7.5

1. SeanB
    Jul 22, 2004
    Critics are pretty clueless when it comes to comedies. This movie is VERY stupid and most of the time makes no sense. I was expecting a lot more, but still good for a few laughs.
  2. Brian
    Jul 27, 2004
    I found it hilarious. Of course, I am 26 years old and the target demographic for this type of comedy, so take that into consideration. It really has no plot and probably no socially redeeming qualities. So? I laughed so hard I cried a couple times. It is so absurd you have to laugh, and if you don't, well I actually feel sorry for you, because there is nothing serious in this movie. I found it hilarious. Of course, I am 26 years old and the target demographic for this type of comedy, so take that into consideration. It really has no plot and probably no socially redeeming qualities. So? I laughed so hard I cried a couple times. It is so absurd you have to laugh, and if you don't, well I actually feel sorry for you, because there is nothing serious in this movie. I would say the jokes themselves could stand alone without the paper thin story and the whole experience would not have suffered. And it was a very entertaining experience. Go Will Ferrell!! Keep making stupid comedies that people think they are too good for!! I love em! Expand
  3. DaveH.
    Jul 30, 2004
    This movie was painfully boring. i may have cracked a smile once but other than that it was an hour and a half of wondering why i paid $9.50 to be bored. im not sure who would find this movie funny if i, a fifteen year old boy, found the humor stupid, crude, and immature.
  4. HeathD.
    Jul 9, 2004
    This was more like a will farrell comedy exhibition than a movie.
  5. NickR.
    Aug 19, 2004
    Even though this movie had a horrible plot, it was hilarious. It started off slow, but then sped up a lot.
  6. MikeN.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Dull, disappointing, and just plain not funny. Did any thought go into the making of this piece of crap? Do yourself a favor and go see something else.
  7. YanaS.
    Aug 5, 2004
    Horrible!!! After so much hype about this movie i can say that none of it was true. Will Ferrell was stupid and everyone else in the cast was no better. I kept thinking it would get better, but unfortunetly it never did. Like others said: Painfully boring!!! and overall stupid the laughs just arent there.
  8. HarrisonB.
    Aug 8, 2004
    I thought Anchorman was going to be real funny. It was. Yet, there were a few stupid parts in it. Will Ferrel was very good, and I thought Steven Carell was the most hilarious. Okay, but it needs less crude humor.
  9. NavinR
    Jan 12, 2005
    This is a terrible movie unless you are a Will Ferrel lover.
  10. PeterJ.
    Jan 21, 2005
    A good solid comedy. Not Will Ferrell at his best, but a very good performance nonetheless.
  11. BorisG.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Pure genius!! Anchorman incorporates a diverse range of comedic techniques which provides the audience with constant laughter and entertainment. Through incorporating an array of different personalties into the film, it creates a pleasurable and enjoyable atmosphere.
  12. Matt
    Jan 25, 2005
    How can you not love this movie?! Hysterically funny, GREAT quotes! The next Zoolander.
  13. bm
    Jan 26, 2005
    Delightful!
  14. DaveM.
    Jan 7, 2005
    This film was not as funny as I had hoped it would be but was still worth seeing. The scene in the jazz club was priceless!
  15. ArthurO.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Saw this a long time ago, but I need to say something. This movie is awesome, its too bad that people like ashish and most critics cannot laugh at these great, stupid comedies. That's why brain-dead movies like Million Dollar Baby are up for an Oscar. For those of you who like to actually laugh while watching a movie, pick this up if you haven't already.
  16. KevinE.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Slop. I kept waiting for it to rise above 'Bio Dome' stature but it just wouldn't. Finally pulled the plug after the umpteenth ploppy floppy dud of a go-nowhere punchline delivered by - take your pick (= to about 18 minutes into this bomb).
  17. JimW.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This movie was so bad. I didn't laugh a single time. I love stupid comedies (Airplane, Dumb and Dumber, etc) but this moive was just terrible. What version of the 70's did they live in, anyway? The video Sabatoge by the Beastie Boys looks more like the 70's than this hunk of shit. Avoid it at all cost.
  18. JoelA.
    Jul 18, 2005
    The best movie... How can you not love it?!
  19. RodDog
    Aug 29, 2005
    The entire cast is hillarious is this fun filled 70's theme movie.
  20. DaveF
    Aug 9, 2005
    Hilarious movie. This is SNL skit-cinema at its (almost) best, with far more laughs than groans. The surprise a capella "Afternoon Delight" was surprisingly well-done, too. It works because it's inversely ironic--a piece of real class set against a ridiculously silly and crude movie.
  21. CharlieD.
    Oct 3, 2006
    One of the best films ever, this truly is Will Farrell at his best....
  22. WillieG.
    May 23, 2006
    this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to this film had plenty of laughs - ferrell, vaughn, carell...they're all a trip - I usually don't like films that are THIS stupid, but they hit the sweet spot with the ridiculous skits (like the news team brawl) - applegate was the only miscast and totally non-funny member of the cast, they should have gotten the brunette from scary movie - if you can't find several things to crack a smile or laugh at in this film, you just might be a 'smelly pirate hooker'. Expand
  23. MatthewL.
    Aug 1, 2006
    I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but I thought this film was terrible. I was so disappointed b/c it looked really funny. It felt more like a long, interminable sketch originally rejected by the producers of "Saturday Night Live", instead of a movie. Will Ferrell tries way too hard in this film that made me want to change the channel. It was dumb, but not funny. Will Ferrell, you let me down so much with "Elf", but you've let me down even more with this terrible film. 1 star out of four. Grade: D Expand
  24. JustinP.
    Dec 5, 2007
    One of my all time favourite comedies.
  25. MarkJ.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Terrible! Boring! I thought this movie woul be fun to watch, but it was total crap!
  26. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    Fantastic comedy.. just turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Some of the lines are priceless and instant classics. I can watch this movie again and again and not get bored.
  27. ClintT.
    Mar 1, 2008
    It
  28. boolooloo
    Mar 16, 2009
    Between my 3 friends at school and me we have seen this 43 times. Brilliance from Adam Mckay.
  29. ratethismovie
    Aug 14, 2009
    It has its moments where you'll laugh but at the end of the day it's a pretty bad movie. Most of the humor is based on the characters behaving really stupid and loud. Throughout the movie it felt like my IQ was going down. If you like over the top humor which would amuse 8 year olds then you'll like it, but if you like humor to have a bit of depth and sophistication to it, It has its moments where you'll laugh but at the end of the day it's a pretty bad movie. Most of the humor is based on the characters behaving really stupid and loud. Throughout the movie it felt like my IQ was going down. If you like over the top humor which would amuse 8 year olds then you'll like it, but if you like humor to have a bit of depth and sophistication to it, then look elsewhere. Expand
  30. AndrewL.
    Jul 11, 2004
    If you don't like this movie by the time the opening credits are over, then do yourself a favor and leave.
  31. DavidC.
    Jul 11, 2004
    Very silly and stupid. But I laughed a lot.
  32. K.H.
    Jul 12, 2004
    I went in expecting Will Ferrell to make me laugh a few times. I was laughing non-stop throughout the entire movie. It was ridiculous. But I must admit, it was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Will Ferrell is a god among men.
  33. JeffL.
    Jul 12, 2004
    As long as this film sticks to its main points of satire - local TV news, the male chauvanism, and those wacky Seventies - it is often genuinely riotous gold. Will Ferrell is tremendously funny and oddly likeable as the casually sexist Burgundy, Christina Applegate is sweet and lively as a reporter who wants to break through the boundaries to become the nation's first female anchor, As long as this film sticks to its main points of satire - local TV news, the male chauvanism, and those wacky Seventies - it is often genuinely riotous gold. Will Ferrell is tremendously funny and oddly likeable as the casually sexist Burgundy, Christina Applegate is sweet and lively as a reporter who wants to break through the boundaries to become the nation's first female anchor, and the guys in the newsroom are hilarious (even the usually dull Paul Rudd is great.) In the final third, though, the film turns into Airplane-style free-for-all silliness, much to its detriment. And it doesn't help that Ferrell seems to want to stuff in cameos by every actor he's ever worked with (Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, etc.) Still, the good stuff outweighs the bad, and the performances are really worth checking out. Expand
  34. MichaelM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Really funny... but the movie is what it i...a light comedy not a work of art. Very amusing ferrel is hilarious!
  35. JamesandtheGiantPeach
    Jul 15, 2004
    Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest Ok, so it may be stupid. But you know what? ITS FUNNY! Honestly we need more movies like this one. Movies to brighten up our day. Vince Vaghn was in it and even though I can't really stand him, he was ok in this since I really only had to see him a couple of times. Will Ferrell though, he did great. Its like being back in the good old days when he was the star of SNL. I really sugest this movie to anyone who has not seen it. Expand
  36. MichaelJ.
    Jul 16, 2004
    Will Ferrell is hilarious as Ron Burgundy in this often crude comedy. But the crude humour is the kind which will keep the laughs going. One of the true comedic gems of this year. Don't miss it.
  37. ManynyC.
    Jul 16, 2004
    On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The On the beard of Zeus, people, Anchorman is brilliant. Will Ferrell gives his best, most spirited film performance yet as Ron Burgundy the classic chauvinistic man's man. I LOVE this movie, but heed warning many people will not like this movie. If you know and love Will Ferrell you will have a blast. If hes too out there for you then there is nothing for you in this film. The characters know they're characters, ok, no seriousness going on here. If you dont much like Ferrell and dont watch SNL then go see Napoleon Dynamite again, and realize that your laughing at crap and missing out. Expand
  38. ChuckY.
    Jul 17, 2004
    It certainly had a few fiendishly funny scenes, but a lot of it actually bored me a little. It could have been better.
  39. DrizztD.
    Jul 18, 2004
    I laughed so hard! I almost threw up! We need more movies with erection scenes! People..bears are noble creatures and a proud race, and without Anchorman, I'd never know that.... Go see this to laugh your ass off!
  40. CurfuffleN.
    Jul 19, 2004
    This movie was fairly good, although it seemed to slow in spots and I often became bored. One of the highlights is the Jack Black cameo, and of course the Ben stiller cameo, other than that there didn't seem to be anything all that special about the film. The ending was weak, a scene which seemed promising was ruined by a dog, I'm sure they could have thought up something better This movie was fairly good, although it seemed to slow in spots and I often became bored. One of the highlights is the Jack Black cameo, and of course the Ben stiller cameo, other than that there didn't seem to be anything all that special about the film. The ending was weak, a scene which seemed promising was ruined by a dog, I'm sure they could have thought up something better than what they did. We need a new OldSchool, and Ferral has to be the main character. Expand
  41. PatG.
    Jul 21, 2004
    I can't believe this movie had a 61 average from the critics!!! It is so lame--groaningly lame--that we walked out and asked for our money back after 30 minutes. Maybe 10-year-old boys will enjoy this movie. It's not just silly, it's dumb and flat. My cat could write a better script. What a waste of film!
  42. AustinG.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Definitely entertaining, but I felt that it fell short of even my low expectations. Some funny parts, but not up to par for the hilarious Will Ferrell.
  43. MediaMaverick
    Jul 24, 2004
    I was really looking forward to going to a funny movie and 'laughing like an idiot', as one reviewer noted. I was sooooo disappointed. I really wanted to like this one but it just didn't hit any marks.
  44. Kristin
    Jul 27, 2004
    Mr. Ferrell, what happened here? I thought this movie was going to be laugh-out-loud-hilarious, not flat and boring. I just stared at a screen with nothing but a blank screen with people on it. I did not laugh at all. I just slept. Honestly, depressed Earnest Hemingway could have written a more comedic script. Deeply disappointing, Will Ferrell.
  45. RobertS.
    May 23, 2005
    I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps I'm surprised to give this film a rating at all--as if it deserved one! You know, it's funny--I used to think Will Ferrell was too normal to be funny (except on SNL). But his characters are too dumb--his acting in general is dumb. Look at Old School--that was just twisted. ANCHORMAN was even more so--not even funny. It was the same twisted, childish bathroom humor that keeps pathetic actors like Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Ferrell on set long enough to show people how stupid and unoriginal they are. What a waste of two hours of my precious life. Save your time and your money. If you receive a copy of ANCHORMAN for a birthday present from a friend or family member, I'd recommend throwing away the cover and using the DVD for a Frisbee. That's all it's good there. Expand
  46. RitaP.
    Jan 24, 2006
    Gold, absolute gold. If you don't love this film then frankly you have tired of life and should confine yourself to your bed waiting for the inevitable. Otherwise join the rest of us in marvelling at the comedic genius of Will Ferrell and co.
  47. FraserW.
    Mar 12, 2006
    When i aw tis i was laughing so hard in the theater that i almost got kicked out even though the story line looks like it came out of a cows but i enjoyed the hell out of it... Overall: B-
  48. DickO.
    Jun 23, 2007
    To be honest, i cant handle to much dumbass comedy like Adam Sandler as such but this was in a whole different class of dumbass, absolute class.
  49. IanM.
    Sep 17, 2007
    The arousal this movie gave me was painful in its intensity.
  50. JesusC.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Extremely funny. Will Ferrel's best by far.
  51. TjE
    Jan 21, 2009
    A very funny movie. I don't think anyone who appreciates comedy can watch this without laughing once. Be warned however, Anchorman isn't for everybody. People who don't like random jokes or watch movies only for plot will not enjoy Anchorman. Everyone else will fall in love with it.
  52. AndrewH
    Nov 22, 2005
    Old School was funny, and Elf was enjoyable enough to watch twice. This, on the other hand, is an insipid waste of time. If you laugh at this, you'll laugh at anything.
  53. Nov 30, 2011
    how the hell is this only a 7.1?! This was easily Will Ferells best movie and you people that comment with no sense of humor always screw it up! This movie was great btw. I say 10!
  54. Dec 4, 2013
    Really???
    It seems like the intention of this movie is being an ironic comedy. But to do it, the director makes a retarded and bad movie with some nonsense things... It is a little strange for me to see a movie being intentionally bad. But that's what happened. I just laughed 2 or 3 times in the movie, and it was only because the scene was extremely retarded.
    Not recommended at all.

1. Wonderfully silly all the time.
  2. Ferrell, of course, has his moments. But he doesn't have an engaging "center" as a comedian.
  3. I can't help but feel that a funny movie was waiting to be unearthed amid all this self-congratulation and juvenile prankishness.