7.9

1. Sep 13, 2014
    (500) Days of Summer is a very unique movie. It is funny and awe-inspiring, you can't say it is a romance movie because it is actually not, but a story of two friends that are in and out of love.
  2. Aug 25, 2014
    (500) Days of Summer may dive into a year and a half relationship between a boy and a girl--however, this is not a love story. This film is the story of finding yourself through others along the way. Michael H. Weber and Scott Neustadter kick off their screenwriting partnership in a great way. And bravo to Zooey Deschanel!
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    Its one of the best movies I have seen in sometime. The character Tom resembled a lot like me and the character Summer resembled exactly like my Ex. I just love this movie.
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    500 Days Of Summer is a very intelligent romantic comedy-drama that has its own art. Unlike most romantic comedies it ends and starts in a unique and wise way, also nice acting from Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
  5. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the title, I thought it’s a story about a guy spending time with a girl for 500 days, which felt Summer to him. I am somehow correct after watching the movie. It is about a guy spending time with a girl named Summer for 500 days.

The movie had an amazing cinematography, editing and direction. It was brilliantly visualized and it had its eye candy moments.

The chemistry between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel is excellent. The characters they played, Tom and Summer made them feel like they’re a real couple without making them a rom-com couple.

The script from the brilliant screenwriters of The Fault in Our Stars and The Spectacular Now is really great and hence, why the visual art and the direction in this movie is amazing.

The plot and the concept is very clever and I could relate to it verywell. I relate to Tom so badly based on my own experience with a crush that I am no longer speaking terms with. And the plot twist where Summer is now married felt like a knife stabbed into my heart. I felt really bad for Tom and I see himself there as well.

The humor is the highlight of this movie and the comedic timing in this perfect for a movie like this.

Overall, I would love to see this movie again and again because it had the feels and the light-heartening moments with brillaint script, clever plot and amazing chemistry between the movie’s stars.
  6. May 5, 2014
    5oo Days of Summer is an absolutely fantastic tale of a relationship gone wrong. The performances are excellent and the script is pretty much spot on. We've probably all been through the hell that Tom experiences in this movie. The only downside; that annoyingly cliched little sister.
  7. Apr 30, 2014
    Controversial to usual romantic comedies, 500 Days of Summer is a very honest movie. It tells us right from the start that it's not a love story. Its originality and the actors' performances constructs all of its charm.
  8. Apr 4, 2014
    A refreshing Summer breeze

Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as Tom; an Architect who writes greeting cards for a living. And Zooey Deschanel as Summer, an average girl who doesn't believe in love. (500) Days of Summer directed by Marc Webb, Provides a refreshing experience to an audience that's over saturated with romantic comedies. Where most follow the same general plot line of, for
    example Friends with Benefits directed by Will Gluck, of boy meets girl (or the other way around) they fall in love, there love is tested but ultimately wins in the end. (500) Days of Summer in fact does follow this plot format but it differs in two key different ways. It tells the ending upfront, which is they don't end up together, and acknowledges that the rest is predicable. So what the movie does is, it delivers the story non-linearly, which makes the story feel fresh even though its one that we have seen a dozen times.

An important thing to note is that the goal of the movie is not to show a story about people falling in love and getting married. Its to capture what its like to have had a relationship, from the “holy **** moment to the inevitable “your still my best friend”. (500) Days of Summer, gives its audience a new experience by highlighting the range of emotions felt through the course of a relationship. Not the “movie fairy tale” we have all come to expect too see, and struggle to relate too. Its a must watch for anyone in the mood for something that shows its audience something new, but still feels familiar to everyone.
  9. Sep 23, 2013
    It had its moments. I could not shake off the feeling that it could have been much better, but just missed it somehow. There were quite a few laughs. But it failed miserably to make me care about any of the characters. And frankly, I'm sick and tired of the haphazard storytelling. If there is any substance in a script, it would work just fine even with a linear narrative.
  10. Sep 17, 2013
    This movie is unique and not like any other love story, which gives it a diversity and a different sort of recognition within the film community, highly recommended
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    I loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way that leaves you thinking "do I really like this girl or is she the devil incarnate?" Expand
  12. Aug 12, 2013
    Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the lovely Zooey Deschanel (500) Days of Summer manages to breath fresh life into the cliched romantic comedy genre. Told in non-chronological order each scene begins on a different day of the relationship. Jumping from their happiest moments to times of despair makes for a fascinating watch despite the fact that we learn right from the start of the film how things will eventually turn out.

Unusually told from the male leads perspective (500) Days of Summer also maintains a healthy sense of humour throughout, even during some of the movies darker moments, and this largely prevents it from becoming over sentimental in the way other romantic movies have been prone to do. It is all too easy to dismiss this type of movie out of hand but this is certainly offers something just a little bit different.
  13. Jul 21, 2013
    Whenever I see a romantic drama, I always feel overwhelmed by the cheesy atmosphere that exists between loves ones. I doubted a long time about seeing "(500) Days of Summer", and as a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, I decided to watch it, and I don't regret a single thing. Just like in "50/50", Gordon-Levitt manages to hit the emotional strings every single time, because he mirrors his character so very well. Although "50/50" left me with tears of joy, "(500) Days of Summer" left me with a bright smile on my face. The movie is funny, heartwarming, touching and emotional throughout, but especially the last few moments completely wrapped my heart in a cocoon of happiness and hope. Expand
  14. Jul 10, 2013
    Charming movie and our two leads, Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are more than capable of holding things together and why they continue to be among my favorite young actors years after seeing this (did see it when it came out in 2009). It's not the usual romantic comedy as there's nothing dumb about it. Yes, you do get a happy ending, but not the one you'd expect. Highly recommend.
  15. Jul 5, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I did like the film, but it seemed to me like it was trying too hard to be "indie and cool". It felt like a Hi-Fidelity wannabe (mentioning all the indie cool bands, and adding some great ones to the soundtrack) without actually getting there.
    The fact that I found Summer extremely annoying and self-centered didn't help either.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one to look out
    for in the future he was excellent in this film. He made you sympathise with the plight of his character.
    I especially enjoyed the way the film was directed the way it jumped from past to present and back again. It was a good romantic comedy and yet it left me with a feeling that it was lacking a certain something which would have made it suburb.
  16. Jul 3, 2013
    Lovely bitter-sweet comedy about Tom, a guy who believes in love at first sight and Summer who apparently does not. The plot and characters are believable, and the movie is edited in a clever way. We follow some of the most important moments of the Tom/Summer relationship (and break-up) in a non-linear sequence, which for once improves the story.

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with
    quirky scenes (the black & white "movie" Tom watches after the break-up; the dance scene and scored with brilliant music.

Romantic comedies are hardly ever this good and watchable. It does not hurt that Tom and Summer are played by actors likable and good looking, but in an ordinary way more than in a Hollywood superstar way.
    It is funny to note that some male reviewers hated the Summer character, describing her as a "tease" often using more impolite words. In fact, Summer is honest and straightforward. She is adamant with Tom about not wanting a serious relation and Tom accepts this condition. Unfortunately, when it comes to feelings, how can you really assure anybody that you will not fall madly in love?

That is Summer's mistake: expecting Tom to accept a carefree relationship, when nobody can really foresee how deeply they will love somebody else. But can she be called a tease for that? Tom, harbouring his notion of the "perfect match" is living in an illusion of his own making. He gets obsessed about the fact that Summer is that perfect match and blames her for not living up to his expectations.

In fact, Summer herself falls into the love trap, showing that even the best intentions can crumble down unexpectedly and the girl who did not want a serious relationship ends up married. That is what real life is about, illogical and vastly unforeseeable.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    A lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer just haven't met her yet. This is very much a "For Emma Forever Ago" as a movie. Love love love it. Expand
  18. Jun 8, 2013
    I love this film so much. The way it looks at how different people feel in the same relationship. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel show great on screen chemistry.
  19. Feb 22, 2013
    Amazing film!, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are so good in this. Both are excellent actors.
    The film is a romantic comedy about the relationship of a girl who doesn't believe in true love while JGL's character does and wants something more from her. With the story unfolds as he retells their times together.
  20. Feb 17, 2013
    A well written, well directed and well performed film. Even though the film didn't always click it still captured something spectacular between the two main characters. A movie that is funny, touching, and very honest.
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    “(500) Days of Summer” is a simple story about destiny and true love. However, this little romantic-comedy takes it a little further. It becomes a more real and honest story about taking chances and moving on with life. One relationship isn’t the end all be all. The film manages to be simple while having a complex script. It tackles the ups and downs, the glorification of certain moments in a relationship, and its aftermath.

The film is quit complex, but the humor is funny with the right amount of quirkiness. Director Marc Webb manages to balance everything from the humor to the heart break with great subtlety. It is a very grounded film, but the direction takes everything to a more wonderful place. The way the story jumps back and forth between time periods is handled well. I really enjoy the original shots the movie has, especially the reality vs. expectation one. The script is incredibly smart. There are so many great laughs placed throughout the film, but nothing becomes over the top and unnatural. I really enjoy this film for it’s quirkiness and incredibly smart writing.

The actors do a fine job in their roles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings a lot of subtlety and warmth to his character. He’s incredibly likable and we root for him till the very end. He’s dorky, but relateable. Zooey Deschanel is the every girl. She’s quirky, fun, and almost perfect in every way. However, she’s hard and blunt. When she does something wrong, it’s hard for the audience to be upset with her for too long because she manages to be so sweet. From the main characters to the side characters, the cast gives true and honest performances.

Overall “(500) Days of Summer” is a genuinely great film. It’s touching, cheesy, funny, and oh so very creative in its execution. There are some really nice moments and the script is inventive. The main cast only brings more delight on screen. The film has a great soundtrack that only elevates every sequence. Marc Webb’s direction brings everything together in a quirky, fun, and enjoyable way that feels refreshing. Couple everything with a dance number and you got yourself a real winner. I give it 4.5/5, honest and fun story telling at its finest.

“Fetch Status”
  22. Feb 4, 2013
    This movie is completely infectious. It will have you laughing and loving the characters in a matter of seconds. Most certainly one of the much more original and better romantic comedies out there.
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are building the relationship you hope will last forever watch this movie at least twice. Girls? Don
  24. Nov 28, 2012
    An irresistibly charming, brilliantly uncommon romantic drama featuring two truly great lead performances layered on top of some really intriguing lead characters.
  25. Nov 8, 2012
    One of the best, most original movies of the year.
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    A consistently amiable tale about love and break-ups. Untypical for its genre but ironically the movie does everything right nevertheless. Lovely for couples, singles and recently abandoned ones. Worth watching!
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    Loved this film! Acting was excellent and the storyline was lovely, there was also an excellent pun at the end of the film! Perfect for when your feeling down or if you want a good giggle with friends!
  28. Jul 31, 2012
    One of the smartest, funniest, and heartfelt movies I've ever seen. Marc Webb's direction always feels creative but never gimmicky. (500) Days of Summer is one of the most relatable and emotionally resonant movies I've seen, and one of my all-time favorites.
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    Despite the film's best intentions, I didn't think this had potential to reflect on the idea of what love is when it ended. The contrast of blue skies and dark clouds ended in a blurry mess. The film was a little light for my liking, preferring to not explain the circumstances surrounding what was actually going on between the two main characters. I like both of the actors, but their cute looks gave me more a sense of confusion between seriousness and cheerfulness. Was it supposed to be this confusing, or does this genuinely try and portray complications within a relationship, if you could call what they were going through a relationship? I felt it was quite an arty interpretation, though, with plenty of light-hearted humour. But never ever could this assume that it was trying to preach a message about love, because it wasn't. Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2012
    One of those films where you genuinely care about the characters. In a day when most rom-coms are cheap and manipulative 500 days of summer deals with big themes and executes it perfectly with it's flawless ending.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.