8.0

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "About Time" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Very well done and well acted, "About Time" is touching, funny, and sentimental without being sappy. Domhnall Gleeson was excellent in a lead role and Bill Nighty was amazing (as usual) as his father. The characters are fleshed out and you easily grow attached to them. One of the more surprising films of 2013.

The Bad: What
    prevents the film from being truly great is the inconsistencies found in the story. Early on you are given very clear cut rules for time travel, but more than halfway through the film those rules are inexplicably tossed aside. I can overlook something like that to an extent, but in this case it is so blatant and frequent that I just can't ... especially after they went to such lengths to make the rules clear to us. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    Flawed but fascinating, About Time is emotional, heartfelt and sentimental at the same time and manages to balance a good plot which fortunately never feels like a rom-com as the previews would suggest.
  3. Nov 9, 2014
    Absolutely extraordinary!
    Great act by all the players and most of all stunning direction and writing by Richard Curtis.
    The film is quite slowly but it's more than fit it, I recommend highly watching this film alone while imagining yourself as the main actor.
  4. Oct 30, 2014
    ABOUT TIME is one half snappy romance and another half family drama which lures us into the tutelage of some very beneficial “Chicken Soup for the Soul“ truisms like “value your life and live everyday fully", "notice the beauty in the small things around you” and “be brave to say goodbye to the beloved and move on”, such and such. And under the sine qua non of a time-travel set-up.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  5. Oct 20, 2014
    Watched this movie last night and can't believe the poor reviews I'm finding on here! While it did start off a little slow, it was extremely well crafted with a brilliant storyline. I actually couldn't stop crying even after the movie was over! It was a sweet love story (can't imagine any movie with Rachel McAdams not being just that!) and also included a very special bond between father and son. I'm shocked so many people didn't like this movie!! I absolutely loved it!! Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    About Time is a curious look at time-travel and the ability to fine-tune moments of one's past. Curtis challenges us to become emotional invested and succeeds. Rachel McAdams is as magical as ever.
  7. Aug 27, 2014
    About Time is a well crafted feel good movie. When the movie ends you will be smiling from ear to ear. I was very interested in Tim's trek through life with the ability to travel in time, but it is also not perfect. He still had to deal with hardships over his life. Its the perfect mix of romance comedy and drama. I really enjoyed Bill Nighy in the role of the father in the movie.
  8. Aug 15, 2014
    I am confused, one side i am thinking that how you can so oversimplify the time travel and it's relevance and on the other side i find the basic theme of the movie very beautiful. It's freshness is the biggest attraction as well as the biggest drawback. But still it's a beautiful drama if we just ignore our normal mindset towards time travel.
  9. Jul 16, 2014
    What an ending.... so weird. How on earth they made the ending so flat? It feels like being left alone in the middle of the tour or this traveling thing. It's sweet, full of cute chats, and natural laughs. The movie nailed to make me falls in love with the man character. But, the ending, was easily to forget. So, the whole movie made me remember all of them, but when people asked me of the ending, I bet I'll answer, "What ending?"

They shouldn't end it. I refuse the ending of this movie.
  10. Jun 15, 2014
    I will introduce you about a movie which name is “About Time.“ The movie is a romantic comedy of Domhnal Gleeson who is famous for Harry Potter series and Rachel McAdams who is famous for Sherlock Holmes series. A main character who is a boy lives in a small town has a terrific magic. The magic is a skill of time traveling. After his father told him they have a skill of it, the boy always travels time whenever he wants. The boy wants to meet a true love. Then one day, he met an attractive girl at a bar. They fall in each other in first sight. They loved truly and got married. The whole story is about like this. I feel really cozy while watching the movie. The movie gave me a kind of tip to find a good partner. Before I watch the movie, I thought the only thing important of my lifetime companion is apperance. However, I realized that the more important than appearance is inner side beauty. In these sense, “About Time“ is didactic movie for people who fine their lover. Expand
  11. Jun 2, 2014
    It turns out that the movie is not about a love story. It’s more about fatherhood. It’s a shame it had to sell the love story part in its promotion to get people watching this movie.

The directing and the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. In terms of directing, this is a wonderful swan song for Richard Curtis’ directing career.

However, the story lacked strong conflict. The
    love story in this movie did not have any conflict at all. It seemed like it’s too much of a perfect romantic story, which felt unrealistic.

And the plot holes in this story is very noticeable. To get my point, I had to list down the time traveling rules, applied in the movie.

1-)Only male members of the family can travel in time.: This rule was broken when Tim traveled way back in time from the beginning of the movie with his sister, Kit Kat. The question why Kit Kat was allowed to time travel as long as she is with her brother is not answered.
    2-)Only travel to the past is possible: This rule was broken when Tim arrives in the past and then goes back to the present time. The question why Tim cannot go to the future, but can go back to the present is not answered.
    3-)It is impossible to go back in time before you were born: The first rule that wasn’t broken.
    4-)Traveling back to a time before your child is born will cause a different child to be born and the original child will be lost: And the last rule that wasn’t broken either.

With these plot holes and the story lacking conflict makes the movie a bit boring to watch.

The humor, however, saved the movie. It was funny and smartly written.

While this time traveling romantic-comedy movie is not memorable, its humor, charm and beautiful setting will remain you to watch the movie until the credits roll.
  12. May 11, 2014
    A film you fall in love with even knowing their are some small time travel issues. The acting is top notch the music is great and the film left me really adoring it. A-
  13. Apr 6, 2014
    My husband and I enjoyed this movie very much. It was charming, sweet, funny and clever. Loved the characters. How refreshing to watch a movie that doesn't leave you in the doldrums. We liked it so much we invited our friends to watch it with us again. They loved it, too. I would like to see more movies like this produced. We are tired of the violence, ugliness, and darkness of most movies produced today. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    The great subtlety of the film is what makes it great. We do not need anything more than the characters, we dont want to know anything except for where they go, how they will act or react, that's where we run into the biggest hit of About Time, you care about these people.
  15. Mar 27, 2014
    Man, what a nice lil film. did you like "the time travelers wife"? did you like "the butterfly effect"? how about mixing the 2 together, adding Bill Nighy and Rachel Mcadams to the cast, and you get a lovely film. granted, the first 30 mins are a little "long" but you'll like it in the long run!
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    i did not see the ending which was a bummer . i wish i can travel in time to fix my mistakes but i can't. i love rachel mcadams and i love this film . i am in 6th grade and i want my future to be perfect and have a good child and have a good wife thats why i am so nervous about the future you never know if your gonna have a good future or not . thats why i love this film here's why its about love , time , romance , and a good life . Expand
  17. Mar 16, 2014
    I watch a great many movies, and am usually disappointed, bored or frantic about the amount of money that was spent in order to make such drivel. And then along comes pure entertainment, wrapped in a neat little packaged called ABOUT TIME. If I don't nod off during the first quarter of the film - if I am totally engaged - laughing out loud all by myself -- weeping a few tears of joy at perfect moments in the film -- then I will be happy and feel that it was money well spent. I rarely urge others to see a film because we all have different tastes. My taste is: if I am entertained, made to feel good, and if I watch the credits rise up on the screen with a feeling of having been totally whisked away to a better world -- then I am happy. Forget American Hustle, forget Django Unchained; come away with a good taste in your mouth for once and watch ABOUT TIME. Well done! Expand
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie sucked. It was slow, dull, sappy, overly sentimental...I was so bored. I understand it was a romantic drama, and maybe that's just not my cup of tea, but I thought it needed more light hearted laughs to keep my interest. Not much happened, and it was mainly a real downer. I did like the actors, so that's one good thing, but I felt like this movie was a waste of money overall. I should have watched something else. Expand
  19. Feb 26, 2014
    Saw this on a flight and I am glad I did as it was not a movie I heard of. The premise seems pretty cheesey. Even the first 30 minutes is pretty cheesey in nature as well-predictable and a story that has already been told. But the story turns to a more family oriented,family saving ordeal with feeling in that the viewer can identify with the predictament the family begins to face. If you begin to watch this, give the slow moving tale some time Expand
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    Whoever gave this review less than 11/10, is a complete idiot because this is one of the best movies ever created. I laughed, I cried (a lot) and I'm a male....and straight...I only created this account on Metacritic to rate this movie...will also probably rate others. While I'm here, Inception and Butterfly effect were awesome
  21. Jan 20, 2014
    About Time was surprisingly watchable. The genre is not my thing and the romance and dialogue can be cheesy but it kept me engaged. The film had a nice lesson about love, a good premise, and some good acting. I wouldn’t recommend this movie to everyone as it is a chick-flick/date movie and romantic comedies are more a woman’s thing. However, if you are stuck watching this movie and you are a dude it is not that bad. If you want to see a great romantic comedy watch When Harry Met Sally or if you want to see a great love story about life watch Up (especially the first ten minutes). This is a chick-flick for girls but the film is watchable. Expand
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    Light movie, enjoyable flic, where nothing bad happens. Good watch with ye' girlfriend or aunt. Time travel adds a nice twist, tough not very consistend plot.
  23. Jan 19, 2014
    Very bad made movie. Old tricks, awful actings, long and boring "going-back-to-the-past" over and over again, not reflecting the truth of a real life (at least doesn't convince me). Totally a waste of my time. And it's definitely the worst movie I've seen in 2013.
  24. Jan 16, 2014
    Albeit not being incredible, it's a good-intentions film for happy minds and people who don't want to be too involved when watching a film. It's true, everyone would wish to have Tim's gift, and the flaws in the time travel rules explained throughout the film didn't actually bother me at all. It's not a film about time travel at all, it's just a romantic comedy where a man has the chance to do things over and over till they're the way he wants them.

Stupefied by the fact that Rachel McAdams would take on a role in "Time Traveller's Wife" and then in "About Time", but whatever works for her. Bill Nighy is spectacular as always. Gleeson is not much but he's supposed to be the average man so that kind of fits.

Rom-com with no dentist required, it's okay. And Uncle Desmond's character is brilliant.
  25. Jan 16, 2014
  26. Jan 14, 2014
    When someone mentions time travel, this is not the movie you will think about. When someone mentions father-son relationship, this is not the movie you will think about. When someone says romance, this movie won't come to mind. In conclusion, there is nothing memorable about the film. It's got a very faulty time-travel premise and very under-developed characters except for the lead character of Tim. Richard Curtis could, no, should do better. We all know, he can... Expand
  27. Jan 14, 2014
    10/10 after watching thousands of moves, I think I might dare say this, I might watch it again... Just for the sake of it, ok now i'm just exending this to
  28. Jan 3, 2014
    this a story of a guy who for some reason can not find a girlfriend while living in London. To get one this poor sod has to resort to time travel Sounds like it can be a funny movie except for it tries to be a drama and completely fails at that as no one in the right mind can take this story seriously nor is there any emotional attachment to any of the main characters.
  29. Dec 8, 2013
    In regards to the film “About Time”...

In this age of out-of-this-world ridiculous visual effects, computer graphics, action stunts and massive Hollywood blockbuster productions worth hundreds of millions of dollars, we get this subtle little film “About Time”, which offers us the complete opposite of what we, as an audience, have come to expect from Hollywood to entertain us. The film
    is exquisitely scripted, backed by tremendous performances by the actors, especially by Bill Nighy, and most of all, the film gives us a dose of deep, meaningful emotional roller coaster.
    At the beginning, we find that the central character’s family has a deep secret: the men of that family are able to travel back in time. This makes one skeptical of the entire movie: haven’t we already had a story like this before? From this point on, it seems as though the plot and the dialogue of the rest of the film are like a subtle closing argument as to why that time travel aspect is not really an important aspect of the film, although it does affect the story.
    Another misconception of this film is that while it seems like a story of a man and a woman falling in love, it really is about the relationship between a father and a son. Their storyline pretty much outclasses and overshadows every other storyline of the film. From that prior skepticism when we first hear about the time travelling ability, as the story unfolds and the plot thickens, the audience becomes emotionally manhandled. Why? Because of love.
    We see the chase for love, the choices that are made for and because of love, the consequences of love, and finally, the hardest part for us humans when we deal with love: knowing when to let go and have the courage to move on after losing love. That skepticism that I mentioned about at the beginning of the film? It dramatically changes into support, with the audience longing for the son to use his abilities more and more. You can sense, hear and feel the emotional wreckage going on in the theater, not because of the romance between a husband and wife, but because, for most of us, we don’t have that loving relationship depicted here between father and son.
    This movie couldn’t have come to Korea at a better time. With Christmas almost here, it’s almost as though this film has come to remind us that with the time we have, maybe we need to focus on what is really important to us. Even in a materialistic society like Korea, maybe this movie can remind us and help us move in the right direction little by little.
  30. Nov 24, 2013
    In the format of a chick-flick, "About Time" should not be mistaken for one. Intimate and heart warming, yet a surefire tear jerker, the film gives us an original storyline and a beautiful (as always) Rachel McAdams. A feel-good movie for the ladies AND their dates.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    Maybe it's a touch twee, but Curtis' film is far too uplifting, too life-affirming and too good-natured to do anything but embrace.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 7, 2013
    There’s a lot of comic and fantasy potential here, but much of it gets squandered.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Nov 6, 2013
    What Rachel McAdams is doing in this nonsense is anyone's guess, but she must realize that the long journey from "Mean Girls" to Mary, with her mousy bangs and her timid pleas counts as a serious descent. [11 Nov. 2013, p.90]