8.1

1. AlexP.
    Sep 1, 2009
    A refreshingly unformulaic rom-com, anchored by a finely nuanced performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
  2. JonathanS.
    Jul 19, 2009
    ...As if a thousand childhood Christmases were crammed into an hour and a half. It lost some steam when it hit the halfway point, but that's irrelevant--Gordon-Levitt's dance scene alone was worth the price of admission; I haven't smiled that much in who knows how long. Simply enjoyable, yet creative and unwilling to give into convention, this movie deserves to break into a ...As if a thousand childhood Christmases were crammed into an hour and a half. It lost some steam when it hit the halfway point, but that's irrelevant--Gordon-Levitt's dance scene alone was worth the price of admission; I haven't smiled that much in who knows how long. Simply enjoyable, yet creative and unwilling to give into convention, this movie deserves to break into a big hit. Not to mention, it's an independent film that uses good music to actually flesh out the scenes, not just act quirky. And having two of my favorite actors didn't hurt at all. I saw it three times through the Fox Searchlight Advance Screening program, and I still plan to see it a fourth time. I'm calling it now: with the expanded slots at the Oscars and Comedy section in the Golden Globes: don't be surprised if this is the little indie that squares off with all the traditional November films like Nine and Shutter Island. Best movie of the summer, along with The Hurt Locker. See it! Expand
  3. bobj
    Jul 30, 2009
    Lol at the people who gave the movie 0s because it wasn't 'deep enough' for them... next time go ahead and walk out, nobody really cares.
  4. CodyB
    Aug 9, 2009
    This movie was absolutely hilarious! There were parts where my wife and I couldn't stop laughing. And for all of the dudes out there... we all know or have dated a girl just like Summer. If you're single and your heart has been manipulated and squashed by a girl like this, you might want to wait to see it when you are married or in a stable relationship, or this movie might just This movie was absolutely hilarious! There were parts where my wife and I couldn't stop laughing. And for all of the dudes out there... we all know or have dated a girl just like Summer. If you're single and your heart has been manipulated and squashed by a girl like this, you might want to wait to see it when you are married or in a stable relationship, or this movie might just PISS YOU OFF! Expand
  5. JohnL.
    Sep 8, 2009
    The movie was dead on.
  6. CanaanB
    Jan 14, 2010
    I cannot speak highly enough about this film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a brilliant lead, and the way in which this 'love' story plays out is quite refreshing. It's also genuinely funny at times. The rom-com for those that would typically stay miles away.
  7. NilesH
    Jan 22, 2010
    Loved everything about this film.
  8. ShaunQ
    Jan 30, 2010
    It's a travesty that this movie has a lower score on metacritic than District 9. You won't be disappointed by seeing it.
  9. ConnorB.
    Oct 13, 2009
    The best romantic comedy I've seen in years and an excellent directorial debut from Marc Webb. Deschanel is one of my favourite actresses and she really shines in this heart-warming film. The soundtrack was also stunning, and some of the more innovatively filmed scenes really impressed me. Ten out of ten.
  10. LoyalM
    Jul 21, 2009
    The best Cameron Crowe film never made. Joins Before Sunset, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Once, and Garden State as the defining films about relationships for a generation. Oh and the soundtrack, how sweet and lovely.
  11. BenE
    Jul 20, 2009
    One of the most beautifully acted, and brilliantly directed films I have ever seen. True and refreshing cinematic art.
  12. DaleM
    Aug 7, 2009
    This most excellent film is not your typical love story. As a matter of fact, it may not be a love story at all. In some ways it's more about growing up than it is about love. In other ways it's more about how we perceive reality than it is about love or growing up. In other ways it's more about the indefatigable spirit of life and about not ever really growing up but about This most excellent film is not your typical love story. As a matter of fact, it may not be a love story at all. In some ways it's more about growing up than it is about love. In other ways it's more about how we perceive reality than it is about love or growing up. In other ways it's more about the indefatigable spirit of life and about not ever really growing up but about how one season just flows into the next in a wonderful cycle driven, as Dante pointed out, by the power of love. So in the end, it really is a love story. The story in this film is told in non-chronological order. The structure is more like the structure of memory. In our consciousness, memories from different past time periods pop up next to one another without chronological ordering. Yet despite it being told as a series of memories, the end of the film is more difficult to predict than your typical romantic comedy. The non-chronological story line is only one way that 500 Days of Summer presents life in subjective terms. Our emotions often color our perceptions. In this film, the story is colored by the main character's emotions. When he is happy, he remembers happy things and perceives happiness around him. If you watch the film closely, you will even how the movies tend to mold his perceptions. At one point, I thought I was watching a scene from the Graduate, but it was actually an original scene in the film. The end result of all this originality is a film with a wide emotional range that is lots of fun. Excellent acting, good music, and good art direction and dancing. Expand
  13. LuisG
    Sep 23, 2009
    often said but rarely true .. this is the most original story about love in years ... true, poignant and very resonating - leads are pitch perfect so far my fav film this year
  14. JillianH
    Jan 24, 2010
    I absolutely adore this movie. It is entirely original, no matter what anyone says. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel were great as the doomed lovers, though I began to hate Summer as the movie progressed.
  15. AlS
    Mar 23, 2010
    After 2/3 of this movie I wondered what the hype was about. It seemed like standard fare, maybe a bit boring. Then it all came together. Striking message about life, love, and how feelings don't necessarily match reality. Very hopeful ending - funny, uplifting. Levitt's acting was fantastic throughout.
  16. EmmanuelS
    Nov 11, 2009
    Beautiful for men, hard for women. And it´s not an error.
  17. AlexG
    Nov 10, 2009
    This was one of the finest movies i have ever seen because of the realness Marc Webb brought out of it. There is not a single scene in this movie that does not impact the viewer in some way or another. Whether critics or viewers accept it or not (500) Days of Summer also brings out many truths about love that are lost in other movies that are similarly made. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph This was one of the finest movies i have ever seen because of the realness Marc Webb brought out of it. There is not a single scene in this movie that does not impact the viewer in some way or another. Whether critics or viewers accept it or not (500) Days of Summer also brings out many truths about love that are lost in other movies that are similarly made. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are charming, funny, and smart and this is a must see! Expand
  18. JanS
    Nov 7, 2009
    Best film I've seen in years. The film is crushing and hopeful at the same time.
  19. tomw
    Dec 11, 2009
    A truly touching and contemporary film that rekindled the heart aches of falling for the wrong girl. Ouch,can't remember the last movie that made me feel this way.
  20. TyroneG.
    Jul 18, 2009
    What an amazing work. Truly the best of the year. I finally feel like my generation has it's "the graduate" or "annie hall." Just wonderful writing perfectly executed from the top down. Bravo! Can't wait to see it again!
  21. GraziB
    Jul 19, 2009
    Just unforgettable.
  22. flysydef.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Funny and touching, very honest.
  23. TracieP
    Aug 14, 2009
    I absolutely LOVED the movie! It was funny, caring, romantic and just great.
  24. JPZ
    Aug 15, 2009
    Excellent.
  25. ronnieb
    Aug 28, 2009
    Nice escape film from the typical summer blockbuster. I particularly enjoyed the crazed jumps in time back and forth over the 500 days. Throw in some unusual film montages, particularly one shot as a laughable French film, and you have the makings of a very unusual and atypical love or love lost story.
  26. loub
    Aug 29, 2009
    I didn't want it to end.I wanted to see how his relationship with Autumn worked out.Actually I wanted to see more of the gorgeous Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights.
  27. RebeccaW
    Aug 9, 2009
    It was real. That is all.
  28. TomM
    Sep 28, 2009
    Fresh, inventive, superbly written, and engagingly acted. Destined to be a classic. A smart movie that's a joy to watch. My wife and I keep commenting on one memorable touch after another.
  29. JillS.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Awesome movie,my favourite of all time.Better than Avatar!(In my opinion).
  30. JohnK.
    Nov 26, 2009
    This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great script, cast, and soundtrack, so give it a chance! Expand
  31. XavierE
    Oct 16, 2009
    A perfect movie with large impact.
  32. AlexS.
    Dec 21, 2009
    Loved it. Very raw, original and true. Not for everybody, but for everyone to see. A beauty of a film.
  33. hbleez
    Jul 22, 2009
    Great movie!!! 100% original romantic comedy, the two leads give stellar performances, novel directing, the non-linear nature of the story captivates you, and the bittersweet nature of love is depicted in a refreshing and fun way... provides many good laughs, but is also touching and makes you think about who you are meant to be with...hope this movie gets more distribution.
  34. ScottA
    Jul 22, 2009
    One word.... BRILLIANT!
  35. (anon)ymous
    Aug 13, 2009
    A very enjoyable movie all the way around. Zooey is a great actress, but I think Joseph really shined through in his performance.
  36. DavidA
    Dec 18, 2009
    This has been said before, but this movie really strikes me as a postmodern "Annie Hall". A love story deconstucted and enfused with beautiful ironies. Offbeat, cute, surreal, and sweet.
  37. Nov 14, 2010
    No one really quite knows the exact reasons why there relationship ends or how it ended in the first place or why it came to end the way it did. All we know is that the relationship is over and there is nothing we can do about it they have moved on so should we however, that is sometimes easier said that done. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows this all too well as h e has justNo one really quite knows the exact reasons why there relationship ends or how it ended in the first place or why it came to end the way it did. All we know is that the relationship is over and there is nothing we can do about it they have moved on so should we however, that is sometimes easier said that done. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows this all too well as h e has just broken up with his loveless, girlfriend Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). He is wreck after there break-up he has lost his kind nature and feels disjointed and lost in the world like he has had his heart ripped out and had her do the Mexican hat dance all over it. Tom is depressed and lonely but thanks to his friends (Geoffrey Arend and Matthew Gray Gubler) and an extraordinarily smart little girl who seems to be an expert on relationships (Chloe Moretz). Tom looks back on the 500 days of his relationship with Summer trying to find out what went wrong and what he could have done differently if he only had a second chance. There is a scene of dialogue that opens this film stating, "This is not a love story, this is a story about love" and that is the entire basis for this film story. This is not a love story a love story is where you see a sequences of events and happenings that lead two people to find one another. Then in a big mush climax they admit there love for one another while the poignant and very sappy music plays in the background while the girl finally finds her knight in shining armor or the boy finally finds his princess. It is a tried and rundown formula that has plagued the romance genre for the last 30 years, now here we are in the 21st century and we still get these sappy and at some points very cringe inducing conclusions to these cliché love stories that makes audiences scoff, scoff because they have seen it hundreds thousands of times before. "(500) Days of Summerâ Expand
  38. Jan 3, 2011
    Is this, romantic-comedy, is not a perfect 10 i don't what it is? this movie is the best you can expect for a romantic-comedy and more!! Acting is good, cinematography original and beautiful, music great and its a honest love story that show us what is love and motivate us to go on. Best romantic film since Eternal Sunshine. submit
  39. Sep 17, 2013
    I loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way thatI loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way that leaves you thinking "do I really like this girl or is she the devil incarnate?" Expand
  40. Sep 15, 2010
    One of the more memorable movies I've seen in the past year. It had a nice tone and sort of a "real life" feel to it, when it comes to relationships (beyond the fantasy elements in the movie). Not a love story, but a relationship story. Excellent filmmaking.
  41. Jan 29, 2011
    one of the best in 2009, its ending was totally unexpected. Its cleaver dialog and script makes 500 days of summer one of the best romantic comedy's of all year and maybe of all time. Both leads play there part perfectly as i believed them 100% of the movie. Just the way they told the story was something i have never seen in movies before, i though it would get confusing skipping fromone of the best in 2009, its ending was totally unexpected. Its cleaver dialog and script makes 500 days of summer one of the best romantic comedy's of all year and maybe of all time. Both leads play there part perfectly as i believed them 100% of the movie. Just the way they told the story was something i have never seen in movies before, i though it would get confusing skipping from day 352 to 2 but it didn't as the director made it work perfectly it added a really good twist to the movie. Expand
  42. May 27, 2011
    My favorite movie.
    A work of art.
    I never wanted it to end. Best picture, best soundtrack, best cast, best script, BEST MOVIE EVER of its genre. It is so beautifully crafted and it's not like all those sappy romantic comedies.
    Just like the narrator says at the very beginning, "This is not a love story. This is a story about love."
  43. Jun 29, 2011
    The Millenial's "When Harry Met Sally." Does a good job at articulating what modern love, dating, and heartbreak feels like, is well written, and has a beautiful aesthetic that remains consistent throughout the entire film.
  44. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    One of the best romantic comedies I've seen ever and one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. Zooey and Joseph are great as the two leads. It's painfully funny and sad to watch the ups and down of this very modern relationship. The structure of the plot is originally creative and interesting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is turning into one of the most sought after actors at the moment.
  45. Sep 4, 2011
    This film is the perfect romantic comedy-drama. After hundreds of formulaic romcoms, with poor acting, and poor scriptwriting, a film comes along that's sweet, funny, a little sour in places, clever and wonderfully performed. If you only watch one romcom in your life, this is the one.
  46. Sep 30, 2011
    Wonderful. Real. Funny, Creative. New. Terrific performances. Unique. This film was one of the most pleasant surprises I've seen in years. The leads are wonderful and the direction is well-paced. Here's hoping for more big-screen work from all involved.
  47. Jan 15, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is an original, hilarious, sweet, charming romantic comedy that isn't cliche at all and benefits from the fantastic and charming performances from Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gorden- Levit. I give this film 98%.
  48. Mar 27, 2012
    The screenplay is genuinely written, and the story doesn't stop from surprising us during the hole movie with its twists and turns. But the thing is, people who watched it easily do projections on their emotional life which is normal because of nature of the story that shows us another dark and bitter side of our human condition witch is pretty disappointing for those people, and yetThe screenplay is genuinely written, and the story doesn't stop from surprising us during the hole movie with its twists and turns. But the thing is, people who watched it easily do projections on their emotional life which is normal because of nature of the story that shows us another dark and bitter side of our human condition witch is pretty disappointing for those people, and yet completely true. It is actually a very bright and cheerful movie to show the sadness that a man can go through somewhere in his life. Expand
  49. Jan 31, 2012
    Loved this movie. Intelligent and witty, creative and fun. It's the only chick flick that I've ever seen and I have to say it's quite good. Extremely good.
  50. Feb 16, 2012
    Best romantic comedy of all time to me. It may not have the cliche ending that everyone desires but this is life. Happy endings do not occur on a daily basis. A very strong and compelling performance from the cast, every single one of them although joseph gordon-levitt and zooey deschanel deserve honorable mention. Direction of the movie plus the cinematography was excellent to say theBest romantic comedy of all time to me. It may not have the cliche ending that everyone desires but this is life. Happy endings do not occur on a daily basis. A very strong and compelling performance from the cast, every single one of them although joseph gordon-levitt and zooey deschanel deserve honorable mention. Direction of the movie plus the cinematography was excellent to say the least. soundtrack was played to its strengths too. The script was brilliantly written too, no nonsense corny **** which is another plus point. highly recommended. Expand
  51. May 8, 2012
    I love this movie.
    That is all I can say.
  52. Apr 21, 2012
    I loved this movie. I think everyone could relate to the story. I loved the spontaneity of the characters. I liked the part when Summer was sitting on the bench. I liked the conversations between Summer and Tom. I liked most of the lines. I just want to say that the writers of this movie were amazing.
  53. Jun 28, 2012
    500 days of summer is an impressive story about dorian-gray-thinking woman, looking for new sensations. And Tom is an only new sensation continouing 500 days of summer.
  54. Jul 31, 2012
    One of the smartest, funniest, and heartfelt movies I've ever seen. Marc Webb's direction always feels creative but never gimmicky. (500) Days of Summer is one of the most relatable and emotionally resonant movies I've seen, and one of my all-time favorites.
  55. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are building the relationship you hope will last forever watch this movie at least twice. Girls? Don
  56. Feb 22, 2013
    Amazing film!, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are so good in this. Both are excellent actors.
    The film is a romantic comedy about the relationship of a girl who doesn't believe in true love while JGL's character does and wants something more from her. With the story unfolds as he retells their times together.
  57. Jul 3, 2013
    Lovely bitter-sweet comedy about Tom, a guy who believes in love at first sight and Summer who apparently does not. The plot and characters are believable, and the movie is edited in a clever way. We follow some of the most important moments of the Tom/Summer relationship (and break-up) in a non-linear sequence, which for once improves the story.

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with quirky scenes (the black & white "movie" Tom watches after the break-up; the dance scene and scored with brilliant music.

Romantic comedies are hardly ever this good and watchable. It does not hurt that Tom and Summer are played by actors likable and good looking, but in an ordinary way more than in a Hollywood superstar way.
    It is funny to note that some male reviewers hated the Summer character, describing her as a "tease" often using more impolite words. In fact, Summer is honest and straightforward. She is adamant with Tom about not wanting a serious relation and Tom accepts this condition. Unfortunately, when it comes to feelings, how can you really assure anybody that you will not fall madly in love?

That is Summer's mistake: expecting Tom to accept a carefree relationship, when nobody can really foresee how deeply they will love somebody else. But can she be called a tease for that? Tom, harbouring his notion of the "perfect match" is living in an illusion of his own making. He gets obsessed about the fact that Summer is that perfect match and blames her for not living up to his expectations.

In fact, Summer herself falls into the love trap, showing that even the best intentions can crumble down unexpectedly and the girl who did not want a serious relationship ends up married. That is what real life is about, illogical and vastly unforeseeable.
  58. Jun 25, 2013
    A lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer justA lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer just haven't met her yet. This is very much a "For Emma Forever Ago" as a movie. Love love love it. Expand
  59. May 11, 2015
    Probably one of the most down to earth movies ever. This performance put Joseph Gordon-Levitt back on the map again. But do know, this is a drama, not a typical romantic comedy.
  60. Feb 24, 2015
    What is fascinating about this movie is that it really hits you hard. Certainly, it is just another indie mambo jumbo movie that actually found its way into the mainstream, but '(500) Days of Summer' really hits you hard with its realism and messages. With a great screen couple, JGL and Zooey Deschanel, the movie adds to the appeal that is already present with the realistic story and artsyWhat is fascinating about this movie is that it really hits you hard. Certainly, it is just another indie mambo jumbo movie that actually found its way into the mainstream, but '(500) Days of Summer' really hits you hard with its realism and messages. With a great screen couple, JGL and Zooey Deschanel, the movie adds to the appeal that is already present with the realistic story and artsy details. It also teaches you a lot about life, about people and about relationships and I am certain that it will be a hot topic amongst your friends, as per the moral evaluation of Summer and... the guy JGL's playing (I keep forgetting his name - was it Tom?). I'm certain each of us had such an experience, both male and female, and it was, for me at leas, certainly lovely to see how things can turn out and I learned a lot as it really broadened my perspective and showed me clear signs of potential problems that I can now avoid. For all these reasons - a perfect 10! Expand
    Jul 30, 2009
    One of the most entertaining romantic comedies I've seen in a long time. It's thoughtful and bittersweet, and might be the best representation of modern relationships that Hollywood has put out.
  62. EvinC
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great Film. I can relate to it in every way and it made me realize again why i'm in love with film.
  63. GK
    Aug 6, 2009
    Quick and funny Smart and real. Nicely made with great cast and music. A wonderful movie.
  64. PeteB
    Jan 26, 2010
    Brilliant film - cringeworthy in parts (for a man who had his heartbroken in similar fashion), ecstatic in parts (for a man who too has tried to impress women by drunkenly singing indie classics) and with a fantastic soundtrack throughout. The 2 leads are captivating & enigmatic throughout.
  65. AlexP
    Feb 21, 2010
    I wouldn't suggest seeing this movie with a girl you aren't confident about, because ultimately the movie is about where fate falls (that's practically a pun! sly winks abound) won't be/feel the same for all people. Also, the NPR review is complete bullshit. What is it actually deriding? I think it's basically somehow saying its not genuine, somehow more like a I wouldn't suggest seeing this movie with a girl you aren't confident about, because ultimately the movie is about where fate falls (that's practically a pun! sly winks abound) won't be/feel the same for all people. Also, the NPR review is complete bullshit. What is it actually deriding? I think it's basically somehow saying its not genuine, somehow more like a Jennifer Anisten flick, but this movie was entirely more effective and brilliantly shining. Expand
  66. RobergS
    Feb 2, 2010
    Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Tom was lead blindly and he paid the price. She really was a dream. Expand
  67. SamY.
    Apr 5, 2010
    Finally a romantic comedy that isn't corny and can relate to everyone. Plus a brilliant screenplay and brilliant acting. I gave it a 9 because it felt too "hipster" to relate to audiences, I mean Zooey Deschanel as Summer Fin? That's a little typecasting...
  68. JulienT
    Oct 22, 2009
    If you don't feel in love and hopeful again after seeing this movie, then you have a heart of stone.
  69. BruceX
    Oct 4, 2009
    Very realistic, honest portrayal of young adult love relationships that never quite work out--as is often the case in real life. This movie grows on you; good to see with friends and discuss afterwards. Script is superb; you never quite know where it's going,thus keeping up the "suspense."
  70. RichardW.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Sweet without cloying; a wonderful "couple" in a beautifully directed film
  71. stephanie
    Aug 10, 2009
    Thought it was fun, fresh, and hip. Loved the direction and Joseph was great as acting, and Zoey for once wasnt monotone and dull...nice change of pace for a non-romantic comedy. By the way very very funny in a charming way.
  72. BillyS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    I Loved this movie! It's smart, funny, touching and bittersweet in ways I haven't seen in a movie since Annie Hall, and what Diane Keaton was to that classic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is to 500 Days. An astonishing performance that carries the film to another level. This is the kind of movie the Academy expanded it's Best Picture category for - a small independent miracle!
  73. jeffh
    Aug 1, 2009
    What a wonderful movie.It is real,funny and emotional-everyting a romantic comedy should be.Both leads are very talented and the non-sequential storytelling leaves you guessing.
  74. AaronG.
    Aug 2, 2009
    A great romantic comedy to bring the summer to an optimistic end.
  75. SlickDaddy
    Sep 13, 2009
    I loved this movie. VERY good romantic comedy. The main characters were AWESOME! Zooey is amazing!
  76. AngelR.
    Feb 1, 2010
    im a dude and i have to say i loved this movie. holy shit i expected less. this isn't cliched at all it's a love story but it isn't because the boy meets the girl then loses her and the end was the best she replied "autumn."
  77. JimM
    Dec 24, 2009
    This is a very good movie in so many ways. But if you are one who needs the "they lived happily ever after" fairy tale ending -- like some of the critics who downgraded the film for only that reason (go figure!) -- you might be a little disappointed. However, if enjoy good acting, clever writing, and a realistic story line executed in a fresh way you'll probably enjoy this film. It This is a very good movie in so many ways. But if you are one who needs the "they lived happily ever after" fairy tale ending -- like some of the critics who downgraded the film for only that reason (go figure!) -- you might be a little disappointed. However, if enjoy good acting, clever writing, and a realistic story line executed in a fresh way you'll probably enjoy this film. It has a real sincere genuine quality to it. Expand
  78. Norm
    Jul 17, 2009
    Zooey Deschanel might be, finally, on a solid career track. Her performance in her last five movies have been good . . . after an earlier spotty track record. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's work has been fairly consistently strong since leaving sitcom TV. The two 28 year olds are perfectly cast in (500) Days Of Summer. The interaction of their relationship, cleverly written, rang true. In Zooey Deschanel might be, finally, on a solid career track. Her performance in her last five movies have been good . . . after an earlier spotty track record. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's work has been fairly consistently strong since leaving sitcom TV. The two 28 year olds are perfectly cast in (500) Days Of Summer. The interaction of their relationship, cleverly written, rang true. In fact I would say it was probably universally true. I bet every one can identify with one or another or both. They seemed so right for each other . . . not to mention both being super cute. But . . . Well. we are warned very early in the film that this is not going to be a successful love story. So I wasn't expecting a "they live happily ever after" kind of ending. But the ending, which evoked laughter and applause from the small audience - it was a 10:30 a.m. showing, was most satisfying. Expand
  79. BillB
    Jul 27, 2009
    Nice try at sounding smart Marieke W, but its obvious you were dumped at some point and this movie brought those skeletons out of your closet. This movie is anything but your "run of the mill" romance comedy. It's funny, heartbreaking, and very real all at the same time. My GF and I both loved it as well as everyone else in the theater. Go turn on Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing for Nice try at sounding smart Marieke W, but its obvious you were dumped at some point and this movie brought those skeletons out of your closet. This movie is anything but your "run of the mill" romance comedy. It's funny, heartbreaking, and very real all at the same time. My GF and I both loved it as well as everyone else in the theater. Go turn on Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing for the 8,354th time and remain in LaLa land. Those of us who enjoy something fresh and real will love this movie. Expand
  80. BobS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Original, two super actors, tears at your heart.
  81. naiku
    Aug 13, 2009
    Just an absolutely pleasant movie. Rare for an on screen relationship which you can actually relate to. Happens very often in this film and just a gem. The soundtrack is just unbelievably good. highly recommended.
  82. BrianM.
    Sep 14, 2009
    One of the best romantic comedies I've seen in a long time, probably because it's not a conventional romantic comedy. This movie is both deeply funny and heartbreakingly truthful about the rush of falling in love and the emotional fallout that takes place when the excitement starts to wear off. A true original.
  83. NoraB
    Jan 24, 2010
    Original and sweet and interesting narrative style and directing, and at first I was not 'sold' on the structure, but then I loved how they did a split screen - reality v expectations and it was SO creative. Its a bittersweet romcom but superior to many, many others.
  84. MattC
    Feb 19, 2010
    It was a little difficult to bear this movie after the breakup. From the beginning, the viewer knows that the relationship between Tom and Summer is doomed (although, there is hope in tom trying to win her back) It wasn't until a good way through the movie that I was really enchanted by summer. Their relationship is depicted so well that it is difficult to realize its inevitable It was a little difficult to bear this movie after the breakup. From the beginning, the viewer knows that the relationship between Tom and Summer is doomed (although, there is hope in tom trying to win her back) It wasn't until a good way through the movie that I was really enchanted by summer. Their relationship is depicted so well that it is difficult to realize its inevitable downfall. I wasn't extremely fond of the theme about fate, which basically sums up the ending. I was only mildly satisfied by the ending, but even still, this movie is extremely memorable. As for those who say its corny or cliche, I dont even begin to see that. I would recommend anybody to watch this movie. Expand
  85. JoelleG
    Nov 23, 2009
    Skeptical to see it at first, but glad I did. Charming and captivating. Not just meant to be a feel good movie which is a relief.
  86. Dave
    Jul 25, 2009
    Wow, Marieke that's quite a harsh review. Are you sure it was for this film? Also, you say "great films of our time", which films exactly are you talking about because I think There have been VERY few in this genre actually made this good in recent years. Having gone through this in a past relationship, I could totally identify with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. I thought Wow, Marieke that's quite a harsh review. Are you sure it was for this film? Also, you say "great films of our time", which films exactly are you talking about because I think There have been VERY few in this genre actually made this good in recent years. Having gone through this in a past relationship, I could totally identify with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. I thought everything depicted here was spot-on. Great acting all around and a great script. My only complaint, and this is slight was the part of the younger sister which seemed a bit far fetched. Expand
  87. AnonyMoose
    Aug 13, 2009
    Funnier than expected to be and charming, 500 Days of Summer was a nice break from Boy & Girl meet and fall in love, the end. Everything from the actors to the music score seemed to fit perfectly.
  88. AlJ
    Sep 27, 2009
    Fun, witty, true. This movie is everything you don't expect to find from a romantic comedy - and for that reason, I loved it!
  89. ArianoA.
    Nov 19, 2009
    This movie is a reminder that love isn't always easy and pretty. It has consequences and everything we do in life is just a series of consequences. The story is very intriguing, keeps the audience captivated.
  90. SteveF
    Dec 29, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie! and Zooey Deschanel is a true beauty and such an amazing actress! Well worth seeing.
  91. Sep 6, 2010
    Ironically, the perfect date movie turns out to be a film about some of the more negative aspects of love, the heartbreak and rejection, the confusion and hurt and yet remains a joy to watch. The characters feel more like old friends, whose situations are so real that augments their highs and makes you empathise with their lows. Well written, well acted, well done.
  92. Jan 11, 2011
    This is probably the only romantic comedy I've seen to date that I have been able to fully relate to. It's clear a huge amount of research when into peoples' relationships and Marc Webb was able to make a movie which had morals, as well as moments in which you can sit back and laugh at because you've been in a similar situation. The editing style was amazing and we've seen this with MarcThis is probably the only romantic comedy I've seen to date that I have been able to fully relate to. It's clear a huge amount of research when into peoples' relationships and Marc Webb was able to make a movie which had morals, as well as moments in which you can sit back and laugh at because you've been in a similar situation. The editing style was amazing and we've seen this with Marc Webb's music videos (REF: Move Along, Bad Day & 21 Guns). He loves experimenting with different editing styles and it paid off. By jumping backwards and forwards between different dates from the 500 days, it was a different way of telling a story and revealing vital parts of the plot to the audience as it went on.

Overall, a very good film and one I will no doubt watch over and over again...
  93. Dec 11, 2010
    I like how it focuses on the guys side of the relationship where he realizes that he should be paying more attention. There was some fantasy, but it was mild.
  94. May 26, 2011
    Too often compared to the neo-quirky comedies of Wes Anderson and the smart-teen dialogue of "Juno," "500 Days of Summer" is a singularly original comedy in its own right that deserves recognition for brilliant direction, writing, and editing, as well as the wonderful performances from leads and supporting players. A new twist on old formulas, this feature from music video director MarcToo often compared to the neo-quirky comedies of Wes Anderson and the smart-teen dialogue of "Juno," "500 Days of Summer" is a singularly original comedy in its own right that deserves recognition for brilliant direction, writing, and editing, as well as the wonderful performances from leads and supporting players. A new twist on old formulas, this feature from music video director Marc Webb doesn't pander to the audience's expectations, and recognizes that drama must coincide with laughs. Expand
  95. Apr 24, 2011
    This movie is superb by all means. Modern relationships are often misguided opinions and the inability to be truly intimate. Additionally, talking and listening are core elements, because a relationship is difficult. 500 Days of Summer, excels because it presents how society is now a days. Everyone goes on parading something that they feel, and love, when truly it is something they don'tThis movie is superb by all means. Modern relationships are often misguided opinions and the inability to be truly intimate. Additionally, talking and listening are core elements, because a relationship is difficult. 500 Days of Summer, excels because it presents how society is now a days. Everyone goes on parading something that they feel, and love, when truly it is something they don't quite understand yet, and these are driven by simple infatuations or a blind emotion devoted to not seeing the truth as it is presented. Many of us are in relationships we don't understand, but we still go at it. Why? The movie presents this remarkably well and tells the consequences in flashback sequences. Ultimately though, it ends on a positive note. A must watch, for its light touch of comedy and dramatic effect towards the end. Expand
  96. Aug 11, 2011
    Beautifully acted and smartly written romantic comedy.500 Days is a real departure from the norm of the genre.It cleverly avoids every cliche and is completely unsentimental.Zooey Deschanel is adorable and funny while also showing real depth.Joseph Gordon Levitt is also very impressive.It's believable and refreshing.The soundtrack is impeccable and the whole movie is refreshinglyBeautifully acted and smartly written romantic comedy.500 Days is a real departure from the norm of the genre.It cleverly avoids every cliche and is completely unsentimental.Zooey Deschanel is adorable and funny while also showing real depth.Joseph Gordon Levitt is also very impressive.It's believable and refreshing.The soundtrack is impeccable and the whole movie is refreshingly honest.One of the best romantic comedies of recent times. Expand
  97. Jul 5, 2012
    One of those films where you genuinely care about the characters. In a day when most rom-coms are cheap and manipulative 500 days of summer deals with big themes and executes it perfectly with it's flawless ending.
  98. Oct 16, 2011
    Those who can relate to the central meaning of 500 Days of Summer will LOVE IT, those who do not relate will miss it's point. As the movie announces - 500 days is NOT a movie about love, its a movie about a wuss/confused modern male coming to terms with reality. The movies soundtrack is awesome; its visuals are meaningful and interesting. There are some great scenes throughout that IThose who can relate to the central meaning of 500 Days of Summer will LOVE IT, those who do not relate will miss it's point. As the movie announces - 500 days is NOT a movie about love, its a movie about a wuss/confused modern male coming to terms with reality. The movies soundtrack is awesome; its visuals are meaningful and interesting. There are some great scenes throughout that I believe are some of the most memorable in recent popular movies. 500 days is not perfect as it does start to drag during its 3rd quarter but I believe is one of the best movies in recent years. Expand
  99. Aug 10, 2011
    This is probably the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. Its dialogue and emotion is so much more real than almost all others. Even if that wasn't the case, the movie would've been saved by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, anyway

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.