5.7

1. Feb 21, 2014
    3 Days to Kill is the kind of "Taken"-like action movie-thriller that is implausible as hell but still manages to capture our attention and at the same time be entertaining.
  2. Feb 22, 2014
    Kevin Costner is making a comeback and he's just as hot as ever. This movie was action filled and fun to watch, that you ignore some of the unrealistic parts. Definitely worth the watch in the theater.
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    3 Days to Kill is by no means a bad movie - I'm surprised it's currently getting a red score from the critics. It's just a hair bloated for a McG / Besson film. If you're thinking about seeing the film because you're a huge Amber Heard fan, don't bother. She's probably in a grand total of 10 minutes of this film. It's all Costner (who is quite good) and Hailee Steinfeld (who is excellent as the rebellious teenager). It's almost as if they overlayed this assassin story on a family drama/comedy, though they're selling it as the opposite. You could see much worse this time of year, believe me. Expand
  4. Feb 24, 2014
    I just saw this movie, taking some care to check it out first. I have always like Kevin Costner films. I personally found the movie entertaining. Anyone who has had challenges in their own family will feel heartwarming connections in the movie. I gave it an eight, perhaps it is more like a 7.5. I certainly do not regret sitting for almost two hours. Hey…what's wrong with happy endings ?
  5. Mar 6, 2014
    With all the young hero types filling the tights of comic book characters, Hollywood has turned to middle-aged men to handle reality-based action. Kevin Costner plays a "cleaner" for the CIA, who retires so he can salvage his relationship with his daughter (Hailee Steinfeld). He's also got cancer with a 3-month death sentence, until an operative (Amber Heard in a succession of over-the-top glamour poses) promises a cure in exchange for one last job. Luc Besson penned the story, so it’s got interesting developments on the personal and action sides. Director McG has managed to balance both angles with warmth and some inventive fights. While it's in not way unique, it's passable entertainment and Costner manages to carry the burden effectively. Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2014
    While it is filled with plenty of secret agent/spy movie cliches, as well as an overly familiar father trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter story, there's enough entertaining action and humor here to make it worth a watch. It manages to stay entertaining throughout, and that's more than I can say about lot of other similar movies. So while Costner won't make you forget about Neeson anytime soon, he manages to keep the movie entertaining enough to make it worth a rental. It might not take the genre to any new heights, or reach a lot of the old ones, but it can be a fun watch. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    Stealing a discarded page from Liam Neeson’s action hero playbook, which began with 2008’s Taken and continues next week with the airplane thriller Non-Stop, Costner stars as a badass old dude kicking butt in 3 Days to Kill. It wouldn’t be so bad if Costner didn’t take the material so seriously. He scowls and grimaces in many of the scenes he’s in. And I’ll admit there are brief flashes that remind us how good he was once upon a time in The Untouchables, Dances with Wolves, A Perfect World and The Bodyguard. Expand
  8. May 8, 2014
    Just saw the movie, I loved it. I thought its going to be another Liam Neeson type movie but it wasnt. The plot was flawlessly mixed with family drama, this is great entertainment.
  9. Mar 2, 2014
    I wasn't really a fan of this movie. When I first heard of it I thought I would really enjoy it but upon reading the story line of it I thought it was stupid and pointless
  10. Jun 22, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised with this flick. I expected complete awfulness, but what I got was satisfying enough for me to give 3 Days to Kill this score. It's extremely far from perfect, but it has elements I loved that I will talk about in the review. When you first see this movie at the RedBox (which is where I got it), you probably will think it's an action movie. That would be wrong. While it does have scenes of action, at the core of the movie, it is a drama that deals with family, getting the job done, and other subjects like that. I'm glad that it was a drama because the action didn't impress me much except for the first scene. The character development in the drama is extremely good, and while the acting isn't extraordinary, I really liked Ethan's (Kevin Costner) daughter as an actress. You will care about the characters, too. There are mainly 2 plot points in the film, one for the action, and one for the drama. The action one has to do with him pretty much just trying to kill or torture these men he has to hunt down. It was generic. The drama one was refreshing for this genre, though. It has to do with him becoming a dad again and regaining the love from his daughter. Everything in this film is nothing groundbreaking or extremely ambitious. For what it was though, I really enjoyed it, and the drama in it is worth a watch indeed. Expand
  11. Jun 24, 2014
    This film has quite an unusual mix of action, violence, comedy and schmaltz. Its not great but I found it entertaining and it held my interest for the entire time. Its a film that doesn't take itself seriously and has some funny moments. Its a different twist on the usual action movies and I liked it for being a bit different to the norm.
  12. Feb 24, 2014
    I don't know what's good for Luc Besson, even though Kevin Costner might've saved his comeback for another Oscar run. But it seems to me like he wants to take a page out of Liam Neeson's "Taken" scoresheet on becoming the bad ass that he is today. 3 Days to Kill is like Blown Away ripped off by Die Hard as to joining a member of the AARP special agents club. The acting is great, but the story is boring and not enough gas in the tank for McG (you know, the guy 5 years ago killed the Terminator series into oblivion in Salvation) and Besson to copy what's left of "Taken." But on the good side, the action scenes were pretty good. So I'm not so sure about this film, but I'll have to wait for "Non-Stop" instead. Rent "3 Days To Kill." Expand
  13. Feb 28, 2014
    A slightly different twist on "a veteran agent goes on a killing spree in Europe" plot, 3 Days to Kill is incredibly predictable and not without cheesy plot in every turn. Kevin Costner is a retired terminally-ill agent recruited back as a black ops assassin, by a seductive spy lady no less, to kill elusive marks in exchange for a magical drug that might or might not save his life. Here lies the biggest problem, while it may be true he's desperate enough to resort to the extremes, note that a dying man is no way in shape or form qualified to hunt down an international fugitive, because he's dying.

Assuming that throwing resources as leverage to motivate a retired agent is a good idea, the movie also introduces its heavily glamorized femme fatale, complete with fantasy setting from 80's pulp spy flick. This alpha female, played by Amber Heard, is always shrouded in sensual mystery, equipped with capable aptitude that ultimately begs the question whether she doesn't do the deed herself in the first place. It looks odd as she appears out of nowhere just in the right time like James Bond's fairy godmother only to quip or taunt.

Aside from its awkward secret operative angle, the movie mostly focuses on family value. Luc Besson's style is clearly present, as in Taken. It's commendable that it tries to involve the characters in modest way, and to some degree it works decently, but it's hampering the sense of desperation its title describes, or misleads. Some of the scenes are pretty much a father, on his last remaining times, attempting to bond with his estranged daughter. It has some good moments and the acting is not bad, but it utilizes many corny scenarios that the relationship doesn't feel fully realized.

Editing possesses some problems too. In many scenes, the transition is too fast, thus somewhat resulting in fragmented progression. This works better in some instances, especially action sequences, but it needs more finesse to weave through each act smoother. Sound effect is a silly rendition of Inception inspired music or recent movie trailers excessive hum. It plays this throb noise like in dubstep music for everything that happens. It's not just an annoying repetitive echo; it also produces more comical effect in some cases.

Comedy is hackneyed at most, although it brings chuckle sometimes. The movie resorts to some corny situations in attempt for mild humor or heartwarming scenes, only a couple of them succeed in doing either. Technical aspect of action is presentable. While it doesn't rise to large scale explosion or fluid cinematography, it functions in its intended purpose. Some short bursts of clever camera angle or surprisingly gritty scenes prove to be effective. If only they were translated to the whole movie, it could've been much better.

Tidbits of good parts can't elevate the entirety of the humdrum movie. It's ironic that the title is an analogy for wasting time, because that's exactly what this movie does.
  14. Jun 29, 2014
    3 Days To Kill was promoted in a very misleading way. The previews, the description, even the cover of the DVD make it sound like an exciting thriller. They even manipulated the name of the film, to make it seem like one thing, when it really meant another. The story centers around Ethan Renner, (Kevin Costner) a man who has spent his entire life killing people for the CIA. Renner has found that he only has a short time to live and wants to spend his remaining time with the family he's largely abandoned. His retirement is short lived however, as his old bosses at the CIA promise to help with his medical care if he'll do one last job, a job he doesn't want his family to know about. 3 Days To Kill was made to look like the dying agent had 3 Days To Kill his target, but that's not true at all. The title refers to him spending 3 days with the daughter he hasn't seen in 10 years. Like everyone else, I was fooled by the films promotion and decided to see it, even though Kevin Costner stars. I forgot the fact that Costner hasn't made a decent film in about fifteen years, and assumed that 3 Days To Kill would lead him away from romantic films and be a return to what made him a star, but it wasn't. The action and intensity of a CIA thriller is a back story, to a film about a dying man reconnecting with his family. It wasn't as boring or depressing as a full on drama, following a similar storyline, but it wasn't far off. Much of the hunt for his target was used as comedy to break up the monotony of watching Renner teaching his daughter to dance and ride a bicycle. To be honest, the film really is just a whole mix of things, none of which work. The cast is dreadful, the story is all over the place, and the film is just ridiculous. 3 Days To Kill was a horrible experience, and not only did I hate this film, I feel like I was tricked into watching it, by some clever marketing people, who knew the film was **** You can decide for yourself, but if you could use an extra two hours to do something you've been putting off, I'd skip this movie and get it done. Expand
  15. May 10, 2014
    Borrow heavily from Taken and while Costner and his fellow talented cast members try their hardest to deal with the terrible dialogue and generic plot, They just can't over come that hump. The needlessly long run time, 2 hours, puts a damper on things and they focus far more on needless sub-plots than they do the action scenes, Which are actually quite good.

I think with a better plot
    to it, A bit more originality, 3 Days To Kill easily could have been the start of another Taken like series but sadly that is not the case. It's not that it's a bad movie, It's the fact that it wastes so much potential that is the real disappointment. Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2014
    This was the latest action-crime movie from the director of 'This Means War'. It was more like a French thriller and should have been a French movie as well, but Hollywood borrowed it from a famous French filmmaker. This cast and crew team was great so expectation will be there like always. In this 2 hour movie everyone did not get fair screen presence except Kevin Costner. It was not long ago I saw the little girl in the movie 'True Grit', now she has all grown up here. Good to see her, hope the future will shape up well for her.

It was the story of a top US secret agent who comes to know that his life is not going to wait for anyone any longer. He decides to spend his rest of the life with his closest ones. But the past follows him and urges his requirement in the field to eliminate the bad guys. In exchange, they offer something life changer. Now at a time he has to cope with his family as well the duty assigned to him. The rest of the story tells how he manages all the difficulties.

They have tried too much ingredients and stirred in a one movie. That did not clinch well all together. In fact, multiple plot with each stream of the story had different genres that terribly ruined the movie's standardness. The pace was the issue here, it was not constant. When the action sequences begin it flows at a rapid speed, then it comes back to the normal that did not convince followed by the darkly humorous in parts. This is a time pass movie and expecting from it is like a foolish. You would accomplish watching it, in the end most of you won't be happy for what you had seen and probably decide to put into an average list.
  17. May 24, 2014
    There is no question that Kevin Costner is back, but unfortunately McG's still the same. Costner does his best to make this movie work and if it wasn't for a script and a director that gets in his way he might have just pulled it off. C
  18. Aug 1, 2014
    I think many critics failed to recognize that this film was intentionally camp. This was a highly enjoyable film if you do not take it too seriously.
  19. May 26, 2014
    So 3 Days to Kill was a complete waste of 2 hours, i wouldn't even call this a action movie because the little action there is beyond bland and generic as hell. Plus the fact that over half of the film is Kevin Costner dealing with trying to rebuild a relationship with his family which was really annoying. I would say that it overshadows the action side of the story but see thats the thing the whole thing, the action part was so horribly underwritten that i consider this a drama more then anything else. Also the film is cliche after cliche with the whole father daughter aspect, like he teaches her how to ride a bike, teaches her how to dance, trying to be nice to her boyfriend, saves her from being molested by a bunch of dudes just your typical father/daughter crap. I was thinking maybe Costner could make a comeback with this movie but sadly not, i really like the guy but he has been making crap movies as of late. Amber Heard was the best part of the movie and see wasn't in it all that much anyways she looked absolutely gorgeous, Hailee Steinfeld was "Meh" unfortunately. McG has made several movies the only two worth watching are We Are Marshall and Terminator Salvation and those and those two are just average movies.

Overall i give it a 4.0
  20. Feb 23, 2014
    It's time to once again slam director McG. 3 DAYS TO A KILL has a witty script, game cast, and fun locales, all undermined by tepid and incoherent direction. Everything is wrong and it is the director's fault. At least let's cut out 20 minutes. That would make for a mildly satisfying B-movie.
  21. May 8, 2014
    The family drama and action doesn't blend well at all, but 3 Days to Kill soars due to Kevin Conster's fantastic performance and the level of entertainment it provides however implausible it is.
  22. Feb 23, 2014
    A boring, and cliched poor man's version of Taken, only with no cool action, a non-sensical plot, and Kevin Costner instead of Liam Nesson, and directed by McG the director of Charlie's Angels, and the man who killed the Terminator franchise with the god-awful Terminator Salvation, with nothing good to offer this should be avoided.
  23. May 26, 2014
    while the action scenes are very fun to watch and kevin Costner gives a good performance as a bad ass ..3 days to kill is sure a messy movie that's keeps you entertain throughout the movie even when its far from perfect.
  24. Jun 30, 2014
    Overall, this really is not all that bad a movie. There are plenty of flaws and I hated the main CIA leader who was largely a joke. There are many good elements as well. Basically, this film is worth $1.25 at Redbox or a boring evening watch on cable.
  25. Feb 23, 2014
    In this heart pounding action-thriller, Kevin Costner is a dangerous international spy, who is determined to give up his high stakes life to finally build a closer relationship with his estranged wife and daughter, whom he's previously kept at arm's length to keep out of danger. But first, he must complete one last mission- even if it means juggling the two toughest assignments yet: hunting down the world's most ruthless terrorist and looking after his teenage daughter for the first time in ten years, while his wife is out of town. (c) Relativity Expand
  26. May 27, 2014
    Two things you don’t want in an action/drama/thriller are absurdity and mundanity. Unfortunately, 3 Days to Kill has plenty of both, and both rear their crazy, boring heads during the opening gambit.
  27. May 20, 2014
    This movie could have easily been called, "two hours to kill". Because it was a complete waste of time. Even as a long time Kevin Costner fan the only thing that kept me watching this movie was to see if it could get any worse. Absolutely his worst movie, this is the kind of movie that ends careers. All I can say is I hope he got paid lots of money for this want to be action thriller. If I could given this movie a negative rating I would. If the airline was playing this movie on the plane I'd jump out.

For anyone who gave this movie a positive rating would be like some boxing matches where the fight is completely one sided, and you have this one judge who calls the fight the 115-114 and everyone is like, "what fight was he watching???" The folks who gave this movie a positive rating must have been watching another movie, or if they were lucky they feel asleep after the first ten minutes.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Jun 17, 2014
    Psychologists would doubtless have a field day with the film’s lumpy brew of semi-incestuous paternal angst, midlife machismo, all-American dick-swinging and moderate racism, but we imagine most of them are too busy to waste two hours on this sludge.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Davis
    Feb 26, 2014
    The central conceit in 3 Days to Kill – the family man moonlighting as a gun-for-hire – is hardly a fresh one. It worked in films released 10 or 20 years ago (see True Lies or Mr. and Mrs. Smith), but here it feels played out, clichéd.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Nicholson
    Feb 25, 2014
    Of course, the movie doesn't work. But Costner does. No matter now nonsensical and uneven 3 Days to Kill gets, he's miraculously consistent.