Armageddon

6.0

1. Sep 18, 2011
    You know those original blockbuster movies that have limitless fun and amazing scenes? Well, the space blockbuster "Armaggedon" is on the top list for the category.
  2. Jun 9, 2013
    A pretty mediocre movie. Although saying that about a Michael Bay film is about as big a compliment as I can give him. Music is decent at times. but just isn't all that thrilling.
  3. Andrew
    Jul 30, 2005
    The single worst movie in existence. Glossy special effect driven rubbish with idiotic dialogue, a horrible script, and the most irritating display of American patriotism ever put to film. It's like watching a big, fat commercial- all style, no substance. Far too many one-liners, none of which are humorous, and characters that are as broadly conceived as possible. Every moment of the The single worst movie in existence. Glossy special effect driven rubbish with idiotic dialogue, a horrible script, and the most irritating display of American patriotism ever put to film. It's like watching a big, fat commercial- all style, no substance. Far too many one-liners, none of which are humorous, and characters that are as broadly conceived as possible. Every moment of the movie seems so manufactured, and most of it defies logic. A total insult to any remotely intelligent person! Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2015
    Armageddon has a lot to say, but mostly attempts to do so via special effects. Given some more character depth and better dialogue the film could have and should have been a hit. Those who aren't fans of Michael Bay's recent works, keep in mind--- this is done before the transformers film line was created
  5. Apr 25, 2015
    Armageddon's Charlton Heston-voiced opening narration, an account of how an asteroid seems to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs, is an ominous touch in every sense of the phrase. The text of the speech sets the stage for the threat of mass destruction promised by the movie's title, while Heston's voice assures that the threat will be addressed in the most American way possible.Armageddon's Charlton Heston-voiced opening narration, an account of how an asteroid seems to have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs, is an ominous touch in every sense of the phrase. The text of the speech sets the stage for the threat of mass destruction promised by the movie's title, while Heston's voice assures that the threat will be addressed in the most American way possible. And it is, thanks to a photogenic, ragtag bunch of misfits headed by Bruce Willis. Willis plays the world's greatest oil driller, recruited by NASA head Billy Bob Thornton to plant a nuclear bomb in the belly of an earthbound asteroid. Will Willis overcome his creepy attachment to his daughter (Liv Tyler), and reconcile with her oil-drilling lover (Ben Affleck) in time to save America and the rest of the world? What suspense there is in Armageddon naturally lies elsewhere. Will, for instance, director Michael Bay (The Rock) continue to find an excuse to place an American flag in every other shot? (This at one point includes a shot showing that the patriotic astronauts have gone to the trouble of planting one on the asteroid they intend to blow up.) Will Tyler be photographed in a way that doesn't make her look as if she's posing for a Revlon ad? Will this be the one film featuring a ragtag bunch of misfits in which the lovable fat guy makes it out alive? Fortunately, the near-incomprehensibility of the numerous action scenes and the disposability of the rest of the movie allow plenty of time to contemplate such things. The entire second half seems to consist of nothing but vibrating close-ups of heads shouting lines like, "I'm not leaving without my men!" and "We're jumping over that canyon!" As with The Rock, Bay directs Armageddon in a way that seems more concerned with constantly assaulting the senses than anything else, hoping perhaps that the quick cuts and constant explosions will distract from his film's many flaws. Unless you're extremely easily entertained, they probably won't. Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie. Wait- what do I think about this movie? Oh yeah. I hate this movie.
  7. Stu
    May 11, 2008
    Easily one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. Note, I'm comparing movies with similar budgets and I've seen em. This film has nothing. And I mean nothing. Explosions are like farts in the wind, nobody really cares. CG special effects do not effect me unless they are some what imaginative (such as: LOTR, FF-spirits within). I would actually go so far as to say that Easily one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. Note, I'm comparing movies with similar budgets and I've seen em. This film has nothing. And I mean nothing. Explosions are like farts in the wind, nobody really cares. CG special effects do not effect me unless they are some what imaginative (such as: LOTR, FF-spirits within). I would actually go so far as to say that the 1 point it may have gained for actually making it to the big screen (this is the, you've got a point for writing your name on the test, kinda point) was negated by the worst script and ideas I've seen in a movie since... since... Well, even plan 9 seemed to have a better script. Point is, this film was EXACTLY like Micheal Bay filming himself taking a shit on the camera and telling us to eat it. Because for some odd reason, you lot did. Expand
  8. DreH.
    Jun 25, 2009
    This movie is not bad, but not for everyone. Its an exciting thrill ride.
  9. Aug 27, 2010
    There are worse disaster movies out there, but there are also shorter ones (the popcorn tends to run out about halfway through the film, and then what do you do from there?)
  10. May 27, 2012
    I loved this movie and think it deserves a much higher rating. It is one of my favourite movies of all time, and his everything in it that appeals to my taste of entertainment.
  11. Dec 17, 2014
    The Most exciting action movie i have ever seen. I Loved it. Its got great action, it's very thrilling and just in my opinion a great movie. LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!
  12. AlexB.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Great special effects, great sound! Great movie!
  13. JoshM.
    Nov 29, 2008
    My gosh I hated this movie. #3 on my worst movies of all time list. The plot is the stupidest and is so predictable. But what I hated most was the constant barrage of obstacles the characters take. You might be saying "Oh but you need conflict for a good plot" But there are literally no seconds where a problem occurs in this movie! Oh no! The Russian dude is mad at us! 3 seconds later, oh My gosh I hated this movie. #3 on my worst movies of all time list. The plot is the stupidest and is so predictable. But what I hated most was the constant barrage of obstacles the characters take. You might be saying "Oh but you need conflict for a good plot" But there are literally no seconds where a problem occurs in this movie! Oh no! The Russian dude is mad at us! 3 seconds later, oh no! the handle on something I have no idea about broke! oh no! we have to save Ben Affleck! Oh no! the nuke is on! oh no! the military is evil! Expand
  14. NigeM.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Almost makes you wish a meteor would hit the earth. If this is what the public wants, they deserve to die.
  15. May 9, 2011
    Someone fire a gun into my eyes. You know, Eli Roth should make movie where someone sees this pile of **** and has to have an grisly process of unseeing it. I'd rather be that character than slowly kill my eyes, ears, and brain by rewatching this.
  16. Jan 13, 2012
    I'm not really sure about this movie. It was dull at most parts and the ending was cheesy in my opinion. I was a bit dissapointed to be honest.
  17. Oct 22, 2011
    This was a pretty bad movie. Pretty funny jokes and cool action sequences but not good storyline. It's a classic Michael Bay movie with a terrible storyline but with cool action sequences and special effects. If you like that kind of stuff I highly recommend it for you. It wasn't a horrible movie but it for sure wasn't the best movie I've seen by far(as you can see from the score i gaveThis was a pretty bad movie. Pretty funny jokes and cool action sequences but not good storyline. It's a classic Michael Bay movie with a terrible storyline but with cool action sequences and special effects. If you like that kind of stuff I highly recommend it for you. It wasn't a horrible movie but it for sure wasn't the best movie I've seen by far(as you can see from the score i gave it). But it did have really cool action sequences and special effects, don't get me wrong but the storyline didn't make much sense at all and the physics were terribly off. It did have a really awesome cast though. Including Ben Affleck(barely acting like usual, not my fav), Bruce Willis who did pretty well in this movie, Owen Wilson(cracking me up as usual), and many more. That's one more good thing about this movie and here's another bad thing, some of the acting sucked. Like Ben Affleck was terrible, Billy Bob Thorten was not good and I usually like him a lot in movies. So not the best acting. But good cast as I said before. It's a typical end of the world disaster flick with a lot of special effects and distruction, they have shallow story lines too like this one. Don't get me wrong it was a good movie but I like storyline in my movies. So Michael Bay is not my favorite director, actually he is my least favorite. :) Expand
  18. Oct 3, 2011
    I always saw this film as a real Pearl Harbor, and even with the participation of as Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor. Love stories the same, terminology dramatic equal. Pure Pearl Harbor, the big difference is that this is not based on fact.
  19. Jan 8, 2013
    All I have to say is that when I was watching this... My mom started crying and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life! Michael Bay, you suck.
  20. HidekiY.
    Mar 4, 2005
    It would have been funner if i ate a bowl of caltrops rather than sit through this god-awful boorish meaningless inane piece of junk. that being said, i advise you to see this movie to set the scale for all future sci-fi action filcks.
  21. Natam
    Sep 2, 2007
    So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with "Volcano"s, they took most of their frustration on Armageddon. Is it that bad? Looking back, not it all. It's even Influential in its own way. So, everybody's complaining it's predictable, and slashing the movie because of it. Fair? no. Please remember most of these reviews were written back in 1998, at the height of the disaster-film trend. Reviewers were fed up with "Volcano"s, they took most of their frustration on Armageddon. Is it that bad? Looking back, not it all. It's even Influential in its own way. Charachters are good enough for a PopcornMovie (what did you expect? The Godfather?), Special Affects are great, maybe noisy and dizzying, but this movie didn't market itself as Driving Miss Daisie anyway... As far as a summer blockbuster can go, it's one of the good ones. It's at least better than Transformers, by any means. Expand
  22. Albin
    Feb 10, 2008
    It was a great movie that I've seen over and over, and it is just as good as the first time I saw it. I see no big problems other than it was a crazy-unbelievable plot. Then again, its a HOLLYWOOD FILM so 10/10.
  23. raVen
    Nov 22, 2003
    Maybe it's unfair to the movie that I saw it only after hearing the awful Aerosmith soundtrack song played 68,000,000 times on the radio. But the movie is transparent in its intention to pass the torch from one concrete-jawed hero (Willis) to another (Affleck). It's like watching a two hour music video. Be scared here. Laugh now. Cry now. Be happy! Hooray! Take your trash as you Maybe it's unfair to the movie that I saw it only after hearing the awful Aerosmith soundtrack song played 68,000,000 times on the radio. But the movie is transparent in its intention to pass the torch from one concrete-jawed hero (Willis) to another (Affleck). It's like watching a two hour music video. Be scared here. Laugh now. Cry now. Be happy! Hooray! Take your trash as you leave, and pretend you weren't ripped off. Jeremy's right: Deep Impact went right where this went wrong. Expand
  24. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    Ok, so I guess it delivered the action sequences that the far superior "Deep Impact" didn't. But when cringing between predictability, one-dimentional, corny characters, hyper-kinetic editing, and some truly painful dialogue, I guess I didn't notice.
  25. CarlaC.
    Oct 19, 2005
    It's wonderful!!!!
  26. JustinL.
    May 14, 2006
    Something for everyone.
  27. Alex
    Jul 6, 2008
    I love this movie! I haven't even seen the whole thing (I missed most of the beginning and part of the middle) And I still got it! And as a bonus it has some of my favorite actors!
  28. MarcusL.
    Jan 5, 2009
    This movie was very sad. I loved it. It had great acting through all the actors. Bruce played another great performance. There was only one problem and that was how predictable it was. But, I still could watch it over and over again.
  29. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Dear God, please don't make me watch it again.
  30. ClareP.
    Jun 17, 2004
    I think dis is a wicked film!! It's so sad and really heart warming.
  31. AndrewM.
    Jun 24, 2004
    Cliched, predictable, far-fetched, formulaic and patronising...and also lots and lots of fun. It plays on all your emotions like a prodigy devouring a piano concerto, and you feel as such afterwards. It may not be a very good film by definition, but it is very good entertainment, by definition!
    Jun 13, 2005
    Not the best story, but to me it's like ID4. It gives you some nice dumb fun. When the Asteroid decapitated the guy and left his dog hanging, it's hard not to laugh. The space action is great. drilling is kinda boring, though. An htat russian Guy...genius.
  33. Gemmauwish
    Aug 13, 2005
    I think armageddon is one of the best films ever made,iv watched it about 40 times now and its stil ad gud as first time i watched it.
  34. JackS.
    Nov 22, 2008
    I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. Thats something, most movies are pretty predictable. But, I have to admit, this gave it away. You don't need to know watch the movie to know what I wasn't that bad, it was epic, it had great special effects, it was extrememly easy to guess the outcome, thats the main reason the movie lost so many votes, I like it anyway, thats just me. It had the best visual effects in 1998. Thats something, most movies are pretty predictable. But, I have to admit, this gave it away. You don't need to know watch the movie to know what happens. It is pretty kick-ass though. The only unpredictable part is HOW they end up blowing the asteroid up. (Sorry to those who wanna watch it, it is pretty obviouse though.) Expand
  35. JemS
    Aug 12, 2008
    Without doubt, honestly, without doubt, the worst film I have ever, ever seen. Mind-boggling, almost offensive, in its badness. My god. By the end, you'll be cheering for the asrteroid to give the culture that produced this film the fate it deserves.
  36. Aug 18, 2010
    While Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be going through the ups and downs of their journey to save Earth from total annihilation while communicating with the government and arbitrary love interestsWhile Armageddon does suffer from a 'been there, done that' quality, it's still an exciting and twisting adventure with characters you'll actually care about. From the you know what the movie's going to be like; the main heroes will be going through the ups and downs of their journey to save Earth from total annihilation while communicating with the government and arbitrary love interests back home. While it never really picks up until the final few moments of the movie, the plot is good enough to hold the movie and the acting is decent. The CG is also very good for it's time and really gives the scenes in space some pop, especially if viewed on Blu-Ray. It definitely isn't for everyone, and you've seen most of what's here before, but if you want a good popcorn flick this movie wouldn't be the worst choice you could make either. Expand
  37. Oct 15, 2015
    You have to push through the softer plot and be willing to go for a roller coaster ride to enjoy Armageddon. For its time, this movie was outstanding when you consider the visual effects from 1998. The cast is excellent and the tension is high or near-high the entire duration of the film. Not everyone can love this film, and that's fine, but for me Armageddon was a summer flick that wasYou have to push through the softer plot and be willing to go for a roller coaster ride to enjoy Armageddon. For its time, this movie was outstanding when you consider the visual effects from 1998. The cast is excellent and the tension is high or near-high the entire duration of the film. Not everyone can love this film, and that's fine, but for me Armageddon was a summer flick that was years ahead of its time and still stands as a decent end-of-the-world action thriller. Expand
  38. Oct 24, 2010
    screw the critics. go see this movie. it is that awesome!
  39. Nov 20, 2011
    It was actually rather good, A little unrealistic but it wouldnt be a Michael Bay film if it wasnt. Acting was ok for the most part, A few people I didnt really enjoy on screen. Far too long and really could and should have been shortened quite a bit to make for a better film. If you can over look the obvious flaws, Its not that bad.
  40. Feb 26, 2011
    The movie is like a roller coaster, but it is one without the need of seat belts. The movie definitely has certain thrills especially in the front part but it is quite boring throughout . A movie to watch unless you have lots of time to waste.
  41. Jun 11, 2011
    Part of me cant help enjoying this movie despite it being one Hollywood cliche after another. The cast is believable with a special mention to Peter Stormare who is excellent as the Russian cosmonaut Lev Andropov. Not for everybody but a far better movie than Deep impact which was of a similar vein.
  42. Feb 29, 2012
    The story doesn't reveal anything good to appeal and everything including the visual effects underachieves compared to other disaster movies that have been made so far. However, this is not Michael Bay's worst.
  43. Sep 1, 2012
    This is a pretty decent film with some great action scenes. the acting is a little sub par but by Michael bay standards it was very good. I really enjoyed it for what it was.
  44. Apr 7, 2013
    Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic. I say to them, "Are you a movie critic or just plain stupid? Movies are about entertaining the masses (and making money), not the border of realism."Armageddon isn't as bad as everyone says. I really do not see why everyone dislikes this movie. It isn't the best film out there, but it is entertaining. The thing that gets me furious is that critics complain that the movie isn't realistic. I say to them, "Are you a movie critic or just plain stupid? Movies are about entertaining the masses (and making money), not the border of realism." This movie has been ridiculed for being too unrealistic. Yet when you see other live-actions that are clearly unrealistic (Jurassic Park, Gremlins, which are good movies), you praise the absolute heck outta them!

Anyways, I felt that this movie had a great ensemble cast with the likes of Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Will Patton, William Fichtner, Steve Buscemi, Peter Stormare, Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP), and Owen Wilson. These guys had great interaction with each other. Overall, I felt that this was one of Michael Bay's successful endeavors that is entertaining and fun to watch.
  45. Jan 25, 2015
    Odiar Michael Bay é uma doença que mexe com a diminuição do Q.I,eu não tenho essa doença.
    Armageddon,É Um filme cheio de ação,humor e inteligência o que mais podemos pedir num filme. Fora o ótimo roteiro e só atuações de primeira classe. Bruce Willis,Steve Buscemi,Ben Affleck,Billy Bob Thornton,Michael Clarke Duncan,Peter Stormare,Will Patton,Owen Wilson,William Fichtner,Jason Isaacs,Ken Hudson Campbell e Liv Tyler que elenco!!! o que mais esperar de um filme???
  46. May 1, 2016
    Take an 80's action movie packed with every cliche in the book and a huge budget and Armageddon is what pops out. It's really not a bad movie if you can put your brain on mute and just go along for the ride. Probably it's biggest sin is it occasionally takes itself seriously, but that doesn't mean you have to! Great party movie with a few drinks and friends who can laugh at someTake an 80's action movie packed with every cliche in the book and a huge budget and Armageddon is what pops out. It's really not a bad movie if you can put your brain on mute and just go along for the ride. Probably it's biggest sin is it occasionally takes itself seriously, but that doesn't mean you have to! Great party movie with a few drinks and friends who can laugh at some classically bad dialog. Expand
  47. Jul 5, 2013
    The score was given for the drama. This film makes no sense and by that I mean not only plotwise, but physics seem to have been thrown outta the window too. Wrong advertising. Now if had been pushed as a comedy the score would have been much higher....
  48. Jul 12, 2014
    Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

Armageddon is stunning, entertaining, groovy and dramatic.

The opening scene is cool as it is massive, and I really enjoyed it! But after that it became a bit lame with to much slow and boring scenes, which I didn't like at all. The film overall thought, is very entertaining and the action is awesome! Armageddon is a highly unique film that combines a great story with wonderful actors as Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck, which truly are outstanding together. The music is also another aspect of the film that's wonderful, so dramatic, and I love it. Almost every detail in the film is perfect, besides the first slow half of the film and the "missing scenes" at some places that makes it a bit confusing.

A sadly but awesome film by Michael Bay, and the best (to date).

Armageddon gets a 8.3/10
  49. Apr 10, 2014
    For a space trip this movie can't construct a good atmosphere. Instead we have "heroes" from America, who are either too stupid for this mission or stereotypical (like the Russian). Seriously, why are these men selected for this mission? Because of their knowledge of boring, which is too hard for serious experts? Or are they the only US-people, who are capable? And some scenes are also soFor a space trip this movie can't construct a good atmosphere. Instead we have "heroes" from America, who are either too stupid for this mission or stereotypical (like the Russian). Seriously, why are these men selected for this mission? Because of their knowledge of boring, which is too hard for serious experts? Or are they the only US-people, who are capable? And some scenes are also so stereotypical, like the important "Success in the last second".

So this is for me a mediocre movie at best. I'm sorry, but I like "The Core" more (see the review for the reasons). I normally like movies in space, but this is one of the worst I've seen so far! It's an insult, that this movie got Oscar-nominations!
  50. Nov 19, 2015
    Decent movie as far as Michael Bay movies are concerned. I loved it as a kid but its just one of those movies where you grow up and realize that that alot of what makes the movie good, well, also makes it kinda dumb. The acting is choppy at times, the movie relies heavily on special effects, and the screenplay is just meh. The ending is really good and has always been a strong point of this movie
  51. Nov 17, 2014
    Jerry Bruckheimer presents A Micheal Bay film that really is a disaster . Not bad from director Micheal Bay Yes we have all heard the same story from every space story were the men come back train hard and get back in space and save the day the only job that is fit for the boys were have we seen this story before ? oh yes Space cowboys ( but it's way different). I like this movie it's aJerry Bruckheimer presents A Micheal Bay film that really is a disaster . Not bad from director Micheal Bay Yes we have all heard the same story from every space story were the men come back train hard and get back in space and save the day the only job that is fit for the boys were have we seen this story before ? oh yes Space cowboys ( but it's way different). I like this movie it's a space classic, The explosions are really good and there unexplainable to describe with groundbreaking effects. It's just Bay's humor that ruins the emotional moment that we see on this movie. It's not Abrams fault his humor well it was not cut out for the movie but all in out great screenplay. the only actors who take being in space seriously is Willis and Affleck , Steve Buscemi did not take being in this movie really seriously same with Wilson. Micheal Bay screws up again as a director. Grade A- Expand
  52. Jul 13, 2015
    ................................................ Incrível ............................................ Aventura .................................................... Muita comédia,ação e etc.............
  53. Oct 17, 2015
    IDON'Tunderstand assomebody couldgavenegativereviewfrom this amazingactionmixedcomedy................................................................................................Michael Bay is amazing director
  54. Jul 20, 2015
    ........................................................................................................................................................................................................44 imbecis Roger Ebert foi meio idiota em não gosta dessa obra-prima
  55. Dec 19, 2015
    A regular movie , because in some scenes were exciting , but very boring with the rest , but the fact of dying Porun asteroid is latent but not overestimated Michael Bay a bad run of a director, but there is no way to add another opinion.
  56. Dec 11, 2015
    The latest entry in the "let's kick some asteroid butt" stakes is a doomsday countdown spectacle from producer Jerry Bruckheimer and "Bad Boy" Bay that extends their commitment to extreme tosh. With no messing about, this opens on the demolition of downtown Manhattan plus the imperilment of a nice little dog, all within a few minutes. Yikes! It's a meteor shower, heralding "the worst partsThe latest entry in the "let's kick some asteroid butt" stakes is a doomsday countdown spectacle from producer Jerry Bruckheimer and "Bad Boy" Bay that extends their commitment to extreme tosh. With no messing about, this opens on the demolition of downtown Manhattan plus the imperilment of a nice little dog, all within a few minutes. Yikes! It's a meteor shower, heralding "the worst parts of the Bible" to come, and the first of a thousand-and-one big bangs: whenever there's a lull in proceedings, there's a wake-up call such as the splattering of Shanghai or - a highlight - the annihilation of Paris.

At the obligatory scientific-military crisis conflab with NASA's director (Thornton) we get a refresher course in extermination events. This particular cosmic uh-oh, Asteroid Dottie, is the size of Texas and will hit planet Earth in 18 days, leaving not even a bacterium alive. Our only hope is for a rock rendezvous mission to drill a hole deep into the sucker and nuke it at the core. Hence the urgent need to locate "the world's best deep-core driller". Cue Bruce Willis as Harry Stamper, a rowdy, globe-trotting maverick inspired by famed oil well firefighter Red Adair. Harry graciously agrees to save the world - like ya do - but only if he can take his own team with him.

Enter a ragtag bag of roughneck, rambunctious and ex-criminal cowboys who include Harry's calm best buddy (Will Patton), a gigantic muscleman Ving Rhames lookalike (Michael Clarke Duncan), a Zen-babbling young dude Matthew McConaughey lookalike (Owen Wilson), the handsome reckless stud (Affleck) - who's in love with Harry's gorgeous, headstrong daughter (Tyler) - and a wisecracking weirdo genius geologist (it could only be Steve Buscemi). Et voila, it's The Dirty Dozen in space! Except there are eight of them. Plus some Dudley Do-Right astronauts to shudder at the rogues' "wrong stuff" and shepherd them to where a driller's gotta do what a driller's gotta do. That's after they've raised hell in training, milked their comic schticks so long you hope all of them die, and bade their tender, tearful farewells, amid slo-mo homages to sundry heroic space films.

In addition to the two credited with the screenplay, Jonathan Hensleigh (The Rock, Con Air), and J.J. Abrams (Forever Young), a veritable mob of "serious" screenwriters - including Robert Towne, Paul Attanasio and Scott Rosenberg - was deployed to provide action ideas, key dramatic sequences, wisecracks for the boys. Collectively they should be cringing, because much of this opus has the basic content and tone of a Coca-Cola ad: extras clustered for intermittent, picturesque group poses at the Taj Mahal, a Midwestern farmstead or a Balkans village, eyeing the skies and sharing the moment. There are also abundant gag-making shots of stoic principals framed by the Stars And Stripes, hammering home the inadequacies of the Russians with their delapidated spaceware, or anyone else on earth, to undertake the task at hand.

A long halfway in, our hooligans finally lift off in two shuttles with their astronaut minders, and everything that can go wrong does, with bells on. There can't have been one explosives guy in Hollywood who didn't rack up major overtime pay while a rendezvous with the Mir space station adds a wacky space cosmonaut (Buscemi's lethal Fargo henchman partner Peter Stormare) to the team.

Had Armageddon foregone the comedy and corn, the film would have been an hour long instead of the two-and-a-half in which some potentially thrilling momentum is lost. But Bruckheimer's genius for posturing, vulgarity and cheap sentiment fun rivals Cecil B. DeMille's (hey, he even uses Charlton Heston as narrator!) To its credit, more happens in the first five minutes of Armageddon than in the whole of Deep Impact, and if you get off on global catastrophe you'll enjoy this more.

It's a million laughs (many of them unintentional), and it even has a mildly revolutionary ending. In a dismal summer for popcorn movies, this epic may be the silliest but still looks like the best shot.
  57. May 16, 2016
    Michael Bay returns to once again add more explosions to his film and give them a personality instead of the humans played in the movie. Bruce Willis plays a great title role and J. J. Abrams tried to make a great screenplay for this movie.
  58. Jan 4, 2016
    Producer Jerry Bruckheimer knows his core audience is small-town America, so he panders to them. He plays to their simple, fierce patriotism, uneducated view of the non-USA world and diminished, MTV-assaulted attention span. Consequently, he makes big, loud and successful blockbuster movies with stories every toddler can follow, told with overblown action-speak dialogue. It's both hisProducer Jerry Bruckheimer knows his core audience is small-town America, so he panders to them. He plays to their simple, fierce patriotism, uneducated view of the non-USA world and diminished, MTV-assaulted attention span. Consequently, he makes big, loud and successful blockbuster movies with stories every toddler can follow, told with overblown action-speak dialogue. It's both his strength and his weakness.

To this end, Armageddon flaunts the traditional disaster-movie stencil of building up the characters for the first 30 minutes. But we're too easily bored with that: we need faster, louder, bigger things to keep our attention. And Armageddon delivers: a space shuttle explodes and New York City is rocked by asteroid fragments that sever skyscrapers and send buses spinning through the streets in flames. It's a blockbuster opening made in heaven.

And while other disaster films are still mapping out their relationships, we flit frantically between giant telescopes, presidential meetings and NASA brain-storms, finally settling on an oil rig, where (for beautiful-daughter-related reasons) boss-man Harry (Willis) is chasing rebellious young redneck AJ (Affleck) around with a shotgun. It's an elephant syringe of attractive characters and plot exposition, speedballed in about the same time it takes to knock-up a Pot Noodle. "Breathless" doesn't even come close to describing the opening third.

But then, director Bay's pop-promo past comes back to haunt him as Armageddon fails to provide a satisfying pay-off. The set-up, delivered in sound-and-vision bites, is exhilarating, just as oil riggers being rounded up by the FBI in strip-joints looks great in shaky-cam. But Bay's talent is in capturing single, explosive moments, such as New York's swirl of fast-cut, high-octane devastation.

Once the shuttles are in flight, what's required (and distinctly lacking here) is a more linear method of storytelling. Between the unusual asteroid location and the rat-a-tat editing, it's hard to tell which characters are in which of the space shuttles, let alone what they are doing. A potentially great landing approach, for example, leaves you disorientated and squinty-eyed rather than high on adrenalin.

Plot ceases to exist and is replaced by a number of identikit action sequences that could have appeared in any order. There's a technical hitch, a crazed driller ("My God, he's got space dementia!") and a meteor shower, but no sense of impending doom. Compounding this modular feeling, events are sprung on the viewer with no build-up at all. "Look out! Meteor! BAM!" Another fatality. "Look out! Gas pocket! BAM!" It's supposed to be thrilling, but it's just confusing.

Thus the first act makes promises that the next two can't keep. It's annoying, as there's so much here to like: the ensemble cast is uniformly engaging, the dialogue is as funny and sparky as it is unlikely, and the effects are astonishing. Want to apportion blame? Then hurl it at Bay (for his over-editing) and the writers (for forgetting to insert a central plot).

Since it's an American film, they're allowed to save the world single-handedly. But do they really have to deck out every cute child in US-flag T-shirts, set every press conference against Stars And Stripes backdrops, and portray every other race in the crudest stereo-typical terms, with Indians in turbans gathered by the Taj Mahal and Italians on scooters outside pavement cafés? On the strength of recent releases, it would seem that they do.

Big explosions and WWF-style characterisations make this perfect fodder for excitable 12-year-olds. But, with a plot-free second half, it's more a $140 million pizza-and-six-pack film than a worthy con-tender to action classics like Face/Off or Die Hard.
  59. Mar 15, 2016
    Of course, Armageddon shows the audience how beautiful are the visual-effects nowadays, and it's full of heart and honest emotions. Sadly, this film contains a little kind of thin premise and unremarkable characters, with a thrilling story-telling but a, critcly, terrible idea, showing a real future moment in a wrong way.
  60. Mar 27, 2016
    Bruce Willis saves the world but can't save "Armageddon." The second and, mercifully, last of the season's nuke-the-asteroid-or-bust pre-millennium spectaculars is so effects-obsessed and dramatically be-numbed as to make "Deep Impact" look like a humanistic masterpiece.

Only question mark relates to the unexpected endurance “Deep Impact” has demonstrated, and whether the Paramount hit, the biggest 1998 release thus far, will indeed have a “Dante’s Peak”/”Volcano” dampening effect on want-see for this more elaborate and expensive, but even sillier and less engaging, production.

In theory a drama about the imminent end of the world if an asteroid hurtling toward Earth can’t be blown off course by some courageous astronauts, pic plays more like “Con Air Goes to Outer Space.” Making most of the decisions made by the “Deep Impact” team look good in retrospect, filmmakers here take delight in assembling a team of ex-cons, wise-asses, musclemen and jokers as the group that will try to save the world, but by their own example raise serious doubts as to whether humanity is worth saving.

It took five credited writers, and four more named in the press materials, to concoct this high-concept but otherwise staggeringly unimaginative tale, which parallels “Deep Impact” quite closely in its basic trajectory, if not in its details, tone and selection of characters. Earlier release, while hokey and directed like a careening train, at least took a thoughtful approach to the idea of impending global mortality; in “Armageddon,” doomsday is approached like a giant video game.

Picking on a New York City only recently demolished cinematically by Godzilla (one of “Armageddon’s” few decent chuckles stems from a fierce little Manhattan dog attacking a plastic toy Godzilla), film begins with fireballs raining down on Gotham, disemboweling Grand Central Station, decapitating the Chrysler Building and generally wrecking the town. Amazingly, however, despite the fact that an asteroid the size of Texas is heading straight for the planet, the U.S. administration figures it can keep a lid on the news, at least until it figures out what to do about it.

Determining, as in “Deep Impact,” that the only thing to do is to implant a nuke or two in the giant hunk of rock to split it apart before it creates a big bang that will assuredly do to humanity what a similar collision once did to the dinosaurs, NASA, repped by exec director Dan Truman (Billy Bob Thornton), recruits the world’s top oil driller, Harry S. Stamper (Willis), for the job. A maverick, but responsive to the greater international need, Stamper agrees on condition that he can select his own team, and it’s here that the picture becomes irretrievably ludicrous: The “Dirty 14,” which will fly up on two space shuttles, consists mostly of miscreants with bad attitudes, and Stamper compounds the insult to professionalism and integrity with the request that, should the group survive the mission, they all be rewarded by not having to pay income taxes ever again.

Much of the confusion, as well as the lack of dramatic rhythm or character development, results directly from Bay’s cutting style, which resembles a machine gun stuck in the firing position for 2 and a half hours. Perhaps someone will someday reveal how many separate shots make up “Armageddon,” but the count has to be one of the highest in Hollywood history; at a guess, there must be a cut every three seconds or so.

In order to enhance the film’s destructive possibilities, the mini-asteroids that serve as a taste of things to come are given unusually good aim, hitting only major cities — New York, Shanghai and, in a gratuitous late-in-the-game hit, Paris. In a lame attempt to globalize the drama, insert shots show thousands of natives praying in front of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul and the Taj Mahal (not a religious site) in India, which somehow only increases the jingoistic, thank-you-America-for-saving-the-world message.

Film’s performance style consists of yelling above the ambient noise, which is usually considerable. Special effects are incessant and sometimes pretty groovy but, given the length of time each shot is on the screen, they’re usually here one second, gone the next. All tech credits are predictably gigantic.
  61. Jul 1, 2016
    Armageddon surprised me with the way the entire third act was greatly crafted because of it's multiple Razzie nominations including "worst picture." Other than that this film has a variety of problems. It misleads you with intense sequences that compell you from start to finish, but if you carefully examin the other aspects, you'll find that it's a big disappointment for us as an audience.Armageddon surprised me with the way the entire third act was greatly crafted because of it's multiple Razzie nominations including "worst picture." Other than that this film has a variety of problems. It misleads you with intense sequences that compell you from start to finish, but if you carefully examin the other aspects, you'll find that it's a big disappointment for us as an audience. The acting, writing, directing, etc was all a faulter towards the film. It's sad to say that we expected this coming from Michael Bay.

Rating: 6/10

D+ = 2
    D = 1.5
    D- = 1
    F = 0

1. Director Michael Bay's filmmaking style is so frantic and frenetic that it's often impossible to figure out exactly what is happening.
    The movie is ridiculous, but since the special effects are really quite impressive, that seems a small point.
  3. The actors mark time, and the gung-ho heroics on display are embarrassingly hollow.