5.9

1. Oct 18, 2013
    I figured the critic score for this movie would have bombed, but I wasn't expecting the user scores to be so lukewarm either.

I found this movie to be a great use of time. It has everything a person could want! Lincoln taking on vampires? What's not to love? I found it to be great. My disappointment is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't show anything about the end of Lincoln's life, which is alright I suppose, but it's just something they could have added and made it more awesome, like Lincoln going to a theater and seeing a sharp toothed Boothe.

I like how the movie has a "this could have happened" feel to it, barring the fact that vampires don't actually exist. I'd recommend watching it.
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Oh man, this movie... let me tell you my experience. My friends and I like to go see movies that look corny and bad (like Skyline and things of that nature) at non busy theaters in the middle of the day so that we're the only ones in the theater and do laugh-along commentary, sort of like it's MST3K. We went to this movie to do just that. It looked like a corny movie with OK action and aOh man, this movie... let me tell you my experience. My friends and I like to go see movies that look corny and bad (like Skyline and things of that nature) at non busy theaters in the middle of the day so that we're the only ones in the theater and do laugh-along commentary, sort of like it's MST3K. We went to this movie to do just that. It looked like a corny movie with OK action and a bad story, and reading reviews confirmed this. What did we get when we sat in that empty theater and watched it, though? We got a gripping experience with awesome action, intense excitement, awesome acting and plot. An all around awesome movie that we all left saying that it was one of the best movies we had all seen in a long time. Go see this movie. You will not be disappointed, and you will not be laughing along. Expand
  3. Jul 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i loved this movie it was a great thriller i was a little disappointed in the ending because it wasn't how it ended in the book but i still loved the end because it was super funny over all loved the movie and you should definitely go see it if you haven't yet Expand
  4. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    This is one of the best movies ever made
    It is the type of a good movie ,like a good book that can be watched over and over again
    Shows the true character of different individuals in society ,in a fictional way, by using vampire's
    A truly enlightening piece of Art
  6. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic flic of a film. It doesn't always take itself seriously, and the fighting can be over the top, but this is a fun movie, with some very good poetic justice on the vamps, good drama scenes without becoming angsty, and is definitely worth 9 out of 10.
  7. Aug 26, 2012
    NOTE: I have not read the novel
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is a well-made, visually impressive and well acted adaptation that has both good 3D and impressive fight sequences, and surprisingly, a decent storyline.
  8. Jun 27, 2012
    This movie knew exactly what it was: Abe Lincoln killing vampires. This movie far exceeded my expectations. It was over the top in an extremely funny way and the director knew it. This is not a great master piece of film but not every movie needs to be. I never once had my smile leave my face while I was watching this movie. It was up surd and hilarious.
  9. Oct 24, 2014
    A surprisingly good film. While some people may call it overrated this film really does blend history with fantasy in a clever way. I honestly was surprised at how good the action scenes are, plus it has some great music and special effects. One of my favourite vampire films!
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    An amazing action flick composed of fictional history and vampire ass-kicking! Even though the film has its flaws, the over all win is the action. If you're yearning for amazing fight scenes, excellent set designs and a skilled president, this is your movie.
  11. Jun 25, 2012
    While is does fall from the book on almost everything except characters and idea it was a great action movie. I was hoping that it would be the same as the book, but was still very pleased with this movie. I think people were just turned off by the whole idea of it. As a fan of action movies and alternative history I highly recommend the book and the movie a little less.
  12. Jul 4, 2012
    Loved it. FANTASTIC acting IMO and the story was incredible. It is nice to also have an actual vampire movie back on the screen. It was made out to be completely believable (if vampires really existed of course) and made good ol' Honest Abe out to be pretty bad ass. Great movie for any Sci-fi fan, bad movie for closed minded people with no imagination.
  13. Aug 18, 2012
    This is one of the most underrated movies I have seen in quite a while. I expected an over-the-top zombie action flick with little substance, plot, or real artistic flourish. I experienced nearly the opposite. Early on, the casting felt spot on and the characterizations, while not the epitome of acting, were certainly far better and more nuanced than say, the recent episode of Batman.This is one of the most underrated movies I have seen in quite a while. I expected an over-the-top zombie action flick with little substance, plot, or real artistic flourish. I experienced nearly the opposite. Early on, the casting felt spot on and the characterizations, while not the epitome of acting, were certainly far better and more nuanced than say, the recent episode of Batman. From an early scene where we are catapulted into the fright of a zombie attack to a beautifully creative palette of a zombie chase atop a horde of horses I was drawn further into the period. In scenes reminiscent of the painting of that era and the landscapists of the time, the art direction was simply beautiful.

The metaphors of vampires, evil, and the civil war were all enjoyable on the screen and fairly well played. While I have heard that some considered this a fantasy aimed at lessoning the moral burden of the 'white man' in the role of slavery, it certainly didn't feel that way. Unfortunately, it does, however, portray Lincoln as someone seemingly more concerned with the fate of at least one close African-American who had been born free but chased for years.

All in all I am looking forward to seeing the movie a second time before it leaves theatres. Even my wife, who is typically not particularly fond of action movies enjoyed the movie enough to want to see it a second time.
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Pure, stupid, matrix-esque vampire ass kicking by our 16th President. If you go into this expecting an Oscar worthy film you're going to have a bad time. If you go in expecting a fun action film you won't be disappointed.
  15. Jul 28, 2014
    Kuzey Güney savaşından ve Abraham Lincoln'den vampir hikayesi çıkarmak kimin aklına gelmişse helal olsun , değişik ve oldukça başarılı bir yapım. Zor bir iş yapılmasına karşın filmde mantık hatası yok. Gözünüzü ayırmadan keyifle seyrediliyor.
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a fantastic film when I went to the cinema last to see it last night. The plot in my opinion was fine, revenge and kill vampires. What more do you need? Benjamin Walker did a brilliant job of portraying a young and mid-aged Lincoln who is a bad ass. This made me feel Lincoln as a president the best of all time.
    I felt emotional in some scenes which was
    I felt emotional in some scenes which was a good feeling. This film has a good action scenes and nice shock moments, the ones where you don't know when a vampire will show up.

This movie was a great movie, loved every minute of it including my friend. Forget the critics as we should call them, go see this movie and respect good ol' Lincoln.
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    First of, even though I'm a broken record on low scores, "this movie is, according to reviewers, worse than the Twilight Saga (write it up there in the corner and see the scores for yourself)", and that was a must say because both use vampires in their stories and both stories change some details for their vampires as well.
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is basically a reenactment of Lincoln as a Vampire Hunter, which does kind sound silly and I will admit I went inside wanting to know how it would work out, as I love reenactment of movies in a different way. And this movie did not disappointment at ALL: it's a fun action movie, with an actually interesting character, a nice story well implemented inside the actual history, and a very good resolution at the end that just takes the cake. It was pure fun and, really, my biggest gripes were maybe some weird choices for the vampires: in here, they are weak ALSO to silver (isn't that werewolves?), have no explaining for the lack of weakness to the sun (but at least they don't "f----ing" sparkle!), and that they can't apparently kill each other; however you'll won't bother and you'll just want to go on with the action and that few story elements it has (which I personally liked, but it could have been better).

Very good movie, worth a watch if you love these kind of reenactment movies and just silly-but-fun ideas behind.
  18. Jun 26, 2012
    I enjoyed it, if you can get over the crazy idea that Abe Lincoln hunted vampires. There are some standout great scenes in it, the train scene, the horse chase scene. It's full of action, the bad guys have some good dialogue and it's genuinely sad at one point. Abe really makes you root for the good guys. 7.5 outta 10. I say go see it.
  19. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a better film than the movie Priest. The action is big and the plot is smart for a movie in a genre like this. Its an impressive summer movie.
  20. Jul 1, 2012
    Didn't have high expectations (got dragged to it by a friend) but I really enjoyed the movie. Some gorgeous visuals, occasionally inventive use of 3D, and a fun overall concept. Above all I was not BORED, which is hard to say about most other movies. This is not a bad film, no matter what some people say. And I loathe fanboy crap.
  21. Jul 22, 2012
    Truly an amazing film in every respect. Meanwhile, I must say it was original and courageous choice to make a Lincoln Slayer. The story follows more or less the true life of the president in the midst of putting his secret life as a vampire hunter. The fun is guaranteed and there are never moments of boredom. The 3D is well done and the music can bring the viewer in action.
  22. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie was a lot better than I thought after I heard the title. The story is good and it's cool how they fit it in and made it work with history. I bought the 3d Bluray edition and if you have a 3d TV it's definitely worth it the 3d is very good In this movie! Anyone who likes fictional and historical type movies is sure to like this. Highly recommended!
  23. Mar 10, 2013
    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother'sFour score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother's life. After discovering the dark secret that connects the slave trade to the vampires' food source, Lincoln trades in his axe for a prominent position in politics, where his words serve as a far greater weapon against his undead adversaries. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER brings Seth Grahame-Smith's historic monster mash-up to the screen in a big way, with all of the overblown action sequences and wild special effects that make for fun, over-the-top summer blockbuster. While the deadpan humor may turn off many audience members that were expecting a parody or spoof, what makes it so oddly entertaining is that it isn't a comedy. It is played perfectly straight to the point of absurdity, earning big laughs along the way as Abe twirls his axe with deadly proficiency and carries himself like the Civil War's "Rambo." A finer actor couldn't have been chosen over Benjamin Walker, who puts in an excellent performance as the President. The vicious vampires are just as dark as the humor as well, although Rufus Sewell does not present a memorable villain as their leader, Adam. The main issue with the film lies in the aforementioned action sequences, which become far too grandiose for a period piece of this kind. What worked perfectly well in Timur Bekmambetov's earlier films, NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, reduces the imagery on screen to an over-stylized sense of cartoon violence, where a subtler approach would have benefited the character greatly. Still, there is plenty to enjoy in the unwritten history of old Honest Abe.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  24. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Expectations: The trailers introduced a wild concept that had enough outlandish action to warrant my attention Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins before jumping directly into the thick of things. It has just enough romance (thankfully, not too much), and some brotherhood-ish moments to add some dramatic balance to the action, a few twists sprinkled in to spice things up a bit. its incredibly rewarding to watch Ole Honest Abe spinning, kicking, and chopping the crap outta the undead If you can except the outlandish concept of Abe Lincoln hunting and fighting vampires, and except the obvious propaganda and subliminal messaging that comes with any account of U.S. history, its a pretty ridiculous action movie that's probably a lot better than it should be.
  25. Jun 25, 2012
    When one attends a film about a former United States President slaying unholy creatures of the night, one does not expect a beautifully written, tear-jerking, dramatic masterpiece. One expects awesomeness, which Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter delivers.

It is, first and foremost, an action film so the quality of the action seems the logical starting place for this review. The fight

The fight scenes are glorious testaments to ingenuity, shining with the kind of creative violence normally presented by serial killers. Every single battle is perfectly choreographed so as to be visually impressive and, at the same time, believable and in keeping with Lincoln's go-to fighting style of "Desperate Brutality".
    Expect to see Mr. Lincoln kill many vampires with the closest sharp/heavy object or piece of scenery to hand. My personal favourite moment is when a panicked vampire, fleeing through a field, frantically picks up a passing horse and attempts to club Lincoln to death with it.

Which is not to diminish the non-violent aspects of the film. In a story featuring The Great Emancipator as the lead protagonist, the issue of slavery and the Civil War between the Union (anti-slavery) and the Confederacy (pro-slavery) were bound to rise up out of the setting and into the plot, something that AL:VH takes perfectly in it's stride and uses to bridge the gap from angry, young Lincoln who hates vampires to wise, experienced Lincoln who loves freedom, a progression that fits perfectly into the narrative.

Which is essentially the plot of the story. Like a video-game character, Lincoln goes from fighting one vampire to fighting a dozen of them to fighting an army (the confederacy being conveniently run by vampires) until, eventually, his crusade against vampires becomes a crusade against evil (specifically the evil of Racial Inequality) culminating, in true Action-Film mentality, with Abraham and his black BFF fighting vampires side by side atop a moving train.

Lincoln is portrayed by Benjamin Walker, a relative newcomer to the industry, but he excels in the role, performing a youthful and elderly Lincoln with the same degree of believability. He is backed up by his vampire-hunting posse of Dominic Cooper (The Devil's Double), Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker) and Jimmi Simpson (Breakout Kings), all of whom perform excellently.

To conclude, AL:VH has no illusions of grandeur. It's an action film, and a bloody good one.
  26. Jun 28, 2012
    AL:VH was not the movie I thought it would be. Short of a few inconsistencies with vampire/vampire hunting abilities that were probably for the sake of the action scenes this movie was surprisingly serious and well executed. The story reminds me of older mythologies that were probably at one time based on real people and events that we enjoy while never for a second believing to be trueAL:VH was not the movie I thought it would be. Short of a few inconsistencies with vampire/vampire hunting abilities that were probably for the sake of the action scenes this movie was surprisingly serious and well executed. The story reminds me of older mythologies that were probably at one time based on real people and events that we enjoy while never for a second believing to be true (Beowulf, King Arthur, Hercules). I found it very enjoyable as such, a sort of Neo-Mythology. Expand
  27. Jun 22, 2012
    Don't expect too much from this film, it's just what the title suggests, Abe Lincoln killing vampires... with his silver ax. It delivers on that very well, abandoning all inhibitions or historical accuracy. During the film, I really found it better to leave all knowledge of the Civil War or Lincoln himself at the door and simply enjoy the fun, surprisingly well staged action movie that IDon't expect too much from this film, it's just what the title suggests, Abe Lincoln killing vampires... with his silver ax. It delivers on that very well, abandoning all inhibitions or historical accuracy. During the film, I really found it better to leave all knowledge of the Civil War or Lincoln himself at the door and simply enjoy the fun, surprisingly well staged action movie that I was presented with. All subjects covered are grossly inaccurate but aren't quite caricatures, which is what I was afraid of. The action is fantastic, owing many shots and sequences to films like the Matrix but are kept fairly original.Benjamin Walker and his co-star Dominic Cooper give adequate to good performances for their admittedly shallow roles. Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jimmi Simpson all do what supporting actors should do, augment the plot and roles of the main characters, and Rufus Sewell plays a fun villain. Don't see this movie for scares; if you're looking for a dark, serious tale this really isn't it. It's more what Diehard or even The Patriot would have been like with Vampires, good (if slightly trite) action, shallow plot, great sets and atmosphere. I liked it, despite my love of historical accuracy and long shots. If you're looking for some surprisingly different fun at the cinema, you will too. Happy hunting. ^_^ Expand
  28. Jun 22, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed,Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed, Hunter is a wild ride, almost challenging its audience with such a ridiculous plot that no amount of sane historical inquiry can be applied. After witnessing the murder of his mother by his father's former slave boss Jack Barts (Csokas) when he was nine, the now-adult Abraham Lincoln (Walker) decides to exact revenge by first getting drunk at a bar. There, he meets the European-stylized Henry (Cooper), who attempts to discourage Lincoln from carrying out such folly. Soon, Lincoln has Barts dead on the ground, or so he thinks. Barts is really a vampire, and the human trafficking he conducts represents food for the growing vampire population in the South. Henry steps in to save Lincoln's life, but only with the promise that he join Henrys campaign to slay the escaped Barts and the other night crawlers. Soon, the former rail splitter is doing just that, but not before several funny and well-done sequences with Henry 'training' Lincoln with his fists. An unconventional man, Lincoln won't use standard weapons to kill blood-suckers, instead choosing one of a rail splitter to carry out his task. Covered in silver, Lincoln's axe becomes the anvil for his war against those who killed his mother. The work of a vampire hunter is a night job, and Lincoln must maintain a low profile by working as a store clerk for friend Joshua Speed (Johnson). There, Lincoln meets Mary Todd (Winstead), quite against the wishes of Henry, who demands 'no connection, no children' from his disciple. Courted by Senator Stephen Douglas (the uncredited Alan Tudyk), Smith interjects a bit of historical irony, as Douglas and Lincoln will eventually debate the issue of slavery throughout Illinois in 1858. As Lincoln wins Todd's hand and begins to ascend through the ranks of political society, his vampire body count begins to rise. This merits the attention of head vampire Adam (Sewell), who sends his assistant (supermodel Erin Wasson) to stop Lincoln. As the Civil War begins and moves quickly to the critical Battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln must decide if he'll continue to fight Adam, protect his family, or try to save the nation from a South littered with vampires and slaveholders.

Director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) bathes Vampire in slow-motion visuals (think vampires meet 300),Matrix-like stunts, and a horse chase that might become an instant classic. Unlike some green-screen directors whose actors appear stolid, uncomfortable, and perhaps incapable of imagining the action, Bekmambetov's subjects flow through each sequence, carrying out bloody acts of aggression in a way that looks and feels like gruesome ballet. Walker plays a terrific Lincoln, as does Cooper's playboy Henry. There's not one miscast here, with the beautiful Winstead offering nice visual breaks from all the carnage. The 3D transfer (whether it was post-produced or shot in 3D) is easily one of the best of the year, showing off a possible new trend of creating lifelike depth rather than the totally unsatisfying in-your-face style of Clash of the Titans. Composer Jackman (X-Men: First Class) leads the audience through a soundtrack that's dark, pulsing, and serves the overall feel of the story very well. There are some bumps and misfires along the way, but the overall effect and look of the picture is highly entertaining. There's a lot left out from the Vampire novel that would have been interesting to see played out on the big screen, including Lincoln's meeting with none other than Edgar Allan Poe, who also received star treatment this year in the under-appreciated but better The Raven. However, given the fact that shooting to world premiere took only one year, it's amazing the 105-minute film looks as good as it does: credit Producer Tim Burton with helping to pull that off. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is presidential author Doris Kearns-Goodwin's worst nightmare. World-renowned historians like her might not want to watch the film, based on the way it selectively uses historical facts to advance the story, not to accurately depict significant events as they unfolded. But baring that small population of history enthusiasts, Vampire will appeal to fans of the book as well as newcomers who should be impressed by how unafraid it is of its own bombast. It's purely fun to watch, the acting is solid, and the 3D transfer is actually better than Pixar's Brave. It should more than make up for its paltry $70 million budget and outperform its bloated Battleship and John Carter competitors with a style that's completely over the top and proud of it.
  29. Jun 27, 2012
    The most captivating and enjoyable history lesson you'll ever get. Actually, surprisingly-accurate, given the outlandish premise. Great action, characters you find yourself interested in, and solid writing (for a Timur Bekmambetov film). I was a little unsure going in, but the film pleasantly surprised me with an atmospheric tone, tintype-style cinematography, and generous helpings ofThe most captivating and enjoyable history lesson you'll ever get. Actually, surprisingly-accurate, given the outlandish premise. Great action, characters you find yourself interested in, and solid writing (for a Timur Bekmambetov film). I was a little unsure going in, but the film pleasantly surprised me with an atmospheric tone, tintype-style cinematography, and generous helpings of appropriate CGI. Expand
  30. Jun 28, 2012
    I didn't read the book, so I went in expecting exactly what I got: a very fun, over the top cheese fest full of action!

If you are looking for some transcendentally deep emotional interaction, or a sweeping epic full of jaw dropping meaning, you're in the wrong place.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.