Astro Boy

6.0

1. JacobP
    Nov 1, 2009
    Nothing short of excellent. I'm tired of critics with no clue dictating to audiences what kids will and won't get. This is a great movie which balances themes of father and son; laugh-out-loud humour and fantastic action. Plus- giant robots are always cool.
  2. cm
    Mar 29, 2010
    Astro boy was a great family movie. It had a good moral story to it. It taught kids that they should give everyone a chance before they judge each other. It also showed that we are all different in certain ways and can still get along with everyone no matter how different we are.
  3. ChadS
    Oct 25, 2009
    "Who's driving?" asks Toby(Freddie Highmore) to his mates in the flying vehicle's backseat, and before the reveal, the moviegoer thinks that Ham Egg(Nathan Lee) is behind the wheel, but it's the "dog", a robot named Trashcan, who leads the boy's rescue from General Stone's henchmen. The embittered scientist, to my delight, never overcomes his prejudicial feelings "Who's driving?" asks Toby(Freddie Highmore) to his mates in the flying vehicle's backseat, and before the reveal, the moviegoer thinks that Ham Egg(Nathan Lee) is behind the wheel, but it's the "dog", a robot named Trashcan, who leads the boy's rescue from General Stone's henchmen. The embittered scientist, to my delight, never overcomes his prejudicial feelings about robots, even though Astro Boy saved his life at the Robot Games. Sad though it may be, the moviegoer has to make allowances for the commercial obligations that a mainstream filmmaker abides by, so it should come as no surprise when Dr. Tenma(Nicholas Cage) brings his robot son back into the fold. The happy ending is a necessary evil, and as "ad nauseum", "Astro Boy" has one, but at least it's not an across-the-board happy ending. During the Robot Games, where Toby squares off with machines in a duel to the "death", Cora(Kristen Bell) can hardly meet his soulful eyes, whereas her mentor never sees the inherent cruelty in this barbaric exhibition. Toby, and all the human androids that came before him, who tried to pass themselves off as flesh and blood, are allegorical figures: light skinned blacks(like Lana Turner in Douglas Sirk's "Imitation of Life"), while the "other" robots(read: dark-skinned blacks), the revolutionaries(one quotes Malcolm X) who try to recruit Toby, don't stand a chance in the assimilation game. They look like robots. Ham Egg's unwavering bigotry keeps "Astro Boy" real, relative to a lot of other children's movies, which would stamp out all racism with expediency. Expand
  4. PabloR
    Oct 23, 2009
    This movie was amazing! Great Voice acting by everyone, especially Kristen Bell, good amount of action, and a nice slightly dark story. I found it great, and I'm well in my 30's.
  5. JudyT
    Oct 26, 2009
    Wonderful animation with a story both kids and adults could appreciate.
  6. JohnS
    Nov 30, 2009
    This movie deserved more attention and praise than it got. Thank god I ignored the critics and saw it. It was awesome. It had great fight scenes, great animation, lots of heart. One of my favorite animated films ever. The critics that dumped on this were dead wrong. Not to mention full of it lol!
  7. AlanS
    Oct 24, 2009
    Great kids film! Highly recommended. Took my boys 5 and 6 years old and they were hooked. Perhaps a bit scary for the younger one. Personally, I really enjoyed the look and feel of the film as well the interesting and quite emotional storyline. Much better than the standard Ice Age/Madagascar type schtick.
  8. HarveyB
    Oct 27, 2009
    Astro boy is an animated film about a boy who dies and metaphysically gets reincarnated as a boy robot. Sticking true to its roots (including the butt check cannons), Astro boys goes and battles countless robots all while I yawn. The story is fairly interesting and the political slant obvious but if you finished watching "Where The Wild things are" or simply like animated action, check Astro boy is an animated film about a boy who dies and metaphysically gets reincarnated as a boy robot. Sticking true to its roots (including the butt check cannons), Astro boys goes and battles countless robots all while I yawn. The story is fairly interesting and the political slant obvious but if you finished watching "Where The Wild things are" or simply like animated action, check out Astro Boy. Expand
  9. RheeJ.
    Oct 29, 2009
    I was a fan as a kid, and had completely forgotten about Astro boy until my two sons came home from school, babbling on an on. Went after school last night, and loved it. It's deeper than most kids fare, and my youngest (5) shed a tear when Astro was rejected by his dad (but later happy ending). Great fun, for me and children. Dad will take them again this weekend.
  10. Jun 12, 2011
    better ignore these annonying critics,and just enjoy a great animation that both kids and adults would really love. I really loved the story,especially the emotional aspect. Superb action,and a great voice acting,astro boy is definitely up there with the great's,don't care what the critics say

1. Derivative bits aside, the pint-sized Japanese icon takes flight in vibrant CG animation -- no 3D glasses required.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Barker
    Appropriately for a film about robots, efficiency is the primary virtue of Astro Boy, a well-oiled CG-animated superhero pic that makes up in competence and vitality what it lacks in originality.
  3. What’s ultimately more impressive than the vigorous madcap action and innocuous humor, however, is Bowers’s willingness to address adult themes--alienation, regret, class tensions--with a directness that shows a surprising respect for his target young-adult audience