7.3

1. Jul 22, 2011
    This film was truly fantastic. It brilliantly takes you painfully deep into these characters' lives and keeps you invested all the way through. So deep. So touching. Brit Marling is perfect in this film and the acting from the whole cast is spot on. The framing device could so easily have been f*cked up and potentially ruined to story for its "science fictionyness" but in fact ends up being one of the most intriguing and thought provoking aspects. LOVE this film.... Collapse
  2. Dec 3, 2011
    Another Earth is one of the most thought provoking movies I've seen in a long time. My initial thoughts were that this was another "what if" sci-fi scenario movie, but there are surprisingly few flaws in the story line. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 minutes I spent sitting in a daydream after the final scene, trying to process what I just saw.
  3. Jul 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the stripped-down look of the movie, and the theme is interesting (no matter how preposterous it is - and how much better it was fleshed our in Fringe and tens of other sci-fi franchises). As a post-crash story, it's fairly conventional, but both lead actors are terrific. I had no idea that Brit Marling also wrote the story - good for her. The way the movie ends is a big no-no in many circles. Again, I've tried it in my own writing and have gotten bludgeoned for doing it. But I appreciate the questions it raises. If this were a mini-series or full TV season that were to end on that note, you'd probably have many more angry viewers, but for a 2-hour movie, I suppose it's an acceptable tactic. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    A big disappointment for me. I saw nothing new, interesting or exciting. I was not taken deeply into any chracther's inner life and I found the story about the second Earth totally irrelevant. Maybe, I was having a bad day, but I cannot recommend this film. I had to laugh when she seduces the older male and he has no idea why or who she might be. That was total bs!
  5. Aug 14, 2011
    Another Earth contains both an outward looking expansionist grand vision and an inward focused deep introspection. First, the external and gargantuan stimulus is that another planet appears in the sky. At first, itâ
  6. Aug 2, 2011
    Nice acting, but not much of a story. I really enjoyed the restrained style of this film, but the story never really amounted to much more than a typical after-school special. (And the sage, self-blinded Indian janitor was just completely ridiculous and a bit offensive.)
  7. Aug 10, 2012
    Engrossing, inventive, intriguing, and eventually emotional and haunting, this film is unlike anything I've seen in quite a while and announces Brit Marling as a tour-de-force writer/actress.
  8. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is vehicular manslaughter murder, like a stabbing, or pulling the trigger aimed at somebody's chest? Filmically, the answer varies. If you asked the defense attorney in "A Time to Kill", the question as to whether drunk driving is a punishable crime or not, the equivalent or subordinate of first-degree murder, he would state that it largely depends on the person behind the wheel. After all, "the eyes of the law are human eyes," argues Jack Tyler Brigance, whose observance is made in a racial context from a southern courtroom where he calls attention to the region's biases that often perverts the system of the law. The victory he scores for the client, plaintiff Carl Lee Haley, a paper mill worker, who, from the town's perspective, has the nerve to bring charges against some "good 'ol boys" for the vicious rape and attempted hanging of his daughter, seems to hail from another Mississippi, another earth, because in real life, a stirring closing argument wouldn't change people's fundamental principles overnight. Rhoda Williams lives on our earth, not the diegetical blue planet where the case particulars of "To Kill a Mockingbird" unfolds in a way at all favorable to Tom Robinson chances for an acquittal. In both "A Time to Kill" and the classic film(adapted from the Harper Lee novel), the courtroom is presented as a legal utopia, which for the ethnically disadvantaged facing charges of some sort, misrepresents their reality to a great degree. The filmmaker rigs the protagonist's outcome, reflecting, day in and day out, our legal mores. To celebrate her MIT acceptance, the aspiring astrophysicist, after a hard night of partying, gets into her car and doesn't see the idling sedan at the stoplight, killing the family inside, save for the driver, who for all intents and purposes, died along with his wife, pregnant with their second child, and young son, on that fated road. Instead of college, Rhoda spends her matriculating years locked up in a state penitentiary. Upon her release, having served a four-year(!) sentence, the ex-felon staves off our contempt by looking appropriately sad and withdrawn. To boot, she has the decency to overextend her prison sentence(a mental one) by doing penance in a high school, where she works as an angst-ridden janitor. The filmmaker wants us to see a remorseful young woman, not a murderer. She did her time, so now it's a time to heal, but shouldn't we hold off on absolving Rhoda of her terrible mistake until the widower, John Burroughs, the man who lost everything, absolves her first? From his perspective, he's like the parents from "Last House on the Left", in the sense that the accomplished composer and music professor unwittingly invites the murderer into his house. Posing as a door-to-door representative for a maid service company, little does the Yale-ite know that her specialty is crime scene cleanup(ala Amy Adams and Emily Blunt in "Sunshine Cleaning), so while the impostor can't make the blood disappear, she can hide the bodies, metaphorically speaking, when the killer washes away the smell from his client's wife's sweater, causing the husband to mourn a smaller yet equally devastating death in its own right. Although Rhoda isn't consciously trying to replace Maya(arguably), this incident of spousal erasure serves as a turning point to just such an unseemly perception, exacerbated by their age difference, which corresponds to that of a professor and his comely grad student. In another earth, they'd be carrying on some torrid off-campus affair. Now here's the argument. Just prior to her laundry faux pas, Rhoda shares with John the story of a Russian cosmonaut who's confronted by a tapping sound in space that nearly drives him mad. For his own sanity, she explains, the spaceman learns to love the constant ticking. As Rhoda taps the kitchen table with a tuning fork, the noise may remind some of a heartbeat, like in the Poe short story "The Tell-Tale Heart", but in Rhoda's version(subtextually compartmentalized), the dead person lying underneath the floorboards is a wife. Does Rhoda identify with the cosmonaut, who no longer hears the ticking, but only music, "and spends the rest of his time in total bliss and peace," which would suggest that she has forgiven herself, whereas the narrator(in Poe's tale), wracked with guilt, confesses to the crime. In "Last House on the Left", the dead girl's father avenges his daughter's systematic slaying by driving a chainsaw through her killer's chest. "Another Earth", on the other hand, doesn't perceive Rhoda in those terms, a murderer, as evidenced by the saw that John performs with(not kills with), when he executes an avant-garde piece for Rhoda in an empty concert hall. To the actors' credit, they portray their damaged characters so persuasively, you forget that they can't be together. "Another Earth" makes us love Rhoda. "Now imagine if she's...," to paraphrase the lawyer. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2011
    really great alternative sci-fy film, very interesting plot. both main actors were great. the only thing was that it was a little bit too slow. great ending.
  10. Feb 14, 2012
    The existance of another identical earth with identical people leaving parallel lives, could lead to a number of intersting scenarios. A Sundance festival favourite, this is a film with a lot of good ideas, but lacks in depth in execution. There is plenty of food for thought with the closing scene possibly being the highest point of the film.
  11. Jan 19, 2013
    I thought the performances from both Brit Marling and William Mapother were truly excellent. The story is quite heart rending at times and they prove very capable of taking the audience through the whole gamut of emotions. On the technical side; it was well made; but obviously on a budget. I did like the way the other earth was always visible from America though; looming larger as time passed. More of a drama that uses science fiction as a device, it Expand
  12. Dec 7, 2011
    The "other Earth" served only as a subliminal feature in the film. Slow paced. Inconsistent. In the end, "another Earth" came off as just "another" uniquely disappointing film.
  13. Jun 19, 2012
    I saw this film at the Locarno film festival and really didn't know what to expect. But Another Earth captured me from the first frame and held my attention till the end. While Earth 2 remains in the background and only serves as a metaphor for another (better?) life, the Inception-like conclusion is worth watching it.
  14. Nov 28, 2011
    "Another Earth" is a slow drama that revolves around a tragedy. This is an important point since the title and cover may give a different impression. There is little science-fiction; the other earth is mostly a side note and a catalyst for some speculative discussions in the film.

I found the film interesting, but overly slow and artsy. By the end I was looking forward to the film coming
    to an end, only to have it end where I wanted it to continue! Still, it was a thought-provoking finish that is perhaps best left for speculation.

The acting is decent, but does fall flat at times. It definitely has the look and feel of a low-budget indie film, so it may not be for everyone.
  15. May 3, 2012
    What if there is another you on another earth? Thiz question will generate other hundreds or maybe thousands of new questions. On the eve of the discovery of a second earth, Rhoda car accidentally crashed into john and killed his wife and his little boy. Now after four-year sentence, Rhoda with her guilt tries to approach the frustrated John to ask for forgiveness. I will not tell you where the rest will lead us. The story centers on two main characters, Rhoda (Brit Marling) and john (William Mapother). Brit Marling made her acting debut through thiz movie. She can show her vulnerable emotion convincingly. William Mapother also made a good balance on their interaction. Even though first-time feature Director Mike Cahill has very limited resources, he seems so successful to raise a debate among the audience with his unique story. I realize that thiz movie has an ambiguous ending. It means the ending could mean anything depends on how the content is interpreted by the viewers. Thiz kind of art house movie reminds me of Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman strange smart movies like in BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (1999), ADAPTATION (2002), ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004), SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (2008) or WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (2009). I think thiz movie is a large-scale metaphor of life. It is straightly about how to redeem a guilty feeling. Certainly, we cannot change the past. So the movie reminds us of the importance of forgiveness. To put it simply, if you want to make people around you to feel happiness then you have to make yourself happy first. Otherwise, if you want to make yourself to be happy, then you have to make other people happy. We are all in the same boat. It is a good contemplation.

Visit My Blog on JONNY MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  16. Jan 3, 2014
    i really love this film. britt marling is some kind of wonderful! at it's core it is a film with a beautiful, aching story, and has some outstanding performances from it's lesser-known cast.
  17. Oct 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is boring. I found myself looking at other things on the internet and wondering when or if something would happen in this film. The best parts of the movie are the "homemade" style cgi images of a 2nd earth. This plot is more akin to a B style drama that doesn't explain much about the so called 2nd earth at all. To me this film tries too hard to be artsy and psychological but it ends up dull and contrite. Brit Marling is an adequate actress and the overall performances of all the actors is good but it is the main plot that is just dull. There could have been alot more done with the premise of a 2nd mirror earth than some woman's plight of reckless driving. Too bad it had promise Expand
  18. Oct 30, 2011
    Originally I was quite interested in this film, but now having finally seen it I can say that I am greatly disappointed. The two main characters in my opinion were both dull and inattentive to the greater importances in life. Although I do understand the need for some metaphorical drivel, the "second earth" could not have been more neglected. If directors really want to craft this sort of tragedy story, I suggest choosing something a lot less extraordinary to accompany it. Things of such great importance and intrigue are never served proper justice and I find that irritating. Barely a film worthy of a recommendation, also considering how hard it was for me to find it. Expand
  19. Dec 28, 2011
    The film builds great sympathy for it's characters through it's music and good acting. However Another Earth's major downfall is in it's technicalities. The film had to much free hand shots when they should have been using a tripod. This make's some shots feel slightly awkward but it is not a great distraction.
  20. Jan 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was intrigued by Rhoda's interaction with John. I wanted her to tell him the truth but I was hoping the "other planet" would become another character. But it didn't. It was a device to hold my interest but was not used until the final frame. And then i didn't know what happened. She sees herself and what does that mean? Did John send her back? What happens now that there are two of them on one planet? Some esoteric conclusion to be drawn? Why was the other planet there if not to be explored, even in a dream sequence, to see of John's family was still alive? Could time and space be altered? So much potential with the idea, wasted. Expand
  21. Dec 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this film and whilst it has it's flaws, i believe those flaws add to the film, in the sense that we can make our own minds up, rather than having every possible meaning of the film rammed down our throats,Michael Bay style. I know the other Earth is there in the film and the characters talk about it, so it's not supposed to be just in her mind, but maybe it is. Maybe it is all just a metaphor for another chance and the references to the other earth are in her psyche to help her deal with the grief. The odds of her getting a trip to another earth as a convicted felon are maybe a bit far fetched. That's just one way that i like to think of this film which allows many translations for me. This would also explain away the flawed scientific possibilities, or we can take it at face value and ignore the scientific angle, just as we should do, after all it's not a documentary. Expand
  22. Nov 30, 2013
    ANOTHER EARTH is an acclaimed indie output from 2011 which brings us a rising actress Brit Marling and a director on Hollywood’s watch-list, Mike Cahill, his feature debut is a soft Sci-Fi allegory (another earth appears on sight and breaks synchronicity of the parallel worlds) varnished with a mumblecore maneuver which tackles the redemption after an inadvertent car accident.

On the
    night of the emergence of earth no.2, Rhoda (Marling) was behind the wheel and under the influence, being enraptured by the unfathomable discovery, she ran into another car and instantly killed the wife and son of professor John Burroughs (Mapother). Being a minor at that time, Rhoda was only sentenced in jail for four years, when she was released, she found out John had awaken from a coma, so she approached him as a cleaner, meanwhile she also applied to be a volunteer recruited as the first earthling contingent to embark on another earth. When her entanglement with John went beyond her grip, another earth might purvey another chance both for his loss and her repentance.

Curbed by its meager budget, in certain moments, the movie looks rather substandard in its home video quality, but it doesn’t discourage the crew to get the best out of what they have, the gradually enlarging images of earth no.2 sometimes with the accompany of the moon are so uncanny as to render the context a supernormal mood, as if there are undercurrents are running beneath the surface, a pre-apocalypse restlessness keeps invading us. That’s why it is a marvelous film, it creates something much bigger than its fodder suggests and leaves no loose end, Marling and Cahill wrote a truly innovative script and the ending is bewilderingly unexpected in a way but also intrigues different interpretations of what had happened on that unknown planet, its mirror theory of parallel spaces is not new, but is applied smartly into the plot and does widen our horizons.

Marling is an out-and-out leading lady material, she balks, rues, hesitates, dares to face the consequences of her behavior, she listens, feels, generates an ineffaceable presence with subdued sentiments and forces audiences never lose attention towards her. Mapother (a veteran from TV series LOST), comes strong as a grieve-ridden widower, it is a substantial role for him to show his capacity and he is great not to mention his unique string performance with a saw, such a whimsical bravura to evoke a girl’s libido! By the way, the score manufactured by Fall On Your Sword is absolutely on the nose.

ANOTHER EARTH is covered with a (not so fancy) Sci-fi coat, inside it delves into the deepest nexus between two wounded souls, one is an offender and another is the victim, but once a deception arrives as handy as a prelude, the fence can never be mended, even it is on another earth.

PS: The film and director Cahill are new-entries into my Top 10 list, plus both Marling and Mapother are among Top 5 in their respective acting branch of 2011.
  23. Apr 29, 2012
    Really not bad, specially when you know it was made for 200.000$. Great effort, some dialogue irritated me but overall, I was very pleased by this film. Congrats to the whole team!
  24. Nov 18, 2012
    Spoiler Alert:

Brilliant. One of the best sci fi films I've ever seen, even if the science fiction part was relatively small, it was important. Gave almost a Bradbury type feeling with the Earth 2 hanging up there in the sky, symbolizing...we don't know what until later. One of the most effective devices was the technology, or rather, the lack of technology; Earth 2 might be hanging
    up there in the sky for all to see, but for all but a very lucky (or very wealthy) few, there is no way to get there! Even if it were possible to communicate with E2, almost no one would be able to afford the Apollo V replica necessary to make the journey. Which sets up the ending beautifully. John's family is dead on both Earths, but he wouldn't have known that until he landed. But once he's landed, he'd never have the resources to go back. And now that both Rhodas are on on E1, John can neither take revenge, nor forgive and attempt to form a new life with her (as weird as that would feel at first). It's pretty much Book of Job as far as John's concerned. Wow. Expand
  25. Oct 2, 2012
    I first watched this film in January 2012 on a flight from Hong Kong to Detroit, and I thought it might be a masterpiece. It's now October 2012, I've watched it twice more (at sea level), and I still think it might be a masterpiece.
  26. Jan 3, 2013
    This was an absolute mess. The plot didn't make any sense, the characters are dull, and there was absolutely no explanation to what the **** is going on with that other earth. I mean seriously, who the **** gives a **** about this random depressed lady when there is ANOTHER ****ING EARTH SITTING RIGHT THERE IN THE SKY WITH NO EXPLANATION??? Just another example of Hollywood thinking they know exactly what they are talking about when in reality, they don't. Expand
  27. Jan 27, 2013
    Another Earth is a beautiful film. Despite some missteps it is a work that stands well in its chosen territory between indie drama and science fiction. Brit Marling is a pleasant discovery, both as an actress and as a screenwriter. Hope to see more of her.
  28. Jan 3, 2013
    This was the film that first led me to the discovery of actress Brit Marling. It's an emotional, sometimes depressing movie, but it does not come across as pretentious or trying too hard.
  29. Jun 20, 2013
    "Another Earth" is arty and glorious, with lots of breathtaking scenes and an astonishing background, "Another Earth" is a romantic movie depending on the Another Earth element, but it is quiet different that I expected, although it is still fantastic.
  30. Jul 22, 2013
    Like all good sci-fi movie, "Another Earth" knows that the story is about the people, not the event or action. This is a thought-provoking film about redemption.
  31. Sep 28, 2013
    I love this movie. So thought provoking, such beautiful acting and very original. Love It, love it, love it!!! Goes into my top 20 all time favourite movies.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Dec 5, 2011
    A small, personal indie with a huge cinematic and intellectual appetite. It may be too lo-fi for some tastes but it sparks the brain and moves the heart. It also introduces Marling as a bright new star - singular.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Aug 18, 2011
    The deliberate editing and quirky cinematography (both done by Cahill) sometimes seem at odds with each other but never get in the way of the story's honesty.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Aug 17, 2011
    Another Earth is stealthily effective, with silences often counting more than words.