3.9

1. Oct 4, 2011
    Joel Schumacher really doesn't show anything significant or prominent throughout "8MM". Everything's grotesque and lacks the profound air Nicholas Cage tries to present. However I admit that the film certainly did not deserve a 1.9 out of 10; its still entertaining or manageable in a way.
  2. Jul 24, 2014
    Director Joel Schumacher directed "Batman and Robin" so it doesn't come by a surprise that this movie would fail miserably. The end result is an unappealing sadistic violence and a great lack of mystery and suspense.
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    8mm has a very good story, it manages suspense properly enough, I don't agree that it shows too much gore, I think that it shows enough of it to probe the film's idea. It's not the best Cage's movie but it's an average suspense movie.
  4. Sep 7, 2014
    Nicholas Cage's worst movie hands down, the movie is too dark and graphic.
    ***************************************************************************
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    What a good psycho thriller..kept me entertained throughout. Pretty crazy scenes that make you think...this really happened out there! He goes deep into underground territory on this one..love the plot and explains it well and does its job to keep you entertained.
  6. Feb 23, 2013
    This is one of the darkest, grittiest, and scariest films I have ever seen. The reason? It's simple, this could actually happen! This probably has happened before! Tom Welles (Nicholas Cage) is hired by an elderly woman who finds a snuff film among her late husband's possessions. She wants to know if it's real and if it is wants to pay the family for her husband's mistakes. The investigation takes Welles down a deep dark road that few travel and even less know about. The story is just so dark and creepy that some of you might actually be freaked out by it! Cage is amazing as always, leading a terrific cast, that includes Joaquin Phoenix and Tony Soprano himself, James Gandolfini. It's a very strong story that will chill you to the bone. It's defiantly not for everyone, but it was right up my alley! Collapse
  7. Mar 22, 2012
    The thing I like most about 8mm is the fact that they can take what should have been an generic movie and make it into something worth watching. Despite the acting being rather generic and the plot being insanely straight forward, 8mm was enjoyable to watch.
  8. Jun 11, 2014
    I loved this movie because of the dark nature of the film and what it depicts. It shows the struggle between the evil and good of man and one of the darker sides of our humanity.
  9. Sep 30, 2014
    pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Overwhelming dislike - based on 20 Critics

1. Voyeuristically wallows in the sadistic violence it professes to deplore. What hypocrisy!
    Almost as degrading as any unmarked video you can buy in the back alleys of Manila, and, in its pseudo-significance and arty pretension, it's a lot less honest. I'm heartily sorry I had to poison an entire evening with it.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    The moral contortions of 8MM seem especially bogus, a sadomasochistic peep show booth pretending to be a confessional.