7.7

1. Mar 10, 2013
    Wow who could believe that Ben Affleck would become this good of a director. Argo is his best work to date and lined with a great cast including Affleck himself, this film has some very suspenseful moments.
  2. Mar 31, 2013
    I went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John GoodmanI went into watching Argo with an open mind as I was unfamiliar with the subject matter. I decided to watch it due to its high rating. All I can say is that I'm glad I gave it a try. With Argo you get an intelligent thriller packed with plenty of suspense and tension (particularly the last 30 minutes). All the main cast put on solid performances Affleck was good, but I felt John Goodman was excellent in the limited screen time that he had). The plot is good and it unfolds at an even pace, I didn't feel that there were any scenes that were dragged out for too long. My only gripe was the airport chase scene towards the end which I felt was totally unrealistic.

Having said that, I would say Argo is still highly recommended viewing. Enjoy!
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    If I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. IIf I were to criticize the film I’d have to say is that it was overrated. It was good but it was not that good. I quite honestly was not invested the whole time only at certain parts. Maybe this is not my kind of film. Maybe I’m just not used to the style. I don’t know for whatever reason the movie did not suck me in the way it did lots of critics. Frequently in the film I was bored. I don’t know if the characters and story were not interesting, if it was the amount of dialogue; but for whatever reason I just thought it was good. Maybe if the film took more liberties from the actual event by creating false events to create more tension and excitement, the actors gave stronger performances, and the script a little tighter I would have really enjoyed this film; but as it is the film is just good. Way too overrated by critics if you ask me. Expand
  4. Mar 21, 2013
    Disregarding some factual controversy and looking at it solely as a film, Argo is quite well made. The performances are great and the film does a good job of keeping things moving. However, when compared to some other pictures from this year I don't know that I'd agree that its "Best Picture" good.
  5. Aug 7, 2013
    A movie with some definite potential that didn't quite make it. There were some great scenes mixed in with some average which left me disappointed.

Seemed very much a US propaganda piece that bastardized actual events. Are all middle-eastern men inherently evil? Are all American men misunderstood heros? The movie gave me this impression, from a non-partisan point of view it left a bitter taste.. especially with the perpetual war-hungry state the USA seems to be in. Congratulating the CIA? I think i need a shower.

Some good cinematography and sets. Good acting in parts although i felt the movie dwelt on Affleck's character & the fake Hollywood studio too much.. the comedy moments seemed forced.
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. More should have happened in this movie. It doesn't seem that way at first glance, but....don't you feel like they should have been questioned more and had more intense moments? In the second half of the movie I was prepared to handle a bunch of vigorous interrigations, but it just didn't happen. One single questioning period at the end is all that really stuck out. Anyways besides that one complaint it was a good show throughout. Expand
  7. May 18, 2013
    In the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in itsIn the end, this was kind of underwhelming. The performances are fine (although Affleck doesn't do much aside from looking glum), the recreation of the events using real footage is excellently done, and the story is quite compelling, but the problem is with the script. Dialogue tends toward cliche at times and the moments of tension feel overly manufactured. The film is strongest in its opening sequence as the hostage crisis unfolds, and in the scenes shared with John Goodman and Alan Arkin who have a lot of fun with their roles. The ending lays on the 'America Always Triumphs' adage pretty thick; it's easy to see how it won Best Film at the Oscars. Solid, if uninspiring. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    This year's top films: Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Argo. Without comparison, Argo is a fine film. Tension is high, story is strong, and acting all around is good. With comparison however, I'm afraid it just doesn't measure up with Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. I'm afraid Argo got the "pity vote" this year......but I suppose it still pays the bills, right Ben? A win is a win.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it.Argo manages to make an American movie without losing the essence of its context or the main depiction of the history. It's simple, easy to follow and understand, requires no previous knowledge or anything. But perhaps this is the problem; whilst it's straightforward it lacks in depth, and the two hour run-time is slightly too long given how predictable it is and how little goes on in it. There's almost no suspense until the last half an hour, and the bits before are practically oversized fillers. Still a good film but either needs to be more concise or have more content or action for it to be a great one. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    Not knowing what the ending will be like, kept me on the edge of my seat! Yes, the real story wasnt real to the true story. But the movie did pull off one thing, and thats tension!
  11. Apr 3, 2013
    THE BEST movie since Gladiator (2000)!!! All those tension, all those mystery, with some good humor...
    highly recommended!!!
  12. Mar 23, 2013
    argo is an overall good film. I feel that a few scenes fell flat and many supporting characters were unnecessary because they had such small roles, but the overall film has plenty of nail-biting moments and phenomonal acting.
  13. May 8, 2013
    Argo makes all the right moves and deviates greatly from what is expected from such a serious situation as the the Iranian hostage crisis.
    Ben Affleck continues his commanding streak as director and lead actor, he takes on a film based on a true story, and what a story it is. Affleck plays Tony Mendez, a CIA operative whose speciality is exfiltration, and when he is brought in to the fold after six embassy workers in Iran escape, he must devise a plan to safely rescue them from Iranian rule. This plan has of course went down in history, whether for its riskiness, stupidity or genius is anyone's guess.
    Mendez himself carries out the task, an elaborate plan is set in motion where he, and the six people he plans to rescue, are a film crew who are location scouting in Iran, they all have fake identities and Argo proves that everything is about detail, a fake script, storyboard, marketing tools and even press involvement for a film that will never actually exist, simply for the fact that getting in is not the problem, but getting out is a whole different story.
    There are plenty of colourful characters that light up this wonderful thriller, Alan Arkin, John Goodman and Bryan Cranston join Affleck in creating a very nostalgic and peak into the world of 1970s operations. Arkins portrayal of Lester Siegel is brilliant and one of the highlights of the film, while Affleck perfectly captures the dad in Mendez, who just wants to be with his family. Of course the the real winning formula of the film is the ludicrous idea of the fake movie to get in and out of Iran, and Argo (which is also what the fake film is called) manages to give a realistic and nerve-wracking account of just how difficult and frightening it was to be an American with the the boundaries of Iran, something we are shown as the credits role, when various screens from the film are put against the real images taken all those years ago.
    Diretor Affleck continues to surpass all expectations and is truly solidifying himself as one of the most talented and sought after directors in our generation, is ability to to take various pivotal moments within a character and create a rousing and entertaining story are becoming unmatched, he has taken a very serious crisis and managed to create a often humorous yet thrilling affair, with a final act that will definitely leave you at the edge of your seat, time is indeed of the essence.
    If any film deserved Oscar recognition, it was Argo, its taste for nostalgia while taking on a subject that only became declassified almost 20 years after the crisis. It is a true blend of genres that has created a winning film through and through.
  14. Mar 9, 2013
    While a sizeable proportion of America got caught up with whether or not Tony Mendez should be considered hispanic or not, the rest of us experienced one of Ben Affleck's better performances in a movie that essentially cements his reputation as a 5-star director. Ben Affleck is the new Oliver Stone. No, let me rephrase that Oliver Stone wishes he was Ben Affleck...
  15. Mar 2, 2013
    Argo was a very good film but Picture of the Year it was not. Sorry Academy but you got it wrong once again. Don't mistake this for bashing. Like I said, Argo was a very good film. Ben Affleck has proven once again that he's not only a fantastic and underrated actor but that he's becoming one of the better directors in Hollywood. Argo had great pacing for the type of movie it is, the plotArgo was a very good film but Picture of the Year it was not. Sorry Academy but you got it wrong once again. Don't mistake this for bashing. Like I said, Argo was a very good film. Ben Affleck has proven once again that he's not only a fantastic and underrated actor but that he's becoming one of the better directors in Hollywood. Argo had great pacing for the type of movie it is, the plot developed perfectly, the characters all felt real and authentic, etc. The only negative I would really have is that some of the suspense felt cheap and forced. Sure, they truly did escape Iran. That part is a true story. However, how close they were to getting caught is not necessarily known. So the fact that the final 30 minutes of the movie was close call after close call and that these scrapes didn't develop authentically but felt manufactured was not ideal. Nonetheless, I'd say this is a really good movie that, while it's a little overrated and overhyped (it won Picture of the Year when I'm not even sure it's the best true story CIA film of the year that would probably be Zero Dark Thirty), most people would still enjoy. "Argo f*** yourself!" Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    Argo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran was overrun. Hundreds were held hostage for over a year, but six did manage to escape and went into hiding. Knowing that their lives were even more in dangerArgo is the Academy Award Winner for Best Picture of 2012, and while it was an amazing film, the actual story was far less interesting. In 1980, the tensions between Iran and The United States began, and the U.S. embassy in Tehran was overrun. Hundreds were held hostage for over a year, but six did manage to escape and went into hiding. Knowing that their lives were even more in danger than those of the hostages, the C.I.A. developed a unique plan to get them out of Iran. They sent in one of their top agents, with credentials claiming that he was part of a Canadian film crew. Armed with fake documents, he would smuggled the six out of the country. The film was intense and featured one close call after another, but in reality, getting them out was almost too easy. They were never stopped or questioned, and slipped out under the cover of early morning, without a hitch, but what kind of a movie would that be? Once these classified files were released by the U.S. Government, Hollywood saw the chance to tell this story in an extreme manor, and did so much to the delight of audiences and much to the chagrin of the other countries involved. Ben Affleck both stars and directs this film, and while everyone raves about his performance, I thought it was typically cold and flat. Ben Affleck wasn't interesting, the character he played was. Affleck wasn't any more likeable or skillful here than he was in any other role and that's why he didn't win best actor. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the man is a fantastic Director, but a very mediocre actor. That being said, the extreme locations and huge cast, were his biggest challenge to date as a Director, and I was very impressed by the way he managed to pull it off. Argo is based on a true story, it's fast paced, and even though we all know what happened before seeing the film, it's still an edge of your seat thriller that really shouldn't be missed. Expand
  17. Aug 13, 2014
    Argo is an good slow-growth film that caps with a fantastically tense ending. If you can stand a slower movie without things constantly exploding for you then you should absolutely see this movie.
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    IF this movie is an 8 and frankly I gave it an 8 mainly because it won the Oscar for best film it is certainly a weak 8. While an interesting film, there is little special going on here. This really makes one wonder about the entire awards process. An entertaining two hours, but nothing that will leave you feeling you have seen something extraordinary.
  19. Sep 1, 2014
    Affleck has directed and crafted one of the best films of not only this year, but of his entire career. This film manages to take a true story and turn it into a masterpiece.
  20. Apr 9, 2013
    It felt like the movie started out a little slow. But, that feeling went away pretty quickly.

Argo is easily one of the best movies of 2012. Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and the rest of the crew deliver an Oscar-worthy performance.
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say this movie is just amazing.
    I did not know about the Canadian Caper incident but now i know more than anything.

This is Ben Affleck's Masterpiece and it is breathtaking.
    Ben plays the master of disguise Tony Mendez and is quite a performance.
    Every actor especially who plays the trapped civialians are truly good.
    no wonder it has won an Oscar for Best movie and Best Adapted screenplay

Tense,dark,gloomy,clever and occasionally funny,
    it is so entertaining and not too long
    you would wonder how short it was.

Alan Arkin really makes us laugh with his clever jokes .
    Cinematography is top-notch.
    The locations,sets and everything about this movie is so great.
    The climax is incredible so are the credits.

R.I.P the victims and Praise the lord who sent a real hero to save those people and all the people who were on this case helping them.

In Nutshell,Argo is masterpiece of modern film making.
    it makes us so happy so you cannot resist without saying "Argo f**k yourself.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    The buildup was a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's just awesome. It's thrilling, suspenseful, and well-directed. I mean, just think about the dialogue and the acting, and this movie really stands out.
  23. Feb 18, 2013
    Argo is a great story that sells itself on the fact that it is an insane, but true story. It's a good movie, but it really isn't great in any capacity. The performances were on, but afflec's distance felt forced. The story was interesting, but very predictable, and very Hollywood (I guess that might be part of the point, so we'll let that pass). There wasn't anything bad in Argo, in fact,Argo is a great story that sells itself on the fact that it is an insane, but true story. It's a good movie, but it really isn't great in any capacity. The performances were on, but afflec's distance felt forced. The story was interesting, but very predictable, and very Hollywood (I guess that might be part of the point, so we'll let that pass). There wasn't anything bad in Argo, in fact, you could say it was flawless. However, I don't feel it did justice to the historical situation, and that something was indeed missing. In a year that didn't include Zero Dark Thirty, I might not be looking for that extra something, but I digress. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2013
    A wonderful film with lovely attention to detail. From the old school Warner logo to the side-by-side comparison shots at the end, Argo has clearly had a lot of work put into, what is, a fairly simple plot. It is engrossing throughout as the situation worsens and the bizarre rescue plot looks doomed to failure. A somewhat sedate pace is amped up towards the last half hour. Details areA wonderful film with lovely attention to detail. From the old school Warner logo to the side-by-side comparison shots at the end, Argo has clearly had a lot of work put into, what is, a fairly simple plot. It is engrossing throughout as the situation worsens and the bizarre rescue plot looks doomed to failure. A somewhat sedate pace is amped up towards the last half hour. Details are probably fudged for dramatic tension but the nice thing is that no one member of the cast goes for the obvious grandstanding. Even Affleck resists at points where a more overblown performance would have taken away from the film.

The film looks great, with a great late 70's cinema feel. The soundtrack has some nice tunes in there as well to carry the mode. Pity John Goodman doesnt get to shine as much as I'd like but thats a minor quibble. Is it worth the oscar? How should I know, but it is worth the two hours of your time.
  25. Mar 13, 2014
    Very tense and very well done. The directing was perfect to make the situation as tense and intense as it truly was. It was very entertaining and very interesting. However nothing about the film seemed particularly innovative or new. A good film, yes. Best picture worthy, questionable.
  26. Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad film at all, does not fail to build massive tension throughout the end... but i was disappointed due the fact that this ends up in typical exaggerated american style "we are the good guys and we always win".

It's great that they make films about historic events, but i think it's just an absolutely onesided view of events.
  27. Mar 22, 2013
    Impresionante, la puesta en escena, la interpretación, y lo crehíble de la historia aunque parezca increhíble. Ben Affleck extraordinario, convirtiendo al actor en un buenísimo director.
  28. Oct 28, 2012
    Argo is an intelligent film detailing a CIA covert operation during the depths of the Iranian hostage crisis is 1980. Affleck directs this taut thriller with a great command of the cinematic elements - using vintage cinematography to convey the period at hand - but the script lacks the emotional depth and characterisation seen in masterpieces of the genre. Nevertheless, it is a realisticArgo is an intelligent film detailing a CIA covert operation during the depths of the Iranian hostage crisis is 1980. Affleck directs this taut thriller with a great command of the cinematic elements - using vintage cinematography to convey the period at hand - but the script lacks the emotional depth and characterisation seen in masterpieces of the genre. Nevertheless, it is a realistic portrayal of a fascinating (and gripping) mission that does not disappoint in terms of sheer intensity. Expand
  29. Oct 15, 2012
    To go or to forgo Argo?
    See what two old-school Hollywood veterans have to say
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    All’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processatiAll’inizio della crisi degli ostaggi in Iran, un piccolo gruppo fuoriuscito dall’ambasciata degli Stati Uniti durante l’assalto alla stessa finisce per ritrovarsi in una posizione più pericolosa rispetto ai diplomatici rimasti prigionieri: riparati in casa dell’ambasciatore canadese, non hanno addosso gli occhi del mondo e ogni giorno che passa il rischio di venir scoperti e processati aumenta. Per portarli a casa, la Cia si inventa un falso film di fantascienza, ‘Argo’, da girarsi in esotiche locations persiane: sul filo del rasoio, l’operazione riesce, ma l’agente Mendez che il tutto ha apparecchiato e portato a termine non può ricevere i pubblici elogi fino a quando Clinton, vent’anni dopo, non toglie il segreto sulla missione. Per raccontarne la storia, l’esordiente Affleck gira un film d’azione senza pecche, basato su di una sceneggiatura di Chris Terrio che segue la traccia dei fatti drammatizzandone alcune parti (una questione che appare secondaria, non trattandosi di un documentario). Nella prima ora, la tensione si stempera grazie ai tocchi di commedia che si possono trovare nei dialoghi serrati all’interno dell’Agenzia e durante la parentesi holliwoodiana (alcune battute sono un po’ telefonate ma pazienza…), poi il ritmo si fa sempre più serrato, fra montaggio incrociato con qualche discrepanza sui fusi orari e possibili pericoli evitati per un soffio che lasciano con il fiato sospeso. L’occhio del regista restituisce in modo efficace un mondo del tutto analogico, fatto di telescriventi e grossi nodi alla cravatta, raggiungendo i risultati migliori negli interni ambientati a Langley e inquadrati come negli anni Settanta. Alla riuscita collabora un cast esperto e ben assortito, in cui oltre all’Affleck attore, con barba e capello lungo molto Seventies spiccano Cranston (il capo duro ma sensibile) e, soprattutto, la coppia Arkin/Goodman che, a Los Angeles, fornisce la base logistica al falso film strappando anche qualche sorriso: in confronto, risultano meno definiti i sei in fuga, con il solo Scoot McNairy che ha la possibilità di rendere un po’ meno bidimensionale il suo personaggio, il più dubbioso nei confronti del piano di Mendez. Detto tutto questo, e confermato che le due ore scorrono veloci e coinvolgenti, lascia perplessi che ‘Argo’ sia stato preferito a ‘Lincoln’ nella corsa agli Oscar e l’unico motivo che pare plausibile l’eccesso patriottico. Non che il film di Spielberg manchi di retorica a stelle e strisce, ma vuoi mettere un film ambientato un secolo e mezzo fa che parla di una spaccatura interna non del tutto superata neppure oggi con uno costruito attorno a un momento storico che tantissimi di noi hanno vissuto e ha il pregio di poter nettamente separare i buoni dai cattivi? Se non fosse per il prologo in cui si accenna alla responsabilità anglo-americana nella caduta di Mossadeq che spianò la strada al feroce regime di Reza Pahlavi la Cia ne esce candida come un giglio (e alla fine rinuncia anche ad appuntarsi la medaglia al merito) mentre gli iraniani sono rappresentati, a parte la barba, alla stregua degli indiani dei film di una volta violenti, urlanti e pure un po’ tonti: se un dato di fatto che la Rivoluzione Islamica non sia stata un pranzo di gala, la banalizzazione risulta comunque fastidiosa. Expand
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    This is not a review just a few stray thoughts........

- It's a movie movie in the best sense. It keeps you entertained, provides some humor, some thrills, characters to care about but doesn't tax you too much. - Has a couple of simple but thrilling set pieces. The one at the end of the movie had me at edge of my seat, willing the characters to go where I knew they'd end... but
    This is not a review just a few stray thoughts........

- Has a couple of simple but thrilling set pieces. The one at the end of the movie had me at edge of my seat, willing the characters to go where I knew they'd end... but still thrilling. It probably didn't happen that way in real life but it's a movie.... dramatic license. I was OK with it.

- I wish the screenplay developed Affleck's main character beyond the stock ""excellent at his job, trying to spend more time with kid". We've seen that many times. He's based on a real person after all!!

- Things go too smoothly throughout. Too straightforward and simple. Yes the rescue idea is called out as being bad but everybody gets on board. The Hollywood setting up of the fake movie also goes without a hitch. Is this how it happened in real life? There is no real conflict.

- My fave line : Ladies and Gentleman alcoholic beverages can be served now as we just crossed out of Iranian air space"". As I used to travel in Middle East that announcement always meant the party can start, has more meaning in the movie; still fun to hear it.

- Don't understand the Oscar buzz for Alan Arkin. He's very funny but hardly in the movie. Yes he has almost all the funny one liners but that's "best"of year?

- Chris Messina; when are you going to get a meaty movie role? Nice to see you pop up everywhere and lead on The Mindy Project, though.
  32. Mar 21, 2013
    Argo doesn't quite succeed entirely. Despite excelling in its screenplay, structure, pacing and especially its cinematography; Argo delivers not-so stunning acting performances (apart from Alan Arkin- who steals the show) and its character construction is rather unsatisfying- Tony Mendez never really strays beyond the cliche of a workaholic divorcee. Overall, its a nice little piece ofArgo doesn't quite succeed entirely. Despite excelling in its screenplay, structure, pacing and especially its cinematography; Argo delivers not-so stunning acting performances (apart from Alan Arkin- who steals the show) and its character construction is rather unsatisfying- Tony Mendez never really strays beyond the cliche of a workaholic divorcee. Overall, its a nice little piece of American propaganda, as well as being a competent thriller, but it doesn't wholly fulfil its promise. Expand
  33. Oct 20, 2012
    The film is a whopper of a tale, one designed for Oscar nominations, Best Picture and Best Director among them , 'Argo' is one of the best movies of the year. Hollywood stop the remakes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Movies-is-Killing-Hollywood/361119783969397
  34. Jul 25, 2013
    how the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other thanhow the critics gave this movie an 8 out of 10 is beyond me! i guess critics are into incredibly bland movies or they must've got paid to give this movie a high score! this movie drags; the dialogue is uninteresting, the pace drags, there is no suspense or thrills! the only thrill i got was the beginning of the movie and when theyre riding through the crowd of angry israel's! other than that though this movie was bland, dry, and devoid of any suspense or thrills! the only reason why im not giving this turd bomb a 0 out of 10 is because the popcorn they gave me at the theatre was damn good! i got more entertainment hearing the crunch of the popcorn as i chewed it! i got more entertainment out playing with my thumbs!

3 out of 10!

the only postives i can give this movie is the beginning, the bus ride, and the popcorn i had while watching the movie! send this piece of back to the vagabonds of hell from whence it came from!
  35. Oct 26, 2012
    I went into the movie expecting a little more of the extraction and a little less of the political workings and preparation leading up to the extraction. Never once did I have the sense of urgency I typically get with a movie like this nor did I form an emotional connection with any of the characters - hostages or those working to get them out alike. I think the story is a great one andI went into the movie expecting a little more of the extraction and a little less of the political workings and preparation leading up to the extraction. Never once did I have the sense of urgency I typically get with a movie like this nor did I form an emotional connection with any of the characters - hostages or those working to get them out alike. I think the story is a great one and lends an insight into the diverse assets at the fingertips of the US's clandestine forces. I enjoyed it once and will surely watch it again when it makes it to my movie channels but not a movie I am thinking of seeing again at the theater or waiting for the DVD to come out. Affleck was very good but The Town is still the best of his directorial efforts in my opinion. Expand
  36. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie's rating average is almost as big as Affleck's head. After seeing "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" I really wanted to love this movie. But Affleck ruined it for me. Not that he's a bad actor--I just can't relate to him. He's handsome, charming, strong...it's hard to feel sorry for him. They tried to beef up his character with the whole "my wife and I are taking a break"This movie's rating average is almost as big as Affleck's head. After seeing "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" I really wanted to love this movie. But Affleck ruined it for me. Not that he's a bad actor--I just can't relate to him. He's handsome, charming, strong...it's hard to feel sorry for him. They tried to beef up his character with the whole "my wife and I are taking a break" concept but I didn't believe it for one second.

So I have to watch this secret agent that's never really in any danger himself try to save people from a desperate situation. Though I felt the situation was well set up, it's hard to get tense when I already know everyone makes it out fine. It felt like just another Hollywood movie celebrating the great victories Hollywood has provided to mankind. Which might be why it's already getting Oscar talk.
  37. Aug 5, 2013
    Argo 8/10.............................................................................................................................................
  38. Jan 27, 2013
    great film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see ifgreat film! not sure I understand the hype? good storyline and screen play, but nothing extra special? ben Affleck is obviously talented as a director, writer and actor. but for me it falls short of any other critically acclaimed film this year? Alan Arkin is superb and partnered with John Goodman they make a humours, realistic depiction of their characters. A great film, and a must see if you like a tense drama... but isn't the best film of the year? its barely memorable! Expand
  39. Sep 22, 2013
    Argo is a true story, so it`s amazing, but did not make for a great movie for me. It`s interesting, but did not blow me away, and I wouldn`t care much for it if it was all made up. I did find it watchable, and worth finishing for the movie rush at the end.
  40. Feb 8, 2013
    The movie had excellent visuals and period feel. The acting was good too. I also liked the subject matter. But the pace was slow, so the movie became a drag at times. Something was off the entire time. I cannot bring myself to watch it again. There are other movies with serious tone and longer running time like The Pianist and Shawshank Redemption that manage to pull it off and are highlyThe movie had excellent visuals and period feel. The acting was good too. I also liked the subject matter. But the pace was slow, so the movie became a drag at times. Something was off the entire time. I cannot bring myself to watch it again. There are other movies with serious tone and longer running time like The Pianist and Shawshank Redemption that manage to pull it off and are highly entertaining. Argo definitely doesn't deserve the highest prize at the Oscars. Expand
  41. Jul 29, 2013
    "Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr. Affleck for the award winning "Good Night, and Good Luck,” (2005) "Argo" is also based on history, with its fair share of dramatic license, that uniquely"Gone Baby Gone," "The Town," and now "Argo," Ben Affleck scores a hat trick with three acclaimed films that exhibit his impressive command behind the camera. Producing the film with George Clooney and Grat Heslov, who worked with Mr. Affleck for the award winning "Good Night, and Good Luck,” (2005) "Argo" is also based on history, with its fair share of dramatic license, that uniquely incorporates Hollywood during the tumultuous times of the Iran hostage crisis of the late 70's to early 80's.

“Argo” opens with a compelling re-creation of the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Iran by militant students. It's November 4, 1979 and the world is about to change. Civilians force their way into the Embassy slowly, then, once the gates are forced open, in droves. Employees and diplomats rush to shred and incinerate all sensitive material before the building is completely overtaken. Six of them Bob Anders (Tate Donovan), Lee Schatz (Rory Cochrane), Mark and Cora Lijek (Christopher Denham and Clea DuVall), and Joe and Kathy Stafford (Scoot McNairy and Kerry Bishe) escape and make it to the residence of Canadian ambassador Ken Taylor (Victor Garber), where they are hidden for nearly 3 months.

The State Department, helped by the CIA, decides to mount a rescue mission. By mid-January, concerns are rising that, if the diplomats aren't smuggled out of Iran, they may be captured and publicly executed. The Canadian government, concerned about the safety of the ambassador and his staff, is also applying pressure. CIA director Jack O'Donnell (Bryan Cranston) calls in agent Tony Mendez (Affleck), an infiltration expert, to devise a plan to get the six people out. The primary problem is that there is no viable reason why a half-dozen North Americans would be wandering Tehran. With the help of Hollywood make-up artist John Chambers (John Goodman) and producer Lester Siegel (Alan Arkin), Tony establishes a fake production company for a cheesy sci-fi movie called “Argo,” and devises a cover story that will hopefully allow them to pass through security at the airport and board a Swiss Air flight.

“Argo,” is directed with flair and style by an admired actor/director, and as a period recreation it is just about flawless. There is a notable lack of on-screen bloodshed or violence, confident in its compelling story to invoke edge-of-your-seat tension. The movie has a surprisingly celebratory, feel-good tone rather than dwelling on any political overtones or commentary. The film is made to resemble something coming out of that era, integrating archive footage that lends authenticity to the retelling of the "Canadian Caper.”

A closing-credits side-by-side montage shows to what lengths Affleck has gone to re-create the real-life places and people of "Argo,” and its his impressive command behind the camera the staging, editing, and the calibrated progression of the story, especially its harrowing final moments that solidifies Mr. Affleck as a talented and formidable director. "Argo" deserves to find the discerning audience it has been made for: After all, if we buy tickets, it hopefully leads to more intelligent, sophisticated filmmaking.
  42. Jan 17, 2013
    Nice movie, again Ben Affleck made an amazing film
  43. Mar 16, 2013
    This is not my favorite film of the year but it is the most well made film of the year on an all around score. It lacks my emotional captivation however it brings all the well moving parts of a hot evenly paced thriller (of sorts). It brings a fantastic script alive and I may forgive Affleck for faults in his previous career stumbles.
  44. Jul 23, 2013
    I liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. AllI liked Argo. In fact I even bought it on DVD. It's a very well made movie and it's entertaining. Afleck directs it with attention to detail and the story is rendered with a well written screenplay. The acting is solid from all of the cast and there are some tense and exciting moments. It also has a very authentic 70's feel, even utilizing vintage styled cinematography at times. All of that being said, I still found it to be very overrated. Yes there are some tense moments, but I wished there were even more, and the ones in the film, except for the beginning, could have been even tenser, seeing what Afleck did with The Town. The car chase at the end felt fake for some reason and some other scenes felt kinda flat too. Yes it's overall a good movie and another success for Afleck, but I don't think it deserved best picture. I think it should have went to Zero Dark Thirty, or Django Unchained, even though they had slimmer chances of winning than the hostages had of making it out alive. Expand
  45. Mar 30, 2013
    I was completely surprised by this movie. I thought it was going to be dull, but every line spoken is either interesting or funny. Very suspenseful. Must watch!
  46. Feb 2, 2013
    It's an interesting movie and well directed. It gives you some insight as to what happened. Though I would have liked some scenes on the other embassy employees that were held hostage. The best part for me was seeing the old Swissair 747 take off.... (But that's just because I'm Swiss)........... Btw, that 747 was named Argovia (after the Kanton/State Aargau) Argo is the short version.
  47. Mar 17, 2013
    lo deja a uno sin aliento ,argo es una obra maestra bien pensada y ejecutada pero lo que mas marca a argo con una película excepcional es su ultimo acto donde los americanos se suben al avión ira-ni
  48. Jul 30, 2013
    This movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near theThis movie was thrilling and an interesting story to be told in the form of film. Performances by the actors were incredibly convincing and the film was fantastically directed. Being unfamiliar with the subject matter however led to my disappointment when I realized the the movie made some changes from the original events. This was mainly to make the movie more tense, especially near the end of the movie, but alot of changes were made to increase the role of america in the event and diminish Canada's role and leave out the roles of countries like the UK and New Zealand completely. Overall if you ignore the fact that the movie is historically inaccurate then you've got a tense, enjoyable movie Expand
  49. Dec 15, 2014
    As neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, itAs neither an American nor a Canadian citizen, I get to watch this movie for what it is: a movie. If we consider it a crime film, it doesn't have a twisted enough plot. If we consider it a thriller, there's not enough tension. If we consider it a documentary, it's not true enough. Where are the laughs the critics are talking about? When are supposed to laugh? If we consider it a comedy, it doesn't make you laugh enough.

I understand it's a celebration of the American intelligence and it is intelligently released in a period where pretty much all of the Western World looks at Arabic countries with suspicion. I didn't know anything about the Canadian Caper and honestly, this film didn't make me curious about it.

Ben Affleck was in 2012, so that meant no facial expressions, and I get it. He did the same in To The Wonder. A notable yet tiny performance by Cranston is worth mentioning, the rest of the cast were blank pawns. The score, despite being Alexandre Desplat and all, I found irritating.

Not a bad movie, but not a great one either. It certainly doesn't deserve that 86. The political gets too much in the way to judge Argo without prejudice.
  50. Apr 6, 2013
    Argo is absolutely incredible. I have never had encountered so much suspense in a single movie. The plot was splendid, the acting was amazing, and the plan of Tony Mendez was crazy. I felt that this movie was very serious, but had sets of comic relief, with Lester and John Chambers. Overall, this movie has soared into being one of my favorite movies and I suggest everyone should check it out.
  51. May 11, 2013
    as most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one ofas most people i was over-excited to watch argo because my all time favorite movies are the ones based on true stories the movie have a good reputation an Oscar for best picture and add-in the fact that i love the movies directed by ben affleck so was the excitement worth it unfortunately no the movie is good not great and it have so many elements missing first of all it is one of the best Rescues in U.S history that we know of so it have to be intense but the fact that it's not intense only in a few scenes far away from eachother with some cold acting by ben affleck and not even a single intense acting scene and the fact that there isn't a soundtrack until the second half of the movie makes you disconnect from the story every 10 minutes i mean it's pretty obvious giving that ben affleck didn't recieve an Oscar for best directing because of these missing elements that made the movie a little bit disappointing but i give a pledge to the movie for showing real events with characters as exact as the real people and shine a light on those people because of what they have gone through. Expand
  52. Mar 24, 2013
    Not bad. No way. It's okay. It's well above average. But it isn't an appropriate Best Film of the the Year. Have fun, watch it--then go see a real stand out: Zero Dark 30.
  53. Mar 24, 2013
    Argo is magnificently brilliant in every way. It's perfect in terms of espeonauge and story telling (even though it's based on a true story). Not only was there great acting, but director, Ben Affleck, reels in some great acting as well. But overall, Affleck has given us an incredible experience of how far one man will go to save the lives of others.
  54. Mar 26, 2013
    Argo is a true thriller, bringing together suspense as well as an edge-of-your-seat experience. Were the people able to get out alright? I was granted a solid and well developed answer to this question. Unbelievable.
  55. Mar 31, 2013
    Despite some historical inaccuracies and having a pro-American approach, this is a fast paced political thriller which also has some moments of comedy (from Alan Arkin in one of his best roles) under the direction of star Ben Affleck who has now become something of a pro at making edge-of-your-seat movies. One of the best of 2012.
  56. Apr 11, 2013
    The movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was neededThe movie is very overrated, and I believe because Ben Affleck did a multitasking job, which I respect, but not enough to swipe nearly every Best Film category. The film lacked the opportunity given by having one of the greatest casts of 2012 and Ben Affleck seemed to shine himself, which wouldn't have been a major issue if he actually brought great emotion to his role, which was needed but never really delivered. Not considering the multiple awards, I did enjoy the film and it's colorful characters aside from Ben Affleck's. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2013
    Truth by chance. That is what Argo is. What Ben Affleck did is he took a really really awkward 'true' story and made a goddamn movie with it. So, it's rather funny how more serious things are portrayed in this film with true transparency and real ease. What more to say? You have to spend 120 minutes of your life being spellbound or damned by watching this. And only then you'll probably canTruth by chance. That is what Argo is. What Ben Affleck did is he took a really really awkward 'true' story and made a goddamn movie with it. So, it's rather funny how more serious things are portrayed in this film with true transparency and real ease. What more to say? You have to spend 120 minutes of your life being spellbound or damned by watching this. And only then you'll probably can decide whether to kiss me or to shoot me. Well, I might answer, 'Argo, damn yourself!' (They don't wanna let me write what I actually want to.) Expand
  58. May 12, 2013
    Argo is an intense thriller with almost no shots fired or over-the-top action. And the fact that it all actually happend makes it even more intense. The humor is great, the cast is brilliant, the shots look good, it all makes this movie so enjoyeble to watch. I highly recommend Argo, one of the best films of 2012!
  59. Apr 27, 2013
    A shocking movie full good quality Actors and Actions Magnificent like Goodman and Alan Arkin Jhon without removing the Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston keeps you in the seat expectant that happen in the movie is full of stress and Action
  60. Jul 3, 2013
    Amazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspensefulAmazing, well acted, well directed, gorgeous, breathtaking, suspenseful, amazing, well shot, wonderfully executed, and the list goes on and on. Argo, is a truly unique story and what makes it more unique is that all the events in the film actually happened. Argo is gold! A cinematic experience that will keep you at the edge of your seat the entire time. Its good old fashioned suspenseful excitement that is complete eye candy. I guarantee that ANYONE who watches this movie will enjoy it in any way, shape or form. Go watch Argo! Expand
  61. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautiful film that was nailed to the people, because this movie was made about my country.
    I had got a movie.
    Oscar was really the writing life.
    Mr. Affleck hurt.
    Blowing hot
  62. Jul 4, 2013
    A triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by a cast of breakthrough actors. After years of experience in the movie world, I think Affleck has finally given us his masterpiece. This is a near flawlessA triumphant piece of cinema. Argo consists of tension, sincerity, mystery, artistic responsibility, entertainment value, technical expertise, cinematography that seems like eye candy to the viewers and starling performances delivered by a cast of breakthrough actors. After years of experience in the movie world, I think Affleck has finally given us his masterpiece. This is a near flawless film given to us with an old-school espionage thrill ride with a truly flawless script along with dialogue that offers us with many memorable quotes and sarcastic and witty comedic relief. Every actor on screen does his or her job but there were three supporting actors that stole the every scene they were in: Bryan Cranston, Alan Arkin and John Goodman. A film worth remembering. Expand
  63. Apr 16, 2014
    Cuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buenCuando empece a verla en un principio me convenció, pero conforme avanza la historia se vuelve muy comercial con muchos tintes patrióticos, la verdad no sentí que los personajes estuvieran en un verdadero peligro, rescato los últimos minutos cuando están a punto de subir del avión, en donde agarra tensión, pero eso nada mas, ni la trama socio-política es muy buena, eso si tiene un buen montaje. Collapse
  64. May 25, 2014
    So this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they doSo this is my first film that i have watched that Ben Affleck has directed. Though i do own the town i have not watched it yet. But now after watching this movie i will now have to find the time to watch that and also gone baby gone. So this film is about the 1979 true story of the rescue of six American's from Iran, while most the film has a really gritty serious tone as it should they do seem to place some dark humor in it... well as much as they could.

The whole cast sold it from the start Ben Affleck/Alan Arkin/John Goodman/Bryan Cranston all just killed it but for me Alan Arkin stole the show everytime the guy is on the screen he steals it. The last half hour of the movie was so intense it's crazy pulse pounding nail biting tension i have not had that felling while watching a movie in some time well maybe just not to that extent. Now i can see how this film won best picture at the Oscars this year. Also i'm a bit mad at myself for not watching this film while it was still in theaters.

A great film that everyone should at least take the time to give it a watch i don't regret watching it Overall i give this movie an 8.5

Oh Yeah Argo F**K Youself =D
  65. Aug 23, 2013
    The idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that IThe idea is profoundly astonishing, and the reality that these events were reality, were even more astonishing. It's only downfall, unfortunately, is its bias towards the Americans. In general, I admire Ben Affleck as a director and producer, as well as John Goodman and Alan Arkin for the laughs they bring into the movie. The fake suspension makes the movie less banal, and for that I contemplate whether I like or hate it. Expand
  66. Sep 21, 2013
    One of a kind movie! Ben Affleck does a great job directing and portraying the main character. You hold your breath every step of the way until the end. It's unbelievable that it was based on a true CIA story. It's a real life Mission Impossible. The movie contains every detail from the characters to the era fashion. Clean movie and historic film for the family to watch, no profanity or nudity.
  67. Oct 18, 2013
    Especially I won't forget the escape scene with aircraft from Iran. I feel the operation Argo, I feel like I am in this Argo operation now. It impressed me, I feel some complicated feels but this film is in my hits.
  68. Dec 14, 2013
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short on expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  69. Dec 14, 2013
    The third movie in direction for Ben Affleck brings the world of old fashioned thriller movie into 2012 which is about 6 Americans trapped in Iraq ,the movie is outstanding directing ,acting great script is just WOW!
  70. Apr 7, 2014
    Ben Affleck's swift, skillful direction - including a fantastic opening sequence - fails to disguise the fact that "Argo" lacks any real style or substance, offering instead bland characterizations and caper cliches, not to mention gross historical inaccuracies that make this "epic" perilously close to a fabrication.
  71. Jan 3, 2015
    The only thing good about Argo is the fact that its based on a true story, but it obviously does not stop the fact that Ben Affleck is a bad actor and that Arabians speaking frantically is extremely annoying. This movie is great if you can get past Ben Afflecks acting and annoying Arabians acting like imbeciles. To keep it short and sweet like everyone should on this site, if you don'tThe only thing good about Argo is the fact that its based on a true story, but it obviously does not stop the fact that Ben Affleck is a bad actor and that Arabians speaking frantically is extremely annoying. This movie is great if you can get past Ben Afflecks acting and annoying Arabians acting like imbeciles. To keep it short and sweet like everyone should on this site, if you don't care for the true story don't watch it. If you do watch it, watch it. Then stop watching it and turn on something worth watching. Expand
  72. Feb 6, 2014
    Argo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it isArgo is for all intensive purposes one of the most over hyped films in quite sometime and given the fact that it is on the edge of being propaganda one can quickly realize why. While I applaud Afflek's continuing development as a director. This work aside from his direction is sub-par at best. Like all based on a true story films it is extremely loosely based, but the sheer fact that it is based on reality robs the movie of all suspense. Reality is fine for docudrama's but reality in terms of suspense is quite dull. Argo is a film that needs you to leave your brain at the door and hopes that you know not of things like history or something other ethnic stereotypes. From an entertainment standpoint that is usually a good choice in any film, check out and buy into what they are selling. However from a technical standpoint it creates films that falter.
    On Entertainment value I would give it a 7.5
    On the Poe Scale however it gets a 6.5

Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1.5/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  73. Dec 21, 2014
    Argo has great direction and acting, and builds up a thrilling and convincing piece of history. Despite accusations of inaccuracy and nationalism (even though the film only focuses on one small, isolated group of people undergoing a minor operation), this is still a very intense and gripping story that shouldn't be passed up.
  74. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a well done film by Ben Affleck who gives sharp direction and acting to this movie. It's triumphant and thrilling. Great performances from Affleck, Cranston, Alda, Goodman and the supporting cast
  75. Dec 19, 2014
    Smart, tense and well directed, "Argo" succeeds not just as a great movie but as a realistic political thriller that keeps audience entertained for 2 hours.
  76. May 11, 2014
    Interesting start
    Then comes abrupt stall somewhere between Hollywood and BBC
    So many usual hardships like divorced hero with a Son in shared custody far far away
    People do strange thing under duress but I am sure it wasn't like n this movie when embassy opens its doors because some officer wanted to reason with hostagetakers
    Couldn't bear it
    4 only
  77. Nov 9, 2014
    Argo balances suspense with fun and entertainment very well despite its slow pace. Although it falls short of Oscar winning expectations, it's old-school feel and tension escalates it from falling flat.
  78. Dec 22, 2014
    Argo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to john goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy) and one of the most suspenseful endings i've seen. for once my pick for best picture at theArgo is the film that made me think why are people worried that Ben Affleck is playing batman because this film is beyond brilliant. i loved every second of it's amazing true plot, great acting from a all star cast ( special mention to john goodman, Alan Arkin, Bryan Cranston and Scoot McNairy) and one of the most suspenseful endings i've seen. for once my pick for best picture at the oscars has actually won Expand
  79. Dec 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'If we're going to make a fake movie, we're going to make a fake hit!'
    Mr. Affleck, you've made a real one, an authentic masterpiece, which, even if some parts of the story were emebellished, paints a wonderful portrait of the human spirit. Combining geeky sci-fi ideas and spy like knowledge, one of the most unlikely heists imaginable is undertaken.
    As mentioned though, this is not only about effects and jargon- it's about cunning, brains, teamwork and above all enormous courage against all odds. Affleck for me, not only delivers a career director's performance but acts superbly as well. The best film of the year; great scenery, cultural and historical context and wit. 9.5/10
  80. Feb 5, 2015
    I can barely believe how good this movie is. It may not be necessarily perfect, but it's got so many great things going on. The acting is impeccable, the direction is great... but the standout is definitely the plot, the story. It's got such suspense and it's so entertaining that you soon forget the notion that "Argo" may sound like a boring film. Quite the opposite actually.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Nov 5, 2012
    An old-school espionage thriller with a movie-biz comedy twist, all the better for being (almost) entirely true. It is to Ben Affleck's credit that the tension and laughs complement rather than neutralise each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Jordan
    Oct 17, 2012
    Combining laughs and thrills with plenty of verve, Ben Affleck continues his smart directorial career with a stylish, gripping hostage drama.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 12, 2012
    Argo isn't quite on the level of the Sidney Lumet classics to which Affleck pays stylistic homage - smart and taut as it is, it lacks the broader political vision of a film like "Dog Day Afternoon." But Lumet lite still goes down pretty smooth.