7.6

1. Jule
    Nov 25, 2001
    I may have smiled about 2 seconds during the 2 hours long. Ultimately boring, mixing MTV kind of VisualFX's with awful color saturation, tedious script, hollow characters and like i said not funny at all. I am stunned by the positive reviews. J-P Jeunet confirms he's a joke as far as cinema is concerned.
  2. Carol-AnnC.
    Feb 23, 2002
    After reading mostly favorable reviews I went to see this ridiculoous film. Vladimar P. criticized Robert H for his 2 rating. Vladimar I do not know what stuff you're smoking but this movie was heartless, boring and downright ugly. What a dissapointment! Vladimar do not give up your day job.
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    fantastic movie with very nice moments... it really opened d door for french movies in my entertainment list.. i love this movie... and d best part about is that despite being a silly rom com it has d magnitude of a light hearted thriller..
  4. Dec 10, 2013
    This is an odd but very attractive movie with tons of strange characters and unusual situations. The main character is a girl who tries to help other people but can't settle her own life. The filming is great, the colors are bright. I thought this will be more lika girl-type of movie, but no, it appeared somehow similar to "Mr. Nobody". Overall, a very nice movie, advised to watch for everyone.
  5. Jan 26, 2014
    Reading the less than favorable user review box has reminded me of what constitutes a good movie in America these days. People consider themselves trendy if they travel half-an-hour to view "Her" on limited release. Watching an artistically driven movie on their mac with English subtitles? Give me a break. I wonder if people who granted this movie a 5 or below actually booted it upReading the less than favorable user review box has reminded me of what constitutes a good movie in America these days. People consider themselves trendy if they travel half-an-hour to view "Her" on limited release. Watching an artistically driven movie on their mac with English subtitles? Give me a break. I wonder if people who granted this movie a 5 or below actually booted it up expecting to be impressed. Was this reeeaaallllyyy their type of movie? I was reading one obnoxiously ignorant commenter who condemned the movie on its lack of "suspense" as if that is the backbone to all great movies. Perhaps in a blockbuster by James Cameron, but hardly at all when you scour the depths of Indie classics. Another commenter criticized the "Romantic Comedy" (it receives this genre on Wiki…seems like that's where all movies are jammed into) on its lack of humor. Personally, I found it to contain clever humor at times, but it wasn't a movie with an intention to make people howl with laughter. That would kill the whole vibe of it. Nor was it a movie that inserted jokes in left or right knowing that people would at least find a few of them funny. It was all beautifully subtle. Sorry, about the rant, but I'm sick of how people today approach a move like this one, thinking themselves intelligent by giving a positively reviewed movie bad marks, without grasping the movie's entire purpose. I guess it's comparable to when a bunch of buffoonish Americans trot into a French fine restaurant and leave with a bad taste in their mouths. Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2014
    Screw the critics, this movie is worth more than 7 just for the soundtrack, what an unique movie. The camera deserves a prize too, such peculiar unique view and the colors are beautifully portraided.
  7. LynneR.
    Sep 26, 2002
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie doesn't believe in Love with a capital L. For those people, I am very sad.
  8. Jan 6, 2014
    Um dos melhores filmes franceses dos últimos tempos.
  9. Oct 23, 2010
    A fairytale within the modern world. Amelie is a light fable where the overall message enters your head,but you are not sure how. Great acting from all the cast and the opening minutes detailing the life of Amelie are spellbinding. One of the best foreign language films I have seen.
  10. Jan 17, 2012
    Amelie is a peculiar movie, starting by the protagonist, a lonely and strange girl who grows up thinking that the family love is dispensable; and because of that she creates a circle of no affection that surround her. In other words, no one can get emotionally involved with Amelie. Noticing that, she decides to change and take the path of justice, giving everyone what they truly deserve,Amelie is a peculiar movie, starting by the protagonist, a lonely and strange girl who grows up thinking that the family love is dispensable; and because of that she creates a circle of no affection that surround her. In other words, no one can get emotionally involved with Amelie. Noticing that, she decides to change and take the path of justice, giving everyone what they truly deserve, no matter if it is a good or bad lesson. The only problem is that Amelie is focused on the external and not in herself. Using the phrase of her old neighbor: What is thinking the woman with the cup? (This is undoubtedly a metaphor of Amelie), If she takes care of the people problems, who will takes care of her own issues? The answer is Amelie, but she is too introverted and cowardly to face the reality. Only the man who collects photos can fix the situation.
    Full of magical details, overwhelming music and very interesting performances, we are witnesses of this quaint love story, which ends with a breathtaking motorcycle ride.
  11. RobertoL.
    Mar 16, 2002
    I go to the movies to be entertained. What was this movie? I would best describe it as a documentary comedy on a bunch of losers who I had absolutely no feeling for? Reading some of your reviews, I think that those of you who liked this garbage would probably enjoy watching paint dry or moss grow on a rock. Simply a horrible movie. I know I just don't get. Guess what? I'm glad!
  12. JaredH.
    Apr 1, 2002
    Terrible movie about some very depressing characters. Amelie wants him - hides from him - wants him - doesn't want him - meddles in other peoples lives and so on. Who cares?
  13. GaborA.
    Sep 7, 2004
    Terrible. There isnt a reedeming element to this movie. No drama, no scares, no laughs (i mean anything that is actually funny), no themes, no good dialogue, and no suspense. And no "oh my god, is she going to talk to him?" does not qualify as suspense. Amelie would have made a decent music video, or maybe a short. But two hours of watching a shy girl fumble around Paris is simply unbearable.
  14. RobertH.
    Jan 13, 2002
    Terribly boring movie about a quirky character that I couldn't care less about. If you are thinkiing about seeing it - passadena!
  15. AppleH.
    Apr 19, 2002
    Is this movie the cure for insomnia? She nuts, but then again so are all the characters. How anyone can like this is beyond all human comprehension.
  16. Sophie
    Aug 24, 2008
    An artistic movie, art in sounds colors, everything its just magic. A fairy tale that moves the world for searching happines, best movie i have seen, exciting until the very last minutes. worth watching and understanding. Perfect art movie.
  17. KatjaS.
    Aug 27, 2002
    I don't understand. Why does everyone say this movie is wonderful, blah blah blah. For one thing its TOTALLY boring. It doesnt even have a plot that you can understand! And what exactly is it trying to tell us???
  18. WilliamB.
    Jun 16, 2002
    From A to Z: Awful, Boring, Crap, Decadent, Excrement, Flimsy, Garbage, Hideous, Illicit, Junk, Kinky, Lousy, Miserable, Nonsense, Odorless, Prosaic, Queer, Rotten, Simple, Terrible, Ugly, Vicious, Wicked, ZZZZZZZ!
  19. Nikki
    Jul 22, 2002
    I can't believe people are raving about this ! I almost fell asleep during the movie. It has the most unexciting plot, SO un-exciting! WHY? WHY do people rave about this? Because it is french? Because the girl is cute?? I'm telling you, you've GOT to be kidding when you say you enjoyed this movie.
  20. Jan 19, 2011
    A simple story, the interesting characters, delightful music, and interesting visual effects. I think it's safe to say that Amélie is a wonderful movie in every regard.
  21. Sep 14, 2011
    In my opinion this movie is the perfect getaway from the real world, it makes you forget about everything, and just watch this fabulous story about Amélie and her not so ordinary life. Original and brilliant are the main words to describe this film. One of the best foreign movies that i ever watched.. Audrey Tautou did an amazing job, so as the all cast and crew, i reallyIn my opinion this movie is the perfect getaway from the real world, it makes you forget about everything, and just watch this fabulous story about Amélie and her not so ordinary life. Original and brilliant are the main words to describe this film. One of the best foreign movies that i ever watched.. Audrey Tautou did an amazing job, so as the all cast and crew, i really enjoyed watching this film. Expand
  22. Dec 28, 2011
    Beautiful to the fullest, icon of art cinema. This movie's central element lays on human feelings and life, where regular everyday circumstances come to be the nest for life changing experiences. Dynamic and simultaneously reflective, very challenging and interesting. Entertaining but thought-filled, a whole new view of our traditional lives. With an astonishing artistic direction and aBeautiful to the fullest, icon of art cinema. This movie's central element lays on human feelings and life, where regular everyday circumstances come to be the nest for life changing experiences. Dynamic and simultaneously reflective, very challenging and interesting. Entertaining but thought-filled, a whole new view of our traditional lives. With an astonishing artistic direction and a gorgeous original soundtrack that you will not forget. Expand
  23. Aug 17, 2012
    Visually stunning, amazing score, and an enjoyable experience overall. It tends to lose my attention frequently though, as it attempts to make mundane plot elements grandiose.
  24. EstebanF
    Apr 21, 2008
    Horribly boring and dumb, this is a movie that tries to be what it isn't: an artistic production. After 30 minutes of it, you just want to stop. The story is just too "pink", simply too "happy" to stand it. 0 realism, dumb, it doesn't challenge the audience and it doesn't make you feel anything but boredom. Soul-less, failed artistic wannabe movie.
  25. May 28, 2012
    Thirty-five. That is the approximate number of times I bellowed the
    usual two-word, seven- letter refrain at the screen while watching this
    abomination of cinema. That would bring the total number of instances I've bellowed this phrase at a movie to perhaps forty. Every other movie I've ever seen is a better movie than 'Amelie', but it will appeal very well to people who'd rather live in a
    Thirty-five. That is the approximate number of times I bellowed the
    usual two-word, seven- letter refrain at the screen while watching this
    abomination of cinema. That would bring the total number of instances
    it will appeal very well to people who'd rather live in a different
    universe. It picks up real, living humans and uses them like toys, like
    terminally uninformed parodies of humanity. It squanders reality. See
    that bar-maid there? That actress playing her is probably a fascinating
    woman - I'm SURE she's a fascinating woman - people tend heavily to be
    fascinating. Sadly though, this cartoon of a movie allows no
    manifestation of any side of any of its performers' personalities to
    show through at any point. I have never, ever been more infuriated by a
    movie. Jean-Pierre Jeunet's previous film was 'Alien: Resurrection',
    which goes part-way, but not all the way, in explaining how this movie
    is as bad as it is. Although there is ever so much more to be said, that's about all I'm
    going to say about 'Amelie'. I'd like to tell you that this is because
    the film's Hadesian wretchedness is beyond my ability to properly
    describe, but that would constitute a falsehood on the scale of
    'Amelie'. The truth is that I am dismayed by the idea of exerting any
    more mental energy contemplating this grotesque puppet show. That the
    film receives such unbroken acclaim is a dreary testament to the desire
    of so very many people to escape from any form of recognizable life.
    For Jean-Pierre Jeunet to spit in my face would be so much kinder than
    what he did to me by making this movie it would constitute an
    atonement.

(Note: Buried in the film's sound-track is one of the greatest songs
    I've ever heard; a version of 'Guilty' sung by Albert Bowlly in 1931.
    An acquaintance haplessly gave this film to me, and afterwards I told
    her that, although it was the single most detestable film I'd ever
    seen, without it I'd surely have gone the rest of my days without
    having heard that sublime melody, and was grateful to her. My
    relationship with that song will end only at the hour of my death,
    unlike my relationship with this film and its director, which
    terminates with the completion of this sentence.)
  26. HarryH.
    Apr 9, 2002
    Absolute Crapola!
  27. MateuszM.
    Jul 19, 2002
    Not as good as I supposed. People give too many good votes for a film which is like milions of others average films.
  28. GerardD.
    Jan 4, 2003
    Jeunet's best work yet. I loved his Delicatessen... this one is just as good and should please a wider audience. The use of primary colors and quirky humor are intrinsic features of the film, unless one is color-blind or lacking a sense of humor. The film contains a message, but it doesn't beat you up with it, and it would be a cynic indeed who could disagree with the message. Jeunet's best work yet. I loved his Delicatessen... this one is just as good and should please a wider audience. The use of primary colors and quirky humor are intrinsic features of the film, unless one is color-blind or lacking a sense of humor. The film contains a message, but it doesn't beat you up with it, and it would be a cynic indeed who could disagree with the message. Recommended. Expand
  29. CarmenB.
    Mar 5, 2002
    Cute, funny, entertaining but no more than that.
  30. BjornS.
    Apr 13, 2002
    I just love this movie... there is a certain magic about this movie, though that does not seem to work for everybody.
  31. AkseliE.
    Apr 3, 2002
    I almost lost my belief in good movies while watching all that Hollywood crap. I just didn't get it until it hit me with a cricket bat. Hey, best movies are made in Europe. No American movies ever again after I saw this! HAHAHA! :)
  32. DarrellS.
    Jul 16, 2002
    I had to see this in our 'Art House' theatre as no 'real' house had it. Incredible! Amelie puts a hot stick in the eye of American filmmaking and shows how at least somewhere (France), the Art of film is still alive and not sold out to 'money machine' cinema. It follows the heart, not the formula. Thank god someone cares more about entertaining and not just a I had to see this in our 'Art House' theatre as no 'real' house had it. Incredible! Amelie puts a hot stick in the eye of American filmmaking and shows how at least somewhere (France), the Art of film is still alive and not sold out to 'money machine' cinema. It follows the heart, not the formula. Thank god someone cares more about entertaining and not just a 'bottom line'. Kudos! Expand
  33. LisaG
    Jul 20, 2002
    This movie is incredible. If you have to see one movie, go and see this one. It's amazingly sweet!!! Throughout the entire movie, that's all you can think about. Go out and watch it!! Go NOW!!! It rocks!!!
  34. Joy
    Aug 30, 2002
    This film was absolutely enchanting! It was completely different from anything I'd ever seen before....It brought out the beauty of life's simple questions--those little, curious things you notice but never find a way to express. I loved it!
  35. S.Isekin
    Jan 11, 2002
    It puts a smile on my face and keeps my cynicism in check for a few hours.
  36. NancyL.
    Jan 3, 2002
    I'm usually not big about foreign films (hated "Crouching Tiger"...), but this was utterly charming, amusing and endearing. An absolutely and thoroughly enjoyable movie watching experience. I may even get my husband to watch this one (I'll see it again!).
  37. KeithK.
    May 30, 2002
    I loved it. It's really original!!! In place of a plot, director Jean-Pierre Jeunet substitutes enough weird camera angles and trick shots so that Amelie rapidly becomes a Coen Brothers movie directed by David Fincher after running out of his Ritalin prescription. All of this, however, works to perfection with the wondrous, doe-eyed performance of Tautou. After each scene, she turns I loved it. It's really original!!! In place of a plot, director Jean-Pierre Jeunet substitutes enough weird camera angles and trick shots so that Amelie rapidly becomes a Coen Brothers movie directed by David Fincher after running out of his Ritalin prescription. All of this, however, works to perfection with the wondrous, doe-eyed performance of Tautou. After each scene, she turns to whisper a gentle aside to the camera, reminding us that no matter how weird or depressing the world is, this little imp still manages to keep her joyful, naive nature. And, because each of her whispered asides is "Zoom zoom," we don't actually need the subtitles to understand what she's saying. For more of this and other Positive Movie Reviews, see http://home.earthlink.net/~dleheny/ Expand
  38. AngelicaM.
    May 6, 2002
    This movie showed the real beauty of what other countries have to offer. "I think I was in a museum" was what I thought when I got out of the theater. This movie shows the beauty of what modern movie can have and a story that only happens once in a while.
  39. MattR.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Anachronisms and golden-age nostalgia notwithstanding, this is a great film.
  40. SamM.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Yes, it sports a beautiful women in a beautifully shot movie. Apart from that, the story is kind of flimsy. Not bad, but not an arthouse film, where it cleverly hides. However, this film is more fun and interesting than the outrageously overrated Gosfard Park with a 95 at this site. So if you had to choose, Metacritic would suggest GP, but I recommend Amelie.
  41. RenéH.
    Aug 23, 2002
    *Wunderfull*
  42. Lola
    Aug 30, 2002
    If you didn't like this film, then you didn't "get it." You might try again... It's absolutely mind-opening.
  43. MerriolB.
    Aug 7, 2002
    I rented this movie, finished watching it + immediately went + bought it!
  44. Duded
    Jul 30, 2003
    Amelie was a great movie! It has every thing a viewer could hope for:a great screen write, great sound, cinematogrophy, acting and more! A good movie with a great message.
  45. BenW.
    Sep 7, 2003
    Breezy, bouncy fun that will put a smile on your face and brighten your disposition. :)
  46. IchiK.
    Jul 11, 2005
    Inspirational, quirky and poignant. A fantastic film.
  47. DarrenM.
    Jul 1, 2005
    So good I named my daughter Amelie.
  48. JohnB.
    Feb 5, 2007
    One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Everything from the acting to the directing, the soundtrack to the production design is crafted exceptionally well and put together beautifully!
  49. FloranV.
    Feb 6, 2007
    Love, love, LOVE this movie! Watch it whenever I'm down, or in love, or just.. anything, really. I cannot watch it too often.
  50. SeanP
    Oct 10, 2008
    Just to let metacritic know: Empire magazine gave this film a 5/5.
  51. NeillM
    Jul 10, 2009
    Really enjoyable movie that has unique moments, lines, and actions that are hilarious, brilliant, and fun. Definitely an art movie, but easily reachable and understandable.
  52. JohnS.
    Nov 9, 2001
    Fabuleux.
  53. InkP.
    Dec 26, 2001
    Wonderful. Simply wonderful moviemaking.
  54. JulioP.
    Nov 2, 2002
    A delicious piece of entertainment and art put together - congratulations to the French movies.
  55. JeffreyH.
    Jan 17, 2002
    The best film in a very long time. You leave the theatre feeling really good. Plot is simple. However, the characters are so real and entertaining, you can't help but watch in anticipation of each scene. Amelie is a masterpiece!!
  56. GreggV.
    Jan 17, 2002
    SEE IT!
    Dec 29, 2002
    Gentle and good-spirited, it's very difficult for me to find anything horribly bad to say about this film. In the (fine?) tradition of French absurdist/surreal filmmaking, this has suitably bizaare abnormalities and inexplicable shifts--nonetheless, I found myself wanting to excuse them--they also rather contribute to the movie itself. It was a delight to watch, and certainly not two Gentle and good-spirited, it's very difficult for me to find anything horribly bad to say about this film. In the (fine?) tradition of French absurdist/surreal filmmaking, this has suitably bizaare abnormalities and inexplicable shifts--nonetheless, I found myself wanting to excuse them--they also rather contribute to the movie itself. It was a delight to watch, and certainly not two hours I'm wishing desperately to have returned to me. Expand
  58. VladimirP.
    Jan 27, 2002
    The best movie I have ever watched, heartwarming, funny, and beautifull. I absolutelly loved it. Robert H, what the hell is your problem?
  59. JessieB.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This is my favorite movie of all time! it is just so witty and makes you think and it has very interesting camera work. It moved me to tears and i never cry. i watched it 6 times in 2 days, just over and over again. i rented it on dvd and had to watch it on my computer because i dont have a dvd player. i am very interested in the french language and am in french III at Crestwood HighThis is my favorite movie of all time! it is just so witty and makes you think and it has very interesting camera work. It moved me to tears and i never cry. i watched it 6 times in 2 days, just over and over again. i rented it on dvd and had to watch it on my computer because i dont have a dvd player. i am very interested in the french language and am in french III at Crestwood High School. i am currently giving a speech on "Amelie" for my sophomore speech class. my two friends and i even have an "Amelie" fan club! i am asking for it on vhs for my 16th birthday. Expand
  60. PaulaW.
    Jan 31, 2002
    Don't be put off by critics who say Amelie is too treacly. I nearly was, and I'm glad I finally saw this. Think of it this way: valentines are an art form like any other. Like the almonds in your nougat, there are enough quirks in the characters and enough tongue-in-cheek stylistic tricks (like the muted Technicolor palette and the deadpan narrator) to dispel any guilt I felt Don't be put off by critics who say Amelie is too treacly. I nearly was, and I'm glad I finally saw this. Think of it this way: valentines are an art form like any other. Like the almonds in your nougat, there are enough quirks in the characters and enough tongue-in-cheek stylistic tricks (like the muted Technicolor palette and the deadpan narrator) to dispel any guilt I felt about enjoying this magical-realist story of a waitress who takes one great coincidence as a sign that she should start meddling in all her neighbors' unhappy lives to bring them joy. If this film can't bring a smile to the most jaded lips, then nothing will. Expand
  61. NikolaD.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Something that I haven?t seen for years. The film is about those little things that you must have to be your life complete. Jeuneut have shown us so many things in very simple ways. He shows us some other way of thinking. This is something great that can't be described with words.
  62. TerranceR.
    Apr 13, 2002
    My favorite of 2001. Very clever and inventive. Lots of fun.
  63. TerryW.
    Apr 24, 2002
    There is the business of filmmaking (Hollywood) and then there is the business/art of filmmaking: Amelie. France is not afraid to be French is the best of ways, as far this film goes. It relies more in characters and story more than caricatures and gory. More is left to the viewer, than done for him. Even with the simplicity of the romantic motif it is different, entertaining, and more There is the business of filmmaking (Hollywood) and then there is the business/art of filmmaking: Amelie. France is not afraid to be French is the best of ways, as far this film goes. It relies more in characters and story more than caricatures and gory. More is left to the viewer, than done for him. Even with the simplicity of the romantic motif it is different, entertaining, and more wholesome than many of its US contemporaries about a man and woman. Expand
  64. CornP.
    Apr 30, 2002
    Great movie!
  65. JanaH.
    May 30, 2002
    Loved it. Absolutely amazing...saw it couple of times already and want to see it again. Will make your day bright and sunny and joyfull. Must see.
  66. AntonioN.R.
    Jun 17, 2002
    It's very beautiful. Anyone can extract some interesting ideas in it. It's very happy and Audrey Tautou is genial.
  67. FredS.
    Jul 15, 2002
    A daringly original film that extracts beauty from the mundane-- and carictures familiar quirks to create an absolutely adorable tale.
  68. JohnC.
    Jul 22, 2002
    If this had been an American film it would have been unwatchable. Cotton Candy. I never grew to care about the characters. The movie, thankfully, is gallic. And we watch all there eccentricities with less disdain than something made by a studio. There are some good ideas here. Worth seeing.
  69. Richard
    Jul 29, 2002
    It plays towards the end like a high-tech episode of "Ally McBeal," but it builds up enough good will with its performances and its nonstop inventiveness for you to cheer for it anyway. Has its heart in the right place, certainly, and never less than beautiful to watch.
  70. YoonMinC.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Bathed in the glow of sunset colors, drenched in ripened reds and greens, this candy box of a movie is a visual treat bursting with sweet flavors. Though the characters and scenarios are in and of themselvs cute and verging on annoying, the director's creative visual grammar, his playful juggling of narratives, and the quick paced zigzags take the viewer on a amusement park ride. The Bathed in the glow of sunset colors, drenched in ripened reds and greens, this candy box of a movie is a visual treat bursting with sweet flavors. Though the characters and scenarios are in and of themselvs cute and verging on annoying, the director's creative visual grammar, his playful juggling of narratives, and the quick paced zigzags take the viewer on a amusement park ride. The heroine Amelie is like a rabbit that keeps hopping along, always one leap ahead of predators of routine and despair. Though considered by some as a French Forrest Gump, as personal and cinematic expression it is far more lively, honest, and good natured. Gump simply manipulates the audience whereas the audience share in the manipulation of Amelie. Expand
  71. TessaM.
    Sep 20, 2003
    This is the kind of movie that you can put in when you've had a really bad day and it will make everything seem okay again. J'adore les Francais!
  72. ThomasW.
    Jan 15, 2004
    A wonderious movie with clever moments wonderfull charecters and a true sense of fantasy. A rarity in films as its truely unpredictable and totaly original, theres nothing else like it.
  73. T.M.
    Jan 28, 2005
    The visuals of this film were absolutely stunning and made me want to move to Paris. The film was also in some ways different from anything I'd ever seen and superior to typical Hollywood product. However, the story was a bit threadbare, and the film could have been about 25-30 minutes shorter. Audrey Tatou is one of the most charming actresses I've seen in a long time, but The visuals of this film were absolutely stunning and made me want to move to Paris. The film was also in some ways different from anything I'd ever seen and superior to typical Hollywood product. However, the story was a bit threadbare, and the film could have been about 25-30 minutes shorter. Audrey Tatou is one of the most charming actresses I've seen in a long time, but I'd prefer to see her in a role where she can show much more dramatic range. Expand
  74. TorS.
    Mar 9, 2005
    This is a brilliant life affirming movie where Audrey Tautou gives life to what is an extremely challenging role. There are parts of the movie that just shows you how brilliant a director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is. See it and join in this amazing experience.
  75. JessD.
    Dec 8, 2006
    Adorable -- you really see a change in the character Amelie and because she's so sweet you're happy for her when things work out. The criticism floating around about how it's not a real vision of contemporary paris is true though-- no modern city is as beautiful, happy, and white as the Paris in Amelie.
  76. M.Daye
    Feb 4, 2006
    Amélie is one of the most remarkable pieces of cinema produced this millennium. Audrey Tautou is magnificent in her role as sympathetic waitress Amélie Poulain and is definitely one to watch.
  77. RyanD.
    Aug 8, 2006
    This is the most unique film i have ever seen. It is in a class of its own. A great achievement.
  78. RachelC.
    Jul 18, 2007
    I love this movie. Why I like it? Because, mostly of it's uniqueness, and it's such an original idea. The camera style is lovely, and even with the subtitles it made me feel thoroughly engaged. I think it depends on your personality on how you value this film, as I have noticed people either give it 9's or 10's, to 0's. I think you have to patient, and give it a I love this movie. Why I like it? Because, mostly of it's uniqueness, and it's such an original idea. The camera style is lovely, and even with the subtitles it made me feel thoroughly engaged. I think it depends on your personality on how you value this film, as I have noticed people either give it 9's or 10's, to 0's. I think you have to patient, and give it a fair chance, and if you prefer the big blockbusters then maybe you wouldn't be interested in this film. But, nevertheless, I do think some of the comments are pretty tight and harsh, and didn't give it a chance! Overall, beautiful movie. Lovely cinematography. Expand
  79. JennaT.
    Aug 24, 2008
    loved it, the colors the art, the jokes. Its just exquisit, with sweet and spicy scenes, funny and inspiring. A tribute to happiness and life. If you dont get it, you just dont know what life is. Touching and perfect to the very last minute. With a balance beteen complements. Just perfect.
  80. Avrum
    Nov 14, 2001
    Cute. But it did not, could not?, live up to the praise it received.
  81. YoriD.
    Nov 19, 2001
    My heart and eyes fell in love... a "fabuleux" escape where life has the possibility of old fashioned magic, romance and innocence. A film that promotes caring about your fellow man and the world around you, where acts of simple humanity can change someone's life forever.... a good antidote to the overexposed opinions and views of cynics everywhere out there.
  82. EricS.
    Nov 29, 2001
    Highly recommended. Exactly my type of of quirky, funny movie.
  83. JeffM.
    Oct 17, 2002
    Simply a joy. What's not to like?
  84. Puddle
    Dec 12, 2002
    It's simply amazing!
  85. MetheGirl
    Dec 13, 2002
    I thought this was a really touching movie, although it's not for those shallow impatient people who refuse to take notice of those things truly important in life.
  86. DeslandesS.
    Mar 13, 2002
    As a french person, I was curious to see how people liked "Amélie" in the US. I loved that movie, because it's just a simple and happy thing, I found it funny too, because of many jokes about us. Since, I understand people who didn't like that movie. Indeed, what they say is real (about the colour, the two-hours-long, etc.). But the sentence which touches me the more is As a french person, I was curious to see how people liked "Amélie" in the US. I loved that movie, because it's just a simple and happy thing, I found it funny too, because of many jokes about us. Since, I understand people who didn't like that movie. Indeed, what they say is real (about the colour, the two-hours-long, etc.). But the sentence which touches me the more is "a frenetic bore that insists on its audience's adoration while making no demands upon their intelligence". Well, this is true!! The thing is that it all depends on your personnality. If, you're naive, or more sceptic. Expand
  87. MarcK.
    Mar 22, 2002
    I can understand if people didn't love this film. I have no idea how anyone could have a strong dislike, unless they their idea of a good film is to the see the latest Arnold shoot-em-up. I was a little disappointed with the last 15 minutes of the film, but other than that, it was absolutely superb. Audrey Tautou deserved an Oscar nomination!
  88. OliverT.
    Jul 25, 2002
    Uplifting, surreal story that looks at life in unusual ways, revelling in the simplistic joys around us that we take for granted. Those too cynical to just allow themselves to fall in love with this film are idiots, basically. Like people who eat lollipops the wrong way.
  89. Shannon
    Jul 31, 2002
    Wonderfully delightful.
  90. JamesT.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Life is simple... while we are chasing those material stuff, this movie brings us back to the good old days where life and job is just as simple as it is...
  91. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Really a pleasant little movie about doing random acts of kindness. But with a hint of tediousness. I wouldn't want to watch it twice.
  92. AliceZ.
    Jun 24, 2004
    I love this movie! This is definitely in the top 5 movies ever made. Its amazing. I've made all my friends watch it, and now everyone I know has bought their own copy. It's great!
  93. RobC.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Simply adorable. A movie with no guns, violence, hatred, just pure indulgence of the sweet, feel good variety. Anyone who despises this film has no soul. Ok, you may not like it, but you cant hate it. Audrey Tatou is absolutely charming as a shy cafe worker, working her magic bringing cheer and joy into peoples lives. Its such a refreshing film to watch, cajoled along by a very Parisian Simply adorable. A movie with no guns, violence, hatred, just pure indulgence of the sweet, feel good variety. Anyone who despises this film has no soul. Ok, you may not like it, but you cant hate it. Audrey Tatou is absolutely charming as a shy cafe worker, working her magic bringing cheer and joy into peoples lives. Its such a refreshing film to watch, cajoled along by a very Parisian soundtrack. Expand
  94. Diana
    Mar 11, 2005
    An original, beautyful, and funny movie. not for the average hollywood-primed attention span, i guess.
  95. MarcoS.
    Oct 16, 2006
    All the characteristics of this movie together are stronger, than when considered separated.
  96. BobA.
    Jan 17, 2006
    A trite little confection, that goes out of its way to pull at our heart strings. It's cutesy, sentimental, quirky, and silly. I wanted to dislike it, but I didn't. In fact I loved it.
  97. P.Marta
    Nov 9, 2006
    Beautyful movie! I love Amelie!
  98. AndrewH.
    Jun 28, 2006
    This is one of my all time favorite movies. Great fun.
  99. KatC.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Life is so full of the ups and downs... It's refreshing for the soul the see the whimsical and magical side of life and love. To see the difference one person can make to so many. Don't look so deep into it that you lose the purpose of Amelie... just enjoy the moment.
  100. EdS.
    Nov 19, 2001
    Very inventive and charming.

1. The barometer for whether you'll enjoy Amélie is whether you liked "Moulin Rouge" last summer. If snappy visuals, tangy colors, mood-drenched scenery, and a good-hearted heroine make you as happy as a box of Parisian chocolates, it's definitely for you.
    Amelie is joie de vivre in a nougat.
    At two hours, the movie is probably 15 minutes too long -- the final half-hour in particular could have used some trimming -- but complaining about having too much of a good thing makes one sound like a grouch.