Sony Pictures Classics | Release Date: December 19, 2012
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 275 Ratings
Watch Now
TLHGJul 4, 2016
To me this is as bad as a movie experience gets... The movie is extremely overrated and I suspect it has to do with the "artsy pseudo-intellectual niche". The acting is very solid and the style frames the pic as something that looks like aTo me this is as bad as a movie experience gets... The movie is extremely overrated and I suspect it has to do with the "artsy pseudo-intellectual niche". The acting is very solid and the style frames the pic as something that looks like a solid, profound drama. This frame is but a frame though. If you stop to think what this movie is really about you will see that the style is pure style, which makes the movie really shallow and superficial and the good acting a waste of talent.
The thing is, this is one of those movies that has no reason to exists, cause it shows nothing special, it inspires nothing, it adds nothing to the table. The movie is a long arrangement of scenes that do not differ a lot from what you'll see if you pay more attention to your grandparents or to the old couple that lives in the same neighborhood as you. Maybe to some extent the intention of the movie was to develop awareness of the limits of life... but it attempts so in such a boring, slow approach and it really does not work. If you don't like seeing old people doing their routines, the movie will be boring. If you appreciate the respect people of age deserve, don't praise this movie, stop being lazy and get off your couch and go interact with you grandma or grandpa
EpicLadySpongeMar 6, 2016
It's a side-scrolling movie that just keeps on going and there's no reverse button on this movie. Once the movie ends, you have two options. One to play the entire movie again or two to reverse until you get to the beginning.
migaspintoAug 5, 2015
This simple and honest film represents the truth. And there's no one like Michael Haneke to do it with this perfection. Truly masterpiece from the one of the best directors of our time: Michael Haneke. Should be viewed and reviewed.
PfenderStrat621Apr 5, 2015
A subtle masterpiece with incredible directing, themes, script, and acting. Michael Haneke it is one of the most flawless directors. He presented everything in a thought-provoking, unforgettable, relatable and subtle way that it was justA subtle masterpiece with incredible directing, themes, script, and acting. Michael Haneke it is one of the most flawless directors. He presented everything in a thought-provoking, unforgettable, relatable and subtle way that it was just impossible for me to not give credit to it. I am just giving it a nine because i had just one subjective issue, in some elements of the movie, i wanted them to be a little less subtle and more notable. But apart from that this movie is amazing, and i don't understand why a lot of user reviews were saying it was boring; maybe it wasn't the most entertaining movie ever but it is really entertaining and mesmerizing. I highly recommend it! Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
A dark and poignant look at love - strengthened by its writing and performance from Emmanuelle Riva. Amour is one of the French films that distracts you from your life.
poewilsonFeb 6, 2014
Michael Haneke does not make films to entertain. He makes films to jar the audience to make you feel unease as you partake in what is quite often a tragic journey. Which Amour is to a tee. There is no moment of hope or redemption to be foundMichael Haneke does not make films to entertain. He makes films to jar the audience to make you feel unease as you partake in what is quite often a tragic journey. Which Amour is to a tee. There is no moment of hope or redemption to be found in this piece, but in this tragic endeavour we are given the opportunity to partake in a selfless love, as if to say that tragedy is only as such if you allow to be, but beauty and tragedy are in fact one in the same.
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and would honestly give it a 9 in my opinion, however the Poe Scale says.
Acting: 2/2
Cinematography: 1.5/2
Editing: 1.5/2
Effects and Design 1/2
Writing: 2/2
wishmasterJan 6, 2014
Amour is definitely a story that shows the reality when you are facing the inevitable death, a hard story where the decisions of the love of your life are the backbone of your future on earth.
Amour definitely go down in history as one of
Amour definitely go down in history as one of the rawest films, where Emmanuelle Riva definitely made the best performance of the year. Sorry Jennifer Lawrence, the Oscar but I gave it away.
BestponyNov 26, 2013
Amour is a very dry film, seemingly as elegant and lifeless as the museum-like apartment in which the elderly couple lives. In a way it feels necessary, focusing with unflinching precision on an aspect of love and relationships that isAmour is a very dry film, seemingly as elegant and lifeless as the museum-like apartment in which the elderly couple lives. In a way it feels necessary, focusing with unflinching precision on an aspect of love and relationships that is usually overlooked (and certainly not by accident). The problem is, as the title suggests, this is a film about a phenomenon, a philosophical concept, but not about people. The two characters do have names, but for all intents and purposes they are just Old Person 1 and Old Person 2, and as the camera's gaze bounces off their impeccably shot faces and rests on shelves full of old, dusty books, it becomes apparent that this isn't really a drama, but more of an essay, and instead of a punch in the gut it delivers a long, stern lecture. You should absolutely see it if you haven't already, but that's the central problem with Amour: it's the kind of film that you watch because it's important, not because it's good. Expand
EdeltraudOct 25, 2013
OK, good to have a topic like getting old and doing it up real, but the director did many really annoying things that served no purpose. Like five minutes of looking out on a theater audience, an old dude chasing a pigeon for half an hour,OK, good to have a topic like getting old and doing it up real, but the director did many really annoying things that served no purpose. Like five minutes of looking out on a theater audience, an old dude chasing a pigeon for half an hour, panning paintings for half a dog's life.
This film needed to have some flamboyant or different characters. everyone was the same morose one-note. The neighbors, kids, students, nurses. Geesh.
I'm very sympathetic to the story, have lived through many passings of aged parents and even a couple of contemporaries..but we had a lot more laughter and upbeat moments..
I kind of agree with the guy who said it was like sitting in a nursing home all night. I'm sure glad I didn't see this at the theater. Good performance by the old lady, but way too much artsie by the director.
Luiz_FelipeAug 28, 2013
What a sad movie! Gets you wondering how will you get old. This kind of non-hollywoodian film can be oustanding some times, but here that's not the case, in my humble opinion. Go for The Intouchables.
mrniceAug 25, 2013
Normally I'd rate 9/10 for a really amazing film. This one understated and does not try to impress or act for you. It just is. And the thing that is in this film is something very very close to 'real'. The story of old age is important sinceNormally I'd rate 9/10 for a really amazing film. This one understated and does not try to impress or act for you. It just is. And the thing that is in this film is something very very close to 'real'. The story of old age is important since Europe is facing some decades of 'more elderly than young people'. There will probably be lots of (similar to) these stories around Europe in the coming times. I could give the film anything from 5 to 10. But since it's original, perfectly crafted, heartfelt, sympathetic, it's a rare thing, a rare thing that can remind us and teach us something we should not (imagine to) flee from. Expand
Nesbitt10Aug 21, 2013
This beautifully-handled, deeply devastating work is all about the most human issue of all: inevitably and collectively, we're all food for worms. Won an Oscar in 2013 for Best Foreign Language Film of the year.
sebastian1Aug 4, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this movie, it was a feeling explosion; there is nothing wrong in this movie; i felt the pain that expressed the old woman, but at the same time i saw the love between both of them. I recommend you to see this movie. Expand
NazguleroJul 14, 2013
Sweet Jesus, the only one that deserves an award is the audience, and being able to sit through this without...falling........asleeeeeppppp....
This movie is completely lifeless, void of any dynamic, the characters are far more boring than anyone can ever be in real life, and you will have a hard time not wishing for them to just die so the movie can end. I am not sure who exactly is sitting on that Cannes jury, but they seem to have forgotten that the one main element that makes a movie good is whether or not the audience is entertained.
UtopianStuffJul 3, 2013
The story is so masterfully told, it's not even funny. It's heartbreaking, depressing, beautiful and lovely. It's told in the most stylish of ways and it's just masterful. Its beautifully crafted, and radiantly acted.
AliBenzekriJun 18, 2013
This is Perfection Heartbreaking story about love
Haneke is a genius his work is Masterful and poignant Trintignant and Riva were out of this world what a performances a stunning work
Words cannot describe my passion about this
This is Perfection Heartbreaking story about love
Words cannot describe my passion about this Masterpiece you must watch it to feel the intensity os this magnificent and sad story
PuciferJun 2, 2013
In a year when two of the most critically acclaimed films were revisionist propaganda (lies) produced by the CIA, it is reassuring that at least some filmmakers are still dedicated to telling the truth. There isn't a false note in "Amour."In a year when two of the most critically acclaimed films were revisionist propaganda (lies) produced by the CIA, it is reassuring that at least some filmmakers are still dedicated to telling the truth. There isn't a false note in "Amour." It's not an easy film to watch, but at least it is an honest one. Expand
lahaine2012Apr 10, 2013
Amour was an incredibly moving love story, from the masterful Michael Haneke. Its hard to imagine that a film about two geriatric lovers, told almost entirely in an apartment could be so enthralling. But it was! This is piece of art mayAmour was an incredibly moving love story, from the masterful Michael Haneke. Its hard to imagine that a film about two geriatric lovers, told almost entirely in an apartment could be so enthralling. But it was! This is piece of art may easily bore some and its surely not for everyone, but it is very easy to appreciate it for what it is and what it delivers. On that note Emmanuel Riva gave a fantastic performance, as well as Jean-Louis Trintignant. Filmed with simplicity, Amour was a very dense film that challenges its viewers in every way. Expand
dizzy103Mar 19, 2013
This is an outstandingly moving film, drawing on the insatiable taboo of mental health. The acting is sharp, clever and, above all, very convincing. Without question clutching at the heart strings, this frightfully stark and expressive filmThis is an outstandingly moving film, drawing on the insatiable taboo of mental health. The acting is sharp, clever and, above all, very convincing. Without question clutching at the heart strings, this frightfully stark and expressive film will leave even the hardest of minds in a pensive mood, at the very least. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 11, 2013
In my opinion its not a best picture contender, but Amour still brings a very strong plot and a direction that wil go down in history as one of the best ever.
LynMar 4, 2013
Emanuelle Riva richly earns her Oscar nomination but be prepared to feel that you are trapped for two hours in a disturbing, depressing French nursing home. I found myself thinking of another, brilliant French-language film, "The BarbarianEmanuelle Riva richly earns her Oscar nomination but be prepared to feel that you are trapped for two hours in a disturbing, depressing French nursing home. I found myself thinking of another, brilliant French-language film, "The Barbarian Invasions," which had some similar themes. It's not quite fair to compare that one in which the dying man is surrounded with a boisterous cast of characters to this one, so focused on the quiet twosome. But I wish that I'd had more of a sense of the meaning of Anne's life before I had to witness her awful decline. Expand
jhepMar 3, 2013
It’s alarming to see how savvy some filmmakers are becoming at knowing just what material and what “spin” will gain them big critical jackpots and festival jury prizes. "Amour" is a case in point and suggests that the line betweenIt’s alarming to see how savvy some filmmakers are becoming at knowing just what material and what “spin” will gain them big critical jackpots and festival jury prizes. "Amour" is a case in point and suggests that the line between demographic-massaging advertising agencies and shrewd, cachet-hunting filmmakers is diminishing at an alarming rate. The film is basically a genteel “infomercial” that argues the case for euthanasia; it's an highly aggressive, in-your-face exercise and a very ONE-NOTE, highly aggressive, in-your-face exercise..........What it also has “going for it” in some circles at any rate- is the Jerry Springer-like touch of casting two well known stars of yesteryear, now in their 80s, in the lead roles. This brings an eerie Reality TV touch to the proceedings and something of a “frisson nouveau” to your card-carrying film buff audience (the demographic-massaging angle) Think how much, by way of comparison, the casting two relative unknowns would have affected the film’s reception...... In Teen Speak it would have been …..“B-O-R-R-R-I-N-G !!!”

Jean-Louis Trintignant in particular struggles to breath life into the sparse characterization that writer/director Haneke has provided for him. However his efforts are in vain, for the forces of “infomercial-hood” are aligned against him here and (even more artistically crippling) Haneke’s somewhat gleeful penchant for the morbid. This latter holds sway as his camera zooms in to capture every detail of the physical and mental disintegration of Trintignant‘s wife (the now 85-year-old star of "Hiroshima Mon Amour" Emmanuelle Riva.) Indeed, Riva’s character soon becomes a sort of laboratory specimen that Haneke is studying intently under the microscope “I wonder what will “go” next he seems to be asking himself, pencil in hand with the result that The Wife (which is the sort of generic entity that Riva is finally reduced to) ends up becoming disconcertingly like that giant bug that Gregor Samsa turns into in Kafka’s "The Metamorphosis" By contrast, one wonders what Jean Renoir or Douglas Sirk would have done with this material. The fact that Riva’s character is not particularly sympathetic to begin with only adds to the uneasiness- indeed, queasiness- we end up experiencing as we’re invited to observe the spectacle of her relentless undoing....... Sad to say, by that point in the film either this latter studying-the-bug-under-the-microscope sensation or else flat out boredom seem to be our only options. "Amour" is an award-winning and highly pretentious film and the two go together much too often for comfort these days.
ariel84Mar 2, 2013
haneke's "white ribbon" was magnificent. deserved every accolade. 'amour', mais non. emmanuelle riva, oui. very, very overrated film, especially in comparison the haneke's earlier work. pretty much a big yawn.
thairocks88Feb 27, 2013
What makes Michael Haneke one of the greatest living filmmakers is that his films only get better! Amour's great visual storytelling, subtle dialogue, and graceful cinematography made this film a true artistic masterpiece! Haneke provides aWhat makes Michael Haneke one of the greatest living filmmakers is that his films only get better! Amour's great visual storytelling, subtle dialogue, and graceful cinematography made this film a true artistic masterpiece! Haneke provides a real and articulate story that is not pretentious or preachy. While some may condemn "Amour" for being tedious and morally ambiguous, the greatest stories are not told with quick editing, fancy cinematography, and booms and bangs! The greatest stories are told with grace, subtlety, and love. Expand
charlieW24Feb 22, 2013
'Amour' is a tough one. On the one hand, 'Amour' is beautifully acted (particularly Emmanuelle Riva), impeccably directed, and wonderfully crafted and written. On the other hand, in terms of entertainment, its slow, it drags, and it's by no'Amour' is a tough one. On the one hand, 'Amour' is beautifully acted (particularly Emmanuelle Riva), impeccably directed, and wonderfully crafted and written. On the other hand, in terms of entertainment, its slow, it drags, and it's by no means an exciting topic. But, all of that is drowned out by 'Amour's' true beauty. Describing it in a few words? Devastatingly beautiful. Expand
NedRyerson1Feb 18, 2013
Amour is a hard to follow film, but it is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen. It is very touching and also rough, because it is noticeable the point that true love can reach. The movie portrayed an old woman with hemiplegia causeAmour is a hard to follow film, but it is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen. It is very touching and also rough, because it is noticeable the point that true love can reach. The movie portrayed an old woman with hemiplegia cause by a vascular accident with progressive decrease of brain activity and the future of the marriage will fall to her husband. What this picture is doing, is trying to figure out what is love, using apart from the plot, the script, the cameras and the performances. That is why the movie is so slow, with static camera movements and with people that evaluate what they are doing, because you cannot rush love, it is about patience and understanding. Everything in the film is well prepared, Michael Haneke definitely did an excellent job in directing and the protagonist couple is just brilliant, but I think is more Jean-Louis Trintignant than Emmanuelle Riva. Expand
TVJerryFeb 18, 2013
Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva play a Parisian couple in their 80s. When she has an attack, he nurses her thru the final agonizing days. Michael Haneke is a skilled director, who's at his most stark and dispassionate, whichJean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva play a Parisian couple in their 80s. When she has an attack, he nurses her thru the final agonizing days. Michael Haneke is a skilled director, who's at his most stark and dispassionate, which translates into interminable pacing, uncompromising camera and oblique narrative. If you like watching the deterioration of a woman in a detached, heavy and bleak atmosphere, you may appreciate this well-acted but agonizing (in so many ways) examination. Call me shallow, but I wasn't moved. Expand
orsonmcnabFeb 13, 2013
Amour is a formal masterpiece, which is not to say it isn't also a transporting cinematic experience. The characters are beautifully drawn and create empathy in the audience without resorting to banal cliches. Brilliant.
fiabegFeb 11, 2013
Georges and Anne love each other. However, the film director gives us a mixed-up message regarding their relationship. At the beginning of the film, when the couple is at the kitchen table, Georges sees that the sugar bowl is empty, complainsGeorges and Anne love each other. However, the film director gives us a mixed-up message regarding their relationship. At the beginning of the film, when the couple is at the kitchen table, Georges sees that the sugar bowl is empty, complains to her and gets upset. Moments later he gets irritated with her when she does not understand something he is talking about. Then they start to argue. Days later, when she is sick and he tries to give her some water, she gets angry and reacts in an unexpected manner. Georges response to her is shocking. Is this the first time, or has he done it before? This couple loves each other in their own particular way. They are not physically affectionate, I don’t think they kiss during the whole movie, I could be wrong. They don’t have either a loving extended family. Georges caresses a pigeon to get the tenderness he does not have. Georges face expression does not change the whole movie. He has a permanent expression of concern and numbness. He is empty, he is not, in the true sense of the word, alive. He is simply performing the task that has been handed to him. The title of the movie is “Amour” (Love). However when you leave the movie theater the last feeling you have is a loving feeling. You feel numb, empty, like Georges. It is like he has come out from the screen and swallowed you and you have become part of him. I think that this is an outstanding achievement of the director of the film. To have the ability to put the audience in such a mood. I think a very important aspect of the movie is to make you feel what Georges is feeling. Everything is going slow, you are most of the time in the corner of one room or at the bedside, there is almost not furniture, it is kind of dark. Expand
nutterjrFeb 9, 2013
Old age is tough and takes a lot of strength to deal with. And when the time comes and the natural decline sets in, love will help guide the toughest path ahead. Haneke has created a number of exceptional thrillers but none so horrific asOld age is tough and takes a lot of strength to deal with. And when the time comes and the natural decline sets in, love will help guide the toughest path ahead. Haneke has created a number of exceptional thrillers but none so horrific as Amour, his true masterpiece. Expand