6.3

1. ChadS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Jerome's hero is Pablo Picasso, so surely, there is an awareness on his part of the dead white artist's famous observation that "good artists borrow; great artists steal." "Art School Confidential" is such a sour film; even its happy ending is laced with cynicism, as Jerome's deliberate misinterpretation of Picasso's quote brings him both, personal and professional Jerome's hero is Pablo Picasso, so surely, there is an awareness on his part of the dead white artist's famous observation that "good artists borrow; great artists steal." "Art School Confidential" is such a sour film; even its happy ending is laced with cynicism, as Jerome's deliberate misinterpretation of Picasso's quote brings him both, personal and professional successes. The filmmaker's potshots towards art school and its banalities are screamingly funny, but at the expense of humanity(this film is for misanthropes). Chip Kidd's novel "The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters" had both, the sling and the arrow, and its concentration was in art. "Art School Confidential", ultimately, is actually about film; more to the point, about genres and context. I wonder if the makers of "Brick" were inspired by this film. Expand
  2. DavidJ.
    May 27, 2006
    I thought this was a candy. Though not as clever as "Ghost World" in my mag, Clowns still manages to put a very unique view on the art school life style. Yes it was. And no it wasn't ophmoric humor (and don't get me right i die for those), but even so it was like a breath of contaminated air for me : )
  3. MelissaM.
    May 8, 2006
    Another great film from Zwigoff!
  4. gb
    Jul 3, 2007
    This movie is so pitifully dull. There is nothing compelling about the central character, nor are his motivations worthy of any sympathy. There seems no point of access by which to enjoy this film.
  5. BruceO.
    May 14, 2006
    This had to be one of the most worthless, absurd, trite, horrible movies I've seen in quite some time. How do films like this even get made?
  6. TomB.
    May 14, 2006
    I thought that the movie started off nicely enough and gave us some characters we would like to see more of; Unfortunately, the whole storyline gradually got off track, discarding many of the more interesting characters and potentially interesting subplots, and by the last fourth went in a whole different direction (an odd and uncompelling murder mystery!) which didn't really fit I thought that the movie started off nicely enough and gave us some characters we would like to see more of; Unfortunately, the whole storyline gradually got off track, discarding many of the more interesting characters and potentially interesting subplots, and by the last fourth went in a whole different direction (an odd and uncompelling murder mystery!) which didn't really fit with the tone of the first three acts. The last twenty minutes to half hours were flat and uninteresting. Expand
  7. SusanS.
    May 26, 2006
    I really enjoyed this movie--and I was a little skepitcal after I'd read reviews of it...but then, when I was watching it, I realized that the whole thing is a parody. A very dark, serious parody. Which is really my bag. Sure, some things could've been more clever or slightly better written, but on the whole, it was quite worth seeing. But be forewarned: this is not to be taken I really enjoyed this movie--and I was a little skepitcal after I'd read reviews of it...but then, when I was watching it, I realized that the whole thing is a parody. A very dark, serious parody. Which is really my bag. Sure, some things could've been more clever or slightly better written, but on the whole, it was quite worth seeing. But be forewarned: this is not to be taken seriously. It takes itself quite seriously, but if you've ever been to art school or liberal arts college, you'll understand. While the plot pretends to be serious, I found myself laughing out loud at what seemed to be the most serious and intimate parts, which is what I think fooled critics. This movie is not about the profoundness of art. It's about what art drives people to. And sometimes that's homicide. Expand
  8. CaseyS.
    May 7, 2006
    Zwigoff employs too many cliches in this movie. I can see how the style is designed to reflect the art school atmosphere and the far too serious approach taken to art by many artists, but as a non-artist I found it a little over the top. There were many funny moments, but the "journey" that the character goes on through the film is one that you can see in any teenage sports movie, this Zwigoff employs too many cliches in this movie. I can see how the style is designed to reflect the art school atmosphere and the far too serious approach taken to art by many artists, but as a non-artist I found it a little over the top. There were many funny moments, but the "journey" that the character goes on through the film is one that you can see in any teenage sports movie, this film is just set in an art school. Make it a renter and save yourself some money. Expand
  9. PabloP.
    Jun 17, 2006
    only see this film if you've been to art school. you'll be able to relate with some of the situations. everyone else should chose another film to see.
  10. TimM.
    Jun 4, 2006
    This is one other most unamusing, ignorant, nihilistic, infantile wastes of time currently haunting late imperial America's movie houses and that is saying a lot. Don't waste your money.
  11. PeteM.
    Aug 26, 2006
    While I would agree that it lacks the emotional weight of Ghost World and doesn
  12. JH
    Jan 23, 2007
    This is a terrific movie. It is funny, smart, and the acting and directing are wonderful. Rent this!
  13. LindaL.
    Feb 19, 2007
    This movie was so bad that it actually surprised me -- especially considering the "two thumbs up" and connections to the very good "Ghost World" and "Bad Santa." Enjoyably mordant observations of art-school hypocrites give way to developments (re the serial killer subplot) that are just as inexplicable as they are ridiculous.
  14. James
    May 13, 2006
    Very funny stuff. It's lowbrow humor for a highbrow crowd. A T&A film for intellectuals. Anyone who's been to art school will be able to appreciate it all the more.
  15. AdamH.
    May 13, 2006
    I have no problem with a movie about art school students that might appeal to art school students. But what about the rest of the audience? Bored and depressed--two or three genuinely funny moments killed by sterotypes and a dozen other moments MEANT to be funny, that end up being squirm-in-your-seat akward.
  16. Mase
    May 16, 2006
    Luckily I didnt listen to the critcs and saw this underrated dark comedy from Zwigoff. I understand not everyone will get this movie but I had alot of fun, I'm glad Zwigoff makes movies about themes he obviously knows and cares about. It's obvious in the strange warmth this movie has for it's characters even as it skewers them. I was smiling throught often laughing out Luckily I didnt listen to the critcs and saw this underrated dark comedy from Zwigoff. I understand not everyone will get this movie but I had alot of fun, I'm glad Zwigoff makes movies about themes he obviously knows and cares about. It's obvious in the strange warmth this movie has for it's characters even as it skewers them. I was smiling throught often laughing out loud. We don't get original comedies like this often. If you like say RV then you probably won't like this.... eveyone else who appriciates smart well done comedy go. Expand
  17. DeelonE.
    May 21, 2006
    I thought this was a treat. Though not as clever as "Ghost World" in my book, Clowes still manages to put a very unique view on the art school life style. Yes it was dark. And no it wasn't sophmoric humor (and don't get me wrong i live for those), but even so it was like a breath of fresh air for me.
  18. KenG.
    May 28, 2006
    I think this was supposed to be a quirky black comedy, that grows increaseingly dark. Unfortunately, this misfire comes off as a movie trying too hard to be quirky, that grows increaseingly drab, rather then dark.
  19. JimG.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Fun characters in black comedy better enjoyed in Clowe's comics than onscreen.
  20. SamB.
    Jul 25, 2006
    This is a nasty little gem that skewers the grad/art school pretensions that a lot of knucklehead sycophants wrap their heads around, the only reason why it's getting such low scores is because it calls a lot of so called experts on their credentials and they're severly butt-hurt over it.
  21. BillyD.
    Aug 27, 2006
    I enjoyed this movie and would definitely watch it again. John Malcovich was quirky-good as usual.

Zwigoff has a rich comic gallery of pretentious boobs to lampoon. But his satirical target just seems too easy this time around: It's hard to spoof institutions that already veer so close to self-parody.
    We still love you, Terry. Happens to the best of us. But, man, what a stinky load. Someone get the hose.
  3. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    With an "Animal House"-ish deportment, Art School likely will entertain a sophomoric audience and etch some winning college-kid figures, but art house audiences will be disappointed by its paint-by-numbers storytelling.