7.5

1. Mar 19, 2014
    If you like Will Ferrell's "man child" comedy this is the best there is. During every scene I was laughing and although many events in the scenario were unreal and absurd somehow they were the exaggeration of the relatable. It has a specific audience I get it; if you are outside this group you would find this movie boring but in its genre this movie is nothing less than perfect.
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    will ferrell is a good funny , cool dude . i love anchorman it is funny as **** . it will knock your shoes off . i got to go anchorman 2 as the better film then this one
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    One of the best comedies ever made! Will Ferrell at his very best! This is one of those movies I will never get tired of no matter how many times I watch it
  4. Dec 20, 2013
    This movie is hilarious. I can't wait to see no. 2 in movies soon! I think steve did the best acting, but ferrel did do great acting too. WATCH IT RIGHT NOW
  5. Nov 13, 2013
    Ron Burgundy is the balls.
    Anchorman with its raunchy, over the top characters, and brutally stereotypical screenplay; incredibly succeeds. If you do not laugh at this than you are honestly dark inside.
  6. Aug 16, 2013
    You get it, or you don't, or you do and just don't relate anyway. Whatever the case may be, this sort of random, senseless comedy is a subgenre of comedic films that is just as often praised as it is ridiculed.

I find myself praising it more often than not, and particularly so when Will Ferrell is involved. The man is, quite simply, as adept at this style of comedy as anyone ever has been, and his strong and silly performance, alongside a terrific supporting cast, have made Anchorman a classic in my mind. It has provided me and my friends more quotable lines and good times than any other Ferrell flick, and we typically enjoy them all. The upcoming sequel seems to me, at least, to be Ferrell's way of doing justice to what he believes to be his finest film.

Just as important to making the film work is the rest of the Channel 5 News Team. Brick, Champ and Brian are pivotal in playing off of each other, taking advantage of somewhat predictable quirks and eccentricities with skill. Paul Rudd quickly became a comedy/dramatic comedy staple at the box office, and his work here, alongside Steve Carrell's slow-but-sweet portrayal of weatherman Brick Tamlan and the underrated Champ Kind (played by the also underrated David Koechner) round out the film, give it an identity with memorable characters and classic scenes.

The rest of the cast is stand-up as well, including Alicia Silverstone, who holds up strong as Ferrell's counterpart and vying anchorwoman Veronica Corningstone. It all comes together quite nicely cast-wise, and the writing..well, the writing is the best you're going to find in a quote/unquote "silly" comedy, where the story is just a foundation for the ridiculousness to flow off of.

Honestly, I can understand the strong disagreement when I say so, but in my mind, Anchorman is without a doubt one of the finest comedic films ever created. It is, much like Mr. Burgundy himself, the balls.
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    I just don't know what to say. The first time I saw this, I didn't laugh. Then I watched it again, and I almost peed myself. This is arguably Ferrell's best film to date, no doubt a cult classic.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    An unending tornado of irresistible hilarity, "Anchorman" represents the finest work Adam McKay and Will Ferrell have to offer.
  9. Aug 18, 2012
    For me, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is pretty much the funniest film of all time. It's an eternal classic that never gets old and has the type of quotes that stay with you for life and enter your daily vernacular. Get your friends round, watch this movie as a group... comedy heaven!
  10. May 31, 2012
    Its much funnier than Talladega Nights and theres a better cast here. Will Ferrell has rarely been better and the story, while sloppy in its construction, is very memorable.
  11. Apr 2, 2012
    Anchorman is an extrememely funny film with great acting by everyone. Through incorporating an array of different personalties into the film, it creates a pleasurable and enjoyable atmosphere. One of the best comedies in years.
  12. Mar 31, 2012
    Will Farrell is always funny. In this he is hilarious. It is pretty inappropriate. Irections and much more. If you like dogs you will see one fall of a bridge.
  13. Nov 30, 2011
    how the hell is this only a 7.1?! This was easily Will Ferells best movie and you people that comment with no sense of humor always screw it up! This movie was great btw. I say 10!
  14. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    Probably the funniest movie of the decade. Will Ferrell plays his funniest character to date. It just puts a stupid smile on your face. It has that unique quality of repeatably, where you can watch this over and over and not get sick of it.
  15. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie is a perfect-to-watch-with-friends comedy. So perfect in fact, there wasn't a time where I wasn't at least smiling. It's humor is somewhat dated and slightly stupid, but it's actors carry it so well.
  16. Jun 17, 2011
    A fantastic comedy film. It is incredibly funny, and well acted. The writing is brilliant, as is the premise. There are at least 7 moments for which I was laughing uncontrollably. It is easily the best collaboration between McKay and Ferrell, and a great movie all around.
  17. May 19, 2011
    Adam McKay. Need I say more? This movie is my favorite comedy of all time. I loved every moment of it. Is it inappropriate, and crude humor? YES. Is it one of the most quotable movies of all time? YES. This (imo) is Will Ferrell's best film. I still watch it religiously. Should you see this movie? YES. But I am not you.
  18. May 11, 2011
    The funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude ofThe funniest film I have ever seen. Period. But my reviews should be longer, so... Will Ferrell excels here as egotistical News Anchor Ron Burgundy, in fact, the entire cast acts above and beyond, excelling as brilliant characters. But the breakout star of the film has to be the mentally challenged Brick Tamland, played by The Office's own Steve Carrell, delivering out a plentitude of hilarious lines ("I ate a big red candle", "Mm, I burnt my tongue", "Where'd you get those clothes, at the toilet store?") One of the most quotable films in movie history. If you picked a random line from this film, you can guarantee it's quotable, from the statistical ("60% of the time, it works every time"), to the insulting ("You're a smelly pirate hooker", "Why don't you go back to your home on whore island"), to the informative ("San Diego, discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina") to the declarations of love ("I love Lamp") The film is rife with cameos, and not one of them feels out of place or like a cardboard cut-out. Be it Ben Stiller as Arturo Mendez, Spanish Anchor, Jack Black as a motorcyclist who won't draw the line at kicking dogs off bridges, Tim Robbins as an anchor who'll cut off arms and then calmly smoke a pipe or Danny Trejo, a bartender who'll offer sage words of advice (even if it goes unheeded) This film is responsible for one of my favourite ever film moments: The big fight between the news stations, which manages to escelate from an exchange of words, to the characters pulling out weapons (knifes, table legs, hand grenades), then in less than half a minute, there's a man on fire, men on horses, Brick killing a guy with a Trident and Luke Wilson getting an arm cut off. It sounds insane, but its one of those moments which must be seen to understand. If I could only recommend one film where you'd have a fun time laughing your ass off, it's Anchorman. You stay classy, Rotten Tomatoes, and thanks for stopping by Expand
  19. Apr 28, 2011
    A truly hilarious movie from start to finish. I must have seen this film at least 10 times and never have I found it boring. This is largely because Anchorman contains some classic quotes and great performances, with a large number of enjoyable cameos. The film never degenerates into a period where the laughs dry up, unlike many other Will Ferrell movies, and is a masterpiece of comedy.
  20. boolooloo
    Mar 16, 2009
    Between my 3 friends at school and me we have seen this 43 times. Brilliance from Adam Mckay.
  21. TjE
    Jan 21, 2009
    A very funny movie. I don't think anyone who appreciates comedy can watch this without laughing once. Be warned however, Anchorman isn't for everybody. People who don't like random jokes or watch movies only for plot will not enjoy Anchorman. Everyone else will fall in love with it.
  22. aimee
    Jan 22, 2008
    This film is hilarious, will farrel is one funny man, I could watch this film over and over and it would never get old. Two phumbs up.
  23. JesusC.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Extremely funny. Will Ferrel's best by far.
  24. JustinP.
    Dec 5, 2007
    One of my all time favourite comedies.
  25. IanM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    The arousal this movie gave me was painful in its intensity.
  26. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    Fantastic comedy.. just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Some of the lines are priceless and instant classics. I can watch this movie again and again and not get bored.
  27. DickO.
    Jun 23, 2007
    To be honest, i cant handle to much dumbass comedy like Adam Sandler as such but this was in a whole different class of dumbass, absolute class.
  28. TyJ.
    Feb 20, 2007
    Funniest movie of recent times, and, upon further reflection, we can see a glimmer of what the 70's were like, gender equality struggles, and I think we can all see a bit of ourselves in the sweet, although conceited, Ron Burgundy as played by Will Ferrell.
  29. JohnR.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Will Ferrell is hilarious once again. The man is good. I mean really good. The movie is filled with so many great quotes that no one can help but use in their everyday life. Two thumbs way up for this masterpiece.
  30. CharlieD.
    Oct 3, 2006
    One of the best films ever, this truly is Will Farrell at his best....
  31. JoshuaS.
    Aug 11, 2006
    Really, if you want brilliant, surreal, euphoric comedy you have this movie or "Pootytang" in the last, dunno, ten....twenty years? This movie is so chock full of jokes....jokes jokes jokes....than it feels limitless. I love knowing that the film makers loved making the movie and did it with balls confidence but no arrogance. But I love even more knowing those things just by watching the Really, if you want brilliant, surreal, euphoric comedy you have this movie or "Pootytang" in the last, dunno, ten....twenty years? This movie is so chock full of jokes....jokes jokes jokes....than it feels limitless. I love knowing that the film makers loved making the movie and did it with balls confidence but no arrogance. But I love even more knowing those things just by watching the movie. Joy and adventure drips from every scene, every cast member right down to the "Smells like a turd wrapped in burt hair." person. Expand
  32. TinaS.
    Aug 4, 2006
    hilarious...absolutley hystarical.
  33. FrancoH.
    Aug 2, 2006
    It's Anchorman! It's on Bravo's top 100 funniest movies of all-time! So that must mean something.
  34. MikeH.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I thought Anchorman was great, and the movie is incessantly replayable. Typical comedy cliches are turned inside out and made original and the casting is inspired. There seem to be a fair few negative reviews, I guess the irony of the entire film was lost on some. To each to his own i suppose.
  35. RobP.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If i could have given this movie a 11 then i would have in the blink of an eye! First saw the movie over a year ago and me and my mates still laugh and make quotes from it today. Pure genius!
  36. RitaP.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Gold, absolute gold. If you don't love this film then frankly you have tired of life and should confine yourself to your bed waiting for the inevitable. Otherwise join the rest of us in marvelling at the comedic genius of Will Ferrell and co.
  37. RodDog
    Aug 29, 2005
    The entire cast is hillarious is this fun filled 70's theme movie.
  38. JanetK
    Aug 14, 2005
    This movie should be a cult classic like Rocky Horror! We should be going to see it at midnight showings for 20+years. Shout it from a mountain top!
  39. Jake
    Aug 4, 2005
    If you hate this show because it's dumb, pull your head out. News Flash, it's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be a damn artsie film. It made me laugh more than any movie in a long time, so it deserves a 10!
  40. JoelA.
    Jul 18, 2005
    The best movie... How can you not love it?!
  41. BrianO.
    Apr 12, 2005
    The first time I watched Anchorman I would have given it a 6. But the more you talk about it and watch it with your friends, the funnier it becomes! Its definately a quotable movie. If you didnt like it at first, I suggest watching it with a group of friends because.."Sixty percent of the time, it works EVERY time"
  42. ArthurO.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Saw this a long time ago, but I need to say something. This movie is awesome, its too bad that people like ashish and most critics cannot laugh at these great, stupid comedies. That's why brain-dead movies like Million Dollar Baby are up for an Oscar. For those of you who like to actually laugh while watching a movie, pick this up if you haven't already.
  43. bm
    Jan 26, 2005
    Delightful!
  44. Matt
    Jan 25, 2005
    How can you not love this movie?! Hysterically funny, GREAT quotes! The next Zoolander.
  45. BorisG.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Pure genius!! Anchorman incorporates a diverse range of comedic techniques which provides the audience with constant laughter and entertainment. Through incorporating an array of different personalties into the film, it creates a pleasurable and enjoyable atmosphere.
  46. BurtonM.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Another comedy masterpiece from will farrel. Hilarious. Especially if you are old enough to remember the 70's.
  47. LAha
    Jan 10, 2005
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Will Farrell is absolutely amazing in a role that he was born to play!
  48. MattF
    Dec 29, 2004
    My rating for this movie is very simple. If you like Will Ferrel, you will love this movie. If you don't, then I would avoid it.
  49. Willferrellover
    Aug 6, 2004
    AMAZING. The jokes were hilarious i think this movie was as good as pokemon heroes!
  50. DrizztD.
    Jul 18, 2004
    I laughed so hard! I almost threw up! We need more movies with erection scenes! People..bears are noble creatures and a proud race, and without Anchorman, I'd never know that.... Go see this to laugh your ass off!
  51. BR
    Jul 18, 2004
    Intentionally cheesy & funny as hell. Ferrell had me in tears. The cameos were a nice touch too. Stay for the out-takes as well!
  52. BradA
    Jul 17, 2004
    The best comedy I have seen since Dumb and Dumber! Much better than Dodgeball, and by far the best Will Farrell movie ever!
  53. ManynyC.
    Jul 16, 2004
    On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The characters know they're characters, ok, no seriousness going on here. If you dont much like Ferrell and dont watch SNL then go see Napoleon Dynamite again, and realize that your laughing at crap and missing out. Expand
  54. MichaelJ.
    Jul 16, 2004
    Will Ferrell is hilarious as Ron Burgundy in this often crude comedy. But the crude humour is the kind which will keep the laughs going. One of the true comedic gems of this year. Don't miss it.
  55. BenZ.
    Jul 16, 2004
    Best comedy of the year, no question. While alot of the jokes are of the "so stupid its funny" calibur, there is alot of genuinly funny material here as well. This film was almost non-stop with its humor which was a wise choice.
  56. MikeC.
    Jul 15, 2004
    I've never been a fan of any movie that Will Ferrel was the main character in. Oddly enough though I loved Ferrel, just the chemistry wasnt right between his character and the storyline. The first time I loved a movie with him being the star was Elf. I was so happy a character just fit him so perfectly. It happened again in this movie. When I looked at Ron Burgundy I didnt see Will I've never been a fan of any movie that Will Ferrel was the main character in. Oddly enough though I loved Ferrel, just the chemistry wasnt right between his character and the storyline. The first time I loved a movie with him being the star was Elf. I was so happy a character just fit him so perfectly. It happened again in this movie. When I looked at Ron Burgundy I didnt see Will Ferrel. I saw Ron Burgundy. I went into this movie with expecations that I would laugh every couple minutes. But for the full 90 I was in tears. Great movie. Expand
  57. JamesandtheGiantPeach
    Jul 15, 2004
    Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest this movie to anyone who has not seen it. Expand
  58. RobG.
    Jul 14, 2004
    A comedy that doesn't forget it's a comedy. Too many SNL alums make movies that 'go Sandler' as my friends and I say; that is, they go soft and sentimental and there's no jokes in the last half hour. This one doesn't let off for a second.
  59. KatieP.
    Jul 14, 2004
    The first 10 minutes suck. But after that, the movie gets great. Don't see this film if you expect anything more than a poor plot and mediocre acting. It's meant to be a comedy like an SNL skit, and that's exactly what it is. Hilarious.
  60. MichaelM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Really funny... but the movie is what it i...a light comedy not a work of art. Very amusing ferrel is hilarious!
  61. K.H.
    Jul 12, 2004
    I went in expecting Will Ferrell to make me laugh a few times. I was laughing non-stop throughout the entire movie. It was ridiculous. But I must admit, it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Will Ferrell is a god among men.
  62. JohnnyT.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Farrell's embrace of the absurd non-sequitor is at it's best here. I was in tears at least twice. This will go down as a classic of its genre.
  63. BrianK.
    Jul 12, 2004
    This movie is easily one of the funniest movies i've seen EVER!!! Will Ferrell is the funniest i've ever seen him!!
  64. AlansitoP.
    Jul 11, 2004
    It was a very entertaining and funny movie. kids will love it!!
  65. PaulA.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Since I have two advanced degrees I think I am qualified to make the following assessment: people who took the time to criticize this movie for being dumb are highly insecure, dumb, or both. Though not exactly brimming with Oscar Wilde repartee, Will Ferrell does have this habit of skewering the braggadocious-- something that our self-centered culture could use in regular doses. And if Since I have two advanced degrees I think I am qualified to make the following assessment: people who took the time to criticize this movie for being dumb are highly insecure, dumb, or both. Though not exactly brimming with Oscar Wilde repartee, Will Ferrell does have this habit of skewering the braggadocious-- something that our self-centered culture could use in regular doses. And if that's not redeeming value enough for you, you undoubtedly didn't stick around after the credits for the sing-along which explicitly spells out all the life lessons the principal characters learned. I hear all the comedies have them these days. Expand
  66. CameronS.
    Jul 10, 2004
    HILARIOUS MOVIE! Great acting by all the cast, Very stupid but hilarious movie.

1. Wonderfully silly all the time.
  2. Ferrell, of course, has his moments. But he doesn't have an engaging "center" as a comedian.
  3. I can't help but feel that a funny movie was waiting to be unearthed amid all this self-congratulation and juvenile prankishness.