5.6

1. Sep 24, 2011
    If you expected a controversial movie form Burton, "Alice in Wonderland" is not what you expect. However, the eerie creativity and fantastic visuals might delight you for the moment.
  2. Feb 4, 2012
    Tim Burton directs a ton of heart and adventure into this adaptation which makes it great, but he also skillfully directs one of the most important details of the story into the movie the wackiness. He also has impressive performances especially Johnny Depp and newcomer Mia Wasikowska. Some cool action and just amazing visual effects. I give this film 92%.
  3. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really thought I was going to dislike this movie. However, I was surprised by how much I liked it. Johnny Depp was excellent as the Mad Hatter. Although, my only complaint was that Christopher Lee was really underused. I wish I could hear him speak more lines as the Jabberwocky. Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2010
    Just one word: Boring. It is just so boring and it isn't good in any sense, not the characters not the story, nothing. Apparently Burton was just given a bunch of money and decided not to focus on the story or the characters or giving an inventive view on the wonderful book this movie is based on, and just spent it on the special effects which are just ok. Terrible movie can't believe it's nominated for a golden globe. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2010
    While it was light on plot and character development, Alice in Wonderland was a visual delight-perhaps the best ever created by Tim Burton. It's not amazing. But for those who haven't seen it, I recommend you give it a chance, and tumble down the rabbit hole with Alice. A 7.5/10.
  6. Aug 13, 2010
    Going into the film with very little expectations, I was very pleasantly surprised! The acting was really good, especially by the lead actress and Helena Bonham Carter... Anne Hathaway was somewhat annoying, but that's just because of the nature of her character - all bubbly and ... annoying. Ha.

Anyway, visually, though, the film is just breath-taking and it definitely projects the magic
    that should be present in an adaptation of "Alice in Wonderland." It definitely feels like a magical world and it is a very entertaining film!
    One of Burton's better efforts, for sure!
  7. Oct 27, 2010
    the way Avril Lavigne did the song Alice was the only reason why this movie was such a big hit from Tim Burton. take my advice: go and see it.
  8. Jan 20, 2014
    The positive of this film is how visually appealing it is, however because it came out roughly around the time of Avatar, it becomes a second rate fantasy flick. Combining this and the messiness of the screenplay creates rather a disappointing film.
  9. Aug 11, 2010
    It is a perfectly acceptable film, but I couldn't escape the feeling that so much more could have been done with such potent material. This is, after all, Tim Burton doing Alice in Wonderland! Why wasn't I blown away?
  10. Aug 16, 2010
    Tim Burton's update of the classic Lewis Carroll tale "Alice in Wonderland" is an inspired work it embodies everything that makes Burton a master and what makes him a genius at the art of dark fantasy. While this sequel ,or re Imagining, if you would like to call it, is a dark morbid fantasy film that while may lack the wide eyed child enthusiasm of the 1951 Walt Disney animated production it still keeps the adventure, the fun and the charm of the original production and book. What I liked most about it was the dry sense of humor infused into this classic story, but also I like the fact that it does not try to be more than what it is; it does not try to be some audacious fantasy film. Instead, it settles for an above average Burton film with a lighthearted side, while retaining the amazing visuals and stylish pace that is expected of Tim Burton. "Alice in Wonderland" may not impress everyone but for those who like some visually appealing dark fantasy films with a good-hearted story to them. "Alice in Wonderlandâ Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2010
    Tim Burton's re-imagining of Lewis Carroll's classic fairytale using his inevitable dark ,Gothic style. Really enjoyed this and it's a mixture of the original book & Through the Looking Glass. As expected, the visuals are brilliantly surreal, voice acting great & with Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter hamming it up as the Mad Hatter & Red Queen respectively. Danny Elfman's score plays a big part too in keeping the tone as he's done with most of Burton's work. Expand
  12. Aug 19, 2010
    You know why I don't like this movie at all? Just because of those stupid ads they have on the internet! They're annoying(just because I saw them a billion times on the internet)! I'd never watch this at all! EVER!!!
  13. Aug 22, 2010
    A fantastic movie for all ages. Full of funs, fantasies, mysteries and all. It has the element to attract people. I'm very proud to Mia Wasikowska, she does a great act for this. The Red Queen is very funny. I don't get the character of the Mad Hatter who is played by Johnny Depp so i will minus the perfect points for this movie.
  14. Aug 23, 2010
    A Terrible deception...Tim Burton...what happened in this movie?
    The music is fantastic (Danny Elfman is brilliant) and the vissual effects are amazing but...what happened with the history? there's no emotion and sorry but it's a little boring...a terrible deception.
  15. Aug 28, 2010
    Horrifying. It's as if the movie's entire purpose was to reinforce the dominant paradigm rather than deny it, and all the while take deliberate measure to mock the unfortunate. The Red Queen character was the only one that felt remotely human, and she was swiftly disposed of with sadist cruelty. The White Queen, for someone who supposedly was the image of purity, was of a condescending, arrogant, and spiteful brand. Alice herself just falls back into others' expectations by slaying the Jabberwocky, which is itself a hardly thoughtful and tedious motion to forge some sort of third act; needless to say, the bit at the end is an offense to the Chinese deserving of harsh reprimand. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2010
    The WORST movie of 2010. Its a horrible sequel to a so-so movie. CGI is bad, 3D was atrocious, i was bored and I was just sitting there waiting for it to end.
  17. Nov 3, 2010
    I have to say Johnny Depp did a great job in the movie, but thats about it. what really ruined the story was the actress who played Alice. she was boring and did not make you want to keep watching the movie. the graphics and animation were excellent though.
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    I'm really mixed on this movie. On one end the art style looks cool capturing the strangeness of Wonderland quite nicely. Plus, it's nice that the film was not a rehash of the previous Disney version of the film. On the other hand though I did not care too much about the characters and the story. Plus, the story telling felt a little cliche for me. Overall, decent flick not going to recommend it and I'm not going to say do not see it because I do not feel strongly towards one side or the other. I'm going to say is see it in 3D if you can because there are a lot of 3Dish shots in the film. Expand
  19. Dec 30, 2010
    While I saw the original 1951 animated film when I was a child, and had the LP that told the story in an abridged form during my younger years, I've never read the Lewis Carroll novels, nor do I really remember much from Walt Disney's original masterpiece. What I can attest to is how beautiful and entertaining Tim Burton's version was. I've read several reviews from those who did not care much about this film. Those who hated the deviation from the original story. Those who hated the deviation from the animated film. Those who thought it was another fantastical, yet watered down, version of Tim Burton's imagination.

I suppose all of those opinions could be true. However, while I can understand how tired it is to continue seeing Depp in a lot of makeup and playing what appears to be the same character with a different voice in yet another Tim Burton movie, the fact is, this was a Disney feature film. It wasn't budgeted for Tim to go all "Tim Burton" on it. It needed to appeal to kids and adults alike, and this film greatly achieved that. Disney is using the most colorful and imaginative director to bring to life another Disney classic in order to achieve the same success as Pirates of the Caribbean. Adults and children alike are very familiar with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, so to have expected anything more than what was delivered was unrealistic. To go farther Tim Burtonesque would have resulted in a movie Disney would not have been able to market. To move further away from Tim Burton would have watered down what Tim is good at. The visuals, action and theatrics of Alice in Wonderland were the perfect mix of original story, contemporary taste and modern talents. No one else could have pulled this film off better.
  20. Nov 2, 2010
    I remember one year, Target had copies of Santa Clause Conquers The Martians. I bought this, and then proceeded to watch it at my home. I got a few minutes into it before I realized I had seen this movie before. It seems Mystery Science Theater 3 Thousand had already covered this movie. This movie was so bad, it had already gone down in legend. There is not 1 redeeming feature in that movie. I enjoyed Manos: Hand of Fate more than Santa Clause Conquers The Martians.

Alice in Wonderland is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.
  21. Sep 28, 2010
    Mainstream Hollywood is entering an era of ridiculous amounts of CGI effects and unfathomable budgets. After watching an outlandishly gaudy Avatar and Tim Burton's atrocious animation film 9, Alice In Wonderland wasn't so promising. But to my surprise, Alice shows that there is modest hope, not a lot, in this ill-fated generation of movies.

After an average attempt in recreating a
    classic with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Tim Burton tries to use his whimsical touch with a beloved Disney classic. But instead of simply remaking it, Tim Burton tells a story of his own, an addition to Lewis Carroll's 19th century novels. In Alice In Wonderland, Alice returns to the magical world with minimal memory of actually ever visiting this place. In this second venture, Alice reunites with the Mad Hatter and friends to end the tyrannical reign of The Red Queen. On the way, Alice learns the meaning of her mysterious memories and finds out who she really is (cliche, I know).

Alice In Wonderland has some positive attributes that redeems the subject matter. Its greatest aspect is its star-studded cast, which is probably the main attraction of the film. The Mad Hatter, portrayed by Johnny Depp, is a mishmash of characters Captain Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka. As ridiculous as that sounds, he pulls it off as he does in almost every Depp-Burton collaboration. Helena Carter (The Red Queen), puts so much personality into the character, that her continuous exclamations of "Off With The Head" were not bothersome, but entertaining every time. Finally, Mia Wasikowska shows Vanity Fair correct in that she's an Actress To Watch. Although having annoying dialogue at several parts of the film, she shows that she can act and bring life to a beloved Disney character with her realness and believability. Another great quality of the film is its soundtrack. Just as it did in films such as Batman Returns, Danny Elfman's composition makes the audience really like they're in an alternate world with its lovely orchestral sound. Also, the dialogue really complements the original characters as well.

Although Alice In Wonderland possesses many great qualities, there are several noticeable flaws. There are some minor blemishes in the plot that are questionable. Why is Alice without knowledge of her previous venture to Wonderland? Even in a flashback, she thinks that they are just nightmares. How does Alice keep on thinking that the whole adventure is a dream? The movie shows a lapse of about a week, is it not obvious that a dream is not this extensive? Lastly, the main flaw is the first half's lack of magic. The first act of the movie is not colorful at all and is ultimately dull. Yes, The Red Queen's corrupt rule has affected this world, but can it not be slightly more appealing. The visuals of this portion of the movie cannot match the vibrant world of Pandora in Avatar, leading the audience to question, where is the wonder? Not until the protagonists reach the castle of The Red Queen is it as rich as its animated original. When it reaches this point, the CGI really complements the world. Keep in mind that I did not watch the movie in 3D, so I might be incorrect. But the dullness is so apparent, I do not think a multidimensional view would make much of a difference. These are flaws that can possibly be overlooked, but the main problem is Tim Burton. Burton makes a film pleasing to the eye and senses, but it definitely doesn't attach itself to the audience like Burton's past films. Why can't we connect with any of the character as we did with Edward Scissorhands? Why can't we sympathize with The Red Queen as we did with DeVito's Penguin? This cannot be simply shrugged off because the director every moviegoer knows as a visionary is simply conforming into Hollywood.

Overall, Alice In Wonderland is a film with more quality than other films with similar ridiculous budgets, which in all actuality is not saying too much. It definitely isn't on par with Burton's true great films in the way it tugs at the viewer's emotions, but even though it has its flaws, its great cast makes it worthy of 2 hours of your weekend.
  22. Nov 2, 2010
    I loved this movie and I don't care what people think! This was a great movie, the style, and atmosphere created was dark and at the same time pretty. I specially loved the queen. This movie is simple fun with a very pretty art style.
  23. Oct 4, 2010
    It is not quite as brilliant as I expected. Johnny Depp's creation of the Mad Hatter is wonderful, but it seems to dominate the film, where as Mia Wasikowska's 'Alice' was just as great a character to watch. It is unfortunate too that the film ends with a large action sequence that seems to downgrade the film overall, however the quirkiness and amazing visuals of the film, and the charm that is nevertheless existent despite its flaws, overcomes these. The stand out performance comes from Helena Bonham Carter, whose wonderful interpretation of the Red Queen is hilarious rather than villainous. It is, so far, one of the best films of the year so far and definitely worth watching. Expand
  24. Oct 30, 2010
    The point of an adaptation is to create your OWN vision, while sticking true to the important elements, of the original story. Tim Burton has done just that, and beautifully. Not my FAVORITE adaptation of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", but it's up there, and is certainly a memorable experience. In IMAX 3-D, it truly blows you away (especially the rabbit hole scene; GENIUS!)
  25. Nov 23, 2010
    Movie is just an attractive and appealing picture, unfortunately it contains nothing valuable. One time see movie, will not watch it again. '3D' added just to be. Average
  26. Nov 24, 2010
    C'est une mauvaise adaptation. Un point c'est tout. Les premiers films de Tim Burton restent des chefs-d'oeuvre comparés à cette chose sans forme. Si vous avez adoré Charlie Et La Chocolaterie vous aimerez surement cette version d'Alice. Ce n'est évidemment pas mon cas.
  27. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Of this point goes to johnny depp and the other half point goes to helena bonham carter, no problems with them at all. However having never even read the book, I will say that other than the two aforementioned actors this film was garbage. It had no direction, the main character was left completely undeveloped, the actress playing the main character had no screen presence let alone confidence in her role, there was no sense of tension, I'm pretty sure something called a bandersnatch (which my mother informs me was not ever seen in the book) is not supposed to be and endeared loveable dog thing, it turned into another uneededly epic underdog story at the end, with unspoken potential for romance between the pimary female and male lead (oh disney you never fail to do this), there were a ton of unecessary characters who DID not pull their weight (spastic rabbit thing, mouse, other rabbit thing, the goddamn dog {aww he has a family, how lovingly manipulative} and the fat boys) Ughh and she does one of those disney things where she goes and tells everyone whats what at the end of the film all things which could have been concluded at the beginning of the film and i would have forgiven it ALL IF THE GODDAMN JABBERWOCK WASNT A GODDAMN DRAGON!! AGHH EVERYTHING IS A DRAGON MY DAMN COFFEE TABLE IS A DRAGON! MY EBONY COA COA BUTTER CO*CHIE IS A DRAGON MY IMAGINARY NEPHEW IS A DAMN DRAGON! Expand
  28. Dec 2, 2010
    In the creative mind of director Tim Burton I say bravo. These graphics show that is mind thinks in very strange ways. The acting and the screenplay were rough in areas and great in others. Some of the time you just sit there and wonder "Is this ever going to move on??" and other parts you think "Holy crap this is great!!" It really depends how you look at this movie to know if you love it, hate it, or thought it was good. for me i thought it was good but certain parts of me wished they made the first part and then this part next. Expand
  29. Mar 26, 2011
    Another classic story that Tim Burton messes up by making it dark, don't get me wrong I've always wanted to see the story of Alice in Wonderland in a more mature setting about her sanity slipping, but it doesn't do that it just tries to make it an action movie with a darker tone, but fails because it doesn't make any sense, the reason I didn't enjoy it is because they have the setting, but they don't have the all characters as they should, I only like one character and that was not enough to save the movie from failure. Expand
  30. Feb 2, 2011
    I expected a good movie from Tim Burton and walked out with just that. Although I didn't find the picture groundbreaking, it was solid and creative, while closely relating with the original and the books. There were no weak performances by any of the cast, especially Johnny Depp's perception of the Mad Hatter. His performance was phenomenal and may garner him some actual critical acclaim. The story line was creative, the lines were witty, and the digital effects were done magnificently. The only problem I had was with the blatant attempts to showcase the 3-D aspect of the film. They had moments where things flew out into the audience or where dragons snapped their jaws, which, in my opinion, is not the proper way to use the 3-D creation. I prefer the way it was used in "Up", where the 3-D effects were used only to enhance the quality of the movie, not to have things flying at the audience. Despite this minor flaw, the movie was very well done. My hat's off to you Mr. Burton. Collapse
  31. Jan 10, 2011
    Finally, I saw ALICE IN WONDERLAND the movie that I have been waiting for such a long time. The tale about nineteen years old Alice following the white rabbit, to find her destiny back in Wonderland that now ruled by Red Queen. The movie directed by Tim Burton, the man specialty in eye candy and delight visualization. Thiz movie is the seventh collaboration with Johnny Depp as his main Cast, after EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990), ED WOOD (1994), SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999), CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005), CORPSE BRIDE (2005), and SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2007). His other masterpiece features are: BEETLE JUICE (1988), BATMAN (1989) and BIG FISH (2003). Thiz movie supported by various Casts like: Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover, Michael Sheen, Alan Rickman, and Mia Wasikowska as Alice. The most powerful performance in thiz movie is Big Head Red Queen character, which played amazingly wicked and funny at the same time by Helena Bonham Carter (is about the same character on Lord Farquaad in first SHREK (2001)). Bonham Carter performance exceeds Depp appearance. Her existence saves the movie for overall. Beside that I did not feel any emotions on thiz film, everything was flat. Actually, thiz movie did not supported by good script. It might, the worse script that came to Tim Burton desk in these past twenty years of his career, despite the visualization is A-class. The story is an alternate version of Alice originally written by Lewis Caroll. thiz version did not carry such a thrill and interesting plots. In the final scene (Spoiler Alert!), give Alice a sword and knight armor to slay a dragon? It is definitely not a good option. The change is too radical, soft and tender Alice that builds from the beginning, suddenly take an incisive turn over. The flip over so hard that possibly had become its own boomerang itself.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  32. Feb 3, 2011
    this movie wasn't horrible and it wasn't great but it did show the scenes as a magical area and i loved how Johnny Depp played the mad hater but over all it was interesting.
  33. May 29, 2011
    Alice in Wonderland is a very pleasant movie. The movie passed without me blinking, there was no dull moment what so ever. By the time it reached signs of the "end" I asked myself, has it been 5 minutes yet? The movie puts you in a very interesting world with strange places and characters. The music in this film was the best music I've heard in a movie in a long time. The acting was amusing and little details about the characters' personalities was made in a very smart fashion that will keep you entertained through out the movie. I give Alice in Wonderland a 6 or 7 for all the fun that I had watching it, I wished it was 1 hour longer. Expand
  34. Mar 7, 2011
    I'd break this movie down into the following components: 1. Story: Three and a Half Stars; >>>> 2. Acting: Three Stars; Competent but not groundbreaking; >>>> 3. Sound and Visuals: Four Stars; Gorgeous but sometimes "too unreal." Yes that's an odd statement for a fantasy film. What I mean by this is that some times you are too aware that it is not real, in that it seems artificial. Well done effects can mute the aspect of artificiality, as I feel was done better in the second and third "Lord of the Rings films."; >>>> 4. Gestalt: The movie does not excel the sum of its components, as few films do. An example of one that does is "The King's Speech." >>>> My full cinema profile here: http://bit.ly/MyMovies Expand
  35. Apr 11, 2011
    This movie totally rocked. Johnny Depp, Mia however you spell her last name, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway i think did a fantastic job. This was one of my favorites of 2010.
  36. May 1, 2011
    Well thankyou Tim Buton, thankyou for at least making me want to deliberately avoid thinking about how much I hate this film. I summarise reasons below why I endeavour to avoid even remembering what it is I despised so much about this film, and why it actually makes me depressed just to write this review. In no particular order of awfulness:

1. The plot; it may as well not be there,
    it is just an excuse to go through hyper weird set pieces that end up looking like art student vomit. In fact there is no plot, I was wrong to even mention the word and I am sorry for that

2. Visual Direction; should have been made as another stop motion film a lá Nightmare or Corpse Bride, because the visual style they were going for was clearly done by someone who saw those films and thought long and hard about how to regurgitate them onto a green screen. 3. The voice acting; t his film is basically comprised of non-real characters who are cgi'd next to real ones, and they were mostly good (enough) but these 3 wanted to make me cry: The: Red Queen, awfully shrill (Queeny anyone?) and devoid of any real charm or humor. Dormouse, Barbara Windsor playing a ridiculously re-purposed character in a ridiculous over acted voice and Johnny Depp, a real actor performance you say? No, if you look closely you can see someone drew him in with Crayolas. 4. Johnny Depp: Please stop, oh God why won't you stop? What...are you, are you Scottish now? Why? Oh no....I'll pay you, whatever Burton offered I'll double. Just please...wait, what are you doing now? No please stop dancing...oh Christ no.No.No.No.

5. The Sacrilege: Hello source material! Goodbye source material!!!!! I recall fondly my childhood memories of bedtime stories when I was very young at around 5 to reading the books myself when 7 and feeling to this day the influence they have on my creativity and the very landscape of my mind, if you will. Only two years ago I finally found 'my copy' of the book at a book fair, a beautiful hardback 1970s ed with all the original J. Tenniel illustrations and including some letters by L. Carol and I was so excited to have it in my hand after years of borrowing the family copy. I read the book once every two years or so to refresh it in my mind without it becoming boring, and I was so excited to hear of the new film. I won't bother to go into detail, but everything about this hash of a cash cow got under my skin. When looking back on the original story, I loved most its purity and and it's otherworldly, edge-of-dreaming surrealism and of course Alice, because I found it so easy to take her place; and when I look at what they warped these inherent properties into I feel angry and almost physically sick.

There you go, I am done. This film is probably worth some mark other than zero, hell it's probably even worth a couple of good comments, but I am even too biased to care at this point abut being too biased. I am like a grieving parent who has had a child brutally murdered by a callous and dangerous killer, with no comprehension of the damage he has caused through his actions, my only hope is that this film will slowly rot away in a cell until everyone forgets about it and then maybe I can move on.
  37. Jul 3, 2011
    All the beauty and the hard work in creating Wonderland really pays off especially if seen in 3D.
    Tim Burton's dark direction of Alice In Wonderland is somewhat interesting, the finishing look looks well made but sometimes its a bit too gloomy and added with the dullness of a story that is all too mature for anybody 10 and under (Go figure: Alice is like in her late teens, more problems).
    The characters all have their own unique touch; Alice is the low key but she's not a chore to look at, Johnny Depp is as charming as ever (a more crazier take then Jack Sparrow), The Red Queen's big heart shaped head is BIG and Anne Hathaway's White Queen never stops putting her hands in the air. Each character has charm in them but when added with Tim Burton's touch, each of them have their own "dark side." Alice seems to be the normal one but the rest like Mad Hatter (his creepy red eyes) and White Queen (when she's not looking at her orchids she's in the kitchen making up a hot potion of fingers and saliva) are all mad but in a good-funny way. Let us not forget about Alan Rickman who plays an ugly-wrinkled caterpillar that only puffs on a cigarette or in a kid's interpretation 'sucking on a perfume looking bottle and blowing out circle clouds.'
    The whole entire film...lets just say, "Tim Burton, WHAT on Earth have you've been smoking?" The whole entire film is like on the high ride with Tim Burton which makes the film Mad! I guess its a good thing, whatever he's smoking seems to be working for him and while I was watching this film, I couldn't help but hallucinate as well. The Storyline of the Film: It gets a 60%.
    It was very simply done and told. It seems like every Disney movie has a theme which this one has. Theme: being brave and mad at the same time which is what I got out of it. I know other people think it's about governing yourself and taking the lead. The C.G.I usage of the Film: It gets an 80%
    Visually Striking! A movie that gets credits for the visuals.
    Overall: 70%
    It's an interesting film made only to catch the audience's eyes but it does little effect to move the heart.
  38. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    The acting is superbly wacky; Mia Wasikowska is excellent and Johnny Depp is perfectly cast. However this movie, which should more correctly be titled 'Through the Looking Glass,' features a plot and script so confusing and convoluted that the acting is lost in the muddle.
  39. Aug 15, 2011
    Alice in wonderland is good movie. But, action is so-so. It is gorgeous 3D movie!!!
    Tim Burton is nice character. I think that I want to watch again. Anne Jacqueline Hathaway is very cute!!!
  40. Aug 12, 2011
    This movie is very interesting movie. Alice's story is very famouse. so, I was execiting movie. And costume is very great and cute!! Gohnny depp is very cool !! I want to into the world. I try see movie again.
    I like fiction movie. Beatiful world i went to go!!!
  41. Aug 26, 2011
    Tim Burton was once called the cleverest and most imaginative filmmaker in Hollywood since David Lynch. A decade later he made Alice in Wonderland, and finally gave into his desire to be painter rather than a storyteller.
  42. Dec 10, 2011
    It is not what you could call "Burton's best film" and totally lacked the appeal of the original version but decent acting and incredible visual effects kept my attention through the whole movie.
  43. Jul 17, 2012
    This version actually makes sense unlike the original version, because there's an actual story rather than a sequence of random events like the original. Mia Wasikowska has a fine mainstream debut as Alice and the rest of the cast have fun performances including Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Despite Tim Burton's signature touch, it becomes quite ordinary towards the end. For what this movie was trying to do, I think it did a good job at it. Expand
  44. Aug 15, 2012
    For me the 1st 2/3rds of the film are a bit scatty and a mish-mash of ideas and plots - there's nothing quite holding the film together other than it's whacky visuals and the odd bit of magic. The last 3rd of the film really saves it though, and adds a lot of substance to earlier proceedings. It could have done with a lot more magic throughout, and also a bit more direction - but at no time is it unbearable and often it is fun, with that last 3rd being very good indeed. Expand
  45. May 30, 2014
    Despite a strong start to his career, in more recent years Tim Burton has somehow managed to monotonize the absurd. Johnny Depp in Wonderland is a prime example. Despite what die hard fans of Burton may say, there are no original ideas here it's just a bastardised version of what you've already seen. I think it's supposed to be a sequel but if that is the case it's a fairly terrible one.
    Alice comes to Wonderland (which is no called Underland for some reason) and is told she's apparently been there before when she was little but she keeps saying that was a different Alice and she also gets told she has to fight this huge monster thing called a Jabberwocky but she insists that is also a different Alice. Spoiler alert, it turns out Alice is Alice all along. What a **** twist.
    The supporting cast do a decent job but our leading lady, Mia Wasikowska, is a mind bogglingly bad actress. Fear, surprise, confusion, anger, happiness, worry, relief are all portrayed with the same vacant expression and flat tone of voice.
    There's just very little to praise about this film. The writing, story, direction, and acting are all sub-par and the CGI isn't all that impressive. I'd advise giving this one a miss.
  46. Nov 16, 2011
    Alice in Wonderland is a dull and cartoonish film that only provides Johnny Depp's always great acting. I was quite disappointed.
  47. May 26, 2012
    This film tends to be underrated by the other critics. It passionately tells Alice's story with wit and a lot of decent story ideas. Visuals and action are good as well.
  48. Jun 5, 2012
    Alice In Wonderland really is a mixed bag. I know that's hardly a way to begin a review, but when you've got a bag as mixed as this, it's hard to know quite where to start. I never can tell what Alice In Wonderland is trying to be, whether a drama, an action movie, a comedy, but it appears to be juggling all three at once, which provides mixed results, as I mentioned previously. Instead of being a mere adaption of the Alice In Wonderland book, Tim Burton instead creates a story that occurs 13 years after. Alice is set to marry a lord who she does not want to marry at all. Demands from her mother and parents of Alice's predetermined husband further confuse and frustrate Alice. So to escape it all, she follows a familiar rabbit into a rabbit hole, and we all know what will happen from there. Or do we? Since this is, in fact, 13 years after the original Wonderland incident, things have changed. Wonderland (or Underland, as we learn it is called) has become a much darker, and dangerous place. Alice is destined to slay a beast called the Jabberwocky, but she doubts herself, and the Red Queen wants her killed. It's all a little bit more complicated than it needs to be. But Underland is all about complications. I will start by pointing out Alice In Wonderland's biggest strength: The visuals. Between the magnificent makeup, the ridiculous costumes, the outrageous hair, and stunning special effects (and they are stunning sometimes), Alice In Wonderland is one of the most visually captivating films ever made. But if only everything else was as wonderful and undeniably incredible as the visual effects. The characters, while mostly amusing, feel a little bit...predictable. Tim Burton usually likes to recreate the characters, but instead, we get virtually the same characters from the book (and animated Disney movie), with little exception. True, Burton tries to flesh them out a bit more and add additional back story, but it does little to separate the characters in this adaption from the animated version. The acting, like the film, is a huge mixed bag. That's not to say that there are BAD actors. All the acting is very good, it's just expected. Predictable, like the characters. Most everyone is played by the book, with no special spin on almost any of them. Johnny Depp disappoints in his role as the Mad Hatter. He needs to be over the top and ridiculous. Instead, he's just rather ordinary. What happened to the wacky, bizzareness that be brought us in Charlie In The Chocolate Factory? But this isn't always the case with the acting. Helena Bonham Carter (as the Red Queen) is as outrageous and ridiculous as she needs to be, and more. Her acting is by far the most impressive in the film. Carter ends up doing the performance Depp should've done, but doesn't. One performance I didn't expect to like was Anne Hathaway's as The White Queen. "She's much too recognizable." I thought. And I was right. But she does perfectly. She's extremely dramatic and flowy, and she does a marvelous job. Without doing any research on the score beforehand, I knew that it was composed by Danny Elfman. After looking it up after the film, I was proven correct. Here's how I knew: It sounds like all his other scores. Yes, Elfman's a great composer, but all his scores sound alike, each borrowing elements from his last score. If Elfman can't get his act together, Burton may need to look for a new composer. My last opinion about Alice In Wonderland may be the most important: It makes sense. Well, mostly anyway. It's not nearly as whimsical and bizzare as it should be. It's actually, relatively straight forward. Alice In Wonderland just isn't weird enough. It needs to be more odd. More outrageous. The animated version did a much better job at this. I wanted to like this film. I wanted to love it. But Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland just isn't the film it should be. But it's not half-bad. If you haven't already seen Alice In Wonderland, it's not a bad diversion; it's just not a very good one. Expand
  49. Dec 13, 2011
    A very odd and unique film. I'm almost disappointed that I didn't see this in 3D. Which is the only reason why anyone should watch this. This film was very, very, very fast paced. It will also go on my list of Tim Burton's worst. A word of advice to Tim, stick to stop motion. Although, the best aspect of the film is the costume design. Especially Alice's red dress. It's a no drainer that this won for Best Achievement in Costume Design at Oscars. The next great thing about this film is the effects. Loved the part when Alice falls down the rabbit hole. With a stunning performance by Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast the acting was decent. There was a nice feel to the acting. There personalities where spot on, especially the Red Queen.To break it down, I recommend this movie to people that get board with good movies and love fashion. Expand
  50. Jun 10, 2012
    This actually my least favorite movie of all time. It does something that I hate where movies try to make some classic story into lord of the rings. I cannot stand that. That of course is my subjective opinion. There are many other things I don't like, the acting, the dialogue, the VFX. The Cheshire cat is good though. Not good enough to redeem a single point, but he was the best thing in the movie. Expand
  51. Feb 6, 2012
    I'm guessing this is one of those "loved by the public, hated by the critics"-type films. I, for one, found it delightful. What else would you expect when you have a wonderfully quirky author adapted by a wonderfully quirky director?
  52. Aug 24, 2014
    I saw Disney's version years ago when I was a kid (in Finnish), and don't recall all that much from it... other than that it was a weird, psychedelic movie. I think this matches the themes of the original quite well.

They should've handed out glossaries before the movie started because I certainly felt like I needed one. All the made-up words seemed like utter gibberish for most of the
    time, which probably was the idea, but they ruined some of the momentum of the film since your brain stops to wonder about all those strange words and their meaning and oh, hey, the scene has already moved on!

Since what was being said made very little sense, it was hard to follow what was going on at times - not to mention annoying. Repeated watches might alleviate this problem but is that really the point?

Even without the odd words, the movie's plot seemed to be... lacking something. Coherency, maybe?

Sure, events take place in a world that doesn't need to make any sense. The characters were very eccentric, especially Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter who made very little sense at best. (And if they tried to sell the movie with his performance, I'll have to say that his character wasn't nearly as powerful as I could have hoped.)

The plot itself was good - when it made sense - but there was still something missing. It was amusing, but not outrageously so, and while Alice had to struggle to choose whether or not she would take a path appointed to her, that particular fight seemed to go over rather smoothly in the end.

The movie looked beautiful and magical, and very unreal. Bright colors and deep darkness. There were some parts that were surprisingly gruesome, so this is most definitely not a movie for small kids.

A decent movie, but with a lot of cracks and holes in the story, not to mention missing something that would have stabilized the whole experience.

I have to say that the most enjoyable thing of all was the Cheshire Cat and the Hatter's hat.
  53. Aug 28, 2014
    A wreck that both Disney and Burton should be ashamed of. To take a literary classic and attempt to create an unnecessary new eerier world out of Wonderland is abysmal.
  54. Apr 3, 2012
    Alice in Wonderland is okay. Great visuals but the acting seem corny and the charcters looked stupid. An average film with average acting and average story.
  55. Sep 1, 2012
    The creativity of Tim Burton is what saves this movie. In all truth, it was very boring at times. It picked up at the end when more interesting characters appeared. It was still full of great wackiness though.
  56. Jul 4, 2013
    Here's what's wrong with Alice in Wonderland: it doesn't want to be Alice in Wonderland. It wants to be Narnia. The Dormouse's overhaul into a feisty fencer alone is clue enough, as if everything else weren't already screaming it at you through a megaphone. The problem is that it isn't Narnia, shouldn't be Narnia, and isn't nearly as good at being Narnia as Narnia. Johnny Depp is more annoying in this film than he has ever been before, creating a Mad Hatter who is just confusing instead of remotely endearing, and every other character is roughly him in miniature in this respect. It's not even the good, bewildering kind of confusing that you would expect from the source material: it's just the bad, boring kind of confusing that suggests the filmmakers didn't do their homework, didn't try to create a character with a meaningful identity, and didn't try to make sure their characters had actual purpose and plot relevance. The March Hare is reduced to a one-note side joke. The Dormouse has been marginally elevated...into a slightly DIFFERENT one-note side joke from the one in the book, with slightly more screen time (this time, the joke is that the Dormouse is a Reepicheep clone! HOW WONDERFUL!). The Mad Hatter is the only character from the tea party that seems to matter, but he's just annoying. The Tweedle twins are simply dull and underused instead of funny in any way. The White Rabbit is instantly forgettable, and you'll forget him every time you see him. Anne Hathaway, as the White Queen, hints at interesting character elements...that you will never ever see. Helena Bonham Carter is forced into a heartbreakingly shallow role as the Red Queen that everyone knows she is far too good for.

The only actors with roles that seemed to fit well were Crispin Glover as the Red Knave (and a chilling one at that; Glover, for all the notoriety he gained on Letterman, gets into his characters with an astonishing intensity, even in flops like this), Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat (because he seems to be perfect at everything he does), Alan Rickman as Absolem the Caterpillar (stupid though the name may be, Rickman's voice work is better than anyone could have ever expected, and he brings exactly the right note of condescending mystery that the caterpillar needs to have), and Christopher Lee as the Jabberwock (only two lines, but spoken SO WELL).

None of this is enough to save the movie from the fact that it doesn't want to be what it claims to be. It can never, ever escape this. The Alice trappings are just sort of "there", dangling around it, because it's clear to anyone with eyes that this movie began development after Disney bailed on the Chronicles of Narnia films so it wouldn't have to split the take with Walden Media, as an alternative to Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Lewis Carroll would probably be disgusted.
  57. Mar 8, 2014
    Nope. I'm going to say that if you have not watched the 1951 animation, you'll probably enjoy the film. If you have, it will certainly be a disappointment. It just does not have the strong heart that the cartoon had.
  58. Jun 25, 2012
    I loved the movie, especially the sets, clothes, and the provision of the actors (of course), but the story could have been different and the ending could have been another. Loved the provision of Leo Bill, although very small.
  59. Dec 23, 2013
    Although very entertaining and beautiful because of the color saturation that was used this live action adaption of Alice in Wonderland just doesn't seem to capture the "wonder" that is Wonderland. With the cast of the film it could have been much much more but the color saturation becomes borderline grotesque and it just falls short of being the truly magical Wonderland that we were all expecting. And as much as I like Tim Burton, these flaws are most likely his doing. Sometimes Burton's creepy touch is not what a film needs or should have. Expand
  60. Sep 29, 2012
    Terrible! Awful! Hideous! Johnny Depp ruined his career for starring as the Mad Hatter! The plot from the 1951 animated version (the one we all know and love) was massacred! And Alice wasn't even listed as the main character! For some reason, the Mad Hatter was. It's ALICE'S adventure in Wonderland! Not his! This is truly a disgrace to the "Wonderland series".
  61. May 30, 2014
    A pseudo sequel to the 1951 animated film, Tim Burton's Alice does a really good job of showing the titular character struggle with her inner demons and fight for the right to be her own person. It's mostly based on the book's sequel, Through the Looking Glass, but it gives special call outs to most of Lewis Carrol's short stories and poems, particularly The Jabberwocky. The cast is great, and the visuals and music are Oscar worthy!
    Very underrated film imo.
  62. Nov 26, 2012
    Having a 4 year old child, we've been watching a lot of versions of Alice in Wonderland. I was nervous about seeing the Burton version for two reasons: (1) the really negative critic reviews; and (2) it seemed a bit scary for my son. In fact, I felt that this was, by far, the best version of Alice in Wonderland I have ever seen. Unlike the others, the characters had tremendous depth, not just random strange entities with no overall connection. And that lead me to the other wonderful thing about the film: IT HAS A PLOT. It's not just a surreal drama, but there is a plot that keeps the viewer engaged throughout, and gives a purpose for each character's actions. I did NOT expect this from Burton. Is it true to the original? Not really, but it's so much better. Much like the play Wicked had certain aspects that were much better than the book. I honestly think that this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Expand
  63. Dec 30, 2012
    Great movie for the entire family, primarily the kids. Funny with family friendly action. Any parent should get this movie for their kid. But I dont recommend watching it more then once or twice, the most is just a bit too predictable.
  64. Mar 8, 2013
    It's pretty much just a film adaptation of the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll than the actual book that he wrote, that's not necessarily a bad thing but I just don't think that's what it should be about. Most other things are good though, acting, CGI, and I was entertained while I was watching it. It's a good movie, but definitely not a must-see.
  65. Apr 3, 2013
    This is absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. It's so corny, dull, and boring that's it's impossible to enjoy. Not to mention that it's extremely creepy and dark but it's a kid's movie! Do not let a child under 10 see it or he will be scarred for life. How did this make over a billion dollars on it's box office?!! The only reason it gets a one from me is because of the special effects. But other than that.............. Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  66. Jun 10, 2013
    All style very little substance. Tim Burton has a tendency to do this, the visuals look amazing, but unfortunately the story lacks entertainment. Plus as good as Johnny Depp is he's just kind of annoying here.
  67. Oct 15, 2013
    I think Tim Burton should get plenty of rest. He is rusty. "Alice in Wonderland" is a outrage for Lewis Carroll's novels. Film without charm and boring. If Burton wanted to destroy the memory of the 1951 film, he just find it.
  68. Mar 24, 2013
    I honestly expected this movie to be better than what it turned out to be. More a dissapointment than a disaster. But the main reason for the movies' bust is some of the acting, especially Mia's portrayl of Alice. Out of all the characters, Alices' was the worst. It made me hate this movie more than try to enjoy it. Aside from it's fairly descent visuals, you've really just entered a boring world that doesn't get better. Expand
  69. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. you know, remakes suck. Ever so rarely is there a new version that is substantial or even better than the original. This one is neither. It is an instant cash grab of the most iconic tale of wonderment and enchantment, turned into a clichéd pop corn flick. Just throw this movie in the pile of movies that look good, but lack any good direction in story and development. First off, Tim Burton. Why do he keep doing these remakes; maybe he didn't actually do that many and I'm just being angry right now, but he hasnto stop. Why, why oh why can't Hollywood just leave our childhood alone? Enough ranting, time to get serious. The main problem with this movie is surprisingly the amount of darkness in it, not that I dislike it, but I feel that there's not enough or too much at times. At times you see really ghastly images; speaking of which just about 90% of this flick is CGI, and other times it's not. Of course you have Johnny Depp. he does an okay job as the mad hatter, nothing great just fine. Alice is easily forgettable and I don't I just don't care about her, all I care about her is that she has to fight some dragon in the end. Which is another problem, in the first 10 minutes or so, they just flat out tell you how it's going to end, in a cliché manner. I know there's this quest of understanding and all, but stopped prolonging the inevitable. The only none effect related comment I can say about this flick is that the red queen played by Helen Boncarter: I think, does a good job at being extremely over the top, and she's fun to watch. That's it I guess, I don't like this movie, and I don't recommend this to many people. Expand
  70. Sep 21, 2013
    Tim Burton tried to make this movie work, but just couldn't quite pull it off. Depp is fun to watch, dancing around the scenes while making an ass out of himself, while Anne Hathaway plays a roll she can't quite fit into. There is enough eye candy to keep you awake, but just like movies of kin, eye candy isn't enough.
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    Wonderland isn't all that wonderful.
    An utterly average adaption of a classic book. Alice in Wonderland attempts greatness with its Tim Burton twists when in reality it falls very far off course. The acting is good, but the script needs work. The movie is long and drawn out with really only one scene of action, the entertainment level just isn't there.

1. A fantastical romp that proves every bit as transporting as that movie about the blue people of Pandora, his "Alice" is more than just a gorgeous 3D sight to behold.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For all its clever design, beguiling creatures and witty actors, the picture feels far more conventional than it should; it's a Disney film illustrated by Burton, rather than a Burton film that happens to be released by Disney.
  3. Tim Burton, plus Alice, plus 3D equals an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind movie experience. It will clean up.