basic formula and you know everything that is going to happen and it soon becomes boring. I give this movie 15%.
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    This has everything my wife loves - Ed Burns and weddings. That doesn't bother me - but being played all Thanksgiving weekend long - does. I've lost patience watching the bubblegum chickflix and shows I've experienced in our relationship. Sadly, she doesn't understand how or why I don't want to watch them with her.

As annoying as Heigl can be, she is good in this genre and plays the

As annoying as Heigl can be, she is good in this genre and plays the selfless, meek sister who finds her voice 17 minutes before the film ends perfectly. Malin Ackerman is the consolation for the men dragged to this film - but we all know we'd rather see her as the Silk Spectre.
  7. Aug 8, 2011
    Despite the cliche and ridiculous. But somehow it works for me. At least entertaining. Good chemistry from Katherine Heigl and James Marsden. It tell us, the world don't suck up, there's still something call love.
  8. Aug 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every once and awhile I will give into my wifeâ Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    very emotional, cry a lot, and katherine is great. it was predicted as all romantic movies, but it is unique, in dialogue and direction.
    I love it!
  10. magnesiumg
    Jan 27, 2009
    I watched this back to back with Enchanted on an airplane. Guess what? Enchanted, with the talking cartoons was actually the better movie. Strangely both featured an actor / actress from Grey's Anatomy. Apparently having left the safe confines of Seattle Grace, Katherine Heigl is neither as sweet nor as charming as she is on the show. I felt that her character wasn't innocent I watched this back to back with Enchanted on an airplane. Guess what? Enchanted, with the talking cartoons was actually the better movie. Strangely both featured an actor / actress from Grey's Anatomy. Apparently having left the safe confines of Seattle Grace, Katherine Heigl is neither as sweet nor as charming as she is on the show. I felt that her character wasn't innocent enough to warrant the sympathy, nor was she sarcastic enough to be funny. The ending was clever, but the rest of the plot was only middling at best. Watch only if your strapped onto a chair for a intercontinental flight, and all other options are exhausted. Expand
  11. Laurens
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's a cute enough movie to watch every now and then. It wasn't superb, it wasn't terrific, but it wasn't horrible. All in all, it is generally a movie with mixed emotions, but with cute scenes. It's good, but comedy is also limited.
  12. EcG.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Challenges "The Notebook" for all-time worst movie. The film equivalent of watching Britney Spears manager her life; which is to say, a train wreck. Like a burning accident, however, I watched it till the end.
  13. MorganF.
    Aug 2, 2008
    Predictable, but surprisingly funny. Used nearly cliche in the book. The end really made me mad though.
  14. SteveT.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Funny how all the crappy people gave it a 4 or less and all the real people did 6 and up. Let's you know just how 'hard' our world has become. We need more movies like this. Calm, sweet, comedic and warm. Predictable, yes....a sweet love story usually means someone will fall in love....but then again we all know what's going to happen in a slasher movie or a end of the Funny how all the crappy people gave it a 4 or less and all the real people did 6 and up. Let's you know just how 'hard' our world has become. We need more movies like this. Calm, sweet, comedic and warm. Predictable, yes....a sweet love story usually means someone will fall in love....but then again we all know what's going to happen in a slasher movie or a end of the world saga. Katherine ROCKS! Expand
  15. MegG
    May 17, 2008
    THE WORST movie ever. Katherine Heigl could not save this film. I watched this film without sound in an airplane and I could see how bad and predictable the film was. Not only was Heigl's character annoying, the actor who plays her best friend has played the best friend role so many times, she's literally unwatchable. I would not even recommend this film as a DVD film to watch, THE WORST movie ever. Katherine Heigl could not save this film. I watched this film without sound in an airplane and I could see how bad and predictable the film was. Not only was Heigl's character annoying, the actor who plays her best friend has played the best friend role so many times, she's literally unwatchable. I would not even recommend this film as a DVD film to watch, not even if it was on TV for free. Collapse
  16. CarolH.
    May 7, 2008
    Heigl is not believable as the lonely single girl pining away for her oblivious boss--she's way too attractive! Her monstrous sister suddenly turning into the model of common sense at the end completely turned me off and ruined what little ending there was. Can chick flicks not insult our intelligence???
  17. Phoebe
    May 7, 2008
    Light.
  18. JayH.
    Apr 16, 2008
    I enjoyed the film tremendously. The performances by Katherine Heigl and Judy Greer are wonderful. Funny, touching and very entertaining. Ok, it is predictable, but it works.
  19. MonoApe
    Apr 3, 2008
    Utterly predictable. Cringingly not funny. Uses every cliché known to lazy scriptwriters. I'm sure I came out more stupid than I went in.
  20. Kayleighms
    Mar 28, 2008
    With little imagination (think
  21. RachelF.
    Mar 15, 2008
    The movie was average, neither good nor bad. I enjoyed Katherine Heigl's acting. I predict that she will soon join other actresses such as Reese Witherspoon as America's Sweethearts. Although both Heigl and co-star James Marden were enjoyable, I felt that this movie was too predictable. Everything happened just as one would have suspected. Loved the stars, not so much the plotline.
  22. StefanD.
    Feb 25, 2008
    This was the perfect date movie for us. Her situation was was but the expressive acting (e.g. stuffing her mouth full of food, his facial expressions) were just what we needed. It was humorous and engaging with plot twists to boot. It also didn't have overflowing sexuality which was refreshing.
  23. MichaelM.
    Feb 19, 2008
    Cliche and passable at best. It's everything you would expect (or feared). A giggle or two can be found, but outside of that, hardly worth the price of admission.
  24. MarcS.
    Feb 19, 2008
    The first 10 minutes are funny, the rest of the two hours are just plain boring. I have never walked out of a movie, however, this one came really close. Save 10 bucks and watch another movie. Your date will be falling asleep before the movie ends.
  25. LuisG.
    Feb 18, 2008
    Heigl is for me the closest thing to Julia Roberts since Reese Witherspoon ala sweet home Alabama. Heigl makes an honest impression on you but unlike many other actresses shes not forgettable hope to her blossom with grace... Marsden is lone overdue for a leading role a shame his role was sort of bland.
  26. MSAL
    Feb 18, 2008
    My gf is a real romantic comedy buff and she even said it was lame. The movie is just too long for such a predictable plot, weird characters that don't belong, and slow to get to the point. Also, much less funnier than the trailer. Trust me , don't waste you cash, I did.
  27. JessicaR.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I loved this movie, predictable but a true funny, warm and adorable chick flick.
  28. RafiG.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Me and my wife saw it for valentines. Overall we really enjoyed the movie. Acting was decent and charming. There were some interesting characters. I found Jane's friend, Judy Greer, made the movie for me.
  29. StephanieC
    Feb 8, 2008
    I saw this with my friend, and we enjoyed it quite a lot. Yes, it's predictable because it is a romantic comedy. But let me say this, it was not as cheesy or stupid as it could have been. It felt semi-realistic. And more importantly, it made me laugh. Oh yea, and we were glad she ended up with the much cuter journalist.
  30. Judith
    Feb 5, 2008
    I thought it was tremendous fun.
  31. ClaireF
    Feb 4, 2008
    It's a romantic comedy, of course it's supposed to be formula! I went into the cinema fully expecting fluff and froth, and so I wasn't disappointed when I left it. Katherine Heigl was luminous and - although swallowing the idea of someone as beautiful and intelligent as her as a dowdy wallflower is almost impossible - almost believable. James Marsden's charm made his It's a romantic comedy, of course it's supposed to be formula! I went into the cinema fully expecting fluff and froth, and so I wasn't disappointed when I left it. Katherine Heigl was luminous and - although swallowing the idea of someone as beautiful and intelligent as her as a dowdy wallflower is almost impossible - almost believable. James Marsden's charm made his character likable despite everything. Despite the cliches, I still had a good time watching. Expand
  32. MeghanC.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Ok so I loved this movies so much. i got hooked in the begging and loved it. the sex content was a little bad but did not take away from the movie.
  33. SH.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Went to see it with my girlfriends. I laughed quite a bit. Predictable yes but much funnier than I anticipated. Well worth $8.50 was the general consensus of 6 thirtysomething former bridesmaids.
  34. JeffS.
    Jan 31, 2008
    A middle-of-the-road romantic comedy for me, though my wife enjoyed it considerably more. Acting wasn't bad, but the attempts at humor didn't resonate with me. Again, though, my wife (and a female friend) both found this movie quite funny. It was worth the time and money, but it's not near my favorite romantic comedy.
  35. TaylorC
    Jan 30, 2008
    My girlfriend decided she wanted to see this movie, and naturally I was brought along expecting to have to endure a couple hours of a trite, predictable movie. My initial impressions of the movie turned out to be correct (mainly the predictability), but I was surprised by the fact that I ended up somewhat enjoying the movie. Though my opinion of the movie is probably augmented due to the My girlfriend decided she wanted to see this movie, and naturally I was brought along expecting to have to endure a couple hours of a trite, predictable movie. My initial impressions of the movie turned out to be correct (mainly the predictability), but I was surprised by the fact that I ended up somewhat enjoying the movie. Though my opinion of the movie is probably augmented due to the fact that the last movie I saw before it was One Missed Call (ugh). Expand
  36. SharryT.
    Jan 28, 2008
    I thought this was a lot better than many romantic comedies. The acting was perfectly decent and the plot fair. Way better than the Wedding Crashers which got better reviews.
  37. AdrianL.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Of course it was predictable, it's a romantic comedy. It was one of the best written in the genre that I've seen in years.
  38. CW.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Follows a tried and true romantic comedy formula, but has enough realism and decent acting to keep it going. The audience seemed to laugh in all the right places, and everyone walked away with a smile. Can't ask much more than that these days.
  39. ChadS.
    Jan 20, 2008
    "27 Dresses", for one tantalizing moment, gets nasty, gets mean; it tampers with the romantic/comedy formula, and gets real. At a bridal shower, the sibling rivalry between both sisters reaches its apex when Jane(Katherine Heigl) humiliates Tess(Malin Akerman) with a vengeance that's cathartic for moviegoers who've sat through too many predictable romantic/comedies such as "27 "27 Dresses", for one tantalizing moment, gets nasty, gets mean; it tampers with the romantic/comedy formula, and gets real. At a bridal shower, the sibling rivalry between both sisters reaches its apex when Jane(Katherine Heigl) humiliates Tess(Malin Akerman) with a vengeance that's cathartic for moviegoers who've sat through too many predictable romantic/comedies such as "27 Dresses". If this movie about a perpetual bridesmaid had the conviction to aggravate Jane's festering wound rather than fix it up with a salve, "27 Dresses" would've been an unqualified artistic success, a triumph of art over commerce. But alas, Tess behaves contritely towards her big sis after their public implosion that's antithetical to her self-absorbed persona. "27 Dresses" bends, but doesn't break genre expectations. It's disappointing. It's dishonest. And the audience won't buy it. "27 Dresses" is a prime example of how focus groups can destroy the artistic integrity of a film. They say that a zebra doesn't change its stripes, except...in movies. Isn't liking the protagonist enough. Heigl is wonderful in her first star-vehicle? Do we have to like Tess, too? Expand
  40. DeniseG.
    Jan 16, 2008
    What a waste of time! Implausible plot, ridiculous dialogue, and not a single relationship that rings true. Knocked Up this ain't.

1. While Heigl is terrific, this uninspired romantic comedy is considerably less so.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Frothy, funny and formulaic, 27 Dresses is a pleasantly predictable romantic comedy that sees Katherine Heigl following “Knocked Up” with smooth moves at the wheel of her first starring vehicle.
    There's not a surprising moment in the movie yet it works in spite of the stale, insipid storyline. That has a lot to do with lead actress Katherine Heigl and a little to do with the glowing embers between her and her co-star, James Marsden.