Art School Confidential

6.3

1. TomB.
    May 14, 2006
    I thought that the movie started off nicely enough and gave us some characters we would like to see more of; Unfortunately, the whole storyline gradually got off track, discarding many of the more interesting characters and potentially interesting subplots, and by the last fourth went in a whole different direction (an odd and uncompelling murder mystery!) which didn't really fit I thought that the movie started off nicely enough and gave us some characters we would like to see more of; Unfortunately, the whole storyline gradually got off track, discarding many of the more interesting characters and potentially interesting subplots, and by the last fourth went in a whole different direction (an odd and uncompelling murder mystery!) which didn't really fit with the tone of the first three acts. The last twenty minutes to half hours were flat and uninteresting. Expand
  2. CaseyS.
    May 7, 2006
    Zwigoff employs too many cliches in this movie. I can see how the style is designed to reflect the art school atmosphere and the far too serious approach taken to art by many artists, but as a non-artist I found it a little over the top. There were many funny moments, but the "journey" that the character goes on through the film is one that you can see in any teenage sports movie, this Zwigoff employs too many cliches in this movie. I can see how the style is designed to reflect the art school atmosphere and the far too serious approach taken to art by many artists, but as a non-artist I found it a little over the top. There were many funny moments, but the "journey" that the character goes on through the film is one that you can see in any teenage sports movie, this film is just set in an art school. Make it a renter and save yourself some money. Expand
  3. PabloP.
    Jun 17, 2006
    only see this film if you've been to art school. you'll be able to relate with some of the situations. everyone else should chose another film to see.
  4. AdamH.
    May 13, 2006
    I have no problem with a movie about art school students that might appeal to art school students. But what about the rest of the audience? Bored and depressed--two or three genuinely funny moments killed by sterotypes and a dozen other moments MEANT to be funny, that end up being squirm-in-your-seat akward.
  5. KenG.
    May 28, 2006
    I think this was supposed to be a quirky black comedy, that grows increaseingly dark. Unfortunately, this misfire comes off as a movie trying too hard to be quirky, that grows increaseingly drab, rather then dark.
  6. JimG.
    Jul 21, 2006
    Fun characters in black comedy better enjoyed in Clowe's comics than onscreen.

Zwigoff has a rich comic gallery of pretentious boobs to lampoon. But his satirical target just seems too easy this time around: It's hard to spoof institutions that already veer so close to self-parody.
    We still love you, Terry. Happens to the best of us. But, man, what a stinky load. Someone get the hose.
  3. With an "Animal House"-ish deportment, Art School likely will entertain a sophomoric audience and etch some winning college-kid figures, but art house audiences will be disappointed by its paint-by-numbers storytelling.