8.1

1. FlorianH.
    Feb 20, 2004
    Yoon C. makes some good points, but Amadeus was never intended to be a realistic documentary so the analysis is a bit flawed. Also remember the tale is told to a clergyman through the eyes and ears of Salieri. Mediocrity comsumed Salieri's mind.
  2. GaborA.
    Jun 26, 2004
    One of the greatest and most admirable features of this movie is its PG rating. This film entertains on every level without graphic violence, sex, or language. One of the greatest.
  3. AshleyK.
    Oct 6, 2002
    To be succinct: the best movie I have ever seen, indisputably!!
  4. JohnT.
    Apr 6, 2002
    This is an unforgetable movie from start to finish.
  5. Dec 14, 2012
    This wonderful piece of historical-fiction brings to the table a variety of entertainment. Milo
  6. Danny
    May 1, 2002
    My favorite movie of all time. And in my view, F. Murray Abraham's performance is the greatest acting performance in the history of movie and drama-making. His performance is THE standard against which ALL acting performances should be measured.
  7. BillS.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Every time I see this movie it seems to get better.
  8. MichaelA
    Aug 11, 2009
    A celebration in music, cinematography, with witty dialogues, & interesting story, told in the flashback mode from an asylum.
  9. MaestroMulroneycakes
    Dec 9, 2002
    If there has ever been a better biopic, please let me know, because as far as I can tell, "Amadeus" is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. F Murray is spot-on as the seething Salieri, Tom Hulce is almost as good, perfect as a wonderfully irritating but oddly endearing Mozart. And Jeffrey "Say it ain't so" Jones is hillarious. Forman, meanwhile, has never done a better If there has ever been a better biopic, please let me know, because as far as I can tell, "Amadeus" is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. F Murray is spot-on as the seething Salieri, Tom Hulce is almost as good, perfect as a wonderfully irritating but oddly endearing Mozart. And Jeffrey "Say it ain't so" Jones is hillarious. Forman, meanwhile, has never done a better directorial job, and Shaffer's adaption of his own play is only criticizable on two scores: leaving out most of the "grazie, signor" speech; and slight historical inaccuracy, which has only come to light recently anyway. This is powerful, compelling film-making that needs to be seen. Oh, and the soundtrack rocks bells as well. Obviously. Expand
  10. BradleyE.
    May 17, 2002
    In terms of times seen (at least ten) my all-time favorite. The greatest composer of all time portrayed as someone you'd more expect to meet a frat house still makes me smile. Great casting all around. Some great lines and of course great music.
  11. DCLWolf
    May 28, 2002
    Brilliant! One of the major accomplishes of this film that rarely is acknowledged, is how it captures the spirit of creativity, and the amazingly destructive while still inspiring magic of genius, and how perilously close it runs alongside madness.
  12. jayL
    May 19, 2008
    Sublime, superb, marvelous-do I need say more?? The whole movie had a rich, creamy, completely finished feel. Everything was perfect, from the philosophical questions right down to the heart-breaking soundtrack who no one could have composed but Mozart. Oh!! The questions it stirred, the way it, not mocks but observes human faults and then the humour!! It somehow found the perfect balance Sublime, superb, marvelous-do I need say more?? The whole movie had a rich, creamy, completely finished feel. Everything was perfect, from the philosophical questions right down to the heart-breaking soundtrack who no one could have composed but Mozart. Oh!! The questions it stirred, the way it, not mocks but observes human faults and then the humour!! It somehow found the perfect balance to make you laugh and cry in exact unison. It had me completely hooked. I'd give it an 100000000 if I could. A+. Expand
  13. Stacie
    Apr 5, 2002
    My favorite movie of all time.
  14. BrianJ.
    Sep 3, 2002
    10 points from Denmark!!!!!
  15. NeilK.
    Dec 6, 2003
    It is unfair that a brilliant film from 1984, got BETTER!!! I was amazed at how much richer the supporting performances became. (particularly Elizabeth Berridge)
  16. RickR.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I'm 55 and an AVID movie fan. This is on my top ten list. It hits ALL the buttons--acting, editing, cinematography, score, etc. and excels in all categories.
  17. LijunH.
    May 22, 2004
    Wonderful music.....sorry for the sad ending.
  18. BryanH
    Feb 4, 2007
    It had it all; the best acting from the entire cast including competing best actor noms, the best cinematography ever, music (of course, extraordinaire). Costuming, make-up, the finest of any film ever made and a juxtaposition of comedy and tragedy that defines drama.
  19. EnzoP.
    Jul 2, 2009
    Amadeus is one of my favorite movies ever a near perfect movie. It's dazzling, very interesting and funny. Also F. Murray Abraham puts on a one of a kind performance.
  20. PatC.
    Dec 22, 2003
    I thought the original was a 10 movie, but I agree with Yoon's observation below. Mozart was as good as he was presented, but his contemporaries were not as bad.
  21. YoonC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    A terribly misconceived populist movie about classical music. Hulce is entertaining and the point about genius obeying its own rules is well taken; still, it's too cartoonish in the Three Stooges mold. One wonders if a Looney Tunes character wouldn't have done just as well? Also, the genius of Mozart is misappreciated by showing his competition as mediocre; in this dynamic, A terribly misconceived populist movie about classical music. Hulce is entertaining and the point about genius obeying its own rules is well taken; still, it's too cartoonish in the Three Stooges mold. One wonders if a Looney Tunes character wouldn't have done just as well? Also, the genius of Mozart is misappreciated by showing his competition as mediocre; in this dynamic, Mozart is good, everyone else is bad. Had the movie presented Mozart's peers as excellent composers and musicians yet with Mozart reaching even greater heights, the film would have paid a more respectful, more proper appreciation of Mozart's genius. Great performance by F. Murray Abraham. Expand
  22. AndrewM.
    Nov 3, 2004
    Amadeus is an effortlessly entertaining film, to put it mildly. I won't, in fact I cannot, critique it in detail as I have only seen it the onc time, as an 8 yr old when it was first released. To be honest I can remember very little about it, other than Hulce, Abraham, Berridge and of course the music. The question must arise then: how can I rate it if my memory of it is so scant? Amadeus is an effortlessly entertaining film, to put it mildly. I won't, in fact I cannot, critique it in detail as I have only seen it the onc time, as an 8 yr old when it was first released. To be honest I can remember very little about it, other than Hulce, Abraham, Berridge and of course the music. The question must arise then: how can I rate it if my memory of it is so scant? Simple, because as an 8 yr old I was completely bowled over by this film. I was enthralled, stunned, shocked and entertained - and wild horses could not have dragged me away, not for any one of the 158 mins that it ran. While everything else may be hidden in cloudy haze of time-worn memory, I will never forget how this film captured my heart, imagination and soul. A classic. Expand
  23. JoeB.
    Mar 11, 2005
    Great movie that doesn't take itself too seriously...so it should be viewed in that respect. If I wanted a documentary, I'd watch the history channel special on Mozart.
  24. JennyG.
    May 19, 2006
    this has always been and will forever be my favorite movie of all time. i have honestly seen this movie at least 30 or 40 times; about half of those viewings was when i was a child, not able to even follow the story line completely. i suppose most of what kept me coming back for more was mozart's brilliant compositions, which all have a certain sweetness to them that no other this has always been and will forever be my favorite movie of all time. i have honestly seen this movie at least 30 or 40 times; about half of those viewings was when i was a child, not able to even follow the story line completely. i suppose most of what kept me coming back for more was mozart's brilliant compositions, which all have a certain sweetness to them that no other composer has ever been able to duplicate. as i got older and was able to understand everything that was going on in the story, i fell even deeper in love with this film. it was just about six months ago that i bought the director's cut - the deleted scenes (although strange to see after having seen the original dozens and dozens of times) shed a whole new light on the movie that i have basically memorized line for line. truly brilliant. Expand
  25. Rev.Rikard
    Jun 23, 2006
    What a great vehicle for presenting an ancient, yet still relevant theological/existential question: Why does God give gifts of remarkable creativity and ingenuity to those who treat those gifts with such shallow reverence? Furthermore, why does God endow those who passionately desire these gifts with medicore ability? Almost everyone could identify with Salieri.
  26. Mar 8, 2011
    great movie. Tom Hulce a great actor.i love when he does his nervous laugh. it is true most artists are weird they have a artistic mind. being a genius has its cons.
  27. Jan 9, 2012
    Amazing movie! Great story and brilliant music. Maybe it's a bit too long, but on the end it's worth every second of your time. Totally a must watch!!
  28. Aug 12, 2012
    From the most important contemporary Czech director Milos Forman, whose sole work I have watched before is THE PEOPLE VS. LARRY FLYNT (1996, an 8/10) and he has gotten hold of two Oscar wins for BEST DIRECTOR, one for this film and another one for ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO
  29. Sep 30, 2014
    One word: Brilliant! It is in my top 10...do I need to say more? You have to watch it, that is the only way you can make up your mind! Forget about the reviews, go and experience this movie yourself! My son watched it for the first time when he was 10 ( 4 years ago) and guess what he did after we watched it together? He went to internet to learn more about Mozart and his biography. He fellOne word: Brilliant! It is in my top 10...do I need to say more? You have to watch it, that is the only way you can make up your mind! Forget about the reviews, go and experience this movie yourself! My son watched it for the first time when he was 10 ( 4 years ago) and guess what he did after we watched it together? He went to internet to learn more about Mozart and his biography. He fell in love with Amadeus! Milos Forman inspired him! I think that tells you a lot about the value of this film. In Amadeus, the cinematography, scenography, costumes, plot, etc, are perfect! I couldn't recommend it more! Expand
  30. Jul 31, 2013
    A near perfect fim that is just magical and marvelous. With its sensational acting and wonderfully interesting story it amounts to one of the finest movie achievements.
  31. JMH
    May 7, 2012
    How better to tell a story of mediocrity, the average human condition, than by telling a story of a genius through the eyes of a mediocrity? Amadeus is not a film about Mozart, played flamboyantly by Tom Hulce; it's a film about his contemporary Antonio Salieri, played by F. Murray Abraham as a sort of composer-everyman. The film's plot is largely fictional, with its earliest source inHow better to tell a story of mediocrity, the average human condition, than by telling a story of a genius through the eyes of a mediocrity? Amadeus is not a film about Mozart, played flamboyantly by Tom Hulce; it's a film about his contemporary Antonio Salieri, played by F. Murray Abraham as a sort of composer-everyman. The film's plot is largely fictional, with its earliest source in Alexandr Pushkin's 1830 Mozart and Salieri. Salieri blames God for meting out the greatest gift He could offer a composer, genius, with cruel unfairness. Salieri feels he's a devoted servant of God, via his music. But comes Mozart, in Salieri's eyes a pagan who nonetheless creates, sans effort, music Salieri knows to be genius -- this "idle loafer" (per Pushkin) has been granted God's gift. Salieri can't accept this injustice, and he plots Mozart's death, all the while hearing the voice of God in Mozart's art. Herein, Amadeus tackles two eternal themes in man's relationship with genius. The seeming arbitrariness of genius -- placed in select hands -- belittles ordinary men. Yet the product of genius raises ordinary men beyond the brutalities of worldly existence. Most of us are mediocrities mocked and enlightened by some form of genius we don't fully comprehend. Accordingly, Salieri's mission takes on ironic motive: "I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint." Taking a step back, should genius be stamped out because it's inegalitarian by nature, or relished because it enlightens the vulgar masses of which we're a part? Director Milos Forman allows both possibilities to play out brilliantly. And from Forman there are deeper questions, as the Czechoslovakian-born director lost his parents in the Holocaust and emigrated to the U.S. when the Soviets invaded his homeland. Most specifically, does genius have the potential to save men from themselves and their worst collective impulses? At its heart, Amadeus asserts, emphatically, that it does. Expand
  32. Jun 4, 2015
    A biographical film of epic proportions, Amadeus is a riveting look at Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart through the eyes of Antonio Salieri. Though the accuracy of the film is certainly not 100%, it still proves to be an entertaining and informative biopics that manages to keep you wrapped up for all three hours (I saw the director's cut). F. Murray Abraham is great as Mozart's jealous rivalA biographical film of epic proportions, Amadeus is a riveting look at Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart through the eyes of Antonio Salieri. Though the accuracy of the film is certainly not 100%, it still proves to be an entertaining and informative biopics that manages to keep you wrapped up for all three hours (I saw the director's cut). F. Murray Abraham is great as Mozart's jealous rival Salieri, but to me, the real star here was Elizabeth Berridge, who plays Mozart's wife. In an innocent, vulnerable, strong, and entirely powerful performance, she manages to keep Mozart focused and keep him grounded, while also doing the same for the viewer. She is marvelous here and turns in an entirely enchanting performance. Tom Hulce, who plays Mozart, does well, but his performance is incredibly over the top and that proves to be a bit annoying at times. In no surprise, the music in the film is truly incredible and enrapturing. The production design and costume design are also top of the line. Finally, the direction from Milos Forman is grand in scale and phenomenal. This one was told quite well and really worked on multiple levels. A riveting film from beginning to end, Amadeus stands tall as a great biopic. Expand
  33. Sep 4, 2012
    Absolutely amazing. The watcher needs no prior knowledge of classical music to enjoy this movie because the plot is so riveting and the acting is so great. Afterwards the viewer may become interested in classical music just because this movie does an exceptional job displaying Mozart and Salieri's lives in an extremely interesting and captivating way.
  34. Dec 19, 2012
    I saw this film when i was in eigth grade. I thought it would be boring, dull and incredibly moronic. How wrong I was. This movie is AMAZING! There are no words to describe its greatness. It is a visual treat that attracts the eye, and a glorious feast for music fans (and non-classical fans as well) It is close to perfection as movies come. Like Jaws, The Godfather, Raiders of the LostI saw this film when i was in eigth grade. I thought it would be boring, dull and incredibly moronic. How wrong I was. This movie is AMAZING! There are no words to describe its greatness. It is a visual treat that attracts the eye, and a glorious feast for music fans (and non-classical fans as well) It is close to perfection as movies come. Like Jaws, The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark,Toy Story 3, and other great classics- i consider this to be my top favorite all time movie. It deserves all the awards it received. The only flaw it has, Tom Hulce didn't win best actor (but F. Murray Abraham did) IT IS AMAZING! Expand
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    Massive in terms of scale, talent, and allure, "Amadeus" remains an epic in every sense of the word.
  36. Oct 28, 2013
    My first impression was that it was a humorous movie. Gradually, the tone turned darker as Mozart turned inwards for inspiration, losing his boyish charm in the process. The music composed during this period was the most compelling. But his rival dogs his every step, sabotaging his success by using his influence at the court. Unlike some of the musicals which give me a headache afterwards,My first impression was that it was a humorous movie. Gradually, the tone turned darker as Mozart turned inwards for inspiration, losing his boyish charm in the process. The music composed during this period was the most compelling. But his rival dogs his every step, sabotaging his success by using his influence at the court. Unlike some of the musicals which give me a headache afterwards, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, because there was ample humour and dialogue between the musical pieces. I have never enjoyed opera but here I could not get enough of it, for there is no denying that Mozart is a freaking genius. I had never had a full dosage of Mozart before I watched the movie and I'm glad I got introduced to his work in its full swing. For the naive viewer, this is a piece of fiction and you should take it like that. There is no evidence that Mozart's career turned out as it is depicted in this movie. It is based on a play by the famous Russian poet Pushkin, whose life could also do with a dramatic film. Expand
  37. May 27, 2014
    I am not enthralled by the content, slanders an innocent man's name, whose only real offense was confessing that the whole world's neglect of Mozart led to his downfall, and his guilt led to his scapegoating by society, in a play by Pushkin, an outright a**hole who was killed in a duel by his brother in law over some insult.
    But anyway, the film is a visual masterpiece, and the script is
    But anyway, the film is a visual masterpiece, and the script is sublime, the (albeit superimposed) music is incredibly nostalgic, and the acting is perhaps some of the best I've seen from [mostly] American actors. I feel sorry for Murray Abraham, and his curse.
  38. Jan 29, 2014
    Amadeus crescendos, decrescendos, speeds up, slows down, and is a masterpiece, just like one of Mozart's symphonies. The movie is almost perfect with the right balance of humor, drama, and even the scene length and cinematography is almost down to a science. Bravo, Maestro.
  39. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Amadeus was alright, although it was three hours. The first hour and a half was good, but the next hour was really boring, and the last half hour was alright, so that's why I rated it a 7.
  40. Jun 10, 2014
    Amadeus: 7 out of 10: Brilliantly filmed fictional account of the rivalry between Antonio Salieri (Well deserved Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham) and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Tom Hulce in a daring performance).

The costumes and settings are spot on as only great Hollywood historical dramas can pull off. (This is one place independent film doesn't hold a candle to Hollywood). With the exception of Elizabeth Berridge as Mozart's wife the supporting cast is excellent (especially Jeffery Jones who plays Emperor Joseph the 2nd like Martin Sheen playing a Kennedy.)

The plot line of an old Salieri confessing to a priest how he turned his back on God after realizing the almighty gave Mozart not himself this divine talent is a wonderful and emotionally satisfying tool to hang the plot. Salieri is a wonderful protagonist as it is easy to identify with the jealousy one feels towards those to whom talent comes so easy and seems almost squandered.

Besides Berridge's performance there are a few minor quibbles with the film. The music is very opera heavy and not terrible representative of either Mozart's work or some of the pieces that invariably made him immortal (It's a bit like doing a biopic of Beethoven and leaving out his 5th and 9th symphonies.)

The movie is also bit long and drags some in the middle. In one scene during the performance of The Marriage of Figaro the Emperor yawns and Salieri goes into great detail how the number of yawns affects how long the opera will run. At 2 hours 40 minutes it saying something that Amadeus only rated one yawn from myself.
  41. Aug 17, 2014
    A great period drama, "Amadeus" is not a Mozart's biopic, as many things, including the murder, are historically deemed fictional, but boasts great performances, a balanced plot and astonishing visuals, thanks to its beautiful setting and costumes. Certainly enjoyable, even if there is no point to get from its quite imaginary story.
  42. Jun 19, 2015
    "The man... The music... The madness... The murder... The motion picture... Everything you've heard is true." I put off watching Amadeus because I really wasn't sure I would enjoy it. Well, this film proved worthy of all the accolades and my time. It's a powerful drama.

Remains the most popularly successful film ever to render the inner life of an artist.
  2. Amadeus needs an additional 20 minutes running time like "The Magic Flute" needs a drum solo. Though the production is gussied up with more frills and decoration than a Viennese dessert trolley, Forman is generally workmanlike in his visual style and very uneven with his handling of actors.
    Except for the Mozart music and Tharp movements around the edges, Amadeus plays like a monument to mediocrity. The movie belongs to Salieri.