Columbia Pictures | Release Date: December 13, 2013
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 1249 Ratings
Watch Now
SpangleJan 9, 2014
Awesome film. David O. Russell kills it as director and Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner, Louis CK, De Niro, etc, kill it in this one. The characterization of everyone is fantastic and it's awesome that we got to see so many back storiesAwesome film. David O. Russell kills it as director and Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner, Louis CK, De Niro, etc, kill it in this one. The characterization of everyone is fantastic and it's awesome that we got to see so many back stories of different characters, which helped you to understand why they did the things they did. Honestly, this is my favorite film of 2013 that I've seen thus far. Expand
TVJerryDec 21, 2013
It's the late 70s: every man in this movie has ridiculous hair, while the women are glamorous and hot. A con man (Christian Bale) teams with his soul mate (Amy Adams) and they end up forced into a scam with a hothead FBI agent (BradleyIt's the late 70s: every man in this movie has ridiculous hair, while the women are glamorous and hot. A con man (Christian Bale) teams with his soul mate (Amy Adams) and they end up forced into a scam with a hothead FBI agent (Bradley Cooper). The transactions are complicated by a mouthy wife (Jennifer Lawrence) and an earnest politician (Jeremy Renner). Despite how complicated it sounds, this film is really about the characters and the brilliant actors who made the bold choices. Every actor has created memorable, enjoyable individuals and their performances are potent (Lawrence is once again a revelation). Co-writer/director David O. Russell has crafted a richly observed, compellingly complex and sometimes funny vehicle for them to hustle. Expand
LeZeeMar 4, 2014
Yet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. InYet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs to see multi stars in one screen.

As usual Bale’s appearance did not surprise me. He’s one of the actors from Hollywood who do a variety of experimental roles in his movies especially in physical appearances. Bradley Cooper had a good time recently with many blockbusters, so in a movie to share screenspace with Bale will boost his professional growth in his career graph.

Amy Adams is a good actress, but she’s not attracted to me though she was great in this film. No doubt Jennifer Lawrence was thrown an incredible performance with her small role. Yet both are very enjoyable to watch, especially expected that particular cat fight moment.

Let me tell why you should not miss this movie. The cast was the great strength the movie had. Robert De Niro’s guest appearance made it more fuzz and the puzzling story created lots of guess games among viewers. I must say it was well scripted by the writers and crafted beautifully by the director of 'Three Kings'.
Compi24Feb 22, 2014
An impossibly well-performed, skillfully written, and nimbly shot comedic drama, "American Hustle" is yet another quirky success for David O. Russell.
BrianMcCriticDec 30, 2013
David O. Russell continues his fantastic film making. Though not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle works mainly because of top notch acting. A
MovieGuysJan 5, 2014
American Hustle has a continuous flow of energy that keeps you captivated and wanting more. All the performances are good, especially Ms. Lawrence's; her character has such self-pride and a way of putting the blame on everyone else that sheAmerican Hustle has a continuous flow of energy that keeps you captivated and wanting more. All the performances are good, especially Ms. Lawrence's; her character has such self-pride and a way of putting the blame on everyone else that she becomes the comic relief to almost every scene she's in. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
csw12Nov 26, 2015
American Hustle has an energy that makes the movie come alive and injects the story with comedy, tension, surprise and sympathy for the characters. The entire cast gives outstanding performances
ThegodfathersonDec 13, 2013
“American Hustle” may have an awkward start, especially as it takes a moment to get used to Russell’s style and tone, but once “Hustle” finds its footing it really takes off and is one of the most intelligent and enjoyable films of the year.“American Hustle” may have an awkward start, especially as it takes a moment to get used to Russell’s style and tone, but once “Hustle” finds its footing it really takes off and is one of the most intelligent and enjoyable films of the year.
RickoJan 7, 2014
Great acting, great cinematography, the story however feels a little empty in the end. So much potential but the climax didn't justify the build up. It all gets wrapped up a bit too quickly after 2 hours of careful build up. Decent but over rated.
imthenoobMar 5, 2014
A great cast and an interesting story that keeps you entertained through out. It's one of few films with a 2 hour + run time that I actually did not mind sitting through.
lukechristianscMar 2, 2014
from the guy who brought you silver lingings playbook which i love brings american hustle i did not that mush but it find it too much drama but i love david o rusell his ideas in movies are 99% useful and brilliant
Trev29Jan 5, 2014
David O' Russell has another winner. A great movie with great hair. With a stellar cast it is easy to enjoy and watch these pros do what they do best. None of the actors really get a standout moment though, except for Jennifer Lawrence. TheDavid O' Russell has another winner. A great movie with great hair. With a stellar cast it is easy to enjoy and watch these pros do what they do best. None of the actors really get a standout moment though, except for Jennifer Lawrence. The story moves at a slow pace, but the movie makes up for it with a perfect soundtrack that breathes the very essence of the 70's. Expand
TokyochuchuJul 25, 2016
American Hustle is an excellent film, filled with fantastic performances, great writing and well earned laughs. Like all good con movies, it also has an unpredictable streak and keeps you guessing until the end. Great stuff!
foxgroveJan 5, 2014
Anticipating American Hustle I was convinced that it would be one of my top films of the year. After all it has a great cast, a talented director and a trailer that makes it look exciting and complex. Unfortunately, its complexity is a majorAnticipating American Hustle I was convinced that it would be one of my top films of the year. After all it has a great cast, a talented director and a trailer that makes it look exciting and complex. Unfortunately, its complexity is a major flaw. The story is so convoluted that maximum attention is demanded. However, excessive lengh and a tendancy towards the pedantic encourages the attention to wander. The cast give it their all. Christian Bale continues to create zany out there characters; Jennifer Lawrence is fun, but obvious; Bradley Cooper is way over the top, and Jeremy Renner flies under the radar.The real news here is Amy Adams who all but steals the film. Excitingly cast against her usual 'good girl' type, she gives a power house performance that is her best to date. She and Bale are the film's strongest asset and it benefits from their chemistry together. Production values are spot on in depicting the 70's fashion, with hair and costumes creating a great diversion. It also contains a wonderful pop soundtrack of the era which encourages one to reminisce. In the final analysis American Hustle, sadly, lacks something. This leaves one feeling that the whole does not add up to the sum of its,quite excellent, parts. Expand
eagleeyevikingApr 29, 2014
American Hustle is energetic, funny and perfectly cast. It features smart twists & turns from a very smart script and is directed stylishly by David O. Russell.
GreatMartinDec 20, 2013
After all the 4 star reviews, critic’s raves, plus the 7 Golden Globe nominations, including Best picture, for “American Hustle” this will definitely be a minority review.

Along with cementing her versatility as an actress, Jenifer

Along with cementing her versatility as an actress, Jenifer Lawrence is the main, if only a few, reasons to see this film. Her role as Rosalyn Rosenfeld is as far from her performances as Ree Dolly in “Winter’s Bone”, Katniss Everdeen in “The Hunger Games” series or her Oscar winning Tiffany Maxwell in “Silver Linings Playbook”. Here she recalls the ditzy, dumb blonds through all of Hollywood film history and would be right at home in a 1930s, 1940s, screwball comedy. She is the shining light in “American Hustle”.

The soundtrack offers a variety of music from Duke Ellington’s “Jeep Blues” to Amy Adams and Christian Bale dancing to “I’ve Got Your Number” and then her and Bradley Cooper dancing in a disco to, who else?, the Bee Gees and Jennifer Lawrence lip synching to “Live and Let Die” all definitely a plus for the movie.

One surprise, to me, was the role played by Patsy Levine and I will leave it at that.

Bradley Cooper, as an FBI man setting up a sting using con artists Adams and Bale, is, as Bale is, in love with Adams and with her low cut down to there dresses that is understandable, brings a lot of his charm to his role. The cast as a whole do the best they can though many times Christian Bale mumbles, like Marlon Brando did at his worst, making his speech indecipherable.

The 1970s and New York at the time is duplicated by the production crew and the hair styles are standouts, especially for Copper and Bale in two scenes.

While most critics praised the direction by David O. Russell, and the screenplay by Eric Warren Singer along with Russell, I just didn’t get into the film or characters and looked forward to every appearance by Lawrence.
lasttimeisawMar 30, 2014
AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour ofAMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism, meanwhile his slick camera mobility complements the narrative steadily with intentional oomph to woo the audience, a strategy functions unexpectedly well after the one-two punch THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10) and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012, 7/10), now AMERICAN HUSTLE repeats the mojo, altogether ricochet him to the rarefied echelon of a three-times BEST DIRECTOR nominees, and an auteur status rosily awaits.

read the rest of my review at my blog "cinema omnivore", google it.
FranzHcriticJan 7, 2014
Though the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written filmThough the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written film that, unfortunately, takes too many essences of past films, thought I won't go into the list. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence as anything in here. Bradley Copper was annoying. Christian Bale and Amy Adams were the standalone characters in this film, Bale especially with his dedication to the role. David O. Russell's previous two films were his most talented, not 'American Hustle'. Expand
moviemitch96Dec 21, 2013
Not perfect, like many critics have been claiming it to be. However, it is most certainly yet another great addition to director David O. Russell's line of films. The story and pacing felt a little stuck at times. But really, it's the actingNot perfect, like many critics have been claiming it to be. However, it is most certainly yet another great addition to director David O. Russell's line of films. The story and pacing felt a little stuck at times. But really, it's the acting and the intriguing cast that makes this movie great! Christian Bale puts on a few pounds as the unpredictable con man, Irving. Bradley Cooper's performance as a crooked FBI agent served as one of the more memorable male performances in the film. Amy Adams is daring as Bale's love interest. Jeremy Renner gives a worthwhile goody two-shoes performance as the mayor. And last, but absolutely not least, Jennifer Lawrence gives it her all in what may well be her fiercest performance yet. The plot was also intelligent and well done for the most part, but like I said, it's really the characters that make this movie. David O. Russell even said it himself that he likes to focus on and prioritize characters more than plot. In this film's case, it fortunately worked. So overall, if you're a fan of David O. Russell's previous films (or films with interesting characters,) there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy this, because this may be one of his best films yet. Expand
BikerjamesDec 29, 2013
I'm surprised at all the love given to this film. The acting? Superb throughout. The story, however, was a little boring at times, and there really is no character you can root for. Also, many critics are saying it is a comedy, and II'm surprised at all the love given to this film. The acting? Superb throughout. The story, however, was a little boring at times, and there really is no character you can root for. Also, many critics are saying it is a comedy, and I chuckled a few times but neither I or the packed theater I saw it with laughed all that much. In the end, the great acting throughout made it a passable film, but it does not have the repeatability factor for me. I have no desire to see it again. As a footnote, Jennifer Lawrence may be the best actress in Hollywood. The movie came to life every time she was on the screen. Expand
LamontRaymondDec 4, 2013
If you're a lover the Silver Linings Playbook cast, they're pretty much all back in this film. I'd heard a ton about the ABSCAM scandal through out my youth, so I'm happy that Russell decided to bring the story to life in such a hilariousIf you're a lover the Silver Linings Playbook cast, they're pretty much all back in this film. I'd heard a ton about the ABSCAM scandal through out my youth, so I'm happy that Russell decided to bring the story to life in such a hilarious fasion. Cooper isn't as amazing as you'd like him to be here (he needed to tone down the mania just a bit), but Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, and, especially, Amy Adams carry the weight of this film. And yes, lest I forget, Renner is brilliant. I'd also like to specifically call out the music as dead-on perfect. The film feels a touch long, but you really can't go wrong with this movie. Expand
Bruce722May 3, 2014
Once again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'mOnce again the movie critics prove how little they know about what goes into making a great movie. Yes, the movie had incredible acting and the setting was founded upon detail after detail. However, does entertainment value mean nothing? I'm sorry but I was to enjoy my moviegoing experience, not be bored out of my mind while I acknowledge that Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress. Honestly, the only things redeemable about this movie were Lawrence and Bradley Cooper's insane yet fantastic performances and Amy Adams relentless cleavage and side-boob. None of the characters are likable in any way and the plot drags and is annoying. The acting and the well detailed setting are worthwhile but the rest of the film is not. Expand
drlowdonApr 12, 2014
American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.
Movie1997Dec 20, 2013
There are so many funny movies this year that are getting so much praise this award season, and "American Hustle" is one of them. It's a fun, funny and entertaining good time. It's filled with crap loads of great performances (which you comeThere are so many funny movies this year that are getting so much praise this award season, and "American Hustle" is one of them. It's a fun, funny and entertaining good time. It's filled with crap loads of great performances (which you come to expect from a David O. Russell film), an interesting enough story and great humor. While at times it may feel like its way more ridiculous than it already feels, it's still a great time and one that shouldn't be missed. I give it an A-! Expand
geedupJan 12, 2014
Good story and plot, with a fairly unpredictable ending unless you know a great deal about the ABSCAM senario. Bale was very good with his role and even Cooper was good as he finally got out of his type-casting roles and into something thatGood story and plot, with a fairly unpredictable ending unless you know a great deal about the ABSCAM senario. Bale was very good with his role and even Cooper was good as he finally got out of his type-casting roles and into something that resembles acting. As a b0onus, since the flick is based in the 70s the sound track is well done as well. Expand
axelkochMar 2, 2014
The vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusinglyThe vast majority of critics and (thus?) moviegoers reacted differently, but I actually consider American Hustle to be an effective argument against improvisation in films. Because, whereas I’m a great fan of it when it’s executed amusingly by talented stand-up comedians, unscripted babble can thoroughly blacken a film’s quality – and that’s exactly what happened with this one. Granted, it does have good-looking costumes and set design as well as fine cinematography and editing, and if you find joy in the over the top of over the top portrayal of characters– well, go ahead, watch it. I just think that most of the people claiming to like the film are being overtly pretentious and following critics’ opinions, since American Hustle is a surprisingly boring, annoyingly ridiculous, and not anywhere close to funny film. Expand
quincytheodoreFeb 8, 2014
It's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charmingIt's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in an orgy of deceit. It's ludicrous, self-deprecating while still able to be funnily relatable and thoroughly enjoyable.

American Hustle is a story of two con artists, Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosse (Amy Adams), who make a living by setting up small fraud businesses. Unfortunately for them, they are caught red-handed by an FBI agent Richard DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). Now faced with heavy charges, both have no choice but to aid the agent in capturing more high profile targets. The operation soon becomes out of control as they try to manipulate increasing amount of victims and also outmaneuver each other, while dangerous and powerful men caught whiff of the sting operation.

Every time a scene plays out, the actors passionately perform at excellent caliber. Christian Bale transforms himself into almost a completely different person. He looks plumper, wears hair piece and struts with somewhat slouched posture, it's realistically impressive. He shows complacent cautious behavior to mask his sly ambitious side. I admittedly didn't recognize him at some points as he almost merges in the character. Bradley Cooper plays the suave agent, who is Irving's counterpart, brimming with confident and unbridled ambition. The way he portrays his character is explosively brazen, almost obsessively erratic in his endeavor.

Amy Adams as the role of sensual mistress, trademarked by how unwilling she is on wearing bra, has another persona as Edith, the supposed British lady. She shifts between the roles so convincingly, weaving layers of lies with great British accent; she may very well elude the audience. Jennifer Lawrence plays Irving's overly defensive, disturbed and near **** insane wife. She seems so broken with habitual reliance on dubious men, both using and being used by them. There is one scene where Adams and Lawrence loath each other with such malicious intensity, it's almost creepy to witness.

I like the addition of Louis C.K. as the reluctant cop and DiMaso's supervisor; he brings organic humor to the table, mostly on his own character’s expense. Jeremey Renner rocks a flamboyant haircut as the seemingly philanthropic mayor Carmine Polito. Sometimes Renner looks genuinely motivated to do good for his city, also rather too innocent to mingle with the rest of suspicious characters. Robert DeNiro, however, portrays an old mob boss, calculatingly dangerous in short time he's on-screen.

Every minute of the movie practically boasts high level of talent, they are simply captivating, even as they desperately claw their ways by forging fictional version of themselves. Director David O. Russell succeeds in presenting these talents in near over-the-top scenes, which are fairly ridiculous but will make audience can't help but feeling there's a glitter of glamor on them. The movie is clever of its use of twist, although characters' personal struggles are still the essence.

There lie few movies that can rival American Hustle in the quantity and quality of its actors. It weaves a fantastic gripping tale of fraudulence with colorful characters, dancing with the tune of greed.
BHBarryDec 15, 2013
“American Hustle” stars Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Christian Bale in this 2 hour film directed by David O. Russel who co-wrote it with Eric Singer. This is a fast moving and intelligently writtten story of con men (and“American Hustle” stars Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Christian Bale in this 2 hour film directed by David O. Russel who co-wrote it with Eric Singer. This is a fast moving and intelligently writtten story of con men (and women) seeking to outsmart each other. This film is a viewer’s delight as we watch the intricacies of the plot unfold. Although Mr. Cooper, Ms. Adams and Ms. Lawrence give stellar performances, the kudos really must go to Mr. Bale who plays his part with credibility and passion. Acknowledgments must also got to Director Russell who, despite the obvious length of the film keeps it well paced and easy to watch. I give the film a 9 rating with more of the film sure to be talked about at Oscar time in February 2014 Expand
EludiumQ36Mar 21, 2014
That was my first review a few yrs back, but I re-watched it and re-rated it. Why? Because I watched from a different perspective this time. Amy Adams is my celebrity crush so I studied her portrayal as well as the rest of the leads and foundThat was my first review a few yrs back, but I re-watched it and re-rated it. Why? Because I watched from a different perspective this time. Amy Adams is my celebrity crush so I studied her portrayal as well as the rest of the leads and found them all to be quality. I dinged the film's rating off of 10 due to its slow pacing, and PG-13 level "nudity". In fact, I saw nothing "R" about this film. I also dinged it for its unlikely outcome, conning the FBI? Yeh, right. It's watchable but it's no masterpiece.
-------------------------------------
Sorry, we've been conned, hoodwinked which of course is the film's conceit. A bunch of b-list actors doing a 70s period piece featuring your dad's big-band music and your big brother's pop hits. This looks and feels like a made-for-tv movie from the 70s. I do not know how people sat through this in a theater. Seriously.