6.1

1. Mar 23, 2013
    I think the Metascore is about right on for this one. I like Paul Rudd and Tina Fey is solid, but the writing/editing of this story needed tightening up. The end is awkward, the crisis is mishandled, and the subject matter overall getting a kid into Princeton is just not quite interesting enough to form the backbone of a feature film at least the way it's written here. Lilly Tomlin does a nice job in a very small role. Expand
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just want to start off by saying that, if you can get me to dislike a movie that Tina Fey stars in, you’ve really, really done something wrong. (Honestly, with me being completely objective here; she deserved a much better film for the performance she gave. It’s a shame.)

The film starts off with Tina as “Portia”, an uptight admissions officer at Princeton, who also happens to be in an unhappy relationship with Wesley Snipes (seriously, the character IS Wesley Snipes) who thinks of her as a faithful companion and nothing more (multiple unfunny dog jokes are made). He’s unbearable and once the storyline inevitably separates the two of them so she can find her other, equally as annoying “love” in Paul Rudd, it irritatingly feels the need to make him pop up randomly at the end of almost every great dramatic scene Tina has to ruin them with an unfunny recurring gag. (Side note, he leaves with Penny from LOST. It was kinda cool seeing her, although I was disappointed by the lack of anyone shouting “brotha!” in her proximity.)

Eventually Portia meets Paul Rudd’s character, a pretentious with a *gasp!* black kid and a need to travel (so quirky!) who brings her out to his hipster alternative school to be ridiculed by his students as a sadist who represents Princeton, AKA the education system, AKA the establishment, AKA something for a bunch of idiot teens to complain about. The whole scene is unbearable, and from that point on it’s almost impossible to feel for the guy. Oh, and he thinks his supposed prodigy of a student (the kid from The Naked Brothers Band) is her son she gave up for adoption as a teen, and feels for some reason that it’s his job to get them together. The whole thing is a little ridiculous, but with better direction and dialogue, it could’ve worked. Sadly, it’s all poorly shot and amateurishly edited, something not even Tina Fey can save a movie from.

All that withstanding, it’s not terrible. The look into the admissions process is actually fascinating and could’ve made for a great movie. There were a couple of good scenes (one including some fantastic work by Tina, whose performance in this was absolutely one befitting a much better film), and you do care for some of these characters, especially Portia, but that’s about it. It was all over the place tonally, and I mean ALL over the place. The movie has no idea whether it supports the admissions process or wants to challenge the standards of approval and it’s comedy elements seemed forced while the dramatic scenes that weren’t saved by Tina or Lily Tomlin (who was also great in this) are contrived and ludicrous. In the end, I think this should’ve been a pure drama with a lot of the excess plot trimmed off to make a much tighter movie. It could’ve worked. End the end, yes, I’ll end up purchasing this to support Tina, but I know for a fact I’ll never, ever watch it again. Well… I might, but only to see Tina cry like a pro.
  3. Jun 21, 2013
    While it could be totally phony the ending is not exactly what I expected so I would say not as bad as some are saying. I think this film is a very decent one to see with your girl when you ran out of credit for action movies.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    It had it's humorous and entertaining moments, but there were not enough of them. It starts out to be decent, then it kind of loses your attention as you start wondering when it's gonna end and you get bored. Let's face it, the movie had no point in being made and I have no idea why it was.
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    What can be said about a perfectly charming movie that the critics got so terribly wrong? It's a story with great heart and humor, one that hits all the right notes, including strong performances from Fey and Rudd and Tomlin as well as the rest of the supporting cast members. Finally a movie without explicit sex, bathroom humor, endless profanity, and graphic violence—a really good romantic comedy that deal with matters of the heart. Expand
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    The movie's title has several meanings and that's part of the problem. Too much earnest message and not enuff laffs. Tina Fey plays an admissions officer at Princeton, who is solicited by a teacher (Paul Rudd) to consider a special student. Fey is the comic core of this film. When she's being awkward, she's funny. The emotional stuff…not so much. I'm a big fan of Rudd, but this isn't one of his most charming performances. Overall, there are laughs, but the leanings toward heartfelt dilute the comedy. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2014
    It's a romantic comedy, but it's not that funny or romantic. I never felt the chemistry between the two leads. The whole point of the movie fell apart towards the weird ending. I liked Lily Tomlin, otherwise I would have rated it even lower.
  8. Mar 22, 2013
    We liked the movie but didn't LOVE it... A sweet story with irony & comedy blended well. My wife was sad to see it end. Paul Rudd & Tina Fey have good chemistry. And why do they require 150 characters??
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Like The Blind Side, this film manages to be relevant and touching as well as amusing. It punctures the elitism of a place like Princeton without dismissing the idea of talent and standards. Tina Fey is a wonderful combination of crispness and utter vulnerability, and Paul Rudd is smart, dense, and totally disarming. Don't expect an Apatow Laff-fest, and you may loved it.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    By a process of elimination--no desire to see “Jurassic Park in 3D”, “Evil Dead” or “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” we were left with “Admission”. I am a Paul Rudd fan, more about him later, but I publicly admit I am not familiar with Tina Fey. I stopped watching “SNL” years ago though I did catch her clever Palin imitation, I may have watched “30 Rock” here and there for a total of 30 minutes and I did watch the Golden Globes. I did see her in “Date Night” but my mind has blanked it out. It being Friday, movie day, “Admission” it was.

“Admission” is an easy going, pleasant forgettable movie. Whether it is suppose to be a romantic comedy between Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, and there is very little comedy while they have no romantic spark between them, instead coming across as brother and sister or good friends or it is suppose to be a satirical look at someone who holds the power of whether a person does or doesn’t get into Princeton, it fails all around. Tina Fey is a pretty woman at times while a minute later can look ordinary.

I am a big fan of Paul Rudd and just a few years ago looked at him as a ‘cutie’, a funny actor and someone who could be ‘the boy next door’ (if only LOL!) He has made many movies and doesn’t fear playing losers but of his movies, maybe 3 have been hits, with one due to him. He comes across warm in “Admission” as a father who adopts a Black boy and mentors a talented boy named Jeremiah while running a new school that sounds like one from the ‘60s. Rudd needs that one film that will break his competent acting but put him in the A group of stars where he belongs. And, Paul, please trim that head of hair!

The script by Karen Croner covers too many agendas not giving importance to any of them. The director, Paul Weitz, has a good cast of supporting players like Michael Sheen as Tina’s long time companion, Wallace Shawn as her boss, Gloria Reuben as her work competitor but of all it is Lily Tomlin as her mother that steals every scene she is in and runs away with the movie. The main problem is that her role isn’t big enough. It is time a producer hires Jane Wagner to write a movie built around Tomlin’s many talents or, just as good a film with Tomlin and Fey as Mother and Daughter, who are quite believable in this film in those roles.

Hopefully Tina Fey will make a movie that will be as strong as her “SNL” and “30 Rock” writing and acting that has proven how talented she has been.
  11. Mar 5, 2014
    It was a good movie, but not great.This is a relaxing movie to watch with little drama and comedy. Nothing I can clearly remember that stood out to much. I did like the characters. It gives you just about what you should expect. If your looking for an action movie I don`t even know why you put this on.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    Fay and Rudd were two good elements in Admission but it seems like director Paul Weitz has lost his taste in making films. The actors were solid and great in types of chemistry but the story didn't excite or convince me of watching it again. The movie's main elements were great but as the plot thickens the movie startes to bore rather than laugh, the jokes weren't funny and the acting was so so.
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    My wife and I LOVED this movie. Charming, charming, charming. I don't usually disagree vehemently with the roster of professional critics, but with this movie, I am baffled by the low scores. Paul Rudd and Tina Fey are wonderful, the script is delightful, and puts the viewer a little off balance, keeping the surprise element always in play. We don't like predictable scripts, and this was far from it; two original characters, who travel a wonderfully circuitous path toward the "happy ending." This movie was one of our favorites of the year. We're so tired of the mega-violent and teen-angst flicks that Hollywood is perpetually foisting on the public. It was so refreshing to go to the movies and laugh, smile, empathize, and simply dream along with the lead characters. This review wouldn't be complete without a tip of the hat to Lily Tomlin, who puts in a stellar performance, playing Tina Fey's stridently feminist author mother. Wonderful! Please go see this movie, and take your friends and family. You will be thankful that you did. Collapse
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A few funny moments (for example, the "chicken" scene) and a mildly interesting main plot, both they both fail to get in the way of a complex, horribly generic side plot (the whole ordeal about Jeremiah being Portia's long-lost child, and also that whole ordeal about Michael Sheen's character admitting he had sex with that Virginia Woolf scholar who I can't be bothered to name right now) which is so present throughout the movie that it makes the whole thing boring and sleep-worthy. Expand
  15. Mar 4, 2014
    Admission, directed by Paul Weitz, was a worthy flick to see, but had some things lacking. For example, development, strong emotion, and not enough jokes. It stood as a glorified dramedy romcom, but it seems as if anything else could knock it over. This Apatow-like film did have a couple of funny moments, as well as some drama, but 75% of the time it was a quick scene, cheesy, or both. The likable Tina Fey and Paul Rudd did play the parts well, and I found myself liking their characters and wanting more. But, there shall be no Admission 2. In summation, this movie felt like an Apatow-directed jumble of emotion, drama, and comedy, and sometimes it didn't know where it was going. If the foundation had been stronger, this movie would not have suffered so much. And as a final note, of course The Princeton dean of admissions would leave his office door open and his computer password on a picture frame for anyone to see and get access to his computer with incredibly important files. Expand
  16. Oct 4, 2013
    These movies aren't my type. Movies with Paul Rudd lately like Our Idiot Brother and This is 40 were complete clunkers in my opinion, but this one wasn't too bad. Boring, but not horrible. The story didn't compel me, but at least there was a plausible story. If you like school dramas without special effects, you'll be pleased. I wasn't, but see the movie if you want.
  17. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was promised by the main character of the movie Portia that I would know on how to “get in” so I can finally be finished watching this goddamn mediocre movie. And before the credits roll, she repeated the question “How do you get in?” and she finally answered and her answer was, “Sorry. I can’t tell you. You have to find out yourself.”

God, that was a waste of time. But that’s not the part where it cringed me the most.

What cringed me the most was the romance part of the movie. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the chemistry between Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. But the romance seemed to make the movie a chick-flick with cheesy exchange dialogues that was supposed to be smart with words, which it failed to make it sound smart with words. And the romantic part of the movie felt unnecessary in my opinion. It could have done better without it.

The characters in this movie were awful and annoying. I did not like Portia despite being played by the wonderful Tina Fey because she seemed like a woman having her midlife crisis and I don’t want to waste my time watching a movie about people having midlife crisis if it’s not portrayed in a humorous way. I did not like John despite being played by the handsome Paul Rudd because instead of being charming, he is creepy as **** despite the dashing look of Paul Rudd. But the character I did not like the most was Portia’s mother Susannah. She uses her “independent from men” attitude to hide her insecurities and that is utter **** and sexist.

The only character in this movie that I liked was Jeremiah. I relate to him very much and he is that guy you want to be friends with. And since he is played by Nat Wolff, I feel like I have this weird deep connection with the characters he played on The Fault in Our Stars, Stuck in Love and this movie. “and that’s not so bad”. (By the way, that was a stupid line to end a movie but it’s a good line to use to end this paragraph).

The highlight of this movie was the humor. It was simple, yet harsh and the comedic timing was just right. Unfortunately, it did not help this movie to impress me more.

As for the plot twists goes, it was shocking and unpredictable but it felt anti-climatic on how these conflicts were solved and I think this was a major flaw of the entire movie.

Would I see this again? No, absolutely not even though I admit it was funny. I will just watch Baby Mama and The Fault in Our Stars while I wait for Paul Rudd’s debut as Ant-Man next year. And of course, I won’t be mad at Tina Fey, Paul Rudd and Nat Wolff that they were involved in this movie. I am not that kind of person.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 15, 2013
    The comic material really isn't there, and the plot transitions feel forced and uncomfortable.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 15, 2013
    The movie subverts expectations, and not in a good way, by seeming in a dither about its own identity. The romance is by the by, the comedy as sparse as can be. We’re left with a curious non-film about the pitfalls of higher education assessment. Odd.
  3. Reviewed by: James White
    Jun 10, 2013
    Occasionally charming but mostly bland fare from Weitz, despite the reliable cast. About A Boy remains the best showcase of his talents.