8.7

1. Oct 7, 2012
    I think critics are only looking for the edgier type of movies and can't see the art in making a movie that is sentimental...but what is wrong with sentimentality? I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and others of this nature as a way to turn off my brain distracted by all the loud, violent and sexy types or the horror genre, maybe because I am older, but I have always loved these types and believe they have a place in the world of cine. Vanessa shines in this and I am so glad she is still around to make these movies. Expand

1. With its mystical mumbo jumbo and even a helpful beam of celestial light in one scene, A Rumor of Angels is a kind of cinematic comfort food for an undemanding audience.
  2. As A Rumor of Angels reveals itself to be a sudsy tub of supernatural hokum, not even Ms. Redgrave's noblest efforts can redeem it from hopeless sentimentality.
  3. The emotional aspects of the story are treated with such a heavy hand, the supernatural aspects are so vague and uninvolving, and the group dynamic is so unconvincing that one can't quite imagine why anybody bothered.