7.0

1. Aug 25, 2014
    A History of Violence is raw and compelling. This film will make you question everything, absolutely everything. And for good reason. By the end, you'll understand why Viggo Mortensen is much more than Aragorn.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    While exploring richly thematic ideas of harm, family, and the troubled past, David Cronenberg and the case of "A History Of Violence" ultimately craft a fantastically thought-provoking and thoroughly intriguing thriller.
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    It is very rare that a film is so compelling that it keeps my eyes absolutely glued to the screen from its opening sequence to its final frame. Surely, A History of Violence is one of the great films of the decade.
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    This one is definitely a slow burner, but the pay off is great and as a film, it is certainly something to marvel at. Firstly, the direction from David Cronenberg is great and as this was the first film of his I have seen, it certainly makes me want to continue going through his filmography. In terms of acting, Viggo Mortensen is great, as are Ed Harris and Maria Bello. The only actorThis one is definitely a slow burner, but the pay off is great and as a film, it is certainly something to marvel at. Firstly, the direction from David Cronenberg is great and as this was the first film of his I have seen, it certainly makes me want to continue going through his filmography. In terms of acting, Viggo Mortensen is great, as are Ed Harris and Maria Bello. The only actor whose performance was iffy was Ashton Holmes as Mortensen's son. He struggles at times, especially when on screen with heavyweights like Mortensen and Harris. In addition, the film is filled with tension. The film may be a slow burner and all, but once it kicks into high gear, things are very interesting thanks to these very well developed characters and their interpersonal relationships. While at the end of the day, this is a movie, everything felt very authentic and you really believed these people were who they said they were thanks to great writing, acting, and direction. The film has a smalltown feel as well, which is awesome. The violence is a tad graphic, but it never feels like it is too much, which is also a big plus for me personally. Overall, A History of Violence is a good film that really highlights what a thriller should be like. Expand
  5. j30
    Nov 15, 2011
    Fantastic performances all around, Viggo Mortensen is one of the best actors around today. There's no corny one-liners from the bad guys, it's all raw and violent. There's almost something poetic about it.
  6. Jul 22, 2013
    This is a top-notch film. It is paced very well and the story is great. I was continuously waiting for the next development to find exactly what was going on. Combine all of this with great acting and you've got something really good.
  7. Aug 11, 2010
    For as long as humanity has existed we have always been violent we may have not been created that way but somewhere down the line we found out that violence could save us or destroy us. It all depends on if we choose to use violence as a means of salvation or as a means of destruction in David Cronenberg's blunt yet very insightful film raises thought provoking and shocking questionsFor as long as humanity has existed we have always been violent we may have not been created that way but somewhere down the line we found out that violence could save us or destroy us. It all depends on if we choose to use violence as a means of salvation or as a means of destruction in David Cronenberg's blunt yet very insightful film raises thought provoking and shocking questions about the true nature of violence and how it can affect some and change others. how sometimes a single act of violence can make all the difference, how it can change who you are and turn you into a person you told yourself you would never be. This is the story of one man, the story of one family and the story of "A History of Violence". David Cronenberg's violent, brutal and extremely intelligent look into the nature of violence is nothing short of insightful, moving and at times shocking, shocking because it delivers a story so true and unflinchingly honest that turning away from the screen, turning away from the story would be near impossible. It is such a powerful and thought provoking film that just leaps out at you at every turn it shocks and amazes with its brutal violence, it's emotional and heartfelt story of family angst and how the past can sometimes catch up with you. Cronenberg know for his gory horror films and wigged out thrillers has created a stable film of right and wrong, good and evil, life and death. Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" is not a film for the squeamish or the faint of heart what it is a powerful film experiences that leaves you with a haunted and disturbed feeling making you wish you had not seen the film and at the same also making you feel glad you did. This film calls you to watch a film that needs you to watch it to see the darkness of one manâ Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2011
    The Cronenberg trademark gore SFX are here, but so too is a great drama, characters and a story. If it kicks off feeling a little too made-for-TV (a little too saccharine on the domestic bliss angle?) , it pays off later in the adrenaline rush of sudden, brutal realistic violence.
  9. Jun 14, 2015
    David Cronenberg, the director of such films as Dead Ringers and The Fly, has a reputation for being a little "out there." It may come as a surprise, therefore, to learn that his latest, A History of Violence, is almost mainstream in the way it tells a linear story and curtails freaky images. The movie, which is at its heart a meditation upon the meaning of identity, is not perfect.David Cronenberg, the director of such films as Dead Ringers and The Fly, has a reputation for being a little "out there." It may come as a surprise, therefore, to learn that his latest, A History of Violence, is almost mainstream in the way it tells a linear story and curtails freaky images. The movie, which is at its heart a meditation upon the meaning of identity, is not perfect. Although there's little wrong with the first two-thirds, A History of Violence slides onto a tangential path during its final act, and this misstep reduces the production's overall effectiveness. Nevertheless, there's a lot to admire here.

Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen) is a model citizen, ideal father, and loving husband. His two children, Jack (Ashton Holmes) and Sarah (Heidi Hayes), trust him, and his wife, Edie (Maria Bello), adores him. The fun hasn't gone out of their marriage, as Edie proves when she dons a cheerleader outfit to seduce Tom. One evening, while Tom is working behind the counter at his diner, two thugs come in with rape and robbery on their minds. After a brief struggle, Tom gets the gun away from one of the robbers and uses it to dispatch both intruders. He is hailed as a hero, and there is blanket news coverage. And it's on TV that Carl Fogaty (Ed Harris) sees a familiar face. Based on the evidence of his eyes, the man who calls himself Tom Stall is actually Joey Cusack, an ex-killer from Philadelphia. So, with henchmen in tow, Carl heads for the town of Millbrook, Indiana.

Central to the film's success is the uncertainty about Tom's past. When confronted by Carl, he not only denies being Joey, but claims to have never been in Philadelphia. Neither the script nor Viggo Mortensen gives us a clue whether Tom and Joey are the same person, or whether Tom is the victim of an unfortunate coincidence. As the Stalls must deal with the new, dangerous presence in their life, they must grapple with questions of identity. What makes each of us who we are? Is it our face, or something deep within?

Cronenberg weaves a spell for over an hour, but he proves unable to sustain it for the entire running length. The need for a conventional resolution pulls him off course during the movie's final third. Some of the most interesting characters and relationships are taken off the screen to allow A History of Violence to move in a different direction. Since the screenplay is based on a graphic novel, I suspect that the filmmakers may have had little choice about the trajectory.

The children have their own mini-stories as well. Sarah is afraid of monsters in her closet, and is comforted by her father (who says there are no monsters) and brother (who asserts that monsters are afraid of the light). Meanwhile, Jack has problems with a school bully. At first, he backs down but, in the wake of his father's "heroic" actions at the diner, he decides that confrontation may be the better course of action. Has the wimp become an avenger? Once again, it comes back to a question of identity.

Mortensen finds the perfect pitch for Tom. In this performance, we see a good, simple man who cares about his family and community. But we also see hints of something else - a darker, more decisive personality. During the film's first hour, I changed my mind several times about whether Tom was Joey, and a lot of that had to do with the way Mortensen plays the role. Opposite him, Maria Bello is a firecracker, the kind of actress who draws the camera's attention. Not since The Cooler has she been given this juicy and demanding a part. And, as the villain, Ed Harris is nothing short of despicable.

A History of Violence can be seen as a thriller, but in many ways it works best during its quieter moments. As the title indicates, this is not a sedate art film. It contains moments of sharp, vicious mayhem and there is a body count. But the strength of the movie lies in its psychological complexity and depth. And, while I wasn't enthused about where A History of Violence takes the audience during its waning moments, it at least offers a sense of closure, and, in the final scene, hope. Left unresolved, however, is the perhaps unanswerable question about whether the nature and identity of a person are fixed or fluid.
  10. Dec 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. The sudden bursts of extreme violence, the acting, the raw sex scenes, everything is top notch. The story amazes, and the ending at the dinner table is one of the most tense and thrilling scenes I've ever witnessed. Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2010
    Um ato de brutalidade pode desencadear inumeros outros, virar de cabeca para baixo uma comunidade tranquila, desestruturar uma familia inteira, tornar alguem irreconhecivel para si proprio e pelos seus entes queridos, enfim, estilhacar o american way of life. O impeto de violencia existe em nossos genes, como em qualquer outro animal â
  12. AAW
    Oct 4, 2005
    Best movie of the year. Extraordinary. Go now. Do not wait.
  13. Loreli
    Oct 4, 2005
    Superb movie. Acting is excellent. May catch mainstream audiences, who exclusively want entertainment, off guard. They will find themselves not only entertained but also pondering the movie and its questioning of violence and identify for days afterwards. Cronenberg has taken the age-old themes of the classic genres of the Western and revenge bloodfests and imbued it with a provocative Superb movie. Acting is excellent. May catch mainstream audiences, who exclusively want entertainment, off guard. They will find themselves not only entertained but also pondering the movie and its questioning of violence and identify for days afterwards. Cronenberg has taken the age-old themes of the classic genres of the Western and revenge bloodfests and imbued it with a provocative point of view. Is violence an ugly but necessary means to an end if your intention is noble, or is it always just ugly and self-defeating? Does the moral cost of violence negate its use in all circumstances? Can one ever escape your past no matter how much you have managed to reinvent yourself? Although he has successfully defeated all threats to his idyllic life, has Tom Stall destroyed ultimately destroyed that life in his attempts to keep it? Is he any longer "the best man" his wife has ever known? These are just some of the questions I came away with after viewing the movie, and there aren't too many other films I have seen lately that have done that for me. Expand
  14. RachelH.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Great movie overall. The only thing I really questioned is the ending.....the plot twists were excellent, they kept you wondering the whole way through. Especially good performance by Mortensen.
  15. AlexE.
    Oct 1, 2005
    You don't realize just how much this movie has affected you until it is over, the credits are rolling, Howard Shore's subtly haunting score is playing softly, and you realize that for the first time in a long time, a movie has caused you to feel physically and emotionally uncomfortable. The final scene in this film is heartbreaking, chilling, and incredibly unsettling. I will You don't realize just how much this movie has affected you until it is over, the credits are rolling, Howard Shore's subtly haunting score is playing softly, and you realize that for the first time in a long time, a movie has caused you to feel physically and emotionally uncomfortable. The final scene in this film is heartbreaking, chilling, and incredibly unsettling. I will not tell you exactly what it contains, but I will say that it is no sort of "twist" ending and it is almost entirely silent. That one scene is enough to put this movie well onto my "Best of 2005" list, but the rest is what really cements its place. Cronenberg plays the audience like a fiddle for an hour and a half, taking our desensitization against violence on film and throwing it in our faces so that we can no longer look away. The experience of watching this in a crowded theater is exhilarating, as it seems the entire audience is sharing something very, very powerful. Great work from Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, William Hurt, and Ed Harris. See this if you have wondered where serious mainstream cinema has been hiding. Expand
  16. alicew.
    Oct 24, 2005
    one of the best movies i have seen in a long time.
  17. MikeG.
    Oct 4, 2005
    From the eerily silent first moments of the film, Cronenberg captures mood and never lets go of it throughout. A History of Violence might have been a mediocre gore fest in the hands of a lesser director, but Cronenberg keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire film and leaves you wondering about not only these characters and this story, but about the world we live in. From the eerily silent first moments of the film, Cronenberg captures mood and never lets go of it throughout. A History of Violence might have been a mediocre gore fest in the hands of a lesser director, but Cronenberg keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire film and leaves you wondering about not only these characters and this story, but about the world we live in. Viggo Mortensen slips marvelously into the lead role, capturing the duality of his life perfectly: there is an anonimity in his character that's delivered adroitly. There are some small holes in the plot, but you won't find yourself thinking about them until long after you leave the theater. William Hurt's performance is a little weird - is his character supposed to be funny? - but this is quibbling. A History of Violence is a movie worth seeing. Expand
  18. randyw.
    Oct 6, 2005
    A brilliant movie; one that makes the intelligent viewer question the place and role of violence in American society, regardless of circumstance. One can see the master touch of a director whose Canadian viewpoint and perspective on American life reveals much about the dark underside of that society.
  19. LingX.
    Oct 6, 2005
    A walking teapot that boiled and went on a killing spree. that's just about it.
  20. RJSamson
    Oct 7, 2005
    It's a movie about character. If someone else directed it, it may turn commercial. But Cronenberg's style has definitely drawn sincere realism to one of the best movies of the year. Subtle yet strong. What more can I say?
  21. DeWayneP.
    Sep 25, 2005
    Excellent film. May not be everyone's cup of tea, because it's talks about our relationship to violence and how it reflects who we are as a society. Seeing how seductive our temptations are towards violence and how we use it for sexual fulfilment, revenge, as well as how we decide right (whistle-blower) from wrong (stool pigeon), or is it the other way around? One should Excellent film. May not be everyone's cup of tea, because it's talks about our relationship to violence and how it reflects who we are as a society. Seeing how seductive our temptations are towards violence and how we use it for sexual fulfilment, revenge, as well as how we decide right (whistle-blower) from wrong (stool pigeon), or is it the other way around? One should approach this film not as an entertaining enterprise i.e. a Mel Gibson film, but as a film to give us pause and reflection as to who we are and have been. And it's okay, we can be reflective and critical and still be American...really...It's only a movie. Expand
  22. SebaD.
    Feb 1, 2006
    well done Maria Bello, beautiful performance you did. Now tell me if there s someone who really believe that Mortenesen was like "the carmelita descalza"?
  23. Jared
    Feb 20, 2006
    I'm sorry, if you think this movie is predictable and boring, then you weren't watching the same movie as I was. What I saw was a brilliant, haunting, shocking portrayal of the American Dream being ripped apart by violence and lies, leaving behind the ugly truth that can seeth beneath such "perfect" families. The belief that we can run from who we are and change without regard I'm sorry, if you think this movie is predictable and boring, then you weren't watching the same movie as I was. What I saw was a brilliant, haunting, shocking portrayal of the American Dream being ripped apart by violence and lies, leaving behind the ugly truth that can seeth beneath such "perfect" families. The belief that we can run from who we are and change without regard for our past is brutally ripped apart. What we are left with is a family who has to pick up the pieces and try to deal with the horrible truth revealed to them. Expand
  24. Sam
    Apr 7, 2006
    I thought this movie was excellently acted, directed and shot. Sure, if you just want mindless violence or cheap gags then steer clear. But if you're prepared to actually invest yourself in and engage with a film, pay attention off your own back instead of expecting it to do all the work for you then you'll find some amazing themes and thought-provoking angles. There are violent I thought this movie was excellently acted, directed and shot. Sure, if you just want mindless violence or cheap gags then steer clear. But if you're prepared to actually invest yourself in and engage with a film, pay attention off your own back instead of expecting it to do all the work for you then you'll find some amazing themes and thought-provoking angles. There are violent scenes in the film, but they serve a purpose rather than being arbitrary or superfluous, like in so many films. Expand
  25. JonD.
    May 6, 2006
    This movie was really really good. It was very different which is probably why so many people give it such a low rating. its either a love it or hate it movie. Let me say one thing GRAPHIC NOVEL. The violence is over the top because of this have you seen other graphic novel movies? Sin City perhaps or maybe Road To Perdistion ... the violence is over the top for a reason. That is why some This movie was really really good. It was very different which is probably why so many people give it such a low rating. its either a love it or hate it movie. Let me say one thing GRAPHIC NOVEL. The violence is over the top because of this have you seen other graphic novel movies? Sin City perhaps or maybe Road To Perdistion ... the violence is over the top for a reason. That is why some people dont understand it, because they dont know that its a graphic novel. The story is a little different as well and it probly wouldnt happen in real life but its not supposed to. Overall a very well done movie and most people will either love it or hate it. Expand
  26. MichaelK.
    Jun 10, 2006
    From what I understand, this movie was based on a graphic novel so it definitely has that comic book feel. Watch with an open mind and don't search for holes and you'll enjoy the film. I found myself caring about each character and at times I found the movie very tense. Be warned, both the sex and the violence are at 100%.
  27. PatT.
    Mar 21, 2007
    I am generally appalled by the gratuitous violence of so many films these days, yet still I found myself drawn to the flawed protagonist. In spite of its brute force, this is a nuanced movie, with scenes of extreme violence juxtaposed with domestic scenes of calm beauty. Even the brass score adds energy and tension, and the ending was a nice touch as well, with its lack of resolution but I am generally appalled by the gratuitous violence of so many films these days, yet still I found myself drawn to the flawed protagonist. In spite of its brute force, this is a nuanced movie, with scenes of extreme violence juxtaposed with domestic scenes of calm beauty. Even the brass score adds energy and tension, and the ending was a nice touch as well, with its lack of resolution but hint of hope. Ultimately, this film appeals to that very basic human satisfaction of seeing the bullies, mobsters, and thrill killers of the world get their due at the hands of the underdog. Expand
  28. jaymorris
    Apr 16, 2008
    The best film of the year, hands down. David Cronenberg's enthralling meditation on violence, and the duality of man's nature and his capacity to change, recalls Anthony Mann's Bend of the River. Mr. Cronenberg has found his James Stewart in Viggo Mortensen; his performance is absolutely mesmerizing. One hopes that this masterpiece launches more teamings of this supremelyThe best film of the year, hands down. David Cronenberg's enthralling meditation on violence, and the duality of man's nature and his capacity to change, recalls Anthony Mann's Bend of the River. Mr. Cronenberg has found his James Stewart in Viggo Mortensen; his performance is absolutely mesmerizing. One hopes that this masterpiece launches more teamings of this supremely accomplished director and his new leading man. Expand
  29. SeamusS
    Nov 15, 2005
    Brilliant, One of cronenburgs best.
  30. BitBurn
    Oct 11, 2005
    That one really caught me by surprise. Very intense, raw. Awesome screenplay. Perhaps not for everyone but I loved it.
  31. megw.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Liked it rather a lot, almost strangely so. Saw it last night and still musing on it. Very violent bloodshed interspersed with serious erotic moments, gorey but not mindlessly so. A couple of laughs, but definitely not a comedy-no idea where people got that impression- and not one to take the kids to, least not smallish kids, older teens maybe, if you're comfortable with them viewing Liked it rather a lot, almost strangely so. Saw it last night and still musing on it. Very violent bloodshed interspersed with serious erotic moments, gorey but not mindlessly so. A couple of laughs, but definitely not a comedy-no idea where people got that impression- and not one to take the kids to, least not smallish kids, older teens maybe, if you're comfortable with them viewing blood and sex. Not terribly predictable, enough twists and turns, done without beating one over the head with some moral perspective, which is refreshing. Worthwhile, different, not for the squeamish or easily offended. Expand
  32. SuzieH.
    Nov 1, 2005
    Loved it! Very graphic violence & sex.
  33. JayM.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Cronenberg's most complete and successful film to date, fabulous performances by the whole cast, wow wauw! So not a Hollywood production, this is a @#$! real movie!
  34. leah
    Nov 20, 2005
    One of the best movies of the year, so darkly funny that i found myself to be the only one in the theater laughing! Cronenburg has not dropped the ball yet in his lengthy career.
  35. Jonzi
    Oct 12, 2005
    To appreciate this movie you must view it as part of the revisionist western genre like Peckipah or the "urban revenge" movies like Dirty Harry. Lacking in humanity, cold and certainly doing nothing for Cronenbergs feminism credentials - I loved it!
  36. MarkB.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Despite the cold, clinical feel that David Cronenberg often brings to his horror and other films (and a similar reputation that he seems to enjoy cultivating in print), his best work includes a large dose of humanity to drive home his rather morose scientific themes and obsessions in ways that his more distanced work (Dead Ringers, eXistenZ, Spider) can't always do no matter how Despite the cold, clinical feel that David Cronenberg often brings to his horror and other films (and a similar reputation that he seems to enjoy cultivating in print), his best work includes a large dose of humanity to drive home his rather morose scientific themes and obsessions in ways that his more distanced work (Dead Ringers, eXistenZ, Spider) can't always do no matter how creepily fascinating or technically accomplished it may be. His adaptation of Stephen King's The Dead Zone has as much loss, poignancy and heartbreak as any movie made in the last 25 years; his all-time masterpiece The Fly wouldn't be nearly so resonant if it weren't as much a tragic romance as a gross-out horror classic. Not surprisingly, these two were his biggest box-office hits ever, and A History of Violence, which effectively jettisons the supernatural or science fiction elements while still dealing with many of Cronenberg's pet concerns, looks to join them. Small town family man and business owner Tom Stall (Viggo Mortensen) gets into more than he expected when he violently but understandably derails an attempt to rob his diner; nationwide notoriety, reporters and gangsters appear to threaten his perfect family life and maybe expose some less-than-savory truths that he'd vastly prefer remain submerged. (It's tough to discuss a film like this without tiptoeing into spoiler territory; on the other hand, if you've seen the trailer, you can probably guess the difference between a potential full-length movie and a 15-minute short subject.) Much of Cronenberg's previous work has dealt with, as a major theme or a subplot, parasitic invasive physical or mental forces that take over, dominate and often destroy their hosts; in Tom's case, said unwelcome elements could have been there all along, which is why I was less moved by his situation than that of his gentle, sensitive high-school son Jack (affectingly played by Ashton Holmes), who may or may not have inherited certain violent tendencies that he neither chose nor wants to have. Despite gripping (and often funny) supporting performances from Ed Harris, William Hurt, Maria Bello as Tom's wife (three cheers and an 'amen' for actresses who don't place any limitations on the sexual demands of the scripts they want to do!) and especially Mortensen himself, in a fascinating, career-redefining, coiled-spring performance that lends real ambiguity and danger to even the movie's early scenes, this effort is perhaps too linear and straightforward to fully engage Cronenberg's most devoted followers or to inspire repeat viewings as readily as his best mainstream work. But there's still plenty to absorb, appreciate and admire, although I have a feeling that the biggest discussion and debate--both among the film's surviving principal characters AND its audience--will inevitably occur after the closing credits have rolled. And it's impossible for me NOT to respect a film that questions the basic ethos of the action-film resumes of Charles Bronson, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme and pre-1980 Clint Eastwood by asking whether the so-called heroes of these films prevail because they have the forces of good and right on their side--or maybe because they're just a little bit better and more skillful at marshalling the forces of bad and wrong? Expand
  37. mitchellm
    Oct 18, 2005
    Wow, these last low reveiws show us how people don't know what a goood movie is, they'd rather see something like "the fog" or some nonesense like that. and say its " the best movie ever!", thes people need to be shown what a real masterpeice looks like, and this is one of them.
  38. ChadS.
    Oct 20, 2005
    I'll be the cheerleader, and next time, you be the man with a violent past. That scene on the stairwell is interesting because we've already seen the couple engage in role-playing when they have sex. Edie (Maria Bello) is like the Lorraine Bracco character in "Good Fellas" who admits to being turned-on when Henry (Ray Liotta) tells her to hide the gun. There's a darkness in I'll be the cheerleader, and next time, you be the man with a violent past. That scene on the stairwell is interesting because we've already seen the couple engage in role-playing when they have sex. Edie (Maria Bello) is like the Lorraine Bracco character in "Good Fellas" who admits to being turned-on when Henry (Ray Liotta) tells her to hide the gun. There's a darkness in Edie, too. If there's a flaw to "A History of Violence", it's the violence inflicted by Tom (Viggo Mortensen) on his victims because the rest of the film belies any graphic novel connection. Like fellow indie-director Richard Linklater, David Cronenberg mainstreams himself with dignity and class. Expand
  39. TrevorCotton
    Oct 22, 2005
    A History Of Violence works on so many levels with such convincing acting and a riveting story. Believe the hype this is one of the years best films!
  40. TimD.
    Oct 31, 2005
    I'm not generally a fan of Cronenberg's stuff. And I'm not generally a fan of film critics. I'm with them on this one, though -- I thought it was excellent,disquieting, staying with me afterward in a way many movies do not. And I find the number and vehemence of the negative viewer reviews here to be genuinely interesting. Ah, well. To each their own.
  41. TerryD.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Wow. What a thought-provoking, disturbing movie. You'll be thinking about this one long after you leave the theater, which is a good thing. Wow again.
  42. russw.
    Oct 3, 2005
    Gripping at times, very entertaining.
  43. ChaninderB.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Awsome...captivating, and so well done. Cronenberg is the man.
  44. Gnarles
    Oct 4, 2005
    Igonore the idiots on here - this is the real deal, folks.
  45. MondoQuantS.
    Oct 9, 2005
    A Masterpiece, but not for everybody. Those familiar with violence and the psychology will see much beneath the surface. Many before/after themes run through this film, leaving you to think days afterwards. The before/after sexual scenes between Tom and his wife are telling. The final scene of the family at the dinner table, trapped in the realization they are changed, never to be the A Masterpiece, but not for everybody. Those familiar with violence and the psychology will see much beneath the surface. Many before/after themes run through this film, leaving you to think days afterwards. The before/after sexual scenes between Tom and his wife are telling. The final scene of the family at the dinner table, trapped in the realization they are changed, never to be the same - no other good option - is haunting. Expand
  46. BoydP
    Oct 9, 2005
    A stunning and unsettling story of violence and how it affects and upsets the status quo. This is basically a character piece, which may be surprising to those expecting an action film. The violence is quick and brutal, the sex is raw and revealing, and the comedy is very dark. If you think the violence is the only interesting aspect of the film, perhaps that says more about you than it A stunning and unsettling story of violence and how it affects and upsets the status quo. This is basically a character piece, which may be surprising to those expecting an action film. The violence is quick and brutal, the sex is raw and revealing, and the comedy is very dark. If you think the violence is the only interesting aspect of the film, perhaps that says more about you than it does about the movie. Which, I think, is exactly the point the movie is making. Expand
  47. Aaron
    Sep 23, 2005
    "A History Of Violence" is something of a masterpiece and just about the best film Cronenberg has ever made. To reveal anything more would do the film a disservice. So far, it's the best picture of 2005 and something really spectacular will have to come out to displace it as such for me.
  48. NormG.
    Sep 24, 2005
    The backdrop of History of Violence is a small quiet Indiana town and family. So when the Violence comes the contrast is sharp and startling. You just don't know what is lurking below the surface. Though the story is predictable, the direction and performances keeps it from degenerating into tired gratuitous action-movie clichés. The scene that ends the film at first left me The backdrop of History of Violence is a small quiet Indiana town and family. So when the Violence comes the contrast is sharp and startling. You just don't know what is lurking below the surface. Though the story is predictable, the direction and performances keeps it from degenerating into tired gratuitous action-movie clichés. The scene that ends the film at first left me puzzled then it chilled and soon became almost redemptive. You won't know what hit you. Expand
  49. ChristinaV.
    Sep 27, 2005
    There is not one wasted moment in this superb film.
  50. JudyT.
    Sep 30, 2005
    Undecided whether or not I really liked this movie, but the acting elevated the predictable story. It's an incomplete movie with an unsatisfying ending.
  51. ShirleyC.
    Jan 26, 2006
    Modern classic since a clockwork orange issued. Another movie needs to think about human is evil.
  52. MichaelS.
    Jan 3, 2006
    A gripping comment on the subversive power of violence. A film that hangs the negative results out to dry along with the emotional sympathy generated by Tom/Joey. This is a must see for our adult generation.
  53. DanielC.
    Jan 4, 2006
    The best movie I watched this year.
  54. Jake
    Feb 2, 2006
    Probably my favorite movie of the year. Although it was pretty obvious from the trailers that "Tom Stahl" was more than just a nice guy. Probably the best use of VERY graphic violence and gore (since Saw at least......only kidding). But seriously, the killing scenes were shocking and compelling, especially the final showdown, which I won't ruin for those of you who haven't seen Probably my favorite movie of the year. Although it was pretty obvious from the trailers that "Tom Stahl" was more than just a nice guy. Probably the best use of VERY graphic violence and gore (since Saw at least......only kidding). But seriously, the killing scenes were shocking and compelling, especially the final showdown, which I won't ruin for those of you who haven't seen it. Viggo did a great job at playing two different characters.....why was he an unknown before LOTR? All in all, a great film with a resonating message. Expand
  55. Rick
    Mar 15, 2006
    It's good, here's a good idea to find good movies, get the ones that are 2 thumbs up. You'll never watch a bad movie again if you do that.
  56. AdanC.
    Mar 17, 2006
    Anyone who gives this movie a rating below 7, didn't get it. Trust me, I've read all the reviews. I think these people where expecting some simple movie like The Rundown or something, when in fact they got something much richer. Too bad they can't see it.
  57. JordanM.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Man, narrowmindedness is a bad thing. But as always, some people hate things and some people love things. This movie, i felt was a much needed break from the norm of films today with a realistic feel and a great plot that made you interested in all the character's thoughts. Although the shootout scenes are short, they are VERY satisfying. Also, the ending is a bit unsatisfying, some Man, narrowmindedness is a bad thing. But as always, some people hate things and some people love things. This movie, i felt was a much needed break from the norm of films today with a realistic feel and a great plot that made you interested in all the character's thoughts. Although the shootout scenes are short, they are VERY satisfying. Also, the ending is a bit unsatisfying, some apologies were in order from him. Expand
  58. LanceT.
    Mar 25, 2006
    The subtle tones given off by this movie are brilliant. DC has held back his usual difficult to understand plot lines and given us a character driven Marvel. Although you know Tom has been a naughty boy, you want to see him do it again and again.
  59. WalkenM.
    Mar 27, 2006
    In A History of Violence, Cronenberg sets out to criticize the very laziness responsible for the popular backlash against this incisive and compassionate film. Only those with no understanding of subtext could determine the film empty beyond its pointed exaggerations of American culture. Cronenberg problematizes the notion of redemption through brutality, ultimately questioning the In A History of Violence, Cronenberg sets out to criticize the very laziness responsible for the popular backlash against this incisive and compassionate film. Only those with no understanding of subtext could determine the film empty beyond its pointed exaggerations of American culture. Cronenberg problematizes the notion of redemption through brutality, ultimately questioning the stability of a society so willing to forgive, and even embrace, the notion of ends-justifying-means violence. Far beyond a purposeless condemnation, Cronenberg composes a cultural critique that does not insult our intelligence, exposing instead an establishing violence that indicts all civilized societies. A History of Violence Expand
  60. MarcB.
    Mar 20, 2006
    A great B movie that raises questions many A movies dont know how to raise. Stellar performances all around, especially from the two leads. A Norman Rockwell vision of America on the surface cant hide the kill em all, Faustian demons lurking beneath the surface. Cronenberg does an excellent job of making us mentally involved in the violence and with skillful editing and cinematography A great B movie that raises questions many A movies dont know how to raise. Stellar performances all around, especially from the two leads. A Norman Rockwell vision of America on the surface cant hide the kill em all, Faustian demons lurking beneath the surface. Cronenberg does an excellent job of making us mentally involved in the violence and with skillful editing and cinematography shows the act of violence with quick and brutal speed. Can a killer change? Old habits die hard. Expand
  61. BarryW.
    Mar 31, 2006
    Great Story. Fight scenes are nice and violent and a great performance from vigo.
  62. AaronH.
    Apr 10, 2006
    I can not understand how anyone could watch this movie and give it a rating below a 7. I personally think it deserves a 10. One of the best movies Ive seen because it has a mainstream entertainment quality while also creating an undercurrent of dark and disturbing feeling about the consequences of violence and how a violent past is difficult to escape. I love this movie because it I can not understand how anyone could watch this movie and give it a rating below a 7. I personally think it deserves a 10. One of the best movies Ive seen because it has a mainstream entertainment quality while also creating an undercurrent of dark and disturbing feeling about the consequences of violence and how a violent past is difficult to escape. I love this movie because it entertained me while tapping my emotions and making me think about family, love, and the secrets we all hide. Expand
  63. RuthR.
    Jul 2, 2006
    I loved the subtlety of the performances throughout this beautifully made movie, I loved the silences free from music which allowed the viewers to think and absorb, and I loved the main character who is essentially so much like the man I am married to, and I love that I picked up in that final scene the tiny innuendo that no one else has noticed nor agrees, upon second viewing, is there. I loved the subtlety of the performances throughout this beautifully made movie, I loved the silences free from music which allowed the viewers to think and absorb, and I loved the main character who is essentially so much like the man I am married to, and I love that I picked up in that final scene the tiny innuendo that no one else has noticed nor agrees, upon second viewing, is there. This bothers me not in the least. I know it was there. I saw it, I believe it, and I felt it every time I saw it - four times now. I could never be convinced otherwise, and the fact of it and my sure and certain knowledge of it, makes me feel just a tiny bit superior. There are few things in life that I ever feel superior about - I'm going to keep this one close to my heart and try never to forget it. Expand
  64. NickA.
    Mar 27, 2007
    Reading some of the reviews I'm beginning to wonder whether there are two versions of this film! This was a superb insight into marriage, betrayal, revenge and the darker side of the human spirit. It asks some interesting questions mainly just how much will we forgive for love, can we ever truly leave our past behind, can we be two people at the same time, and for parents practice Reading some of the reviews I'm beginning to wonder whether there are two versions of this film! This was a superb insight into marriage, betrayal, revenge and the darker side of the human spirit. It asks some interesting questions mainly just how much will we forgive for love, can we ever truly leave our past behind, can we be two people at the same time, and for parents practice what you preach! The inter-play between Mortensen and his wife is superb,perhaps the best scene is the understated last reel. So subtle but so brilliant. A great film and a major return to form by David Cronenberg. Expand
  65. RaymondG
    Sep 6, 2007
    Excellent, gripping film! Very complex and moving. Loved the performances of all the main characters, especially Viggo Mortensen's. His character's dilemma is related to that of Matt Damon's in "The Bourne Identity." Very taut and economical. I will remember it for a long time. Maria Bello and William Hurt also do wonderful jobs.
  66. NK.
    Apr 19, 2008
    Absorbing and well made. I agree with critic, it do agree with some critic it does not add any great understanding. I guess my expectations were incorrect.
  67. SamS.
    Nov 11, 2005
    Woo hoo.
  68. MikeL.
    Nov 11, 2005
    C'mon people - METAPHOR! The look of the film, the performances and the story play with/twist standardized forms from the inside out. Its supposed to feel awkward and stilted, that's the idea! The film can feel uncomfortable to watch cuz it mirrors our own superficial, hair's breadth distance from a history of the worst kind of violence. From apehood to rape to the miriad C'mon people - METAPHOR! The look of the film, the performances and the story play with/twist standardized forms from the inside out. Its supposed to feel awkward and stilted, that's the idea! The film can feel uncomfortable to watch cuz it mirrors our own superficial, hair's breadth distance from a history of the worst kind of violence. From apehood to rape to the miriad abuses of power, the human race is still in its infancy and we're still dealing with all this stuff. This movie sheds a light on a culture which was to a large degree born of violence. Its a difficult film - sometimes difficult films are good - great in this case. Expand
  69. LeeG.
    Oct 10, 2005
    Well, this film was not great the first time you watch it, in fact it is awful, that is, if you go in watching it not having know anything about it in the first place! However, apon watching it again, and reading directors and producers notes, i must say this film is one to watch. It can be very easily misunderstood, but it is, and will be for a long time, a masterclass at showing the Well, this film was not great the first time you watch it, in fact it is awful, that is, if you go in watching it not having know anything about it in the first place! However, apon watching it again, and reading directors and producers notes, i must say this film is one to watch. It can be very easily misunderstood, but it is, and will be for a long time, a masterclass at showing the hidden secrets in everybody - and not just the violent past of this ex-mobster. It wasn't perfect by a long way, for example the girl they used as viggo mortensen's daughter was terrible, and the son had his moments of good acting - but they were few and fair! It was horrifically violent, but then that was kind of the point of the film too! See it, but maybe see it twice before commenting! Expand
  70. janiej
    Nov 10, 2005
    Viggo Mortensen captures this complicated character very effectively. This movie should receive a 10 for the sex scene alone. That scene is a 5 minute mini-movie conveying the complex feelings of both characters without a spoken word. Excellant film.
  71. brianm
    Oct 10, 2005
    Masterpiece. Run, do not walk, to this picture. The best film since Lord of the Rings, and not because they share similar scores.
  72. timothyk.
    Oct 11, 2005
    If you don't love this movie then you should have your head checked. Rawness and simplicity are the point. Dirty Harry meets Unbreakable.
  73. JobA>
    Oct 11, 2005
    Very good and unexpected.The acting and story was terrific!
  74. thewiseking
    Oct 11, 2005
    A brilliant Cronenberg art film which plays like a populist melodrama. This film works on every level. The casting is absolutely first rate, and the screenplay is brilliant. The film flies by in around 90 minutes, unlike most of the tedious, overwrought 2 hours plus crap we feel like walking out of nowadays. Several hours after seeing it, you start to like it even more, It is profound and A brilliant Cronenberg art film which plays like a populist melodrama. This film works on every level. The casting is absolutely first rate, and the screenplay is brilliant. The film flies by in around 90 minutes, unlike most of the tedious, overwrought 2 hours plus crap we feel like walking out of nowadays. Several hours after seeing it, you start to like it even more, It is profound and thought provoking as well as entertaining. Expand
  75. zackseymour
    Nov 21, 2005
    It's pure Cronenberg. Take it or leave it.
  76. BobX
    Oct 12, 2005
    A thinking man's movie that doesn't end when the credit's roll. Put simply, if you are the kind of person who can sit through an Adam Sandler film, or worse yet, enjoy it, then this film is clearly not for you. The film is a living, breathing critique of itself and the people who gave this film low reviews. It's about the victory of the primal and the stupid over the A thinking man's movie that doesn't end when the credit's roll. Put simply, if you are the kind of person who can sit through an Adam Sandler film, or worse yet, enjoy it, then this film is clearly not for you. The film is a living, breathing critique of itself and the people who gave this film low reviews. It's about the victory of the primal and the stupid over the intelligent and gentle. And while the plot itself may be fairly straightforward, the subtext for what is occuring on screen has delighted me and my friends for days now in discussion. To put it on familiar terms, the movie is a very good approximation of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness,a much better representation than any of the films that lay claim to that name. The camera-work itself is very amazing, it moves slowly and majestically like the story does at the beginning. Giving a very gentle and relaxing atmosphere and the musical score follows suit. The pacing perfectly depicts the change in the life of Stall (Viggo) and his family as their instincts overwhelm their good nature. The camerawork becomes insular and even violent at times, justly reflecting the changes of the family. Mortesen and Harris both give great perfomances acting but it's really Bello and Hurt who you remember afterwards. Hurt steals the show for his brief performances and most of the discussion of plot wll end up centering around Bello. In the end it is very simlilar to the third act of adaptation where the movie itself becomes what it criticizes and ultimately I think the subtext is much to complex and subtle for the average movie goer these days. Don't worry kids, there will be another Adam Sandler flick out as soon. Expand
  77. AnonymousMC
    Oct 13, 2005
    Superlative directing, editing and acting. Although probably intended to appeal to a mainstream audience, this film nonetheless is vintage Cronenberg, with all the psychological tension and visceral thrills wrapping up a philosophical theme, in this case determinism vs. free will. Not a single frame is wasted in this film: when the final credits roll, you might guess the running time wasSuperlative directing, editing and acting. Although probably intended to appeal to a mainstream audience, this film nonetheless is vintage Cronenberg, with all the psychological tension and visceral thrills wrapping up a philosophical theme, in this case determinism vs. free will. Not a single frame is wasted in this film: when the final credits roll, you might guess the running time was fifteen minutes. From a great director, another fine effort which will reward attentive and intelligent viewers. Expand
  78. DS
    Oct 14, 2005
    A fantastic piece of work, with both excellent acting and a gripping story that draws the viewer in. Highly recommended.
  79. PatridiaG.
    Oct 17, 2005
    I'm usually one who canno watch a violent movie; however, even tho 13 paople meeet grisley deaths, the acting in this movie kept me glued to my seat. The tension was palpable and I loved the non-hollywood ending. You are allowed to make up ;y;our own or realize that life goes on and doesn't end with the credits of a film.
  80. RaphaelC.
    Oct 17, 2005
    Viggo Mortensen delivers one of the best performances I've ever seen, in what might be the best movie of the year.
  81. JimmyE.
    Dec 1, 2005
    It's so awesome.
  82. NickH
    Oct 2, 2005
    Did you like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"? Planning on seeing "Into the Blue" this week? Have you seen, and loved, "Just Like Heaven" and "cry_wolf"? Then don't see this movie. If you like your movies generic, formulaic, and uninspired stay at home and rent "Robots". This is, hands down, one of the best movies of the year. Cronenberg strikes again with another whacked-out and amazing Did you like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"? Planning on seeing "Into the Blue" this week? Have you seen, and loved, "Just Like Heaven" and "cry_wolf"? Then don't see this movie. If you like your movies generic, formulaic, and uninspired stay at home and rent "Robots". This is, hands down, one of the best movies of the year. Cronenberg strikes again with another whacked-out and amazing movie. Mortensen proves he's more than Aragorn in his great preformance. Hurt, Harris, and Bello are great in their supporting roles. Realize that this movie is NOT for everyone, before you go. Just because it's called "A History of Violence" doesn't mean it's an action movie, get it through your head before you go. It's not conventional, it's way out there... but, if you didn't know that when you heard Cronenberg in the trailers - stay out of the theatres. Expand
  83. A.S.Christensen
    Dec 27, 2005
    The film of the year. Great acting. It get better every time,you see it.
  84. MarcusG
    Oct 22, 2005
    As perfectly paced as the best Hitchcock thriller. Then, to that "A grade", add such a unique agenda, worthy and absorbing. Cronenberg makes A History of Violence an undeniably fantastic film. It's an A+.
  85. SHFB
    Dec 5, 2005
    I think the main reason so many people gave this a low-rating is that the title led them to expect your typical cinematic bloodbath. You're not going to get that with "History," although it is, in fact, quite violent. This is a movie that requires you to think and not merely to be entertained. It throws a number of curveballs - causing you to question your assumptions and I think the main reason so many people gave this a low-rating is that the title led them to expect your typical cinematic bloodbath. You're not going to get that with "History," although it is, in fact, quite violent. This is a movie that requires you to think and not merely to be entertained. It throws a number of curveballs - causing you to question your assumptions and expectations. I was blown away by the writing, acting and directing. Honestly. I can't think of one criticism. Bottom Line: This movie is not for everyone. If you aren't looking to be challenged by a movie, give this one a miss. Because if you can't see the deep social/cinematic critique and instead take it all on the most literal level, you're going to be very very disappointed, as apparently were many of these viewers. It's a shame, really. Hollywood needs more movies like this, not fewer, and those looking for, as one viewer put it, "cool violence," have far too much say in what movies do and don't get made. Expand
  86. KeatonK.
    Oct 25, 2005
    Startlingly affective. Cronenbergs expressionistic stylings devastate and arrest.
  87. Whaddyaknow
    Oct 25, 2005
    I've raely seen such a divisive film. Look at these reviews! Almost split directly between 9/10s and 1/2s. Some would say that's the sign of a truly great movie. Others would say half of the population are dumb. Either half. I'd say that this is a superb movie with plenty going on and some truly wonderful moments. People complaining about the sugar-sweet town and the I've raely seen such a divisive film. Look at these reviews! Almost split directly between 9/10s and 1/2s. Some would say that's the sign of a truly great movie. Others would say half of the population are dumb. Either half. I'd say that this is a superb movie with plenty going on and some truly wonderful moments. People complaining about the sugar-sweet town and the cartoon gangsters are sort of missing the point. It's ok to work with cleverly set-up stereotypes if they work in the context of your film. And boy do they work. See it for yourelf - you'll either see one of the best of the year, or you'll be thoroughly entertained telling people why it's so terrible when you come out. You can't lose! Expand
  88. DanM.
    Oct 26, 2005
    Maybe its cause i read the comic first but this is grade A stuff. cronibergs best.
  89. Geeder
    Oct 27, 2005
    Very disturbing movie but extremely well done. Violent (duh) and very well acted. The facial acting of Ms Bello gave the viewer a lot to think about. The teenage son was believable (as I have one). The younger sister was not as well acted but she wasn't in the film that often. I think about the film often and that to me is the mark of a good film. Not for the queasy or sexually embarassed.
  90. JH
    Oct 28, 2005
    A fantastic movie. The ending, and how it loops back onto a previous discussion early on in the movie, is excellent. Cronenberg takes clear cliches and weaves them together into a sly, humorous movie that also pulls no punches in the violence. Wonderful movie with wit and style - a must see for people who appreciate something different, unique and without a number after the title.
  91. TorvC.
    Oct 3, 2005
    One of the best films this year. Cronenberg is at the top of his form eliciting wonderfully nuanced performances out of his cast with a singularly focused sense of direction. This is my favorite kind of film -- one that resonates in your brain long after you've left the theater. SEE THIS MOVIE!
  92. Jeff
    Oct 5, 2005
    This movie grabbed your attention from the first minute and never let go. I am glad I read nothing about it before seeing it, as that made every scene in the movie more memorable.
  93. HenryM.
    Oct 7, 2005
    This is movie is not for children. As far as adults are concerned, it has plenty of gore and several sex scenes that made everyone in the theater feel shy about. This movie is an entertaining movie but during the second act of the movie several scenes take place that lead the audience to believe the movie is coming to an end. Because of this the final act seemed anti-climatic. When we This is movie is not for children. As far as adults are concerned, it has plenty of gore and several sex scenes that made everyone in the theater feel shy about. This movie is an entertaining movie but during the second act of the movie several scenes take place that lead the audience to believe the movie is coming to an end. Because of this the final act seemed anti-climatic. When we left we were not sure if we liked the movie or not. We felt unsatisfied if you will. Nevertheless, it was entertaining. Expand
  94. DaveP
    Oct 7, 2005
    If you think Boondock Saints is a great movie, you will dislike this. Because you have terrible taste. Otherwise, step right up to Cronenberg's celebration of the use of violence in American culture in all of its subversively non-subversive glory. Stands with Nobody Knows and Last Days as one of the most nuanced, poetic films of the year.
  95. MarcK.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Very interesting and unique, and probably one of the Year's Best 10, although this has been one of the most horrendous years for hoping to watch good movies. Ed Harris is great as always, but am clueless as to why people are raving about William Hurt. His scenes seemed like an add-on...I would have ended the film before his call. Also, if you're going to put a William Hurt in at Very interesting and unique, and probably one of the Year's Best 10, although this has been one of the most horrendous years for hoping to watch good movies. Ed Harris is great as always, but am clueless as to why people are raving about William Hurt. His scenes seemed like an add-on...I would have ended the film before his call. Also, if you're going to put a William Hurt in at the end, don't run the cast stars until the end of the picture. You know William Hurt is going to be in the picture, so you know the film can't be ending until he appears. Expand
  96. nancyL
    Oct 8, 2005
    I'm really shocked at so many of the negative reviews here. Yes, the ending lacks resolution, but that's entirely the point! I thought it was an extremely powerful ending and I couldn't stop thinking about the movie for days afterwards. There are so many layers to it that I know I'll have to see it again. The acting is wonderful in its subtlety. If you think acting I'm really shocked at so many of the negative reviews here. Yes, the ending lacks resolution, but that's entirely the point! I thought it was an extremely powerful ending and I couldn't stop thinking about the movie for days afterwards. There are so many layers to it that I know I'll have to see it again. The acting is wonderful in its subtlety. If you think acting means scenery-chewing, then you won't like this film. And the 2 sex scenes are not gratuitous in the slightest. In fact they are integral to the film and to understanding the 2 main characters. One of the scenes is raw and disturbing, yes, but again, it's supposed to be. There are so many emotions on display in that one scene and the actors did a fantastic job. If you just want stylized "movie" violence, "movie" sex complete with some love theme pop song playing and a Hollywood ending, then this film is not for you. The film uses noir, Western and action thriller elements with great success but it's essentially a drama about what happens to one small-town family when violence enters their lives. It's also about the choices we make and how they not only affect us but those around us. And it's about so many other things. Just go see it. Expand
    Oct 8, 2005
    The very best film that I have seen this year so far. Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, William Hurt, and the rest of the cast deserve Oscar nominations. Ditto to Thomas Newman for his beautiful score and Cronenberg for directing his best film ever. The cinematography and film editing were unparalleled. Great script.
  98. sM
    Oct 9, 2005
    Very similar to the Coen bros.' "Blood Simple". Not as good.
  99. AdamSinger
    Brilliant.

Cronenberg holds up a mirror, but he leaves it up to us to recoil at what we see.
  2. Clever and fast-paced thriller.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Lack of depth, complexity or strangeness make this a relatively routine entry for the director.