8.0

1. GK
    Aug 6, 2009
    Quick and funny Smart and real. Nicely made with great cast and music. A wonderful movie.
  2. JulienT
    Oct 22, 2009
    If you don't feel in love and hopeful again after seeing this movie, then you have a heart of stone.
  3. PeteB
    Jan 26, 2010
    Brilliant film - cringeworthy in parts (for a man who had his heartbroken in similar fashion), ecstatic in parts (for a man who too has tried to impress women by drunkenly singing indie classics) and with a fantastic soundtrack throughout. The 2 leads are captivating & enigmatic throughout.
  4. RobergS
    Feb 2, 2010
    Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Tom was lead blindly and he paid the price. She really was a dream. Expand
  5. BillyS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    I Loved this movie! It's smart, funny, touching and bittersweet in ways I haven't seen in a movie since Annie Hall, and what Diane Keaton was to that classic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is to 500 Days. An astonishing performance that carries the film to another level. This is the kind of movie the Academy expanded it's Best Picture category for - a small independent miracle!
  6. jeffh
    Aug 1, 2009
    What a wonderful movie.It is real,funny and emotional-everyting a romantic comedy should be.Both leads are very talented and the non-sequential storytelling leaves you guessing.
  7. RebeccaW
    Aug 9, 2009
    It was real. That is all.
  8. Jun 6, 2012
    D'emblée, on pourrait s'attendre, comme tout film romantique américain, à une guimauve hollywoodienne. Et la couleur se montre bien différente dès la note du réalisateur (affichée avant le début du film). Dès lors, on sait que l'on assiste à uneD'emblée, on pourrait s'attendre, comme tout film romantique américain, à une guimauve hollywoodienne. Et la couleur se montre bien différente dès la note du réalisateur (affichée avant le début du film). Dès lors, on sait que l'on assiste à une comédie romantique fantaisiste. Oui, c'est bien le mot qui convient ! On n'échappe pas aux inévitables moments tristes, mais (500) jours ensemble esquive tous les clichés du genre, grâce à sa construction en "puzzle" (on passe de la journée 350 à la 1 puis on revient à la 180 puis à la 3...) étonnamment cohérente (servant à des comparaisons sur la situation du couple) et qui donne un côté comique bienvenu, son scénario (rien ne se passe comme on pourrait le deviner dans un autre film du genre). Et que dire des acteurs, en tout cas le couple vedette (Joseph Gordon-Levitt- Zooey Deschanel), à part qu'ils sont naturels, décontractés et talentueux? Non, franchement, (500) jours ensemble est une bien belle petite surprise qui se regarde avec délice. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    Wonderful. Real. Funny, Creative. New. Terrific performances. Unique. This film was one of the most pleasant surprises I've seen in years. The leads are wonderful and the direction is well-paced. Here's hoping for more big-screen work from all involved.
  10. Jan 15, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is an original, hilarious, sweet, charming romantic comedy that isn't cliche at all and benefits from the fantastic and charming performances from Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gorden- Levit. I give this film 98%.
  11. NilesH
    Jan 22, 2010
    Loved everything about this film.
  12. ShaunQ
    Jan 30, 2010
    It's a travesty that this movie has a lower score on metacritic than District 9. You won't be disappointed by seeing it.
  13. SamY.
    Apr 5, 2010
    Finally a romantic comedy that isn't corny and can relate to everyone. Plus a brilliant screenplay and brilliant acting. I gave it a 9 because it felt too "hipster" to relate to audiences, I mean Zooey Deschanel as Summer Fin? That's a little typecasting...
  14. JillS.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Awesome movie,my favourite of all time.Better than Avatar!(In my opinion).
  15. CanaanB
    Jan 14, 2010
    I cannot speak highly enough about this film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a brilliant lead, and the way in which this 'love' story plays out is quite refreshing. It's also genuinely funny at times. The rom-com for those that would typically stay miles away.
  16. Feb 23, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is misnamed as a romantic comedy, because is neither romantic or comedy, although is treats the development of love in a couple, contrasting and comparing the woman with the man; it is so depressing, that at times is no longer enjoyable. As to the comedy; this picture is more about drama, which means that the goal is to make the viewer identify with the situation.
    As
    As this is not a happy ending story, the movie tries to show how foolish we become when being blindly in love; in other words this film makes a satire of love. According to the picture a person in this situation will forgive everything, will remember all the happy moments but not the sad ones and wont listen any warning.
    The ending is remarkable because both lovers end up believing what the other thought about life in the beginning of the relationship; Tom stopped believing in destiny, happy endings and fairy tale stories; and Summer stopped believing in coincidences, a existence without love and with no possibility of dreaming.
    500 Days of Summer has an interesting plot, script and performances, but I think that the one of Zooey Deschanel is more suitable for the movie than the one of Joseph Gordon Levitt. Up next is autumn.
  17. JohnL.
    Sep 8, 2009
    The movie was dead on.
  18. ConnorB.
    Oct 13, 2009
    The best romantic comedy I've seen in years and an excellent directorial debut from Marc Webb. Deschanel is one of my favourite actresses and she really shines in this heart-warming film. The soundtrack was also stunning, and some of the more innovatively filmed scenes really impressed me. Ten out of ten.
  19. JanS
    Nov 7, 2009
    Best film I've seen in years. The film is crushing and hopeful at the same time.
  20. DanaM
    Sep 20, 2009
    Worth the $10 I paid to see the movie. Wife enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Go see it and don't listen to the Bozos who give a movie a *0*. These folks have no credility. A zero? No movie deserves a Zero.
  21. JohnK.
    Nov 26, 2009
    This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great script, cast, and soundtrack, so give it a chance! Expand
  22. Aug 12, 2010
    Fun movie that doesn't end the way every romantic comedy ends, which makes it all the more enjoyable. I really enjoy Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this, he does quite a good job.
  23. Apr 21, 2012
    I loved this movie. I think everyone could relate to the story. I loved the spontaneity of the characters. I liked the part when Summer was sitting on the bench. I liked the conversations between Summer and Tom. I liked most of the lines. I just want to say that the writers of this movie were amazing.
  24. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are building the relationship you hope will last forever watch this movie at least twice. Girls? Don
  25. AlexO.
    Sep 22, 2009
    (500) Days of Summer is pretty much what you'd get if K-TEL International made romantic comedies for hipsters. The film has a few nice visuals, but script and characters are contrived, generic and affected. The film has absolutely no spark. While watching, I was reminded of those annoying groups of people that one sometimes finds in restaurants or record stores, the ones who talk (500) Days of Summer is pretty much what you'd get if K-TEL International made romantic comedies for hipsters. The film has a few nice visuals, but script and characters are contrived, generic and affected. The film has absolutely no spark. While watching, I was reminded of those annoying groups of people that one sometimes finds in restaurants or record stores, the ones who talk extra loud so that everyone in the place can be entertained by their clever banter and sarcastic wit. Instead, they only come off as irritatingly arrogant asses. (500) Days of Summer's emphatic attempts at cleverness have exactly the same effect. Expand
  26. AdamC.
    Aug 3, 2009
    I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I cannot recommend this film simply because the female lead is completely unlikeable. Zooey Deschanel plays an absorbed woman who toys with a guy's emotions as if she is a maestro conducting a symphony. The ending of the movie does not resolve the bitter taste that her character leaves behind. Honestly, I wanted a bus to run her over, gently, of course.
  27. CindyC
    Nov 4, 2009
    Over-rated. Shallow game-playing female meets insecure depressed male and victimization occurs. The leads are supposedly charming but quickly become tedious. My own love life is depressing enough without wasting 2 hours watching this film.
  28. NateJ.
    Aug 8, 2009
    This movie has some poignant moments that kept me interested, but overall the script and execution is disappointing. The only way it could be considered "original" is if you are comparing it to saccharine, assembly line rom-coms. Almost everything in this movie you've already seen. The quirkiness is forced, the soundtrack is overactive, and the ending predictable. The acting This movie has some poignant moments that kept me interested, but overall the script and execution is disappointing. The only way it could be considered "original" is if you are comparing it to saccharine, assembly line rom-coms. Almost everything in this movie you've already seen. The quirkiness is forced, the soundtrack is overactive, and the ending predictable. The acting isn't bad, but Zooey is stuck playing a rather unlikeable and two-dimensional character. Overall, not worth seeing in the theater. Expand
  29. chrisg
    Jan 24, 2010
    Zoe D is beginning to be typecast as the mercurial girl-next-door who kept every teen guy at arms length, for no apparent reason. Very beguiling. Levitt is getting better with every film. Best Picture? Not even close. The story jumps around with very annoying graphics. Want a similarly themed but great date film that? See "Definitely Maybe."
  30. Apr 27, 2011
    the most depressing movie i have seen in a long time. if you want to see a guy be depressed for 90 minutes and have his heart torn out of his ass, this is the movie for you.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.