Along Came Polly

4.5

1. EricY.
    Jan 18, 2004
    I enjoyed the movie, but I also know that it could have been funnier. I was going to give it a 5, but it gets extra credit for Jennifer Aniston being sooooo hot.
  2. SaerA.
    Jun 19, 2004
    Along Came Polly is funnier than I thought.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Enjoyable enough for what you except it to be. Jennifer Aniston's presence is always easy to watch while Ben Stiller can be obnoxious. Predictable as any romantic comedy can be.
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    Give this one some credit. It's a funny, light-hearted rom-com that manages not make us angry about its cliches. We just sit in and let it fly by, and we're content when it ends. Why? Because we weren't expecting much to begin with.
  5. Kent
    Jan 19, 2004
    My expectations going in were "I hope all the funny parts were not shown in the trailers." After watching it, sadly 99% of them were and I can't even remember which funny parts were not in the trailer. Could have been much better, but basically just fell flat with the story and the comedy. Doesn't come close to "Something About Mary" and "Meet the Parents". Not worth watching at My expectations going in were "I hope all the funny parts were not shown in the trailers." After watching it, sadly 99% of them were and I can't even remember which funny parts were not in the trailer. Could have been much better, but basically just fell flat with the story and the comedy. Doesn't come close to "Something About Mary" and "Meet the Parents". Not worth watching at the movies, at best it's a rental. Expand
  6. Debra
    Jan 20, 2004
    Ugly and dumb. The less said the better.
  7. Fantasy
    Jan 17, 2004
    This flick is too dumb for even Polly to want a cracker.
  8. Tom
    Jan 20, 2004
    More Stiller-does-templated "comedy" nonsense. What's funny is that this movie screams risk aversion yet moralizes that it's bad to live your life not taking any chances. The only chance this movie takes is ruining Aniston's movie career before it really takes off. Oh and to the editor - "I could have died laughing" was a sarcastic thing we used to say in grade school when More Stiller-does-templated "comedy" nonsense. What's funny is that this movie screams risk aversion yet moralizes that it's bad to live your life not taking any chances. The only chance this movie takes is ruining Aniston's movie career before it really takes off. Oh and to the editor - "I could have died laughing" was a sarcastic thing we used to say in grade school when something was not funny at all. Said in a really condescending tone of voice. [Ed: Ahh....] Expand
  9. lol
    Jan 24, 2004
    Omg, this is mediocre.
  10. PollyD.
    Jan 30, 2004
    Did they have to name this movie after me? Now I'm embarassed each time my name is called. This is a disaster from the start to the finish. If you saw the trailer then you already saw the movie. Absolute garbage.
  11. Hades
    Feb 19, 2004
    Started out decent, it had something going for it at first, somewhat interesting characters, some genuine laughs... but then it degenerated into nothingness fairly quickly, its as if the people behind the movie didnt know what to do next and just threw in a bunch of complications to try to create some kind of a conflict in the movie and it just ended up feeling cliche. The ending was Started out decent, it had something going for it at first, somewhat interesting characters, some genuine laughs... but then it degenerated into nothingness fairly quickly, its as if the people behind the movie didnt know what to do next and just threw in a bunch of complications to try to create some kind of a conflict in the movie and it just ended up feeling cliche. The ending was insulting to anyone with intelligence too, rubbing peanuts on the ground...please. It had a bit too much poo-poo humor too. The scene someone else mentioned where Reuben's friend takes his place in a meeting isnt funny or inspiring at all, he goes unbelievably from asinine to convincing? I don't think so, not even in a movie is that believable and it was just corny. And when Rueben's father does finally speak it's supposed to be some revolutionary, insightful moment but it just came off as hokey and forced. Now that I think about it this movie was quite poor I was going to give it a 5 or a 4 but that is too much.. Expand
  12. RussellC.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Half-way through, a couple got up and left the theater. It took all my willpower not to join them. I was waiting for the "funny" to kick in, but somehow it never did. Bizarrely, the critics liked this more than "The Butterfly Effect," which was noticeably superior!
  13. WillC.
    Jan 17, 2004
    Ben Stiller deserves better than this motley mess. Funny? I could have died laughing.
  14. Mar 18, 2013
    Not the worst movie ever made, but Stiller and Aniston play predictable and overdone characters in a setting that proves to be too familiar. Minus the laughs and the two big stars flounder in a romantic comedy that fails to intrigue or move those who watch it. You'd expect a lot from this pairing but Stiller just plays a safer and more boring version of 'Gaylord Focker' whilst AnistonNot the worst movie ever made, but Stiller and Aniston play predictable and overdone characters in a setting that proves to be too familiar. Minus the laughs and the two big stars flounder in a romantic comedy that fails to intrigue or move those who watch it. You'd expect a lot from this pairing but Stiller just plays a safer and more boring version of 'Gaylord Focker' whilst Aniston feels very much like her 'friends' character without the antics (although she promotes herself as a risk taker) Both actors have excellent movies in their collections, simply erase this one from memory and switch to some of their golden material. Expand
  15. PatC.
    Nov 8, 2004
    A dumb-down for the ages. It had me on the edge of my seat thinking OK, now am I going to like this part. Almost clicked so many times, each one more exasperating than the last. One point for Bryan Brown as the only carbon-based life form in play, one point for Missy Pyle's bit part - she is such a natural for goofball roles, and I gotta give extra credit for the flippers. All in A dumb-down for the ages. It had me on the edge of my seat thinking OK, now am I going to like this part. Almost clicked so many times, each one more exasperating than the last. One point for Bryan Brown as the only carbon-based life form in play, one point for Missy Pyle's bit part - she is such a natural for goofball roles, and I gotta give extra credit for the flippers. All in all, almost not a bad movie. Expand
  16. BobT
    Jul 13, 2004
    I don't have high standards for romantic comedies, but the plot and humor were pretty thin. They had some funny moments, the scuba and bathroom scenes and the other ones in the trailer, but they are few and far between. There is no chemistry and all the relationship development between Stiller and Aniston was pretty lame.
  17. TexA.
    Jul 5, 2004
    This only gets a 1 because of Hank Azaria's funny French accent. Otherwise, it sucked.
  18. AndyC
    Jun 25, 2005
    I loved this movie. Ben Stillers friend is absolutely hilarious and steals the show. I can see why people might have a problem with the ending if they don't understand how the insurance industry works. I really liked this movie, even though I thought I would hate it.
  19. DarrenC.
    Sep 25, 2004
    This was the funniest movie dont listen to those stupid people they dont know a good movie when they see it.
  20. RobS.
    Jan 23, 2004
    Ben Stiller is funny as usual, and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Alec Baldwin are hysterical in supporting roles. However Jennifer Aniston and Stiller have zero chemistry and that is being generous. Since this is a romantic comedy you need both elements. So, while there are some genuinely funny moments there is absolutely no romance. Also some of the scenes that were supposed to be funny are Ben Stiller is funny as usual, and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Alec Baldwin are hysterical in supporting roles. However Jennifer Aniston and Stiller have zero chemistry and that is being generous. Since this is a romantic comedy you need both elements. So, while there are some genuinely funny moments there is absolutely no romance. Also some of the scenes that were supposed to be funny are absolute disasters. the scene where Hoffman fills in for Stiller at work is not even close to funny and is painful to watch. So unless you really like Ben Stiller or want to enjoy Baldwin for the 10 minutes he is in this movie, wait for the video. Expand
  21. JasonC.
    Feb 14, 2004
    This was an extreme disappointment. It was rarely funny and always predictable. Ben Stiller and Jennifer Anniston actually did a fairly decent job, but it wasn't enough to rescue the horrible story and even worse direction. This film had no continuity whatsoever and lacked any originality. I'll give it a 5 just because it made me laugh or smile about 5 times the entire movie.
  22. RobertA.
    Jun 22, 2004
    Funny thing i start at 100 when i grade movies. this movie slipped down pretty far from 100. by the time the movie was over my score was 40. and i just realize average critic grade is 40. this movie has some fun. but it then has other stuff that just doesn't fit. enjoyable if you let it. i did. but a 40 is as much as i can give it. rob.
  23. PatrickS.
    Jun 23, 2004
    Though this movie had a few suprise twists, I still thought this Polly was one hilarious movie! When he's good, Mr. Stiller is very good indeed, and Along Came Polly stands with the best work he's done. It's fast-moving, unpredictable, and as tautly, tightly wound as comedies get. Stiller absolutely astounds as a risk management man with a fear of danger! He and Jennifer Though this movie had a few suprise twists, I still thought this Polly was one hilarious movie! When he's good, Mr. Stiller is very good indeed, and Along Came Polly stands with the best work he's done. It's fast-moving, unpredictable, and as tautly, tightly wound as comedies get. Stiller absolutely astounds as a risk management man with a fear of danger! He and Jennifer Aniston make such a sweet couple, they should get married! I know that ACP is the perfect summer movie for all ages! Expand
  24. Oct 29, 2014
    Reuben Feffer (Stiller) is a risk assessment manager who has played everything safe his entire life. When he catches his fiance in a compromising position with her scuba diving instructor he returns home heartbroken and unsure how to get his life back in order. Taking advice from his boss and friend he soon runs into the risk-taking, and slightly crazy, Polly (Aniston).

Anyone that has

Anyone that has seen this type of movie before (particularly the superior 'Theres Something About Mary') will know exactly what to expect, namely all manner of crazy scenarios in which Ben Stiller is able to do what Ben Stiller does, and that includes the now mandatory silly dance. There are a number of funny moments throughout this movie, many provided by the excellent Philip Seymour Hoffman as a washed up 80's movie star, and for any men in the audience Aniston is as gorgeous as ever. It is however hard not to feel that you have seen it all before.
  25. Sep 2, 2011
    ALONG CAME POLLY is a sometimes-funny, average Ben Stiller film. Keep in mind he was also working on MEET THE FOCKERS and DODGEBALL in 2004, so you can't expect much.
  26. Jan 2, 2012
    Without its major silliness it would've had heart and some good performances. But sadly it is too raunchy to be taken seriously at all. I give this movie 16%. Yeah don't see this.
  27. Sep 1, 2014
    I never understood why no one believed in Jen Aniston and Ben Stiller. I loved it, every step of the way. And I keep going back for seconds, thirds, etc.
  28. Aug 13, 2014
    The movie has it's laugh,and the actors are not that bad but Ben Stiller can do better than this.The movie is too predictable,even Philip Seymour Hoffman can't save the movie.
  29. Jun 10, 2014
    Along Came Polly: 4 out of 10: Welcome to Dharma and Greg the movie. Some stupendously unoriginal ideas meet Ben Stiller going to the Farrelly Brothers' well once to often.

For example blind sweater wearing ferrets are not funny or cute for that matter and what ganja toking screenwriter would think so. (John Hamburg actually who penned the much funnier Zoolander as well as Meet the Parents)

The bathroom humor is not funny and kills the romantic plot. Stiller uses a decorative bath towel instead of toilet paper on a first date with Jennifer Aniston. The fact that they have a second date pushes this movie into the realm of science fiction. I've known woman to end a ten-year marriage for less.

Some ideas were funny on their own (Philip Seymour Hoffman's child actor character for example) but not nearly enough are done with them and we are quickly back to Dharma and Greg um excuse me Stiller and Aniston. Actually if it wasn't for Hoffman as well as Alec Baldwin's Jewish boss character and Bryan Brown's Australian eccentric there wouldn't have been much of a laugh during the entire film.

It's pretty sad when you are wishing the leads would leave the screen so we can get back to the funny stuff. (Though Anniston does look hot in her PG-13 sex scene.

The director (John Hamburg again) cut Debra Messing's rap song as not in tone with the film (seen in deleted scenes). He was right it wasn't in tone with the rest of the film. It was freaking hilarious. More outrageously funny scenes and less of the usual Stiller stick and romantic plot would have been welcome.

1. Might be a lame, formulaic comedy, but it sets up entertaining sequences cleverly designed for the talents of three of its stars and has the good sense to get out of the way and let audiences enjoy their performances.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Writer-director John Hamburg does everything he can to pair up Ben Stiller's stiff, safety-first corporate man with Jennifer Aniston's free spirit in Along Came Polly, but the two are so fundamentally incompatible that story loses credibility long before the gags stop coming.
    Largely innocuous and forgettable, Polly lacks "Mary's" romantic pathos and psychosexual anxiety and is a few squirmy set pieces shy of "Meet the Parents."