Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: July 17, 2015
Universal acclaim based on 1513 Ratings
1,306
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 7, 2016
Now it's not that hard to give this one a 7. It's decently good from Marvel and company. The Ant-Man movie will at least shrink so you can at least see it one more time with the Ant-Man hero.
SpangleJul 22, 2015
At this point, if you walk into a Marvel movie you know what to expect. Ant-Man does not divert from the Marvel script at all and certainly finds a place within the Marvel Cinematic Universe (at least this one is self-aware). Yet, it managesAt this point, if you walk into a Marvel movie you know what to expect. Ant-Man does not divert from the Marvel script at all and certainly finds a place within the Marvel Cinematic Universe (at least this one is self-aware). Yet, it manages to be wildly entertaining and one of the funniest Marvel movies yet. Paul Rudd turns in a super charismatic performance as Scott Lang aka Ant-Man and Michael Douglas is very good as Hank Pym. As with all Marvel movies, the villain is pretty non-descript. However, the visuals are top-notch and the special effects are very well done throughout. A film that works well as a heist movie as well, Ant-Man pleads for you to care about its characters by playing on emotion and family. Though this fall flats, the film is fun and funny enough to overcome it. This is in large part due to Michael Pena who is hysterical here and honestly steals the show. If anybody needs a larger role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it is obviously his character. Overall, Ant-Man is a well done superhero flick that will entertain people who like the Marvel formula. If you are tired of superhero movies, this one won't restore your hunger. Expand
TVJerryJul 23, 2015
Paul Rudd adds his offhand comic delivery to the superhero genre as a man who can shrink small, while increasing in strength. He's recruited by Dr. Pym (Michael Douglas) to wear the super suit and lead an army of ants to save the world from aPaul Rudd adds his offhand comic delivery to the superhero genre as a man who can shrink small, while increasing in strength. He's recruited by Dr. Pym (Michael Douglas) to wear the super suit and lead an army of ants to save the world from a competing inventor. This latest Marvel movie has a lighter touch and goes for a more human connection. That means some enjoyable laffs and more chat than is needed for action films. When there is action, the miniature effects are fun and the sequences clip along at a snappy pace. Without Rudd's charm the movie would have "little" appeal. Even though it's entertaining, there's nothing especially incredible or original. NOTE: There are 2 post-movie teasers: 1 after the end title credits and the other at the very end. Expand
TheQuietGamerDec 14, 2015
Ant-Man manages to stand out from the rest of the MCU's every growing cast of heroes by ditching the standard superhero origin story tropes and being a comedic heist movie instead. It manages to do this with solid action, great characters,Ant-Man manages to stand out from the rest of the MCU's every growing cast of heroes by ditching the standard superhero origin story tropes and being a comedic heist movie instead. It manages to do this with solid action, great characters, and still managing to feel like a Marvel movie that fits into the same universe as it's peers. It's a pretty big achievement given the time it spent trapped in development hell.

Marvel films have always had some humor in them. Guardians of the Galaxy was the first to really grasp on to a comedic focus. Much like that movie, Ant-Man is just as much a comedy as it is a superhero movie. If anything, it's more of a comedy.

The cool thing about the movie is that it's a new take on the standard Marvel flick. Yes, there's a villain and a hero duking it out with super powers onscreen, but given that the focus is more on our hero robbing the villain as opposed to fighting him for the majority of the film, it ends up being a legitimate heist movie.

The action scenes themselves are very well done. Ant-Man's powers are excellently utilized to create some crazy moments. Toys are thrown, ants are being ridden, and huge fights are barely being noticed by the normal sized people around them. Yes, size plays a huge role in the film, and for once smaller is better.

It's the first superhero, comedy heist film. With a talented cast and plenty of imagination. Touches of emotion and tons of humor bring it all to life. Even with a troubled and lengthy development cycle that lost some talent behind it along the way can't stop this from being one of Marvel's best stand alone films. It's a lot of fun and feels fresh in the constantly growing sea of superhero movies. I definitely recommend checking it out.

I give it a 9.2/10
Compi24Jul 19, 2015
Wonky tones and lackluster baddies aside, "Ant-Man" still manages to further broaden the superhero film market with charming, heist-fueled antics and a winsome lead performance.
LeZeeDec 14, 2015
Size doesn't matter if he's a superhero who committed to save the world.

Size doesn't matter if he's a superhero who committed to save the world.

My confession is I never read 'Ant-man' comics and I never knew such kind of superhero even exist in Marvel till this movie was announced. (But I know Danish film 'Antboy'.) So I'm glad they brought cinematic version of 'Ant-man' and I'm sure he'll return to the next 'Avengers' as they promoted strongly in this film itself to know what would be the audience response. I don't know others, but I definitely welcome the idea.

Another CGI magic, another Marvel's wonder. As long as they pick the right cast and crew with a good story, the sci-fi like this continues to rule the cinema world. It was a great team work, that must be appreciated. As usual the top notch visuals as well the performances, even the sidekicks. But I was surprised to see when Paul Rudd was attached to this project. I believed it would be a comedy sci-fi packed with full of action, and I was wrong. It was a simple tale, a heist theme and of course it was fun to watch, but never was a comedy movie.

A wonderful beginning, especially for the first film in the series. You know strong foundation is the key to raise a building above. I know the sequels would only get better by progressing and it should be. Because in all the Marvel's superhero flicks, this one was the most family and young kids friendly. That does not mean there were no violence, but from the title to the characters and presentation, all were so casual and can be understood by all.

It was so great to see a legend like Michael Douglas to be a part in the modern movie. Now I am eager to see Evangeline Lily as Wasp-girl in the follow-up. It would be like Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, but in a sci-fi version. The extras were very interesting, I enjoyed them as well. If you're are yet to see the film, don't expect anything like Disney's 'Honey' trilogy, after all, if you enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) then you would do same for it which is the twelfth to follow.

7.5/10
BrianMcCriticJul 18, 2015
A comic book film that could have been ridiculous turns out to be a whole lot of fun. The cast works perfect with each other. Paul Rudd continues his run as one of the most like able actors today and a great addition to the MCU. A-
csw12Dec 20, 2015
Ant-Man is one of the dumbest films this year, if not the dumbest. Visual effects suck, story is awful, acting nonexistent and the characters are forgettable. The movie is for morons, kinda like the people who made it.
ThegodfathersonJul 17, 2015
If there is one thing that makes AntMan so great is that this is Marvel's most fresh and funny film to date. The likable characters, the colorful visuals, and the mesmerzing comic touches are just some of the highlights. Paul Rudd is amazing,If there is one thing that makes AntMan so great is that this is Marvel's most fresh and funny film to date. The likable characters, the colorful visuals, and the mesmerzing comic touches are just some of the highlights. Paul Rudd is amazing, Evangeline Lilly and Micheal Douglas were decent as well. AntMan is thoroughly entertaining, and I think this is also Peyton Reed's best to date. Well, you heard it, summer has been alright to movies, but AntMan and XXL are the highlights. Surely watch the movie in theatres and in 3D. This little hero steals your big heart. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 14, 2015
"Ant-Man" definitely does not reach the heights of "The Avengers" or any other mainstream Marvel movie in terms of production value. However, as Ant Man himself had thoroughly proven, sometimes the smaller things are better; instead of more"Ant-Man" definitely does not reach the heights of "The Avengers" or any other mainstream Marvel movie in terms of production value. However, as Ant Man himself had thoroughly proven, sometimes the smaller things are better; instead of more explosions or action, a lot of effort looks to have been focused towards the script like "Guardians of The Galaxy", as the plot does have a well-balanced mix of humor, seriousness, and the heartwarming theme that is the importance of family. Truly an excellent Marvel superhero movie and, in someways, a great example that highlights what direction Marvel should take their stand-alone hero movies to. Expand
Tss5078Sep 6, 2015
As the Marvel franchise has grown to epic proportions with it's unique and compelling take on superhero movies, some of the lesser known characters are starting to emerge and gain popularity, with Ant-Man possibly being the most unique ofAs the Marvel franchise has grown to epic proportions with it's unique and compelling take on superhero movies, some of the lesser known characters are starting to emerge and gain popularity, with Ant-Man possibly being the most unique of them all. I don't know how the story in the comic was, but I can tell you this, Ant-Man is the perfect character for the big screen. The special effects are nothing short of magic and take the concepts of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids to a whole other level. Scientist Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) created a new technology, one that was so dangerous, he buried the research deep in his company archives, but when his successor comes across it years later, he develops it, despite warning from Pym. In order to stop this from getting out, Pym recruits an unlikely hero to help him, Scott Lang (Paul Rudd). Lang is one of the best burglars around and Pym hopes to use these unique skills to get back his work. The only thing is the company's lab is impenetrable to all, except bugs. Using his prototype, Lang becomes Ant-Man and that is when this film really gets fun. Paul Rudd is absolutely terrific in this movie, as a small, nerdy, awkward guy, he can be hysterical under the right circumstances and this was just the perfect role for his personality. Rudd is paired with Michael Douglas, who 10 years ago wouldn't have even considered doing a film like this, showing just how powerful and influential the Marvel brand has become. Out of all the Marvel films to date this is perhaps the most interesting one. The cast is amazing, the special effects are outstanding, and I may never see Thomas The Train in the same way again. If you're like me, and not crazy about superheroes, don't let that stop you from seeing this film. Ant-Man has a little bit of everything and goes way beyond anything I would have ever expected to see in film based on a comic book. Expand
Meth-dudeJul 17, 2015
Astonishing visuals,really good acting and really good action scenes,the movie is never boring.Even though there is some minor potholes and most of the jokes are not funny and pretty cringe worthy,the movie is pretty good.
Trev29Dec 19, 2015
This is more nonsense. Marvel keeps rehashing the same garbage. The actors are likable enough, but they can't help this overlong silly movie. People will defend anything Marvel puts out, but I won't. It was boring.
imthenoobJul 20, 2015
Well acted, Entertaining, Fast paced (in a good way and bad, and it also helps set up Doctor Strange too. Ant-Man is definitely enjoyable to watch, Rudd kills the role but it's Douglas that steals the show. My only issue is that it's so fastWell acted, Entertaining, Fast paced (in a good way and bad, and it also helps set up Doctor Strange too. Ant-Man is definitely enjoyable to watch, Rudd kills the role but it's Douglas that steals the show. My only issue is that it's so fast paced that it doesn't really let you connect with the characters other MCU films do. Expand
ydnar4Nov 17, 2015
Ant-Man really became a shock to most people considering the difficulties the film had in development. The Marvel comic had three different men as Ant-Man and surprisingly the character that was chosen as Ant-Man was Scott Lang, who was notAnt-Man really became a shock to most people considering the difficulties the film had in development. The Marvel comic had three different men as Ant-Man and surprisingly the character that was chosen as Ant-Man was Scott Lang, who was not the most popular Ant-Man. Hank Pym was the most well-known Ant-Man who would be in the film but not as the hero. Edgar Wright was also chosen as the original director for the film that began development in 2006 but left in May of 2014 and was replaced by Peyton Reed.

Ant-Man is quite possibly the best origin story Marvel has produced since Iron-Man and is one of the best stand alone Marvel movies yet. Ant-Man was an unknown hero to non-comic fans and his origins had never been told which made his upbringing all the more interesting. Scott Lang is a character were care about as he is a man who is looking to better himself and win back his daughter. Paul Rudd did end up being a good choice for Lang because he can be serious when need be and funny during the light hearted moments because Ant-Man would be fairly ridiculous if it was taken too seriously. Ant-Man’s powers really intrigued me and the visual effects really did his powers justice.

The rest of the cast is great behind Rudd. This may be the best ensemble cast I’ve seen so far this year. I am really excited to have Michael Douglas in the Marvel Universe. He is an extremely talented actor who will hopefully appear as Hank Pym in some later film considering his back story. Evangeline Lilly plays Pym’s daughter Hope and she is very likeable as a strong independent woman who looks to show Scott Lang the ropes. Then you have Lang’s friends who are also crooks headlined by Michael Pena who is really funny in this movie and he really fits into the mix well.

Corey Stoll is the villain in this film and I think that he does a fairly good job. His motivations are fairly developed but I would’ve appreciated just a little more screen time for him.

Ant-Man is another welcome addition to the Marvel Franchise and offers some great visuals, great characters, a good story and some overall fun. Marvel wins again.
marcmyworksJul 19, 2015
This movie manages to break the formula of most Marvel Movies, especially when giving the hero the myriad of drones to work with. Overall very clever and well done, though the ending felt a bit rushed.
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
A good movie , but I loved this clear visual effects and CGI of the microscopic world , a good script, a magnificent performance of the deal, Marvel and Disney partner still has its high quality
lasttimeisawAug 2, 2015
A 3D cinema-going of Marvel’s latest offering ANT-MAN, which has always been in the pickle during its journey to the big screen, originally it had been a brainchild of Edgar Wright for years, then he dropped out in the relatively lateA 3D cinema-going of Marvel’s latest offering ANT-MAN, which has always been in the pickle during its journey to the big screen, originally it had been a brainchild of Edgar Wright for years, then he dropped out in the relatively late development due to creative disagreement, and Peyton Reed takes over the director chair. While Wright has a diehard fanbase and a distinct visual style (although his geeky smartness sometimes can go overboard, like SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD 2010), Reed can no more than be extolled as a slick journeyman in cranking up comedies like YES MAN (2008, 6/10), THE BREAK-UP (2006, 6/10), DOWN WITH LOVE (2003, 5/10) and BRING IT ON (2000), so fans should automatically lower their expectation.

keep reading my review on my blog, please google: cinema omnivore, thanks!
JacobJul 18, 2015
Ant-Man is small, insignificant, and nothing special and if you are wondering who I am talking about the hero or the film both. I’m curious to see what the original script Edgar Wright wrote was because knowing him it would’ve been funny,Ant-Man is small, insignificant, and nothing special and if you are wondering who I am talking about the hero or the film both. I’m curious to see what the original script Edgar Wright wrote was because knowing him it would’ve been funny, smart, original, and madly entertaining. Instead, we are left with the most formulaic story Marvel’s ever written that while not bad has been seen before in several Marvel films. If the film had interesting characters like Guardians of the Galaxy or great action like Pacific Rim or The World’s End (seriously great action there) those flaws could be overlooked but unfortunately none of the characters are interesting and the film fails to do anything interesting with the heist premise or take advantage of the shrinking concept to provide creative action and visuals. As a result, Ant-Man comes across the way The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America come across for some people it just exists to set up another Marvel movie. Similar to The Wolverine, the end credits scene, the second one as the first one reveals something obvious, teases a bigger and more interesting movie and hopefully that makes up for it because if this is the approach Marvel will take to all non-Avengers films going forward then I grow increasingly worried about how they will treat future additions such as Dr. Strange and Spider-Man. Die hard Marvel fans will probably be satisfied with the film as the loud family behind me was but those looking for something special will not find it here just sneak in for the end credits scene, the only good part of the film, and/or wait for the DVD if you are curious. Expand
MattBrady99Jul 23, 2015
Scott Lang/Ant-Man: "Hello. I'm Ant-Man. Haven't you heard of me? No, you wouldn't have heard of me".

The story to Ant-Man is about Scott Lang who has worked alongside his friend and mentor Dr. Hank Pym but has never truly asserted himself. Now, armed with a suit that shrinks him in size but greatly increases his strength, Lang, now dubbed Ant-Man, will have to find the hero inside himself in order to pull off a heist that may very well be the key to saving the world.

The tiny superhero himself Ant-Man was originally going to be directed by the comedy genius himself Edgar Wright. Everyone and I do mean everyone was hyped about his next upcoming movie since this is the same guy who brought us such films as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. But one day we all got the sad news that Edgar left the protect due to Marvel and him not agreeing on each other. It was so disappointing because I wonder what the movie would be like if Edgar Wright directed it. The movie was originally going to come out in 2014 but got pushed to 2015 due to that big delay. Now after seeing the movie I was surprised of how fun it was and how it was a solid movie even with the behind the scenes problems it all payed well.

Since Edgar was out we got another director that stepped in and that's Peyton Reed who did such movies like: Yes Man, The Break-up and Down with Love. I was a bit worried but at the same time a bit interested of what Peyton Reed will do with Edgar Wright source material and after seeing the movie I can safely say that Peyton Reed did a great job directing this movie. He directed the action scenes and the whole movie pretty well since he never directed action movies before and this is he's first time and he did it good. Nicely done Peyton Reed.

I never thought that Paul Rudd would be great playing superhero character when he was cast as Ant-Man, but Paul Rudd absolutely nailed it as Ant-Man as he had the charm, the right set of humor to balance his character nicely and he was the perfect actor for this comedic character like Ant-Man.

The humor in the movie are the basic Marvel humor that you always see in there movies. Edgar Wright also wrote the movie and at times I can tell what jokes and humor was his, but some other writers change a lot of the script (That's what I heard) adding some of the Avengers characters in the movie and at the end credit scene which Edgar didn't want and I can see why. Now it is good to see one or even more of The Avengers in another Marvel movie just for a little cameo but you know why they there to only set up the future Marvel movies and that's it really. That's just want it is really just a set up for the next movie and not let it be a good stand alone movie without other Avengers coming reminding you about the future Marvel movies. But that's just me. It's funny how I kept bringing up Edger Wright in this review, but what can say the guy is awesome.

The action scenes in the movie are just so stunning to watch. The action was excellently shot and when the character Ant-Man shrinks to ant size and takes down loads of enemies it was just awesome to watch it and it was a very creative action scene. The CGI in this movie really helped those action scenes or just the scenes where he's in ant size and everything around him is a size of a giant. Those scenes in the movie are worth the price of seeing.

I also love how this movie brought up the one thing that people always say "Why don't they just call The Avengers". In this movie they explain that it only takes a small person to do this small mission so you really don't need The Avengers to do this one small mission. I just love how the movie brought that up as it's saying shut the f**k up to those who are complaining about that.

Evangeline Lilly, Micheal Douglas, Michael Peña and the rest of the cast all did great in the movie as they were funny and truly enjoyable to watch.

Now for the problems: The villain of the movie Yellow Jacket played by Corey Stoll was a pretty weak villain and was kind of a cartoon villain at times. I think Corey Stoll is a great actor and I mean he was good in House of Cards and Midnight in Paris, but here he was the cliche I'm evil to do bad things to people and to are my character. He wasn't awful in the movie but he wasn't such a good villain.

Most of the character's in the movie felt like plot device like Scott's daughter in the movie as I could tell for a mile away what she's going to do later on in the movie and it happened as I expected.

Overall Ant-Man is another Marvel movie that turned out great just like Guardians. I like how Marvel are taking unknown comics that people never heard of and making them into big hits and everybody loving falling in love with them. Ant-Man was a lot of fun to watch and I actually like Ant-Man a little more than Age of Ultron, yeah I went there. Never again can anybody doubt Marvel for they next upcoming unknown project as you all known your going to eat it up.
GreatMartinAug 23, 2015
Hesitating to make 2 statements, feeling they will come back to bite me in the butt, I still will: 1) “Ant-Man” is the first Marvel comics to screen that I really enjoyed and 2) “Ant-Man” is a very funny movie! It is funny in itsHesitating to make 2 statements, feeling they will come back to bite me in the butt, I still will: 1) “Ant-Man” is the first Marvel comics to screen that I really enjoyed and 2) “Ant-Man” is a very funny movie! It is funny in its ridiculousness, in its insensible, illogical, crazy screenplay and the incredible special effects has too many to mention moments. This may all be a reaction to the deadly boring film I saw Friday but whatever the reason I was entertained and what more do you want from a Saturday afternoon film?

Paul Rudd, as Ant-Man, is an ex-con who doesn’t want to go back to jail but needs to get back support money for his child, Abby Ryder Fortson, to his ex-wife Judy Greer who has a new boyfriend, Bobby Cannavale. Meanwhile Dr. Hank Pym, played by Michael Douglas looking great--special effects?--has discovered the shrinkage formula and, following Rudd for a number of years, elects him to be the Ant-man. His daughter, Evangeline Lilly, works for Corey Stoll, the protégé of the Doctor and pushing him out of the business but doesn’t have the formula and is working on his own. You can almost see Stoll, as the villain, twirling his non-existent mustache. Oh yes can’t forget the trio of Michael Pena, Tip Harris and Wood Harris along with David Dastmalchian as former prison friends of Rudd. Another clever special effect involves Pena and lip movements.

There are a few sweet moments involving the fathers and daughters and one of how Lilly’s mother died, slowing the laughter pace, but only the latter is a time waster.

Director Peyton Reed, with the screenplay by Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Adam McKay and Paul Rudd, who obviously added to the humor of the film, takes the audience on a eye pleasing and mind bending journey.

Hollywood has tackled the theme of humans shrinking before but it hasn’t been until “Ant-Man” and CGI that it has been as funny and entertaining!
smiyamotDec 8, 2015
Another Marvel comic book hero come to life on the big screen (kinda). Interesting special effects since we are talking small sizes, like Honey I Shrank the Kids. Interesting tie ins with Agent Carter and the Falcon of the Avengers.Another Marvel comic book hero come to life on the big screen (kinda). Interesting special effects since we are talking small sizes, like Honey I Shrank the Kids. Interesting tie ins with Agent Carter and the Falcon of the Avengers. Ant-man is an ex-con, has a daughter, ex-wife, can't get a job, not your super hero type material. More interesting than the other movies since he's a regular guy just trying to have a life. Expand
TheApplegnomeJul 22, 2015
Marvel’s first anti-mainstream movie in a smaller scale is here, and it totally stands out as a completely separate continuation of the MCU.

Ant-Man is a movie that perhaps is going to be one of Marvel’s smallest films from a box-office perspective. But even though the storyline is just as tiny as the Ant-Man himself; is the whole concept something entirely new to the superhero-genre. Sure this isn't a big, somewhat epic and an all knowing Avengers flick; no this is something completely else and it stands on its own, flawless ant-legs. My expectations were mixed before entering the cinema; yes both the Wright-predicament and the box office-performance did worry me, but the reviews did sound generally positive so I entered Ant-Man with a big-high expected smile. And after seeing it; well it’s definitely a great and almost flawless start of this new character into the MCU. My only concern about the movie are small things that could have been even greater, but let me first mention these aspects that should make you go and watch it, because it’s worth your time!

+ The heist genre is one big aspect, I really love these kind of movies and it gives the movie tempo and a real feeling to it. Just the excitement is excellent! From the look of the trailers may some people, including me, be concerned that Ant-Man might be a silly movie; I thought so but I’m glad I was wrong! It’s not silly at all, if it’s something well it’s definitely awesome with its unique concept and action! Another aspect is the characters; Hope van Dyne & Hank Pym is especially superb in this movie! Characters are one of Marvel’s biggest strengths and Ant-Man is no exception! The actors are just as stunning, not to mention the charming and non-forced dialogs that fits perfectly, even the jokes fits perfect! Ant-Man is also beautifully shot and visualized, not to mention the great CGI. Many do say that this is one of Marvel’s funniest movies, and I can agree that it’s funny, but not as hilarious as what the general public thinks. But sure the smart Marvel meta-references are hilarious and it really is a comedy from time to time.

- It might be flawless, but there are some things that could have been greater. First of all is the tempo. The first act felt a bit too slow and yes I did enjoy all the humor and character introductions, but I wanted to see more than that; more Ant-Man and even more action-sequences throughout the whole movie. I therefor wanted more speed, even though it still worked great for me. It’s the same with the climax; I wanted more and even more unique visuals than what we saw in the trailers. But it really is a hilarious movie with many unpredictable events! But some parts of the movie had too much clichés, especially the bad-dangerous-company-villain that we have seen in so many movies before. The soundtrack is another aspect; I never felt that the music defined Ant-Man and make the whole movie magical. Music can make everything greater, and with a stunning soundtrack that could define Ant-Man and make him epic, that's what's missing! But other than that isn't Ant-Man that bad really.

Sure it could have been better as certain places, but the aspects that really makes this new Marvel flick great is the (but sometimes overrated) jokes, the stunning characters, unpredictable and great plot and the (but perhaps too few) action-sequences. It might not be as hilarious as Guardians of The Galaxy, but Ant-Man stands out like no other Marvel-movie out there with its random nuanced jokes and a greatly unique plot. And even though it didn't live up all the way to my expectations, I'm still giving it a score of 8/10.

Bruce722Jul 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ant-Man was actually a really good movie, one of the better movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as of late. Paul Rudd was perfect for the role and the rest of the cast did marvelous (get it?). The movie took a little while to get going and it had one of the same drawbacks that the first Iron-Man had (where the villain can operate his suit with no practice whatsoever even though a large portion of the film is spent with the protagonist learning to control his "powers") but once it got going, the humor, action, and excitement was non-stop. Surprisingly, there was a fair amount of emotion as well, which helped connect the audience to the film. Overall, it's a must see for MCU fans and superhero fans in general but I think casual movie-goers will also appreciate it. Expand
homer4presidentNov 15, 2015
When I first heard about the Ant-Man premise, I was skeptical. But this movie was loads of fun and not as self-serious as some of its genre peers.....
RalfbergsDec 11, 2015
Even though I expected something different, this movie turned out to be quite good actually. If you like other Marvel movies you will definitely like this one too. Even if it is basically about an ant sized man fighting the so called evilEven though I expected something different, this movie turned out to be quite good actually. If you like other Marvel movies you will definitely like this one too. Even if it is basically about an ant sized man fighting the so called evil powers etc and doesn't make much sense, it is quite fun movie and quite interesting too to watch, even though maybe a bit predictable and cliche at some points. Still, good fun Expand
FuturedirectorMar 20, 2016
Ant-Man shows unforgettable characters and inventive story-telling to put the audience in shock. Ant-man is a new epic hero with a new powerful villain. Marvel fans will love this film and won't get tired of it.
Movie1997Jul 18, 2015
Marvel has done it again! "Ant-Man" is surprisingly a marvel to watch. First off, Paul Rudd is awesome as The title character. He provides a great mix of comedic flair and meanings of becoming a hero. He's so great because of the fact thatMarvel has done it again! "Ant-Man" is surprisingly a marvel to watch. First off, Paul Rudd is awesome as The title character. He provides a great mix of comedic flair and meanings of becoming a hero. He's so great because of the fact that he's such an expected figure. It's like when Steve Carrel did "Foxcatcher"; you wouldn't expect actors like them to do something very unique. But Rudd pulls it off with flying colors. I could go on about the performances. Michael Douglas is fantastic as "Hank Pym", going back and forth with the likes of Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lily (she's also great). And Michael Pena was hysterical! But I want to get into the scope of this movie. It's really narrowed down to such a much smaller scale in comparison to every other marvel movie. And I loved that! The cinematic scope and vision was so perfect for this movie. The action was super cool and inventive all at the same time. It shows that you don't need humongous action sequences like in the "Avengers" movies or "Man of Steel". It's still rather impressive to watch the action scope unveil on a smaller that level that can still keep your eyes glued to the screen. As for flaws, I didn't care Bobby Cannavale's character. And I wish they went more in depth with the relationship between Scott Lang and his daughter. I felt something was there, but not entirely for me to care about them. I will say that the villain may not have brought anything new to the table, but he was still intriguing to watch unveil. Overall, this is a wildly hilarious and beautiful action movie shown on a much smaller scale. I give "Ant-Man" an A-! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "LittleMovieBoy" for more reviews. Hopefully this review will be up by tomorrow. Expand
NerdConsultantJul 17, 2015
Ant-Man is fantastic, I really liked it. I’m not sure that I enjoyed it more or less than Avengers Age of Ultron at this stage, I will probably have to re-watch both films to make up my mind, but I would recommend this to anyone who hasAnt-Man is fantastic, I really liked it. I’m not sure that I enjoyed it more or less than Avengers Age of Ultron at this stage, I will probably have to re-watch both films to make up my mind, but I would recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed the Marvel films so far. If you enjoyed films like Oceans 11 I would also recommend it on that basis. It’s not entirely perfect, but it is is pretty damm good and I think that is largely down to Edgar Allen and Joe Cornish’s excellent screenplay. The action scenes are great and the 3D is pretty good for a change and the characters were really propped up by excellent performances. Peyton Reed has finely directed a film that I actually really enjoyed. Don’t expect it to be a traditional Superhero movie because it only really gets into that in the last 20 - 30 minutes of the film, but I would really urge people that this film is worth checking out. I Expand
diogomendesJul 18, 2015
I thought "Ant-Man" was going to be last year's Guardians of the Galaxy, but I found myself disappointed while watching it. I was kind of bummed that this movie didn't go for the usual Marvel formula, but at least the movie did a good job inI thought "Ant-Man" was going to be last year's Guardians of the Galaxy, but I found myself disappointed while watching it. I was kind of bummed that this movie didn't go for the usual Marvel formula, but at least the movie did a good job in generating some laughs. And Paul Rudd's performance was appealing. I can't say there weren't parts that were particularly uninvolving but it got better over the second half of the movie. The villain is clearly one-note, and it doesn't seem like a character that anyone would like simply because he wears a badass yellow jacket (pun unintended). However, beyond the dazzling visuals, great cast and entertaining action, there was actually some easter eggs to be found, but the one that most excited me was the reference to Spider-Man in the end of the movie. As a Spidey fan, I'm looking forward to the new reboot produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Sony Pictures.

So... my take on "Ant-Man"? It was a solid movie, and if you're a fan of super-heroes, this film is watchable for you.

6.5/10.
horcrux2007Jul 18, 2015
I'm not one for big action spectacles where we see New York getting destroyed for the four-millionth time, so I'm always a little worried before I go into a superhero movie. Fortunately, Ant-Man dared to be different than the usual superheroI'm not one for big action spectacles where we see New York getting destroyed for the four-millionth time, so I'm always a little worried before I go into a superhero movie. Fortunately, Ant-Man dared to be different than the usual superhero flick like the largely overrated Avengers and abysmal Man of Steel by being a heist movie. Ant-Man, based on the Marvel character, Scott Lang has to use Dr. Pym's Ant-Man suit and plot a heist to stop Darren Cross from making more Ant-Man suits. The suit itself allows the wearer to shrink to the size of an ant while their physical strength increases, making them a virtually unstoppable force. The worst thing I can say about Ant-Man is that it's not as neat and controlled as Marvel's best entries. It doesn't match the tight story of Iron Man or the thrilling nature of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but it makes up for that by being an incredibly fun and sometimes unpredictable heist movie. A majority of the film is dedicated to showing how Lang attempts to pull of the heist rather than showing non-stop action. It makes Ant-Man feel unique and significantly different than any other Marvel movie I've seen. Most of the action doesn't happen until the final act of the film, but the scenes themselves are very interesting since you see Lang and Cross constantly growing and shrinking. There's also quite a bit of comedy in there, which unfortunately, misses a lot more than it hits. Nevertheless, Ant-Man is an appropriately fun and unique superhero movie that actually tries to tell a story rather than showing fifty skyscrapers fall to the ground. Expand
DCEdmondsJul 17, 2015
"Ant-Man" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Ant-Man" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: As usual, Marvel did well in the casting department. Rudd delivers as a thief with a heart of gold, thrust into the world of super heroes. Corey Stoll was solid with what he had to work with, while Evangeline Lilly sulked through a large portion of the film before finally loosening up and turning in a decent performance. Micheal Douglas steals the show as Scott Lang's mentor, Hank Pym. The film also has a handful of cameos that will make fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe smile. It takes some time to get around to it, but when we finally see Ant-Man involved in full bore action, it is very well done. The fight between himself and random goons, as well as the final battle with the villainous Yellowjacket, are very creative. The heist itself might be the most entertaining part of the film, as well as the ties to the greater Marvel Universe.

The Bad: While the film is pretty good, it just didn't wow me. Some aspects of it were too straight-forward and overly formulaic. Stoll's Daren Cross (AKA Yellowjacket) was a one-note villain and sort of a cliche character that we had already seen many times before. His backstory was somewhat force fed to us and you didn't feel much for him, thus making his motivations fall flat. The villain's ultimate fate was also a pretty big letdown. I also didn't mind the humorous elements of the film, but did feel they were a little over-done. It felt a lot like they were making as many attempts as possible, to insure that something would stick. While the film was entertaining and fits well into the shared universe, it falls squarely in the bottom half of my list when it comes to MCU offerings.
moviemitch96Jul 18, 2015
Definitely not the best Marvel or Avenger film, but it's still pretty entertaining in its own right. Paul Rudd does rather well in the title role. The other cast members, such as Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglass, Michael Pena, etc also didDefinitely not the best Marvel or Avenger film, but it's still pretty entertaining in its own right. Paul Rudd does rather well in the title role. The other cast members, such as Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglass, Michael Pena, etc also did well. I was especially impressed with Corey Stoll's menacing performance as the villain Yellowjacket. In terms of story, the film didn't take itself too seriously, which is definitely a good thing since it is a Marvel film after all. Overall, it's another fun addition to Marvel's line of films. Stick around during the credits for another scene. Expand
MrMovieBuffJul 20, 2015
'Ant-Man' is a good old weekend entertainment for a film, a heist film if that's what you like.

The latest feature in the Marvel Cinematic Universe follows the story of a veteran hero named Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) who has created the technology of a suit that can shrink as well as the human being inside it. He needs a daring man to wear the suit and save his business from the evil Darren Cross (Corey Stoll) who is attempting to develop the similar kind of technology of shrinking suits.

The man Hank needs is Scott Lang (Paul Rudd, overflowing with charisma), what we know about Lang is that he has been arrested a few times for burglary and is trying to re-build a fading relationship with his daughter Cassie.

'Ant-Man' is more of a heist film than it is your typical, bombastic superhero film, ('Avengers: Age of Ultron'), but it's hard to stay mad when it gives you a great amount of character development and there is more substance than I thought there would be.

But why did I give it 6/10? This is mainly because there are many, many references to "The Avengers" which did feel forced and shoehorned into the film, this has something to do with the fact that Edgar Wright, who was tipped to direct but backed out because his vision of the film didn't have many references to the Avengers.

The villain was also very cliche and another forgettable one in the Marvel canon. The plot also resembles 'Iron Man' (2008), the idea of a businessman creating technology of a superior suit and there is another eager businessman creates a similar kind of technology to use it against them. Basically, it's a whole, "Apple iPhone vs Samsung Galaxy" story, and we have seen it before.

All in all, 'Ant-Man' is worth watching, it may not be the most superior entry to the Marvel canon, but fans will be satisfied.
aadityamudharApr 17, 2016
“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humour, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humour, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it works. The acting and story is average at best. Expand
MasterRileyJul 23, 2016
Ant-Man is now one of my favourite Marvel movies. They were able to take a silly idea for a movie character and turn it into a really good one. The writing, the action, the cinematography, the casting, the performances, and music are allAnt-Man is now one of my favourite Marvel movies. They were able to take a silly idea for a movie character and turn it into a really good one. The writing, the action, the cinematography, the casting, the performances, and music are all really good throughout the movie. The movie also has some really great comedy which is what ultimately makes Ant-Man as a movie character work so well. Expand
TrilobiteGJul 21, 2015
Ok, I will be honest. The first act of this movie, I did not really like, the pace was kinda off and the progression seemed a tad rushed. The second act picked things up for me, the dialogue started getting funnier and the progression ofOk, I will be honest. The first act of this movie, I did not really like, the pace was kinda off and the progression seemed a tad rushed. The second act picked things up for me, the dialogue started getting funnier and the progression of Scott was interesting to see as well as the well shot action sequences. But let me tell you, the third act of this movie is the most fun I've had In a marvel movie in ages. The humour was there, the action was there and all the characters finally felt like they were a key part of the heist, even yellowjacket (who to be honest is the biggest dick in the marvel universe) seemed to have a developed character by the end of it all. He actually turned from a cliché 'end of the world' type of idiot villain to a truly psychotic and mentally damaged person who wouldn't even spare a child. Brilliant movie, tons of fun. More fun than Age of Ultron to be honest. Expand
sanyrubDec 6, 2015
One more average Marvel movie treated by some fans as some type of masterpiece. This time the humour is a very different than the usual weak jokes in Avengers movies, but still nothing that deserves any special recognition. The actors do aOne more average Marvel movie treated by some fans as some type of masterpiece. This time the humour is a very different than the usual weak jokes in Avengers movies, but still nothing that deserves any special recognition. The actors do a good job (not that any of them ever get any chance at shining in any of these Marvel films though, at least compared to blockbusters like Planet of the Apes or Hunger Games for example).
Ant-Man is probably the wrong superhero to bring on screen, it just is a little bit laughable.
DanBurritoSep 12, 2015
This and Guardians of the galaxy are my favourite marvel movies. It just shows how an obscure character can be made into a great movie. Because of the whole shrinking element, there are very few cars getting tossed across the street (anThis and Guardians of the galaxy are my favourite marvel movies. It just shows how an obscure character can be made into a great movie. Because of the whole shrinking element, there are very few cars getting tossed across the street (an annoying cliché in these movies). Paul Rudd is great as Scott Lang aka Ant-Man, the main character who you can sympathise with easily. I also like the character of Luis and the way he kept straying off topic when talking about something important. Very good movie, highly recommended. Expand
dharmaJul 19, 2015
Despite its production troubles, Ant-Man ends up being another winner from the Marvel team. Again, the key to its success is its casting: Rudd brings his usual charm to Scott Lang. Great effects as usual, and while it is not its top tierDespite its production troubles, Ant-Man ends up being another winner from the Marvel team. Again, the key to its success is its casting: Rudd brings his usual charm to Scott Lang. Great effects as usual, and while it is not its top tier product, it is still a highly enjoyable romp. Expand
netflicJul 25, 2015
Perfect visuals. Not much more. Actually, there is. Michael Peña is very good and funny in his supportive role. Main performances are not impressive but adequate for the genre.
Overall, it is a solid piece of entertainment with great special
Overall, it is a solid piece of entertainment with great special effects and plenty of humor.
gameguardian21Jul 6, 2016
While it falls short some of the other single hero films like iron man and the winter soilder, ant man still remains a great movie with that same marvel feel.
oDjentoJul 22, 2015
Ant Man tries to do something different to break from the mould like 2014’s GOTG, but doesn’t end up accomplishing it as successfully.
Ant Man is a reasonably fun and self-aware action film that will entertain, but it doesn’t bring anything too unique or astounding to the table here. This feature being a heist film instead of a standard superhero film is a nice nuance that works well and Paul Rudd as the lead was a good casting choice; but most of the rest of the characters are pretty plain. The most entertaining characters are Rudd and his fellow thieves, and this probably goes down well due to the chemistry between them. Personally I think they didn’t get enough screen time.
Michael Douglas’ Dr Pym is quite a boring and typical character, nothing being wrong with Douglas’ acting here but his character is just too plain. His daughter is pretty average too, playing a daughter who hates her dad but will help him with this heist; oh and she also knows kung-Fu just for some plot development. The chemistry between these two doesn’t seem entirely there and so their scenes fall flat, but this isn’t just in part to the actors, the script is faulty for that (will explain after character section). Finally Corey Stoll’s character is so one dimensionally evil that he ends up becoming a pretty forgettable villain. It seems like when you’re watching it you are witnessing Frank Underwood inside Peter Russo’s body that is obsessed with science instead of politics. He does have a sweet-ass suit though.
Now onto the script, for the most part the heist mechanic worked well with Rudd and his crew but once it gets him into the Ant Man suit and he starts hanging around Douglas and Lilly’s characters it seems that the pages for these scenes got coffee spilt on them and they had to improvise half of it. The back story and clunky exposition behind Douglas and Lilly’s characters are so force fed to you it’s cringey, and to watch the sudden admiration/attraction that grows between Lilly and Rudd’s character is just clichéd and monotonously delivered. The scenes slow down majorly until a certain encounter involving an Avenger; which was an absolute blast. After that nothing too interesting until Rudd’s team arrive back on the job allowing some comic moments and then the finale- this finale also fully embraces its silliness and goes all out delivering probably the best sequence of the film. There was a small gap that seemed so forcefully put in the finale though that it detracted from the excitement for a second but then went straight back into it. One thing I must say though is the ending (NO SPOILERS) on how a certain character figures out how to come back from somewhere seemed like complete **** with how easy there character manages it.
Lastly, the visual effects of this film were pretty nice, although at times they could look a bit plain and out of proportion but overall the effects looked great and made for some really hectic action sequences.
The film is a fun comical ride but it hasn’t done anything new, and the main reason I’m guessing reviews are so high is probably because everyone is loving to get on the Marvel band wagon nowadays. I wouldn’t say avoid this film as it is enjoyable but don’t expect anything special. A worthwhile watch.
6.5/10
MadMaxFuryRoadJul 19, 2015
Great Movie. I though this was gonna be a disappointment after Avengers:Age of Ultron, but this is what I wanted all along. Fresh Marvel Humor, cool 3D action scenes, and an amazing performance from Paul Rudd. Honestly this is one of the bestGreat Movie. I though this was gonna be a disappointment after Avengers:Age of Ultron, but this is what I wanted all along. Fresh Marvel Humor, cool 3D action scenes, and an amazing performance from Paul Rudd. Honestly this is one of the best movies of the summer, and way better than Avengers:Age of Ultron. Expand
tvnewsguidoJul 28, 2015
As a standalone superhero movie, Ant-Man is pretty great. It would be like an 8 if the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe didn't already exist.

Because we've been spoiled by the high quality of most of the rest of the MCU, Ant-Man is like a 6 or a 7. It's fun and sciencey but most of the humor seems forced and many of the jokes just didn't land.
Rebecca31Nov 8, 2015
After Avengers 2 I have decided not to watch another Marvel movie with high expectations, that's exactly what happened with this and I can safely say that this is one of the best marvel movies I've seen in a while, sometimes the stand aloneAfter Avengers 2 I have decided not to watch another Marvel movie with high expectations, that's exactly what happened with this and I can safely say that this is one of the best marvel movies I've seen in a while, sometimes the stand alone films really are better. Surprisingly charming and very enjoyable, Paul Rudd fits the role of Ant-Man and alongside Michael Douglas and Corey Stoll the result is pure entertainment. Highly recommended and in case 2 hours wasn't enough there's two post credit sequences cause that's a thing now apparently. Expand
TheDude-Sep 10, 2015
Ant man is a great addition to the marvel cinematic universe delivering on an interesting plot with characters that are likeable and have some great back and forth banter, the action in the film is also extremely unique seeing it is shownAnt man is a great addition to the marvel cinematic universe delivering on an interesting plot with characters that are likeable and have some great back and forth banter, the action in the film is also extremely unique seeing it is shown from the perspective of ant sized man offering fresh and new action in turn despite having a poorly written villain and some clichéd moments. Expand
Jack97Dec 17, 2016
It's a bit slow and choppy at the start, but Ant-Man quickly picks up with amazing CGI work and a nice smaller scale story that shows Marvel knows they don't need to make every film bigger than the last. This is a heist movie, a superheroIt's a bit slow and choppy at the start, but Ant-Man quickly picks up with amazing CGI work and a nice smaller scale story that shows Marvel knows they don't need to make every film bigger than the last. This is a heist movie, a superhero heist movie. And a pretty good one at that. Expand
TheKavehJAug 1, 2015
Action packed and hilariously entertaining, Marvel's ANT MAN is a great movie based off a popular comic book. The movie is not the best Marvel movie, but when the end credits started rolling I exited the theatre happily.

Movie: Marvel's

Movie: Marvel's ANT MAN

Director: Peyton Reed

Release Date: July 17, 2015

Rating: PG-13 for sci-fi action violence

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 79%

Starring: Paul Rudd, Evangiline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Corey Stoll, Michael Peña, Bobby Cannavale, T.I., Anthony Mackie, and Hayley Atwell
JohnMasterLJul 20, 2015
Una inesperada sorpresa fue la que me dio "Ant-Man" después de verla, pues siendo sincero, no esperaba mucho de esta película, pero luego verla el día de ayer me atrevo a decir que se une a la lista de las mejores películas de super héroes deUna inesperada sorpresa fue la que me dio "Ant-Man" después de verla, pues siendo sincero, no esperaba mucho de esta película, pero luego verla el día de ayer me atrevo a decir que se une a la lista de las mejores películas de super héroes de todos los tiempos, y si nos basamos solamente en Marvel, "Ant-Man" se une a la lista de los grandes junto con Iron Man o Spider-Man 2. La historia de un ladrón que da todo por su hija al ponerse un traje que le permite encogerse hasta el tamaño de una hormiga se desarrolla de manera magnifica gracias a las increíbles actuaciones y sobre todo con un guion divertido y emocionante, repleto de increíbles escenas de acción. Ant-Man se siente como la primera parte de Iron Man (Solo que con un toque mas ligero) épica en todo sentido y con un humor único y bien hecho. Cabe destacar que este punto de "Comedia en Marvel" funciona perfectamente en Ant-Man, los guionistas hicieron un excelente trabajo, colocando los chistes en buenos momentos, y nunca se sienten forzados (Avengers, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3) la formula que tiene "Ant-Man" es muy distinta a cualquier otra película de Marvel, esto es muy positivo, pues ofrece algo novedoso. Vuelvo a insistir, "Ant-Man" es de las mejores películas de super héroes que jamas he visto, entra perfectamente a mi Top 5 (Junto con Iron Man, Spider-Man 2 o Batman: El Caballero de la Noche) y sin duda alguna es de las mejores películas de este año. Expand
BarneyOnMTJan 5, 2016
WHAT I LIKE: Ant Man is quite simular in plot to the original 'Iron Man', but perhaps Marvel's funnest film yet. For a start, that action scene with Falcon is very exciting, and the size changing allows for some other incredible and freshWHAT I LIKE: Ant Man is quite simular in plot to the original 'Iron Man', but perhaps Marvel's funnest film yet. For a start, that action scene with Falcon is very exciting, and the size changing allows for some other incredible and fresh action scenes that really have you on the edge of your seat. As a film that could've easily felt out of place in Phase 2; 'Ant Man' fits in well thanks to Pym's past and hilarious references to the Avengers etc., plus the cast are all excellent (particularly Paul Rudd as Scott Lang and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym). So, 'Ant-Man' is once again something very new from Marvel that exceeded everyone's expctations, offering a fun, bitesize teaser after the spectacular 'Age of Ultron'
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The plot is very simple, which makes the film feel very short, plus it's not the most interesting film experience overall
VERDICT: Marvel does it again: pulling off something that nobody thought would work, 'Ant Man' is a gripping and fun heist film that exceeds everyone's expectations.
AxeTJul 19, 2015
Ploddingly formulaic. Marvel has lost its touch it seems. This whole wink wink connected universe they're pushing was smart and fun at first, but now seems forced and contrived. This movie had me for the first half hour then just lost it.Ploddingly formulaic. Marvel has lost its touch it seems. This whole wink wink connected universe they're pushing was smart and fun at first, but now seems forced and contrived. This movie had me for the first half hour then just lost it. Douglas is dependably reliable in his role, and Rudd is better than expected but his stupid sense of humor and metro charm wear thin fast. Expand
mrmonsterJan 4, 2016
I'll start with what I liked, than I'll get to what I didn't. I liked the humor, and I liked how it was definitely a new take on the superhero genre. It was more of a heist film than anything. But the movie had plenty of flaws; the villainI'll start with what I liked, than I'll get to what I didn't. I liked the humor, and I liked how it was definitely a new take on the superhero genre. It was more of a heist film than anything. But the movie had plenty of flaws; the villain was as generic as you can get, and the movie's set up took more than an hour, I felt the exposition could have been a lot shorter. But other than that, the movie was fine. Expand
WheelzFourReelzJul 17, 2015
Even though this is the most predictable Marvel movie yet with an unimpressive villain, Ant Man still manages to be a hilarious, action packed superhero film with great performances and lots of fun to be had.
ReubenIsAGodAug 9, 2015
Ant-man is a fantastic example of Marvel studios taking risks and trying something new and different. Ant-man is an incredibly enjoyable Marvel film, that has a lot of wit and charm making for a unique experience. I only have 2 very bigAnt-man is a fantastic example of Marvel studios taking risks and trying something new and different. Ant-man is an incredibly enjoyable Marvel film, that has a lot of wit and charm making for a unique experience. I only have 2 very big complaints with this film. The first being the villain *A huge issue within the MCU* and the second being the fact that Edgar Wright didn't direct the film. Ant-man could have been so much more, and a lot more interesting and unique with Marvel allowing Edgar to direct the film with his vision, and style, in mind. And its really sad, because throughout the film, you really see that Edgar had a lot to do with the film, and that his vision is still kinda their. Because of the Director changes the film feels rather, awkward at times. Other all Marvels Ant-man is a must watch for any superhero fan and is easily one of the better films out of Marvel's phase 2. Expand
Jess_HillJul 17, 2015
Better than I was expecting, this is a fun, family-friendly addition to the Marvel franchise. The script is delightful, and Rudd's laconic humour and style is perfect throughout the film. Nicely paced, with really enjoyable, and funny, actionBetter than I was expecting, this is a fun, family-friendly addition to the Marvel franchise. The script is delightful, and Rudd's laconic humour and style is perfect throughout the film. Nicely paced, with really enjoyable, and funny, action sequences, as well as a compelling storyline, this is a light-hearted but engaging experience. Whilst it's not the best Marvel film, it's by no means the worst, and will act as a nice segue for younger audiences into the (oftentimes darker) universe. 7.21/10 Expand
tjman09Jul 17, 2015
Ant-Man is funny, nice to look at, but a little too clichéd at times. As per usual Marvel Studios has put out a film, that is funny, especially with the comedic chops of it's lead actor. The film boasts a talented cast, including the veryAnt-Man is funny, nice to look at, but a little too clichéd at times. As per usual Marvel Studios has put out a film, that is funny, especially with the comedic chops of it's lead actor. The film boasts a talented cast, including the very talented Michael Douglas, and most of the cast members deliver, especially the very talented Michael Douglas. The special effects are good, but that's no surprise, but a big surprise was that most of the characters had good development, and while the villain wasn't a great villain he was serviceable. The one thing I didn't like was that Ant-Man ended having a lot of cliches, and very similar plot to Batman Beyond, the 90s TV show. All in all the Ant-Man is led by good acting, a good story, albeit a little clichéd, and a good sense of humor. While Ant-Man isn't Marvel's best it's still quite entertaining. Expand
GentM2015Dec 20, 2015
Ant-Man is a 2015 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters of the same name,It is the 12th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.The film is directed by Peyton Reed and stars Paul Rudd,Evangeline Lilly,Corey Stoll,BobbyAnt-Man is a 2015 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters of the same name,It is the 12th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.The film is directed by Peyton Reed and stars Paul Rudd,Evangeline Lilly,Corey Stoll,Bobby Cannavale, Michael Peña,Tip "T.I." Harris,Anthony Mackie,Wood Harris,Judy Greer,David Dastmalchian and Michael Douglas.
In Ant-Man, Lang must help defend Dr. Pym's Ant-Man shrinking technology and plot a heist with worldwide ramifications.
Paul Rudd plays Scott Lang,a burglar who breaks into houses and steals stuff.He was arrested many times but now he's decided to change.Rudd is amazing in the role,he's such a nice and welcome edition to the Marvel hero canon.He's funny,charismatic and committed to the role.
Michael Douglas as Hank Pym though is what makes this movie even more amazing that it already is.He is so great on the role and it's so nice to see him actually act again.Even his backstory is truly interesting and I would love to see a prequel all about him.
Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne is also very good.I like that she's a strong character and does not necessarily depend on others,I really like where they are going with her character and I'm super excited to see her back in the sequel.
The visual effects for this movie are mind-blowing and truly impressive.I really enjoyed the action sequences especially his final throw downs with Jellowjacket.The scope of the battles and the way they decided to direct and present them made me laugh out loud in so many occasions,especially the scene already seen in the trailers with Tomas the Train,which is hilarious and perfectly shot.
There are a few story lines in this film,one of them being Scott and his daughter.I liked that story line despite most of the people saying that it felt forced and only put in the movie to make us care more about Scott Lang.I disagree actually because it absolutely did make us care but it also gave the character a reason to wear the Ant-Man suit and it truly worked.
The villain in this movie (portrayed by Corey Stoll) is also a complain that I've heard quiet a lot.I disagree here also because in my opinion his intentions and motives from his back story are truly interesting and believable.I also truly liked Corey Stoll's performance and the yellowjacket suit looked glorious.He makes up for some really good looking and overall interesting fights with Ant-Man.
The movie faced some problems along the production,it changed directors as it was once going to be directed by Edgar Wright but his concepts and basic story did not fit in with the MCU so they changed it and that is totally fine with me.I liked Peyton Reed's directing and style and I also like the humor in it,most of it being delivered by Michael Peña who every time he talks it's just comedy gold and I was laughing so much.
I truly enjoyed Ant-Man,it is a nice and pretty different addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe,with the scale of the movie being much smaller (pun intended) and it being first and foremost a heist movie.
StevieGJDJul 18, 2015
While this was not as good as the first movies for Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy (which were the best intro comic book films), it was better than Thor and way better than the first Captain America. I like Paul Rudd so I was ok with hisWhile this was not as good as the first movies for Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy (which were the best intro comic book films), it was better than Thor and way better than the first Captain America. I like Paul Rudd so I was ok with his snarky dialogue. I can't wait to see antman in another film. Expand
duncan1964Jul 18, 2015
Fittingly, Ant-Man feels the smallest of all the Marvel movies to date both in story and in scale of film making. With the reliance on action taking a back seat the writing is the star here and Ant-Man has a wonderfully knowing and smartFittingly, Ant-Man feels the smallest of all the Marvel movies to date both in story and in scale of film making. With the reliance on action taking a back seat the writing is the star here and Ant-Man has a wonderfully knowing and smart script which gives all the characters room to breath and their own moment in the spotlight. Rudd is perfect as the reluctant hero, and its good to see Michael Douglas back in a meaty role. When the action does arrive it is done in a way different to what Marvel has done before, almost making fun of its big budget predecessors. All the set pieces that reoccur in the other films are still here, but they are given a twist that will leave you with a massive grin on your face, especially if you are fed up with the standard Marvel trope of destroying a city at the conclusion of every film, which happens here too but in a very different way. Also it has the best use of Thomas The Tank Engine in any film you will have seen to date. Peyton Reed does a good job directing, but it is Edgar Wrights fingerprints that are all over the best sections Expand
ZerpnosMar 5, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Marvelin karakter anlatımlarını çok beğenen biri olarak, bu filmi de çok beğendiğimi söylemeliyim. Bir suçlunun kahraman oluşu, yanında ki eğlenceli karakterler ve bunu tasarlayanın kızına aşık olmak falan. Gerçekten ortaya eğlenceli ve heyecanı yüksek bir film çıkmış. Expand
CameraBounceGodSep 11, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ODDLY enough..I feel as though Bolg ramming Tauriel in the ass would make this movie better while it only made the 3rd Hobbit worse....i missed a good portion of this movie.....but the whole animated sequence with Paul Rudd Leading the ants.....was very hard to watch when I was expecting paul rudd to save the movie like he saved Wanderlust......i also stopped after that believe it Expand
Movi3R3vi3werJul 18, 2015
Ant-Man went through years and years of absolute development hell, Edgar Wright even left the project just weeks before the movie was suppose to start shooting, who would have guessed this movie would have been as amazing as it was. Yes, IAnt-Man went through years and years of absolute development hell, Edgar Wright even left the project just weeks before the movie was suppose to start shooting, who would have guessed this movie would have been as amazing as it was. Yes, I frickin loved this movie! Easily the most fun I've had all year long, it's such a fun ride from start to finish. It has such a great sense of fun with some of the most memorable action scenes in recent Marvel films. The humor hits constantly and Paul Rudd proves he can pull off a great comic book hero. Ant-Man is my second favorite MCU standalone film right behind The Winter Soldier, do not miss this one! Expand
UrbanlistenerFeb 23, 2016
Very good Marvel film, really funny, smart, clever and enjoyable. A great time for any superhero fan and also finally a Marvel with a small scale story, it is mostly just a heist film and that is exactly what it needed to be.
nahtan1244Feb 14, 2016
An exciting funny and fun entry into the marvel cannon. One of the funniest and fun marvel movies sense guardians of the galaxy. Sometimes the biggest surprises come in the smallest sizes. Ant man is fantastically played by paul rudd. TheAn exciting funny and fun entry into the marvel cannon. One of the funniest and fun marvel movies sense guardians of the galaxy. Sometimes the biggest surprises come in the smallest sizes. Ant man is fantastically played by paul rudd. The action scenes although few are fun action packed and well done. The only problem I had was the villain was very weak however who can top tom hiddlestons loki I mean that man is marvel's best and only good villain but that's besides the point. Ant man is smart fun funny and a excellent effort done by marvel studios Expand
horizonbtsSep 6, 2015
This was one of those fun movies of the summer, that has just about everything, just the right amount of humor (thanks to Paul Rudd), lots of action, and even a little drama. Quick, witty, funny movie with a great script, that kinds ofThis was one of those fun movies of the summer, that has just about everything, just the right amount of humor (thanks to Paul Rudd), lots of action, and even a little drama. Quick, witty, funny movie with a great script, that kinds of reminds me somewhat of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids". Well acted with a great performance put in by veteran actor Michael Douglas who looked like he was having a lot of fun with the movie. No matter whether you are 5, 50, or 100 I think this is a movie for all ages. Well done and now I can't wait to see the next installment!! Expand
ledaumasJul 31, 2015
Very well written for such a tiny hero. The writers used their imagination well, and the right actors were hired. To me, this was a lot better than the other super hero movies where it's just a bunch of fighting. Being so tiny, this hero hasVery well written for such a tiny hero. The writers used their imagination well, and the right actors were hired. To me, this was a lot better than the other super hero movies where it's just a bunch of fighting. Being so tiny, this hero has to come up with other methods to win and it works for me. Expand
hotfromcauldronJul 20, 2015
Honey, I shrunk the safecracker - Ant- Man is no fantastic voyage. The furor over Affleck’s Batman allowed an underwhelming Rudd to slip into his superhero suit unscathed. And Lilly’s Morticia Addam’s puts another nail in the coffin. NoHoney, I shrunk the safecracker - Ant- Man is no fantastic voyage. The furor over Affleck’s Batman allowed an underwhelming Rudd to slip into his superhero suit unscathed. And Lilly’s Morticia Addam’s puts another nail in the coffin. No matter how hard they try to make a mountain out of an ant hill - caper, characters and conversations fall flat. If those of age toss back a shot everytime they hear the word "daughter" or "hero" - you might enjoy the last fifteen minutes- where only size matters. Expand
ToFewViewsJul 23, 2015
Ant Man is the next addition of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" It is much more lighthearted and comedic then other Marvel films, But having Paul Rudd as the main character will do that. As expected jokes feel like a focus in this film butAnt Man is the next addition of the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" It is much more lighthearted and comedic then other Marvel films, But having Paul Rudd as the main character will do that. As expected jokes feel like a focus in this film but they don't forget about action, Parts of the film slow down a bit when story becomes a focus and it seemed difficult for them to find a good balance of the two. When the action does break out it is very entertaining, Seeing Ant-Man shrink and grow as he takes out a room full of guards is a sight to see and the end fight is insanely intense and comedic at the same time. There is also a few small ties to the rest of the Marvel Universe and it's characters witch is nice to see.There isn't much else to Ant-Man, Its a fairly straight forward concept that any Marvel/Super Hero fan will enjoy for sure.It would have been nice to see Edgar Wright direct the film but It still turned out OK. Expand
VinceRocks123Jul 21, 2015
My first review in a long while, after the success of the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel follows it up with Ant Man and boy was the getting good

the movie though was too short, yet the movie was just enough to get me hyped

the movie though was too short, yet the movie was just enough to get me hyped for the Marvel fever, that probably is endless. Paul Rudd is perfect to be part in the Marvel universe playing the small time crook who seeks redemption by becoming a small-time hero that is the exact opposite of Marvel's gigantic Hulk.

Not as great as Guardians of the galaxy though its was action packed for the whole family and also hilarious I highly recommend it to moviegoers and Marvel fans who haven't seen it yet its a hit!

featuring a cameo by the Avengers
danippJul 19, 2015
I never thought Ant-Man was so cool. Despite some changes in the original comics that shouldn't have been ignored, the movie brings us humour and pretty exciting action sequences. This small superhero is funny, smart and lovely and wellI never thought Ant-Man was so cool. Despite some changes in the original comics that shouldn't have been ignored, the movie brings us humour and pretty exciting action sequences. This small superhero is funny, smart and lovely and well played by Rudd. Douglas and the rest of the cast are also amazing, including the hilarious Luis and his stories. We also have a cool relationship between him and his cute daughter, which adds some drama and family touch the story. In a nutshell, the film is great in introducing us the Ant-Man and how his path will cross Avengers in the future. Expand
PeterAlexanderJul 29, 2015
A combination of funny and well drawn out characters, immersive effects and an exciting story, help Antman to provide viewers with an engaging cinema experience. The contrasting serious and comedic personalities of Michael Douglas and MichaelA combination of funny and well drawn out characters, immersive effects and an exciting story, help Antman to provide viewers with an engaging cinema experience. The contrasting serious and comedic personalities of Michael Douglas and Michael Pena character's are matched with the more grounded performance of Paul Rudd as the protagonist. Whilst the films story is mostly immersive, it is the comedic elements and entertaining effects that steal the show. Expand
moviecritic68Aug 4, 2015
You know right off the bat if Michael Douglas accepted a role, the movie isn't going to stink. Again I say it's hard for me to score movies in this genre with real high marks. The average user score is reasonable. I would rate it a 7.5. KeptYou know right off the bat if Michael Douglas accepted a role, the movie isn't going to stink. Again I say it's hard for me to score movies in this genre with real high marks. The average user score is reasonable. I would rate it a 7.5. Kept my interest the whole time and made me laugh at times. What a fun movie should do. Very good casting & directing. Would recommend to friends Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
Ant-Man, as obscure a superhero title as has been released since the inception of the so-called "MCU" (Marvel Cinematic Universe), may test the perception that Marvel can do no wrong. The general public knows Spider-Man, Iron Man, CaptainAnt-Man, as obscure a superhero title as has been released since the inception of the so-called "MCU" (Marvel Cinematic Universe), may test the perception that Marvel can do no wrong. The general public knows Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, and The Hulk, but they don't know Ant-Man. And, unlike what happened with Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel hasn't carpet-bombed pop culture with a marketing blitz. So Ant-Man has to stand on its own merits with only the Marvel brand to differentiate it from, for example, Green Lantern.

The movie tries to offer something marginally different from the run-of-the-mill superhero origin story. It's hard to say how much of Edgar Wright's original vision remains in the final product, but the tone is more jokey than that of most Marvel movies. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to make it through the entirety of Ant-Man's two hours without thinking of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids as least once, and I'm not sure that's an association the filmmakers were courting.

Narratively, tone differences aside, this follows the "origin story" formula with little variation. With the exception of an unfortunate deus ex machine plot point, every beat of Ant-Man is predictable. The movie is engaging in the same way as a generic romantic comedy: we know exactly what's going to happen at every moment but there's some comfort in that. Ant-Man contains some compelling scenes (there's a great fight sequence between the title character and someone more established from the MCU) but there's nothing innovative in terms of content or how it is presented. Ant-Man scampers along with a "been there, done that" vibe. The attempts at overt comedy are hit-and-miss. The heist elements are derivative and not nearly as inventive as one might expect given the possibilities. The action sequences are variable and the dramatic moments… the less said, the better.

Despite having buffed up physically for the part, Paul Rudd is an unlikely choice to play a superhero. His character, Scott Lang, is intended to be an "ordinary guy", and the actor imbues Scott with the most ordinary of traits: he's kind-of boring. The defining factor in Scott's life is that he wants to be a good dad. After spending some time in prison (he once earned his living as a Robin Hood-inspired cat burglar), Scott has a lot to make up for. The problem with this backstory is that the screenplay never sufficiently cultivates the relationship between Scott and his daughter for us to really care. As played by Abby Ryder Fortson, Cassie is a one-note "cute" movie child that the filmmakers fail to develop. Her scenes with Rudd don't gel. This is a critical rent in the film's dramatic fabric.

Ant-Man feels overlong, with a lion's share of the screen time devoted to the obligatory scenes of Scott learning his "craft." We get the expected training montage; I suppose no superhero origin story would be complete without this. There's a quasi-romance between Scott and Hope that comes out of nowhere and goes nowhere. Ant-Man is hyper-aware of its place in the MCU. It name-drops shamelessly and features several appearances by characters we have seen before. The overall effect is to remind us that there was a time when the MCU was less crowded and more fun. Stand-alone superhero movies have no place in this universe anymore.

Ant-Man isn't "bad" in the sense that many movies are "bad." It's just lackluster - a diversion with no staying power. The lead character is interchangeable with any number of Grade B superheroes - his unique "power" doesn't make the results or the means to achieve them sufficiently different. It wasn't that long ago when superhero movies took chances. (Remember The Dark Knight?) Now, they are risk-averse. That's perhaps the most disappointing thing about Ant-Man.

For comic book fans, the addition of Ant-Man to the Marvel family will undoubtedly be greeted with high-fives and cheers. The movie, however, doesn't give the rest of us a reason to care. As the post-credits caption informs us, Ant-Man will return, although it's likely he'll be back as part of a team. This is an appetizer and like most meager fare, it doesn't satisfy. Let's hope the main course, when it comes, offers more than these warmed-over hors d'oeuvres.
43in2014Aug 1, 2015
Before watching this film: I have seen all of the Marvel Comic Universe (MCU) films except for Ultron, which was reportedly, only OK.

Premise: A ex-con must master the shrinking powers of the Ant-man suit to stop an ambitious inventor from developing the same technology and then selling it to nefarious organisations.

Pros:
1. It is an interesting take and deviation from the traditional story of the Ant-man.
2. I am not completely aware of the adventures of Ant-man in the comics, but the special effects and the interactions between Ant-man and the ants are very well done.

Cons:
1. In this film, Ant-man is supposed to have nothing to do with the Avengers, not yet anyway. However, the filmmakers had name-drop the Avengers a couple of times, had an Avengers character do something significant in the film, and even had a villain organisation out in the open. The connections with the Avengers seemed cheap and designed to please the kids.
2. I don't know why Ant-man and the villain needs to keep expanding and shrinking during their fights, if they are already that powerful when tiny.
3. The film is good, but not great. It just doesn't have that certain je ne sais quoi you get in Iron Man (1), in my view the only great MCU film.

Score: 4/5 (no half scores). It is good enough to pay to watch it in the cinema.

Who would be satisfied with the film? People of all ages would like this film equally well, but more so for a Marvel comics fan.
RvwFromUpHereAug 8, 2015
Who: Paul Rudd, Kate from Lost, and that guy from the Wall Street movies

What: A statement from Marvel saying, "We can make any comic look super awesome no matter how lame it sounds." Where: The Marvel Cinematic Universe When (can I
Who: Paul Rudd, Kate from Lost, and that guy from the Wall Street movies

Where: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

When (can I watch again): 6 months before it's an enjoyable re watch

Why: This is an enjoyable flick for any Marvel fan, in order to keep up to date with this constantly fluctuating movie universe, you should definitely watch this film.
OberratedJun 18, 2016
It is undeniable that Marvel Studios and the superhero era of movies is on a sprint for the gold medal when it comes to hit blockbuster movies. Some would say that they are the westerns of our generation. Iron Man repulsor rayed through theIt is undeniable that Marvel Studios and the superhero era of movies is on a sprint for the gold medal when it comes to hit blockbuster movies. Some would say that they are the westerns of our generation. Iron Man repulsor rayed through the Hollywood gate. Captain America humbled crowds, drawing large audiences to the red, white, and blue hero. Guardians of the Galaxy shocked legions as it brought huge attention to a “bunch of A-holes” in Marvel’s riskiest of ventures and now comes Ant-Man, one of the most unconventional heroes to hit the big screen.

The story of Ant-Man begins with Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) getting out of prison after serving a sentence for a previous crime he committed. Upon his freedom he meets up with old cell-mate, Luis (Michael Peña), who gives him a place to stay as well as an offer to do a heist job which Scott quickly refuses due to him wanting to take care of his daughter and become the father/hero she sees him to be, but that is easily said than done for ex-convicts. Scott struggles to find a consistent job and soon succumbs to taking up Luis on his job offer due to needing quick cash. Little does Scott, Luis, and company know, the job is a set-up by Dr. Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and his daughter Hope van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) for an even bigger heist with much more at stake than getting some quick score.

The bigger story taking place follows Hank Pym’s mission to keep his Ant-Man suit a secret from the world because he feels if the suit gets in the wrong hands, chaos would surely ensue. This threat is especially prevalent in the means of his former protégé, Darren Cross (Corey Stoll), being manically obsessed with replicating the suit and equipping an army with said suit for profit, and once he is successful with making the suit and replicating the “Pym Particle” which powers the suit, Dr. Pym becomes hellbent on seeing his mission through which is destroying Cross’ suit, destroying his particle stockpile, and ultimately saving the world from chaos.

Ant-Man was a breath of old but new fresh air. To me it feels like a present day Marvel Universe, phase one movie. What I mean by that is it was an introduction movie like Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor alike, yet it was set in the present day of the Marvel Universe. So, post events of Age of Ultron. To me, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Paul Rudd played Scott Lange brilliantly, embodying the sarcastic joker that Ant-Man is known for yet still playing the role of a loving and caring father. The comedic point of this movie was on point where I found myself laughing at every line Scott would belt out and especially Michael Peña’s character of Luis. Actually, the entire heist crew was an all around riot to witness on screen between Rudd, Peña, T.I. (Dave), and Dastmalchian (Kurt). Comedy aside, the action was just right for how I like my superhero movies. The effects were brilliant to me and this film was one of my favorite 3D movies to date. Overall, an enjoyable film as Marvel continues to knock movies out of the park and continues to make the inner comic geek in me so happy with characters I have grown to love and continue loving in their new present day adaptations.
HazzaGallaOct 5, 2015
Although at times the movie drags, once the movie picks up, Ant-Man will have you laughing with its subtle humour, impressed with its terrific action and totally invested with its impressive heist-like storyline.
zouz123Nov 11, 2015
I actually enjoyed the movie, it is well shot and unexpectedly funny. If you're looking for something fun and fast-paced to watch, then you won't be disappointed.
YorkManFeb 10, 2016
Ant-Man is one of the Marvel comic universe's more obscure characters.... And there's a very good reason for that.
One of the biggest problems with Ant-Man, not just as a film, but as a character as a whole.... Is that his backstory, motives and development are things we've seen before. The annoying thing is that this is mainly down to the necessities of fitting the character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

Unlike Captain America, where they took the comic's origin story and brought Cap' into the modern age via the 'frozen in ice for 70 years' idea, in Ant-Man they try to dispense with the original story altogether.

In this film, the 'Ant-Man' is effectively the second incarnation, the original being the 'old guy' scientist whose origin story would have been far more interesting. Instead we get a convoluted narrative that suggests a new 'Ant-Man' is needed to combat the machinations of the 'old guy' scientist's former assistant who is attempting to duplicate his miniaturisation processes.

What follows is a 30 minute training montage, involving more technology whose invention is never explained (i.e. the ability to control various species of ant), and then the 'surprise' discovery the young scientist is looking to sell miniaturisation tech to the army for profit, now he's worked out how to make things smaller....

Cue Ant-Man's heroic infiltration of the bad scientist's research facility, you know, the one bearing the name of the 'old guy' scientist who was ousted from the board etc. And the finale between Ant-Man and young scientist who has shrunk himself in his own combat suit.....

It's sooooooo predictable as to be patronising!

However, it's not all bad. Paul Rudd displays his usual comedic sensibilities as the 'hero', and Michael Douglas is also good as the 'old guy' scientist. Their interplay is very funny. Rudd's three criminal sidekicks are also good value, except that Michael Pena's Mexican Stereotype characterisations which do grate immensely very quickly!

Overall, it's a paint-by-numbers Superhero flick, but one that does benefit from a superior comic-interplay between the main characters.
michael1208Jul 22, 2015
It's always challenging to introduce new character especially being the final one in Phase II after so many Avengers assembled but Marvel has done it perfectly well in presenting this tiny superhero. The editing is slightly affected by twoIt's always challenging to introduce new character especially being the final one in Phase II after so many Avengers assembled but Marvel has done it perfectly well in presenting this tiny superhero. The editing is slightly affected by two obvious jump scenes in the beginning of the film and the emotional engagement of the characters is slightly rushing but given the limited 2 hours running time, the progression of the plot is rather fine linking to MCU by covering the background, science, encounter, relationship between characters and mission to fight the villain. Paul Rudd leads a charming performance as Antman, Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly also offer some surprise as supporting casts while Corey Stoll as the antagonist is a bit underdeveloped. The CGI and action sequences are at a smaller scale, the shrinking cinematography is outstanding together with scores composed by Christophe Beck but being a less darker superhero film, Marvel has once again delivered successfully. Expand
FilmPhonicJul 17, 2015
Bringing a character not well known outside of comic-book fandom into the Marvel Cinematic universe is a risk particularly considering the unique powers that ‘Ant-Man’ brings to the table scale-wise, but what it lacks in grandiose spectacularBringing a character not well known outside of comic-book fandom into the Marvel Cinematic universe is a risk particularly considering the unique powers that ‘Ant-Man’ brings to the table scale-wise, but what it lacks in grandiose spectacular set-pieces this movie makes up for with its very grounded comedic tone.
In part ‘Ant-man’ feels rather fittingly like a typical Paul Rudd comedy which happens to involve a heist and people dressing like superheroes which is where it’s at its most effective, but parallel to this runs a formulaic Marvel origin story that ticks all the necessary boxes without offering anything particularly memorable.

It seems like Marvel’s careful planning to ensure a family-friendly tone and narrative that adequately bleeds into the rest of the Marvel universe has resulted in a film that doesn’t take many risks, perhaps this is the cause and consequence of ‘Ant-man’s’ many production problems involving replacing directors and constantly changing scripts.

When risks are taken you get unique action sequences based on the comedic value of shrinking characters along with the heart of the film in Paul Rudd’s lead performance, backed up hilariously by his “Three Stooges-like” companions.

The Bottom Line…
Safe and sometimes clichéd, ‘Ant-man’ lacks the punch of some other Marvel outings but what it lacks in scale it makes up for in humour and charm, given all its production issues it seems like Marvel have done a commendable job in introducing a character that can quite literally slot into any space in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
AliceofXAug 5, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From the start I had a feeling this wasn't going to be good. With the other Marvel movies, even if they weren't good films, the trailer at least made it seem fun. But with the Ant-Man trailer I saw nothing to pique my interest. The good reviews gave me hope that the movie was good after all but I should have trusted my gut instead.

Now, as I look back on Ant-Man, the only thing that comes to mind is the boredom I experienced sitting in that theatre. The story has no stakes. They must steal the Yellowjacket suit and destroy Cross's work or else... what? Vague threats about how "things will be bad" are not at all exciting so I didn't really care about the plot.

More time is spent on drama between Hope and her father when focus should have been on the main character. And speaking of Hope. Previously I would have said that the romance between Thor and Jane is the worst of the Marvel romances (though I haven't seen the second film) but this just takes the cake. It is not established at all through out the film and the kiss at the end just comes out of nowhere.

And to think - last year we got Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. This year it's Avengers 2 and Ant-Man. So much disappointment.
AaronWasserman1Mar 26, 2016
A very fun Marvel movie, but not a movie i feel I need to see again, and that is a common trend I seem to experience with Marvel movies, they are fun in a theater and I look forward to them, but in the end, they are silly popcorn movies.
NikolayGDec 30, 2015
This movie started strong but after a half or so, as the characters and personalities gave way to effects and fights, relentlessly, and as the novelty of seeing small objects like bathtub stoppers appear huge, and as the novelty of Ant ManThis movie started strong but after a half or so, as the characters and personalities gave way to effects and fights, relentlessly, and as the novelty of seeing small objects like bathtub stoppers appear huge, and as the novelty of Ant Man being normal size, shrinking, the suddenly becoming normal size again (giving the impression of constantly appearing and disappearing during fights) wore off, I lost interest. I'm not against action; I enjoyed Spectre and Force Awakens and other superhero movies such as Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 and the first Avengers movie, but there was nothing like the entertaining relationships of Avengers or Spider-Man in this film, and somehow the personal story (which revolved around Ant Man's desire to see his daughter, which his ex-wife wouldn't let him do because he hadn't paid child support which he had not been able to do because he'd just gotten out of prison) and its connection to the action wasn't convincing to me. It may have had to do with the lead not having adequate charisma or chemistry with anyone. It really just all came across to me as a bunch of noise. I think the musical score should have been a lot better too. It came across as generically bombastic. One bright spot was Michael Douglas, especially the way they made Michael Douglas in the first scene, which takes place in the past, appear so young. That was a fun bit that lasted a few minutes.

Overall a harmless movie for kids - not a shred of realistic violence; it's all pretty silly violence and no one gets killed - or bad language, and it's not a cynical movie either. But aside from being kid safe, I can't recommend it.
JarodyMay 10, 2016
Ant-Man is a very different type of Movie to the other Mas, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Ant-Man is definitely one of the funniest Marvel movies, and has one of the most likable Protagonists in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. TheAnt-Man is a very different type of Movie to the other Mas, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Ant-Man is definitely one of the funniest Marvel movies, and has one of the most likable Protagonists in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The acting is great, the music is great, and the action and CGI is outstanding. The different style is great , and I hope something similar is in The new Doctor Strange. Although, the main Villain isn't developed, Evangeline Lily's character isn't the most likable character either. The plot is also very similar to the plot of Iron Man, but while I saw the movie I didn't think this once. Ant-Man is definitely a good film and is as good as the likes of Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man, good work again, Marvel. Expand
OpinionatedGuyAug 4, 2015
A much more laid back and relaxed movie than its predecessors for Marvel Cinematic Universe, Ant-Man shines with its charming performance from Paul Rudd and introduces the titular hero very well.

Rating: 8.5/10 Pros: +Charming

Rating: 8.5/10

Pros:
+Charming performance from Paul Rudd as Scott Lang. He nailed it!
+The signature MCU humor feels more appropriate for this movie than the previously released Age of Ultron and this is backed by a lot of great characters in the movie especially from Luis (played by Michael Pena).
+This movie introduced Ant-Man to the audience very well that it's going to be exciting to see him again on Captain America: Civil War.
+The scenes where Ant-Man shrinks are awesome and that's when the hero is sold for me.

Cons:
-Yellowjacket is a very one-dimensional villain. Marvel really needs to step up their villains in the levels of Loki and Wilson Fisk, or at least in the levels of Ultron where the viewers including myself can understand a villain's intentions.
marc5477Nov 6, 2015
Insanely overrated. Once it hits video, the ratings will plummet unless Disney pays for reviews.

Movie is insanely boring. More boring than the last 2 Avengers. Its not horrible, not but nothing was great about any of it. Special effects are nothing special by todays standard, the story was very bad and the antagonists were completely unbelievable and not in a funny way. Since the bad guys were so stupid, it destroyed the plot and frankly, I was hoping Ant Man would die in the end. The romance angle was equally unbelievable and both actors were simply not enjoyable to watch. The entire move was a cliche and a bad one, the cliche being that comic books have no depth and are cheesy thus its funny when you a make a movie that way... it isnt. And not all comics are written by idiots like the Avengers, Iron Man and now Ant Man. Since I basically fell asleep during this film, I am going to rate it slightly below average (average on Metacritic is a 5).
djniceyJul 22, 2015
Its just the same old rinse and repeat Marvel plot. These films have become so formulaic and predictable they're just not that entertaining any more, you know exactly what the storyline will be even before you see the film. I think I haveIts just the same old rinse and repeat Marvel plot. These films have become so formulaic and predictable they're just not that entertaining any more, you know exactly what the storyline will be even before you see the film. I think I have superhero movie fatigue and need to give this genre a break for a bit. Marvel have been saturating the market with similar films too much recently. If there was one superhero film every one or two years I'm sure I would have liked this more. Expand
cryhardhumorJul 23, 2015
It's action sequences are something to behold and more fun than you could believe, but there isn't a lot that ties them together except a few snappy one liners. In the end you walk out not regretting the $10 you paid for it, but at the sameIt's action sequences are something to behold and more fun than you could believe, but there isn't a lot that ties them together except a few snappy one liners. In the end you walk out not regretting the $10 you paid for it, but at the same time feeling like it was incomplete; fun, but incomplete. Expand
AGarcia732Jul 28, 2015
“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humor, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it“Ant-Man” is passable but could’ve been better. The humor, ‘heist’ aspect of the movie, and miniature-sized action scenes make it fun enough. The movie feels lively and cheery throughout, and I think this is one of the main reasons why it works. The acting and story is average at best.

The humor is enjoyable and used well, in my opinion. It doesn't feel forced or unwarranted. The jokes and quips are at least more appropriately timed/placed than in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The beginning of the film, showing a young Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) and a younger SHIELD, is pretty interesting. The younger Hank’s appearance is made possible using CGI to de-age actor Michael Douglas, and I would say it turned out pretty well.

*Michael Douglas managed to capture Hank's inner turmoil with what he was given. His anger, cynicism, and some tragic backstory (told to Scott + the audience by his daughter Hope) make Hank a compelling enough character. *Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) is perhaps the most relatable of the cast. He’s a nice guy, but the errors and mistakes of his past trouble his current life. He’s trying to mend family issues, and be a good father for his daughter Cassie. Paul Rudd brings a sort of average guy-charisma to the role, and you root for him and his redemption.

*Evangeline Lilly doesn’t have much to work with as Hank’s daughter Hope van Dyne. Her character could've used more development, but at least her dialogue with Scott and Pym is sometimes amusing. * “Ant-Man” unfortunately continues the trend of forgettable villains, as Corey Stoll plays Darren Cross (AKA cliche villain Yellowjacket). A businessman who wants to utilize revolutionary technology for evil purposes? This is not a new concept, and one already played out in “Iron-Man”. Remember Obadiah Stane? *Michael Pena brings the laughs as Luis (Scott’s old cellmate in prison who he lives with once he gets out).

The movie uses cliche tropes and storylines (strained family relationships, former criminal goes on quest for redemption, former protege turns against mentor, etc). There is nothing innovative about the story, and the scale of the finale might leave some to be desired. After Age of Ultron, you might be surprised at how small the ending might feel.

Ultimately, “Ant-Man” is average, but at least a fun time. If you like blockbusters and superhero films, then watch it. But if you’re more picky about your entertainment, then pass.

I have reviewed 43 movies (on Metacritic and IMDB), some recent ones, including: Minions (Despicable Me spin-off), Avengers: Age of Ultron, Fast and Furious 7, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, Taken 3, and more. I also review TV shows.

Notes:

*A good idea for a new Marvel One-Shot might be to have one about Hank Pym and his early adventures as Ant-man.
*Expect to see Hope van Dyne return in the MCU. She’ll probably take on the mantle of the Wasp, from her mother.
*R.I.P Anthony! That ant lived a good life :P
jlplattenJul 20, 2015
Simply put, this movie is fun! It's definitely a change of tone from the typical Marvel movie, which actually works to its benefit. Our hero is not some super ultimate being that's able to destroy anything with sheer strength or firepower,Simply put, this movie is fun! It's definitely a change of tone from the typical Marvel movie, which actually works to its benefit. Our hero is not some super ultimate being that's able to destroy anything with sheer strength or firepower, rather he's an average Joe with a great talent for breaking into secure places who comes across a rather unique suit. I found myself constantly smiling throughout the movie. Not only are the side characters hilarious with their shenanigans or propensity for drawn out anecdotes, but the action sequences themselves have a lot of humor to them. The visuals are amazing, and the use of the ants themselves were creative and fun. The concept of a superhero controlling ants could have turned into something really stupid, but Marvel in all their genius pulled it off perfectly. I was cheering for ants! Can't believe it...

Unfortunately, my major problem with the film was the villain. I don't know if it was the actor who played him way over the top, or if it was written way over the top. Every scene with him made me feel uncomfortable. So much so that it made me lower my score on a film that should be higher. Also, the final fight with the boss felt like it borrowed from the first Iron Man movie. Our hero in his new super suit fights an evil corporate guy with his better equipped super suit. Definitely done more creatively, but I did notice.
ElectroNickMay 11, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much like everyone else I was pretty doubtful about how this film would turn out. Even after the success of "Guardians of the Galaxy" I was expecting this film to bomb. Much to my surprise though it turned out to be a solid film. It is not groundbreaking as the other films but it is good at what it does. i was nervous about this film since Hank Pym had always been one of my least favorite heroes but they made the smart move of him being a mentor figure and having the spotlight be on Scott Lang. He is the typical reluctant hero with a criminal past and tries to redeem himself. He has a nice relationship with his daughter and has problems with his marriage due to his criminal past. The family is a big component of his character arc but there are still lasting consequences for his past. Even when he saves his daughter he still is divorced and is still living away from his daughter. The relationship he has with Hank is the the typical hero mentor relationship which reminds me of a similar relationship that Mr. Hun and Daniel from the Karate Kid remake had when the mentor learns from the student as well as the student learning from the mentor. His relationship with the future Wasp was also well done as they learn form each other as well as start to grow a fondness for the other. I am interested in seeing how Ant Man would fit into the Avengers and I would love to see Wasp enter the fray in the future battles ahead. The action scenes are fun to watch because they give creative elements to other wise standard action sequences. Unfortunately there are some problems that keeps this film from being only a good film to a great film. As well as the story line was told, it does rely heavily on cliches. The plot was well told and it did have some genuine surprises such as the time when Ant-Man shrunk so much that he was in another dimension which gives way to a visual spectacular visual set piece. Aside from that though the majority of the story line revolves around the standard tropes of a heist movie. As well developed as the main heroes are, the villain is once again bland. Marvel really needs more villains that stand out aside from Kingpin, Ultron, Loki, and Iron Monger. The side characters are really nothing more than stereotypes which includes a very problematic representation of Latinos in Lang's best friend. It is also strange that Wasp wasn't allowed to be part of the final battle even though it was heavily established that she was a better fighter than Lang. Although I still think this is a good film I did dislike that one aspect of it. It is a good film that could have been a great film if it wasn't tied down by it's reliance on cliches and stereotypes. Expand
Stargirl04May 15, 2016
I never pictured Paul Rudd as a superhero but I really enjoyed the film. I will never look at ants the same way again!! I have never seen anything about Ant-Man prior to this movie, so I don't know how accurate it is to the comics but I loveI never pictured Paul Rudd as a superhero but I really enjoyed the film. I will never look at ants the same way again!! I have never seen anything about Ant-Man prior to this movie, so I don't know how accurate it is to the comics but I love how eventually I am sure they will tie in all the characters together. Great Movie! Expand
jacob4Nov 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An epic depiction of Marvel's most iconic oldest heroes! This movie is filled with epic tiny action, hilarious humor, lovable characters, and great costume design. What other movie has brought you an epic battle between Falcon and Ant-Man? This movie even has a great setup for Captain America: The Winter Soldier in the post credit scenes! Man, when Ant-Man and The Guardians of the Galaxy join the Avengers, things are going to get priceless! Expand
MEFzelderMay 15, 2016
Para mi sorpresa "Ant-Man" es una gran película de Marvel Studios, se las arreglaron para poder adaptar por ser un héroe tan "random" y darle una personalidad carismática que te deja con ganas de querer más de él y, sobretodo, hacerloPara mi sorpresa "Ant-Man" es una gran película de Marvel Studios, se las arreglaron para poder adaptar por ser un héroe tan "random" y darle una personalidad carismática que te deja con ganas de querer más de él y, sobretodo, hacerlo creíble.
Si se nota que tiene actores bien involucrados en el proyecto como Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas y Evangeline Lilly, quienes tienen un muy buen desempeño, y crean una atmósfera entretenida y de relaciones bien marcadas (Como el amor de padre e hija de Hank Pym con Hope o el desarrollo romántico de Scott Lang con Hope). Los efectos especiales también son sobresalientes.
Lo que no hace que la película sea mejor es el villano, Corey Stoll esta bien en su papel pero es un villano que ya se vio varias veces en el UCM, en Iron Man 1, 2 y 3 los enemigos son un tipo que utiliza la misma tecnología que el héroe o un villano en traje, si no son ambas cosas.
Mi recomendación es véanla si les gusta el universo de Marvel o son nuevos, no hace falta conocer las otras historias para entender "Ant-Man" y las propuestas para las siguientes apariciones del personaje.
Xan_RyilDec 3, 2015
Antman is one those marvel movies which treats the audience as stupid. With a few Dark Physics terminologies then can make anything realistic even though plot has gigantic loop holes. There was almost nothing new, plot line similar to anyAntman is one those marvel movies which treats the audience as stupid. With a few Dark Physics terminologies then can make anything realistic even though plot has gigantic loop holes. There was almost nothing new, plot line similar to any action movie. Paul Rudd was the worst mistake of the film makers, that guy is not a superhero material. Michael Dauglas being the second one. And their chemistry is worst at times. There is no adventure at all, and from the start, the goal was confined and very small that offered no fun moment or test ride. Total waste of time and money... Expand
MantisAug 2, 2015
This movie has a nice story, good humor and incredible action. The CGI is amazing. I loved this movie more than Age of Ultron. I don't understand how the critic's score is just around a measle 6. This movie is all-round entertainment, don't miss it.
mmweissAug 3, 2015
With a script that seems more interested in the MCU as a franchise than the film itself,"Ant-Man" commits the one sin an action-adventure movie cannot: it's boring.
Jim222001Jul 23, 2015
Despite Ant-Man being a superhero/heist film it's one of Marvels best. It has great exchanges between Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly. With great mini-sized action and excellent visuals.
Corey Stoll's villain character Darren
Corey Stoll's villain character Darren Cross is my only problem with the film. He feels like Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane from Ironman again. He's bald like Stane and makes his own suit like Stane. And holds a grudge because his mentor Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) didn't share his shrinking technology with him. When Stane was mad Stark didn't share his Iron suit technology with him.
Well you get the point; the villain could have been better. Spoiler: Plus I almost expected Evangeline Lilly to say "next time baby" about being Wasp "lol." Like Rhodes in the first Ironman. Since there is a slight first Ironman deja-vu but not too much at least. The movie mostly stands on it's own as a fun, cool and a pretty funny addition to the Marvel films.