6.9

1. Feb 3, 2012
    Alright, if you all really think this is not for youngsters, well that depends on what they think. I first saw this when I was 8 and this was the type of animated entertainment of action and violence I looked forward to. Besides, you have to find Antz sense of humor and language entertaining and the story is 83 minutes of amusingly menacing action!
  2. May 24, 2013
    Overall I really like Antz. For a first film this is really good. What makes this film stand out is the fact that the film takes its audience seriously and does not dumb itself down for the sake of appealing to kiddies. The film is gritty and has interesting message. Plus, it has likeable, interesting, and realistic characters who while insects are human in their personality. This film showed the world what Dreamworks could do that Disney and Pixar did not at the time. They were not afraid to make something edgy and was more for kids than adults. This film has great writing and sophistication that puts it above a lot of animated films both at the time and even today, including some of Dreamworks’ recent films. As a result, Antz is a great flick that I highly recommend checking out. As you get older and older you develop a greater appreciation for it and I am definitely going to see it again in the future. Expand
  3. May 21, 2012
    Antz is often compared to, or accused of ripping off another ant-based animation released in the same year. Yes, DreamWorks Animation came into existence when former Disney chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg left the House of Mouse to form his own studio, and he might have retained some of the ideas being batted around at Disney for his own use, but no matter who copied who, and who was in the right and wrong, the fact remains that Antz is a far superior film to A Bug's Life. The story is engaging, the characters are likeable (Woody Allen as the neurotic dreamer Z is perhaps the closest he will ever come to being endearing on screen) and the jokes are plentiful, inventive, and more importantly, funny. The animation is first-rate by the standards of 1998, and nearly 15 years on it is only just starting to look its age (the water effects, notably, no longer hold up). Despite some aspects of the animation looking dated, others still look great - the ant crowd scenes and the film's set pieces remain impressive, particularly the sequence where the soldier ants march to war against the termites. Despite the odd cosmetic wrinkle, Antz remains a hugely enjoyable film, with great vocal performances from Allen, Stone, Stallone, Hackman and Walken, great gags, a memorable soundtrack from John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams and some often beautiful visuals. Its also one of the most simply effective films about social class and identity ever made - what better allegory for an oppressive class system and a lack of individuality is there than an ant colony? Not only does it impress on its own terms as an animated film, but it paved the way for the likes of Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon, all among the best examples of animated filmmaking of the last decade. DreamWorks has been encroaching on Disney's success for a long time, and have occasionally managed to surpass their rivals, something which could never have occurred were it not for this groundbreaking little film about an ant who dreamed of standing out. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In 1995, the very first computer-animated film came out: Toy Story. It got universal acclaim, and was the highest-grossing film of the year. Worldwide. Then in 1998, there's this. In terms of style, Antz is a huge departure from Toy Story. There is an astounding amount of profanity for a CGI film, there's a lot of violence, and it is implied that one of the soilder ants r**** another ant (so says imdb). Toy Story is a fun film for the whole family. This is not.
    This idea is not original. A former Disney employee, during production of A Bug's Life, left and took the story with him. His name was Jeff Katzenburg. I think that's the guy who almost led Toy Story into ruins. See the Black Friday Reel of Toy Story. Then you'll know what I'm talking about . So the guy who I THINK almost made Toy Story a horrible film went to Dreamworks and created "Antz" a more violent, less family-friendly "A Bug's Life" with termites instead of grasshoppers. And I really think kids should not be hearing the swear words said in the movie , especially the b word. Well, at least the producers knew better then to put the f-bomb. There are good things about this movie. It made CGI water possible. And Woody Allen's in it. That's a good thing. And the ants look more realistic than they do in "A Bug's Life". There are several other good things about this movie, but I don't feel like saying them. This movie is uneven yet watchable. Luckily, Dreamworks redeemed itself in 2001, with the hilarious film called "Shrek".
  5. Oct 19, 2011
    A purely enjoyable comedy for both adults and children. I laughed at the jokes and the actors that are in the film are great. A very good film that I liked.
  6. Sep 1, 2014
    I cannot say I preferred it to A Bug's Life at all, but it does have something special to it--perhaps it is rooted in the incredible voice cast and pop standards.
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    This isn't a children's film; nor is it much of an adult's film either. You'll snicker, you might be mildly entertained, but, in the end, you won't know what to make of it.
  8. Mar 27, 2013
    Swearing in a children's film is frowned upon by most parents. The movie was nothing special, just another misfit bug with a hopeless crush on the colony's princess, resembling "A Bug's Life" slightly.
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    This was a relatively uninspired animated movie, as DreamWorks is so accustomed to doing. Like most of their anthropomorphized characters, there is little about them that makes them non-human besides their appearance, making this movie little more than a heavy handed allegory for breaking free from your predetermined station in society.

That being said, I do realize this is a children's
    movie and it's still good for a few laughs. But if you want an animated children's movie to laugh at, you can do better. Expand
  10. May 29, 2014
    Antz is a bit overrated, but it's nevertheless good-hearted family fun with some surprisingly mature themes so that adults won't find it too boring. As a kids movie, it works, as entertainment in general, it's pretty good.
  11. Sep 30, 2014
    pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    Decent animation, cool characters, and an interesting story, I wouldn't say that it's a masterpiece of a movie but it's still a fun watch for everyone.
  13. Oct 19, 2014
    When one ant becomes disenfranchised from the totalitarian work regime of his colony, he adventures off to lands unknown with the colony's princess...

Sorry, Antz has no show-stopping song and dance numbers, no catchy melodies and no love songs either. The score, made up of old standards, does, however, enhance one of the movie's wittier episodes.
    It's sharp and funny--not a children's movie, but one of those hybrids that works on different levels for different ages.
  3. Antz works best just showing off its prodigious voice talent.