7.1

1. Aug 20, 2015
    9 (2009) movie was an amazing artistic masterpiece! First off, I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton and there's been very few things that Tim Burton was some part in that I didn't like. What was done with the movie nice was craftsmanship, such a small crew come together to make this film and it is wonderful. The voices performed by the cast fit their characters so well, the graphics were beyond9 (2009) movie was an amazing artistic masterpiece! First off, I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton and there's been very few things that Tim Burton was some part in that I didn't like. What was done with the movie nice was craftsmanship, such a small crew come together to make this film and it is wonderful. The voices performed by the cast fit their characters so well, the graphics were beyond amazing, and for the largest part of all expectations this movie is top notch.

Now I've saw many reviews that has been giving this film some bad press and honestly I'm not sure what their gripe is given that the largest portion of the people posting the negative reviews enjoyed "The Expendables"; I guess that answers our questions on that. 9 was simply amazing, I have it in my movie collection and have watched it more than 50 times over; I've enjoyed every moment of it. Simply a beautiful concept in a film.
  2. Jul 4, 2015
    It's not everyday you see flick like 9 bring a incredible and unique performance to the table, it's animation was decent for time it was released and it's actors and actress gave great performances for their characters. The story really counted, if you had seen the original Oscar nominated short film, you'd understand what all really about.
  3. Mar 25, 2015
    That's one surprisingly good movie.There is a lot of action and the story is original.The story is kinda dark and the characters are interesting even though they are stereotyped.
  4. Mar 11, 2015
    The story just seemed a little incomplete to me, it was one of those movies where when it ended you were like "what, it's over?" so that was one of the only complaints I had about it. Otherwise a great movie.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    This Movie touched me because of the story and setting and its a great movie to watch with a friend if he's a Tim Burton fan and from the inspired short from 2005 from the director and the all star cast you should see it for your self and if they make a prequel or sequel i would love to watch it.
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    Man I got to tell ya it is so nice to see something different that has the intensity of a mature movie yet lies within the realm of the animated world. Every scene was beautifully done and you can literally hang every frame up on a wall if you so choose to. The story was great, the suspense was amazing. Who ever complained about it not having a story, tell that to the crowd I saw jumpingMan I got to tell ya it is so nice to see something different that has the intensity of a mature movie yet lies within the realm of the animated world. Every scene was beautifully done and you can literally hang every frame up on a wall if you so choose to. The story was great, the suspense was amazing. Who ever complained about it not having a story, tell that to the crowd I saw jumping every so often from the intense confrontations. What I also liked about it was the hidden parts of the story. They give you enough information to enjoy the film but yet you can extract more of the back ground thought that went into what we saw in the completed film. For the first time ever I saw half of the audience stay behind after the credits role to not just see who worked on the movie but to debate back and forth about what they thought of it, what the characters represented, what happen in this or that scene, and of course the animation style and technique and how it moved them. Never seen anyone ever do that after watching a movie. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    Wonderful story line accompanied by gifted actors.
  8. Feb 20, 2013
    Action packed animation movie with decent voice-acting. But what really stands out is the post-apocalyptic and beautifully detailed environments. Nice and original story of grief, friendship and heroism. The grim style which 'll definitely show Tim Burton's cooperation works really well. The movie sometimes feels like a high-quality cut-scene from an action-RPG game but who cares! ThisAction packed animation movie with decent voice-acting. But what really stands out is the post-apocalyptic and beautifully detailed environments. Nice and original story of grief, friendship and heroism. The grim style which 'll definitely show Tim Burton's cooperation works really well. The movie sometimes feels like a high-quality cut-scene from an action-RPG game but who cares! This movie 'll bring you 80 minutes of solid action and fun. I want to give this movie a 9 very badly but it's just not THAT good. Though without a doubt, this movie is a worthy contestant for being my favorite animation movie in years. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    Very well directed. The plot is very unique and "9" has great attention to details. The screenplay was simply fantastic. I would recommend this movie to almost all ages.
  10. Oct 1, 2012
    "9" is brilliant, gloomy, but short. In all honesty, I thought the movie could have been a bit longer. But, looking back, I now realize that it was a great movie and that there really wasn't any need for "extra footage." The dark theme of the movie was really well put into the story. Plenty of "Mild Horror" kept the film going smoothly for the target audience. Though, plenty of disturbing"9" is brilliant, gloomy, but short. In all honesty, I thought the movie could have been a bit longer. But, looking back, I now realize that it was a great movie and that there really wasn't any need for "extra footage." The dark theme of the movie was really well put into the story. Plenty of "Mild Horror" kept the film going smoothly for the target audience. Though, plenty of disturbing images, it was still a nice, little, well put together movie that, ironically, receives a 9 from me. Expand
  11. Jun 21, 2012
    An excellent animated film with a lot more depth than movies like UP or WALL-E, yet because of its adult themes/visuals and apparent older target audience, it subjects itself to greater scrutiny, and comparisons with more complex adult-apocolypse type films.
  12. Apr 19, 2012
    9 is not a casual film. This isn't the kind of movie where you invite a bunch of friends over, expecting an "awesome" movie. That's not to say it's a bad movie, it's quite good in fact. It's just not a typical film. It's bleak, it's eerie, and even the action, though strong, has a lot of symbolic meaning. I don't often watch films like 9, nor do I want to. 9 offers only a few smiles, and9 is not a casual film. This isn't the kind of movie where you invite a bunch of friends over, expecting an "awesome" movie. That's not to say it's a bad movie, it's quite good in fact. It's just not a typical film. It's bleak, it's eerie, and even the action, though strong, has a lot of symbolic meaning. I don't often watch films like 9, nor do I want to. 9 offers only a few smiles, and no laughs. Rule #1 for me, it has to have humor. I don't mind serious films, but a little humor can go a long way in helping me remember the film, and enjoy it. 9 manages to entertain without laughs. But 9 has a lot of emotion anyway. Fear certainly comes to mind, as does sadness. The PG-13 rating was not earned from language or sexual content. Part of it comes from the bloodless, yet intense violence. The more protruding part comes from the darkness. Despite it's limited inappropriate content, this is not a film for kids. It's dark themes may even challenge older ones. The story isn't all that sophisticated, to be honest. And there's more than a few cliches. There are plot points we've seen before, and characters that may evoke a sense of deja vu. But that's okay, because the movie is strong. The animation is incredible. The musical score, though a little run of the mill, is appropriately creepy, and it knows when to keep quiet. The voice cast is filled with stars that shine, but don't distract. Of course, you didn't come to see any of that. Depending on who you are, you came for one of two things; an intellectual film, and thought provoking themes, or epic machine vs. rag doll fights. If action is what you came for, you shouldn't be disappointed. There are plenty of, I shouldn't say duels, but fights between the stitch dolls, and the mechanical beasts. This film is not made up of action throughout, so teens coming ONLY for the action will surely be disappointed, but there's enough action to thrill and excite. If you came for intellectual stimulation, you will have to wait for after the film to enjoy that bit. During the movie, you will have to do little thinking. This is the kind of flick that inspires conversation after viewing. As the film runs, you simply have to sit back and enjoy. 9 is a wonderful movie. It's by no means, one for the ages, but it's a thought-provoking, heart pounding little flick, that can surely be enjoyed by any one who wants to try something, a little new. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2012
    My only complaint? It was far too short. A universe like this can't be contained in an hour and 12 minutes. I would have liked to have seen more expansion on certain characters who, as a direct result of the limited length, got only a few lines in before dying.
  14. Sep 29, 2011
    I can't give "9" a 9, but it still is a rewarding movie that portrays lovely, grim visuals.
  15. Apr 30, 2011
    Although 9 doesn't run for very long, and the plot may not seem there at times, it's still worth the time, with its visuals that are on par with Blue Sky and an amazing voice cast that includes Elijah Wood and John C. Reilly.
  16. Sep 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Set in a post apocalyptic world where all life on Earth has been wiped out by machines, or rather one machine in particular. This film focuses on the efforts of a group of inventions, numbered 1 to 9, who try to redeem the scientist who made both them and the machine that destroyed the world. The machine has been dormant for many years, but one of its progeny, a mechanical cat-like creature protects its lair and takes anything that moves into itâ Expand
  17. DerekP
    Jan 2, 2010
    A very inventive movie with stunning visuals.
  18. marxmetacritic
    Dec 31, 2009
    This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I have been counting the days for the sheer perfection of this indescribably brilliant film to swoop down from heaven to DVD and Blue-Ray. Any one age 11 and a third or over can should and hopefully will see this film. I have found that ever since I saw this beautiful piece of art 4 months ago I have not gone a single day without This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I have been counting the days for the sheer perfection of this indescribably brilliant film to swoop down from heaven to DVD and Blue-Ray. Any one age 11 and a third or over can should and hopefully will see this film. I have found that ever since I saw this beautiful piece of art 4 months ago I have not gone a single day without watching the trailer at least once. Life just wont be complete without seeing this film at least once. Expand
  19. DiablonioM
    Dec 25, 2009
    Good, but the short film in which it is based is better.
  20. BradM
    Dec 21, 2009
    A piece of brilliance, both in originality and visuals. Although short, it felt right at 80 minutes. Do we really need the 2-3 hour epics? straight to the point. Harrowing, haunting, yet my 5-year old totally got this movie. I feel the story treats the audience respect, both young and old. A favourite for years to come.
  21. BrandonJ.
    Nov 20, 2009
    A brilliant animated masterpiece. Excellent animation, excellent plot, excellent action sequences.
  22. ClaudioB
    Nov 20, 2009
    "9" is a great movie. The animation is excellent, the plot is entertaining, The action sequences are great. The only problems are that it is a little short for the story it tells, and it has a few clichés.
  23. LiamK
    Nov 13, 2009
    It was visually spectacular of course and it didn't have much of a plot or character develpment. But I was not expecting much of that so overall I think this film met my standards.
  24. BobW
    Oct 2, 2009
    Though the story may be a rehash of a familiar theme, it is visually stunning.
  25. C.T.H.
    Oct 1, 2009
    I thought it was pretty good not as good as other animated movies, but certainly one a kind i would see it to find out for your self!!!
  26. CelesteC.
    Sep 30, 2009
    That movie is totally for me. All Sci-fiyy.
  27. JasonD
    Sep 28, 2009
    I would say that this movie is not bad but at the same time it was not great. I had a lot of expectations for this film. I actually like that fact that it is geared for adults. The look is cool and it has a very scary feel to it. The robots are coll looking as well. I thinkn that my biggest issue is the whole thing feels rushed. It doesn't give you enough time to connect with any of I would say that this movie is not bad but at the same time it was not great. I had a lot of expectations for this film. I actually like that fact that it is geared for adults. The look is cool and it has a very scary feel to it. The robots are coll looking as well. I thinkn that my biggest issue is the whole thing feels rushed. It doesn't give you enough time to connect with any of the characters. It would say this is a rental. Expand
  28. EricE
    Sep 24, 2009
    I enjoyed this quirky movie. Kinda typical in a non-typical way. If you like dark Tim Burton types of movies then you would probably like this movie.
  29. HaydenM
    Sep 20, 2009
    Great movie with outstanding special effects, interesting characters, and plenty of action. But I agree with some of the other reviewers that this movie is not for kids.
  30. RickA
    Sep 15, 2009
    I thought it was creative for something animated that had a little different story line and unique feel to the characters. I liked it but not enough to see it twice or three times like I did Coraline. It is worth the money.

1. 9 never adds up to much. It's a dark adult film that gives itself over to the chases and frights of a kiddie movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Design aspects are arresting and the filmmaker's abilities are obvious, but the basic survival story remains slight, just as the general setting, no matter how artfully imagined, is by now pretty familiar.
    This is post-apocalyptic adventure as imagined for a teen crowd, and what it lacks in depth it makes up for in action. With a slight running time of 80 minutes, 9 doesn't contain an ounce of fat on its animated bones.