Army of Darkness

8.4

1. Jan 1, 2011
    After The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has time travelled to the medieval times (this is why it was unoffically called The Medieval Dead, a name I love btw) While Evil Dead was mainly horror, and EvilAfter The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has time travelled to the medieval times (this is why it was unoffically called The Medieval Dead, a name I love btw) While Evil Dead was mainly horror, and Evil Dead 2 was a mix of horror and comedy, Army Of Darkness is more comedy based than horror based. The film has been given a bigger budget, as can be seen with the films location moved to Medieval times, the Army Of Darkness and Bad Ash. Speaking of which... I liked Bad Ash, as a proper enemy for Ash rather than his cut off hand or some evil force that throws him like a rag doll. He was quite a good villian. Not too crazy on his love interest though. A bit bleh for me. This film has Ash as more of a jokester hero than the serious role he played in the last two films. He pulls off some quality lines "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. This is my BOOMSTICK!" but I prefered him more serious. As for the ending, I liked the bleak ending "I SLEPT FOR TOO LONG" but I prefered him returning to his time, because it felt kick ass. And it ended brilliantly "Hail to the king, Baby" Ultimately, this film was quite enjoyable, but the choice of comedy over horror made it feel like a bit of a dissapointment when compared to the previous two films. It felt like the right ending to the serious, a bats arse killer way to round off the evil dead story, and I think it deserved it. Expand
  2. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    Fun for a while, but seems better suited for a Sci-fi channel TV show than as a feature-length movie.
  3. Jan 31, 2013
    The thing about the Evil Dead franchise is you either enjoy them or you don't. I found the movie to be entertaining yet flawed. I enjoyed watching it but it could have been better. Solid watch imo.
  4. Nov 12, 2013
    A hilarious movie with funny and silly practical effects, but its a kind a movie you watch when you stumble upon it on TV when you have time to spare.
  5. Dec 8, 2013
    The weakest in Sam Raimi's trilogy (he seems to always be over-ambitious in the third instalments of his franchises). The plot is interesting but the cheap effect makes it look more like a medieval-times restaurant rather than a blockbuster picture.
  6. Jul 21, 2015
    I think Army of Darkness is for fans of Sam Rami or fans of Bruce Campbell. This movie is so ridiculous so it is somewhat of an entertaining watch just because you really can expect anything normal to happen. My favorite film in the Evil Dead series is the first film because they begin to get really wacky after that. Bruce Campbell is pretty fun to watch but no other funny or interestingI think Army of Darkness is for fans of Sam Rami or fans of Bruce Campbell. This movie is so ridiculous so it is somewhat of an entertaining watch just because you really can expect anything normal to happen. My favorite film in the Evil Dead series is the first film because they begin to get really wacky after that. Bruce Campbell is pretty fun to watch but no other funny or interesting characters are introduced. I respect Sam Rami for taking his series in an other direction but I can't say I'm a big fan of this film but I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can get some enjoyment out of it. Expand
  7. Jan 6, 2015
    It doesn't live up to the impossibly high standards set by its predecessors. Army of Darkness is a dark fantasy and comedy film, while the first two Evil Dead movies were horror films. It's funny, crazy, and certainly entertaining, but I just wished it had a bit more substance.
  8. May 1, 2016
    Despite not having 'Evil Dead' in its title, it's still apart of the Evil Dead franchise, so this should be a great movie to watch, right? Well, sort of.

A poor man's "Excalibur," but the fact of the matter is that the film displays far too little of the incisor-sharp wit and out-of-control mayhem readily available in the other two films. It just doesn't work.
    No matter what your opinion is of the movie, you're unlikely to be bored.
  3. The New York Times
    Reviewed by: Elvis Mitchell
    Army of Darkness would appeal to small children if it were not also too gruesome for them, since Ash does after all wield a chain saw. [19 Feb 1993, p.C10]